Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,453 members, 7,770,125 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 04:41 AM

Android, Anyone? Part II - Phones (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Android, Anyone? Part II (959203 Views)

Where Can I Get The Oneplus One Android. Anyone? / Icmp Isssh Android Anyone droid vpn + bis? / Android, Anyone? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (601) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by Teaser4(m): 8:06pm On Jul 23, 2012
more

Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by BlackBaron: 10:10pm On Jul 23, 2012
Dead Trigger is now free!

Citing unbelievably high rates of piracy on android, the impressive zombie shooter has now being made available for all

[size=5pt]Meanwhile I don repent since o[/size] grin
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by 3kay945(m): 10:29pm On Jul 23, 2012
Teaser4: gurus......i wana root my lovely Samsung_galaxy_y_pro_duos......i av downloaded the rootin app........but am scared....pls advice

we are on the same page. me self want root my Xperia neo. am scared too and don't even know where to start.
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by KayDee4: 5:47am On Jul 24, 2012
[size=13pt]Is there anyone in the house who makes phone calls with the Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 P7300 (SIM enabed) ? [/size]
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by Teaser4(m): 6:35am On Jul 24, 2012
3kay945:

we are on the same page. me self want root my Xperia neo. am scared too and don't even know where to start.
bro kay just leave it,else you see sm1 to do it for u... hows the perfomance of ur xperia neo..i am planning to buy it by december.... Good morning
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by ozor1: 7:09am On Jul 24, 2012
guys between htc sensation and galaxy s2 which is better?
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by Teaser4(m): 8:04am On Jul 24, 2012
ozor1 pls use google.....to find out more info
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by Teaser4(m): 8:05am On Jul 24, 2012
add me on Liveprofile.......this is my pin LPM0MZ9W
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by engrhamid(m): 8:21am On Jul 24, 2012
ozor1: guys between htc sensation and galaxy s2 which is better?
S2
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by ozor1: 8:49am On Jul 24, 2012
engrhamid:
S2
thanks bro..buh price wise sensation offers Wat sgs2 offer at a cheaper rate..only d absence of internal memory..
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by ozor1: 8:53am On Jul 24, 2012
Teaser4: ozor1 pls use google.....to find out more info
if u use google its juss gonna du a review for u
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by IgweAni: 11:32am On Jul 24, 2012
Pls house, whats the best anti virus for Samsung galaxy S3?
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by KazeKage1: 11:47am On Jul 24, 2012
Wow! Took me sometime to find this thread angry
Ok guys, i need your help desperately, my wifi at work uses a proxy with authentication(username and password,which i know). I've tried to use Autoproxy(which worked when there was no authentication) but that hasn't worked for me sad.

Thanks in anticipation

1 Like

Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by 3kay945(m): 12:50pm On Jul 24, 2012
Teaser4: bro kay just leave it,else you see sm1 to do it for u... hows the perfomance of ur xperia neo..i am planning to buy it by december.... Good morning
it's too good, have been enjoying every bits of it. the camera picture and the bravia engine video is best to none, atleast to the best of my knowledge. I intend to root just to have full assess to the RAM.
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by Teaser4(m): 4:35pm On Jul 24, 2012
3kay945:
it's too good, have been enjoying every bits of it. the camera picture and the bravia engine video is best to none, atleast to the best of my knowledge. I intend to root just to have full assess to the RAM.
ok bro.....give it to an android guru to do for you
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by 4llerbuntu(m): 5:26pm On Jul 24, 2012
A high battery drain is often a limiting factor for a great user experience.

With BetterBatteryStats you can analyse the behavior of your phone, find applications causing the phone to drain battery while it is supposed to be asleep and measure the effect of corrective actions:

- Spot drainers based on detailed information about the root cause
- Use the online Knowledge-Base to find how to reduce or remove the wakelocks
- measure the effect of actions to reduce drain
- detect changes in the awake/sleep profile and quickly find the causes (rogue apps)

In other words BetterBatteryStats helps you to get the best out of your Android smartphone.

User Reviews
Gives you detailed information on whats going on in the background. Exactly what I needed to find and get rid of the application which is draining the battery unnecessarily, instead of using power saving apps. Purchasing this app just to support the developer.

I've been loosing around 15% of my battery life with my phone in my pocket supposedly doing nothing. I charged my phone, unplugged it and let better battery watch what was going on. An hour later I discovered that my phone was only in deep sleep 60% of the time, mostly because MLB At Bat was waking my phone up to check scores all the time. Killed that app and I've got my phone up to around 95% deep sleep time and around 5% of the battery used per hour in idle. All in a few hours. Thanks Better Battery. Warning. The app and manual are both full of serious "Geekspeak". It is not friendly to "Normals". If you are not a geek get a friend to help you figure out this app. Charge your phone, let Better Battery do it's thing for a few hours, then go to your friend and let your friend figure out the results of your test.

