Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,875 members, 7,817,574 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:43 PM

Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? (42784 Views)

List Of Super Eagles Squad for Egypt Game / Emenike Rejects Invitation Back To The Super Eagles Squad / Who Should Replace Who In This Current Super Eagles Squad To Become Stronger? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by medaura(m): 10:23am On Dec 13, 2007
It is unfortunate we fall in the danger group, but lets all hope for the best.
I believe cote'd voer and mali are not unbeatable.and for the squad i think we cant have anything better than this, besides the few ones that
are not invited are not better than those on the list. SO IT'S ALL GOOD . GO SUPER EAGLES
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by coolisaac(m): 11:08am On Dec 13, 2007
HEY NIGA BROTHERS, UNCLES AND FATHERS, BERTI VOGTS HAS A GREAT PLAN AHEAD, LETS JUST SEE WAT HE'S GONNA DO NOT TO CRTISIZE HIM.

JUST LIKE BOFREE JOE WHO LEAD NIGERIA AND MADE A NAME.

NO BE BECUS HIM BE WHITE MAN OOOOOOO!

LETS WATCH AND PRAY FOR THE PLAYERS THEMSELVES SO THAT THEY WILL PUT THEIR MINDS DOWN AND PLAY.

NFA DOES NOT PAY THEM WELL THATS WHY THEY ARE PLAYING LIKE THAT.

ITS NOT BERTI'S FAULT, ITS THE PLAYERS, BERTI HAS NO ONE TO COACH HERE, PLAYERS ABROAD, HOMEBASED PLAYERS ARE NOT SERIOUS.

NOTING CAN STOP US FROM CARRYING THAT CUP.
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by sabak: 1:14pm On Dec 13, 2007
people, there is so much despondency and unbelief, lets look at it this way

for the first time since 1994, a super eagles team that isn't dependent on okocha is emerging
anyone who watched with a discerning mind, will notice in the past two friendlies, as unimpressive as the standard of play was, there was immense team spirit, every player on the pitch was struggling to cover up for the other. yes we have issues in the midfield, but we have materials to make find a solution without putting any player under pressure to be jay jay.

right now what anyone cant argue about, is that we have excess options upfield, some of the strikers who are also natural ball jugglers can be pulled back to play behind to front two.assuming martins and uche alternating with the yak play as the front two, and natural ball jugglers like kanu, utaka playing in between them and mikel roving around the center with osaze and obinna nsofor running down on the flanks.

if this combination in midfield and attack can click, it will make up for any problems we may have in the defence, anyway, the defence has never been the strong point of the Nigerian game even in the tick of things in 1994, we v always had a fragile back. but that is not to say that on a good day, ayila, yobo, taiwo and apam will not hold their own.

and these are the reasons why some of us who have heard vogts saying no problem in midfield and threatening fire and brimstone over his camp deadline feel the man has a clear idea of what he intend s to do.people who look at how the German has made fitness and consistency the watch words for his selection believe the materials are there, he just needs sometime in a closed camp setting to figure out the best combination. lets not forget that even the historic dream team 1 was beaten in a friendly match in the national stadium by 3-1 by a rag tag togole se tnational team, that was exactly 21 days before they took on bulgaria. even in the height of super eagles reign in 1994, they were almost beaten to it by an ivorien team built around four european based proffessionals and a bulk of asec mimosa and african sport players in the semis.

