Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,652 members, 7,816,677 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:57 PM

Pictures Of The Week (Ugly Side Of Lagos) - Travel (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Pictures Of The Week (Ugly Side Of Lagos) (31869 Views)

Poll: Do you support the public posting of these pictures?

Yes: it's the reality!: 90% (233 votes)
No: we must pretend!: 9% (24 votes)
This poll has ended

Photo Of Lagos Traffic In 1982 / 10 Unbelievable Photos Of Lagos You Will Mistake For London / Pictures of Lagos Skyline (City-Scape) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pictures Of The Week (Ugly Side Of Lagos) by Kenyanstar: 5:36pm On Jun 03, 2009
[center]LAND OF THE WEIRD PEOPLE: NIGERIA OFCOURSE[/center]

A breastfeeding mother in the poorest village slam town of Ogudu,Lagos wants her husband punished for forcing her to breastfeed his five puppies.

The 27-year-old Jennifer Amaka of Agidi village, Lagos sub-county said she had been married to Nathan Folasayo for over eight years.

“I produced four children but one of them died last year,” she said. “Now I have a three-month-old baby but my husband has been forcing me to share the breast milk with his five puppies,” she said.

Good Samaritans who have been helping her said the child had begun barking like puppies.

Amaka, who reported two cases of child neglect and assault, said the Police were frustrating her. Asked what punishment she wanted Falasayo to face, Amaka said: “He has humiliated me for long. I want him imprisoned for life.” Activists in addition want Falasayo to be charged with mistreatment.

Amaka is now getting support from ActionAid in Ogudu and the Pentecostal Revival Ministries. The little mud-and-wattle hut, which the church offered her, is a hive of activity as hordes of villagers throng the place to see “the woman who breastfed dogs”.

Narrating her frustration with the Police, she said the Police arrested Falasayo but released him after two days after giving out a bribe of 200 Naira. Apparently angered by the reporting, Falasayo beat Amaka to near death, she said.

“He then forced me to breastfeed his puppies,” Amaka explained. “He told me I had to breastfeed his dogs since he had paid two cows as dowry to my parents.”

Amaka said her husband brings home squirrels which he sometimes roasts in the bush. “That is why he wants his dogs healthy for hunting,” she said.

Rose Ibironke, the ActionAid coordinator, said: “If we didn’t intervene, Amaka would be dead.” She said the baby had begun barking like a dog when the mother sought refuge at the offices of Women Won’t Wait, a charitable organisation which counsels women traumatised by domestic violence in Pallisa.

“Her breasts were swollen and had wounds inflicted by bites by the puppies,” she said.

Rose said ActionAid would ensure that Amaka’s “killer” husband was punished. “We shall support her to get legal redress though the Police have let us down,” she said.

Neighbours confirmed that Falasayo had made his wife breastfeed his puppies. They said His pack of hunting dogs had become “a hazard to the village”, which is why the villagers killed them.

“He bought five puppies to replace the dead pack and wanted them to grow fast using breast milk,” said Festo Majanchi, ActionAid programme officer for Pallisa.

Falasayo, a seasoned hunter, had no kind words for his wife. “If I had not paid my two cows in bride price my dogs would have milk to take,” He told journalists and ActionAid officials at his home on Saturday.

The furious Falasayo chased the group away, threatening to deal with them if they dared step in his compound again.

Reacting to accusations of frustrating Amaka, the district Police commander, Amos Gumisiriza, said Falasayo was released on "bond" as the Resident State Attorney prepared the file for the court process.

He expected Falasayo to face charges of child neglect, assault and “any others advised by the State Attorney”.

Gumisiriza, however, suspected the woman to be mentally ill. But Wilson Otai, the head of the Pentecostal Revival Ministries church, described this as “rubbish”.

“This woman got mental stress due to what she was undergoing,” he argued. “We have been with her for three weeks and she wasn’t like this when she came here.”

The Ogudu child and family protection officer, Florence Amijong, said Falalsayohad hidden the puppies and it was hard to investigate the case.

