Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,186 members, 7,839,038 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 12:46 PM

Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming (27967 Views)

Bishop Oyedepo Said He Will Open The Gates Of Hell On Whoever Opposes GEJ. / Senate Approves UNILAG Renaming / Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by koruji(m): 1:16am On May 31, 2012
Can you for once make your point without displaying your god-view of President GEJ.

For the upteenth time, GEJ cannot do "anything he wishes". There will always be consequences for anything anybody does, talkless of someone who is supposed to represent the desires and hopes of 160 million.

GEJ didn't build University of Lagos, and in 3 years time he will lose the power to do anything like this.

That is not to far from here - just look at how fast the last one year disappeared into history.

Beaf: GEJ can do anything he wishes with the name of Unilag Maulag.
If anyone deslikes it, they can build their own.

I am very happy Abiola has been immortalised.
He lived in Lagos, worked in Unilag, carried out the struggle in Lagos, was arrested in Lagos, many died for his mandate in Lagos, his wife Kudirat was shot dead in Lagos, Abiola's Concord newspaper house was burnt down and closed in Lagos, Alex Ibru was shot in Lagos over June 12, Guardian newspaper was burnt and closed in Lagos, Abacha attacked the BBC transmitter in Lagos.

Blood flowed like water in Lagos.

Many people don't know the gravity of the rejection of MKO. They really don't know.
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by ak47mann(m): 1:19am On May 31, 2012
My advice to abiola students is that they should stop protesting beacuse their governor will release mopo with tear gas and riot gears the next day if they keep distracting the state activities,they should remember fuel subsidy coolwarning beacuse na them go lose.........
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by coogar: 1:20am On May 31, 2012
koruji: Can you for once make your point without displaying your god-view of President GEJ.

For the upteenth time, GEJ cannot do "anything he wishes". There will always be consequences for anything anybody does, talkless of someone who is supposed to represent the desires and hopes of 160 million.

GEJ didn't build University of Lagos, and in 3 years time he will lose the power to do anything like this.

That is not to far from here - just look at how fast the last one year disappeared into history.

he doesn't have to build it to control it....he's the commander-in-chief.
no man can lay claims that they build unilag. they are only custodians.
jonathan is the custodian now...of the government that owns unilag.
he has all the rights to name it anything he so wishes. it's the federal government's
property.
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by jason123: 1:21am On May 31, 2012
Prof Wole, VERY WELL SAID!!!
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by Beaf: 1:24am On May 31, 2012
koruji: Can you for once make your point without displaying your god-view of President GEJ.

GEJ can do anything he likes with the name. Unilag belongs to the FG.
So long as the name is responsible, it is fine. FG has named FG property.
Otan ni. cool
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by ektbear: 1:26am On May 31, 2012
Common sense. Such a rare thing at times among people. But clearly Soyinka has it.

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by Nobody: 1:26am On May 31, 2012
coogar:

where in the tenancy agreement does it say i cannot make changes in
the structure of the building? the owner is the owner. he has the
right to do whatever on his property as long as he does not bring
any harm to his tenants. renaming brings no harm. he named it
mko abiola(who must have donated billions of naira to the same institution).

Since we're just hypothetically talking, I can't refer you to your "lease agreement".
But realistically speaking, I can refer back to my own lease. My renters/ maintenance workers must notify me if they need to change anything in my apartment before they can. Repainting the wall can call for a lawsuit. do you know why? Because fresh paint might be my asthma trigger, but they dont know about that because I was never informed before they repainted my apartment. You can argue that out by arguing that he brought harm to me without any intention to do so. However, such thing could have been prevented if a lil noticed had been given.

they can close it down and turn it into a zoological gardens.
thank feck, the lagoon is behind the school. it would be a perfect tourist attraction.
there's still unibadan, uni of ife, uniben, uniport, ado bayero and the federal govt owns them all.
they wouldn't lose any sleep over unilag which is a glorified whorehouse anyways.

