Stats: 3,159,281 members, 7,839,386 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 06:16 PM

Senate Approves UNILAG Renaming - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senate Approves UNILAG Renaming (20458 Views)

UNILAG Renaming Noble But Illegal, Says Abiola's Lawyer Afe Babalola / Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming / Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola (2) (3) (4)

Re: Senate Approves UNILAG Renaming by sheyguy: 4:00pm On Jun 07, 2012
Even Bey-ounce University sounds better than MauLag . . .

Just imagine oh, MauLag school of Blah Blah Blah
Re: Senate Approves UNILAG Renaming by Donmeca(m): 4:01pm On Jun 07, 2012
This is a lie...pls don't try believing this BS. I am not against d renaming but d senate only received d bill yesterday and adjourned plenary till June 19. Who is ascology new by d way?
Re: Senate Approves UNILAG Renaming by onthefence: 4:04pm On Jun 07, 2012
Alxmyr:

House of Rep received the letter the same time senate received the letter from Mr. President.
They can take up the matter any time they wish. It still does not change the fact that the three bills will be consider together or concurrently.
As long as one of the three bill scale through, the remaining will do. Maddibo Univ. of Tech, Michael Okpara Univ. and Mosshood Abiola Uni. the bill for an acts to chage these names will run together. You cannot pass Maddibo Univ. of Tech. without passing MAULAG bill. That is where GEJ knocked out his critics.

In effect no approval has been given. We await the concurrence of the House. Why the rejoicing then?
Re: Senate Approves UNILAG Renaming by Genbuhari3: 4:06pm On Jun 07, 2012
I can see why nigerians are losing it to these clowns. How can the senate approve a bill without first reading, second reading, public hearing and final passage? I tire for some clowns on these nairaland sef who are celebrating what cannot be. Name eagles square after mko and then we know gej is worth his blunders.!
Re: Senate Approves UNILAG Renaming by Bigeye1: 4:06pm On Jun 07, 2012
Beaf: O ti tan!
Great MAULAGians, go back to school.

MKO has been duly honoured. He was a great man indeed. cool
yes he was, Far Greater than all the Graduates of that institution put together ...I even feel the school is too small for the memory of M•K•O...I expect to wake up one day and hear that June 12 is a national holiday and the Abuja Stadium renamed Mko Abiola Stadium
Re: Senate Approves UNILAG Renaming by Demdem(m): 4:06pm On Jun 07, 2012
~Bluetooth:

We need to watch out for buhari then . grin

grin grin grin. u are not serious ooo.
But honestly i would have preferred something monumental in Abuja than this for this great man. i hope this wont cause dissafection between MAULAG and MAUPOLY sha grin
Re: Senate Approves UNILAG Renaming by Alxmyr(m): 4:08pm On Jun 07, 2012
ypzilanti:

He's trying really hard isn't he?

Please he should use that creativity to pass the PIB into law, amend our outdated land use act, and enhance copyright and intellectual property laws in Nigeria. Those are legislations that will put bread and butter on Nigerian's table.

Joblessness.

Unfortunately, he is not the one that will pass these bills you talked about. Get your facts right because you point fingers.

Jobfulness
Re: Senate Approves UNILAG Renaming by ifihearam: 4:09pm On Jun 07, 2012
Who born the senator wey go oppose wetin my presido don yarn
Who na??
Tell me?
If we hear any further protest again from those MALU
We go add school uniform join
And the senate go still approve am. Heheheehe

President get power sha

Re: Senate Approves UNILAG Renaming by Jonzi(m): 4:12pm On Jun 07, 2012
[i][/i] angry dis isn't democracy then cos dis is somtin else..cos if truly it is den i guess d pples wish shud be grntd..
Re: Senate Approves UNILAG Renaming by OILOFGLADNESS: 4:12pm On Jun 07, 2012
[/size][font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font]most times i wonder so much on the type of undergraduate we have, pls i want to ask is it the container that matters or the content, students, future managers and directors, future governors and president , future doctors and lawyers fighting over frivolity matter, change of school name not even change of good lecturers and vc, nawaooo, my fellow nigerian student, pls lets be wise, there are better issues to agitate and make aluta over not this simple honor Jonathan decides to give to the dead who doesnt even know what is goin on, i[size=8pt]most times i wonder so much on the type of undergraduate we have, pls i want to ask is it the container that matters or the content, students, future managers and directors, future governors and president , future doctors and lawyers fighting over frivolity matter, change of school name not even change of good lecturers and vc, nawaooo, my fellow nigerian student, pls lets be wise, there are better issues to agitate and make aluta over not this simple honor Jonathan decides to give to the dead who doesnt even know what is goin on, imost times i wonder so much on the type of undergraduate we have, pls i want to ask is it the container that matters or the content, students, future managers and directors, future governors and president , future doctors and lawyers fighting over frivolity matter, change of school name not even change of good lecturers and vc, nawaooo, my fellow nigerian student, pls lets be wise, there are better issues to agitate and make aluta over not this simple honor Jonathan decides to give to the dead who doesnt even know what is goin on, i want to seize this opportunity to introduce us once again to someone special, someone who is the best person for us top get acquinted to, the same man who gave us the life we are still living, the same man who died that we may live, the same JESUS CHRIST OF CALVARY, REMAIN BLESS
Re: Senate Approves UNILAG Renaming by puffpuff: 4:12pm On Jun 07, 2012
Alxmyr:

