Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,713 members, 7,816,942 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:42 PM

You Are Responsible For Your Own Happiness - Romance (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / You Are Responsible For Your Own Happiness (6425 Views)

You Are Responsible For Your Own Happiness / 8 Things Ladies Need To Fix Before A Responsible Man Can Marry Them / Men We Are Responsible, Its Our Fault! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: You Are Responsible For Your Own Happiness by 401kk: 4:05pm On Jun 23, 2012
tatiana009:

I know people with terminal illnesses who are happy, of course initially one will experince some saddness but what you choose to do about it afterwards is up to you. You can choose to wallow in self-pity or decide that no matter the number of days you have left you'll make the best of it. Most of the time we have no control over our environment or even circumstances but we always have control over how we react to whatever situation we find ourselves in

No they aren't happy. If you asked them if they wished to be in that state forever, they will definitely reject you. Coping and managing your present condition doesn't mean you're content and happy with it.

1 Like

Re: You Are Responsible For Your Own Happiness by 401kk: 4:19pm On Jun 23, 2012
joeydozzy:

no I don't think so cos you create your environment and bring out its conditions

No you don't.
I remember the story of Job in the bible, he was a happy man. He was wealthy and healthy, had children and servants etc. Then Satan struck! He lost his children, wealth and was inflicted with destructive disease.
He became sad, his happiness ( his health, wealth, and children) has been taken away from him. If you were in his situation, you wouldn't be happy.
Your happiness depends on two factors; internal and external.

2 Likes

Re: You Are Responsible For Your Own Happiness by queensmith: 4:27pm On Jun 23, 2012
fluid26:

It is not totally true. People, events and circumstances have strong effects on your happiness.

The mind is an amazing thing. However, it does not stand alone. It feeds off a myriad of variables.

The mind is subjective no doubt, but it's subject to itself mostly. The way you perceive things is the main determinate of how you react to situations. You can chose whether or not you want to be happy regardless of what people events and circumstances throw at you this is the whole point.

People are in more control than they realise.
Re: You Are Responsible For Your Own Happiness by queensmith: 4:30pm On Jun 23, 2012
401kk:

No you don't.
I remember the story of Job in the bible, he was a happy man. He was wealthy and healthy, had children and servants etc. Then Satan struck! He lost his children, wealth and was inflicted with destructive disease.
He became sad, his happiness ( his health, wealth, and children) has been taken away from him. If you were in his situation, you wouldn't be happy.

Job is an interesting story, however i'm not too sure if he was saddened by the loss or because the loss indicated God has turned His back on job?

I mean, i've always wondered how on earth he could be comforted by getting a new family? You can't replace your family? One of the weirdest stories in the Bible. . . . .anyways
So I imagine, Jobs happiness could have been dependent on his relationship with God rather than the earthly pleasures he enjoyed.
Re: You Are Responsible For Your Own Happiness by dasparrow: 4:35pm On Jun 23, 2012
401kk:

No you don't.

Well said especially at the bolded part.

queensmith:

Job is an interesting story, however i'm not too sure if he was saddened by the loss or because the loss indicated God has turned His back on job?

I mean, i've always wondered how on earth he could be comforted by getting a new family? You can't replace your family? One of the weirdest stories in the Bible. . . . .anyways
So I imagine, Jobs happiness could have been dependent on his relationship with God rather than the earthly pleasures he enjoyed.

Well said because that is another way of looking at it.
Re: You Are Responsible For Your Own Happiness by Nobody: 5:48pm On Jun 23, 2012
401kk:

No you don't.

you could be right but remember he had happiness after his suffering much more than his previous life. he created this new life by persevering in his test. even with the leprosy, he still got that faith to worship God. If he had lost his faith and cursed god, will he have the thousands cattle, uncountable farmlands and the riches he got? think about that cos I still believe he created his happiness just that he didn't know
Re: You Are Responsible For Your Own Happiness by teebadmus(m): 6:28pm On Jun 23, 2012
Honestly, happiness is a choice. Or how do we explain someone called 'man of many sorrows' and yet His heart was ful of gladness? Think abt it, this world has more of bad to offer us so, just be happy no matter d condition.
Re: You Are Responsible For Your Own Happiness by Audrie(f): 6:32pm On Jun 23, 2012
Yes, very true, man is responsible for his happiness. But true happiness can only be found in God. So, I guess you have the choice to experience the real deal or not. Your happiness shouldn't depend on what happens to you or not. When you are in God, the events surrounding you depends on His will and your reponse or odedience to His will. Hence everyday is "the day that the Lord has made, I will rejoice and be glad in it."
Re: You Are Responsible For Your Own Happiness by Nobody: 7:03pm On Jun 23, 2012
Many of you are not realistic...u're being too artificial and superficial!

