Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,199 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 04:24 AM

Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? (19667 Views)

12 Young Entrepreneurs Who Make Me Feel Optimistic About Nigeria's Future / What Is The Force That Keeps You Going As An Entrepreneur? / Nigerian Entrepreneurs Worth Admiring (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by snazzydawn(f): 11:52pm On Jul 12, 2012
quite tired now, I'll tell my story tomorrow...
Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by cheddarking(m): 11:58pm On Jul 12, 2012
At the risk of derailing this thread,

I believe that far too many people put a lot of emphasis on 'running my own business' and 'sacking my boss(es)'.
It is very very possible to be an employee and an entrepreneur at the same time.
Investing in some buisnesses like real estate or being a silent partner can allow you to be an employee and an entrepreneur at the same time.

my advice to some Nairalanders is to chill and observe, speculate well well before you tell your oga to do one.

Running your own biz can be HELL.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by bigx(m): 12:07am On Jul 13, 2012
cheddarking: At the risk of derailing this thread,

I believe that far too many people put a lot of emphasis on 'running my own business' and 'sacking my boss(es)'.
It is very very possible to be an employee and an entrepreneur at the same time.
Investing in some buisnesses like real estate or being a silent partner can allow you to be an employee and an entrepreneur at the same time.

my advice to some Nairalanders is to chill and observe, speculate well well before you tell your oga to do one.

Running your own biz can be HELL.

There is a limit to the extent that what you don't focus on can grow.
Entrepreneurship is a way of life and one person's hell can be someone else's excitement.

2 Likes

Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by 222Martins(m): 12:11am On Jul 13, 2012
Wow, it's late and people are here talking about the risks they took. Well, my story is not too exciting. I got admission into high institution, used the money my dad gave me for text books to start a business. The business boomed and i branched out into other businesses but unfortunately, i dropped out of school after my first year. Who cares? I'm just happy to be making a lot more money than some bank managers. It really pays to follow your passion.

3 Likes

Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by cheddarking(m): 12:15am On Jul 13, 2012
bigx:

There is a limit to the extent that what you don't focus on can grow.
Entrepreneurship is a way of life and one person's hell can be someone else's excitement.

My advice is not for established entrepreneurs like yourself sir.
My advice is for people who do not have the necessary skills, but are lured by stories like the one you have posted.

Not everybody can create and run the biggest bulk sms company in Nigeria like yourself.
Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by bigx(m): 12:21am On Jul 13, 2012
cheddarking:

My advice is not for established entrepreneurs like yourself sir.
My advice is for people who do not have the necessary skills, but are lured by stories like the one you have posted.

Not everybody can create and run the biggest bulk sms company in Nigeria like yourself.

Ok sir, noted. Its still the same though, focus is very very important in everything.

N/B Not the Biggest o! I said I own some of the Biggest,

1 Like

Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by lacasa: 12:23am On Jul 13, 2012
i dnt believe Enterpreneur is the word ϯo use in Nigeria especially.

Rather, i'd prefer Hustler be the keyword here

For u ϯo be an enterpreneur, u must αve d enabling environment, n 4 naija dat environment no just be am

Gettin d job security is the most ppractical option in our circumstance.

But, tђere is being "Risky" n tђere is being "Impractical".

The fact is, the top hustlers in ds country such as the Dangote's the Otedola's r nothing of Enterpreneurs but Hustlers with a stack of government/PDP backed concessions anϑ monopolistic policies †ђat favour their arenas.

Compared ϯo Enterpreneurs around the wworld like Mittal, Trump anϑ Vince Mcmahon, the line btw Hustlers anϑ Enterpreneurs is surely clear

3 Likes

Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by lacasa: 12:23am On Jul 13, 2012
i dnt believe Enterpreneur is the word ϯo use in Nigeria especially.

For u ϯo be an enterpreneur, u must αve d enabling environment, n 4 naija dat environment no just be am

The fact is, the top hustlers in ds country such as the Dangote's the Otedola's r nothing of Enterpreneurs but Hustlers with a stack of government/PDP backed concessions anϑ monopolistic policies †ђat favour their arenas.

Compared ϯo Enterpreneurs around the wworld like Mittal, Trump anϑ Vince Mcmahon, the line btw Hustlers anϑ Enterpreneurs is surely clear.
Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by bigx(m): 12:34am On Jul 13, 2012
lacasa: i dnt believe Enterpreneur is the word ϯo use in Nigeria especially.

