Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,625 members, 7,770,671 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 12:46 PM

Android, Anyone? Part II - Phones (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Android, Anyone? Part II (959251 Views)

Where Can I Get The Oneplus One Android. Anyone? / Icmp Isssh Android Anyone droid vpn + bis? / Android, Anyone? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (601) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by BlackBaron: 7:35pm On Jul 10, 2012
notababa:

Google's very poor attempt at an Apple TV killer. Big fan of the big G but Nexus Q is just too limited. Can't stream Hulu/Netflix. Only YouTube/Google Play videos

Don't even call it an Apple killer. Least ATV has hdmi, optical and other ports. Flash xbmc on that and you got one heck of a HTPC. At twice the price of Apple TV, it is such a fail(?)
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by mashnino(m): 12:45am On Jul 11, 2012
Hello guys,

I am thinking of buying a new android device (samsung galaxy s3) i am a new android user actually so please tell me what to watch out for and what i should as soon as i switch on the phone cos i heard the thing can fit to suck all the credit away in a second(due to some updating stuff). so please how can i jump away from dis scenario and again can i use black berry subscription for it(i am using mtn). Thanks. will be waiting for a reply
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by na2day(m): 4:35am On Jul 11, 2012
mashnino: Hello guys,

I am thinking of buying a new android device (samsung galaxy s3) i am a new android user actually so please tell me what to watch out for and what i should as soon as i switch on the phone cos i heard the thing can fit to suck all the credit away in a second(due to some updating stuff). so please how can i jump away from dis scenario and again can i use black berry subscription for it(i am using mtn). Thanks. will be waiting for a reply
Use another phone to get a mobile data plan on ur sim card!
Just make sure you buy at least 50mb.
slot the sim into ur new baby, sign in or create new account with gmail and watch it update ur google contacts etc.
I don't have sg3, but i believe all android phone are basically the same in setting up!
And buy more data if you want to download apps or else ur credit will vanish!
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by SAFO(m): 4:54am On Jul 11, 2012
calid16: Some of these games come in unbelievable sizes, hoooooow am I going to go about downloading 1.7gb data files for NOVA 3 ? I hope the ish will be worth it. undecided undecided

Of all the games I would say that one is worth the hassle, especially if you decide to use a PS3 controller synced with the sixaxis app. Any other game I'd probably tell you don't waste your time.
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by na2day(m): 5:32am On Jul 11, 2012
BlackBaron: You guys seen the latest android project called 'Ouya' ?

Meant to be an ambitious new game console for the TV, powered by Android. Currently on Kickstarter.com, its raking in an astonishing $3000 a minute!
Is tis the next Big Thing ?

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ouya/ouya-a-new-kind-of-video-game-console

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/appsblog/2012/jul/10/ouya-android-games-console-kickstarter

Yes, i believe its the next logical step, bringing all those tablets and mobile games to the tv,
i tried to join the band wagon too at $99, but all the slots had been taken, apart from the $1000+
Anyways, waiting to buy when it hits the market!
OUYA! love the name sha! very catchy!
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by walcolm(m): 7:01am On Jul 11, 2012
mashnino: Hello guys,

i have the GS3 and its my first android too. it is the best android device out there for now and a worthy introduction to the android world.

50MB of data will not even scratch it and it uses micro-sim. i bought mine outside the country but i hear SLOT in lagos will help u cut your normal sim into mirco-sim size to fit into the GS3. 1GB of data as a minimum if you are not a heavy user is your best bet
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by Dynamiceagle(f): 7:14am On Jul 11, 2012
I need a phone, who is lead should contact me. Thanks
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by balogunsam(m): 8:40am On Jul 11, 2012
Lawalmd: omo i had a very bad experience yesterday while upgrading my captivate rom, came across this rom on xda forum and decided to give it a trial then suddenly after the upgrade my phone started requesting for network unlock code omo it was not a funny thing at all o while all my files are back at home on my hard disk I had to go through the day without my phone so on getting home did a reinstall of the ics rom which didn't solve the problem then I did an official gb install and whoola I had my phone back online so from there on I installed my remics rom and all thing have been ok just that my cwd backup has been acting up, it won't restore data which results in a boot loop so I had to stick to my titanium backup

