Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,836 members, 7,817,454 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:33 PM

Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? - Sports (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? (42783 Views)

List Of Super Eagles Squad for Egypt Game / Emenike Rejects Invitation Back To The Super Eagles Squad / Who Should Replace Who In This Current Super Eagles Squad To Become Stronger? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by folahann(m): 9:16pm On Jan 22, 2008
But it's quite embarrasing conceding 4 goals in openig match for a team
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by Horus(m): 10:32pm On Jan 22, 2008
It's now or never for Bafana

South Africa go into their African Nations Cup opener against Angola on Wednesday knowing they need to win if they are to have a realistic hope of advancing to the knock-out stages of the tournament.Coach Carlos Alberto Parreira has tried his hardest to manage the expectations of a demanding nation, stressing he is building for 2010, but results are what really matters and the veteran Brazilian will want to get his campaign off to the best possible start."It is important to remember that our target is mainly to play good football and use this tournament to build for 2010," said Parreira, before showing his winning mentality by adding: "We have to dream about being champions though. If we don't then we should rather not be here." Drawn in Group D alongside Angola, Tunisia and Senegal, Bafana Bafana are certainly the favourites to finish bottom.

Their cause has not been made any easier by the withdrawal, through injury, of first choice keeper Rowen Fernandez. The Arminia Bielefeld stopper is suffering from a broken finger and is replaced by Wits' Moeneeb Josephs.Fernandez aside, Parreira has the rest of his squad available. Skipper Aaron Mokoena looks certain to start in the holding midfield role where his lack of pace and laboured turn are less obvious than at centre back.
The Blackburn Rovers stalwart will almost certainly be joined by four others in midfield with Parreira unlikely to tamper with the 4-5-1 formation he has preferred to date. Siphiwe Tshabalala and Teko Modise will lend an attacking air to the midfield. Sibusiso Zuma will fulfill the role of lone striker with Terror Fanteni set to start from the bench.But while the Bafana side is undoubtedly talented, they come up well short in the experience department. Mokoena and Steven Pienaar boast good European credentials, while Zuma is a veteran who has paid his dues in Europe without ever really making the headlines.

"Sure, they might be going to the Nations Cup for the first time, but a lot of them have played the game at junior international level as well as inter-club and this will stand them in good stead in Ghana," commented Bafana Bafana assistant coach Pitso Mosimane. "Some of these boys have been on the field against Italy, Scotland and Canada and they competed admirably. And since those matches I've seen just how confident they are," enthused Mosimane, who added:  "These boys are a different breed." But in Angola, Bafana Bafana come up against a team full of solid and disciplined players. There are few stars on show but the majority of the squad play their club football in Europe and the squad that has travelled to Ghana includes 16 of the 23 players who did duty in the World Cup last year.Angola more than held their own in Germany in 2006 where they lost 1-0 to Portugal before holding Iran and Mexico to draws. Key players for the Palancas Negras will be strikers Manucho Goncalves, who is set to join Manchester United after the tournament, and Flavio as well as Leeds United defender Rui Marques and tireless Benfica midfielder Zé Kalanga.Not surprisingly the talk emanating from the Angolan camp has been fighting. "We know your team has some experienced players, such as Aaron Mokoena, Sibusiso Zuma and others and we won’t underestimate them," assistant coach Filemon Roneu told The Sowetan."We are looking forward to teaching them a free soccer lesson on Wednesday," he added.

Squads:

South Africa:

Rowen Fernandez, Moeneeb Josephs, Itumeleng Khune, Vuyo Mere, Bryce Moon, Benson Mhlongo, Bevan Fransman, Tsepo Masilela, Brett Evans, Nasief Morris, Aaron Mokoena, Kagiso Dikgacoi, Elrio van Heerden, Lance Davids, Surprise Moriri, Siphiwe Tshabalala, Steven Pienaar, Teko Modise, Excellent Walaza, Thembinkosi Fanteni, Lerato Chabangu, Katlego Mphela, Sibusiso Zuma.

Angola:

Lama, Mário, Nuno, Locó, Jamba, Yamba Asha, Luis Delgado, Kali, Machado, Marco Airosa, Rui Marques, Mabina, Nelo, Gilberto, André Macanga, Maurito, Figueiredo, Mendonça, Dedé, Édson, Zé Kalanga, Mateus, Flávio, Diangi Matusiwa, Love, Manucho Goncalves, Santana, Pedro Henriques, Minguito.

