Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,075 members, 7,838,717 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 08:15 AM

Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming (27965 Views)

Bishop Oyedepo Said He Will Open The Gates Of Hell On Whoever Opposes GEJ. / Senate Approves UNILAG Renaming / Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by moderattor: 6:59am On May 31, 2012
one minute GEJ is toothless
next minute he is authocratic, which one do we take?
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by Beaf: 7:01am On May 31, 2012
moderattor: one minute GEJ is toothless

We roll dice, bro.
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by bariyakat(m): 7:03am On May 31, 2012
Jona shld have renamed it to FELA UNIVERSITY; the man fought against corruption n for democracy to the death. If u ask me...na who I go ask!! coolJona shld have renamed it to FELA UNIVERSITY; the man fought against corruption n for democracy to the death. If u ask me...na who I go ask!!

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by freecocoa(f): 7:05am On May 31, 2012
This issue is becoming annoying for feck's sakes.

What's so wrong in renaming a useless school btw?
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by ayox2003: 7:15am On May 31, 2012
freecocoa: This issue is becoming annoying for feck's sakes.

What's so wrong in renaming a useless school btw?
Freecocoon, you've started again.
Whats useful about you that made you say UNILAG is useless?
Girl, how many times will I correct you?
You've been besieged and bedevilled by pointless jealousy.
Pls, if you dont have something nice to say, its better you take a bow. Else, I will repeat what I did to you on the 3rd class guy thread.
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by ayobase(m): 7:15am On May 31, 2012
odumorun 1: I strongly disagree with Wole Soyinka on this.

The furore regarding the renaming of Unilag is elitist posturing of the worst kind, dressed up in the garb of democratic protestation. This has nothing to do with anger that the council of the university was not consulted. The university and its senate and governing council do not fund the school. The school is funded by the federal government from the federal purse representing millions of hardworking Nigerians most of whose kids will never enjoy the benfit of a university education let alone a prestigious one like Unilag.

The storm in a tea cup is another example of middle class Nigerians, particularly yoruba ones (the most snobbish and self regarding version and yes i am a Yoruba) refusing to be associated with a person largely revered by the poorer classes. The same happened when Uiversity of Ife was renamed in 1987 in honour of Obafemi Awolowo, when a few hundred students largely of middle class origin demonstrated their objection, while the poor people in the town, carpentars, shoe makers, tailors and others who benefited from awo's reforms celebrated.

This is all about a few priviledged and educated yoruba people wanting to retain what they see as an eleitis label placing them apart from the majority of the population whom they secretly despise. If the school had been named after Barack Obama would they be protesting, even if it was done without consultation - Of course they wouldn't - they'll probably be fantasising about getting an easy visa ride in the American embassy.

Wole Soyinka is a radical and progressive Nigerian but his elitism is a well known flaw which is why he has never inspite of his undoubted courage been able to buod a mass following for his ideas.

Unilag is funded by the majority of the people of this country, not the students or their lecturers. Most ordiany Nigerians respect the sacrifices people like abiola made - they, not the spolit middle class kids kicking up a fuss in Unilag are the majority. The noisy minority in Unilag should be ignored. they will son go back to their Ipads

If they don't like the name when they receive their degrees let them rip them up. They don't own the school, the people do -i've not seen any demonstrations in mushin, shomolu, bere or sabongari against it.

If wole is not happy let him write a poem about his fury. He is a great man, but on this occasion he is wrong
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by Biggyd2: 7:18am On May 31, 2012
Ileke-IdI:
@ndu chucks,

Oh I see, a question for GEJ.

I'm not saying that you do not have the authority to paint your house as you like, but you cannot just go ahead and paint without notifying the tenants.
There's usually a signed contract.

Now knowing that Unilag is FG owned, it still does not excuse the disrespectful steps GEJ took towards renaming the school.
According to your logic, since it's FG owned, if the students and staff don't like it, then they can leave. So if they do leave, what exactly is there to own?