You're not serious.

and he named it after their hero. how many lagosians laid their lives down for abiola
in 93/94? even when he died in 98? they must be hundreds of thousands! so jonathan
decided to honour the man that fought for democracy in nigeria a university and the students
are protesting like ingrates. he didn't name it babangida uni, abacha uni, chukwumerije uni or
nzeribe uni? i dunno where this aggression is coming from - probably grudges nursed against
jonathan since the subsidy removal.

This is getting sentimental. How are we to be certain that those are even the same group of people who laid their lives out in 93/94? If I recall, at 93/94, I wasn't into the politics. Who knew if these student had been properly and respectfully approached, they would have taken it better.
A business owner does not just change his products without doing a lil research on his business' demand/supply.
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by aljharem(m): 1:29am On May 31, 2012
Beaf:

GEJ can do anything he likes with the name. Unilag belongs to the FG.
Otan ni. cool

Can you shut up already, you talk like an ideeiot and we keep correcting you but you chose not to learn.

GEJ and NO MAN can do what he likes on a government institute in a democratic ruling. We are correcting you and you still chose to display your ignorance.

The fact remains he did not follow the rule of law before doing such. The FG is not ONLY the executive

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by Beaf: 1:31am On May 31, 2012
^
I don't discuss with fools.
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by koruji(m): 1:34am On May 31, 2012
Well, what did I expect? I guess GEJ now has the right to rename your child or wife or girlfriend because the FG gives you money to be their mouthpiece on NL.

When people appointed to represent a larger group begin to consider themselves "owners" they enter an endless cycle of alienating those they represent.

What is their value then? Zero, zip, nada. Their egos may be soothed, but they will never know the satisfaction of true people-acceptance.

Besides, power is so fleeting.

Beaf: GEJ can do anything he likes with the name. Unilag belongs to the FG.
Otan ni. cool
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by coogar: 1:34am On May 31, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

Since we're just hypothetically talking, I can't refer you to your "lease agreement".
But realistically speaking, I can refer back to my own lease. My renters/ maintenance workers must notify me if they need to change anything in my apartment before they can. Repainting the wall can call for a lawsuit. do you know why? Because fresh paint might be my asthma trigger, but they dont know about that because I was never informed before they repainted my apartment. You can argue that out by arguing that he brought harm to me without any intention to do so. However, such thing could have been prevented if a lil noticed had been given.

if a landlord wants to repaint his house, it's a matter of "when" not "why"....
when - because he wants you to be aware he's coming. if you're going to be in or not.
if you're not in. the landlord would help himself in...do what he's gotta do n leave the place.
you cannot ask him why he's painting his house. are you aware the vice chancellor is appointed
by the government? the government pays his salary including the academic staff and the non-academic staff.

and yet, they have the chutzpah to look into the eyes of their employers and demand the cause of the
death of their ancestors. such insolence! jonathan is a mumu president. the only thing i disagree
about is this ish should have been done since 98 or 2008(abiola's 10th memorial). it's rather belated
and looked like jonathan was trying to appease the south west for the next atrocity he's about to commit.

You're not serious.

i'm working on the statistics of the number of marriages unilag
has broken in nigeria. the stats would shock you.

This is getting sentimental. How are we to be certain that those are even the same group of people who laid their lives out in 93/94? If I recall, at 93/94, I wasn't into the politics. Who knew if these student had been properly and respectfully approached, they would have taken it better.
A business owner does not just change his products without doing a lil research on his business' demand/supply.

the government does not need to.....i mean, is this the first time the government has taken
a unilateral decision? the government increases/decreases the fees as they please. they pay
wages when they please. they increase/decrease the salaries as they please. so why do the students
suddenly expect the government to consult them at national stadium before naming the institution?

this is more than the renaming. the oil subsidy issue still burns a hole in the hearts of lagosians.
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by bittyend(m): 1:34am On May 31, 2012
All these glorified technical colleges in Nigeria should be named after the monkey species in the jungle called Nigeria.. MAU sounds like a monkey name, so, I guess it isn't a bad idea after all.. Muhehehehehehehe
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by Beaf: 1:36am On May 31, 2012
koruji: Well, what did I expect? I guess GEJ now has the right to rename your child or wife or girlfriend because the FG gives you money to be their mouthpiece on NL.

