Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,553 members, 7,816,339 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:48 AM

Aso Rock Belongs To Nigerians...in A Democracy We Have No Pictures? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Aso Rock Belongs To Nigerians...in A Democracy We Have No Pictures? (29699 Views)

PDP Raises Rallying Cry - Says PMB Not Equipped To Lead In A Democracy / No Pictures Of Aso Rock / Why Are There No Pictures Of Aso Rock On The Internet? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Aso Rock Belongs To Nigerians...in A Democracy We Have No Pictures? by walton1(m): 8:26pm On May 31, 2012
werepeLeri: Blame it on GEJ.

Doing obasanjo or yardua's time did you see it? Dumb thinker.
Re: Aso Rock Belongs To Nigerians...in A Democracy We Have No Pictures? by werepeLeri: 9:10pm On May 31, 2012
walton1:

You are obviously too daft to know the meaning of sarcasm.

6 Likes

Re: Aso Rock Belongs To Nigerians...in A Democracy We Have No Pictures? by grafikii: 10:07pm On May 31, 2012
Mumu self dey form president. Smh
naptu2: President's office, State House, The Aso Rock Villa, Abuja.
Re: Aso Rock Belongs To Nigerians...in A Democracy We Have No Pictures? by DisGuy: 10:48pm On May 31, 2012
walton1:

sarcasm flew past ya!

And Yes, we actually saw it, these pics are not new and i think it one obansanjo junior who posted some picture few years ago
Re: Aso Rock Belongs To Nigerians...in A Democracy We Have No Pictures? by naptu2: 7:36am On Jun 03, 2012
Lagos House, Marina (residence of the Lagos State Governor, it should not be confused with State House Marina, which belongs to the Federal Government).

3 Likes

Re: Aso Rock Belongs To Nigerians...in A Democracy We Have No Pictures? by naptu2: 7:38am On Jun 03, 2012
President Jonathan and Prime Minister Cameron @ State House Marina

1 Like

Re: Aso Rock Belongs To Nigerians...in A Democracy We Have No Pictures? by naptu2: 7:43am On Jun 03, 2012
1) Sir Abubakar Tafawa Balewa (Prime Minister of Nigeria), Princess Alexandria (representative of Queen Elizabeth II) & Sir James Robertson (Governor General of Nigeria) @ State House Marina. Behind them are Tafawa Balewa’s ministers (including Chief Festus Okotie-Eboh, Alhaji Muhammadu Ribadu, Otunba T.O.S Benson & Raymond Njoku).

2) State House Marina circa 1950

Oops! The 2nd picture is too large to upload on nairaland.

Re: Aso Rock Belongs To Nigerians...in A Democracy We Have No Pictures? by naptu2: 7:52am On Jun 03, 2012
Dodan Barracks, Keffi Street, Obalende, South-West Ikoyi.

Dodan Barracks is an army barracks that has been the home of (1) the Federal Guards (?-1960s) The Brigade of Guards (1960s-1991), the Lagos Garrison Organisation (1990s) and presently, units of the 81st Division, Nigerian Army.

Behind Dodan Barracks is State House Ribadu Road.

Re: Aso Rock Belongs To Nigerians...in A Democracy We Have No Pictures? by naptu2: 7:59am On Jun 03, 2012
Changes I absolutely hate!

1) During the Obasanjo era (1999-2007) the iconic Dodan Barracks gate @ Ribadu Road was removed and replaced with an awful white gate. Thankfully, the other 2 state house entrances still have the iconic gate.

2) State House Marina was painted an awful shade of pink!
Re: Aso Rock Belongs To Nigerians...in A Democracy We Have No Pictures? by naptu2: 8:20am On Jun 03, 2012
State House Marina circa 1950 (resized)

1 Like

Re: Aso Rock Belongs To Nigerians...in A Democracy We Have No Pictures? by Nobody: 9:41am On Jun 03, 2012
Did Shagari live in Dodan barracks?
Re: Aso Rock Belongs To Nigerians...in A Democracy We Have No Pictures? by naptu2: 9:55am On Jun 03, 2012
Yep! At that time, the elections were dubbed "the race for Ribadu Road". He mostly used the Ribadu Road gate. I remember the noise his motorcade made on Awolowo Rd, after receiving the Pope in 1982. He sometimes used the helicopter. However, he was at Aguda House, Abuja when Buhari staged the coup against him. (On the day of Buhari's coup I actually got very close to the section of Dodan Barracks that you see in the picture above, but we where turned back by a soldier at a road block @ the junction).