Commenting on the medical dangers both mother and child may be facing, Dr. Alex Opio, the assistant commissioner of national disease control, ruled out rabies.

“By the time a dog shows signs of rabies, it is mad and it just bites instead of suckling,” he said. He suggested that the baby be taken to a health unit to find out the cause of the barking.

Dr. Vincent Karuhanga of Friends Polyclinic Lagos said the barking could have been caused by associating with the puppies.

“That is why children are most likely to speak the language of housemaids,” he said. “A child does not make noise just because it shared milk with dogs,” he said.

He said the mother needed counselling and to keep the child away from the puppies.
Re: Pictures Of The Week (Ugly Side Of Lagos) by honeric01(m): 1:32pm On Jun 06, 2009
Good Girl:

Yes am Kenyan and no am not on any diet program. LOL.  grin. I have never had a reason to be on diet even during my chubby teenage years. . . . Anyway, that aside, Kenya has diverse groups of individuals. It would be a bit difficult to classify them wholesomely. Some individuals, by virtue of their ethnic origins tend to be mostly skinny, and some tend to be big-boned. So, I still insist that the ones you see in the media are the marathon runners. grin grin. I think you watch too much Olympics and Commonwealth games!

By the way, aren't we going off-topic?

lol, sorry girl, at least we are still on a topic abi? lol,
anyways, i know all Kenyan women can't be bonny, just that the media are just too prone to show bonny Kenyans and hungry ones, especially the western media.
Re: Pictures Of The Week (Ugly Side Of Lagos) by Kenyanstar: 12:36pm On Jun 07, 2009
TYPICALLY NIGERIAN[center][/center]

Amazing is the only way to describe this country. You are too fast with your mouths, refusing to see any context in anything. It’s no wonder that your neighbours have gradually realised Nigeria is all hype. Consider this recent events:

The much touted national reforms are now all the rage. Extra-judicial corruption,assasinations, incoplicity and run away crime should and must be punished. That aside, I wonder if I were a policeman how I would be expected to police such an unruly country as yours has become.

A bunch of squatters squat on someone’s land. Trouble is, the plot has a legally registered owner who, as it happens, is not by any definition what we have come to know as a “land grabber”. When the time comes when he wants to develop it, he orders the squatters to vacate. They refuse, citing some nebulous “rights”.

Even when a court order is secured, they won’t budge. A police platoon sent to carry out the court order is met with violence and a hail of stones. Woe unto their commanding officer if his men get too liberal with the truncheons. He is dead meat as far as his career is concerned if he orders anyone to shoot.

When the commotion is over, the area Leader strides majestically to the disputed plot and loudly backs the squatters in their defiance. Civil rights groups join in the chorus of support. Such are the daily scenes we see in almost every municipality in the land. No wonder the average policeman is made to feel as despised as the common pickpocket.

Move to Lagos, where in recent days city officials(security guards) and policemen have been struggling to remove hawkers who have flooded the streets and made life sheer hell for pedestrians. The hawkers know pretty well they are violating city by-laws.

They also know very well the amount of inconvenience they are causing everybody. Yet that has not stopped them from violently resisting being thrown out. For several days now, tear gas fumes have engulfed downtown Lagos as police and hawkers engage in running battles.

Not one city leader has stood up to tell the hawkers that they are violating the law. Neither has any civil society group. But once the police over-step, you will hear the chorus that will suddenly erupt. We have become a society where the concept of law and order is losing its meaning.

Perhaps we had just better make up our minds and do away entirely with the police. Then we can organise ourselves according to the laws of the jungle. The policing models of developed countries such as Kenya we hanker after function differently because the citizens there conduct themselves civilly and not in the senseless way we do here.

When those people go out to demonstrate there, they do so with a sense of order. They don’t go looting shops and stoning motorists like the spoilt brats at our universities do. Only in the rare instances when such demonstrations get violent do police there respond in kind. And nobody will complain when that happens.

I would imagine the police are expected to deal with thugs with the kind of delicacy kindergarten teachers treat their pupils.Policemen should probably also be told it’s taboo not to shoot at politicised criminals who go on killing and arson sprees in the name of protesting election outcomes.

