Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,810 members, 7,817,352 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:47 AM

Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? - Sports (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? (42782 Views)

List Of Super Eagles Squad for Egypt Game / Emenike Rejects Invitation Back To The Super Eagles Squad / Who Should Replace Who In This Current Super Eagles Squad To Become Stronger? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by Nobody: 8:43am On Jan 21, 2008
The match was wacck, wasted my time watching the match lol
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by Nobody: 9:45am On Jan 21, 2008
@mdsocks
i beg to differ. it wasnt wack! i watched it on hitv and thoroughly enjoyed it. maybe it was the commentary that worked for me, cos i remember initially i wasnt feelin the match on supersports and ait/nta but when i eventually switched to hitv, i started feelin the game a lot more due to the premiership like feel and the verve and passion the commentators put into the game. gush! those guys did an awesome job.

And although the game wasn't of the highest standard, it was quite entertaining all the way to the end.
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by Grizzly(m): 10:08am On Jan 21, 2008
if the pitch at accra is as messed up as that,
wonder what awaits us at Secondi, embarassed
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by hollandis(f): 10:23am On Jan 21, 2008
If for any reason,Vogts decides to field in Taiye Taiwo.Then the "otu "shouldn't be placed as a left full back.
Anything contrary to this will be disastrous.
I will make my assessment of the Super Eagles, after today's game.
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by nosablue: 11:43am On Jan 21, 2008
let's keep our fingers and we shouldn't believe berti vogts is the messiah taking urs to the promised.after the match with ivory coast they we will see what happens and we should forget that guinea almost drew with ghana,that's a warnin that no more under-dogs.
nosa arigbe-osula
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by nosablue: 11:50am On Jan 21, 2008
let's see if nigeria match would be tasty.
awumen bdsocks
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by Horus(m): 11:53am On Jan 21, 2008
We need some luck, says Kanu

January 21 2008

"The Elephants" of Ivory Coast may be one of the tournament favourites for the 2008 African Nations Cup, but Group B rivals Nigeria believe they have enough in the tank to go past them today on their way to a third continental crown.This will be the fifth clash between the two west Africa countries in this competition, with Nigeria winning two of these encounters.One of those victories was the pulsating 1994 semifinal in Tunisia as the teams battled to a thrilling 2-2 draw before the stalemate was settled on penalties as Nigeria went on to clinch their second Nations Cup title.

[img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/57/Ghana_2008_logo.GIF[/img]

However, two years ago in Egypt the Ivorians won 1-0, courtesy of a Didier Drogba goal to reach the final.That has now set the tone for a grudge match."Our spirits are high to win in Ghana and now we just need a little bit of luck to do that," said Nwankwo Kanu, the oldest and the most experienced player on the Nigerian squad.Bulgaria-based midfielder Richard Eromoigbe said he is delighted with the Super Eagles' underdog tag."We are happy we are the underdogs."It's not something that worries us because we know what we are capable of. It's good that the pressure is on the Ivory Coast to win," Eromoigbe said."Win or lose, we will qualify for the quarterfinal," added top Nigerian official Amos Adamu."We have given the team our total support and we expect nothing less than the cup from them."This tournament forms part of our build-up towards the 2010 World Cup which we hope to qualify for and at least get to the semifinals."German coach Berti Vogts has instilled European discipline and organisation, particularly in the Eagles' defence, since he took charge in March, and so Joseph Yobo, Danny Shittu, Rabiu Afolabi, Onyekachi Apam and Taye Taiwo now allow very little to go past them.There has also been some exciting additions to the feared Nigerian attack in the form of Spain-based Ikechukwu Uche and Olympic team star Obinna Nsofor, who has been recalled after he was shut out for several months.The Nigeria Football Association have endured a barrage of criticism over the choice of Malaga, Spain, as training camp ahead of the tournament. A section of the local media insisted that the weather in Spain was too cold and far from being a suitable place to prepare the team because they will play under hotter conditions in Ghana.Otherwise this has been one of the best preparations by Nigeria for a major competition as they trained together for at least 10 days and tested their readiness to take on the cream of African football with friendly matches against Australia, Switzerland and Sudan.The issue of money, which has often been a flashpoint between the players and authorities, has been settled well ahead of time and so the players know that they would earn a bonus of $49 000 each by winning the cup.
The only injury doubt for Nigeria is Sunderland midfielder Dickson Etuhu, who is one of eight Nations Cup debutantes in the Eagles squad.In spite of Didier Drogba's huge influence on this team, the Elephants are not a one-man band.
Arsenal centrehalf Kolo Toure is a tower of strength and efficiency in the defence and Didier Zakora and Barcelona ace Yaya Toure pull the strings in midfield, while the tricky Aruna Dindane compliments the physical presence of Drogba upfront.

Source: http://www.int.iol.co.za/index.php?click_id=19&art_id=vn20080121070111794C100638&set_id=
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by 9ja4eva: 12:12pm On Jan 21, 2008
Any site to watch d match?
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by Albato(m): 1:42pm On Jan 21, 2008
The Ghana goals:

links removed by poster
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by SegunTX(m): 4:26pm On Jan 21, 2008
Nigeria has a very balanced squad, but I don't know if they can pull it off. I think they would make it to the Semis though, and as usual come home with the bronze medal.
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by dayokanu(m): 4:32pm On Jan 21, 2008
Our midfield and defence is too light weight though our attack is packed with stealth bombers
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by kojeiwa(m): 4:41pm On Jan 21, 2008
NTA is shows the game live? go to www.jumptv.com, register and select Nigeria, then NTA
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by olubiz(m): 6:13pm On Jan 21, 2008
Get informed and stay Updated, all up-to-minutes info and news
you need about GHANA 2008 in one place @ http://headlines.hopenigeria.com
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by kojeiwa(m): 7:25pm On Jan 21, 2008
Cote d' viore 1: 0 Nigeria
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by Uzzyan: 7:32pm On Jan 21, 2008
It wont be the final score i believe
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by Nobody: 7:53pm On Jan 21, 2008
its the final score

shittttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt ttttttttttttttttttttttttt

