Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,713 members, 7,809,704 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:34 PM

Starting a Business (For The Entrepreneurs) - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Starting a Business (For The Entrepreneurs) (13321 Views)

My Business 1 0 1: The Entrepreneurs' Lounge / 12 Young Entrepreneurs Who Make Me Feel Optimistic About Nigeria's Future / Nigerian Entrepreneurs Worth Admiring (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Starting a Business (For The Entrepreneurs) by nferyn(m): 10:37am On Oct 04, 2005
kazey:

Hmm I really don't want to start picking on what you said one by one but since you ask for something to read. please visit.

http://www.johntreed.com/Kiyosaki.html

it should be very educative i think wink

Very informative indeed. Bring on the salt ... Seems that he - as a person - is indeed full of crap.

I will continue the read and come back to topic once I've gone through the whole article.

But please, do pick on what I said, one can only learn from discussion
Re: Starting a Business (For The Entrepreneurs) by smartsoft(m): 5:34pm On Oct 05, 2005
Men.. Joftech Education ius vital oh.. don't say u go wait... men u go old oh..
Re: Starting a Business (For The Entrepreneurs) by joftech(m): 9:32pm On Oct 05, 2005
Men.. Joftech Education ius vital oh.. don't say u go wait... men u go old oh..

@ smartsoft, what and who gave you the impression that am your typical illitrate. And i will be glad if you can tell me what you mean by education.
Re: Starting a Business (For The Entrepreneurs) by yakubu: 6:04pm On Dec 28, 2005
To start a business there is need to create master plan and study the market that u are interesting before goingin to any business.

Been an entrepreneur is not a day job there is special need for u to focus on particular area study it, make contact to does who are currently in the system and ask them on area that which u are not cleared/familier.

Dont just inter like that.
Re: Starting a Business (For The Entrepreneurs) by uche77zero(m): 11:08am On Jul 29, 2006
hi
i have a regular reader of narialand but yet to find when u belong
i guess i just did hope to learn from you guys and offer my own assistance where i can
i believe in training njot education, understanding what u are doing, patience and understanding the risk involved and support from th person closest to you emotionally cause atimes u will feel like running
i will tell me story comprehensively soon
i run an employmnent newsletter in port harcourt yet to be on the stand for teh past four montsh that is where patience comes in but hope to start reaping soon but i had to work on my foundation
i popular an okro grows faster than a palm tree buta teh palm grows much taller stronger and last longer
so please look and think before you leap
uche
Re: Starting a Business (For The Entrepreneurs) by otokx(m): 1:44pm On Jul 29, 2006
i'd like to hear more about this your employment newsletter
Re: Starting a Business (For The Entrepreneurs) by Seun(m): 2:28am On Apr 10, 2007
Hmmm. I think more people need to see this old thread.
Re: Starting a Business (For The Entrepreneurs) by Rlst84sale(m): 9:48pm On Apr 10, 2007
I just read some of the responses to this posting. The only problem we guys abroad are having in investing in our young entrepreneurs back home is the trust factor. There are a lot of us that would love to invest in good projects without siphoning fellow partners especially the brain part of it if you know what I mean. One of my friends went into business with a guy back home, here was a guy who represented himself as good businessman, Godfearing and all that until the business started to flourish and all of a sudden home boy burnt rubber with money, started developing property and kept telling my friend story after story until he got him arrested by intelligent services. It's not everyone that has access to intelligent services, the legal system is not reliable even if you have a contract the court system, and or the police can frustrate you. We all hope that these wind of change that is currently blowing in Naija would stay steady and stronger and our country would become better. As I always am, I'm so proud of you guys for all the efforts you are making back home, irrespective of how tough it is you are still making such difference as this. Keep up the good work.
Re: Starting a Business (For The Entrepreneurs) by spoilt(f): 5:23am On Jun 30, 2007
the day i quit my job to work for myself will be the happiest day of my life. my job has me so stressed that my hair's falling out.  i have a little international business on the side but i am planning towards laying down full time on the beach eating something sweet and sticky watching the waves and not giving a hoot about how many hours are in the day.  grin