Most of the military heads of state used the Ribadu Road gate when they had visitors and the Obalende Road gate at other times. Babangida was the only head of state that I saw using the Ikoyi Road gate (When Prince Charles and Diana visited Nigeria in 1989).

Out of all the motorcades I saw, Buhari's motorcade tripped me the most. I loved the armoured fighting vehicles.

Shagari and Buhari used the helicopters to fly to the airport and back, but Babangida never used them (rumour was that he was scared it would be shot down).

Obasanjo (1999-2007) and Jonathan have also used helicopters to go from MMA to Dodan Barracks.
Re: Aso Rock Belongs To Nigerians...in A Democracy We Have No Pictures? by naptu2: 10:05am On Jun 03, 2012
Back in the day Ikoyi road had some of Nigeria's most important security/government installations, but I was surprised that security wasn't tight on that road. All of that changed after the Orkar Coup. Road blocks were set up and you couldn't drive down Ikoyi Road between 6pm-6am.

On Ikoyi Road you have Dodan Barracks (the army barracks), Radio Nigeria (opposite the army barracks), State House (president's residence) and if you go to the end of the road and make two turns you'll get to Flag Staff House (Chief of Army Staff's house).
Re: Aso Rock Belongs To Nigerians...in A Democracy We Have No Pictures? by Nobody: 10:39am On Jun 03, 2012
naptu2: Yep! At that time, the elections were dubbed "the race for Ribadu Road". He mostly used the Ribadu Road gate. I remember the noise his motorcade made on Awolowo Rd, after receiving the Pope in 1982. He sometimes used the helicopter. However, he was at Aguda House, Abuja when Buhari staged the coup against him. (On the day of Buhari's coup I actually got very close to the section of Dodan Barracks that you see in the picture above, but we where turned back by a soldier at a road block @ the junction).

Most of the military heads of state used the Ribadu Road gate when they had visitors and the Obalende Road gate at other times. Babangida was the only head of state that I saw using the Ikoyi Road gate (When Prince Charles and Diana visited Nigeria in 1989).

Out of all the motorcades I saw, Buhari's motorcade tripped me the most. I loved the armoured fighting vehicles.

Shagari and Buhari used the helicopters to fly to the airport and back, but Babangida never used them (rumour was that he was scared it would be shot down).

Obasanjo (1999-2007) and Jonathan have also used helicopters to go from MMA to Dodan Barracks.
Thanks. I had always wondered what was so special about Abuja for Bako to risk his life to take control of it(he should have been the head of state).
As for Shagari, was he thinking he'll be safer because of loyalist soldiers with arms? cheesy
Re: Aso Rock Belongs To Nigerians...in A Democracy We Have No Pictures? by naptu2: 10:54am On Jun 03, 2012
I'm going to give you a link to an account of the coup (once I find it). I also read Shagari's version of events from excerpts of his book "Beckoned to Serve".

Basically, there had been rumours that there would be a coup. I remember that my mum remarked that dignitaries at the Independence Parade looked swollen (bullet-proof vests). However, nobody was sure if and when the coup would happen.

Shagari went to Abuja for some peace and quiet, so that he could work on his budget speech. The coup planners had already recruited some of the air force personnel on Nigeria 001. They planned to fly Shagari to (I think it was Kaduna) where Bako was waiting. Mid-flight, the air force guys told Shagari that they had to divert, because conditions in Abuja were not suitable. However, Shagari insisted on landing at Abuja and he got his wish.
Re: Aso Rock Belongs To Nigerians...in A Democracy We Have No Pictures? by naptu2: 11:05am On Jun 03, 2012
Dr Omoigui's account of Babangida's coup. It starts with an account of the coup against Shagari. http://www.dawodu.com/omoigui14.htm

1 Like

Re: Aso Rock Belongs To Nigerians...in A Democracy We Have No Pictures? by naptu2: 3:52pm On Jun 03, 2012
It's quite a while since I read Shagari's book. I posted his account of the coup against him (from memory). I got banned and the post hidden.
Re: Aso Rock Belongs To Nigerians...in A Democracy We Have No Pictures? by naptu2: 7:56am On Jun 06, 2012
1) Aso Rock Villa (walkway, car park, council chambers).

2) Aso Rock Villa grounds.

Re: Aso Rock Belongs To Nigerians...in A Democracy We Have No Pictures? by naptu2: 9:48pm On Jun 06, 2012
Council Chambers

Re: Aso Rock Belongs To Nigerians...in A Democracy We Have No Pictures? by Nobody: 10:50pm On Jun 06, 2012
ypzilanti:

Nigeria is the only country in the world that its citizens do not know what the presidential residence looks like.

How many countries of the world have you surveyed to reach this conclusion?

