Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,572 members, 7,816,406 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:45 AM

Pictures Of The Week (Ugly Side Of Lagos) - Travel (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Pictures Of The Week (Ugly Side Of Lagos) (31865 Views)

Poll: Do you support the public posting of these pictures?

Yes: it's the reality!: 90% (233 votes)
No: we must pretend!: 9% (24 votes)
This poll has ended

Photo Of Lagos Traffic In 1982 / 10 Unbelievable Photos Of Lagos You Will Mistake For London / Pictures of Lagos Skyline (City-Scape) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pictures Of The Week (Ugly Side Of Lagos) by naijaway(m): 6:30am On Dec 12, 2007
Oh my God. Egin, nice pix men. We(nigerians) really need to spend more time being constructive than destructive and dats all I can think about looking at those two pix. Check out some of the ways others celebrate christmas. http://travel.msn.com//Guides/MSNTravelSlideShow.aspx?cp-documentid=439691&imageindex=10

I like ours but there are some other very intresting things here.
Re: Pictures Of The Week (Ugly Side Of Lagos) by seguno2: 9:46am On Dec 12, 2007
@herbsman
-Soludo is a home-grown professor who is doing right except for the slip on redenomination of naira.
I reject that my heritage is lawless leaders and followers who allow their society to rot away slowly. Criticising and pointing fingers is very good to make our (s)elected REPRESENTATIVES at all levels know why they earn a salary FROM US and get down to do the job for which they are paid. That is why oyinbo country dey good so tey when we steal our brethren blind finish na dia we dey carry the money go hide.
All this MUNGUN mentality never tire u You pay someone to do a job, he doesn't but rather takes off with your money and you reward him with respect, honour, praise, chieftaincy titles etc. etc.
The post is clearly titled UGLY side of Lagos, if you are so concerned you can start a new thread on BEAUTIFUL side of Lagos and start posting pictures, just don't post 1960/70s photos.
@ademiller
Most of those countries where them "use tax and kill the citizens" have very happy contented citizens who feel proud and honoured with their passports anywhere in d world. And they have the option of voting out those who tax them too much or relocating permanently to another country.
I hope you realise that no one is bound to any country. Even the Yorubas are said to have migrated from the Middle East.
Re: Pictures Of The Week (Ugly Side Of Lagos) by ademiller(f): 9:50am On Dec 12, 2007
herbsman:

I av noticed that most of the present generation of Nigerians below 45years, are too critical of govt at all levels.

I agree that their impact is not being felt and chop n quench na them corporate Logo.These trend no longer shocks me and I will advice we close our eyes to Lamentation without a concise, pro-active solution.

Our Gurus from fields of sciences$humanities must continue to relocate back home to share knowlegde n experience acquired in their respective fields.This will foster economic growth and development.

We av seen the exodus of Soludo,Iweala from the US.n many more who are working on n behind the stage to re-engineer Nigeria.
the efforts av paid off.They too lamented n took part in the on-going reconstruction process.

Egin dey feel like Mungo Park(who we paddled to show the RIVER NIGER).The pics are not educating n am not shying away from the reality.He is mocking his heritage.

A balanced array of pics would av been acceptable.Whereby, he shows the Good,the Bad n the Ugly n leave us to make our judgement. Every country has a ghetto that is worse off than the pics shown up there.

Thank u herbsman, now u r thinkin the same way i am.@babadee,now u can c its not all bout patriotism
Re: Pictures Of The Week (Ugly Side Of Lagos) by ademiller(f): 10:15am On Dec 12, 2007
@segun undecided
@ herbsman, tell em my dear.ur the man. kiss
Re: Pictures Of The Week (Ugly Side Of Lagos) by egin(m): 12:41pm On Dec 12, 2007
If you are still not convinced what visionary leaders can do, then check out these clips.
http://60minutes.yahoo.com/segment/101/dubai