mali and cote voir may have the present super stars of the african game, but with the discipline, ruggedness and team work which are the hall marks of the feared and respected german soccer philosophy, the truth is that anything can happen, and writting off the super eagles will certainly be an excercise in self destruction for opponents.come january 2008, the die will be cast, and we will know whose game it is.
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by nyabinghi(m): 2:04pm On Dec 13, 2007
Nigeria always win every tourney before the first ball is kicked. We don't even have the best squad amongst the participating teams. I am tipping the elephants of la cote d'ivoire or the black stars of Ghana to win it. Football is more than pure sentiments.
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by folahann(m): 2:38pm On Dec 13, 2007
In recent football there is no more small nations so there might be shocks this Year. All we have to do is to keep our heads up and focus on the game. As i have earlier mentioned, sometimes luck have to be on your side so let's pray and hope Nigeria gets Lucky.
Even if Nigeria fails to win this Cup I don't think The host nation (GHANA)could do better, I don't see them winning this tournament, I can place a bet on it.
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by sabak: 2:57pm On Dec 13, 2007
FOLAHANN,
I STAND WHERE U STAND, IF THERE ARE ONLY TWO THINGS I AM CERTAIN OF ABOUT THIS NATIONS CUP, IT IS THAT SUPER EAGLES WILL DEFEAT COTEVOIR ON THE OPENING DAY, AND THEN SECOND IS THAT GHANA BLACK STARS WILL NOT BE ON PARADE ON THE LAST DAY. ALL THIS PRE-TOUNAMENT NOISE IS THE NORMAL MEDIA HYPE.

AT THE END OF THE DAY, A TRADITIONAL NATIONS CUP COUNTRY WILL BE TAKING THE CUP- EGYPT , CAMEROUN, NIGERIA. I AM READY TO BET ON THIS. IN FOOTBALL THERE IS WHAT WE CALL PEDIGREE, AND NON OF THE SO CALLED FAVOURITES LIKE COTEVOIR AND GHANA, HAVE ENOUGH OF IT TO UPTURN THE APPLE CART- QUOTE ME.

U NEEDED TO SEE HOW GHANA STRUGGLED TO OVERCOME BENIN AT THE FOUR NATION TOURNAMENT AND HOW MALIAN EAGLES EFFORTLESSLY DOWNED THE ELEPHANTS IN PARIS IN A RECENT FRIENDLY TO UNDERSTAND THAT SUPER EAGLES IS NOT OUT OF THE BRACKET, ANYWAY, E NO TOO FAR, WE WILL GET THERE
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by segunpc(m): 3:01pm On Dec 13, 2007
Vogts is the boss and he makes the last decision but i believe Anichebe should ve been honoured with atleast a call up. The squad i'll say is fair not the best. And in all i wish nigeria the best in Ghana '08.
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by folahann(m): 3:05pm On Dec 13, 2007
I watch Ghana games against Togo an Benin live, there was no quality play at all on the path of the Ghanaians, sorry to say maybe an underdog will take this CUP away
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by faketan(m): 3:49pm On Dec 13, 2007
I do not have expectation. Whatever comes out it I will see it.

What I still do not understand is why Anichebe was not called up. That guy is a fighter. English commentators call him the super sub in Everton.
He delivers when it matters most.

'Beati'should better have a good reason.
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by sabak: 3:55pm On Dec 13, 2007
who will anichebe replace in super eagles? yak that benches him in everton is not even sure of a starting position talkless of anichebe.the super eagles forward line is over saturated at the moment, the guy should warm up for olympics, his time with the eagles will sure come, but not now
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by folahann(m): 4:05pm On Dec 13, 2007
It is very good for Anichebe not to be called up, I think Vogts is helping Everton b'cos if he's called up, he will not fit into the starting line-up and instead of sitting on the bench in Ghana he will rather be firing up with Everton for the fact that Yakubu will not be available for them. And guess what! the door to England is still open to him
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by metro(m): 4:25pm On Dec 13, 2007
4get all dis crap about us avin a bad side let look at the positive side too yakubu as more goals dan the ivorian giant in the same league premiersip dont 4get yobo was d most consistent central defender in without missing on any premiership march last season and has not been doin badly at allin the attack line up i dont c even the ivorian or malian doing better dan us collectively dou they may have one spark of brilliant man up front kenoute an drogber (mali and cote de voire resp.) all we have to do is work on our mid field and taiye tiawo do well on the left with a little consistecy from our keepers we wont do badly dont 4get that the super eagles like pulling surprises i xpect dem to pull some stunts in the afcon in Ghana dou i wont xpect it to be Berti's all technical input than it will be by the boys all out deterrmination,
cheers guys and have faith
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by Fadajasi(m): 6:19pm On Dec 13, 2007
The list is ok, praise vogts for that,but the inclusion of makinwa and exclusion of chidi odiah is not worth it,even though odiah is injured,he should still be listed,at least okocha was injured in egypt 2006 and drogba is also injured nw but in the squad, so thats just my opinion
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by kayality: 7:48pm On Dec 13, 2007
I pray God help us to stop winning Bronzes and start winning Gold.But it's only God and I repeat only God that can help us do it because we're not well prepared, we're not so hot,Coted'voire and Ghana are hotter.