After all, haven’t we been told those were “fighters for democracy?” In that case the police should drop their weapons and allow themselves to be shot with guns and hacked with machetes so that they earn the beautiful reward of martyrdom in the world thereafter.
Re: Pictures Of The Week (Ugly Side Of Lagos) by Kenyanstar: 8:40am On Jun 08, 2009
[center]Typically Nigerian[/center]
As a rule, Nigerians love to whine about nothing. Thus, while everyone is complaining to the heavens about the need to reform the police, no one notices the rebirth that the police force has undergone right under your noses.

Take gender, for instance. Under Yaarduas tenure, fat policewomen have been quietly retired. Instead, they have hired slim, beautiful officers and deployed them to traffic duties.

So pretty are they that roadblocks have now become black spots for male drivers with a roving eye. It’s such a pleasure to negotiate a bribe with these models that one doesn’t even feel bad about passing over bribes. "Heh! Heh! Madam! I only have 200 Naira, but you look very nice in that uniform — madam!"

After all the pretty thing has real needs — salon bills, the baby — unlike their pot-bellied male counterparts who just invest the bribes in the stomach.

The boys and girls in blue have also become noticeably friendlier. At roadblocks, they address you as sir or madam and ask for bribes in such a sweet way that it just breaks your heart. It is also not uncommon to find them exchanging high fives and chatting animatedly with okada riders and taxi touts. That is community policing at its best.

But having said that, there are a few things that we should put in place to support the police efforts. First is to get rid of that colonial uniforms. I just never get it. Is it a raincoat? A jacket to wad off the cold or a stone-proof jacket when fighting hawkers?

cursed apparel

Either way, it’s downright ugly and cumbersome. If you dressed a diplomat in that cursed apparel, he would become mean-tempered in seconds.

The second thing we must get rid off is those military boots. For heaven’s sake, you don’t need jungle boots to file petty crime reports or flag down motorists. If you have worn gumboots in the sun for two hours, then you can appreciate the agony of encasing your feet in jungle boots for an entire career.

The third thing we need to lose is that idiotic whistle that the police chief carries in his pocket. Why would you need a whistle when you are armed with a rifle whose retort can wake the dead?

The fourth thing we need to do is design sweat proof uniforms for the police. If you made me stand in the sun for eight hours, my feet roasting in cheap jungle boots and my body oozing sweat from every pore in that ugly jacket, I would angrily harness bribes from pedestrians.

The sixth thing we must do is issue cops with decent bags for keeping bribes. It’s unfair to expect cops to stuff grimy notes beneath stones, under hats and in their bras. It’s, however, important that cops reciprocate by declaring their bribes for taxation purposes. Treasury is broke and we need every shilling we can lay our hands on, folks.

avoid clever folks

The thing we must not do at all costs is to hire youth with good grades into the police force. Clever people — especially those know-it all boys and girls who missed university by a whisker — can’t follow orders. Let them stick to hanging around banks as watchmen. Solving crimes is a complex matter best left to diligent crime busters with Grade "grin" on their resumes.

The worst thing we could ever do, however, is to start hiring cops with degrees. To do so is to invite comrade power into police stations where violent riots against the police chief will be the order of the day.

Thats is Naija for you
Re: Pictures Of The Week (Ugly Side Of Lagos) by londoner: 5:31pm On Jun 08, 2009
Naija obsession at its finest, lol
Re: Pictures Of The Week (Ugly Side Of Lagos) by volina(f): 5:03pm On Jun 16, 2009
, all african cities have an ugly side.I dnt see anything wrong with this pics.similary the best places look gorgeous, @kenyan star u beta cud b in kenya during 2007 elections, the situation wasnt different.Most of us were buying airtime through MPESA or our mobile banking.
Re: Pictures Of The Week (Ugly Side Of Lagos) by honeric01(m): 5:21pm On Jun 16, 2009
Funny
Re: Pictures Of The Week (Ugly Side Of Lagos) by Kenyanstar: 2:11pm On Jun 19, 2009
[b][center]NIGERIA A DEATH TRAP[/center][/b]

NIGERIANS love short-cuts and will steal everything, from votes to food from the mouths of babies. The cost does not matter as long as someone else pays the price. Only recently, a building collapsed in Abuja, reportedly having blatantly not met the set standards. You can be sure that the contractor and the owner had no plans to occupy it.