When people appointed to represent a larger group begin to consider themselves "owners" they enter an endless cycle of alienating those they represent.

What is their value then? Zero, zip, nada. Their egos may be soothed, but they will never know the satisfaction of true people-acceptance.

Besides, power is so fleeting.

The FG owns Maulag. Abi na ya papa build am?
If you don't like it, go and build your own.

MKO has been immortalised. Thank God.
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by koruji(m): 1:40am On May 31, 2012
He doesn't control jack. He has authority given to him according to the constitution. He is not omni-Nigerian, just our representative.

Look at the our very closely - that means we must be carried along if he wants our cooperation and praise.

That he became president doesn't mean he owns or controls Nigeria. He controls that part of it which the constition allows him - and if he misuses his fleeting authority then he should not expect to be honored in return.

coogar:
he doesn't have to build it to control it....he's the commander-in-chief.
no man can lay claims that they build unilag. they are only custodians.
jonathan is the custodian now...of the government that owns unilag.
he has all the rights to name it anything he so wishes. it's the federal government's
property.
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by bittyend(m): 1:41am On May 31, 2012
^Maulag? - is that another monkey specie in that jungle?

Whatever happened to the idanre monkeys and their amu amu amu sound... I guess it's mau mau mau now..

Divide that jungle with a nuke, and let me hear word jor.
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by coogar: 1:43am On May 31, 2012
koruji: He doesn't control jack. He has authority given to him according to the constitution. He is not omni-Nigerian, just our representative.

Look at the our very closely - that means we must be carried along if he wants our cooperation and praise.

That he became president doesn't mean he owns or controls Nigeria. He controls that part of it which the constition allows him - and if he misuses his fleeting authority then he should not expect to be honored in return.

unfortunately, jonathan is the c-in-c!
he's now the custodian of the organisation that owns
unilag. you guys voted for him, thankfully. he didn't
get there by coup d'etat. was it not barely 12 months
ago when nigerians were celebrating/jubilating that jonathan
is now in power?

what happened all of a sudden? una relationship can't
just end like that, can it? grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
instead of the students to channel their energy into
something more productive, they are busy wasting their
time fighting a lost cause.
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by koruji(m): 1:48am On May 31, 2012
Years of military rule has done bad things to Nigerians.

President GEJ is president of Nigeria, not c-in-c of Nigeria.

He is c-in-c of the armed forces, not Nigeria - big difference.

Last time I checked UNILAG was not a military institution.

Less emphasize on the "power", more on the "people", please.

coogar:

is now in power?

Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by Nobody: 1:48am On May 31, 2012
coogar:

if a landlord wants to repaint his house, it's a matter of "when" not "why"....
when - because he wants you to be aware he's coming. if you're going to be in or not.
if you're not in. the landlord would help himself in...do what he's gotta do n leave the place.
you cannot ask him why he's painting his house. are you aware the vice chancellor is appointed
by the government? the government pays his salary including the academic staff and the non-academic staff.

So exactly who did GEJ notify of this rude and prompt change? GEJ's intention was to please the people of the SW BY "IMMORTALIZING" Abiola, his intention was to "serve" the people .But how can you serve the people if you do not respect what the people want? This is not a communist nation where the "king" does what he does, when he wants. If you want to celebrate democracy, why slap people in the face by treating them as nothing less than "subjects"?

and yet, they have the chutzpah to look into the eyes of their employers and demand the cause of the
death of their ancestors. such insolence! jonathan is a mumu president. the only thing i disagree
about is this ish should have been done since 98 or 2008(abiola's 10th memorial). it's rather belated
and looked like jonathan was trying to appease the south west for the next atrocity he's about to commit.