In Nigeria there is too much noise and nothing concrete on the ground to justify our enormous income.
Nigerians deserve better than what we have right now.
Re: Pictures Of The Week (Ugly Side Of Lagos) by herbsman(m): 9:00pm On Dec 12, 2007
@seguno
I am a Felaist and a Bob Marlerian, so ur approach to the Nigerian cause is not new.
Fela and Bob Marley don teach me say: Na old news be all that.Wake up n understand that LOOTED FUNDS does not belong to you.(dt does not mean dt i support pilfering)Quote ur Tax code and agency revenue code.U pay tax grin

For the records, Soludo is not a home grown professor.U call Soludo's redenomination a Slip.The govt. withdrew the policy for sentimental reasons.
If $1Million dollars is brought into ds economy 2day, it turns to N[s][/s]123Million naira.What does that do to an economy growing at about 7% annually.I GUESS, u're not versed in micro n macro economics. He noticed that most of the economic imbalances are brought about by this exchange rate.The pics are enticing n u want nigeria to look like that,
Na siddon and lament look go do am.

By now u should understand dt any change in govt. policy is bound to affect stakeholders positively or otherwise.They lobbied n won.

Starting a thread as u suggested to me is inane.
@egin
U mean say psychotic sniper no dey 4 the roof top of ur dream pics. :PThese are great shots no lies, are these structures built by the govt lipsrsealed

Ol boy, PPP(Public n Private Participation) na him u dey post im pics.Govt in western countries av no business buildn sky-scrappers.Na entrepreneurs, estate developers, conglomerates,firms etc dt does that.

Zenith Bank gave Ajose Adeogun street a face lift.They did not wait for LASG to provide all the basic infrastructure.Jim Ovia went ahead to provide it.The aerial view of Ajose Adeogun is more beautiful to me and a part of my heritage.
Leave criticisms to pressure groups: NLC,TUC,n other affiliates.

Pick a pen n write down what u intend to contribute to jump-start the economy,n start implementing.Chinese and Indians did not post obscene pics of their country n now applaud western coutries.These two economies are at turbo speed challenging other world powers in Bio-organics,Medicine,I.T.,etc.
For your consumption,the individuals and not the govt. came together to chart a new economic direction.

Lets synergize n move the country forward.
Re: Pictures Of The Week (Ugly Side Of Lagos) by ademiller(f): 10:32am On Dec 13, 2007
@ herbs man. U are really tellin these guys the truth of what they dont wanna know. All they can do is copy and paste, without thinkin wat the pics can do to this country. Nigeria is beautiful, and since or leaders are daft we dont have to follow them and b daft and wait up,We too can make things happen.
Re: Pictures Of The Week (Ugly Side Of Lagos) by herbsman(m): 9:55pm On Dec 13, 2007
@ademiller
All I believe we need is to put the dirty past behind us.There are so many things we av achieved and can be said is a foundation for a great future.

Some months ago, a brigde collasped in the DEVELOPED U.S. of A. My respect for U.S. capitalism did not waiver.Also,
that does translate to the Ugly pictures Pictures of Yankee. Selective criticisms has never built any civilization.

I hope my friends take a cue from Mandela who agreed and faced the reality that, it was easier to lead the struggle for independence and governing the people isnt an easy task.

We can make Nigeria work.
Re: Pictures Of The Week (Ugly Side Of Lagos) by foryou(m): 10:00pm On Dec 13, 2007
see the pic u go post on nairaland una no dey shame?
Re: Pictures Of The Week (Ugly Side Of Lagos) by nedujizzy(m): 10:25am On Dec 14, 2007
after going through all those naija pictures,if i tell you that am not ashamed beeing a Nigerian then i would be the greatest liar of all time,it is really pathetic.
Re: Pictures Of The Week (Ugly Side Of Lagos) by dot2002(m): 5:32pm On Dec 14, 2007
How could those women even dreamt of having babies like rats?? living in such squalor and decay? God must punish those women and the men that dare c'um inside them!.
Re: Pictures Of The Week (Ugly Side Of Lagos) by Nobody: 5:57am On Dec 15, 2007
really awful sight
Re: Pictures Of The Week (Ugly Side Of Lagos) by Volumetric: 11:55am On Dec 18, 2007
Egin,