Helped me figure out that a wakelock called fuel_alerted was keeping my phone from deep sleep. Impossible to find without this, googled it and i found out that i had to physically pull out my battery and put it back in. That simple! Now phone lasts waaaaaay longer! P.s. Add that to the knowledge base for the program. Other people had this problem as well. Quick fix but in the meantime no deepsleep for ur phone which will crush ur battery even if u arent using the phone. Money well spent.
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by 4llerbuntu(m): 8:09am On Jul 25, 2012
Using undocumented APIcalls to the batteryinfo service, BetterBatteryStats is able to monitor process stats, network usage, and wakelock stats on your Android 2.2- or 2.3-equipped device.

http://www.xda-developers.com/android/tune-your-androids-battery-life-with-betterbatterystats/

Wakelocks statistics are good indicators if the battery drain is high when the phone is off and supposed to sleep. Android Froyo provided battery history to spare parts and BetterBatteryStats [APP] adds battery history back to Gingerbread.

A good place to start is to unplug your phone and switch the screen off for a few hours. Then look at Better Battery Stats "Since unplugged" and see what apps/processes have prevented the phone from sleeping. Don't go through the whole list, check the top1-2 first and iterate till there are no values through the roof.
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by 4llerbuntu(m): 8:12am On Jul 25, 2012
What is a Wakelock?
A wakelock is a software method for applications to control the power state of your device. The purpose of a wakelock is in its name, to lock your device in an awake state keeping the CPU running and preventing it from entering Deep Sleep (Think of a music app or video player). A wakelock can also cause your device to turn on (think syncs or notifications).

A poorly coded application can acquire a wakelock and not release it, causing your device to remain on.

A partial wakelock means the CPU is ON, but the screen is OFF.
A full wakelock means the CPU and Screen are ON. (we don't really need to worry about this)
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by 4llerbuntu(m): 8:12am On Jul 25, 2012
How to help:

Install BetterBatteryStats which will show you what the wakelocks are on your device.
If you don't know what a specific wakelock is doing. Google it. Don't just google the wakelock name verbatim. Use part of it. They are usually logically named. But most often they are shortened or turned into acronyms (there are so many in IT) which makes them cyptic.

Kernel wakelocks are low level/hardware wakelocks from the kernel. We can only reduce these by modifying the kernel or reducing the usage of a certain feature of the kernel. By researching these we can improve the battery consumption and performance of the Kernel.

Partial wakelocks are wakelocks from apps. These can be reduced by uninstalling or disabling features in software. We can talk about those here too though it shouldn't be the focus as the answer will be "Uninstall/Disable feature X and talk to the app author". Preferably we should talk about partial wakelocks from Google services like maps and latitude.
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by 4llerbuntu(m): 8:18am On Jul 25, 2012
EXAMPLES

wlan_rx
is wireless LAN receive. Turn off wifi.

musb_autosuspend_wake_lock
im pretty sure is a kernel powermanagement method to turn off power to the micro usb port and have any attached devices be placed in a power suspend mode. Probably most useful for the USB OTG support on this port.

alarm_rtc

is Real-time clock alarm. It isn't the alarm to wake you up, tho it could be used by that. It's more like a scheduler on your phone, to make sure it is not sleeping when an application needs it. "AlarmManager is a universal process that MANY apps use to update time, push you notifications, etc. In most cases, it is a necessity; in other cases, you should really check it out and disable/uninstall things that have invoked it too much."

vbus_tuna_otg
sounds like virtual bus for USB OTG devices. According to Franco this wakelock occurs when your "device [is] attached to the USB." From this I would take it to mean that if your GNex is attached to a computer via USB you will see this wakelock.

mipi_link
stands for Mobile Industry Processor Interface but I am unsure of what this does specifically. From googling it it seems highly related to the cameras. Maybe its how we can see a live feed of the camera from the device.

more
https://github.com/asksven/BetterBatteryStats-Knowledge-Base/wiki/_pages
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by lynxnoon(m): 9:36am On Jul 25, 2012
niceone wink
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by 4llerbuntu(m): 9:42am On Jul 25, 2012
sysctl_tweaks and sysctl.conf tweaks

To make them work:
1. make a new file in /system/etc/init.d, name it sysctl_tweaks

