Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,896 members, 7,817,642 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:09 PM

FG Engages Ghana On 'Trade Discrimination’ Against Nigerians - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / FG Engages Ghana On 'Trade Discrimination’ Against Nigerians (17301 Views)

See The Kind Of Business This Man Engages In To Take Care Of His Family(photo) / Mars Pool Ltd Week 31 Fraud Against Nigerians / Mars Pool Ltd Week 31 Fraud Against Nigerians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

FG Engages Ghana On 'Trade Discrimination’ Against Nigerians by mukina2: 12:11pm On Jul 20, 2012
The Federal Government says it is currently engaging the government of Ghana on the issue of a $300,000 fee demanded as capital base for people wishing to do business in Ghana.

The discrimination of Nigerian businessmen and women in Ghana has been reported increasingly in the past weeks with the Ghanaian side largely unapologetic for decisions made though claiming to be in tandem with free trade laws of the West African sub-region.

Martin Uhomoibhi, Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, made this disclosure in Abuja on Thursday while briefing journalists where he also noted that Ghana like Nigeria was a signatory to the ECOWAS Protocol on free movement of goods and services within the sub-region.

He explained, “The issue of $300,000 requirement to establish a business in Accra is a matter that is being seriously considered by the two governments at this time as we speak.

And what we’ve seen at this time is a remarkable degree of understanding and empathy and sympathy with all strands of this argument and the willingness by both sides to promote what is best for the sub-region, what is best for the continent and what is best for the two countries.

I am optimistic that the outcome will be successful. And that the best interest of our two peoples will be sustained.”

Uhomoibhi also used the forum to share highlights of the recently concluded high-leveled African Union (AU) summit, in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, informing of the decision by leaders of the AU to create a “continental free trade area” in the next five years.

This resolution, aimed at developing trade and commercial relations among African states, is in keeping with the AU Assembly’s strive to pursue singular theme each year.

Trade between African countries is relatively poor with regional countries trading more with nations in Europe, America and even Asia.

Uhomoibhi, however, said, “It remains to be seen whether the target date of 2017 for the take-off of the CFTA is realistic.

Considering the enormity of obstacles such as poor infrastructure, energy, communication, divergent policy frameworks etc that need to be overcome before a smooth take-off, Nigeria had called for caution and a gradual approach to Africa’s integration.”

http://www.businessdayonline.com/NG/index.php/news/76-hot-topic/41511-fg-engages-ghana-on-trade-discrimination-against-nigerians
Re: FG Engages Ghana On 'Trade Discrimination’ Against Nigerians by Redhot111(m): 2:07pm On Jul 20, 2012
Even small ghana don still dey bully us. I sori 4 nigeria

1 Like

Re: FG Engages Ghana On 'Trade Discrimination’ Against Nigerians by tonyx4x44(m): 2:08pm On Jul 20, 2012
Omo Ghana dey form big boy o!
Re: FG Engages Ghana On 'Trade Discrimination’ Against Nigerians by ifihearam: 2:09pm On Jul 20, 2012
If Nigeria is habitable for businesses with every good thing in place,what gives common Ghana the effrontery to tax us 300k$$ before starting up a business. The most annoying thing is that ghana only have steady power supply that's phuckin all.
Re: FG Engages Ghana On 'Trade Discrimination’ Against Nigerians by bigdoo: 2:12pm On Jul 20, 2012
Ghana people hate Nigerians with a passion. I cannot tell you enough about my experience with them in London either at workplace or in business. I would never go to Ghana to do business as a Nigerian.

3 Likes

Re: FG Engages Ghana On 'Trade Discrimination’ Against Nigerians by hammedkola(m): 2:13pm On Jul 20, 2012
Passing!!!
Re: FG Engages Ghana On 'Trade Discrimination’ Against Nigerians by Nobody: 2:16pm On Jul 20, 2012
The area I stay in PH, power supply is relatively steady, once in a while we have 23 hours light steady , on a bad day 18-21 hours light and once in a blue moon 24 hours.its been like this for months and it only gets bad when there is a fault. Nigeria is gradually getting there, let ghana be dere forming

1 Like

Re: FG Engages Ghana On 'Trade Discrimination’ Against Nigerians by kaiter: 2:17pm On Jul 20, 2012
Great thread [img]http://www.lzxin.info/g.php[/img]
Re: FG Engages Ghana On 'Trade Discrimination’ Against Nigerians by SisiKill1: 2:19pm On Jul 20, 2012
Shouldn't they work on making Nigeria conducive for Businesses instead of taking Ghanaians to task for setting ground rules on how businesses are conducted in their own country?

1 Like

Re: FG Engages Ghana On 'Trade Discrimination’ Against Nigerians by Nobody: 2:23pm On Jul 20, 2012
Until Nigeria begin to hold their leaders to their duties and responsibilities. Until we begin to challenge our corrupt leaders, and fight for changes expect worse from these countries.
Re: FG Engages Ghana On 'Trade Discrimination’ Against Nigerians by Walecole74: 2:27pm On Jul 20, 2012
Ghana of all countries? Thousands of them were in Naija fews years ago and they were shown all the love they accorded. Well good way to pay us back.