wow,nawah o...u dey make me fear ooo. i ordered a captivate and it should be here next week..all this unlock thing dey fear me o. pls what custom rom do u use now and whats d ba3 life lik with it?
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by balogunsam(m): 8:49am On Jul 11, 2012
Dynamiceagle: I need a phone, who is lead should contact me. Thanks

i have a lg optimus pro for sale. i bought it 2 months ago and its in a pristine state. i still have the pack,accessories and all. reason for selling is that i upgraded to galaxy captivate though its not here yet. the lg runs android 2.3.5 and it is rooted. here is the link, i included some photos there.

https://www.nairaland.com/980712/2-months-used-android-lg#11393124
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by Lawalmd(m): 10:20am On Jul 11, 2012
balogunsam:

wow,nawah o...u dey make me fear ooo. i ordered a captivate and it should be here next week..all this unlock thing dey fear me o. pls what custom rom do u use now and whats d ba3 life lik with it?
Well if you are not a ROM upgrade freak like me you should not have any problem once you've unlock it but if you are the type that likes testing roms alot I would advice you have the official rom that comes with the phone as a backup so if anything vows wrong you can always flash back from my own point of view I've tried cm9 and it's ok but it's too plain as in it comes with only custom apps but the best is remics rom it has alot of useful apps that comes with the rom
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by mashnino(m): 11:09am On Jul 11, 2012
walcolm:

i have the GS3 and its my first android too. it is the best android device out there for now and a worthy introduction to the android world.

50MB of data will not even scratch it and it uses micro-sim. i bought mine outside the country but i hear SLOT in lagos will help u cut your normal sim into mirco-sim size to fit into the GS3. 1GB of data as a minimum if you are not a heavy user is your best bet

aaawww!!!!

where would i get a sim cutter to cut my sim..

i am located in zaria and that will be very hard...

can i do ther sim cutting myself
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by balogunsam(m): 1:10pm On Jul 11, 2012
Lawalmd:
Well if you are not a ROM upgrade freak like me you should not have any problem once you've unlock it but if you are the type that likes testing roms alot I would advice you have the official rom that comes with the phone as a backup so if anything vows wrong you can always flash back from my own point of view I've tried cm9 and it's ok but it's too plain as in it comes with only custom apps but the best is remics rom it has alot of useful apps that comes with the rom

ook thanks for the info. how can i get the stock rom for the device. is it the same for all captivate fones? i believe i should get yhe remics rom from xda dev. all in all,whats your rating of the captivateb
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by Lawalmd(m): 1:54pm On Jul 11, 2012
Well from my experience I would say it's a good for but there are some ugly side to it that you will have to live with like the battery does not last long and it doesn't multi task to my standard and no flash for the camera apart from those few points it's a good phone and it comes in two variants i896 and i897 although they both use the same rom and for the roms all you need is there at xda forum just go to captivate section and help ya self
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by Elthugnificent(m): 4:24pm On Jul 11, 2012
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by Wandeayo(m): 6:48pm On Jul 11, 2012
pls i need sony ericsson xperia s or sony ericsson xperia p...i ll be glad to know the price of the phones... i wont mind to buy fairly used if there is any one for sale...
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by engrhamid(m): 10:22pm On Jul 11, 2012
El thugnificent: Just comfirm about galaxy s 2 brand new,i was told its 13k,i thought it too good to the true,anybody in the house wit an idea how much its been sold.thanks in advance
13k? U don't even need to ask anyone if it is true or not.
Even if u r told 60k, you should know its false
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by Nobody: 10:23pm On Jul 11, 2012
El thugnificent: Just comfirm about galaxy s 2 brand new,i was told its 13k,i thought it too good to the true,anybody in the house wit an idea how much its been sold.thanks in advance