2 Likes

Re: Aso Rock Belongs To Nigerians...in A Democracy We Have No Pictures? by naptu2: 4:41am On Jun 07, 2012
FEC approves N7.1bn contract for design & construction of a new official residence for Nigeria's VP

December 24, 2009

The Federal Executive Council has approved a N7.1 bn contract for the design and construction, by Julius Berger Nigeria Plc, of a new official residence for the vice-president of Nigeria. The new official residence is to be built in 20 months in the Presidential Villa in the Three Arms Zone, Abuja.

Minister of Information and Communications, Prof. Dora Akunyili, addressed journalists and said “Council gave approval for the award of contract for the design and construction of the residence of the vice-president of the Federal Republic of Nigeria in the Three Arms Zone, Abuja, in favour of Messrs Julius Berger Plc. in the sum of N7,065,742.40, with 20 months as completion period.

“The vice-president currently resides at the Akinola Aguda House, within the precincts of the Presidential Villa, which is designed as a guest house for the President.”

The MinisterFederal Capital Territory, Adamu Aliero, explained that due to security considerations the contract was not awarded to Julius Berger through an open bidding process.

He said, “We did not advertise it for security reasons because you cannot subject the house of the number two man to public scrutiny. We did what we call selective bidding,” Julius Berger Nigeria Plc. was selected because of their experience in constructing the Presidential Villa and National Assembly complexes.”

Explaining why the building of a residence for the VP is considered a priority in Nigeria today despite the magnitude of problems facing the citizens of the country, the minister said “The vice-President is staying in a guest house meant for visiting heads of state.

“It is not right, it is not befitting for the vice-president. The former administration decided to give the house of the vice-president to the Chief Justice of Nigeria, which was in line with what was contained in the Abuja masterplan.

“It became imperative for us to provide accommodation for the vice-president. The vice-president has no accommodation; certainly you will agree with me that it is unbecoming for any government not to provide accommodation for its vice-president.

“It is unbecoming for the vice-president to stay in a guest house. We will now embark on the construction of a befitting residence for the vice-president.”

http://www.ngex.com/news/public/newsinfo.php?nid=8718
Re: Aso Rock Belongs To Nigerians...in A Democracy We Have No Pictures? by naptu2: 4:47am On Jun 07, 2012
Finally! I've found it. Here's the 2010 thread. It's got some really nice pictures of Aso Rock https://www.nairaland.com/521656/why-there-no-pictures-aso

1 Like

Re: Aso Rock Belongs To Nigerians...in A Democracy We Have No Pictures? by naptu2: 9:39am On Jun 09, 2012
In most capitals the major government buildings are usually in the same district as the residence of the head of state/head of government. I call these districts the districts of power.

Marina/Onikan: State House Marina is across the street (Cable Street) from Net Building. Beside it on Marina Street is Lagos House Marina, then Flag Staff House (current Lagos residence of the Chief of Army Staff and former residence of the Prime Minister), then across the street (Force Road) from that is the former residence of the Finance Minister. Behind State House Marina is Our Saviours (Anglican) Church, which used to be the State House chapel. Also behind State House Marina (but across the road) is Race Course/Tafawa Balewa Square, which was the venue of Independence Day parades. Beside Race Course is the former National Assembly Complex. This means that the National Assembly was just a short distance from the Prime Minister’s residence. On the other side of Race Course/Tafawa Balewa Square is Catholic Mission Street and across that street from Race Course is the Supreme Court.

Further up Marina Street is the old federal secretariat and the Cathedral Church of Christ (Anglican). Most of the ministries and departments that did not have offices at the secretariat had their offices along Broad Street.

State House compound contains a very large mansion (State House) and an administrative building behind it. The mansion is simply BEAUTIFUL, as are the grounds, which is a large garden with statues, ornamental lights, etc. Unlike other state houses, there are no Coats of Arms on the masts above the gate, but a large coat of arms is carved into the front of the building. The front gate faces the Marina, while the side gate is directly opposite Net Building. My favourite room is the “picture room” (more on that later).
Re: Aso Rock Belongs To Nigerians...in A Democracy We Have No Pictures? by naptu2: 9:50am On Jun 09, 2012
Ikoyi: The seat of power shifted from Lagos Island to Ikoyi Island in 1967, although quite a few government buildings, such as the Supreme Court remained on Lagos Island. The Presidency moved to State House Ribadu Road, otherwise known as Dodan Barracks. What is Dodan Barracks? So many people have asked me this question. Sometimes, I read in the media, or hear people say that this place or that place is Dodan Barracks and I’d think to myself, “that’s not Dodan Barracks”. So I’ll start with all the places that are called “Dodan Barracks”.