to anyone wanting to start a business. do it. do your homework well.the first few years will be the hardest. but then will come the big break.  cool
true. guys back home may not run the business with as much passion. dont let that deter you. find someone you can trust and pay them well. no one works for free!
Re: Starting a Business (For The Entrepreneurs) by Chiaka(f): 4:45pm On Jun 30, 2007
joftech ! what in the world is your problem? What are you doing? encouraging yourself and those who care to share your opinion that a university degree and especially in Nigeria is not worth it. If that’s your thinking then no where in the world is it worth it.
Everyone out of the university still have to add value to their life by improving on or acquiring additional skill after graduation, it’s the same all over the world whether you school in Nigeria or not. Wake up! Stop excusing yourself and get some schooling it pays in many ways even if you hope to or you already running your own business. By the way you dint tells us whether or not you are running your own business or still working with that cyber cafe where you started your life.

Talking about Bill gates, yes! he isn't a university graduate doesn't mean he never took part. He dint complete his university degree and record shows he was doing very well while at the university. He dropped out of the university to face his programming life not seating at cyber café reading encyclopaedias. In any case he was enrolled in and been thought by lectures for the period he was there. Wake up! and get yourself strengthened up. You’re talking like you’re comparing yourself with bill gates, ok, tell us, what have you achieved and how did you get there? we're talking about peoples experiences on "Starting a business" the ups and down! . Stay in and not out of focus.
Re: Starting a Business (For The Entrepreneurs) by Seun(m): 9:41am On Oct 16, 2007
It's funny how I'm yet to start a company even after all these years since we started the thread.
Re: Starting a Business (For The Entrepreneurs) by ruemu(m): 5:40am On Oct 17, 2007
@ Poster I have the same mentality several years back, Fortunately I worked in a cafe too before starting up.
I remember telling myself same thing, NEVER NEVER to study in this country, WHY, simply because I see it as a waste of time(i work in a cafe in unilag then, So i can tell u i have a first class experience of what a time wasting adventure it was), I for one believe in the knowledge you grab & use, not in the paper you possess (CERTIFICATE) but the irony of it ,
our people believe in the certificate even when they cheat in exams/ JOB test.

I personally won't work again for any organization again, consulting is fair, but I still need the certificate even if it's naija base.

WHY, because fortunately/unfortunately your system ask for it. , (NOW am considering getting the certificate but not one that will waste my time. so I opt for the NOUN. men I won't use it for a job search but for ref to my kids.
Why simply because even some parent that don't have certificate, you hear them say I'll do everything to educate my kids(certificate) i tell you in the coarse of this struggle ofr cert. the kids pursue the certificate and eventually don't see beyond it nose.

====
@ all thanks for your insights
starting up for me, was like a child learning to walk, you stand and fall and stabilize with time. Be innovative always think outside the box and you'll definitely fail forward,

in 3 words, PLAN, EXECUTIVE, CASH (to work with even if it's small).

I'm saying this because I started my business with my 8k salary then, needless telling u , it was very challenging,
===

RIGHT NOW AM REPACKAGING THE ENTIRE BUSINESS , PARTNERS ARE WELCOME.
018971119 reliable solution
Re: Starting a Business (For The Entrepreneurs) by kayse200(m): 10:10pm On Jan 02, 2009
to start a business requires money and most Nigerians have little or no capital.

contact us for advice on how to invest $30 and turn it to N200,000 in a year.

Also buy Liberty reserve for N150 or less if you become one of our member.

call. 07029427018, mail netfirmsresources@yahoo.com
Re: Starting a Business (For The Entrepreneurs) by Cayon(f): 7:38pm On Jan 03, 2009
@poster

here is an excerpt from an email

"Your business can be successful.  However, there are lots of obstacles there, not the least of which is all the cash required. Security costs are very high, and you must factor in a nice chunk of change for theft. It can be done, but you will have to grow a thick skin, and a few more sets of eyes."
Re: Starting a Business (For The Entrepreneurs) by JJYOU: 7:55pm On Jan 03, 2009
Cayon:

@poster

here is an excerpt from an email

"Your business can be successful.  However, there are lots of obstacles there, not the least of which is all the cash required. Security costs are very high, and you must factor in a nice chunk of change for theft. It can be done, but you will have to grow a thick skin, and a few more sets of eyes."