Our defence bleeped up after kanu left the field

Buhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Am damn angry now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by FBS: 7:55pm On Jan 21, 2008
shame on vogts
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by Nobody: 8:00pm On Jan 21, 2008
Sahme on the defenders not vogts ,he tried

The defenders were wack,
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by Uzzyan: 8:11pm On Jan 21, 2008
We were playing minus one ----- Apam
Pls let there be an overhaul of the team list for the next match abegg
OMG this is a hell of shit
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by tocdee(m): 8:40pm On Jan 21, 2008
what did we really expect, the players lack commitment, simple.
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by tocdee(m): 8:44pm On Jan 21, 2008
what did we really expect, the players lack commitment, simple.
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by sammy88(m): 8:51pm On Jan 21, 2008
not sure if these eagles can far
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by sammy88(m): 8:53pm On Jan 21, 2008
not sure if these eagles can go far
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by 9ja4eva: 10:35pm On Jan 21, 2008
No we dont have a squad now

Bring back the Glorious Atlanta 94 squad
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by folahann(m): 10:54am On Jan 22, 2008
Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect?

We are begining to see what we were expecting, anyway let's pray they do well against Mali and Benin. Those teams have really improved.
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by 2ceSharp(m): 11:54am On Jan 22, 2008
The classic Nigerian style is to lose our own match then start calculating how other teams in our group will lose so that we qualify on a narrow margin over them. We never put in our best all the time. This was mirrored yesterday. A player of kanu’s quality leaves the midfield, the implication of which is (1) breakdown of supply of balls to the attacking lineup and (2) exposure of the defence to short passes from the opposing midfielders. Then our Berti Vogts brings in a player like Onyekachi Okonkwo who is no where near kanu to do kanu’s work. The guy entered the field and just disappeared. The ideal thing would have been to bring in Odemwingie, freeing Utaka to shift into the middle position to do kanu’s job or do the Oruma thing with running at defence at least so that they focus on him and leave yakubu. Yakubu had to be doing kanu’s work and his own together while onyekachi ran from post to post. Judging from the game overall, our boys are good and can do better. Berti only has to watch his substitutions and tactics. We could have beaten those guys. They played nothing better than us. Also the game was by far the most professional match played so far in the competition. It was like a standard English premier league fixture.
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by lawyer(m): 2:15pm On Jan 22, 2008
Any nigerian giving him or herself headache over the super eagles needs to visit a psycharist fast. A team that is famous for being under achievers and disappoint you when it matters the most. History is full with all their fumblings and this one is no better. Anytime nigeria is to do well in a competition, you would just know. The calibre of players and team morale would be so intimidating that it would be a travesty to assume that they might come second.

Check out the tunisa 94 team or the japan 93 boys or the temile led boys. Although we lost the Nigeria/ghana 2000, it was still a solid team that deserved to be winners. But this team? Abeg spare me. Since ghana beat them 4-1 in a friendly, i know this team has no hope of doing well.

Funy enough they would beat cote d' ivoire and mali to qualify but when it matters the most, they would fumble. All they are concerned about is beating ivory coast and not the long road to the final day. Your better off following the premiership religiously doing the anc period than remotely giving yourself hypertension about nigeria.

I made this statement the night before nigeria lost and i was proved right. Super eagles is shit and they will lose to mali too and come back home. This is the most useless team ever assembled filled with egos and individual players and lack of spirit. Am really glad the shame and hypocricy of the super eagles has come out to roost grin

Once again, dont put your mind on the super eagles, instead support ur favourite premiership team and enjoy the fun iustead of relying on perennial Bleep ups like super eagles
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by prince84(m): 4:51pm On Jan 22, 2008
the super eagles are not super at all i suggest berti vogts use this line up for the match against mali

Ejide
yobo
shittu
taye, i dont realy like him but his all we got now
apam, even if his very lazy atleast he ddoes the job
mikel, as a defensive midfilder
utaka, in the midfield
osaze
uche ike
nsofor as second striker
martins as a top striker

formation should be 4-4-2

wing play should be encouraged/
King kanu can comin in the 60min for nsofor and yakubu for martins only if we are winning.

Olofinjana should be sent home, same with okoronkwo,
where is that player from romanian league, richard something he should be on the bench.

please send makinwa home please.

Berti vogts you better take this instructions or consider youself sacked.
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by 9ja4eva: 5:06pm On Jan 22, 2008
I dont see us beating Mali
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by A40(m): 5:07pm On Jan 22, 2008
Not much to expect lol
Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by Nobody: 6:36pm On Jan 22, 2008
JUST CHECK THE SETUP,

YOU CAN EDIT BUT THIS ISTHE BEST WE CAN ARRANGE NOW,

Re: Super Eagles Squad At Ghana 2008: What To Expect? by RuuDie(m): 8:19pm On Jan 22, 2008
Just watched the Cameroon game & lots folks left d place grinning, saying "@ least, our loss was better". . . . . HOGWASH!
At least d LIONS fought. They showed SPUNK, SPIRIT, XTER. . . . . They battled, gave it a GO. Not like our boys!

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Tyson Fury Reached Out To Anthonyjoshua After His Loss To Andy Ruiz Jnr / Five Countries Qualify For AFCON 2022 / Okocha Better Than Messi, Cristiano Ronaldo - Sam Allardyce

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.