Jesus Christ himself responded to events & circumstances many a time! He wept @Lazarus' death...He grieved @the garden of gethsemane...complaining bitterly of what was yet to be! ...etc.
He even went from ''being sad'' to ''being violent'' @the temple where traders were selling stuff! What more can I say to convince u?
Re: You Are Responsible For Your Own Happiness by Orikinla(m): 7:14pm On Jun 23, 2012
If there is anything I hate most in life is the miserable sight of an unhappy person or unhappy people.
My heart just breaks whenever I see unhappy people.
That is why 75% of my life work is spent on making people happy and preparing to celebrate the International Happiness Day on July 10.

Everybody has a right to happiness.
And I don't like those who make others unhappy.
Re: You Are Responsible For Your Own Happiness by jusbal(m): 9:41pm On Jun 23, 2012
being happy and fulfilled in life is da lords doing......
Re: You Are Responsible For Your Own Happiness by Nobody: 10:07pm On Jun 23, 2012
you people pay too much mind to 'self-help'/motivational books and stuff. If you're halfway intelligent you'd probably be unhappy often.
Re: You Are Responsible For Your Own Happiness by Nipeks(m): 2:29am On Jun 24, 2012
We can control our happiness most of the time but not all the time. Everybody has a breaking point. It's only matter time. Imagine yourself being whipped on your bare buttocks from dusk to dawn. I doubt if any self determination can stop you from crying like a baby. But then again, it only matter of time. And effort.
Re: You Are Responsible For Your Own Happiness by Nobody: 8:57am On Jun 24, 2012
Relates to the saying "you are your problem and you are your solution"
Re: You Are Responsible For Your Own Happiness by caye(m): 11:10am On Jun 24, 2012
tchaik: "When I was a little child
Happiness was there for a while
Then from me it slipped away
Happiness come back I say
Cos if YOU DON'T COME, I'M GONNA GO LOOKING, FOR HAPPINESS"
BOB MARLEY!!!!!
Omo, no body holds ur happiness, if u no fit make urself happy, then u are totaly PHUCKED!!!!!
Have you ever heard of a disease called' schizophrenia', whose line of attack is the mind; rendering it useless by means of delusions, and voices which limit a man's happiness and joy. If u watched the film 'A Beautiful Mind 'concerning a man called John Nash, you will understand; that happiness has physical, environmental and genetic dimensions which can be difficult; if not outrightly impossible for some people to achieve at a point in time.
Re: You Are Responsible For Your Own Happiness by 2good(m): 11:25am On Jun 24, 2012
caye: Have you ever heard of a disease called' schizophrenia', whose line of attack is the mind; rendering it useless by means of delusions, and voices which limit a man's happiness and joy. If u watched the film 'A Beautiful Mind 'concerning a man called John Nash, you will understand; that happiness has physical, environmental and genetic dimensions which can be difficult; if not outrightly impossible for some people to achieve at a point in time.

Almost Every deformity, disease or infection can be managed. Prof. John Nash (Starring Russel Crowe) was still able to control his schizophrenic disease later in life by learning how to manage those illusions. Stevie wonder has been blind for 62 years but have tried to create his own world for himself and not allow society to dictate what is happiness. People choose the way they want to live their life within the confine of the constraints of nature.
Re: You Are Responsible For Your Own Happiness by 401kk: 11:29am On Jun 24, 2012
Nipeks: Imagine yourself being whipped on your bare buttocks from dusk to dawn. I doubt if any self determination can stop you from crying like a baby.