very true. go ask wall mart and the likes with all the tagging and physical security prescence theft is still very high
Re: Starting a Business (For The Entrepreneurs) by Kolabakar: 12:27pm On Jan 07, 2009
Please how do I get addresses of construction/furniture companies in Nigeria you know that am into Glass Design and bullet proof Glass and I would love to be informed about places where construction is going on. This is my e-mail Bacry09@yahoo.com or call 08024212942

Re: Starting a Business (For The Entrepreneurs) by Didi42: 3:38pm On Jan 08, 2009
well we all know that starting a business is not an easy task but this is not peculiar to Nigeria alone, although other countries have better facilities and infrastructure to support entrepreneur but it is still a daunting task.

I currently work for a business brokerage company and a venture capital company that invest  seed capital in startups and early stage women owned businesses. I advise people to buy businesses if they can rather than start from the scratch because finding finance for an establised business is far more likely than a startup.
Re: Starting a Business (For The Entrepreneurs) by tksays(m): 8:16pm On Jan 09, 2009
Every one, even an diot can start a business anywhere in the world and succeed at it, if he can simply pay the price of being an entrepreneur.

When l saw this post l decided to do a reseach on it , and l fund this report that will provide you with some tip on how tp start and run a successful business.

Anyone with a marketable idea and the initiative to make it work can start a business. Do you have what it takes? This article will help you find out.

Mike Moylan and his brother Brendan were only high school students when the took the biggest step of their lives. They launched Eurosport (www.soccer.com), a catalog business that sells soccer equipment and related products. "We were not the most sophisticated business people in the world, but we understood the game of soccer," says Brendan in Entrepreneur Magazine's "Young Millionaires" by Rieva Lesonsky. "People let us know right away that there was a market for our expertise."

Project Management Standard Program That was in 1984. Today, the two brothers have renamed their business Sports Endeavors. In 1997, sales surpassed $38 million. "We were in the right place at the right time," says Brendan.

Biz Sense

But it's not just luck that turns a good idea into a great success. Six-figure CEOs-whether teenagers or adults--are not born with the skills and abilities necessary to mass-market a product or service successfully.

Becoming an entrepreneur, or business person, is a learning process, says Robin Anderson, a business professor and director of the Center for Entrepreneurship at the University of Portland in Oregon. Anderson says businesses motivate students to learn skills that connect them with the real world.

Take, for instance, Jennifer Kushell, author of The Young Entrepreneur's Edge: Using Your Ambition, Independence and Youth to Launch a Successful Business: By the age of 19, Jennifer had operated four businesses: They involved T-shirts, gift baskets, women's safety seminars, and videotapes of college tours. Handson experience taught Jennifer a lot about business. But she wanted to learn more. She started reading entrepreneur-related books and magazines and began attending conferences and seminars. At a conference, she came up with her bets money-making venture. The Young Entrepreneurs Network, an organization that supports and educates entrepreneurs, and puts members into contact with other young business people.

What It Takes

Most entrepreneurs are not Ivy-League whiz kids like Robert Sundara hen, who graduated from Stanford and founded a multimillion dollar sporting-goods site, FogDog. Still, it takes a certain kind of person to go it alone as an entrepreneur. You must be a risk-taker, for one thing. You must be creative and enjoy working hard in an area you find fascinating. You also must enjoy the independence and responsibility of being your own boss. "I like having my own hours," says D'Arcy Marlow, 18, who operates a bench-building business. D'Arcy makes benches during spring summer and winter breaks an West Texas A&M University.

To succeed as an entrepreneur, in also helps to be skilled in a practical area. May be you like to garden, make crafts, or build furniture. Or perhaps you can fix appliances or bikes or whip up a tasty dessert. For example, brothers Sean, Brenden, and Paddy O'Connell realized they had the skills o teach younger kids the basics of basket-ball. So the three teens organized the O'Connell Basketball Camp in River Forest, Illinois. They turned a hobby they loved into a business that pays did Regina Jackson, 18, of Washington, D.C. She took $50 and talent for crafting beautiful ornaments and opened a jewels design business. Her long range goal is to own an international chain of shops.