Be informed.
The passage is the amendment to your so-called 'Act establishing Unila'.
And the amendment is a minor amendment to the bill. Its just an amendment in the short title of the bill.
That is where many of you protesting and shouting due process got it all wrong.
In this sort of amendment, there is no public hearing.
Its just one thing that can be done with in just one legislative sitting, except it is not popular with every members.
But unfortunately, most of you undermine the intelligence of GEJ and he beat you all to it by presenting 2 other bills alongside the one of UNILAG.
These two other bills seek the same thing, and they are popular with members.
It will be extremely out of place to pass the other 2 bills without passing the MAULAG bill.
As to the court, the court does not operate on emotion or popular opinion, it operates based on fact of the matter.
Besides, court interpret the law and does not initiate or make a law.
So go back to your school, when you collect your certificate with MAULAG on it, look for a tippex, erase MAULAG and write UNILAG.
Simple as A B C.
Re: Senate Approves UNILAG Renaming by puffpuff: 4:14pm On Jun 07, 2012
Alxmyr:

Be informed.
The passage is the amendment to your so-called 'Act establishing Unila'.
And the amendment is a minor amendment to the bill. Its just an amendment in the short title of the bill.
That is where many of you protesting and shouting due process got it all wrong.
In this sort of amendment, there is no public hearing.
Its just one thing that can be done with in just one legislative sitting, except it is not popular with every members.
But unfortunately, most of you undermine the intelligence of GEJ and he beat you all to it by presenting 2 other bills alongside the one of UNILAG.
These two other bills seek the same thing, and they are popular with members.
It will be extremely out of place to pass the other 2 bills without passing the MAULAG bill.
As to the court, the court does not operate on emotion or popular opinion, it operates based on fact of the matter.
Besides, court interpret the law and does not initiate or make a law.
So go back to your school, when you collect your certificate with MAULAG on it, look for a tippex, erase MAULAG and write UNILAG.
Simple as A B C.
Thank you. You have said it all.
Re: Senate Approves UNILAG Renaming by adelegacy(m): 4:15pm On Jun 07, 2012
well senate can i approve,is that wat we want now,billions of naira will now go into it.all unilag escription,letter headed paper,even new certificate ll b printed then couple with the LUTH.,everytins,wat of the website.will GEJ provides d fund.pls cant we use d money for other developments.GEJ shld hv use d money for its SURE
Re: Senate Approves UNILAG Renaming by Diligence: 4:15pm On Jun 07, 2012
It is in place for govt to name or rename certain institutions after some people in recognition of their contributions to mankind (especially). I am not from south-west nigeria, but having read and heard so much of his good heart towards people, institutions, Africa, Nigeria, etc, it hurts a part of my heart the depth of ignorance and crass incivility even amongst our so-called future leaders!
Re: Senate Approves UNILAG Renaming by nduchucks: 4:17pm On Jun 07, 2012
Kilode?!:
So how did they vote?

Who voted for and who voted against?

Also, can the Senate by itself amend an act of the national Assembly without a vote by The house of representatives?

I thought Senate + House of Reps = National Assembly, No?

Anyway, for those who are interested, below is the link to vote and proceedings on the HOA site, it has not been updated since February though, maybe we can get some detailed info from reporters covering the house.

http://www.nassnig.org/nass/votesenate.php

Ah ah, you are expecting too much out of the system. The entire charade was predictable and I'm afraid you'll not find out who voted for or against, any time soon. Sadly, this is the way things work around here. embarassed
Re: Senate Approves UNILAG Renaming by poj(m): 4:17pm On Jun 07, 2012
One thing is sure, majority of those backing d name change had severally sought admission in unilag without success. They should however be aware of d fact that d admission standard will not be below standard, even wt d name change. Bloody haters.

Re: Senate Approves UNILAG Renaming by daywatcher: 4:20pm On Jun 07, 2012
alot of people are not serious, 700+ doctors got sacked and nobody protested, they change university name and they start crying

Re: Senate Approves UNILAG Renaming by wenie(f): 4:22pm On Jun 07, 2012
Welcome to 3Sbids, a fun and exciting, fast-paced auction website. You can win all sorts of popular products at incredibly low prices. Look at our homepage to see what products are up for auction right now, and if one catches your eye, buy some bids for a low price.
Acquire your dream gadgets.. Eg Samsung Galaxy duo ,Solar Laptops, Mobile phones, etc and also household items like vacuum cleaners, microwaves ,etc all for as low as N1000 and even below…. All you have to do is to register and start bidding….follow this link .http://3sbids.com/users/register/wenenda
Re: Senate Approves UNILAG Renaming by ypzilanti: 4:23pm On Jun 07, 2012
Alxmyr:

Unfortunately, he is not the one that will pass these bills you talked about. Get your facts right because you point fingers.