Compared ϯo Enterpreneurs around the wworld like Mittal, Trump anϑ Vince Mcmahon, the line btw Hustlers anϑ Enterpreneurs is surely clear.

What is the difference between an entrepreneur and a hustler?
The line you say is clear is not clear to me

Also, concerning job security, have you ever passed the scene of job tests? With the impossible conditions lined up for shortlisting do you see the crowds?

When a typical job has 10,000 people hustling for it how secure can it be? You should know of the law of demand and supply.

Until we realise Nigeria is a blessed land where you can make money much more easily than in many other places and we realise that the thousands of expatriaates landing in our international aairports everyday aare not here for tourism, we would continue to suffer in the midst of plenty.

To me, all entrepreneurs are hustlers, till proven otherwise

2 Likes

Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by Emokai(m): 12:50am On Jul 13, 2012
hmn! life! life! I worked 2 and half yrs wit a private firm b4 starting my business exactly 1yr ago. i now have 2 branches and a jeep within 1 yr. i've also employed 4 semi skilled labour. i wont rest until i've developed my business 2 d extent that i'll b able 2 employ skilled nd experienced labour. working 4 someone was like hell 2 me; i suffered every form of humiliation to d extent of loosing my self esteem. now i'm free. i'm now a Director.

2 Likes

Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by bukkytroni: 1:03am On Jul 13, 2012
bigx:

What is the difference between an entrepreneur and a hustler?
The line you say is clear is not clear to me

To me, all entrepreneurs are hustlers, till proven otherwise

To the best of my knowledge, everyone is a hustler either you are hustling for yourself or your boss.

For me, I love my talent and have found people who will pay for it and have been paying for it, that is the life vein of my business.

What kind of business? I am a talented, gifted and passionate teacher. I have coached, nursery, primary, secondary, university, masters students.
I even coach for promotional interviews, aptitude tests, GMAT etc. I coached a TOTAL staff for promotional test about 2 months ago, and am very good at it, so referral keeps coming.

I dont have physical strength, but my brain is very hot so I decided to turn the hotness into money.
Also, I dont charge cheap because I have been doing this thing since I was 17.

The fun of satisfied clients, monthly NO-STORY cashflow and that you brain can never ever go stale, keeps me going.

The challenge however, is that you need to keep reading like college professor - updates on British curriculum, American curriculum, Spanish, Italian, Nigerian curriculum, GMAT and GRE updates etc. Thats why I am online most days at this time, to STUDY.

All d best

4 Likes

Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by Sammyfemy: 1:03am On Jul 13, 2012
I've never done business. My family has never been into business. The business Ideas that comes to me are always in their millions. I need your help on the what one can do with say 100 to 200,000 and also services that I can render to bring in cash.
Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by bukkytroni: 1:05am On Jul 13, 2012
By the ways, I listened to Cosmas Maduka, Coscharis owner and discovered he never spent 1 day in school. I felt ashamed but challenged at the same time.

2 Likes

Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by baaliyah(m): 1:07am On Jul 13, 2012
After working for people for 10 years i resigned last january to learn tailoring. I have passion for fashion expecially sewing. I ve started making dresses for my self and my friends. I bought an industrial sewing machine @ 50k which i use @ home. It s not easy being married with 2 kids but it is a risk worth taking. Clothing is essential. U can start with little cash. u can spend 2 hours daily as an apprientis, in 6 months time u wont b thesame, if u have passion 4 it.

4 Likes

Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by baaliyah(m): 1:08am On Jul 13, 2012
After working for people for 10 years i resigned last january to learn tailoring. I have passion for fashion expecially sewing. I ve started making dresses for my self and my friends. I bought an industrial sewing machine @ 50k which i use @ home. It s not easy being married with 2 kids but it is a risk worth taking. Clothing is essential. U can start with little cash. u can spare 3 hours daily as an apprentice, in 6 months time u wont b thesame, if u have passion 4 it.

1 Like

Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by Legalplayerz: 2:01am On Jul 13, 2012
Simple

Entrepreneurs = Billionaire

Salary men = Thousandnaire

If you don't have the heart don't join us. But if you do, be prepared for success and failure.

