Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,909 members, 7,817,683 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:11 PM

Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? (19651 Views)

12 Young Entrepreneurs Who Make Me Feel Optimistic About Nigeria's Future / What Is The Force That Keeps You Going As An Entrepreneur? / Nigerian Entrepreneurs Worth Admiring (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by acidtalk: 12:23pm On Jul 11, 2012
Going into the world of Entrepreneurship is the Biggest, Bravest and Riskiest thing anyone can venture into.

It takes the strong hearted to enback on such journey because its such a risky one.

Like any other thing or phase in life, once you have started and mastered the game there is usually no going back as you just want to keep moving.

While Employees crave for Security (salary), Entrepreneurs Are Hungry for Freedom (Profit making). At the end of the day money is the going factor but sure with a whole lot of differences.

We won't go into all that details right now. Its a topic for another day.

Entrepreneurs in the house I hail una oh! Its never always easy but with determination, perseverance and above all, the Grace of God there's certainly always a way.

I will like you all to share your entrepreneur story. How it all started, what made you venture into the business you are in today, what motivated you, the risk you took, the castigation people placed on you and also what has kept you going?

Share your experiences (both the happy and sad times) in the journey of your road to freedom and happiness as a business owner (entrepreneur). Also drop some words to motivate those people who are thing of starting up their own businesses.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by bigx(m): 3:21pm On Jul 11, 2012
Me first!! I was doing my IT years back when I met someone I wanted to get married to then (yes I'm impulsive like that), it didn't work out finally but she encouraged me a lot and I registered my first ever company a week after the IT ended.
I never enjoyed the job, I felt the staff where cheating the boss playing zuma & chatting on facebook on company time, I am not good at eye service and ego-massaging/ rankadede-ism so seeing people around me do it for little favours just pissed me off as I'm a straight to the point person.

3 months into the Job I decided I'd rather work for myself.

The company I registered after the programme was a practical flop as I had no time for it but after my Engineering program (on the day I wrote my last exam) I started a new business with skills I'd gathered.
Fast forward to today, years later, I still don't know how to write a CV, but I can decide to stay in my house a whole week and still get better than most salaries for the whole month in that week.
I'm also diversifying from the first IT based business I started into food and other sectors.

For upcoming entrepreneurs, learn to start with the little you have, pray for guidance, and when the money starts rolling in, never get carried away with expensive toys, re-invest and keep ur cashflow healthy.

Risk: Never writing a CV or searching for a job with my 2:1 in Petroleum Engineering. People still think they are "doing me from home" but I'm loving my life, space for growth is limitless for me, that's what keeps me going.

19 Likes

Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by acidtalk: 3:40pm On Jul 11, 2012
@Bigx, believe me your case is rare as most people with that your grade and qualification will be rolling at the gate of companies to get employed.

I love your spirit and must confess also that I admire your will power.
Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by bigx(m): 3:44pm On Jul 11, 2012
acidtalk: @Bigx, believe me your case is rare as most people with that your grade and qualification will be rolling at the gate of companies to get employed.

I love your spirit and must confess also that I admire your will power.

Its tempting I must confess, when I hear all the salaries they pay, but then I always reason if they can pay that amount to hundreds of people, then imagine how much profits the owners of the company would be pocketing.

I also enjoy the envious comments when I always update, TGIM on my bbm every monday morning grin

2 Likes

Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by acidtalk: 5:34pm On Jul 11, 2012
bigx:

Its tempting I must confess, when I hear all the salaries they pay, but then I always reason if they can pay that amount to hundreds of people, then imagine how much profits the owners of the company would be pocketing.

You have just said it right.

i so much believe in the 80/20 principul.
Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by Skanas(m): 5:37pm On Jul 11, 2012
Wel,afta grad in 2008 microbiology EBSU n service in 2009 fggc mkpat enin Aks,I have neva 'seriously' applied for a job.Not like am proud of myself,becos ah stil want 2 practice my course..Ooo.But 9ja condition made me use 180k to start recharge biz(wholesale) on d 15th of Aug 2010 one month afta service.Lucky me,my dad has a shop so ah didnt hv 2 rent.I also hawkd d rechare cards eachtym my sis agree 2 stay in my shop..fast4ward to 2day...ah have 3 pple in my payrole,ah hav an annex,a sullivan cab(if u r in Enugu u'l no wat ah min) and stock capacity worth ova a million.Infact d very first dealer ah went 2 buy frm wit my 180k(n who actually insulted me)came 2 my shop 2 offer me credit facilities...lol al ah go sey na God do am...jst start something,u'l b amazed hw it wil spring up...minyl am stil goin bk 2 school..Ooo 4 my Msc. then Phd. Becos ah hav passion 4 lecturing...