i agree wit you but coted-voire have nothing to do against nigeria,i also belif that were going to GHANA for glory not anything by god grace
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by 9ja4eva: 7:30am On Dec 14, 2007
Win GOLD ke?

Dat is a tall dream.With the team Vogts assembled i dont see us going far
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by illusion2: 11:52am On Dec 14, 2007
We'll come 3rd as usual, unless. . . . . . .
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by Nobody: 1:20pm On Dec 14, 2007
I agree with you illusion2
I see Mali trashing Nigeria
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by tunanpa: 1:29pm On Dec 14, 2007
who wants to play? kanoute or diara? they no fit stand the heat of the super eagles.
won ma gba men.
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by Nobody: 2:51pm On Dec 14, 2007
tunanpa:

who wants to play? kanoute or diara? they no fit stand the heat of the super eagles.
won ma gba men.

Who will mark them?
yobo or taye taiwo?
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by emmydee(m): 6:45pm On Dec 14, 2007
which cup? Nigeria has not won the trophy when we have a good team.how com they dream of winning it now we dont even have a team.mek una just go watch d best in african football and forgrt d hope of wining nations cup.
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by DisGuy: 6:58pm On Dec 14, 2007
Who plays with Yobo at central Back?
Is oruma coming back?
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by justin04(m): 7:18pm On Dec 14, 2007
Super Eagles should play in the finals, nothing less.
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by ow11(m): 8:33pm On Dec 14, 2007
sabak:

who will anichebe replace in super eagles?

MAKINWA!!!!!!!!!
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by DisGuy: 8:41pm On Dec 14, 2007
come on guys; List your best 11

we have sooo many players its unbelievable!!
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by 9ja4eva: 8:44pm On Dec 14, 2007
Dis Guy:

Who plays with Yobo at central Back?
Is oruma coming back?

Oruma is needed in that team.

dason4life:

Who will mark them?
yobo or taye taiwo?

Maybe Obinna Nwaneri

Where Chidi Odiah sef?
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by eldee(m): 9:28pm On Dec 14, 2007
[b]Squad:

Goalkeepers:
Austin Ejide (Bastia/FRA), Dele Aiyenugba (Bnei Yehuda/ISR), Vincent Enyeama (Hapoel Tel Aviv/ISR)

Defenders:
Rabiu Afolabi (Sochaux/FRA), Danny Shittu (Watford/ENG), Onyekachi Apam (OGC Nice/FRA), Obinna Nwaneri (FC Sion/SWI), Joseph Yobo (Everton/ENG), Ifeanyi Emeghara (Steaua Bucharest/ROM), Kingsley Udoh (Akwa United), Efe Ambrose (Kaduna United), Taye Taiwo (Marseille/FRA)

Midfielders:
Seyi Olofinjana (Wolves/ENG), Dickson Etuhu (Sunderland/ENG), Richard Eromoigbe (Levski Sofia/BUL), John Mikel Obi (Chelsea/ENG), Sani Kaita (Sparta Rotterdam/NED), Onyekachi Okonkwo (FC Zurich/SWI), Yusuf Ayila (Dynamo Kyiv/UKR), Lukman Haruna (Crystal Academy), Rabiu Ibrahim (Sporting Lisbon/POR), Oladapo Olufemi (Boavista/POR)