3 Likes

Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by adconline(m): 2:58am On Jul 13, 2012
For me business has alaway been my passion. From my childhood in the village where I would always go to this guy who owned several wooden carts to rent one of his carts to move our stuff from farm or to market He was charging me the price of diamond and would always charge you for not returning his wooden carts in the same way he "handed" it over you. I got fed up with his practices and built one with the help of my friends and started renting to villagers who needed my help. I later built a better one and crashed my competitor's price. Since then, I have not looked back on taking risks and getting rewarded or burnt. I have been into IT /Telecoms, import and export, procurement and logistics. I was talking to my brother in-law who resigned his good paying bank job. He had been a banker for over 23 years... might be promoted to an AGM in the next couple of years IF things work in his favor and IF he stayed. He was so enthused and about leaving his and has a lot of plans on ground already before leaving his job...mark my word " plans on ground not on paper"
The main thing about entrepreneurship is that you completely UNDERWRITE your risk; which is what most people are afraid of.

1 Like

Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by princeonx: 3:58am On Jul 13, 2012
Skanas: Wel,afta grad in 2008 microbiology EBSU n service in 2009 fggc mkpat enin Aks,I have neva 'seriously' applied for a job.Not like am proud of myself,becos ah stil want 2 practice my course..Ooo.But 9ja condition made me use 180k to start recharge biz(wholesale) on d 15th of Aug 2010 one month afta service.Lucky me,my dad has a shop so ah didnt hv 2 rent.I also hawkd d rechare cards eachtym my sis agree 2 stay in my shop..fast4ward to 2day...ah have 3 pple in my payrole,ah hav an annex,a sullivan cab(if u r in Enugu u'l no wat ah min) and stock capacity worth ova a million.Infact d very first dealer ah went 2 buy frm wit my 180k(n who actually insulted me)came 2 my shop 2 offer me credit facilities...lol al ah go sey na God do am...jst start something,u'l b amazed hw it wil spring up...minyl am stil goin bk 2 school..Ooo 4 my Msc. then Phd. Becos ah hav passion 4 lecturing...

Is this the norm of writing lately? No comma, no full stop, nothing! How do you educate people when they can't even read or understand what you're typing/saying? Reading your post is like punishment seriously! Maybe it's just me

1 Like

Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by DammyFx: 4:08am On Jul 13, 2012
Not Easy But The Lord His Our Strength

Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by MrUmaRu(m): 5:31am On Jul 13, 2012
Emokai: hmn! life! life! I worked 2 and half yrs wit a private firm b4 starting my business exactly 1yr ago. i now have 2 branches and a jeep within 1 yr. i've also employed 4 semi skilled labour. i wont rest until i've developed my business 2 d extent that i'll b able 2 employ skilled nd experienced labour. working 4 someone was like hell 2 me; i suffered every form of humiliation to d extent of loosing my self esteem. now i'm free. i'm now a Director.
What are u into
Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by helpee(m): 5:34am On Jul 13, 2012
I am using this a two edged sword...to thank God and to encourage my people. Though I am a professional, a medical doctor. After medical education, I decided to acquire a lot of skills medically even with a meagre pay and learn the rudiment of private hospital business.I started less than two yrs ago and today, we make more than a million per month with most of it profit. I was carried away though...after one year, I bought an expensive car to the tune of 4million and my landlord got jealous, gave me a quit notice but my tenancy won't expire in a year so I am negotiating for a property in the vicinity and my God will buy it for me. Mind you...I do only legal medical cases with thorougness, no abortion just my God. I started with a loan I took on my salary while working for anoda hospital two yrs ago and I stayed with them for one year after to complete the loan but I insisted on only night duty. I deceived my oga I wanted to write exams so he should put me only night. My story may look different cos I am a professional but if you know I am 32 and most of my mates are still begging fashola to top up their moni above 200K then u will know its not easy. Bottomline; courage and dare the odds!

5 Likes

Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by bigx(m): 5:44am On Jul 13, 2012
helpee: I am using this a two edged sword...to thank God and to encourage my people. Though I am a professional, a medical doctor. After medical education, I decided to acquire a lot of skills medically even with a meagre pay and learn the rudiment of private hospital business.I started less than two yrs ago and today, we make more than a million per month with most of it profit. I was carried away though...after one year, I bought an expensive car to the tune of 4million and my landlord got jealous, gave me a quit notice but my tenancy won't expire in a year so I am negotiating for a property in the vicinity and my God will buy it for me. Mind you...I do only legal medical cases with thorougness, no abortion just my God. I started with a loan I took on my salary while working for anoda hospital two yrs ago and I stayed with them for one year after to complete the loan but I insisted on only night duty. I deceived my oga I wanted to write exams so he should put me only night. My story may look different cos I am a professional but if you know I am 32 and most of my mates are still begging fashola to top up their moni above 200K then u will know its not easy. Bottomline; courage and dare the odds!