From what I feel about ur user name, you must be from Ondo Town. When people like you condemn Nigeria, how can things get better. The U.S did not attain greatness overnite. Some of us still believe in Nigeria and know that Nigeria will be better. Its would have been better if you come and lets reshape Nigeria together. I believe that GOD is passing Nigeria at the moment.
Re: Pictures Of The Week (Ugly Side Of Lagos) by egin(m): 12:42pm On Dec 18, 2007
Volumetric:

Egin,

From what I feel about your user name, you must be from Ondo Town. When people like you condemn Nigeria, how can things get better. The US did not attain greatness overnite. Some of us still believe in Nigeria and know that Nigeria will be better. Its would have been better if you come and lets reshape Nigeria together. I believe that GOD is passing Nigeria at the moment.

Can you tell meanwhere in this thread where I condemned Nigeria? I only asked you to judge.
Your point about the US does not hold water. I have been hearing that since I was a teenager. Nigeria is a young nation. We are 47 years old - those are some of the  reasons some shallow thinking people will want you believe are responsible for Nigeria's underdevelopment.
God is not going to come down to improve things in Nigeria. We need visionary leaders that mean well for Nigeria and Nigerians. Where I come does not really matter.
Re: Pictures Of The Week (Ugly Side Of Lagos) by Bomi(m): 7:47pm On Dec 18, 2007
Dear Nairalanders,
Pls let us just sit for once and think! What happen to Nigeria? A country that pride herself of the like of Wole Soyinka, Chinua Achebe and the lot. What happen half of international road like Sango Ota Road converted to market, Loading park right on the road!
To even think further, you know The local Government Chairman and his councillors pass that road daily! Even the state government at least in a week, then the former President with all the who is who in Nigeria lobbying for contract, post and the rest! What happen to Nigeria is that when this caliber of people pass they close their eyes!
My friend posit that since the road did not require awarding of contract then it not noticed. Eve our journalists did not think is important! An International road for that matter! Please enlighten me it seem am the only sane person around!
PLEASE HELP ME!
Re: Pictures Of The Week (Ugly Side Of Lagos) by herbsman(m): 9:58pm On Dec 18, 2007
@Egin,Egin,Egin,
Ow many times i call u cry

U CLAIM NOT TO KNOW WHERE U CONDEMM YA COUNTRY.
'
d person wey shit don 4get, but we wey dey pack am no go gree'

U started mis-representing and condemming Nigeria as a whole with the Opening Topic, Ur Ugly pics, n comparative great shots of God knows where.

U want those visionary leaders u've clamoured for to come down from heaven .

In the History of the U.S.A, did Abraham Lincoln, write or post in any journal 'Ugly side of Illinois'

U're part of those visionary leaders and u need to brace up for that role.
Re: Pictures Of The Week (Ugly Side Of Lagos) by egin(m): 1:59am On Dec 19, 2007
herbsman:

@Egin,Egin,Egin,
Ow many times i call u cry

You CLAIM NOT TO KNOW WHERE You CONDEMN YA COUNTRY.
'
d person wey shit don forget, but we wey dey pack am no go gree'

You started mis-representing and condemning Nigeria as a whole with the Opening Topic, your Ugly pics, n comparative great shots of God knows where.

You want those visionary leaders u've clamoured for to come down from heaven .

In the History of the USA, did Abraham Lincoln, write or post in any journal 'Ugly side of Illinois'

You're part of those visionary leaders and u need to brace up for that role.