6 Likes

Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by acidtalk: 5:51pm On Jul 11, 2012
Skanas: Wel,afta grad in 2008 microbiology EBSU n service in 2009 fggc mkpat enin Aks,I have neva 'seriously' applied for a job.Not like am proud of myself,becos ah stil want 2 practice my course..Ooo.But 9ja condition made me use 180k to start recharge biz(wholesale) on d 15th of Aug 2010 one month afta service.Lucky me,my dad has a shop so ah didnt hv 2 rent.I also hawkd d rechare cards eachtym my sis agree 2 stay in my shop..fast4ward to 2day...ah have 3 pple in my payrole,ah hav an annex,a sullivan cab(if u r in Enugu u'l no wat ah min) and stock capacity worth ova a million.Infact d very first dealer ah went 2 buy frm wit my 180k(n who actually insulted me)came 2 my shop 2 offer me credit facilities...lol al ah go sey na God do am...jst start something,u'l b amazed hw it wil spring up...minyl am stil goin bk 2 school..Ooo 4 my Msc. then Phd. Becos ah hav passion 4 lecturing...

These stories are so encouraging.
At least it will serve as a platform for people who are still scared of staring up their own business to see some positive reasons why they need to take the risk.
Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by Audinowing(m): 6:19am On Jul 12, 2012
Am a graduate of accounting with a very good result too, but for soone months now I ve been looking for job n non is forth coming. I am just tired with this job search thing n wants to venture into business. But the question is that, what kind of business can I do with 100k? Pls guys advice.

1 Like

Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by acidtalk: 6:48am On Jul 12, 2012
Audinowing: Am a graduate of accounting with a very good result too, but for soone months now I ve been looking for job n non is forth coming. I am just tired with this job search thing n wants to venture into business. But the question is that, what kind of business can I do with 100k? Pls guys advice.

A whole lot my brother.
Most times you can actual start off a business with 0kozo (zero kobo).

Even you are selling 'service' instead of 'product' then you sure might need very few startup cash.

I.E, maybe minimal amount for a complimentary card, flyers and one or two printed out proposal to be submitted.

Like you will always be asked what do you have a great passion for? Go and think deep come back with your answers and we will take it from there.

1 Like

Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by bigx(m): 6:57am On Jul 12, 2012
Audinowing: Am a graduate of accounting with a very good result too, but for soone months now I ve been looking for job n non is forth coming. I am just tired with this job search thing n wants to venture into business. But the question is that, what kind of business can I do with 100k? Pls guys advice.

I asked this question once long ago, I don't think you'd get anything viable asking in a public forum and also the money isn't the issue,
Get paper, look for a quiet place and compare the skills you have and what you love doing with your environment. You would get an answer before long, also be more observant.
I started my first lucrative business with 2000 and skills I learnt off the internet. Today, from that business alone, the least I make in a day (with bad market) is 20k.
So, get to work, one of the qualities of successful entrepreneurs is self motivation, don't always wait for others to spoonfeed you.

5 Likes

Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by acidtalk: 7:35am On Jul 12, 2012
bigx:

I asked this question once long ago, I don't think you'd get anything viable asking in a public forum and also the money isn't the issue,
Get paper, look for a quiet place and compare the skills you have and what you love doing with your environment. You would get an answer before long, also be more observant.
I started my first lucrative business with 2000 and skills I learnt off the internet. Today, from that business alone, the least I make in a day (with bad market) is 20k.
So, get to work, one of the qualities of successful entrepreneurs is self motivation, don't always wait for others to spoonfeed you.

Can you try to share the type of business you ventured into? Let's be very open and encourage this people as much as we can. Lots of people out there are loosing hope in life and even going suicidal because of lack of job.

Nigeria could sure be a better place if we share positive advice and beneficial knowledge to less awared individuals.

