Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,281 members, 7,839,386 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 06:20 PM

Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming - Politics (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming (27970 Views)

Bishop Oyedepo Said He Will Open The Gates Of Hell On Whoever Opposes GEJ. / Senate Approves UNILAG Renaming / Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by Nobody: 8:43am On May 31, 2012
When people with very good idea of what they are saying talk, the result is very educative. I am not political but I totally respect Wole Soyinka and others who know their onions. When we have these much brains in Nigeria, I wonder why we still have idiots handling our affairs! I have totally enjoyed reading through most of this and I give appluad to all debating parties!

As far as unilag is concern, I go with those with the school of thought that GEJ should have in the pretense of 'consulting' let the management of the school be aware of the propose change of name. It is like a form of 'involvement management'. That way, the school management would have been the one stopping their wards from rioting.

Back to back, I prefare the school remain UNILAG!

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by ayobase(m): 8:43am On May 31, 2012
coogar:

democracy my arse.
do unilag students get to vote who the vice chancellor or chancellor
of their school would be? why haven't they fought for that and yet
want to fight for the renaming of their school which belongs to the
federal government. these useless students pay peanuts as fees heavily
subsidized by the same government and yet they have the chutzpah to protest?

personally, i think nigerian university students should be paying N1 million per session.
if the students pay through their noses to bag their degrees, they would be more
responsible in school. the act of thuggery would fade into oblivion in naija unis.
the federal government should remove their subsidy in federal schools. it's time
to teach these touts some lessons.

Abeg o.....compromise judgement with mercy o!
1Million ke....then thuggery will be d mother of years!
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by eemmyyy: 8:49am On May 31, 2012
coogar:

you really agree with the don on this?

what difference does it make? unilag, maulag or malulag?
the university is owned by the federal government...the vice chancellor
was appointed by the federal government. the federal government pays the
salaries of the staff.....are you saying they cannot name their own establishment
any name they so wish?

if you build a house and rent it to tenants, you need their blessings to paint it?
gate it? put a borehole or whatever? i just believe nigerians have their priorities
misplaced. does the change of name devalue the certificate? does it increase the fees
paid by the students? jonathan is indeed a mumu. if i were the president, i would have
deployed a thousand s.w.a.t. teams to make those unruly tools some target practice.
sometimes i don't blame some commenters who is likely to insult than comment objectively and i will gracefully not tow that line cos ur comment demands a train of abuse to ur narrow mindedness.

Can u pls name govt. Factory that he used funding and paying these institutions if not the tax u and I pays?

Why won't tenants in ur analogy know of their landlord's intentions if he paintss and gates with their tenant's fee? Wake up!!!
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by WINFORTH: 8:49am On May 31, 2012
Let's all take a deep breath for a second ...relax and look at this renaming issue again.

Few pointers:

Personally i reason with soyinka's statement. I also see few points from the SNG' s take on the subject matter and loads of other individual opinions. The truth is that there are many reasonable arguments on this subject. But from what I have read, heard and seen also, There are so many sentimental and pseudo- intellectual views being spewed recklessly on this forum.

I see no reason why the FG delayed to this point to give Abiola a national honour by immortalising. Notwithstanding.

It should not be done carelessly in the manner it was done. I would not want to go into the possible motive and timing of this wonderful gift, but would touch on the approach, processes followed...eeehhmm....none actually.

Before I go any further...may i inform that:

UNILAG was established by an act of parliament ( infact being the first federal University), so any name change must start by going through lawmakers who represent the people to effect the name change!

We can argue from now till kingdom come, but it won't change the fact that GEJ did not follow due process by consulting the same parliament( lawmakers) that created the school in the first place 50 years ago.

Now that's a very undemocratic move for a democracy day if you asked me..

Quick reminder: democracy is about the people.

Unfortunately jonathan has failed to realize this and has obviously not learned from the January 2012 fuel subsidy removal dictatorship styled approach.

The people of south west of Nigeria are too intellectually sophisticated to be unreasonably docile on such sensitive issue even though it appears to favour them. Hence the mixed reactions from different quarters.

As Soyinka cited, few legal professionals have identified flaws in the approach adopted by jonathan hence the possible beginning of a long legal row.