Why can't you leave the US or any of the developed nations out of this and focus on Nigeria.
Whatever is done to develop Nigeria will be part of history but so far not much is been done to develop the country and the Nigerian people despite our enormous resources. I still stand by my point, we need visionary leaders. I did not condemn Nigeria. Read the thread again or ask somebody to do that for you.
Re: Pictures Of The Week (Ugly Side Of Lagos) by femi4love(m): 12:59pm On Dec 19, 2007
I support "Egin" 1000 times over. Not because I am from Ondo Town myself grin (I am very proud of it anyway), but because where there's no vision (or selfless visionary), the people perish. The problem with Nigeria as we all know is not making money, but how the money is spent. The Nigerian general mentality is that of "poverty" which has made most of our leaders very greedy. Most of our stupid past leaders were not visionaries, because a visionary will not stack billions of dollars/GBP in foreign accounts when the people he/she leads live in abject poverty, with no basic ammenity available to them. Nigeria has the pontential of being the greatest country on earth if the leaders had allowed it.
Re: Pictures Of The Week (Ugly Side Of Lagos) by herbsman(m): 11:42pm On Dec 19, 2007
@eGIN
well I see u as a 'DAGBORU' .Since u started ds thread, I perceived a man passionate about failure in all its ramifications.

I wanted to sell the idea of nation-building thru positive vibrations,and pronouncements providing living examples to situations in Nigeria.Yet, all u want to say na 'lack of visionary leaders'.U're a pessimist.

Read thru my submissions on ds thread of urs and educate ur debased mind.

N to ur OndoAlliance partner.
Re: Pictures Of The Week (Ugly Side Of Lagos) by Cosjo(m): 4:08pm On Dec 20, 2007
Why cant you people show the good side of Lagos?
Re: Pictures Of The Week (Ugly Side Of Lagos) by egin(m): 9:49pm On Dec 20, 2007
Cosjo:

Why can't you people show the good side of Lagos?
You can start a thread that shows the "good side of Lagos" if there is one.
herbsman:

@eGIN
well I see u as a 'DAGBORU' .Since u started ds thread, I perceived a man passionate about failure in all its ramifications.

I wanted to sell the idea of nation-building through positive vibrations,and pronouncements providing living examples to situations in Nigeria.Yet, all u want to say na 'lack of visionary leaders'.You're a pessimist.

Read through my submissions on ds thread of urs and educate your debased mind.

N to your OndoAlliance partner.

Optimism in the absence of any meaningful development? The contents of your postings tell a lot about you.
Re: Pictures Of The Week (Ugly Side Of Lagos) by herbsman(m): 10:12am On Dec 21, 2007
let me av a clear defination of 'Meaningful Development' cos I know that many structures that were not available in 1999 are being resurrected gradually. Maybe dt will shine light on the dark areas for you.

Am open to Nation Building and Fuckn Optimistic bout it.
Re: Pictures Of The Week (Ugly Side Of Lagos) by question(m): 5:23pm On Dec 23, 2007
Hosea 4:6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge, I will also reject thee, that thou shalt be no priest to me: seeing thou hast forgotten the law of thy God, I will also forget thy children.
Re: Pictures Of The Week (Ugly Side Of Lagos) by oziomatv(m): 7:42pm On Dec 28, 2007
question:

Hosea 4:6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge, I will also reject thee, that thou shalt be no priest to me: seeing thou hast forgotten the law of thy God, I will also forget thy children.

@question
Are you adding another course to those courses we already had?
Re: Pictures Of The Week (Ugly Side Of Lagos) by funmeme(f): 10:28am On Jan 23, 2008
no!
Re: Pictures Of The Week (Ugly Side Of Lagos) by sleekmike(m): 4:21pm On Jan 23, 2008
Who has more of these pictures please. i need them
Re: Pictures Of The Week (Ugly Side Of Lagos) by idonland(m): 8:38pm On Jan 23, 2008
For those who think the US is a bed of roses its not, there are areas here where the poverty is running rampant too, where houses are falling apart where kids go hungry, its not as noticable here because of how big the country is but if the united states were to shrink and have as many people as Nigeria does people will then see how bad things really are in this country.