Looking at this at a larger angle, GEJ is ruling the nation without regards to its occupants. May 29th was supposed to be about celebrating democracy, so is democracy not about the people? Is democracy not about serving the people?

I agree with you. I can't believe that in this age and time, some people are not seeing the problem with what Jonathan did. A president who is used to taking decisions without any recourse to any constituted authority. GEJ might be the president of the country, but this country belongs supposedly to all of us i.e a democracy . Why are the people not carried along in decision making? People are here praising Jonathan to the highest that he did a good thing here. Well the good news I have for you is that he hears what you say. Come October 1, pray that GEJ wouldn't have sold this country to China, after all, he his the (Maximum)Leader of this country and can do whatever he pleases! And whenever he takes any decision that is not their favor, they should remember that you have no right to speak against him!

And GEJ, please for your own good, never beg Nigerians not to abandon you. You have consistently shown that you do not have anything in common with the majority of the people you rule.
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by Nobody: 7:18am On May 31, 2012
odumorun 1: I strongly disagree with Wole Soyinka on this.

The furore regarding the renaming of Unilag is elitist posturing of the worst kind, dressed up in the garb of democratic protestation. This has nothing to do with anger that the council of the university was not consulted. The university and its senate and governing council do not fund the school. The school is funded by the federal government from the federal purse representing millions of hardworking Nigerians most of whose kids will never enjoy the benfit of a university education let alone a prestigious one like Unilag.

The storm in a tea cup is another example of middle class Nigerians, particularly yoruba ones (the most snobbish and self regarding version and yes i am a Yoruba) refusing to be associated with a person largely revered by the poorer classes. The same happened when Uiversity of Ife was renamed in 1987 in honour of Obafemi Awolowo, when a few hundred students largely of middle class origin demonstrated their objection, while the poor people in the town, carpentars, shoe makers, tailors and others who benefited from awo's reforms celebrated.

This is all about a few priviledged and educated yoruba people wanting to retain what they see as an eleitis label placing them apart from the majority of the population whom they secretly despise. If the school had been named after Barack Obama would they be protesting, even if it was done without consultation - Of course they wouldn't - they'll probably be fantasising about getting an easy visa ride in the American embassy.

Wole Soyinka is a radical and progressive Nigerian but his elitism is a well known flaw which is why he has never inspite of his undoubted courage been able to buod a mass following for his ideas.

Unilag is funded by the majority of the people of this country, not the students or their lecturers. Most ordiany Nigerians respect the sacrifices people like abiola made - they, not the spolit middle class kids kicking up a fuss in Unilag are the majority. The noisy minority in Unilag should be ignored. they will son go back to their Ipads

If they don't like the name when they receive their degrees let them rip them up. They don't own the school, the people do -i've not seen any demonstrations in mushin, shomolu, bere or sabongari against it.

If wole is not happy let him write a poem about his fury. He is a great man, but on this occasion he is wrong

Sometimes,common sense goes beyond having a nobel laureate and soyinka is wrong on this.I'm sure he would be happy if the school was named Soyinka university.People worrying themselves about brand of a glorified secondary school !
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by ypzilanti: 7:22am On May 31, 2012
coogar:

you really agree with the don on this?

what difference does it make? unilag, maulag or malulag?
the university is owned by the federal government...the vice chancellor
was appointed by the federal government. the federal government pays the
salaries of the staff.....are you saying they cannot name their own establishment
any name they so wish?

if you build a house and rent it to tenants, you need their blessings to paint it?
gate it? put a borehole or whatever? i just believe nigerians have their priorities
misplaced. does the change of name devalue the certificate? does it increase the fees
paid by the students? jonathan is indeed a mumu. if i were the president, i would have
deployed a thousand s.w.a.t. teams to make those unruly tools some target practice

You would deploy soldiers to kill peacefully protesting students.

