Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,673 members, 7,813,243 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 09:24 AM

Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? - Business (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? (19645 Views)

12 Young Entrepreneurs Who Make Me Feel Optimistic About Nigeria's Future / What Is The Force That Keeps You Going As An Entrepreneur? / Nigerian Entrepreneurs Worth Admiring (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by t4thayour: 5:58pm On Jul 13, 2012
Having Graduated with a 4.37 CGPA, i had taught in a evening UME/WAEC classes, did INEC registration and some other jab to gather some pay before getting a small paid job about a year ago.
I had invested about 200k i was able to gather in a recharge card business (thanks to God & the advice of Skanas, when i needed idea about the biz)
Now, i am earning close to what i get in my paid job, my source of income doubling, and the company growing
The challenge and what has got me going: God and dedication! Since the business is still young, the nurturing stage has been very demanding. I have to take over from my sales attendant (immediately i get back from work for her to close) and keep my customers satisfied. That is no easy task for a day, i must say!
But i am loving it, cos i could look in the face of my boss recently and threaten him with resignation if he complains too much. (Na becoz i get where i fit fall back to oooooo!)
Guys had once complained why i was not throwing all the effizy with my pay during service and Inec registration, but now, i am happy i took the right stem.
...and in the words of Skanas, "I am having itchy hands" already. Want to go make some money, pls!

1 Like

Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by oiseworld: 6:03pm On Jul 13, 2012
interesting posts. I love all ur experiences, but has any tried enterpreneuship with innovation? Its one of the hardestthings to do. But the end is just too much. Am an innovator/enterprenuer and my products are all over the lagos market. Though very risky and hard to start, but much more rewarding. I beg all those enterpreneurs in the house not just to help them self with buying and selling, but help Nigeria with innovation and production. You would be surprised how far you'll go. Its tooooo rewarding.
Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by t4thayour: 6:03pm On Jul 13, 2012
Skanas: my bro wassup,how's ur biz goin?Bin lookin out for u hia

Great, my bro! just trying to beat a funny competitor! Will buzz u one of these days. I already have ur no. Thanks man!
Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by mrperfect(m): 6:16pm On Jul 13, 2012
Great dream, freedom and contribution
Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by 2dmax(m): 6:38pm On Jul 13, 2012
Encouraging stuff.
Lemme add mine tho.
Dropped off secondary sch (FGCK) @ JSS 3, parents were bewildered because I schooled on state merit. My reason : I lost interest.
Went through apprenticeship for 7 yrs @ a small merchandising company, completed sec school also, got 'settled' to become my own boss.
Started wt 6k, my popsie blessings, God's unwavering grace.
After 2 years, made enough to take Jamb, pass and enrolled in the Uni for B Sc economics while doing the business.
Graduated, engaged ma heart throb (she actually encouraged my going back to school), a kid now.
Prep for ma M Sc @ Europe later dis year.
Oh! D Biz? Has metamorphosed into an import outfit with sales over 12m turnover monthly, and still growing.
What kept me going? Fear of Hunger and desire to do better!

2 Likes

Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by etchel(m): 6:58pm On Jul 13, 2012
i am comming back you nice thread
Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by nairahacker: 7:37pm On Jul 13, 2012
Got admitted last year into a polytechnic

Started a website with 5k

Spent my monthly allowance + money for text book to pay for month hosting subscription + internet subscription

With tricks and ideas, I got my website ontops.

Rite now I earn abuh 200k a month, n am just 22. Pay my school fees , take care of my bills, can't remember the last time I called my peeps

In ma ND finals , wud be goin. For my IT, and I don't tink I wud b coming back..

I want to setUp 2 new website wit diff niche... undecidedGot admitted last year into a polytechnic

Spent my monthly allowance + money for text book to pay for month hosting subscription + internet subscription

Rite now I earn abuh 200k a month, n am just 22. Pay my school fees , take care of my bills, can't remember the last time I called my peeps

In ma ND finals , wud be goin For my IT, and I don't tink I wud b coming back..