If you dont believe me take a trip down to the south, drive through alabama, mississippi, louisiana and some other southern states.
Re: Pictures Of The Week (Ugly Side Of Lagos) by idonland(m): 8:47pm On Jan 23, 2008
Also i believe we are where we are as a country due to mismanagement in the last 20years, the blame doesnt lie only on our leaders, it is the duty of the people who see a leader going wrong to speak up and let him know that they will not sit down and watch their futures be ruined. We have all failed as a people, we all sat back and enjoyed the stolen money, or the perks of having a corrupt society. I know a lot of people who say they never stole any money but yet they didnt pay their taxes, or they didnt do the little things that was required of them. Even the little things like following people to go on the wrong side of the street it all adds up to our me first mentality. We are all guilty of cutting corners so let us stop pointing fingers and turn towards ourselves and make a change from within, only then will our society start to improve.
Re: Pictures Of The Week (Ugly Side Of Lagos) by Mustay(m): 1:19am On Mar 10, 2008
Lagos govt has BEAUTIFICATION OF LAGOS as her agenda in the LAGOS MEGACITY project cool grin
Re: Pictures Of The Week (Ugly Side Of Lagos) by Kobojunkie: 1:32am On Mar 10, 2008
Mustay:

Lagos govt has BEAUTIFICATION OF LAGOS as her agenda in the LAGOS MEGACITY project cool grin

This Beautification of Lagos plan has been on her agenda for almost a year now. We need progress report. How far has the plan come?? What has been implemented??
Re: Pictures Of The Week (Ugly Side Of Lagos) by Mustay(m): 1:59am On Mar 10, 2008
That the AGENDA is an important issue to her needs to be commended 'cos in the past, previous govts had only done this in theory rather than in pratical.

Presently, this 'beautification' is going on at the ISland and the state secretariat while other basic infastrucutres like roads, etc are going on in other places.

Truth be written - most of us need to change our orientation! Some peeps don't appreciate these projects. They just wanna live DIRTY angry angry

e.g

Govt Tasks Prisons Service over Vandalisation

Lagos

Lagos state government at the weekend challenged the Nigerian Prisons Service (NPS) to live up to its responsibilities by protecting government facilities within its domain.
The state commissioner for environment, Dr Muiz Banire gave the task while speaking against the backdrop of the vandalisation of beautification sites along the Prison barracks fence on Awolowo road in Ikoyi by persons suspected to be prison officials.
sad
It would be recalled that government recently demolished all the shanties/shops attached to the barracks fence along the road in a bid to pave way for the landscaping and beautification of the road setback.
Apparently not happy with the demolition of the shanties and shops which were hitherto used by warders and their wives for trading, some suspected prison officials were alleged to have stormed the beautification sites in the early hours of last Thursday to destroy the work so far done.
When confronted with the allegation by an official of the state government in charge of the project, the Deputy Controller of Prisons in Lagos was said to have denied that his men wrecked the havoc.

He allegedly put the blame on people who use the area as social joints in the night even as he was said to have turneddown the request to get his men keep watch over the project.
Speaking on the development weekend, Dr Banire asked the Prison authorities to go beyond watching their hands clean of the vandalisation by ensuring government projects located within their vicinity are well secured.
According to him, “since the project is for the benefit of the prison service and the generality of the people of Lagos, the service should go beyond denying knowledge or complicity in the vandalisation to keeping an eye on the project. It’s hard to believe that outsiders will come to the prison’s vicinity to destroy government project without any of the officials on guard apprehending them.”
Re: Pictures Of The Week (Ugly Side Of Lagos) by vampire(m): 2:19am On Mar 10, 2008
yes we must show it

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Bayelsa The Pride Of The Nation (pictures) / Heavy Food In Benin City After Today's Rainfall (Photos) / Passengers Robbed Mid-Air On-board A South African Airways Flight

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.