1 Like

Re: FG Engages Ghana On 'Trade Discrimination’ Against Nigerians by SmoothCrim: 2:37pm On Jul 20, 2012
Why can't you Boko's follow the laws.

Free movement does not mean you can do whatever you want in another man's county! Do I got to Goodluck's presidential palace and poop on the floor while calling it free movement grin grin grin grin grin The rules are set in stone and have been on the books for 20+ years! When you twats learn to follow them you will enjoy in Ghana but, until then learn to follow them. grin grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: FG Engages Ghana On 'Trade Discrimination’ Against Nigerians by Curiouscity(m): 2:37pm On Jul 20, 2012
ifihearam: If Nigeria is habitable for businesses with every good thing in place,what gives common Ghana the effrontery to tax us 300k$$ before starting up a business. The most annoying thing is that ghana only have steady power supply that's phuckin all.

Guy, read well. The article said '$300K capital base', not tax.
I know d word 'tax' gives most Nigerians headaches, yet we want everything good.

3 Likes

Re: FG Engages Ghana On 'Trade Discrimination’ Against Nigerians by SmoothCrim: 2:38pm On Jul 20, 2012
Walecole74: Ghana of all countries? Thousands of them were in Naija fews years ago and they were shown all the love they accorded. Well good way to pay us back.

And a few years before that thousands of Naija's were sent packing... grin grin grin grin grin

You see, at least we did it within the law back then while your Boko gov. just randomly deported and STOLE peoples property!!!

You called it the greatest day in the post colonial history of your country Nigga-Area(Nigeria) and named a bag after it! Ghana must GO! You yelled grin grin grin grin

After that you better always follow the laws when in Ghana!!!

Otherwise I will sh1t in Goodlucks palace and call it free movement!!

3 Likes

Re: FG Engages Ghana On 'Trade Discrimination’ Against Nigerians by Nobody: 2:39pm On Jul 20, 2012
I think the are paying us back in our own coin...'ghana-must-go' was a blessing in disguise

1 Like

Re: FG Engages Ghana On 'Trade Discrimination’ Against Nigerians by SmoothCrim: 2:41pm On Jul 20, 2012
binger: I think the are paying us back in our own coin...'ghana-must-go' was a blessing in disguise
As was the Alien Compliance Order in 1969/1970! grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: FG Engages Ghana On 'Trade Discrimination’ Against Nigerians by gst101: 2:41pm On Jul 20, 2012
ifihearam: If Nigeria is habitable for businesses with every good thing in place,what gives common Ghana the effrontery to tax us 300k$$ before starting up a business. The most annoying thing is that ghana only have steady power supply that's phuckin all.
you are not been truthful. The reason nigerians are going to ghana isnt becos of power or infrastructure (becos we have them more). we provide power for ourselves and our infrastrutures are bigger and better (with so much respect to ghana). The reason we are going out is becos we need to explore more frontiers where there is no saturation. Do you know how saturated the informal sector is in naija?

5 Likes

Re: FG Engages Ghana On 'Trade Discrimination’ Against Nigerians by SmoothCrim: 2:43pm On Jul 20, 2012
gst101: you are not been truthful. The reason nigerians are going to ghana isnt becos of power or infrastructure (becos we have them more). we provide power for ourselves and our infrastrutures are bigger and better (with so much respect to ghana). The reason we are going out is becos we need to explore more frontiers where there is no saturation. Do you know how saturated the informal sector is in naija?

IN your dreams! Why not take that investment to Northern Nigeria!!! grin grin grin wink

I hear they want some churches built there.

3 Likes

Re: FG Engages Ghana On 'Trade Discrimination’ Against Nigerians by manny4life(m): 2:52pm On Jul 20, 2012
gst101: you are not been truthful. The reason nigerians are going to ghana isnt becos of power or infrastructure (becos we have them more). we provide power for ourselves and our infrastrutures are bigger and better (with so much respect to ghana). The reason we are going out is becos we need to explore more frontiers where there is no saturation. Do you know how saturated the informal sector is in naija?

I think that's absolutely incorrect. Nigeria has a population of 160million+ people, that's a enormous economic advantage compared to other African nations. If things were in place, and things were done RIGHT like other nations, what other frontier are you seeking from Ghana that Nigeria doesn't have?

As for infrastructures, sentiments aside, Nigeria lack proper infrastructure that can cater to 160million + people. Let our leaders put infrastructures in place - power, commuting networks (Rail, Roads, Seaports etc), education, healthcare, then top it off with good fiscal policy, Nigeria will change and you won't have any reason to go to Ghana. Even if you did, when they become hostile, you simply relocate elsewhere.
Re: FG Engages Ghana On 'Trade Discrimination’ Against Nigerians by gst101: 2:54pm On Jul 20, 2012
Re: FG Engages Ghana On 'Trade Discrimination’ Against Nigerians by SmoothCrim: 2:56pm On Jul 20, 2012
Listen I am a big fan of ECOWAS but, I personally feel because of the history between both countries there should be RESPECT for THE LAWS first and foremost. Now, I support a strong West Africa and believe it is the most viable region in Africa BUT, first and foremost I respect the LAW! Men are governed by laws and if there is no law BARBARISM takes over! Follow the Laws!