66k thereabout
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by 3kay945(m): 10:41pm On Jul 11, 2012
Wandeayo: pls i need sony ericsson xperia s or sony ericsson xperia p...i ll be glad to know the price of the phones... i wont mind to buy fairly used if there is any one for sale...
I use one, you will enjoy it, the camera is awesome.
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by BlackBaron: 10:50pm On Jul 11, 2012
na2day!:

Yes, i believe its the next logical step, bringing all those tablets and mobile games to the tv,
i tried to join the band wagon too at $99, but all the slots had been taken, apart from the $1000+
Anyways, waiting to buy when it hits the market!
OUYA! love the name sha! very catchy!
It'll be interesting to see what happens afterwards. Would be cool to run emulators on this. NDS would be cool cheesy
Bit surprised by the response though 2 days and almost $3.5million with 28 days to go...
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by SAFO(m): 8:07am On Jul 12, 2012
OUYA, has bust written all over it. The changing landscape of hardware upgrades is just too quick with Android. By the time this thing releases the specs would have been on the verge of extinction. Furthermore, games are not designed for TV displays and there's really no incentive for developers to make stand alone games for OUYA.

It sounds good in theory but I just don't see people rushing out to buy a cheap gaming console that might be obsolete in 6 mths. If I want to game on my tv, that's what I have an xbox for.
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by edoyad(m): 8:47am On Jul 12, 2012
BlackBaron: You guys seen the latest android project called 'Ouya' ?

Meant to be an ambitious new game console for the TV, powered by Android. Currently on Kickstarter.com, its raking in an astonishing $3000 a minute!
Is tis the next Big Thing ?

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ouya/ouya-a-new-kind-of-video-game-console

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/appsblog/2012/jul/10/ouya-android-games-console-kickstarter

I‘m totally in support of this . To think I was just saying I needed a play station just a few days ago. It makes so much sense, Games like Shadow Gun, NOVA and MC3 deserve to be on Big Screens. Can't wait
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by SAFO(m): 9:59am On Jul 12, 2012
edoyad:

I‘m totally in support of this . To think I was just saying I needed a play station just a few days ago. It makes so much sense, Games like Shadow Gun, NOVA and MC3 deserve to be on Big Screens. Can't wait

Do you really think those games can compete with the likes of Modern Warfare 3, Black Ops and Battlefield 3 on the big screen?

If you wanted to, all you need now is a Bluetooth controller (ps3) and an HDMI/MHL cord and you can play those games on the big screen for a whole lot less cheaper than the OUYA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Gq_ZU9p5Nk&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by edoyad(m): 12:10pm On Jul 12, 2012
SAFO:

Do you really think those games can compete with the likes of Modern Warfare 3, Black Ops and Battlefield 3 on the big screen?

If you wanted to, all you need now is a Bluetooth controller (ps3) and an HDMI/MHL cord and you can play those games on the big screen for a whole lot less cheaper than the OUYA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Gq_ZU9p5Nk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Yes they can Compete with a few upgrades. You're saying exactly what many were saying when Google came out with Android OS. I bet you that if they go on with this, SONY and Microsoft will be struggling to keep up in less than two years from take off date. There are many brilliant developers who will use the opportunity to introduce Fantastic Material. Just read the comments
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by 4llerbuntu(m): 12:48pm On Jul 12, 2012
Just thought id share this information.

as i know most of us are always whining about the battery life, every little counts.

one of the reasons why the battery dies so quick is the radio, especially on 3G mode like most phones anyway (3G consumes more juice), but often overlooked is the issue of signal strength!!

the lower the network signal you are connected to is, the more effort your phone tries to stay connected. its particularly worse when there is no signal and the phone keeps on trying to search and connect to a network.