Source: http://dev.football365.co.za/news/africa/its_now_or_never_for_bafana_22108163352.php
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by prince84(m): 11:34pm On Jan 22, 2008
when we discuss footie southafrica should talk about rudby or something
they play painfully bad footie. grin grin grin

comenting on the cameroun game, they left everything too late, Eto,geremi and song are examples of real african footballers
they have grit and determination, i think martins,utaka, yakubu,yobo can learn alot from these people.

my prediction
mali 1 nigeria 1.5, just enough to win the match grin grin

but any lapse from the defence especially on the part of apam,taye and yobo i no fit shout lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by camegirl(f): 1:15am On Jan 23, 2008
You guys will be very suprise at what Cameroon will do?
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by DD5: 4:45am On Jan 23, 2008
camegirl:

You guys will be very suprise at what Cameroon will do?

like concede 4 goals in their opening game? clearly surprising i must confess.
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by 9ja4eva: 6:40am On Jan 23, 2008
lol
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by modupea: 12:25pm On Jan 23, 2008
I feel strongly that our problem is Berti Vogts. He took Okonkwo (the guy that came in for Kanu) to the Nations cup not because he was fantastic with his club nor for the country (judging by the friendly matches he played) but because they share the same agent. For God sake what is an agent doing on the bench.

he lacks everything a coach needs to have, vision, match reading, good substitutions and good press briefing. Utaka did nothing on the field and he did not remove him until the 70th minute. The Ivorien coach saw that that his right wing back was having problem he substituted him immediately. But our own coach has players of good pedigree like Nsofor, IK Uche, Richard, Etuku and he brought in mediocres like okonkwo and Makinwa (what were they doing in Ghana sef).

I don't see us doing anything than equaling our 1982 distrastrous outing if he continues with his manhandling of the team.
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by hollandis(f): 1:17pm On Jan 23, 2008
modupea:

I feel strongly that our problem is Berti Vogts. He took Okonkwo (the guy that came in for Kanu) to the Nations cup not because he was fantastic with his club nor for the country (judging by the friendly matches he played) but because they share the same agent. For God sake what is an agent doing on the bench.
he lacks everything a coach needs to have, vision, match reading, good substitutions and good press briefing. Utaka did nothing on the field and he did not remove him until the 70th minute. The Ivorien coach saw that that his right wing back was having problem he substituted him immediately. But our own coach has players of good pedigree like Nsofor, IK Uche, Richard, Etuku and he brought in mediocres like okonkwo and Makinwa (what were they doing in Ghana sef).

I don't see us doing anything than equaling our 1982 distrastrous outing if he continues with his manhandling of the team.

I need links please
I need this to nail the Son of a B****
You also forgot to mention Aiyegbeni and Martins too I prefer martins of the duo though
Vogts is a disgrace to German football,Nigeria football,World Coaches to his family sef,

Vogts the olodo
olodo rapata,ojueja lo mon je.
Ko ni lo paper,silati o man lo
Ore mi kilogba
Odo Olojeja
Chicken Chicken sam sam
SHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE tongue
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by modupea: 4:46pm On Jan 23, 2008
His name is Emeka Ezeala.
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by slimnike(m): 5:00pm On Jan 23, 2008
It's either we bet Mali or nothing. And i don't find that to be easy.
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by dayokanu(m): 9:31pm On Jan 23, 2008
See this story

http://goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=558192

ThisDay claims that squad harmony is far from optimal in the Super Eagles camp.

The Nigerian daily claims that the team bus was far from a happy place during the side's brief journey from the stadium to the hotel after their 1-0 loss.

Goalkeeper Austin Ejide was reportedly restrained by other travelers after his argument with Joseph Yobo nearly came to blows.

Ejide was berating the stopper for failing to close down Salomon Kalou in the incident that led to the goal. The two had already traded harsh words on the pitch to this effect.

John Mikel Obi downplayed talk of disharmony, but admitted that things had not gone well.

"We made one mistake and that was the goal. When you make such mistakes you pay dearly for it," Obi sighed. "We should learn from them and people should take full responsibility."

"If we can do that, we've got a long way to go in this tournament, because we've got a good team and we played well," the 20-year-old midfielder added.

"We just need to concentrate all the time if we want to achieve anything."

Steve Michaels, Goal.com
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by folahann(m): 11:09pm On Jan 23, 2008
I know the Mali game will be an eassy one for the eagles but if things continue to go like this. . . . . .I'm sorry
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by stanech: 1:57am On Jan 24, 2008
I think the 2008 African nations cup is on its way to North Africa     cool
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by Horus(m): 10:25am On Jan 24, 2008
[img]http://www.rfi.fr/actufr/images/074/equipe_nigeria430.jpg[/img]

Nigeria 'condemned to win' versus Mali

Nigeria said they are 'condemned to win' against Mali in a decisive 2008 Africa Cup of Nations Group B tie on Friday, if they are to stay on course for their third championship triumph.Super Eagles, two-time winners of the Nations Cup, lost their opening match of the tournament to Ivory Coast and are bottom of the standings after Mali beat Benin for the maximum points. "We have no choice but to beat Mali. We are condemned to win that game as well as our final match against Benin," said Nice defender Onyekachi Apam. "We have the quality to win this cup but we have to prove it on the pitch."