I want to setUp 2 new website wit diff niche...wanna double my earnings

God bless
Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by wahabcoal(m): 7:38pm On Jul 13, 2012
Claracuzio: I ventured into business in 2009 after attending an aptitude test for NBC at events center ikeja, if anyone here witnessed the population at that venue which was supposed to be for 2.1 and 1st class, no resonable graduate will waste his time money and efforts to apply again which was what
I did I have 12 pple on my payroll directly and about a hundred pple that make their living through my business- drivers, distributors, etc.
I gross about 25m anually out of which my profit is about 14m. I only buy what I need and reinvest it back into the business. I don't drive a luxury car as many would want to. I have a dream which is to stop unemployment at least within my family.
I went through hell in school just to get good grades and discovered that it doesn't matter these days.
A whole lot of pple are scared to go into businesses because of the risks but life itself is a risk.
My advice to the unemployed, swallow your pride, get a skill and do somthing for yourself no matter how small, it will grow.
Word sir! Word!!!

1 Like

Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by bigx(m): 7:52pm On Jul 13, 2012
nairahacker: Got admitted last year into a polytechnic

In ma ND finals , wud be goin. For my IT, and I don't tink I wud b coming back..

I want to setUp 2 new website wit diff niche... undecidedGot admitted last year into a polytechnic

In ma ND finals , wud be goin For my IT, and I don't tink I wud b coming back..

I want to setUp 2 new website wit diff niche...wanna double my earnings

God bless

What does the website do?
Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by Connoisseur(m): 8:39pm On Jul 13, 2012
I graduated with a 2:1 in computer sci back in '07. Back in the East, the only form of enterprrneurship we know is buying and selling, I ventured in the family business.
I kinda know the business from way back in school, I sought new ways of modifying the business but met with opposition from ma folks who wanted it done the old way thus impending ma access to funds. I branched out on ma own wit ma meager resources and today the older folks still can't believe they never thought of it my way.
The problem with we Nigerian youths is; we think of some business as beneath us and not unto our level.
But if we believe in ourselves and have this deep rooted hatred for poverty; then the sky is only a starting point for our achievements.
@Op interesting thread
Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by OkoliChuks: 10:10pm On Jul 13, 2012
yeah true talk, internet biz is getting crazy like, for me I lost money in the beginning until I understood the real systems to invest in. It's all about getting ideas and the appeal. Now I make money and just re-invest and chilling. And the good part is the capital isn't much. Just a few bucks and you are good to go.
Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by elgrant(m): 12:45am On Jul 14, 2012
I am an undergraduate studyin biochemistry in a private university. It is generally known dat d private school are 4 d elites but dats nt my case. During my 5 months break i embarked on printing nd painting job. After a month i went around looking for people i can print shirts 4 and finali i stumbled over two schools had to supply dem nd today i can boost of a fat account. It doesnt mata wat u read or reading d way out in nigeria is creativity. Realise dat tin u love d most nd give it a unique touch nd u'l b on top of ur game.
Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by wealthnet: 2:31am On Jul 14, 2012
Entrepreneurship is key to rich and one of the sustainable way to wealth creation but there may not be financial freedom everyone is seeking for because there will be enough money but no free time for yourself and your family due to active participation involves.
Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by Callimo(m): 3:11am On Jul 14, 2012
Legalplayerz: Simple

Entrepreneurs = Billionaire

Salary men = Thousandnaire

If you don't have the heart don't join us. But if you do, be prepared for success and failure.

grin grin grin grin Kpomkwem!!!! Na so e be nwanne. A moving train waits for no man. Gbam!!!

1 Like

Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by abbeystik(m): 4:29am On Jul 14, 2012
What an interesting and informative thread.The experiences shared have been enlightening.I'v got an entrepreneur blood flowing in me though im not fully into it yet cos i still do a paid job.I've done buying and selling of wears and it really fetched a lot of money and presently transportation biz(keke marwa on higher purchase).I'v got the dream of going fully into the biz world few years frm nw.Recently i've nt bn able to hav a gud sleep cos of the biz dreams i've caught.These are things im passionate about and i thank God i hav a wife who keeps encouraging me to be focused,seek God's face and never look back.U wont believe im a medical practitioner.
Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by IncomeTutor: 5:38am On Jul 14, 2012
I actually decided to start my own business when I discovered
that employers were making huge profits and not paying their
staff commensurate salaries. I was privy to many accounting
records as an accountant.

Although running a profitable business takes a lion's heart,
you need God in your business to grow and succeed.

What has kept me going in business in Nigeria is HOPE.
Other than that, Nigeria's business clime is nothing
to write home about.
Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by wolexter(m): 9:06am On Jul 14, 2012
Hmmm nice topic! For me I av an experience as an entrepreneur and a salaried worker in a bank and I can authoritatively tell anyone dat owning one's biz is better.