Lovely story... Even in medicine the way to Big bucks is Entrepreneurship, I have a lot of doctor friends who are still searching for the "big money" after years of practicing. Congrats
Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by Claracuzio: 6:21am On Jul 13, 2012
Brrrrrr

3 Likes

Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by mkmyers45(m): 6:22am On Jul 13, 2012
ONE WORD: DRIVE
Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by babaniyen1(m): 6:32am On Jul 13, 2012
I started business immediately after school infact during NYSC. I was into website designing. It was difficult because the money was not really enough and getting jobs sometimes without a profile was not easy. But at the end of the day persistence, dedication and tenacity paid off. Today I have more that 15 people under my employment and I can start to narrate our wide apart the gap between where i began and where I am today. But ultimately I must thank God for giving me the ability to make money because that is a gift from only God.
Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by baslone: 7:02am On Jul 13, 2012
If you don't design your own life plan, chances are you'll fall into someone else's plan. And guess what they have planned for you? Not much!

1 Like

Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by acidtalk: 7:03am On Jul 13, 2012
helpee: I am using this a two edged sword...to thank God and to encourage my people. Though I am a professional, a medical doctor. After medical education, I decided to acquire a lot of skills medically even with a meagre pay and learn the rudiment of private hospital business.I started less than two yrs ago and today, we make more than a million per month with most of it profit. I was carried away though...after one year, I bought an expensive car to the tune of 4million and my landlord got jealous, gave me a quit notice but my tenancy won't expire in a year so I am negotiating for a property in the vicinity and my God will buy it for me. Mind you...I do only legal medical cases with thorougness, no abortion just my God. I started with a loan I took on my salary while working for anoda hospital two yrs ago and I stayed with them for one year after to complete the loan but I insisted on only night duty. I deceived my oga I wanted to write exams so he should put me only night. My story may look different cos I am a professional but if you know I am 32 and most of my mates are still begging fashola to top up their moni above 200K then u will know its not easy. Bottomline; courage and dare the odds!

I appreciate every single poster but your story, @adecoline, @billynoire and @bigx, and the coaching lady are my favorite so far reason being you people gave an insist to the struggle and how it all started and that's the essence of this thread.

I believe a whole lot of people are getting inspire by this thread.

Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by Cupidkc(m): 7:13am On Jul 13, 2012
Mind blowing stories...tnks you al.
Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by Clerverly: 7:16am On Jul 13, 2012
Claracuzio: I ventured into business in 2009 after attending an aptitude test for NBC at events center ikeja, if anyone here witnessed the population at that venue which was supposed to be for 2.1 and 1st class, no resonable graduate will waste his time money and efforts to apply again which was what
I did I have 12 pple on my payroll directly and about a hundred pple that make their living through my business- drivers, distributors, etc.
I gross about 25m anually out of which my profit is about 14m. I only buy what I need and reinvest it back into the business. I don't drive a luxury car as many would want to. I have a dream which is to stop unemployment at least within my family.
I went through hell in school just to get good grades and discovered that it doesn't matter these days.
A whole lot of pple are scared to go into businesses because of the risks but life itself is a risk.
My advice to the unemployed, swallow your pride, get a skill and do somthing for yourself no matter how small, it will grow.
Which type of business are you into?
Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by Nobody: 7:26am On Jul 13, 2012
When I lost my Dad, my mum became saddled with the responsibility of feeding and catering for five children, and she'd never worked for a day since she married my dad!I had to find a way to survive, and I made cakes, toast, pies and chinchin on contract. In 300level, I started decorating church altars for a fee, and in my final year, I handled most of the faculty dinners in my school(catering and all other aspects).

What has kept me going is my desire to be able to cater for myself and siblings, and even though I'm not at the peak of my event managing career yet, its only a short time away.

And yes, you can start with nothing! I did.

3 Likes

Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by naylove(m): 7:27am On Jul 13, 2012
Good thread,great comments. Am so richly touched.my story is still being seasond,so look out for moi
Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by naylove(m): 7:34am On Jul 13, 2012
prince_onx:

Is this the norm of writing lately? No comma, no full stop, nothing! How do you educate people when they can't even read or understand what you're typing/saying? Reading your post is like punishment seriously! Maybe it's just me
oh yeah,its just u.coz if u look again.you'll find the foolstops(doubles n triples)with plenty komas too.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Nigeria Is Biggest Rice Buyer In 2019, Behind China - Bloomberg / Cement Price Soar In South East / Help A Friend To Invest 500 Thousand Naira.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.