So because Obama is president, he can just go ahead and change the White house to Black house without notifying the nation? This is what I'm getting from your logic. and you tell people that they do not have the right to protest.

i'm working on the statistics of the number of marriages unilag
has broken in nigeria. the stats would shock you.

So changing UniLag to Mau-Mau will change the direction of the statistics?

the government does not need to.....i mean, is this the first time the government has taken
a unilateral decision? the government increases/decreases the fees as they please. [b]they pay
wages when they please. they increase/decrease the salaries as they please. [/b]so why do the students
suddenly expect the government to consult them at national stadium before naming the institution?

this is more than the renaming. the oil subsidy issue still burns a hole in the hearts of lagosians.

Has FG ever increase fees without notification? And which event can you compare to this Mau-Mau change that's make GEJ's disrespectful move excusable?
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by Nobody: 1:51am On May 31, 2012
coogar:

is now in power?

Koruji was never a GEJ supporter.

He didn't vote for GEJ.

And he has never supported any of gej's incompetent decisions.

Your post would be understable if directed at someone like alj harem .
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by coogar: 1:54am On May 31, 2012
koruji: Years of military rule has done bad things to Nigerians.

President GEJ is president of Nigeria, not c-in-c of Nigeria.

He is c-in-c of the armed forces, not Nigeria - big difference.

Last time I checked UNILAG was not a military institution.

Less emphasize on the "power", more on the "people", please.

i don't care what institution it is. it is owned by the
federal government which jonathan now heads. that gives him
the power to name it any name he so pleases. unilag is not
a private institution, is it? why are nigerians angry over
what the owners decide to call their own property?

the people protesting this ish....which of their fathers own unilag? grin grin grin
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by Beaf: 1:56am On May 31, 2012
MKO has been rightly honoured. Why some cannot swallow their bile is perplexing to say the least.
Deal is done, Maulag students behaved disgracefully, were sent home. Whenever they return, it will be to Maulag.

[size=14pt]Abiola's son hails renaming of UNILAG[/size]
By Agency Reporter

[img]http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/thumbnail.php?file=/ABDUL_ABIOLA_199151040.jpg&size=article_medium[/img]
Mr. Abdul Mr. Abdul

…SNG faults decision

The family of the late Chief MKO Abiola on Tuesday said that they were ecstatic over the renaming of the University of Lagos after the late politician.
President Goodluck Jonathan had in a broadcast to the nation to commemorate Democracy Day announced the renaming of the institution after the presumed winner of June 12, 1993 presidential election.
He was honoured for his contributions to democracy in Nigeria.
In a telephone chat with the News Agency of Nigeria, Mr. Abdul Abiola, son of the late politician said there was nothing wrong with the naming of the university after his father.
``We are shocked by the reactions trailing this development. My late father believed so much in education.
``He donated money to universities across the nation. Naming a university after him was a well-deserved honour," he said.
According to Abiola, the renaming is just one way of honouring and immortalising the late business mogul.
``He should still be given more honours. We see nothing political in this.
``We are happy about it and we are yet to understand the rationale behind people going up in arms over this decision," he added.
Meanwhile, the Save Nigeria Group has said the late Abiola deserved the highest honour in the land.

It said: ``While acknowledging the place of Abiola in the political history of Nigeria, we would want the highest possible honour for him.
`We, however, deplore the renaming of the University of Lagos after him,’’ the SNG said in a statement signed by its spokesman, Mr. Yinka Odumakin, in Lagos on Tuesday.
``We restate our demand that Abiola must be given a befitting honour for the sacrifices he made for democracy in Nigeria in a decent and worthy manner," the group added.