Abiola's Name is a household name when it comes to the struggle for democracy in Nigeria no doubt. On the other hand, unilag has also built a high reputation and Brand name for itself over a period of 50 years. Considering all these factor is one of the reasons why the national parliament should have been consulted.

But guess what?..if you are reading this..just Consider this forum a parliament ground where I have read and seen your reasonable argument and opinion on the issue, and now you are reading mine.

Just imagine...
After all we get back to GEJ and we all make the decision together.

Whether right or wrong... A decision would have been made by the people for the people..NOW THAT's DEMOCRACY.

Am not a politician, an activist nor a Unilag graduate. But I know right when I see right ...there's no true democracy yet in Nigeria....not even on a DEMOCRACY DAY !!!This administration looks more like trial and error Admin to me.

JUST MY OPINION !!!
Need constructive and Objective feedbacks please !!!
Thank you and God bless.

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by ayobase(m): 8:53am On May 31, 2012
aikuda: I don't understand why some people think those who are opposed to the renaming are against MKO. Most Lagosians love MKO, the issue is why the presisdent who ( mind you I have consistently supported on other issues) will make this kind of blunder. I doubt this was his intention, but he has been able to divide Nigerians with the name of an individual that is very dear to ours hearts. How stupid can a president be? This is what you get for not consulting others. And who says the institution belongs to him? For pete's sake this a premier Nigerian university. The FG is not the only stakeholder. Don't students pay school fees in the school? A univeristy is different from other institutions - the name can make a difference in how successful graduants become in the job market. In a country where things are done RIGHT, pollS will be taken to see what people think about the name change before any attempt is made. No, not in Nigeria. We dey pass through democracy, but democracy no dey pass through us.

And @ Beaf, I am very disappointed on your take in this (sorry I singled you out). I have always followed your comment and thought you are different from the crowd of pessimists here. But this is taking it too far. The president is wrong on this one!

Im still thinking oh how the president was wrong on this.
A Federal University renamed by Federal government after a Nationalist.
But the President wasn't wrong to have remaned FUT,Yola after Modibo Adama. A nationalist?
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by Aksally(m): 8:53am On May 31, 2012
OBJ once asked some questions; Is the yoruba race cursed? Why are they always in opposition? Why do they always miss out in any national political arrangement? Can any wise person answer these questions for me? Plsssss.
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by Probity100: 8:55am On May 31, 2012
What is happening to you guys? someone just renamed your ivory tower as [b]M[/b]other of [b]A[/b]ll [b]U[/b]niversities (MAU),Lagos and you are prostesting grin grin grin grin

So you think the court will revert the proclaimation of Mr. President? You guys better go back to classes and stop wasting your uncertain years of graduation in the name of strike by ASUU and the rest.
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by Konnektions146(m): 8:57am On May 31, 2012
i really dont undastand people on this,
does it mean that other people attending de other schools na fake abi wetin?
what would de school admin have done if they were informed(if dey were not)?

we all know dat dere is some drastic increase in academic decadence in nigeria, it beats my imagination how people struggle for a certifacte to abear a particular name wen they cant even defend the grades in dere.

for some obvious inconsequential reasons best known to de students(swag), they re making noise, that means they ddnt love MKO enough as someone rightly said earlier here.

the issue is that no matter how much noise made abt it, that name wont be reversed(cos yu guys would call Jonathan lliy livered presido ).

so people should start gettin accustomed to de new name. i even saw a 30 something year old guy protestin, when he is suppose to be makin money for his kids.

the only thing i saw in dis is dat de market value of UNILAG MAULAG ladies just dropped, lol
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by Kabikala(m): 9:04am On May 31, 2012
odumorun 1: I strongly disagree with Wole Soyinka on this.

The furore regarding the renaming of Unilag is elitist posturing of the worst kind, dressed up in the garb of democratic protestation. This has nothing to do with anger that the council of the university was not consulted. The university and its senate and governing council do not fund the school. The school is funded by the federal government from the federal purse representing millions of hardworking Nigerians most of whose kids will never enjoy the benfit of a university education let alone a prestigious one like Unilag.