My entrepreneural experience dates back to my NYSC days: before I got my posting letter I was praying dat it wudnt be lagos cos all my education was done in same city n so I was so desirous of going out so I cud av a new experience. D letter came n I was posted to bayelsa, but before I set off n as it is my custom I drew up a list of goals I wanted to achieve, of wich d topmost was to make @least N1m during NYSC. My ppl I got to bayelsa wit dis goal being d dominating thought of my mind n afta a lot of thought process I saw opportunity in n ventured into recharge card biz. D opportunity I spotted was dat having being posted to Amassoma where d only university in bayelsa was @ d time I would av a large market if I dealt in recharge cards n would make so much profit cos every denomination of recharge card carried a minimum profit of N50 @ d time. To cut long story short I achieved my goal- my FCMB n UBA statements confirmed it to me. But let me state here dat my start up capital was my 1st allowance plus a small loan from a corper colleague. D rest was negotiation- I was handed cards worth N200k wit a deposit of N30k wich I turnover in no time. I built trust btw myslf and distributor n so enjoyed d credit facility for a while until I had enuf money to start purchasing in bulk frm Lagos myslf.

Unfortunately for me, cos I dint av a long term goal for d biz, afta NYSC I came back to Lagos n squandered d money sowing my wild oat wit a couple of punks. I got a banking job 6 months afta n changed to another bank 3yrs afta but all nah rat race!. I left my 2nd banking job 4 months ago on my own terms wen it dawned dat I cudnt tolerate d intimidation any further n realised dat I cud still succeed as an entrepreneur. I av been planning, thinking n working as an entrepreneur dealing in real estate n party rental services since den. I'm going for event mgt course shortly cos my dream is to own a popular event centre in d nearest future and den maybe stop working.

In conclusion, I feel to succeed as an entrepreneur 1 needs to 1st av an idea of wat 1 wants to do, think thru dis idea, stay focused, read wide especially books written by mentors in chosen field, be rugged n dogged, always act ( no procrastination) n also pray hard amongst other things. I don't av d final word on dis subject though! Peace!

1 Like

Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by acidtalk: 10:15am On Jul 14, 2012
God bless you all for your contributions.

When I started this thread I never new it will go this far to changing the lives of people positively.

I can assure you, most people are now more than willing to make it as an entrepreneur.

1 Like

Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by Skanas(m): 11:19am On Jul 14, 2012
^^^*thumbsup*
Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by sheyichambers(m): 2:57pm On Jul 14, 2012
Sehad concepts offers the best quality prints that Ɣ☺ΰ can ever imagine, we print on surface like , flex , sav, mesh ( window graphics) . We also do graphic designs, vehicle/fleet branding, sale ☺Ƒ printing materials...you can contact Seyi on 07036211982.[color=#006600][/color]
Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by Undabridge(m): 7:11pm On Jul 14, 2012
I'm happy to be attached to this post but I will like to ask you guyz that are in the service bizness to please give me or teach me how to write a simple business proposal to a company.This is really lacking in my bizness and it's really affecting me cos there is a limit to the jobs word of mouth marketing can get one as an entreprenuer.
Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by acidtalk: 7:19pm On Jul 14, 2012
Undabridge: I'm happy to be attached to this post but I will like to ask you guyz that are in the service bizness to please give me or teach me how to write a simple business proposal to a company.This is really lacking in my bizness and it's really affecting me cos there is a limit to the jobs word of mouth marketing can get one as an entreprenuer.
First what are you into?
different services have different mode of profiles.

Check out this link as i will be covering proposal writing.

https://www.nairaland.com/987784/a-z-entrepreneur-all-need-know#11402708
Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by kukute: 9:30pm On Jul 19, 2012
Nigeria has an acute unemployment problems. Clearly there are not enough jobs to go around. The various testimonies in this thread reveal that entrepreneurship is the antidote to unemployment. But it works best when you have a skill and good business knowledge. For those who have an inclination for the fashion industry, you can check out www.fashionandartacademy.com. Here is some info:

Fashion and Art Academy is the vocational skills transfer arm of House of Henri which has trained over 2000 people. House of Henri is an integrated company focused on the creative industry and creativity related ventures. The fashion division of House of Henri won the Nigeria Best Fashion Designer for 2005/2006 of the Nigeria Fashion Show.

Courses: We currently offer training courses in Fashion Design, Bridals, Soft Furnishings and Interior Décor, Photography, Millinery, Jewelry Craft, Makeover Artistry and Events Decor. Our courses take a highly practical approach, focusing on extensive hands on exercises by our students. Our method breaks down sometimes difficult concepts into easy to learn steps bringing the student up to speed. We have been able to prove again and again through the success of our students that the knowledge and skill that takes up to four years to learn through the mentor-apprentice method that typically obtains in the industry, takes less than a year to acquire at Fashion and Art Academy.