therefore, pls take into consideration also before whining about your phone battery, the signal level of your environment.
when in buildings or areas with low or bad reception, note that your battery is dying.

what you can do in this situations is to change to GSM mode only, or better still switch off data completely, leaving just the gsm network on.

if there is no service at all, it is better you put your phone in airplane mode. . . . . . . there is no point letting it continually search for networks.

this also applies to wifi too btw.

and if you permanently reside in a place of bad reception, pls understand that it also contributes to your bad battery life. STOP WHINING
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by 4llerbuntu(m): 12:58pm On Jul 12, 2012
SAFO: OUYA, has bust written all over it. The changing landscape of hardware upgrades is just too quick with Android. By the time this thing releases the specs would have been on the verge of extinction. Furthermore, games are not designed for TV displays and there's really no incentive for developers to make stand alone games for OUYA.

It sounds good in theory but I just don't see people rushing out to buy a cheap gaming console that might be obsolete in 6 mths. If I want to game on my tv, that's what I have an xbox for.

Well that was my thought too at the onset. but upon considering it for a while i realised

the device is NOT designed to rival the consoles. matter of fact, by next year the consoles will get new releases which will even nearly double the present capacity and abilities. so obviously no one can begin to think this will rival them.

This device is open source. consider the possibilities endless

There is no rule that states that this device will not have updated specs in the future, even at launch.

Kickstarter is a way to raise funds, not the final determinant of what the product will be.

the Apps though may be simple, but never underestimate the value of any software by its size, cost or simplicity. angry birds has more players than MW3 and very likely makes more money. Minecraft does not hold a candle to COD, but its more popular
Brick game got nothing on gameboy really, but need i say more? grin grin

we do not know to what extent this device will be taken by independent developers. never underestimate what they can achieve.

it is cheap.

apps will mostly be free. (NOTHING BEATS FREE) grin grin grin

This is kinda like when android was going to be launched by google. it didnt seem like such a hot idea.........

it is gonna be a much better and easier choice instead of splurging thousands on big consoles

Windows V Linux........ discuss.

bottom line is, this thing is not going anywhere soon. the worlds first opensource video game console? hell no

1 Like

Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by Deboyesmk(m): 3:49pm On Jul 12, 2012
Hello guys. I bought an Archos 80 g9 some three months ago. But now I can't use the device. The screen does not respond to my touch or click, so it hangs. Can you help pls?
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by tiarabubu: 1:04pm On Jul 13, 2012
Ladies and Guys,

please does anyone know when the official Ice Cream Sandwich release for galaxy s2 will be out for Nigeria?

thanks
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by walcolm(m): 2:18pm On Jul 13, 2012
tiarabubu: Ladies and Guys,

please does anyone know when the official Ice Cream Sandwich release for galaxy s2 will be out for Nigeria?

thanks

there's nothing like official release for Nigeria...Nigeria is considered international so you should get your update if it has started rolling out from samsung
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by 4llerbuntu(m): 2:22pm On Jul 13, 2012
ur on a long thing.

get the image for it from Samsung website or if you have very very good internet, use KIES to update.

im sure it will be better u do it offline. whether stock or custom Rom.

______-_________

on to other tinz im finding it difficult to wrap my head around this output. th disparity is WOW!!! WHAT THE?!?'#?,.

Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by Wandeayo(m): 4:01pm On Jul 13, 2012
3kay945:
I use one, you will enjoy it, the camera is awesome.

which one out of the two ericsson; and how much is it?
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by blackweaver(m): 5:22pm On Jul 13, 2012

even the cheapest android device around doesn't cost 13k talkless of the galaxy s2. You can't even get a decent 2nd-hand galaxy s2 for 15k (unless it's from a friend who's virtually dashing you)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (601) (Reply)

Infinix Hot Note X551 – Jim’s BIG Thing / How To Register A New 2go Account On 2go Chat Messenger / Blackberry 10 Devices Home: Z10, Q10 Etc

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.