The storm in a tea cup is another example of middle class Nigerians, particularly yoruba ones (the most snobbish and self regarding version and yes i am a Yoruba) refusing to be associated with a person largely revered by the poorer classes. The same happened when Uiversity of Ife was renamed in 1987 in honour of Obafemi Awolowo, when a few hundred students largely of middle class origin demonstrated their objection, while the poor people in the town, carpentars, shoe makers, tailors and others who benefited from awo's reforms celebrated.

This is all about a few priviledged and educated yoruba people wanting to retain what they see as an eleitis label placing them apart from the majority of the population whom they secretly despise. If the school had been named after Barack Obama would they be protesting, even if it was done without consultation - Of course they wouldn't - they'll probably be fantasising about getting an easy visa ride in the American embassy.

Wole Soyinka is a radical and progressive Nigerian but his elitism is a well known flaw which is why he has never inspite of his undoubted courage been able to buod a mass following for his ideas.

Unilag is funded by the majority of the people of this country, not the students or their lecturers. Most ordiany Nigerians respect the sacrifices people like abiola made - they, not the spolit middle class kids kicking up a fuss in Unilag are the majority. The noisy minority in Unilag should be ignored. they will son go back to their Ipads

If they don't like the name when they receive their degrees let them rip them up. They don't own the school, the people do -i've not seen any demonstrations in mushin, shomolu, bere or sabongari against it.

If wole is not happy let him write a poem about his fury. He is a great man, but on this occasion he is wrong

God bless you for this excellent analysis. I also think that progressive student unionism have been decimated in most of our tertiary institutions and what we have as student union leaders these days are high-profile yahoo boys, political thugs, exam cheats and frustrated deportees who have lost all their sense of history and pragmatism that student unionism in Nigeria up to the 90s was renowned for.
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by ige101(m): 9:04am On May 31, 2012
Bawss1: Soyinka expresses my position on this issue lucidly.
Excellent
my dear soyinka cannot express ur position on d issue,if u say he did,then u ave no words of ur own an as such not fit to b a man
i only like an aspect of soyinka stand on this and its where he talked of renaming university of ife
if i may ask,is o a u not a brand name today?
May i also ask if the renaming of unilag is going to bring down the academic standard there? If not, there is no need crying.let d name change stay,and over time we wil get use to it
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by Donmeca(m): 9:07am On May 31, 2012
People keep sayin that Abiola was more of a sportsperson, was he a footballer, a boxer a wrestler or an athlete? He only donated to sports just like he gave scholarships.a. He also held a first class academic degree and worked for LUTH: he was more into d academia to me.
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by Baawaa(m): 9:10am On May 31, 2012

The furore regarding the renaming of Unilag is elitist posturing of the worst kind, dressed up in the garb of democratic protestation. This has nothing to do with anger that the council of the university was not consulted. The university and its senate and governing council do not fund the school. The school is funded by the federal government from the federal purse representing millions of hardworking Nigerians most of whose kids will never enjoy the benfit of a university education let alone a prestigious one like Unilag.

The storm in a tea cup is another example of middle class Nigerians, particularly yoruba ones (the most snobbish and self regarding version and yes i am a Yoruba) refusing to be associated with a person largely revered by the poorer classes. The same happened when Uiversity of Ife was renamed in 1987 in honour of Obafemi Awolowo, when a few hundred students largely of middle class origin demonstrated their objection, while the poor people in the town, carpentars, shoe makers, tailors and others who benefited from awo's reforms celebrated.

This is all about a few priviledged and educated yoruba people wanting to retain what they see as an eleitis label placing them apart from the majority of the population whom they secretly despise. If the school had been named after Barack Obama would they be protesting, even if it was done without consultation - Of course they wouldn't - they'll probably be fantasising about getting an easy visa ride in the American embassy.

Wole Soyinka is a radical and progressive Nigerian but his elitism is a well known flaw which is why he has never inspite of his undoubted courage been able to buod a mass following for his ideas.

Unilag is funded by the majority of the people of this country, not the students or their lecturers. Most ordiany Nigerians respect the sacrifices people like abiola made - they, not the spolit middle class kids kicking up a fuss in Unilag are the majority. The noisy minority in Unilag should be ignored. they will son go back to their Ipads

If they don't like the name when they receive their degrees let them rip them up. They don't own the school, the people do -i've not seen any demonstrations in mushin, shomolu, bere or sabongari against it.