2 Likes

Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by bigx(m): 7:47am On Jul 12, 2012
acidtalk:

Can you try to share the type of business you ventured into? Let's be very open and encourage this people as much as we can. Lots of people out there are loosing hope in life and even going suicidal because of lack of job.

Nigeria could sure be a better place if we share positive advice and beneficial knowledge to less awared individuals.

The particular business I just talked about is Bulk SMS Wholesaling, I own some of the biggest bulk sms websites in Nigeria. And the first started with just a domain name at N2000 years ago.

Others where more capital intensive to start though a lot more lucrative but all the money for them came from this first one.
Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by acidtalk: 10:09am On Jul 12, 2012
bigx:

The particular business I just talked about is Bulk SMS Wholesaling, I own some of the biggest bulk sms websites in Nigeria. And the first started with just a domain name at N2000 years ago.

Others where more capital intensive to start though a lot more lucrative but all the money for them came from this first one.

Thanks for sharing
Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by Dainfamous: 11:09pm On Jul 12, 2012
doing very good more brain work that's all

1 Like

Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by Nobody: 11:17pm On Jul 12, 2012
The fear of working for others, and the baggage that comes with it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by Nobody: 11:20pm On Jul 12, 2012
Worked only 3 yrs after NYSC, 2 of which of spent on a multi-unit little company with about 15 people on payroll and with 40% mark-up was able to not only break-even but made substantial net. When competition set it and income dwindled, director/company owner thought I was prolly taking home more than necessary. In essence, I quit with less than 50K naira and decided to go into joint venture partnership with a friend who had the liquidity while I provided the expertise. That also died within 1 year as greed inter-played. Trust me I failed 3 other times at other businesses before I was able to understand that one needs more than expertise and capital to succeed. A friend invited me to Winners Chapel at Otta, Ogun State. A motivational preaching from the slapping pastor changed my life. The sermon was tagged "5 Cardinal Qualities of a Star" It changed my perception about failure and enlightened me to even enjoy failure as a stepping stone to success. After that sermon, I made in 6 months, the money I havent made in my entire life and I am still trying to see if i can break that record. Entrepreneurship isnt for the faint hearted. Its for the toughened minds that are ready to risk it all.

11 Likes

Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by Castos(m): 11:24pm On Jul 12, 2012
BATMEN! Are u guys nt in d same Naija with me! It's night abeg, my people sleep is good for the health. Just shutdown ur pc, close ur phone browser nd have a good night sleep like am about to.* sweet dreams *

1 Like

Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by acidtalk: 11:28pm On Jul 12, 2012
@Billyonaire, nice one. I love it when people give a little details about their journey like you have done.

Also its 100% that entrepreneur is not for the faint hearted. Will post a link in a giffy.
Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by Nobody: 11:28pm On Jul 12, 2012
Castos: BATMEN! Are u guys nt in d same Naija with me! It's night abeg, my people sleep is good for the health. Just shutdown ur pc, close ur phone browser nd have a good night sleep like am about to.* sweet dreams *
Personally I believe when I die, I will sleep forever. So why waste my time on sleep when am alive.

12 Likes

Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by bigx(m): 11:28pm On Jul 12, 2012
Billyonaire: Worked only 3 yrs after NYSC, 2 of which of spent on a multi-unit little company with about 15 people on payroll and with 40% mark-up was able to not only break-even but made substantial net. When competition set it and income dwindled, director/company owner thought I was prolly taking home more than necessary. In essence, I quit with less than 50K naira and decided to go into joint venture partnership with a friend who had the liquidity while I provided the expertise. That also died within 1 year as greed inter-played. Trust me I failed 3 other times at other businesses before I was able to understand that one needs more than expertise and capital to succeed. A friend invited me to Winners Chapel at Otta, Ogun State. A motivational preaching from the slapping pastor changed my life. The sermon was tagged "5 Cardinal Qualities of a Star" It changed my perception about failure and enlightened me to even enjoy failure as a stepping stone to success. After that sermon, I made in 6 months, the money I havent made in my entire life and I am still trying to see if i can break that record. Entrepreneurship isnt for the faint hearted. Its for the toughened minds that are ready to risk it all.

You said it all, so you attend my slapping church too??

