Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,740 members, 7,824,135 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:05 AM

BMW Owners' Forum - Car Talk (33) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / BMW Owners' Forum (231054 Views)

Honda CRV Owners Forum / Nissan Xterra Owners Forum / Kia Owners Forum (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) ... (93) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: BMW Owners' Forum by neverever10: 9:56pm On Oct 27, 2015
Lads

A fan of BMW in the house I use 523i petrol 2005 the only problem I have is petrol consumption but I don't care, car in a very good condition. Engine performance is boom so much power so much comfort when driving considering the asphalt road we have here (Europe) traveling can never be this easier...never touched the engine since I bought it just start and drive
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by GidisFinest: 4:36pm On Oct 29, 2015
Please where can I get runflats in Lagos? I need to change all my four tires... Just got the 2007 330i grin Old but I'm Loving this car
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by xerotop(m): 6:12pm On Oct 29, 2015
GidisFinest:
Please where can I get runflats in Lagos? I need to change all my four tires... Just got the 2007 330i grin Old but I'm Loving this car

330i not available for '07. It was discontinued after '06.
'07 has 335i and 328i.

As for the run flats, when they are worn. Get normal tires. And a spare for your ride.
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by yungboss(m): 10:35am On Oct 30, 2015
xerotop:

'07 has 335i and 328i.

As for the run flats, when they are worn. Get normal tires. And a spare for your ride.

hey xerotop, please join us in the whatsapp group...
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by yungboss(m): 10:37am On Oct 30, 2015
xerotop:

'07 has 335i and 328i.

why did you suggest 'normal tyres'? You meant he discontinues the use of run flats?
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by xerotop(m): 2:35pm On Oct 30, 2015
yungboss:

why did you suggest 'normal tyres'? You meant he discontinues the use of run flats?

@ youngboss. How u doin sir?. Been sometime.
My suggestion for normal tires is after the run flat is worn out.
I actually tot it cld be a lil difficult getting the runflats here.
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by Nobody: 8:28pm On Oct 30, 2015
@GidisFinest You may have to order run flats online

I use a 2002 E46 318i and sometimes notice a symbol like an exclamation mark within a cog wheel by the gear indicator. After it appears, within 5minutes of driving, my ac stops cooling, the radio goes off, and the car starts to idle roughly and won't accelerate/rev even when I depress the gas pedal after which the car goes off. It won't come on till I jumpstart. The car then operates normally till I turn on the ac for a while, use my headlights or both.

I noticed this after I hit a bump sometime last week.

My battery "magic eye" is black, but the battery is less than one year old. I suggest the charging system is faulty, but how do I know for sure?

Has anyone experienced this?
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by lobell: 10:29pm On Oct 30, 2015
noxide:

I use a 2002 E46 318i and sometimes notice a symbol like an exclamation mark within a cog wheel by the gear indicator. After it appears, within 5minutes of driving, my ac stops cooling, the radio goes off, and the car starts to idle roughly and won't accelerate/rev even when I depress the gas pedal after which the car goes off. It won't come on till I jumpstart. The car then operates normally till I turn on the ac for a while, use my headlights or both.

My battery "magic eye" is black, but the battery is less than one year old. I suggest the charging system is faulty, but how do I know for sure?

you need to check your gearbox asap. I believe you are loosing oil or hopefully nothing more than that. your check engine light should also be on...try to get a scan...this will give a good idea whats wrong...but all said and done I'm leaning towards leaky oil or busted transmission cooler leading to water in transmission and atf in coolant. hurry before your transmission dies...you don't want to spend money buying a replacement. cheers.
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by yungboss(m): 8:53am On Oct 31, 2015
noxide:

sorry about what happened to you...but i'd replace my battery first before anything else. But prior to this, check the output voltage from the battery under normal working condition.
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by Nobody: 9:10am On Nov 01, 2015
lobell:

you need to check your gearbox asap. I believe you are loosing oil or hopefully nothing more than that. your check engine light should also be on...try to get a scan...this will give a good idea whats wrong...but all said and done I'm leaning towards leaky oil or busted transmission cooler leading to water in transmission and atf in coolant. hurry before your transmission dies...you don't want to spend money buying a replacement. cheers.

Well my coolant level has been normal and the transmission has no dipstick to check ATF levels (Germans!) The procedure to do that was explained in the service manual and I have to get under the car (darn Germans!!!). The good news is my CEL is off.

From what you said I believe my transmission is OK, cos I'm not in a hurry to crawl under the car.
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by Nobody: 9:13am On Nov 01, 2015
yungboss:

sorry about what happened to you...but i'd replace my battery first before anything else. But prior to this, check the output voltage from the battery under normal working condition.

Was unable to get a voltmeter to test the battery and charging system yesterday, but I'll keep searching?