Anyone that reasons in this fashion is a pinhead.
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by freecocoa(f): 7:23am On May 31, 2012
ayox2003:
Freecocoon, you've started again.
Whats useful about you that made you say UNILAG is useless?
Girl, how many times will I correct you?
You've been besieged and bedevilled by pointless jealousy.
Pls, if you dont have something nice to say, its better you take a bow. Else, I will repeat what I did to you on the 3rd class guy thread.
STFU you buffoon,you must be really stup1d.

Jealous of wetin? A federal university?inshort you are more stup1d than i thought and what exactly did you do on the so called thread you are referring to?

You must really be obsessed with me to even remember whatever happened on any thread,I don't even know you exist until now.

I can say whatever i like on this thread and any other one for that matter, you and any hediot that doesn't like it can do go ahead and join the useless MALU students in protesting. Blawdy morafoker.
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by bakila: 7:24am On May 31, 2012
coogar:

nah - some people need to be made scapegoats.
they closed down the whole city today....blocked the whole 3rd
mainland bridge.....because their uni was renamed...i mean
who cares? people would still refer to it as unilag until
our generation f@cks off the planet.

where in the tenancy agreement does it say i cannot make changes in
the structure of the building? the owner is the owner. he has the
right to do whatever on his property as long as he does not bring
any harm to his tenants. renaming brings no harm. he named it
mko abiola(who must have donated billions of naira to the same institution).

they can close it down and turn it into a zoological garden.
thank feck, the lagoon is behind the school. it would be a perfect tourist attraction.
there's still unibadan, uni of ife, uniben, uniport, ado bayero and the federal govt owns them all.
they wouldn't lose any sleep over unilag which is a glorified whorehouse anyways.

and he named it after their hero. how many lagosians laid their lives down for abiola
in 93/94? even when he died in 98? they must be hundreds of thousands! so jonathan
decided to honour the man that fought for democracy in nigeria a university and the students
are protesting like ingrates. he didn't name it babangida uni, abacha uni, chukwumerije uni or
nzeribe uni? i dunno where this aggression is coming from - probably grudges nursed against
jonathan since the subsidy removal.

which yeye due process?

Last sentence confirmed that something is terribly wrong with this whole renaming.
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by Biggyd2: 7:27am On May 31, 2012
moderattor: one minute GEJ is toothless

Schizophrenia that is the name of the ailment. When he fights boko haram, he becomes a lamb and meeoowww but when he fights defenseless citizens, he becomes a tiger or lion. When I think of it, the word, BULLY comes to mind.
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by ypzilanti: 7:28am On May 31, 2012
Beaf:

I wonder if the people can read official secrets because they gave the FG power?
Democracy is not anarchy, we have the right to vote in govts every four years, we also have some rights under the law; but it has never beeb, nor will it ever be a free for all.

Government in any country is an incredibly powerful institution. While it must remain accountable to the people, there are also things it keeps from the people for their own good (eg it is not our right to know how many bullets are in govts possession, what Aso Rock looks like etc).

Nigeria is the only country in the world where the citizens have no idea what the presidential house looks like. You have just displayed your lack of exposure with this post. The president of the United States is probably the must sought after by terrorists in this world. The white house sits like a normal house on the street in washington. Tourists stand by the fence and snap pictures with policemen by the gates. It is a democracy and they try to preserve that feel of accessibility. They even have booked tours to visit the White house. I am about to start a thread on this topic because people need to understand that Aso Rock belongs to Nigerians and is a National symbol.
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by ayobase(m): 7:29am On May 31, 2012
coogar:

........ jonathan is indeed a mumu. if i were the president, i would have
deployed a thousand s.w.a.t. teams to make those unruly tools some target practice.