2 Likes

Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by Nobody: 11:28pm On Jul 12, 2012
@audinowing...#100k! You are good 2 go with dat amt.wen i started d online biz dat is bringing me heavy cash nw,i had 5k.and guess what?i investd d whole cash into this biz.big risk! But God has been faithful. Its d #950 perday business system.you can get more details at d link below;
Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by horny4u(f): 11:29pm On Jul 12, 2012
Posterity....the thought of leaving something from my sweat equity for my coming generation to build on is what keeps me going.
Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by bigx(m): 11:30pm On Jul 12, 2012
Castos: BATMEN! Are u guys nt in d same Naija with me! It's night abeg, my people sleep is good for the health. Just shutdown ur pc, close ur phone browser nd have a good night sleep like am about to.* sweet dreams *

=))º°˚˚˚°ºнaĦĦнaº°˚˚˚°º=)), now is the best time to think n strategize, minimal distractions,

1 Like

Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by horny4u(f): 11:30pm On Jul 12, 2012
bigx: Me first!! I was doing my IT years back when I met someone I wanted to get married to then (yes I'm impulsive like that), it didn't work out finally but she encouraged me a lot and I registered my first ever company a week after the IT ended.

Why did you allow such a girl to escape....? cheesy wink
Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by baslone: 11:32pm On Jul 12, 2012
Ma story nah long thing! Itz just baba God!
Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by acidtalk: 11:33pm On Jul 12, 2012
Started this thread yesterday. Because of the HOT and catchinh topic it had 150 views with no response. It just totally shows Nigerian youths are not willing to take that risk. They want to keep playing it safe.

https://www.nairaland.com/987784/hot-vacancy-100-job-security
Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by bigx(m): 11:34pm On Jul 12, 2012
horny4u:

Why did you allow such a girl to escape....? cheesy wink

I still feel stupid for doing that seriously so far since I was born, she's d only person I could say I love you to and actually feel it. Complex situation though, now back to topic.. Lol
Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by Nobody: 11:36pm On Jul 12, 2012
bigx:

You said it all, so you attend my slapping church too??
Yes of course, Oyedepo is a wonderful motivational preacher. He is human and needs to be forgiven. I am not obsessed about the MOG syndrome, I think its a scare tactics.

3 Likes

Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by horny4u(f): 11:38pm On Jul 12, 2012
bigx:

I still feel stupid for doing that seriously so far since I was born, she's d only person I could say I love you to and actually feel it. Complex situation though, now back to topic.. Lol

If she is not married yet ...you may be making the mistake of a life time ...not running off to her.....grabbing our blessings can be can wear complicated but we can peel it off .....finding a mate who supports your dream is right up there.

In 60 years time ? will the complication still exist, still be there??
[s]
Gbegborun giving unsolicited advise about....common! mind ya business and let the man be[/s] embarassed
Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by Techwriter: 11:41pm On Jul 12, 2012
It doesn't matter the business you decide to enter after reading these inspiring stories. My little advice is no matter what it is amplify it online and you will get customers. They don't care wether you have an office or not. To run a business without advert they say is like winking at a lady in a dark room.Believe it or not thousands of your potential clients are searching for you online. We can give you that e-visibility

In Eloquent Touch Media, our job is to offer you cheap and effective means of advertising your product/service online. Hook up with us for daily tips on internet advertising pin is 2937756E or call us 08024444263, 018223333.
Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by horny4u(f): 11:41pm On Jul 12, 2012
Billyonaire: Yes of course, Oyedepo is a wonderful motivational preacher. He is human and needs to be forgiven. I am not obsessed about the MOG syndrome, I think its a scare tactics.

My thoughts exactly apart from forgiven...you only forgive people who are repentant and who apologise I guess but he is a wonderful teacher and a very wise man.He is indeed blessed but I donot subscribe to MOG syndrome.
Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by acidtalk: 11:49pm On Jul 12, 2012
horny4u:

My thoughts exactly apart from forgiven...you only forgive people who are repentant and who apologise I guess but he is a wonderful teacher and a very wise man.He is indeed blessed but I donot subscribe to MOG syndrome.

And a very good Business man too.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Have You Ever Transferred Money To The Wrong Account? / Nigeria Is Biggest Rice Buyer In 2019, Behind China - Bloomberg / Help A Friend To Invest 500 Thousand Naira.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.