Entrepreneurs also must be working hard. By the time Katie Beeman, from Duluth, Minnesota was 18, she had started and operated two successful businesses a lawn service and a Christmas tree lot. Thanks to this experience and her school accomplishments she won a four-year Young Entrepreneurial Business Scholar to the University of St. Thomas.

It's important for business people to be able to recognized good idea and act quickly implement it. Take Claire Meunier. The 17-year-old New Orleans high-school campus survival pack as a gift for an older brother going off to college. When the idea began attracting attention, Claire recognized its money-making potential. So last year she surveyed college kids, tapped family friends for financial information, and wrote a business plan for Meuniers"s Commodities. The plan won the Independent Means National Business Plan Competition. Now a freshman at Vanderbilt University, Claire has opted to become a business major.

Turn Bytes Into Bucks

A knowledge of computers is vital to becoming an entrepreneur, reports Young Biz's "Report on Youth Entrepreneurship." At least 75 percent of the top 100 businesses use computers to perform tasks. And the three highest moneymaking categories are computer-related.

Take Rishi Bhat, 15, for example. A 10th grader from Chicago, Rishi co-wrote the computer program, SiegeSoft, which lets people surf the Internet anonymously. He then set up a Web site to market. copies of the program. Within a few months, Rishi sold the program for $1.6 million.

Students at St. Helens High School in Oregon also have taken advantage of the demand for technology. They started a computer company--one of the nine businesses the students operate. Other businesses include a catering company, an art gallery, and a construction firm. Most of the students working in the companies receive class credit for their jobs. But a few of the jobs pay.

Just Do It!

Joshua Fagan, from Camarillo, California, recently won a $12,000 college scholarship from the National Association for the Self-Employed for his business, Cute Stuff Artworks, which sells creative art for children's rooms. "Entrepreneurs succeed because they don't just wish things would happen. They make them happen," Joshua,. 15, said in a recent interview.

Want to start a business? Here's how to set one up:

* Write a Plan

A business plan is really an action plan. It usually includes a description of your finances (startup costs, prices of products or services, and projected income), market research (gathered from customer surveys, library research, and discussions), advertising (for instance, flyers and business cards), and a description of sales goals.

To make money you must have money to invest. Before Evan Kiley, 18, and Renold Aparicio, 19, from Corona, California, established Impact Clothing, their vintage clothing store, they wrote a 30-page business plan. The main reason? To get start-up money: $1,500 from a local grant and $12,000 in bank loans. You may also want to borrow from parents, other relatives, or adult mentors, but make sure your agreement includes repaying debt.

* Advertise for Customers

At age 14, Mallory Gollick, from Denver, Colorado, learned how to publicize Jungle Beans, a coffee bean business. Mallory ran off flyers and did a lot of networking to spread the word about her business.

Internet sites also are great for advertising, suggests Eryn Ozanne, from Binghamton, New York. The 17-year-old runs a sewing business--www.clothesforthesoul.com. Her site attracts clients from all over the country. Of course she also sells clothes to local retail outlets.

* Hire Staff

Most entrepreneurs start out alone or with a few partners and then gradually add employees. James Carpenter, a 17-year-old high-school senior from Louisville, Colorado, is an exception. He operates Athletic Dance Studio International. He hires dance instructors to help him choreograph and teach routines to competitive teams of high-school dancers and cheerleaders.

Pros and Cons

The entrepreneurial life has advantages and disadvantages. On the negative side, you risk spending money and time on a venture that could fail. You also may be subject to emotional highs and lows, not to mention a lack of take-home pay and less free time. On the other hand, Bonnie Drew and Marilyn Kourilsky, editors of Young Entrepreneur Magazine, say, "Running a business offers you a tremendous opportunity to improve your leadership, communication, and management skills while earning income."

You become a better decision maker. For example, when Michelle Barsamian, a 16-year-old student in an entrepreneurial class, had to decide if she should sell Las Vegas souvenirs in Boston (as her father suggested), she weighed her personality against the demands of the business. Michelle decided against the enterprise for three reasons: She wouldn't like standing all day in a mall kiosk or booth, she didn't like Las Vegas souvenirs, and she wasn't a "people person."