LOL!
My question is this,
what does it take to name a school after someone.
FUT,Yola was renamed MAUTECH,YOLA.
And who is Modibo Adama?
A Nationalist?
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by Samsonferan: 7:32am On May 31, 2012
Na wao M K O can easily b denied by d yorubas
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by Beaf: 7:32am On May 31, 2012
Having thought about it a bit more, I think it would be helpful to reach out to the dissenters, whilst keeping accenting voices on side; even if MAULAG has come to stay.
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by Nobody: 7:32am On May 31, 2012
I GUESS MKO ABIOLA WASNT AS BIG AS "UNILAG" AND HIS NAME ISNT AS SWEET AS "UNILAG" AFTER ALL. WOLE SOYINKA'S OPINION ISNT VALUABLE TO ME, AND NOT TO ANY UNBIASED NIGERIAN
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by kinguwem: 7:35am On May 31, 2012
No federal university is autonomous. Their sustenance is dependent on funding by the FG. Universities should focus more on research projects and proper utilization of FG subventions. Autonomy is associated with self-sustenance. The renaming of Unilag to immortalize MKO is commendable.

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by dont8(m): 7:35am On May 31, 2012
coogar:

why not? my house, my property....
i decide solely whatever goes on there. if any
tenant disagrees, he can pack out n leave space for
sensible tenants.

unilag is a property of the federal government.
the students, academic staff, etc are just tenants/labourers.
they are no stake-holders...they can be hired n fired by who??....the same federal government.
Did you say the students, teaching staff and even the VC are not stake-holders? You must be kidding me, even FG can change their curriculum and discpline without their knowledge. And is Abiola a presumed winner or an elected-winner?
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by wyt(m): 7:35am On May 31, 2012
we have the students/the lecturers, the yorubas, FG and the rest of nigerians. each has its own perculiar reason for accepting or refusing the renaming. the students/lecturers/old boyz, is fighting for brand name, the question is: can the renaming change the academic excellence of the skool? then, the yourubas, i think it just a hatred, it is not about consultation. and for the rest of nigerians, some think MKO worth it while others think he don't deserve the status. for GEJ, what realy made him not to consult the skool authority? soyinka can always speak dogo trenchi that he is knwn with but, he speak in the voice of youruba (the hatred) who think the move will buy up SW for GEJ in next presidential poll. this is what they have beng clamoring for, only b/cos i did't come from the mouth of Tinubu, that is why they are oposing it

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by Pain(m): 7:36am On May 31, 2012
Imagine changing the name of Oxford or Harvard overnight? Is that not Brand Assassination? Take it or leave it, branding plays a key role on human psyche. Imagine having to explain yourself outside Nigeria. The coversation below may shed more light:

Foreigner: So which University did you Graduate from?
MAU MAU Grad : Moshood Abiola University?
Foreigner: So which University is that? Never heard of it!
MAU MAU Grad : Oh, it was Formerly University of Lagos.
Foreigner: Oh, now I get it. Have a couple of Friends that passed thru UNILAG. Just learn to add "Former" to it. Okay?
MAU MAU Grad : Noted.
Foreigner: By the way, what was that name again?
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by Nobody: 7:36am On May 31, 2012
I AM SO DEVASTATED AND ASHAMED TO FIND OUT THAT MKO ABIOLA WHO THE WESTERNERS PRETEND TO CELEBRATE EVERY JUNE 12, ISNT GOOD ENOUGH TO BE NAMED AFTER THE MOST POPULOUS FEDERAL UNIVERSITY IN THE WEST. BUNCH OF HYPOCRITES, IF YOUR OWN ISNT GOOD ENOUGH FOR YOU GUYZ, HOW DID YOU EXPECT IBB TO SWEAR HIM IN. MKO ABIOLA'S FAMILY WILL BE SO DISAPPOINTED THAT THEIR PARENTS WHERE UNLOVED BY THEIR OWN PEOPLE
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by dumodust(m): 7:40am On May 31, 2012
ypzilanti:

Nigeria is the only country in the world where the citizens have no idea what the presidential house looks like. You have just displayed your lack of exposure with this post. The president of the United States is probably the must sought after by terrorists in this world. The white house sits like a normal house on the street in washington. Tourists stand by the fence and snap pictures with policemen by the gates. It is a democracy and they try to preserve that feel of accessibility. They even have booked tours to visit the White house. I am about to start a thread on this topic because people need to understand that Aso Rock belongs to Nigerians and is a National symbol.