1)State House Ribadu Road: A portion of Ribadu Road was fenced off (which I think is one of the causes of traffic jams on Awolowo Road) and the State House complex was expanded. The complex comprises of the Council Chambers (which is the place that was often shown on the news), the president’s residence, the president’s office, Nnamdi Azikiwe Press Centre (built in 1989/1990), SSS offices, apartments for some of the workers, bunkers, etc. It has 3 gates, the front gate on Ribadu Road, the side gate on Obalende Road and the back gate on Ikoyi Road. I’ve always seen those gates as an iconic symbol of Nigeria/State House. The gates have a mast over them with the Nigerian Coat of Arms on the mast (I LOVE those masts). Unfortunately the Coat of Arms is no longer above the Ikoyi Road gate. State House Marina and State House Dodan Barracks have the same style of gates, a huge metal gate (I’m not sure if it’s brown or grey). I can understand how the unilag students feel, because I felt awful when the Obasanjo regime (1999-2007) replaced that gate at the Ribadu Road entrance with an awful white gate. In the 1980’s you could barely see the Ribadu Road gate before 8am because of the powerful, blinding lights there. There were always soldiers in the trees. The Ikoyi Road gate was the favourite gate of coupists. That gate is vertically opposite the radio station, so coupists like Orkar in 1990 could seize armoured cars from the radio station and attack state house through that gate, or like Babangida in 1975 and Dogonyaro in 1985, could use armoured vehicles from State House to secure the radio station. State House has several lawns (where the helicopter usually lands).

2) Dodan (Army) Barracks: Dodan Barracks is divided into two sections (either side of the Obalende Road driveway into State House). The Keffi Street section (pictured above) has offices (with five gates along Keffi Street) that are usually used for the commander, an engineering unit, a clinic/hospital, etc. Behind the offices is a large parade ground. This parade ground is usually converted to a prayer ground on Fridays and Muslim holidays. In the past, top government officials, wealthy muslims and others come from far and wide to pray with the head of state. Since 1999 the Lagos State Governor (Tinubu/Fashola) has prayed here every Muslim holiday. I remember that Orkar’s coup took place on a Sunday and the next Wednesday and Thursday were muslim holidays. Although people turned up on Wednesday to pray at the parade ground, they were thoroughly searched by security operatives and they prayed in front of tanks and artillery guns. There are barracks (living quarters) to the left and right of the parade ground. There is a very high wall, topped with a shiny metal fence, separating Dodan Barracks from State House Ribadu Road. There is a very narrow road that runs beside Dodan Barracks. It leads to mammy market/Obalende market, where wives of soldiers and policemen earn a living. There is a very narrow gate that leads from the parade ground to mammy market. There are some stalls at the edge of the parade ground, very close to that gate. Across State House driveway/Obalende Road is the other section of Dodan Barracks. This is largely composed of Barracks (living quarters) for the soldiers. It also has the Army Children’s School, protestant and catholic churches and a mosque. The main gate of this section is on Obalende Road, but there’s also a small side gate on Ikoyi Road.

The driveway into State House was a no go area in the past. There were no soldiers there, or security features, just that people never went there. It was a very strange thing. There were no signs saying forbidden zone or anything like that, but the place was just barren. That’s why I was shocked when I saw boys playing football on the driveway in 2002. The Ikoyi Road entrance was also used as a car park by people who come to renew their passport at the passport office across the road. Boko Haram has put paid to all of that (thankfully). The driveway is now gated and soldiers are stationed on Ikoyi Road to prevent people from parking their cars beside Dodan Barracks/State House.

3) Officers Mess: On the junction of Ribadu Road/Okotie-Eboh Road is the army officer’s mess. It is just before the cul-de-sac that leads to State House gate and it shares a wall with State House. Although it is not part of State House or Dodan Barracks, it is often called Dodan Barracks and indeed it is mentioned in the Wikipedia article about Dodan Barracks. The Officers Mess was often used as a banquet hall by Heads of State. It was the headquarters of the January 15th 1966 coup plotters. Remi Fani-Kayode was rescued from this compound by loyal soldiers and the acting minister of defence, Alhaji Ibrahim Tako Galladima, who lived at state house, which, at the time, was the residence of the minister of defence. Weddings and other social events are held in the hall and on the grounds of the army officer’s mess.