Another excellent skill you develop is seeing the "big picture," says Arthur Berg Bochner, who at age 11 co-authored The Totally Awesome Money Book for Kids and Their Parents. Bochner says you learn to recognize whether a situation is doable under a certain set of factors, such as costs, necessary skills, and supplies.

The most immediate advantage, however, is money. Young Biz magazine found that its four highest teenage earners were Internet entrepreneurs who made an average of $432,500 per year. Michael Furdyk, from Toronto, Canada, who recently started BuyBudcly.com (a comparison shopping service), sold his first Web company for more than $1 million.

Another advantage to taking the entrepreneurial road is self-development. Most teen entrepreneurs say they grow in self-confidence and initiative. For instance, Tayron Lynch from New York City says he feels more "intelligent." And it's no wonder! To run his stationery business, Tayron learned to use computers, keep track of inventory, manage money, and research the market. "It also gave me something to do other than hang out and waste my time," he says.

Last of all, becoming an entrepreneur can help you test out possible career choices. Discovering that a pet-sitting business gives you less time for interacting with animals (something you enjoy) and requires more customer relations (which you dislike) is valuable information. It can affect the choice of a college major or graduate school program.

Before You Take the Plunge

Before jumping into the entrepreneurial pool, get as much advice as possible. For one thing, study the industry you're entering, counsels 16-year-old Pankaj Arora, a high-school student and computer programming entrepreneur from Rochester, Minnesota.

Here are some other ideas for maximizing your chances for success:

* Make sure you match the right business with your experience. Review past volunteer or paid jobs you have had. What useful skills did you pick up? Scan the newsstand or your library shelf for magazines and books with start-up ideas.

* Use the Internet to investigate other competing entrepreneurial ideas. How does yours differ? Are you bringing a new twist to an old idea? Is there a need for this unique product or service?

* Write a business plan that focuses on three resources: money, strategies, and people. Ask yourself questions, such as: Who can bankroll this idea? What methods of advertising should I use? How much money must I charge to cover my costs (expenses) and still make a profit? What people or groups will be my customers?

* Start small, says Jennifer Kushell. Use free office space such as your bedroom or dorm. Make do with equipment you already have, such as your personal computer. "Beg" supplies from family members or relatives. Borrow money. You can repay people later when your business booms!
* Join an on-line or in-person support group for feedback and encouragement. Consult local business owners, friends, and family for advice.

* Join Junior Achievement (www.ja.org). Check out chat-rooms or bulletin boards at Web sites such as www.YoungBiz.com; ideacafe.com; TheMint.com; and Black Enterprise for Teens (blackenterprise.com).

* Consider enrolling in summer programs that focus on business skills, such as summer camps run by 4-H councils and YWCAs or YMCAs. The NAACP also offers summer programs, as do Boys and Girls Clubs, Scouts, the Small Business Development Center, and some universities and colleges. After attending EntrePrep, a summer camp program offered by the Kauffman Center for Entrepreneurial Leadership (www.emkf.org), Ephren Taylor and Michael Stahl launched their business, careers4teens.com. "Building your own business is an adventure and a lot more fun than working nine to five in a cubicle," says Taylor.

Take advantage of any available high school business programs. At Johnson County High School in Tennessee, students run a fish farm, for example. At Flagstaff High School in Arizona, students run a restaurant.

A Gutsy Challenge

Whether you tough it out alone or take advantage of programs and resources, creating your own business is challenging. Being your own boss takes guts--it's not for everyone. But for the right people, it's a rewarding adventure.

Christopher Short: Neighborhood Newsletters

At age 9, Christopher Short of Fairfax, Virginia, got an idea one day when he was watching "Mr. Belvedere" on TV. He decided to imitate "Welsey's" idea for starting his own yard maintenance business.

Three years later, Short was still mowing lawns, but in Cave Creek, Arizona. The eighth grader also cleaned pools. But after his grandmother showed him a community flyer, Short got another idea. "I figured, why not get other people to pay for my advertising," says Short. He did this by signing up 12 local advertisers. In November, 1995, Short, age 13, designed, printed, and distributed 1,000 copies of the "Rancho Review" to homes in his neighborhood. The newsletter became so profitable that Short gave up his lawn and pool business and worked on the newsletter part-time while in high school.