Meanwhile I have to get a new battery before year end. Currently have an 88Ah Hankook battery installed. Will a 100Ah battery suffice? Is there any preferred brand?
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by lobell: 10:20am On Nov 01, 2015
noxide:

Well my coolant level has been normal and the transmission has no dipstick to check ATF levels (Germans!) The procedure to do that was explained in the service manual and I have to get under the car (darn Germans!!!). The good news is my CEL is off.

From what you said I believe my transmission is OK, cos I'm not in a hurry to crawl under the car.
Good to know you're sorted. Meanwhile there's a bmw whatsapp forum you could join if you like. The bosses are here and can do the needful if you drop your number. Cheers.
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by Nobody: 6:14pm On Nov 01, 2015
lobell:

Good to know you're sorted. Meanwhile there's a bmw whatsapp forum you could join if you like. The bosses are here and can do the needful if you drop your number. Cheers.

Modified

Though I prefer this forum, won't mind joining the group wink
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by davidhoop: 6:22pm On Nov 01, 2015
xerotop:

'07 has 335i and 328i.

Got some run flats from my 318i- if your interested. 08023016921
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by chinene1(f): 10:23pm On Nov 06, 2015
Hi everyone, thank God for a thread like this. Please advice me. I bought a 2003 clk 2 door Benz from a friend. He wanted to upgrade so I seized the opportunity. We worked in the same office so I knew that the car was okay cos he was always driving it to work. At the beginning the car was fine but after parking it for like 3 months ( although I warm the engine daily and drive it within the area) the car developed issues. When I try accelerating whether am in motion or at a spot the car sounds like it's struggling then the engine cuts off or it becomes so slow no matter how much the press down. Sometimes when I restart the car it acts fine for another 30 minutes then starts acting up again. To cut the long story short 3 mechanics one of which was the mechanic working with the car from day one, three filter and pump changes, change of plugs (4 plug engine), ejector cleaning etc the problem persist. The annoying thing is the car will perform okay for about 2 weeks then the problem starts again. The fuel Guage has issues as it does not give a correct reading but I don't think this is the cause. Anyone with experience please help. Am already thinking of selling it again less than 6 months after purchase.
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by erico2k2(m): 11:21pm On Nov 06, 2015
chinene1:
Hi everyone, thank God for a thread like this. Please advice me. I bought a 2003 clk 2 door Benz from a friend. He wanted to upgrade so I seized the opportunity. We worked in the same office so I knew that the car was okay cos he was always driving it to work. At the beginning the car was fine but after parking it for like 3 months ( although I warm the engine daily and drive it within the area) the car developed issues. When I try accelerating whether am in motion or at a spot the car sounds like it's struggling then the engine cuts off or it becomes so slow no matter how much the press down. Sometimes when I restart the car it acts fine for another 30 minutes then starts acting up again. To cut the long story short 3 mechanics one of which was the mechanic working with the car from day one, three filter and pump changes, change of plugs (4 plug engine), ejector cleaning etc the problem persist. The annoying thing is the car will perform okay for about 2 weeks then the problem starts again. The fuel Guage has issues as it does not give a correct reading but I don't think this is the cause. Anyone with experience please help. Am already thinking of selling it again less than 6 months after purchase.
Go and scan ur car and come back with the codes, its would be a quick and easy fix
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by Shagati(m): 11:23pm On Nov 06, 2015
chinene1:
Hi everyone, thank God for a thread like this. Please advice me. I bought a 2003 clk 2 door Benz............ Am already thinking of selling it again less than 6 months after purchase.

Is it the facelifted 2003 CLK?
How much do you want to sell?
Please upload pictures to aid our buying decision.
Thank you.

Ps: This is a BMW Owners thread. wink
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by lobell: 9:18am On Nov 07, 2015
chinene1:

Have the MAF and/or oxygen sensors replaced...or better yet get it scanned first.
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by chinene1(f): 11:32am On Nov 07, 2015
Will do so tomorrow. Thanks.
erico2k2:

Go and scan ur car and come back with the codes, its would be a quick and easy fix
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by chinene1(f): 11:33am On Nov 07, 2015
lobell:

Have the MAF and/or oxygen sensors replaced...or better yet get it scanned first.

Will tell the mechanic coming to take a look. I will still scan it.
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by chinene1(f): 11:34am On Nov 07, 2015
Shagati:

Is it the facelifted 2003 CLK?
How much do you want to sell?
Please upload pictures to aid our buying decision.
Thank you.

Ps: This is a BMW Owners thread. wink

Lol. Cool down.
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by Nobody: 10:44pm On Nov 08, 2015
The previous problem has not happened again since I complained here. I did nothing to fix it, only made sure my battery is firmly connected.

Any BMW Ac tech in the house?

The gas in my Ac is low, only cooling from the driver's vents. I could smell some gas from the low pressure valve in the engine bay so I think that's the leak point.