Goals: Our goal is to add value to people who want to start or grow a career in the Fashion, Art, Craft and Creative industries in general by imparting to them invaluable creative, technical, and business skills. The programmes prepare our students for careers in the local and global Creative Industries including Fashion, Art, and Design. With these skills they can start or grow a business as a means of livelihood or as an additional stream of income. In the event that they decide to further their education within or outside the country the skills learned can be used as entry level requirements to higher institutions and they would have been given a strategic leverage and head start that will make them excel. We also believe that beyond the typical white collar jobs, every man or woman should have a skill or learn a trade that they can fall back on at any point in time.
Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by signature2012(m): 10:58pm On Jul 19, 2012
Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by acidtalk: 11:54pm On Jul 19, 2012
signature2012: i have read everyone comment and was so thrilled,am so happy people like you believe we can make it on our own without waiting for a penny salary @ d end of the month,i work in d financial sector,but am not alwayz happy with my job most tymz becoz i believe i can make it when am self employed,but my challenge is alwayz d starting point,plz and plz,dont make full of me,i want everyone to tell me d best way i can start my own online BIZ,i read people make different dollars on daily basis,but dont know d starting point,thanks in anticipation.here is my mail,james_agbama@yahoo.com[b][/b][b][/b]
]]For online business i cant help on that.
but on every other way to startup, i might be able to drop my 2cents.
Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by GentlyLoud: 1:30am On Jul 20, 2012
Good Evening folks,

I left Nigeria 2002 for London after my NYSC.. Came back after 6 years in 2008 with about 5million Niara Equivalewnt in cash.. how did i get that i did 3 jobs for many years..it was hell..and i was sending stuffs back home to be resold..i knew all the car boot sale joints..But anyway i lost every gadden thing when i returded to Nigeria to stupid investemnt and lifestyle including marraige extravaganc.. My parents had to lie to family freinds that i had returned bACK abroad because they were ashemed of me....fastforward to 2010.. I was so broke with a wife and kid no car no house..i cactually had about 4 cars when i came back..I borrowed 30k from my freind and registed a cleaning company..we clean and maintain some big offices and estates in lekki now..i have over 22 employee's working for me..was it worth it..i say YES..was it eazy..HELL NO. The truth is Not everyone will make it as entreprenuers...some of us will excell as managers and administrators..(onosede., pat utomi, fashola, Anyoku,) while some are enteprenuers..so please kindly find your nitch.. I have a freind who is a top top manager in a bank..he is in high demand in the banking induistry..he boasted that he can never be out of job in the next 10 years..he puts his money well also..has his own house in lekki with little mortgage and is saving for a stress free kinda business like farming or something..says he can never hussle like we do...Enterprenuer is a very lonely and tough road...But very rewarding at the end for those that can go the distant..Take Note..only 2 in every 10 enterprenuer makes it..the rest(like my Dad) fall by the wayside.. Goodluck

2 Likes

Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by biz1234: 2:11am On Jul 20, 2012
My greatest desire to excel keeps me going...
Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by acidtalk: 9:39am On Jul 20, 2012
@GentlyLoud,

Thanks for this very insightful, honest and open contribution of yours. I believe it will go a very long way in opening the perspection of entrepreneurship people have.
Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by TechRev: 10:12pm On Jul 20, 2012
oiseworld: interesting posts. I love all ur experiences, but has any tried enterpreneuship with innovation? Its one of the hardestthings to do. But the end is just too much. Am an innovator/enterprenuer and my products are all over the lagos market. Though very risky and hard to start, but much more rewarding. I beg all those enterpreneurs in the house not just to help them self with buying and selling, but help Nigeria with innovation and production. You would be surprised how far you'll go. Its tooooo rewarding.

@Oiseworld please could you tell what do you produce??

1 Like

Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by acidtalk: 5:30pm On Oct 03, 2012
Can we reignite the passion of this thread and share the secrets of what has kept us going?
Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by biz1234: 4:38am On Oct 04, 2012
God, sincerity and the passion to help others have really kept me going.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Nigeria Is Biggest Rice Buyer In 2019, Behind China - Bloomberg / How to Earn An Extra 45,000-95,000 Naira/month. / Help A Friend To Invest 500 Thousand Naira.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.