In recent years, GH and Naija seem to have solved many of our problems with each other! GOOD! But, indiscipline could take us back to late 60's early 70's or, the Mid 80's!!!

LAW LAW LAW!!!!!!

1 Like

Re: FG Engages Ghana On 'Trade Discrimination’ Against Nigerians by gst101: 2:59pm On Jul 20, 2012
Sisi_Kill: Shouldn't they work on making Nigeria conducive for Businesses instead of taking Ghanaians to task for setting ground rules on how businesses are conducted in their own country?
by your assertion, nigeria is not conducive for business. But our informal sector is worth more than ghana's (so much respect to them) i think we malign our country so much that all these people who have not done close to a tenth of what we have done are beginig to look down on you

3 Likes

Re: FG Engages Ghana On 'Trade Discrimination’ Against Nigerians by blessed4ril(f): 3:03pm On Jul 20, 2012
Hehehehe,I laf in Swahili! Ghana kee!

1 Like

Re: FG Engages Ghana On 'Trade Discrimination’ Against Nigerians by sarutobie(m): 3:04pm On Jul 20, 2012
This smoothcrim guy again?..the guy always gets a hard on whenever naija/ghana thread is opened..he probably sees nigerians in his nightmares..

5 Likes

Re: FG Engages Ghana On 'Trade Discrimination’ Against Nigerians by SmoothCrim: 3:07pm On Jul 20, 2012
sarutobie: This smoothcrim guy again?..the guy always gets a hard on whenever naija/ghana thread is opened..he probably sees nigerians in his nightmares..

I think it is the other way around. I am a nightmare for you Nigga-Area(Nigerian) boys grin grin grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: FG Engages Ghana On 'Trade Discrimination’ Against Nigerians by Ifeanyispace: 3:11pm On Jul 20, 2012
I have being searching to know the duration Ghana celebrated their "10 years uninterruptable power supply" but to my suprise such proposition was found on Nigerian news publications. Disabuse ur mind from that Nigerians. I so much hate comparison between my country Nigeria and Ghana. I can handle South Africa, Egypt but not Ghana

1 Like

Re: FG Engages Ghana On 'Trade Discrimination’ Against Nigerians by Nobody: 3:19pm On Jul 20, 2012
What's all the noise about? If a business environment is unfriendly, you move out.
The ghanaians have made their decision, time for us to make ours.

3 Likes

Re: FG Engages Ghana On 'Trade Discrimination’ Against Nigerians by SmoothCrim: 3:25pm On Jul 20, 2012
careytommy: What's all the noise about? If a business environment is unfriendly, you move out.
The ghanaians have made their decision, time for us to make ours.

The environment is unfriendly to those who break the LAWS!!!

As it should be! Go to any country and set up an illegal business and see what happens to you!! tongue tongue tongue shocked shocked shocked shocked

You've been inhaling too many generator fumes my brother so, are not thinking straight.

Can I go open a toilet business next to Goodluck's palace and call it free movement??

LEARN THE LAWS before you invest in any area(EVEN NIGERIA)! Laws is what separates men from animals!!
Re: FG Engages Ghana On 'Trade Discrimination’ Against Nigerians by amosy007: 3:26pm On Jul 20, 2012
manny4life:

I think that's absolutely incorrect.
Nigeria has a population of 160million+ people, that's a enormous economic advantage compared to other African nations. If things were in place, and things were done RIGHT like other nations,
so why are the chinese all over the world despite the pop of 1.8billion people

what other frontier are you seeking from Ghana that Nigeria doesn't have?

exploration

As for infrastructures, sentiments aside, Nigeria lack proper infrastructure that can cater to 160million + people.
does dis mean that ghana has better infrastructure than nigeria?

Let our leaders put infrastructures in place - power, commuting networks (Rail, Roads, Seaports etc), education, healthcare, then top it off with good fiscal policy, Nigeria will change and you won't have any reason to go to Ghana. Even if you did, when they become hostile, you simply relocate elsewhere.
agreed

Re: FG Engages Ghana On 'Trade Discrimination’ Against Nigerians by amosy007: 3:29pm On Jul 20, 2012
gst101: by your assertion, nigeria is not conducive for business. But our informal sector is worth more than ghana's (so much respect to them) i think we malign our country so much that all these people who have not done close to a tenth of what we have done are beginig to look down on you
thank you

2 Likes

Re: FG Engages Ghana On 'Trade Discrimination’ Against Nigerians by amosy007: 3:33pm On Jul 20, 2012
sarutobie: This smoothcrim guy again?..the guy always gets a hard on whenever naija/ghana thread is opened..he probably sees nigerians in his nightmares..
lmao thats why u have to ignore him and those naija wannabes like him.. He z only trying to seek relevance like his short dark ugly ghanaian counterparts..

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

With These Your Business And Career Will Take A Giant Leap! / Economist: How Can I Spend 70k A Month. / How Can One Send Money From Nigeria To Ghana?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.