I saw a YouTube video where the valve was changed using a special tool that keeps the remaining gas intact, and won't let air in. The procedure looks very simple and if I get the necessary tools I can get it done in my free time

The way I've seen valves changed here allows air into the system. The air is not removed and freon is pumped in - Bad move

Has anyone heard of the tool I described?
What's the name?
Where can I get it?

Where can I get an Ac pressure gauge? - so I don't overcharge
An Ac vaccum pump? - incase I need to change my drier or somehow let in air.

Bonus question: I smeel something burning when the Ac is on soon after I start the car. Smell goes away if I drive for ~4 mins. Any idea what could be wrong?
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by say4gunit(m): 11:22pm On Nov 08, 2015
Tnx
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by GidisFinest: 1:48pm On Nov 10, 2015
You re right bro, wanted to write "06" 92368]

'07 has 335i and 328i.

As for the run flats, when they are worn. Get normal tires. And a spare for your ride.[/quote]
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by XerXesNG(m): 3:21pm On Nov 10, 2015
GidisFinest:
You re right bro, wanted to write "06" 92368]

'07 has 335i and 328i.

06 330i e90...nice.
Join the BMW whatsapp group?
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by GidisFinest: 1:48pm On Nov 11, 2015
08022529205... Thanks
XerXesNG:

06 330i e90...nice.
Join the BMW whatsapp group?
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by chinene1(f): 6:09pm On Nov 13, 2015
i guys, am back. So I tell the mechanic to check the airflow meter, coils and oxygen stuff. He did but no visible problem then he decides to check the pumps and found out it was blocked. He said the problem could be coming from within the tank so he has to drop it and check as the pumps were very dirty when he checked them. I sort of believe him cos the fuel Gauge can really misbehave. When I start the car sometimes it's shows empty when there is fuel then corrects the reading and other times it does not read below half a tank even when I know am running close to reserve . Waiting to what the outcome will be.
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by erico2k2(m): 11:31am On Nov 15, 2015
noxide:
The previous problem has not happened again since I complained here. I did nothing to fix it, only made sure my battery is firmly connected.

Any BMW Ac tech in the house?

The gas in my Ac is low, only cooling from the driver's vents. I could smell some gas from the low pressure valve in the engine bay so I think that's the leak point.

I saw a YouTube video where the valve was changed using a special tool that keeps the remaining gas intact, and won't let air in. The procedure looks very simple and if I get the necessary tools I can get it done in my free time

The way I've seen valves changed here allows air into the system. The air is not removed and freon is pumped in - Bad move

Has anyone heard of the tool I described?
What's the name?
Where can I get it?

Where can I get an Ac pressure gauge? - so I don't overcharge
An Ac vaccum pump? - incase I need to change my drier or somehow let in air.

Bonus question: I smeel something burning when the Ac is on soon after I start the car. Smell goes away if I drive for ~4 mins. Any idea what could be wrong?
Try and get a youtube account created, and the you can aske the poster of the clip waht the name of the tool is, thats waht I do.
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by erico2k2(m): 11:33am On Nov 15, 2015
chinene1:
i guys, am back. So I tell the mechanic to check the airflow meter, coils and oxygen stuff. He did but no visible problem then he decides to check the pumps and found out it was blocked. He said the problem could be coming from within the tank so he has to drop it and check as the pumps were very dirty when he checked them. I sort of believe him cos the fuel Gauge can really misbehave. When I start the car sometimes it's shows empty when there is fuel then corrects the reading and other times it does not read below half a tank even when I know am running close to reserve . Waiting to what the outcome will be.
THere was a reason we asked for Scan, No one can fix the problems without understanding waht it was, what you are now doing is throwing parts at it
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by Nobody: 2:03pm On Nov 15, 2015
erico2k2:

Try and get a youtube account created, and the you can aske the poster of the clip waht the name of the tool is, thats waht I do.

Thanks

I finally changed the leaking low pressure valve (all remaining gas was lost), added some compressor oil and two cans (390g × 2) freon - hired someone to do it. Ac didn't seem to work, but today it worked very well smiley

We neither used a pressure guage nor vacuum pump but I'm not worried about overcharging since the system takes 740 +/- 25g of freon. Fingers crossed
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by XerXesNG(m): 11:11am On Nov 17, 2015
Cool
noxide:

Thanks

I finally changed the leaking low pressure valve (all remaining gas was lost), added some compressor oil and two cans (390g × 2) freon - hired someone to do it. Ac didn't seem to work, but today it worked very well smiley

We neither used a pressure guage nor vacuum pump but I'm not worried about overcharging since the system takes 740 +/- 25g of freon. Fingers crossed
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by erico2k2(m): 2:57pm On Nov 17, 2015
noxide:

Thanks

I'm glad you are now sorted. Weldone

(1) (2) (3) ... (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) ... (93) (Reply)

Club-Lexus / Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! / The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.