Jobfulness

Joblessness.

He can send this bill for fast approval, but cannot send a version of PIB, Land Use Act, Copyright and intellectual property?

OK...You need some education I see.

In a presidential system a president must have a Legislative agenda for the year. This means, their are laws he should have singled out that he wishes to be passed that year. He can forward his version to the house of the assembly for debate, or the laws can originate directly from either house. Which ever way, he can use his political capital to make sure that the laws are passed.

Read a book, my brother. It is not literacy that is Nigeria's problem. It is awareness and education that is the major problem.
Re: Senate Approves UNILAG Renaming by ishmael(m): 4:25pm On Jun 07, 2012
berem: gbam! end of discussion. MAULAG students should better get their arses back to school before GEJ changes the name of the school again to DANA UNIVERSITY!
I can bet this wit anything, the students will prefer DANA to Moshood Abiola. Cant u see that it's the name that they don't like and not MKO in person? DANA sounds sweet and easy to call than those funny yoruba names like Moshood. The name of the school sounds like one islamiyya school. I can now feel what UNILAG students, lecturers, and alumni are feeling. E KPELE O!
Re: Senate Approves UNILAG Renaming by Nobody: 4:25pm On Jun 07, 2012
onthefence: Without amending the Act establishing Unilag? Now the National Assembly will be joined in the suit at the Fed High Court.
Federal law supersedes those bylaws
Re: Senate Approves UNILAG Renaming by Nobody: 4:26pm On Jun 07, 2012
I dont believe you.
ypzilanti:

Joblessness.

He can send this bill for fast approval, but cannot send a version of PIB, Land Use Act, Copyright and intellectual property?

OK...You need some education I see.

In a presidential system a president must have a Legislative agenda for the year. This means, their are laws he should have singled out that he wishes to be passed that year. He can forward his version to the house of the assembly for debate, or the laws can originate directly from either house. Which ever way, he can use his political capital to make sure that the laws are passed.

Read a book, my brother. It is not literacy that is Nigeria's problem. It is awareness and education that is the major problem.
Re: Senate Approves UNILAG Renaming by philip0906(m): 4:27pm On Jun 07, 2012
How is this going 2 put food on d table of millions of hungry nigerians?How is this going 2 increase our electricity generation?how is this going 2 fight corruption 2 a standstill? how is this going 2 provide jobs 4 millions of unemployed youths? how is this going 2 provide d basic infrastructure we desperately need 2 kick start industralization and attract foreign investors? how is this going 2 improve our poor security?
Mr GEJ is quick 2 pass bills dat have no value 2 our lives while more pressing need dat would positively affect the lives of millions of nigerians are pushed aside 4 trivial things.If he has gone with the aggression in which he is using 2 pursue d changing of unilag, security would have improved.if he had sent a bill 2 d senate proposing capital punishment 4 corrupt politicians, things would have started getting better. Sick country
Re: Senate Approves UNILAG Renaming by 4evergod3: 4:29pm On Jun 07, 2012
Senate never seems to be able to refuse to pass any bill passed by that drunk fisherman. Nigeria is a sinking ship and right now its everyman for himself but I thank God that the captain always goes down with his ship
Re: Senate Approves UNILAG Renaming by MoflekCida(m): 4:31pm On Jun 07, 2012
amefi: Mr Jonathan's govt is tsumnamic to Nigeria and the World at large.
Re: Senate Approves UNILAG Renaming by onthefence: 4:31pm On Jun 07, 2012
Billyonaire: Federal law supersedes those bylaws

Which bylaws?
Re: Senate Approves UNILAG Renaming by Donmeca(m): 4:35pm On Jun 07, 2012
Its always by voice vote, so u can't know who voted for or against.

ndu_chucks:

Ah ah, you are expecting too much out of the system. The entire charade was predictable and I'm afraid you'll not find out who voted for or against, any time soon. Sadly, this is the way things work around here. embarassed
Re: Senate Approves UNILAG Renaming by MoflekCida(m): 4:35pm On Jun 07, 2012
The pride of akokites is destroyed!!! ( -̩̩̩͡˛ -̩̩̩͡ )

Re: Senate Approves UNILAG Renaming by yoddy(m): 4:35pm On Jun 07, 2012
Re: Senate Approves UNILAG Renaming by Soocool1(m): 4:40pm On Jun 07, 2012
eeyah!
No more unilag! Now MALU
great MALU students.............................MOOOO!

Re: Senate Approves UNILAG Renaming by Eziachi: 4:43pm On Jun 07, 2012
Mrkuvuki: Most of the students protesting against the name change were less than 5yrs old during june 12...they will never understand
Is that so brain box?
Just like all history professors teaching you all about the Roman empire that is 5000 years older than them.

Saraki Jets To US To Attend Launch Of Trump's Africa Strategy / Shock In PDP As Dogara Returns To APC / Senator Joy Emordi Defects To APC

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52