2. make a new file in /system/etc, name it sysctl.conf

3. Paste the right code in the right file 

change permissions for owner to rw, rw,rw

[size=14pt]YOU CAN CREATE THE FILES ON PC FOR EASE. ON WINDOWS USE NOTEPAD++ ON LINUX, CARRY GO WITH ANY TEXT EDITOR[/size]

reboot and its active

1. sysctl_tweaks

code:

#!/system/bin/sh
# grep sysctl /etc/init.d/*
/etc/init.d/02vm:# Load /sys/etc/sysctl.conf
/etc/init.d/02vm:sysctl -p
Code:
#!/system/bin/sh
# grep sysctl /etc/init.d/*
/etc/init.d/02vm:# Load /sys/etc/sysctl.conf
/etc/init.d/02vm:sysctl -p

2. sysctl.conf
Code:

#sysctl.conf file

############################
# Battery life tweaks #
sysctl -w vm.dirty_writeback_centisecs=3000;
sysctl -w vm.dirty_expire_centisecs=500;

# kernel tweaks #
sysctl -w kernel.sched_features=15834233;
sysctl -w kernel.msgmni=1024;
sysctl -w kernel.msgmax=64000;
sysctl -w kernel.shmmax=268435456;
sysctl -w kernel.shmall=2097152;
sysctl -w kernel.sem="500 512000 100 2048";
sysctl -w kernel.hung_task_timeout_secs=0;
sysctl -w kernel.sched_latency_ns=18000000;
sysctl -w kernel.sched_compat_yield=1;
sysctl -w kernel.sched_shares_ratelimit=256000;
sysctl -w kernel.sched_child_runs_first=0;
sysctl -w kernel.threads-max=10000;
sysctl -w kernel.panic=30;
sysctl -w kernel.panic_on_oops=1;
sysctl -w kernel.sched_features=24189;
sysctl -w kernel.sched_min_granularity_ns=1500000;
sysctl -w kernel.sched_wakeup_granularity_ns=3000000;

# CPU tweaks #

# Queue size modifications
sysctl -w net.core.optmem_max=20480;
sysctl -w net.unix.max_dgram_qlen=50;

# Net Core Settings
# Location: /proc/sys/net/core
sysctl -w net.core.wmem_max=524288;
sysctl -w net.core.rmem_max=524288;
sysctl -w net.core.rmem_default=256960;
sysctl -w net.core.wmem_default=256960;

# VM & Filesystem tweaks #
sysctl -w fs.lease-break-time=10;
sysctl -w fs.file-max=65536;
sysctl -w vm.overcommit_memory=1;
sysctl -w vm.min_free_order_shift=4;
sysctl -w vm.block_dump=0;
sysctl -w vm.oom_dump_tasks=1;
sysctl -w vm.page-cluster=3;

# Net Speed tweaks #

# UnderUtilized Networking Tweaks below as recommended by avgjoemomma (from XDA)
sysctl -w net.ipv4.tcp_congestion_control=cubic;

# Hardening the TCP/IP stack to SYN attacks
sysctl -w net.ipv4.tcp_syncookies=1;
sysctl -w net.ipv4.conf.all.rp_filter=1;
sysctl -w net.ipv4.conf.default.rp_filter=1;
sysctl -w net.ipv4.tcp_synack_retries=2;
sysctl -w net.ipv4.tcp_syn_retries=2;
sysctl -w net.ipv4.tcp_max_syn_backlog=1024;
sysctl -w net.ipv4.tcp_max_tw_buckets=16384;
sysctl -w net.ipv4.icmp_echo_ignore_all=1;
sysctl -w net.ipv4.icmp_ignore_bogus_error_responses=1;
sysctl -w net.ipv4.tcp_no_metrics_save=1;
sysctl -w net.ipv4.tcp_fin_timeout=15;
sysctl -w net.ipv4.tcp_keepalive_time=1800;
sysctl -w net.ipv4.ip_forward=0;
sysctl -w net.ipv4.tcp_moderate_rcvbuf=1;
sysctl -w net.ipv4.route.flush=1;
sysctl -w net.ipv4.udp_rmem_min=6144;
sysctl -w net.ipv4.udp_wmem_min=6144;
sysctl -w net.ipv4.tcp_rfc1337=1;
sysctl -w net.ipv4.ip_no_pmtu_disc=0;
sysctl -w net.ipv4.tcp_ecn=0;
sysctl -w net.ipv4.tcp_sack=1;
sysctl -w net.ipv4.tcp_fack=1;