If wole is not happy let him write a poem about his fury. He is a great man, but on this occasion he is wrong
Listen to yourself once"UNILAG is funded by majority of the people of this country,not the student or their lecturers"You mean the student of UNILAG are not Nigerians and their lecturers are Chinco.I cannot comprehend who is monotonous between you and GEJ grin grin grin
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by Kobojunkie: 9:12am On May 31, 2012
OAM4J: I agree with the don.

hmm. . .. what exactly do you agree with? I mean are you also against the renaming of University of Ife? Is that what you are saying?
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by Kobojunkie: 9:14am On May 31, 2012
Bawss1: Soyinka expresses my position on this issue lucidly.
Excellent

Let me end by stressing that my position remains the same as it was when the University of Ife was re-named Obafemi Awolowo University. I deplored it at the time, deplore it till today, have never come to terms with it, and still hope that some day in the not too distant future, that crime against the culture of institutional autonomy will be rectified. Let us not compound the aberrations of the past with provocations in an era that should propel us towards a belated new Age of Enlightenment.

Is this the position you are referring to?
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by Kobojunkie: 9:18am On May 31, 2012
ndu_chucks: In my opinion,[size=13pt] any greatness that could be attributed to MKO Abiola was completely nullified by the level of theft and the disgraceful handling of the ITT contract which was supposed to rebuild Nigeria's telecommunication system. Abiola and ITT ripped us off of billions of dollars without building a single circuit to improve P&T, the old Nigerian communication agency. This, by the way was when the naira was pretty strong.

People like IBB, MKO, OBJ, and others need not be worshiped. IBB and OBJ belong in prison, period. These people and their likes do not deserve to be our heroes, we have quite a few Nigerians who qualify to be real heroes and who have unblemished characters.

[/size]
I'm surprised that some of the posters from the SW do not find MKO's theft deplorable. Folks need to do a bit of research and discover that billions were spent with absolutely nothing to show for it. SMH

Desperate attempts to slice and dice around that reality only reveals we still have a long ways to go.
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by shakirahpweety: 9:24am On May 31, 2012
[quote
author=odumorun 1]I strongly disagree with Wole Soyinka on this.

The furore regarding the renaming of Unilag is elitist posturing of the
worst kind, dressed up in the garb of democratic protestation. This has
nothing to do with anger that the council of the university was not
consulted. The university and its senate and governing council do not
fund the school. The school is funded by the federal government from the
federal purse representing millions of hardworking Nigerians most of
whose kids will never enjoy the benfit of a university education let
alone a prestigious one like Unilag.

The storm in a tea cup is another example of middle class Nigerians,
particularly yoruba ones (the most snobbish and self regarding version
and yes i am a Yoruba) refusing to be associated with a person largely
revered by the poorer classes. The same happened when Uiversity of Ife
was renamed in 1987 in honour of Obafemi Awolowo, when a few hundred
students largely of middle class origin demonstrated their objection,
while the poor people in the town, carpentars, shoe makers, tailors and
others who benefited from awo's reforms celebrated.

This is all about a few priviledged and educated yoruba people wanting
to retain what they see as an eleitis label placing them apart from the
majority of the population whom they secretly despise. If the school had
been named after Barack Obama would they be protesting, even if it was
done without consultation - Of course they wouldn't - they'll probably
be fantasising about getting an easy visa ride in the American embassy.

Wole Soyinka is a radical and progressive Nigerian but his elitism is a
well known flaw which is why he has never inspite of his undoubted
courage been able to buod a mass following for his ideas.

Unilag is funded by the majority of the people of this country, not the
students or their lecturers. Most ordiany Nigerians respect the
sacrifices people like abiola made - they, not the spolit middle class
kids kicking up a fuss in Unilag are the majority. The noisy minority in
Unilag should be ignored. they will son go back to their Ipads

If they don't like the name when they receive their degrees let them rip
them up. They don't own the school, the people do -i've not seen any
demonstrations in mushin, shomolu, bere or sabongari against it.