http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/index.php/news-update/48183-abiola-s-son-hails-renaming-of-unilag.html
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by coogar: 2:01am On May 31, 2012
Beaf: MKO has been rightly honoured. Why some cannot swallow their bile is perplexing to say the least.
Deal is done, Maulag students behaved disgracefully, were sent home. Whenever they return, it will be to Maulag.
http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/index.php/news-update/48183-abiola-s-son-hails-renaming-of-unilag.html

this same abiola must have donated billions of naira to unilag. he was a philanthropist!
it's a disgrace that unruly students of unilag have decided to honour the great man this way.
this was a man that died for the cause of democracy in nigeria. he lost his wife to the assassin's
bullets in the same lagos state.....and this is what he gets? what a disgrace!!!
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by koruji(m): 2:04am On May 31, 2012
The difference between leading and dealing. Period.

Beaf: MKO has been rightly honoured. Why some cannot swallow their bile is perplexing to say the least.
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by Beaf: 2:08am On May 31, 2012
coogar:

this same abiola must have donated billions of naira to unilag. he was a philanthropist!
it's a disgrace that unruly students of unilag have decided to honour the great man this way.
this was a man that died for the cause of democracy in nigeria. he lost his wife to the assassin's
bullets in the same lagos state.....and this is what he gets? [size=14pt]what a disgrace!!![/size]

Simples! cool
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by Beaf: 2:09am On May 31, 2012
koruji:

I don't think how you see it matters, bro.
Afterall, you hate GEJ more than you love MKO.
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by CyberG: 2:16am On May 31, 2012
It's obvious people like Odumooron, Beaf, Coongar etc never got any education or are just too blinded by hatred to see straight! How can someone claim that a university brand is of no consequence except of course, you have never stepped into any renowned graduate school in the world (1-100) or ever had your resume looked at by any top company in the world: Google, Microsoft, Apple, etc! If you ever came close in your life, you would know that a recognized brand immediately gives some level of confidence for them to appraise your candidature rather than completely removing it from consideration for the likes of Ife, UI, etc whose name is well known all over! Or, do you think while an unknown entity is competing with candidates with brands like Harvard, Stanford, Cornell, MIT, McGill, UBC, Alberta, Toronto, UNILAG, OAU, UI, etc, it will stand even a dot of a chance?? Get out more and get educated and of course, stop "cassetting" all around the place!!
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by coogar: 2:17am On May 31, 2012
koruji:

dealing with who? you want a whole jonathan to sit
one on one with some students union government who
are high on paraga to discuss naming rights?

abeg, cats don't dine with rats.
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by Beaf: 2:20am On May 31, 2012
CyberG: It's obvious people like Odumooron, Beaf, etc never got any education or are just too blinded by hatred to see straight! How can someone claim that a university brand is of no consequence except of course, you have never stepped into any renowned graduate school in the world (1-100) or ever had your resume looked at by any top company in the world: Google, Microsoft, Apple, etc! If you ever came close in your life, you would know that a recognized brand immediately gives some level of confidence for them to appraise your candidature rather than completely removing it from consideration for the likes of Ife, UI, etc whose name is well known all over! Or, do you think while an unknown entity is competing with candidates with brands like Harvard, Stanford, Cornell, MIT, McGill, UBC, Alberta, Toronto, UNILAG, OAU, UI, etc, it will stand even a dot of a chance?? Get out more and get educated and of course, stop "cassetting" all around the place!!

Some stup!d brand is greater than MKO's legacy? MKO is worth less than some FG owned "brand?" shocked
Disgraceful.

The FG owns the brand and they have done as the wish with their property. Period.

In the meantime, keep insulting. Most people see you as a mere accident.
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by coogar: 2:23am On May 31, 2012
CyberG: It's obvious people like Odumooron, Beaf, Coongar etc never got any education or are just too blinded by hatred to see straight! How can someone claim that a university brand is of no consequence except of course, you have never stepped into any renowned graduate school in the world (1-100) or ever had your resume looked at by any top company in the world: Google, Microsoft, Apple, etc! If you ever came close in your life, you would know that a recognized brand immediately gives some level of confidence for them to appraise your candidature rather than completely removing it from consideration for the likes of Ife, UI, etc whose name is well known all over! Or, do you think while an unknown entity is competing with candidates with brands like Harvard, Stanford, Cornell, MIT, McGill, UBC, Alberta, Toronto, UNILAG, OAU, UI, etc, it will stand even a dot of a chance?? Get out more and get educated and of course, stop "cassetting" all around the place!!