# Don't accept source routing
sysctl -w net.ipv4.conf.default.accept_source_route=0 ;
sysctl -w net.ipv4.conf.all.accept_source_route=0;

# Don't accept redirects
sysctl -w net.ipv4.conf.all.accept_redirects=0;
sysctl -w net.ipv4.conf.default.accept_redirects=0;
sysctl -w net.ipv4.conf.all.secure_redirects=0;
sysctl -w net.ipv4.conf.default.secure_redirects=0;

#!/system/bin/sh
# ========================================
# init.d script for KA Xperia SSpeed
# made by krabappel2548
# ========================================

SLEEP=120

if [ -e /data/.battery-calibrated ] ; then
exit 0
fi

(
while : ; do
LEVEL=$(cat /sys/class/power_supply/battery/capacity)
CUR=$(cat /sys/class/power_supply/battery/batt_current)
if [ "$LEVEL" == "100" ] && [ "$CUR" == "0" ] ; then
log -p i -t battery-calibration "*** LEVEL: $LEVEL CUR: $CUR***: calibrating..."
rm -f /data/system/batterystats.bin
touch /data/.battery-calibrated
exit 0
fi
# log -p i -t battery-calibration "*** LEVEL: $LEVEL CUR: $CUR ***: sleeping for $SLEEP s..."
sleep $SLEEP
done
) &

#Disable normalize sleeper
mount -t debugfs none /sys/kernel/debug
echo NO_NORMALIZED_SLEEPER > /sys/kernel/debug/sched_features

#battery tweaks (sleepers)
mount -t debugfs none /sys/kernel/debug
echo NO_NEW_FAIR_SLEEPERS > /sys/kernel/debug/sched_features;
echo NO_NORMALIZED_SLEEPERS > /sys/kernel/debug/sched_features;
umount /sys/kernel/debug

Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by 4llerbuntu(m): 9:54am On Jul 25, 2012
Please is there any bank in nigeria with a mobile banking application? for android preferably?
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by gyde(m): 10:15am On Jul 25, 2012
Have you tried the new Fifa 2012 on your android?,you shud,truly awesome graphics,although the data file is large(1.51gb)

Link for that and more

http://www.mobilephonetalk.com/showthread.php?112006-HD-Games-Collection-For-PowerVR-Phone-s-%28APK-SD-Data%29
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by 4llerbuntu(m): 10:19am On Jul 25, 2012
I have always wanted to be able to not only see emoji (iPhone emoticons) but also see other fonts and such that come up as square boxes on our androids

if u want this too

Download this: http:///44bjOm14

Use root explorer to go to the downloaded file, extract files from zip. copy the files in folder "Droid" and paste them in System/Fonts.

Reboot and your done!!
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by Leopantro: 10:40am On Jul 25, 2012
@4llerbuntu,I'm interested in the sysctl tweak but what does it do? that battery stat app is interesting, if you can understand it. meanwhile i just got final fantasy 3, the game is awesome.
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by Agent008(m): 12:03pm On Jul 25, 2012
Hi Folks,
I have been looking for a way to change the WinMo 6.1 on my Samsung I8000 (Omnia 2) to android (Froyo, Honeycomb or preferably ICS). Anyone know how i can achieve this without losing my phone data?
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by lynxnoon(m): 12:55pm On Jul 25, 2012
4llerbuntu: Please is there any bank in nigeria with a mobile banking application? for android preferably?
i think gtb offers something like dat but not sure its compatible with android fones . . .seems to be in java format; shd work but d layout may not be in tune with droids sha
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by walcolm(m): 1:01pm On Jul 25, 2012
lynxnoon:
i think gtb offers something like dat but not sure its compatible with android fones . . .seems to be in java format; shd work but d layout may not be in tune with droids sha

that GTB app is mainly for symbian phones. i never could get it to work on a BB and i'm not sure it will run on android.

FBN also has an app, you can check it out and see if it will work
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by walcolm(m): 1:03pm On Jul 25, 2012
Kay-Dee:
[size=13pt]Is there anyone in the house who makes phone calls with the Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 P7300 (SIM enabed) ? [/size]

i believe that tablet was designed to be able to make and receive calls like the 7inch version before it

you should see a phone icon on it if there's a sim card inserted. that will confirm to you it can make calls
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by malikalhaj: 3:20pm On Jul 25, 2012
Jellybean on S2... CM10

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (601) (Reply)

Infinix Hot Note X551 – Jim’s BIG Thing / How To Register A New 2go Account On 2go Chat Messenger / Blackberry 10 Devices Home: Z10, Q10 Etc

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.