If wole is not happy let him write a poem about his fury. He is a great
man, but on this occasion he is wrong[/quote] you must be dumb
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by NorthSharp(m): 9:34am On May 31, 2012
LeoMax: I AM WAITING FOR JUNE 12, I WANNA SEE ANY WESTERNER THAT WILL SHAMELESSLY COME OUT TO HYPOCRITICALLY WANT TO CELEBRATE MKO ABIOLA. YOU PROVE THAT HE WASNT GOOD ENOUGH AFTERALL FOR A LOFTY "UNILAG" TO BE RENAMED AFTER

My response to another poster who had expressed a similar view as yours above (in one of the other threads on this issue) goes as follows:

It is not fair or reasonable for anyone to accuse Yoruba individuals or groups of 'not liking themselves' because they oppose this ill-advised decision, just as it would be unfair and unreasonable for anyone to accuse the Igbos of 'not liking themselves' when they vehemently resist any idea of renaming the University of Nigeria, Nsukka, after ANY Igbo personality!

Zik and Ojukwu were arguably the two greatest Igbo leaders in the history of Nigeria, yet no FG could dare rename the 'University of Nigeria' after either of them, neither at their deaths nor subsequently!

In fact, the Igbos so much cherish the name 'University of Nigeria' that many of them would interpret any suggestion at renaming the university after ANYBODY as being a 'conspiracy' to deny the Igbos the prestige of having the only university in Nigeria that bears that unique name: 'University of Nigeria'.

To a lesser extent, the name 'University of Lagos' also enjoys similar prestige of being the only university that is so uniquely described as the university of Lagos; so apart from its excellent academic reputation, the university also enjoys being so uniquely associated with the most important, most popular, most vibrant city in our country - Lagos.!

So the questions that may come to mind are:

1. If the GEJ govt could not dare rename the UNN after even the GREATEST IGBO personality (Ujukwu) AT HIS DEATH RECENTLY; with all the apparently genuine respect and admiration president GEJ personally has for the late Ikemba as witnessed at the latter's funeral; and with all the brotherly and neighbourly goodwill that apparently exists between GEJ and the Igbos, then how come GEJ found it so imperative at this time to rename UNILAG after MKO Abiola?

2. Why would GEJ want to immortalize the name of the late MKO Abiola with the re-naming of one of the 5 first generation universities in Nigeria after him, yet he could not think of according the same respect and privilege to the late Ikemba, for whom he apparently has even much more respect?

3. Did the FG make proper consultations, with all the relevant stake-holders, before taking this step? How widely did they consult, if at all they did?

4. Could there be some people somewhere, not necessarily GEJ himself, who are not comfortable that UNILAG was the only university that is described as 'University of Lagos', therefore they want to see it so re-named, maybe just after anybody, or anything, as long as their ill-motivated goal is achieved?

I have immense respect for the late MKO Abiola, mainly for his well-known, and nationally spread, philanthropic work and for the prominent role he played, and the ultimate sacrifice he made, in ending military dictatorship in the country; yet as an alumnus of UNILAG, I do not support renaming it after him, for the same reason that the Igbos would resist any idea of renaming the UNN after anybody, no matter how much they respect that person!

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by AZeD1(m): 9:36am On May 31, 2012
coogar:

unilag is a property of the federal government.
the students, academic staff, etc are just tenants/labourers.
they are no stake-holders...they can be hired n fired by who??....the same federal government.
Unilag is not the property of the federal government, its the property of Nigerians.

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by mbulela: 9:40am On May 31, 2012
i am more comfortable with Ayo Obe's argument.
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by Nobody: 9:40am On May 31, 2012
For so many years after the death of Abiola, progressive Nigerians have mounted a call to immortalize the man who has become the symbol of our modern democracy. All the states in the South West celebrate the historic day the philanthropist and overtly destabilized Nigerian overwhelmingly won the presidential election.

Therefore a decision by the Federal Government to honour and immortalize this political hero is well conceived. The choice of UNILAG, though may not be the best monument to reflect the essence of June 12 but i believe that the president should at least be commended for having the courage to tow the path that his predecessors, one of them who is a kit and kin of the Abiola, vehemently avoided.