Strikers:
Nwankwo Kanu, John Utaka (Portsmouth/ENG), Osaze Odemwingie (Lokomotiv Moscow/RUS), Mannaseh Ishiaku (MSV Duisburg/GER), Ikechukwu Uche (CF Getafe/SPA), Yakubu Aiyegbeni (Everton/ENG), Ayodele Makinwa (SS Lazio/ITA), Obinna Nsofor (Chievo Verona/ITA), Obafemi Martins (Newcastle/ENG)[/b]

I saw this team list on TV on Sky and I was like is this some team for a friendly match or is this seriously what we are taking over to the Nation's Cup. It is now totally obvious that Nigerians players have lost their reputation for being top players in top European clubs. The period when we had two Champion's League winnin players (Kanu and Finidi), Juventus first team player(Sunday Oliseh) and the problem of how to get our players to get passes from their big clubs to come for friendlies.

This problem I believe comes from the fact that Nigeria in recent years have not been prominent and eye-catching African teams in the World-Cup. Ask Holland if they are not still suffering from not going to 2002 World Cup. Getting grouped with France and Italy is enough punishment.

No matter how hard we try to hide it, a player that hits well in the World Cup, no matter how bad his team is has an added advantage when he is placed in the transfer market. There are just a few coaches that go out of their way to go watch players in the small European Leagues.

Why do we need players in the Super Leagues?-Top Teams have top coaches that bring out the best in the players.
-Bigger Clubs mean more popularity for players and more people want to watch us.
-The higher the potential viewers, the higher the marketability.
-The country's international reputation is linked to the number of star players they recognise(Take Mali as a case study)
-We surely need that reputation to get other teams to fear us.

Now, I'm already visualising the hardship I'll have to pass through to see the Super Eagles on ESPN.
Now that we have only them QPR and Southampton players in the team.

The job's real hard for Vogts since he has decided that the only players he wants to monitor are those in the German league.
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by Nobody: 1:54am On Dec 15, 2007
really, i expect nothing much. lipsrsealed
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by 9ja4eva: 4:47am On Dec 15, 2007
I expect nothing
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by fashfisher(m): 4:59am On Dec 15, 2007
we shouldnt always talk about things of this nature. naija, we fail to put the effort evry other country puts into prreparation. we play friendlies with opponents we should be training with and scouting from at home. and we always expect results. well all i will say is we always hustle so we will rough it (hustle and strive) to the a very good point till we get to our limit. aniwaes up naija, up eagles
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by Fadajasi(m): 9:41am On Dec 15, 2007
I see defeat
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by metodman(m): 11:00am On Dec 15, 2007
[color=#006600][/color][b][/b][i][/i] well, the squad is still okay. We always have the players. Ghana and all those countries are not better than us. Its just the  poor planning. We plan ahead of  tournaments as if its our fathers cup which we dont need to strive hard to get. Honestly we need to plan well for the tournaments. I believe in team play and of course we will do well if the coach thinks straight because germans does not. Cos we have no number 10 does not mean anything.We just need someone to control the midfield.Thats all,  Okocha was not good because of his jersey number NO! IT WAS THE WAY HE ALWAYS CONTROLS THE MIDFIELD THAT WE CHERISHED!

LET US JUST PRAY WELL FOR THEM,I BELIEVE THEY WILL SUPRISE US ANYWAY grin grin
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by metodman(m): 11:07am On Dec 15, 2007
[b][/b][i][/i][color=#006600][/color] i believe Anichebe should have been called up too but maybe england bribed vogts not to call him to frustrate the guy to play for england, It mighty be sooooo embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Tyson Fury Reached Out To Anthonyjoshua After His Loss To Andy Ruiz Jnr / Five Countries Qualify For AFCON 2022 / Okocha Better Than Messi, Cristiano Ronaldo - Sam Allardyce

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.