Source: http://www.int.iol.co.za/index.php?click_id=19&art_id=nw20080124091538486C566785&set_id=
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by kenypumpin: 11:57am On Jan 24, 2008
super eagles am sure we will see some suprises this friday sha because i cant just imagine international players playing like under 17.nawa
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by salinco(m): 3:19pm On Jan 24, 2008
kenypumpin:

super eagles am sure we will see some suprises this friday sha because i can't just imagine international players playing like under 17.nawa
I dey also join you in prayer OOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by hustler(m): 4:39pm On Jan 24, 2008
Does anyone know the coach's reason for not taking Obodo to the tourney As far as i'm concerned that guy is way better than Olofinjana and Etuhu even if he just started playing after a long time off.

Berti Vogts is just a normal coach.Nothing extraordinary about him. The only reason why i felt his presence would do us good was cuz he was white and internationally recognized.Our players tend to respect these coaches and behave better when they are in charge. Attacking wise he lacks the tactics but he has the options.
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by otokx(m): 5:57pm On Jan 24, 2008
Am not expecting much after the embarrassment of Ivory Coast.
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by issue(m): 9:00am On Jan 25, 2008
Does anyone know the coach's reason for not taking Obodo to the tourney As far as i'm concerned that guy is way better than Olofinjana and Etuhu even if he just started playing after a long time off.

what has the so-called "bundle of skills" done in a green and white shirt? i believe he was given that nickname to add to the hype, because 1 single skill- i neva see o
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by issue(m): 9:08am On Jan 25, 2008
super eagles am sure we will see some suprises this friday sha because i can't just imagine international players playing like under 17.nawa

no o i disagree, the u-17 boys i've seen playing would hav taken responsibility and tackled the livin daylight out of that solomaon kalou guy. such negligence can only be the product of tired legs. olofinjana had no business being in that team except as a spokesman and thats because he went to skool.
i pray say we go see beta eagles today.
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by Bolarge(m): 1:05pm On Jan 25, 2008
Prayer prayer all the way. . . . in Jesus' name. . . . tongue
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by Horus(m): 1:50pm On Jan 25, 2008
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by ifyalways(f): 4:47pm On Jan 25, 2008
@horus lol.

whats gwan for morrow?any predictions yet?am seeing the eagles fumbling again undecided
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by hustler(m): 6:04pm On Jan 25, 2008
issue:

what has the so-called "bundle of skills" done in a green and white shirt? i believe he was given that nickname to add to the hype, because 1 single skill- i never see o

@ Issue,

I beg to differ.Obodo has been played out of position since he's been playing for Nigeria. Many coaches tend to believe he can play the role of a playmaker. At the last AFCON he was deployed to play on the right side of midfield.

Since he's been playing in the top flight of Italian football he has always been used a holding midfielder. He sure must be doing sumthing right in that position for Lazio to want to cough out close to 7MM $ this January for the signature of a player whos just returning to fitness.

He played in the holding role in our 3rd place match against Senegal at the last AFCON and he did very well. For me he's a better choice than Olofinjana and Etuhu plus he comes with UCL and top flight experience. I would have taken him to the AFCON even if he just returned to fitness for a week jo,
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by hollandis(f): 6:39pm On Jan 25, 2008
The best of Ikechukwu uche

[flash=425,355]http://www.youtube.com/watch/v/vq3MLikpMsc[/flash]
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by 9ja4eva: 10:06pm On Jan 25, 2008
Quick Exit
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by tboy81(m): 11:03pm On Jan 25, 2008
well, we all know 'what to expect' now . . . . . . . . . . . . . "a miracle"

we pray for Ivory Coast to beat Mali cry cry(even though they're both 'francophone' countries undecided), dat's even if we can beat Benin angry angry with our "blunt" strikers grin grin.
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by Horus(m): 11:16pm On Jan 25, 2008
Breaking News.
It's official the Super eagles are changing name.They are now called the Super Chickens!!
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by folahann(m): 12:00am On Jan 26, 2008
Better still: [size=15pt]STUPID CHICKENS[/size]
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by 9ja4eva: 2:22am On Jan 26, 2008
Harmless Eagles

tboy81:

well, we all know 'what to expect' now . . . . . . . . . . . . . "a miracle"

we pray for Ivory Coast to beat Mali cry cry(even though they're both 'francophone' countries undecided), that's even if we can beat Benin angry angry with our "blunt" strikers grin grin.

So possible they would strike a deal to see off the Harmless Eagles.
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by NOUBLE(m): 7:48am On Jan 26, 2008
no team does well with the kind of midfielders we have. it doesing seems like 9jerian team. every thing about the midfield was wrong. are there no good players in that country anymore? moreover what is yakubu doing there? this is not premiership that he gets in between the whites, these are his fellow blacks and ready for the challenge. he need dietician. too fat for the game.
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by folahann(m): 1:14pm On Jan 26, 2008
Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect?
Well we have all seen what the Super Headless ChickensEagles

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Tyson Fury Reached Out To Anthonyjoshua After His Loss To Andy Ruiz Jnr / Five Countries Qualify For AFCON 2022 / Okocha Better Than Messi, Cristiano Ronaldo - Sam Allardyce

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.