OAU was university of ife before federal government changed it to OAU in 1987.
the school still holds it's prestige despite that. if the government decides to
change it to clifford orji university, i doubt it would dent the reputation of the
school.

if uni of ife can survive the name change to oau, why can't unilag for feck's sake?
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by Katsumoto: 2:25am On May 31, 2012
My take

1. GEJ has the right to change the name but he should have consulted the relevant bodies i.e Alumni, university board, etc before changing the name.
2. Students and Alumni may be concerned about the brand of their school; they have every right to be.
3. Apart from dying for the the cause of democracy, MKO still remains the greatest philanthropist in Nigeria
4. It may be true that MKO was far from being a saint but what matters is that he gave his life for the cause even when he could have renounced his mandate
5. The University of Chicago Business School (a top 20 Global Business School) was renamed the Booth school of Business after Booth who donated $300 Million to the school. Ignoring the money factor, if students who paid in excess of $80,000 to get an MBA did not run riot all over Chicago, why are students who are paying less than $2000 rioting? More worrisome is that these same students are yet to protest over issues that will affect them directly.
6. The rebranding of the school could have been handled much better if all sides were involved in the process. I don't see any issue with renaming the school let alone after a man who paid the ultimate price.

MAULag students have demonstrated a rather myopic outlook which many of them will regret later. I say this because their actions has demonstrated that it is an effort in futility for anyone to give up his life for that country. After this episode, many will justify their lukewarm attitude or even outright hostility towards progress by referring to this action of these students.

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by CyberG: 2:28am On May 31, 2012
Beaf:

Some stup!d brand is greater than MKO's legacy? MKO is worth less than some FG owned "brand?" shocked
Disgraceful.

The FG owns the brand and they have done as the wish with their property. Period.

In the meantime, keep insulting. Most people see you as a mere accident.

Shows you are a donkey fooleish like you deadweight Daftluck! Like Prof. Soyinka said, and I completely agree with him, this is NOT about Abiola AT ALL! The FG is directly responsible to the people more so in a democracy but everyone knows Jonathan's government is a pseudo-democracy hence it does not defer to the people it claims to represent! So, the FG is owned by the PEOPLE slowpoke, and as such must pursue only the opinion of the majority of the people! You see the SW people are too sophisticated to jump up because this is in their "favor" or honors one of theirs but the question is: What is right? What is just? Have the approved procedures been followed? He is their son is not enough, if he is a bad son, they will be the first to tell him in the face. However, in Otuekwe and your neck of the woods where snakes are born and raised as humans, it has to be your narrow, long throat interest above others! You see why you are a perpetual loser??

So, if Jonathan must name anything, it MUST consult the stakeholders, they must buy-in to the programme, their must be consensus and not one fooleish president running about like a headless chicken!
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by Nobody: 2:28am On May 31, 2012
There is nothing wrong in the renaming of the university but, there has to be information passed around before going about it. There is nowhere in the world, where there is democracy, renaming of a university which is an embodiment of intellectuals is done without their awareness. I think it is done in the wrong way even if it's to the honor of a heroic son. No matter the order of the day democracy is the government by the people - and, that sounds the loudest.

Contrary to the actions of the students, there is need to find a common ground for a solution. MKO Abiola deserves something unique to be named after in him in the Western region.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Lagos Can't Generate VAT And Others Take 50℅ - Ambode / Shekau: Boko Haram Will Never Stop Violence / Soldiers Kill 3 Bandits, Recover Arms In Zamfara (Graphic Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 115
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.