Please tell 'em.
Re: You Are Responsible For Your Own Happiness by Nobody: 11:48am On Jun 24, 2012
2good:

Almost Every deformity, disease or infection can be managed. Prof. John Nash (Starring Russel Crowe) was still able to control his schizophrenic disease later in life by learning how to manage those illusions. Stevie wonder has been blind for 62 years but have tried to create his own world for himself and not allow society to dictate what is happiness. People choose the way they want to live their life within the confine of the constraints of nature.
In essence you are advocating conscious delusion(creating one's own world) as a means to being happy all the time? That's madness na.
Re: You Are Responsible For Your Own Happiness by caye(m): 11:57am On Jun 24, 2012
2good:

Almost Every deformity, disease can be managed.
except when you don't have the right information, inspiration and environment(never mind the selfhelp gurus). John Nash was lucky because he came from a society almost devoid of they mythical. Imagine if it were to be Africa: the numbers of Pastors that would prophesy that you had a demon, the traditional healers who would see a curse on you, the rejection by your family since you're 'weird' and poverty plus it's cousin, starvation, since the mentally stable are still jobless themselves(don't forget :John Nash still had a job after the crisis and a loving wife), if that happened to you ,HAPPINESS MAY BE IMPOSSIBLE.
Re: You Are Responsible For Your Own Happiness by 2good(m): 12:07pm On Jun 24, 2012
BoboYekini:
In essence you are advocating conscious delusion(creating one's own world) as a means to being happy all the time? That's madness na.

Not conscious delusion. The society brainwash everybody from birth as to what is happiness and what is sadness and we all try to live within the definition and expectation of the society which however, have been set by people before us. Most of us live a life based on some program written by the society and feel unfulfilled when we deviate from such expectations even when its the best for us.
Re: You Are Responsible For Your Own Happiness by 2good(m): 12:14pm On Jun 24, 2012
caye: except when you don't have the right information, inspiration and environment(never mind the selfhelp gurus). John Nash was lucky because he came from a society almost devoid of they mythical. Imagine if it were to be Africa: the numbers of Pastors that would prophesy that you had a demon, the traditional healers who would see a curse on you, the rejection by your family since you're 'weird' and poverty plus it's cousin, starvation, since the mentally stable are still jobless themselves(don't forget :John Nash still had a job after the crisis and a loving wife), if that happened to you ,HAPPINESS MAY BE IMPOSSIBLE.

Now you are raising a special scenario which is the problem with Nigeria. I try not to discuss Nigerian problem these days because I believe that the Nigerian culture and its societal mentality is the main problem and each time I raise this, people call me anti Nigeria. This is a country where people are celebrated for their wealth without its source queried, parent put pressure on children to be successful and over 80% of the population believe the solution to their problem is God as they have been fed from birth. Infact the problems are so infinitely many that nobody can analyse them as there will always be an unresolved loophole somewhere.

1 Like

Re: You Are Responsible For Your Own Happiness by caye(m): 12:19pm On Jun 24, 2012
[color=#990000][/color] Very true my friend. But don't forget that nairaland is about first and foremost about Nigeria. All other things follow.
Re: You Are Responsible For Your Own Happiness by 2good(m): 12:25pm On Jun 24, 2012
caye: [color=#990000][/color] Very true my friend. But don't forget that nairaland is about first and foremost about Nigeria. All other things follow.

I agree with you except that a sane person appears to be insane in a society where majority of the people are insane.
Re: You Are Responsible For Your Own Happiness by caye(m): 12:28pm On Jun 24, 2012
I suspect that the universal goal of mindkind all these centuries has been happiness. When nations go to war; to invade other countries, the end goal is to increase their own happiness; regardless of who gets trodden down, sex is all about happiness, even a terrorist believes that ULTIMATELY he or she would have happiness IN A HEAVENLY BROTHEL after killing or being killed. Everything about humans is to achieve that ultimate goal:HAPPINESS.
Re: You Are Responsible For Your Own Happiness by 2good(m): 12:34pm On Jun 24, 2012
caye: I suspect that the universal goal of mindkind all these centuries has been happiness. When nations go to war; to invade other countries, the end goal is to increase their own happiness; regardless of who gets trodden down, sex is all about happiness, even a terrorist believes that ULTIMATELY he or she would have happiness IN A HEAVENLY BROTHEL after killing or being killed. Everything about humans is to achieve that ultimate goal:HAPPINESS.