I understand the sentiments. I understand the ego and pride associated with the name UNILAG which the institution's stake holders, albeit students and their lecturers, may feel would have been bruised. But it is important that we look beyond ego and ask the the critical question: Does Abiola deserve this honour even in death. for me, i think the honour is even belated. The true essence of the rechristening should not be lost on the alter of egocentric consideration. After all, it does not diminish the value of the degree awarded by the institution, neither will it reduce its ratings in the education community.

What the university community should be concerned with is how to continue to uphold the values and ethos which has placed the university among the best in this part of the world.
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by lekkie073(m): 9:44am On May 31, 2012
ayobase:

But the President wasn't wrong to have remaned FUT,Yola after Modibo Adama. A nationalist?
So MKO is ά nationalist in your own dictionary? U̶̲̥̅̊ better go back to primary school.
On the analogy of ά landlord painting his house, he can actually do so but he can't enforce ur painting to extend to the interiors of my flat without consulting me.
On renaming of unilag, i just believe its just the average nigerian's predisposition to change. According to soyinka, even when uni of ife was renamed in 1987, students still protested. its not ϑ name dat pisses students off, its the act of renaming. So whether it is renamed MKO or even renamed in honour of JESUS, students я bound to protest. But the fact is that calling ά rose 'shit' doesn't change its fragrance. Period!
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by lekkie073(m): 9:45am On May 31, 2012
ayobase:

Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by barrybanbi: 9:47am On May 31, 2012

If wole is not happy let him write a poem about his fury. He is a great man, but on this occasion he is wrong"

I strongly disagree with odumorun 1 on this.

your analysis lacks merit. what did u mean by the school is funded by the government? who are the government? government are steward put in a position to manage resources of their people. so, the university, senate and students are not Nigerians ba? they are chico. the tuition that they pay are for fun. b4 u rise to a position of a senate of a university u must have contributed your quota in one way or the other to the development of the school. the senate are empower to manage, discipline and run the affairs of the University. but, they are are not deem fit to be informed about changing the name of the University? dictatorship mentality they worry u shocked.

"Unilag is funded by the majority of the people of this country, not the students or their lecturers". because na free education unilag they run mumu
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by barrybanbi: 9:48am On May 31, 2012
I strongly disagree with odumorun 1.
your analysis lacks merit. what did u mean by the school is funded by the government? who are the government? government are steward put in a position to manage resources of their people. so, the university, senate and students are not Nigerians ba? they are chico. the tuition fees that they pay are for fun?. the senate are empower to manage, discipline and run the affairs of the University. but, they are are not deem fit to be informed about changing the name of the University? dictatorship mentality they worry u shocked.

"Unilag is funded by the majority of the people of this country, not the students or their lecturers". because na free education unilag they run mumu
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by alahamad(m): 9:48am On May 31, 2012
@coogar.....I hope u see dis....
I used to fink beaf was he only fool on dis forum but now I know ur the presido of fools cos ur stup.idity superceeds that of even the retarded Jonadunce himself....

Am sure you attended a poly or never even got anywhere in the learning world, you lack taste ans style....that's why you know nothing about the numerous positive effects of branding...

Nd as for the target practice u want the kids to be subjected to, just thank your star I don't knw u...would have shown u what it feels like......

U blady skunk....
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by olatbaba: 9:49am On May 31, 2012
If you do not have any connection with unilag maybe you graduated from there, have a son there or currently a student, you won't understand why we are fighting so you are advised to mind your business. FG did not rename unilag, president did. Is he the only one that make up the FG. Before such decisions could be made he should have consulted the national assembly. Whether y'all like it or not. University of Lagos remains UNILAG and it can never be changed by mere speech. And to all haters. Na una go carry moshood abiola university certificate for hand o!
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by edicolove: 9:49am On May 31, 2012
I have never seen this level of celebration of emptiness, vanity and nothingness before in my life. I am still in shock. This is a total reality check of what we have become as a nation. A people of vanity. How can students go on the street and highways to reject in totality the only real symbol of democracy we have in Nigeria? And hear them: "the name has no swag". "The name is a brand". Countries have changed names. Cities, both ancient and modern, have changed names. What is in a common University that would warrant the desecration of our only symbol of democracy. But alas! This is Nigeria. A people that celebrate emptiness. Only in Nigeria you hear people addressed as engineer or architect or deacon so and so. I used to join the band wagon that say our older generation are our problem but now I see a young generation that is set to redefine absurdity. They k ow nothing but the fake life.
Just to ask, where have you ever heard that the students of a university are consulted in the naming of the University? They are just students sent there by their parents to read their book. But they are obviously not interested in reading, only interested in yahoo activities.
I thought I would wake up this morning to hear people dissect and shred GEJ's speech to bits and give him serious posers why we haven't seen some crucial progress in governance. Why we haven't seen good signs of much needed infrastructure. But the yahoo boys didn't disappoint. The renaming of UNILAG to MAU is now the headlines. They have effectively given GEJ a very soft landing.
On the other hand, they have wiped out in less than 24hrs a very important democratic milestone. June 12 is just 2 weeks away and I look forward to seeing how these bunch will come back to tell the rest of Nigeria to celebrate the man whom they have just spat on his grave.