Are You Entrepreneurial?

Take this self-quiz and find out if you have what it takes to run a small business. In the blanks provided, write a Y for Yes or N for No.

__1. Do you like to compete with others?

__2. Do you like coping with challenges and problems?

__3. Do you consider yourself a leader?

__4. Do you keep trying even when things aren't going just right?

__5. Do you set and achieve goals?

__6. Do you like the idea of flexible hours rather than set work times?

__7. Are you good at organizing your workload?

__8. Are you bored with your current volunteer, part-time, or summer job?

__9. Do you come up with creative ideas?

__10. Do you like to have the responsibility for "calling the shots"?

__11. Do you like living with constant change
__12. Can you cope with the possibility of not receiving a steady paycheck?

__13. Can you handle owing others money?

Add up the numbers of Yes responses you wrote down.

1-3 Back away from being a boss.

4-6 Think twice before starting a business.

7-9 You may have an entrepreneurial streak.

10-12 You're a natural "biz kid."

COPYRIGHT 2000 Weekly Reader Corp.
COPYRIGHT 2001 Gale Group
Re: Starting a Business (For The Entrepreneurs) by plawson(m): 1:10am On Jan 16, 2009
can one cash the money
here in Nigeria? it is not
just to type and type. ok?
Re: Starting a Business (For The Entrepreneurs) by plawson(m): 1:24am On Jan 16, 2009
while joftech may be right, kazey is also right.

Entrepreneurship isnt dependant on education
but here in Nigeria you need that certificate to
cross some hurdles. even the CAC will not allow
you register your business in specialize fields
unless you are a grad in that area. YOU SEE!

Anyway, it all depends. anyway -money can still
come to anyone if they work hard. cheers.
Re: Starting a Business (For The Entrepreneurs) by FundCITY: 2:29pm On Jan 16, 2009
hi dear,

If you have a business idea, and plan to start a business I believe that this is your opportunity to get N6.2 million [$50, 000] free grant from Ashoka's ChangeMakers.

Ashoka Foundation [through its ChangeMakers subsidiary] in collaboration with WeMedia.com are searching for the best new ideas for inspiring a better world through media and technology.

There are 2 categories in the initiative for which you can submit your business plan/idea. [1] Not-for profit ideas. [2] For-profit ideas. The best business plan in each category will receive $25, 000 each.

Its a global request for proposal [RFP] and so far, 78 ENTRIES from 23 countries have been submitted including 3 submission from Nigeria. Submit your business plan plan proposal to them through the website dedicated to the initiative, http://www.changemakers.net/en-us/node/14248/view

Ashoka is a reputable funding agency that has been in operation in the past 26 years. The have funded social entrepreneurs in more than 80 countries around the world. You can count on them to deliver.

Regards,
FundCITY Team,
+234(0)703 6722 864
http://www.dafeassociates.com/news

How would you like to receive regular, up-to-the-minute information on local, international foundations and funding agencies that are eagerly waiting to support your business idea or community project plans with grants of up to N2 million or more?

Fund CITY, an e- publication of IDEAS Point Foundation gives you insider’s information on who these foundations are; how much each has available for funding and how to contact them here in Nigeria.

We have a growing database of over 80 Foundations and Grant-giving Trusts, which will give out more than N1 billion as grants to entrepreneurs and organizations in 2009. Every week in 2009, we will offer you valuable insights some of these funding agencies in our
FundCITY e-newsletter.

Your subscription of $27 [N3,600] entitles you to 52 editions of our FundCITY e-Newsletter.

Learn more at our website http://www.dafeassociates.com/news
Re: Starting a Business (For The Entrepreneurs) by stnonymus(m): 11:44pm On Jan 18, 2009
If you are looking for a practical low capital homebased business then visit: http://www./extraincome.htm
Re: Starting a Business (For The Entrepreneurs) by Jacosky(m): 1:42am On Jan 20, 2009
Wow! I must say that I am really glad I bumped into this thread because I am right in the middle of the scenario.

I must tell you, being an entrepreneur is not an easy task - but it has a lot of advantages compared to being an employee.
One of the things which I know I enjoy as being an entrepreneur is, "being in control of my time".