You are so on pint except that people think happiness have a universal definition and refuse to accept the fact that what makes them happy might not make others happy, hence they use their authority to impose their believes and ideology on others.
Re: You Are Responsible For Your Own Happiness by caye(m): 12:40pm On Jun 24, 2012
2good:

You are so on pint except that people think happiness have a universal definition and refuse to accept the fact that what makes them happy might not make others happy, hence they use their authority to impose their believes and ideology on others.
But happiness must have some minimum foundation; Dale Carnegie talked about : having the basics of existence (food, clothing, shelter), good relationship with the outside world, sex, laughter and a reasonable religion. Let me throw a challenge to you: when can you say a man is happy?
Re: You Are Responsible For Your Own Happiness by 2good(m): 12:54pm On Jun 24, 2012
caye: But happiness must have some minimum foundation; Dale Carnegie talked about : having the basics of existence (food, clothing, shelter), good relationship with the outside world, sex, laughter and a reasonable religion. Let me throw a challenge to you: when can you say a man is happy?

I can say when I'm happy and not another man because that will result to stereotyping. Basic law of economics states that human want is insatiable. I remember when I was doing my BSc, I saw earning 100k naira salary as a mega salary. But after earning a reasonable multiple of that figure over time, I ask myself what I really need to be satisfy. Everybody have different problem, goals and aspiration depending on their current status. Most EU citizens are not so bothered about saving for retirement because they have good social security, good pension program and on a worst case scenario you'll stay in a government house when you're old. But in Africa and most Asian countries, you are on your own and that sole reason makes people not to work for just today but also the future when their body starts to fail them and they have no where to go for help.
Your current state determines your reasoning and expectations from life.
Re: You Are Responsible For Your Own Happiness by caye(m): 1:14pm On Jun 24, 2012
2good:

I can say when I'm happy and not another man because that will result to stereotyping. Basic law of economics states that human want is insatiable. I remember when I was doing my BSc, I saw earning 100k naira salary as a mega salary. But after earning a reasonable multiple of that figure over time, I ask myself what I really need to be satisfy. Everybody have different problem, goals and aspiration depending on their current status. Most EU citizens are not so bothered about saving for retirement because they have good social security, good pension program and on a worst case scenario you'll stay in a government house when you're old. But in Africa and most Asian countries, you are on your own and that sole reason makes people not to work for just today but also the future when their body starts to fail them and they have no where to go for help.
Your current state determines your reasoning and expectations from life.
In other words, you are saying that the physical condition of a man may IN CERTAIN SITUATIONS determine his level of happiness? Love that. Hope you talk to the hyper-ventilated self help gurus who believe that they can't be unhappy regardless of what happens to them, which sometimes i'm tempted to believe myself. Only that if one experiences what Nigerian religious and economic refugees experience, one may go totally insane from despair and depression.
Re: You Are Responsible For Your Own Happiness by 2good(m): 1:18pm On Jun 24, 2012
caye: In other words, you are saying that the physical condition of a man may IN CERTAIN SITUATIONS determine his level of happiness? Love that. Hope you talk to the hyper-ventilated self help gurus who believe that they can't be unhappy regardless of what happens to them, which sometimes i'm tempted to believe myself. Only that if one experiences what Nigerian religious and economic refugees experience, one may go totally insane from despair and depression.

If the method used by these self help gurus to find happiness works well for them, then its good for them. We are all unique and should learn now not to make what have been set before us to be our absolute standard in life.
Re: You Are Responsible For Your Own Happiness by caye(m): 1:26pm On Jun 24, 2012
2good:

If happiness works well for these self help guru's then its fine for them. We are all unique and should learn now not to make what have been set before us to be our absolute standard in life.
Word. Love our intellectual discourse devoid of the usual infantile ramblings of some 'landers *too much gammar*. Hope you have a nice day.
Re: You Are Responsible For Your Own Happiness by 2good(m): 1:32pm On Jun 24, 2012
caye: Word. Love our intellectual discourse devoid of the usual infantile ramblings of some 'landers *too much gammar*. Hope you have a nice day.

I also enjoyed exchanging ideas with you. Do have a nice day too.
Re: You Are Responsible For Your Own Happiness by toria1980(f): 10:21am On Jun 25, 2012
biker-boy:
Wat if U 're involved in a natural disaster, dat inflicts pain on U. Automatically, your happiness is stolen away.

So wat do U make out of it?

It is of two things..u either allow d situation to sadden ur mood or u choose 2b happi irrespective of your state.. It is only d dead that can't make a choice

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

If You Can't Suck Pulzy You Must Read This. / Do Nigerian Girls Prefer Fair Or Dark skinned Men? / I MADE an Attempt and This Is What I Got [Picture]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.