A similar situation occurred in Lagos city centre several years ago, and it took a rescue team from Israel a long time to retrieve bodies from the wreck. These buildings did not come up under cover of darkness.

I CAN’T RECALL THE NUMBER OF times my friends and I have debated whether one or another of the huge blocks of residential buildings in Lagos low-income areas is straight or decidedly off-centre. Some of them have no visible fire escapes.

The staircases are uneven and there is no railing to protect those who must climb them in the dark. Yet many are fully booked, even occupied, well before the structure is complete. It gives new meaning to housing at all cost. We destroy the forest then complain endlessly over the drying rivers.

Lagos residents board vehicles that are not roadworthy, full of pickpockets,uncouth touts, stuffy interior and smelly passengers and driven by wild men who treat them like sacks of sand, and then they go into a mourning orgy when the contraptions fall apart and kill more Nigerians than you care to count. You never bother to question the credentials of “doctors” operating in dubious dens, and you set up a hue and cry when more people come out of there dead than healed.

Give me a reason to think contrary.
Re: Pictures Of The Week (Ugly Side Of Lagos) by MandingoII(m): 10:42pm On Jun 21, 2009
Despite Nigeria being well endowed with God(Master), you as their servants elected leaders who dug a hole in their pockets instead of doing business and feeding your people.Despite your oil and other resources you havent done much where by the country is riddled with crime,poverty,corruption, tribalism, racism, secterianism etc. Of the ones i have written tell me which isnt true. unlike,

True!

poor Nigeria. She need a reprieve from her enslavers.

The GOVERNMENT!
Re: Pictures Of The Week (Ugly Side Of Lagos) by naliakar: 8:31pm On Jul 16, 2009
Kenyanstar is Nigerian. the slant in his/her argument is obvious. Intended to rile up gullible Naijas. Do not call Kenyanstar Kenyan. he no fit to represent Kenya
Re: Pictures Of The Week (Ugly Side Of Lagos) by ikeyman00(m): 8:52pm On Jul 16, 2009
^^^^take back that kenya shit

we nigeria dnt need it!
Re: Pictures Of The Week (Ugly Side Of Lagos) by pz(m): 6:25pm On Jul 17, 2009
These pix are real and true, the bad side. ok. what about the good side abi e no dey?
Re: Pictures Of The Week (Ugly Side Of Lagos) by bidemi12(m): 6:30pm On Sep 17, 2009
God fear catch me!!!!! So naija no change at all? which kain thing be this? are you sure this pictures are current? May God help us
Re: Pictures Of The Week (Ugly Side Of Lagos) by Lucasbalo(m): 2:24pm On Nov 27, 2012
Eko o no baje.
Re: Pictures Of The Week (Ugly Side Of Lagos) by Nobody: 11:25am On Jul 15, 2015
almondjoy:
And the beautification of Lagos continues!

Oh sweet, sweet wind! cheesy

Na dorty be all this? shocked Even most villages in Nigeria look better than this eye sore!

Once a Gigantic Capital of the Giant of Africa!!!!

God bless America~~~~~~~!!!!!

Please can anyone post other pictures from any famous "world ghettos" to put Nigeria and Fashola to shame? tongue
Silly
Re: Pictures Of The Week (Ugly Side Of Lagos) by meobizy(f): 9:57pm On May 24, 2019
Why only Lagos?
Where are the Abuja and Port Harcourt editions?

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Passengers Robbed Mid-Air On-board A South African Airways Flight / Air Niugini Plane Lands In The Ocean, Overshoots Runway In Micronesia / Foetus Blocking FlySafair Plane’s Toilet In South Africa Found By Cleaner

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.