2 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by olatbaba: 9:53am On May 31, 2012
Abiola and the UNILAG are great iconic brands. You do not reward one entity by trading the other #GBAM!
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by Murphy7h4: 9:53am On May 31, 2012
[img]http://www.50centloseweight.com[/img]thank feck, the lagoon is behind the school. it would be a perfect tourist attraction.
there's still unibadan, uni of ife, uniben, uniport, ado bayero and the federal govt owns them all.
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by nduchucks: 9:56am On May 31, 2012
Our President keeps putting his foot in his mouth and I am tired of blaming his handlers for his screw ups. Is this man truly a dunce? I have tried my best to respect the man, but he is not helping matters at all.
Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by abacus(m): 10:02am On May 31, 2012
A-ZeD:

Unilag is not the property of the federal government, its the property of Nigerians.

Abeg my brother, you are on point jare. They are so myopic with their thinking. They even claimed they own oil, why won't they claim FG owns Unilag, one day they will come up with "GEJ owns Nigeria". It's thinking cheap we don't love or appreciate MKO Abiola.

GEJ is a fraud and hypocrite .. He's done with the NORTH by giving them BOKO HARAM and next agenda is SOUTH-WEST. Bible says in Job 8:13 "The hypocrite's hope shall perish". Nigeria will be great.

2 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming by Demdem(m): 10:07am On May 31, 2012
edicolove: I have never seen this level of celebration of emptiness, vanity and nothingness before in my life. I am still in shock. This is a total reality check of what we have become as a nation. A people of vanity. How can students go on the street and highways to reject in totality the only real symbol of democracy we have in Nigeria? And hear them: "the name has no swag". "The name is a brand". Countries have changed names. Cities, both ancient and modern, have changed names. What is in a common University that would warrant the desecration of our only symbol of democracy. But alas! This is Nigeria. A people that celebrate emptiness. Only in Nigeria you hear people addressed as engineer or architect or deacon so and so. I used to join the band wagon that say our older generation are our problem but now I see a young generation that is set to redefine absurdity. They k ow nothing but the fake life.
Just to ask, where have you ever heard that the students of a university are consulted in the naming of the University? They are just students sent there by their parents to read their book. But they are obviously not interested in reading, only interested in yahoo activities.
I thought I would wake up this morning to hear people dissect and shred GEJ's speech to bits and give him serious posers why we haven't seen some crucial progress in governance. Why we haven't seen good signs of much needed infrastructure. But the yahoo boys didn't disappoint. The renaming of UNILAG to MAU is now the headlines. They have effectively given GEJ a very soft landing.
On the other hand, they have wiped out in less than 24hrs a very important democratic milestone. June 12 is just 2 weeks away and I look forward to seeing how these bunch will come back to tell the rest of Nigeria to celebrate the man whom they have just spat on his grave.

My friend u talk too much. there is a thread for this already so if u are interested, leave this thread and go there
https://www.nairaland.com/950756/what-other-things-did-gej
Similar ones also exist, so use the search button.
Disccusions on this thread is currently in-line with the title of the thread.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Buhari Not Likely To Be Moved By NBA's Threat- The Cable / Ekiti APC Secretariat Sealed With Juju / Dele Momodu Reacts As Presidency Queries Obasanjo’s Absence At Democracy Day

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 179
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.