4) Mopol 2: The mobile police barracks is across the mammy market road from Dodan Barracks. It is home to the mopol 2 and mopol 22 police squadrons. It is often mistaken for Dodan Barracks. Some of the presidential police guard stayed at mopol 2 when the president lived at State House Ribadu Road. During the Shagari era, a lot of equipment was purchased for the police and mopol 2 was home to Saxon Armoured Cars, truck mounted hot water cannons, etc. There is sometimes friction between wives of policemen and wives of soldiers at the mammy market.

5) There were other facilities across South-West Ikoyi that were named “Dodan Barracks”. These include the State House Fire Service (Ribadu Road), Police Service Commission (Okotie-Eboh Road), etc. My favourite was the Conference Visitor’s Unit (CVU). If you can imagine a presidential garage or State House garage, then you’ve got an idea of CVU. It had Shagari’s long wheel base limousines, the Mercedes 500SEL the Pope used when he came to Nigeria in 1982, some of Babangida’s (1991) V-Booth stretch limousines, etc.

Of course, the Federal Secretariat, Ikoyi Road, was across the road from State House.

1 Like

Re: Aso Rock Belongs To Nigerians...in A Democracy We Have No Pictures? by naptu2: 9:55am On Jun 09, 2012
I call this room the picture room. It is the main reception room at State House Marina. Pictures of all past Nigerian heads of state/heads of government are hung on the wall.

In the picture below you can see that, probably because Nigeria was still young, they had pictures of African heads of state on the wall. I can see Nasser and Haile Sellasie.

In the pic below: (Seated in front) Major General J.T.U Aguiyi-Ironsi (Supreme Commander/Head of State). (Seated behind L-R) Major Hassan Usman Katsina (Governor Northern Region), Colonel Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu (Governor Eastern Region), Major David Ejoor (Governor Mid-Western Region), Commodore J.E. Akinwale Wey (Chief of Staff, Navy) & Colonel Yakubu Gowon (Chief of Staff, Army)

1 Like

Re: Aso Rock Belongs To Nigerians...in A Democracy We Have No Pictures? by naptu2: 9:59am On Jun 09, 2012
The walkway at State House Dodan Barracks (close to the council chamber).

In the picture below: (L-R) Vice Admiral Michael Adelanwa (Chief of Naval Staff), Major General Shehu Musa Yar’Adua (Chief of Staff, Supreme Headquarters), Lieutenant General Olusegun Obasanjo (Head of State & Commander in Chief), Lieutenant General Theophilus Yakubu Danjuma (Chief of Army Staff), Air Vice Marshall John Yisa Doko (Chief of Air Staff) and Alhaji Muhammed Dikko Yusuf (Inspector General of Police).

Re: Aso Rock Belongs To Nigerians...in A Democracy We Have No Pictures? by naptu2: 10:04am On Jun 09, 2012
Reception room at Aso Rock Villa. This is where the president usually receives new/departing ambassadors and is also the venue of the presidential media chat.

In the picture below are President Goodluck Jonathan and the Ambassador of Sao Tome and Principe.

Picture courtesy of Nigeriafirst (State House Aso Rock website)

Re: Aso Rock Belongs To Nigerians...in A Democracy We Have No Pictures? by nagoma(m): 11:21am On Jun 09, 2012
In a similar fashion to Dodan barracks Aso Rock villa is not a monumental edifice , but a sprawling complex of residential buildings, offices , meeting and conference rooms. Any single official picture of Aso rock villa will disappoint you.
Re: Aso Rock Belongs To Nigerians...in A Democracy We Have No Pictures? by naptu2: 11:37am On Jun 09, 2012
nagoma: In a similar fashion to Dodan barracks Aso Rock villa is not a monumental edifice , but a sprawling complex of residential buildings, offices , meeting and conference rooms. A singlpile iCal picture of Aso rock villa will disappoint you.

Exactly! In fact, there are private houses at the Aso Rock Villa. Some of the houses have even been advertised for sale in the property section of Nairaland.
Re: Aso Rock Belongs To Nigerians...in A Democracy We Have No Pictures? by naptu2: 5:36am On Jun 10, 2012
By the way, do you know that the structures in the Aso Rock Villa are "illegal structures" and an example of disrespect for town planning laws?

In the Abuja master plan the Aso Rock area is meant to be a green area, while the president's residence is meant to be at Aguda House. I remember Nasir El-Rufai asking (with a smile on his face), "do we demolish the Villa?"

1 Like

Re: Aso Rock Belongs To Nigerians...in A Democracy We Have No Pictures? by naptu2: 4:21pm On Jun 10, 2012

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Triplets: Ragnar, Aiden And Liam Femi Fani-Kayode New Photos / Emefiele's Wife, 3 Others Declared Wanted By EFCC / Nigerians React As Emefiele Drags INEC, APC, AGF To Court Over 2023

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.