I think I would have to visit this thread much often so I can encourage fellow entrepreneurs like me.

I own one of the first music schools down here in Enugu and the school's niche is just children. We train in instruments like the keyboard, guitar, drums, recorder and dance. We'll extend our services to other instruments over time.

I run 2 businesses - online and offline.

I run the music school offline and do my blogging and surveys online.

I have learnt a few things over time and they include;
1. You don't need money to start a business, what you need is a workable business plan.
2. You need to learn to develope good relationships
3. Be sure you know what you want and go for it - just to mention but a few that's just crossed my mind at the moment.

It might interest you to know that I started my business with N0.00 but a good relationship. Now my business is less than a year old and is worth over N100, 000. I currently have an 8 staff base.
It might also interest you to know that I am still in school (2nd level Engineering). This is just to prove to anyone that your only excuse to making it here in the country is you - there is money everywhere, all you need is be creative and think.

Now I got to stop at this point, but before I go, please download this free ebook I put up which any determined entrepreneur can use to start and generate some income online.

I would recommend that you give out this ebook to your friends too as it will benefit them too.

Re: Starting a Business (For The Entrepreneurs) by Goodnews77: 1:46am On Jan 20, 2009
The major problem with starting a business is finance and marketing. There may be a solution however, I just came across this website on the net where this online multi-millionaire is teaching exactly what he does to make his money through online video tutorials . It is not a get rich quick scheme you need to do some work. However the set up cost is minimal, if you have internet access and 1-2 hours when you are free or relatively idle every day then you too can become an internet millionaire in about one year. Can you believe this? I am thinking about joining today! Do you want to join with me? Here is the website! http://www.giveyourselfcreditnow.com
Re: Starting a Business (For The Entrepreneurs) by muyex1(m): 12:05pm On Jan 20, 2009
i will be glad if you can advise on what to do, i need capital to start my business, i have try every way i could, i even bought ebook that ways advertise on SDE on how to get loan but all prove abortive
Re: Starting a Business (For The Entrepreneurs) by ceebayjo(m): 11:19pm On Jan 22, 2009
Hmmh! Just like Nigerian who lives abroad would tell you to remain in your country and make life worth living for yourself. My advice is this: starting a business can be a good idea, but it isn't for everyone. We can't all be a doctor, lawyer, mechanic, civil servant, political office holder and the like. Therefore, anyone considering to start a business must have a primary reason for wanting to do so, and must be ready to face all its realities, challenges, problems, set backs and, Of course, success and achievements.
I'm not in any way trying to dissuade aspiring entrepreneurs, but put it at the back of your mind that business is not a bed of roses. For me, i have always wanted to work for myself while i was much younger. I wanted to be my own boss. So the idea of owning a business didnt come as a result of a loss of job, or something. I needed to earn an income from my passion.
Today, i own a marketing advisory and implementation firm, where i consult for small businesses who needs publicity and promotion for their products and services. I offer business writing services; inspire aspiring and emerging entrepreneurs whether invited as a guest speaker or personally.
It hasn't been as easy as most people would think, but i go on with the belief that Rome wasnt built in a day. Today's leading business gurus started with an idea, and today are achievers.
Are you still willing to own a business? Above all, you need passion to remain there when the winds blow heavily. You need a zeal for seeking knowledge and vital information related to your area of specialty. (I spend an average of N150 every day to browse the internet for fresh ideas. You wont be surprised to know that i sent this post from my web-enabled NOKIA 2626 phone.) Attend serminas, conferences and workshops, especially when you feel they are worth it. For instance, I attended a FATE FOUNDATION training workshop on Marketing Strategies last year November, 2008; and i must confess, i haven't recovered from that experience. You get chances to network pple
Re: Starting a Business (For The Entrepreneurs) by ceebayjo(m): 10:10am On Jan 23, 2009
There are many businesses you can start for as low of N20,000. Very soon a write up on that will be posted on my blog at www.rulingideas..com. Are you thinking of organizing a business serminar, conference, workshop, or an entrepreneurial program for the youth? You may invite me as a guest or keynote speaker, or facilitator. Reach me via phone 08055981421 or email: classic.bayjo@gmail.com
Re: Starting a Business (For The Entrepreneurs) by teemy(m): 10:36am On Jan 23, 2009
What indeed is a business?