I shake my head in sadness when I see nigerians rationalizing that GEJ is the landlord and we are the tenants.I guess years of autocratic rule engraved that notion into our heads. Thanks ypz for reminding them.
Gem is accountable to all nigerians, the country actually belongs to us, not the present so he should have consulted the senate of the university, students etc who somehow should have a say because they are citizens of this country.
This is not a private university.
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by Beaf: 7:41am On May 31, 2012
Pain: Imagine changing the name of Oxford or Harvard overnight? Is that not Brand Assassination? Take it or leave it, branding plays a key role on human psyche. Imagine having to explain yourself outside Nigeria. The coversation below may shed more light:

Foreigner: So which University did you Graduate from?
MAU MAU Grad : Moshood Abiola University?
Foreigner: So which University is that? Never heard of it!
MAU MAU Grad : Oh, it was Formerly University of Lagos.
Foreigner: Oh, now I get it. Have a couple of Friends that passed thru UNILAG. Just learn to add "Former" to it. Okay?
MAU MAU Grad : Noted.
Foreigner: By the way, what was that name again?

I keep hearing this brand nonsense! angry angry angry angry
Are universities jeans trousers like calvin klein or some other sort of fashion statement?
Brand, my foot!

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by ayox2003: 7:41am On May 31, 2012
freecocoa: STFU you buffoon,you must be really stup1d.

Jealous of wetin? A federal university?inshort you are more stup1d than i thought and what exactly did you do on the so called thread you are referring to?

You must really be obsessed with me to even remember whatever happened on any thread,I don't even know you exist until now.

I can say whatever i like on this thread and any other one for that matter, you and any hediot that doesn't like it can do go ahead and join the useless MALU students in protesting. Blawdy morafoker.
I trust you were the one who was yabbing the guy who graduated with a 3rd the other day.
Anyways, I hope you'd just grow-up someday to know the difference between NL and Twitter.
Useful dolt.
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by ayobase(m): 7:43am On May 31, 2012
Ileke-IdI:
So you'd just go and paint the house without informing the tenant? Without them even knowing of your intention to repaint it?
That's unlikely to happen in a civilized society.

He shouldnt have used that as an illustration in the first place.
He should have used a company, where workers are being paid.
I wonder what would have come over the workers protesting against the change of name of the company.

UNILAG students are only protesting to retain the SWAGZ associated with the name UNILAG.
MAULAG has no SWAGZ attached for now, but it will with time.
Were the Staff complaining and protesting...their salaries remain intact.
This ''jump and down'' is an ephemeral event.

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by ayobase(m): 7:44am On May 31, 2012
ndu_chucks:

If you can't come up with real heroes, why idolize a common thief and try to immortalize him this way? That is a good question for GEJ

I gez pple like Ojukwu!
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by CyberG: 7:44am On May 31, 2012
Beaf:

Who is going to do it? You, a coward that was so scared to come home when a girl threatened to deal with you on NL?
You even opened a thread to ask others about your safety and if the girl could get you. Lolzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!

Cowards are funny! grin grin grin

Every one who reads this comment would easily know it can only be made by a fool only interested in twisting and manipulating facts! How would you idiotically suggest that someone who has travelled extensively everywhere in Nigeria, from an influential family, has been chauffeur driven in escort if Nigerian Forces and educated at Great Ife would ever be intimidated by a non-entity or unknown quantity on a faceless forum? It's like saying a syncophant like you is even a factor when I decide to come vacationing in Nigeria? Clearly then Jonathan Shaiteluck weed you are smoking is turned you reasoning faculties to the dogs!

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (14) (Reply)

APC Member Shares Pictures Of More Gift From Osinbajo. Calls PDP Liars / Okupe: Obi Won’t Attend Debates Where Tinubu, Atiku Are Absent / Femi Gbajabiamila Launches Gbajaride In Surulere, Lagos (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.