A money making venture?
A daily report-to-work scheme where we must work ourselves and employee tire?

Just a little tip from my area of view here.

Form my book Business As A Global Concept (yet to even write the first sentence  wink), every one in existence is a business person. With what we do in our daily lives for a reward.

Reward? that thing for which we all hope to obtain in return for whatsoever effort we have undertaken.

Example 1
The crying baby: Seeks for attention, cuddling or breast feeding has to sell its unwanted though effective service; crying

Example 2
The loverboy: Places a picture of the girlfriend and lies back down on his hostel bed at just the exact moment when he knows she is to walk in. His goods; a sence of emotional affection so as to increase his deposits in her emotional trust bank (EMT).

Example 3
THe love crazed lover: Must get his goods well packaged out a throng of other competitors (suitors and admirers) to make the sale (get the girl)

Example 4
The war general: Who on the battlefield must deliver his package of death to his oponents so as to ensure 'peace' and victory as well as dominion to his home country.

Example 5
The politician/public orator/contestant: A bout of promises in goods which may or may not be later found not up to standard in exchange for a sale of votes.

Example 6
The clergyman: Preaches for the health and souls of men.

On and on goes the list as we all sell even in communication for the attention of others, physical goods as well as many other examples as we see in our every day lives.

Each of these 'businesses' as we all know have their own difficulties but we conquer them a step at a time to attain what we are today.

To them do we say 'no' and avoid the risks and be a nobody or damn the obstacles that yet remain in moving our 'businesses' to greater heights.

Gentlemen and ladies, the choice I leave to you.  smiley
Re: Starting a Business (For The Entrepreneurs) by asake2: 10:53am On Jan 23, 2009
HELLO, MY FELLOW NIGERIAN'S THIS AN OPPORTUNITY THAT WILL LIGHT YOUR WAY FOR JUST DON'T HINDER YOUR SELF BY CALL THIS NUMBER 08073710326 TO GET YOURSELF VISIT UNITED STATE OF AMERICA BY GETTING AN INVITATION FOR JUST 5K AND IT REAL OK OR VISIT OUR OFFICE AT NO 73, LAGOS CHALLENGE ROAD, IDI-ODO, IBADAN. THE OPEN FROM NOW TILL FEB'09.
Re: Starting a Business (For The Entrepreneurs) by Tiemo(m): 6:41pm On Jan 23, 2009
BEGIN TO PROFIT NOW AS AN ENTREPRENEUR

How to become 100,000 naira richer in 40 days, increase six figures by each month

Guaranteed!

For my motivated people who haven't made a single kobo online to help them with my range of helpful materials and articles.

I Do not advocate a Get rich quick syndrome, but if you follow my step by step guide you are sure of making at least above 60,000 naira monthly

Will you like a free information on how to make money legitimately on the internet send a mail to me ibizoffice@aol.com
Re: Starting a Business (For The Entrepreneurs) by Epi: 12:36am On Jan 24, 2009
When starting your own business it is imperative for you to know your biggest competitor. If you are your biggest competitor, ask yourself how and why you are in your own way. If you are smart enough to figure that out then you may become successful as you already know you’ll be one day

One love
Re: Starting a Business (For The Entrepreneurs) by teemy(m): 8:13pm On Jan 24, 2009
epi:

When starting your own business it is imperative for you to know your biggest competitor. If you are your biggest competitor, ask yourself how and why you are in your own way. If you are smart enough to figure that out then you may become successful as you already know you’ll be one day

One love

I do feel that being your own competitor has its own interesting advantages. Being able to compete against yourself helps you deter other willing 'investors' in the same field from coming in as they might see the market to be saturated as such.

Example: Coca cola, fanta and sprite all bring proceeds to the same company.

Whether coke is doing better than fanta in sales or vise versa, Coca cola Bottling Co. Ltd make all the dough.

However this is only possible with the availability of enough staff and resources.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Online Shop, Kasuwa Rebrands To Jumia / Apple Paid Out Around $60 Billion To App Store Developers In 2021 / World Bank Agrees To Give Nigeria $2.5bn Loan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 121
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.