Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,468 members, 7,954,830 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 10:24 AM

Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? - Car Talk (21) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? (105728 Views)

Has Anyone Driven An Innoson??? / Whats D Longest time U ve Driven Ur Car Without A Trip To Mechanic / Have You Ever Driven With Google Maps In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) ... (43) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? by Nobody: 12:14pm On Aug 16, 2014
king406: u guys donno that a 406 with EW12 engine speedo reads 250kmph??

It will read a maximum of 250 km/ (155.3 mph) because the speedo will be made for different models of Peugeot 406, including the more powerful ones. It may also be fitted to the 1.6 / 2.0 engined cars. It doesn't mean the cars will use the entire scale. It is cheaper for manufacturers to have one speedo for different models.

Your speedo may well have "indicated" 150 mph. It does to mean that was the ACTUAL speed the car was doing. So many factors to take into consideration - wheel size, incorrectly calibrated speedo (that has been taken apart and reassembled) and of course, good old error margin that exists in ALL production vehicles.

Let's look at another example - a UK-spec 2004 Toyota Corolla 1.6 speedo has a scale of 140 mph. It will max out at 115 mph. A UK-spec 2005 Honda Civic 1.4 (2003) speedo has a scale of 140 mph. It has a maximum speed of 105 mph.

What a speedo has on the scale seldom reflects what the car it's fitted to can do. Otherwise a cheap way to increase the rpm on a Honda Civic 1.4 from 6200 rpm would be by simply fitting the rev counter from an Integra Type-R, which red lines at an ear-splitting 8250 rpm.

2 Likes

Re: Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? by Nobody: 12:17pm On Aug 16, 2014
It'll take a lot more than 157hp to push a car as boxy as the Peugeot 406 to 150 mph. It just ain't happening.
Re: Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? by king406(m): 12:22pm On Aug 16, 2014
Ok siena I understand what u are saying but u know a 406 EW12 will do a top speed of 137mhp which is about 230kmph, so at least all in all I knw I've reached 220kmph with that pug, the 406 is just a great car, as u can see from the picture I posted I did reach 240kmph on th speedo
Siena:

It will read a maximum of 250 km/ (155.3 mph) because the speedo will be made for different models of Peugeot 406, including the more powerful ones. It may also be fitted to the 1.6 / 2.0 engined cars. It doesn't mean the cars will use the entire scale. It is cheaper for manufacturers to have one speedo for different models.

Your speedo may well have "indicated" 150 mph. It does to mean that was the ACTUAL speed the car was doing. So many factors to take into consideration - wheel size, incorrectly calibrated speedo (that has been taken apart and reassembled) and of course, good old error margin that exists in ALL production vehicles.

Let's look at another example - a UK-spec 2004 Toyota Corolla 1.6 speedo has a scale of 140 mph. It will max out at 115 mph. A UK-spec 2005 Honda Civic 1.4 (2003) speedo has a scale of 140 mph. It has a maximum speed of 105 mph.

What a speedo has on the scale seldom reflects what the car it's fitted to can do. Otherwise a cheap way to increase the rpm on a Honda Civic 1.4 from 6200 rpm would be by simply fitting the rev counter from an Integra Type-R, which red lines at an ear-splitting 8250 rpm.
Re: Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? by DjAndroid: 12:36pm On Aug 16, 2014
I have don 180 with peugoet expert (EW10 Engine)
Re: Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? by DjAndroid: 12:38pm On Aug 16, 2014
Kawasaki Power bike Overtaken By Audi While Going 300 KPH In Germany.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PY1eMpJT710
Re: Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? by Ikenna351(m): 4:44pm On Aug 16, 2014
Siena: King406, the Peugeot 406 2.2 SRI makes 157 hp, with a maximum speed of 135 mph.

Now unless your car was extensively modified, there's no way it would hit 150 mph.

Your speedo must be over reading by a massive margin.

Peugeot 406 with EW12, 2.2 litre Petrol engine develops maximum of 170 hp. And doing more than 200 km/h in 406 with that engine is not a big deal. A lot of people have done that.

Ikenna

1 Like

Re: Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? by king406(m): 5:56pm On Aug 16, 2014
Ikenna351:

Peugeot 406 with EW12, 2.2 litre Petrol engine develops maximum of 170 hp. And doing more than 200 km/h in 406 with that engine is not a big deal. A lot of people have done that.

Ikenna

yes oga ikenna351 I've been waiting for u 406 geek, I want to know between a peugeot 406 EW12 and V6 vs honda accord 2008 V8, which one is faster?? I want to know this once and for all
Re: Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? by yungboss(m): 6:58pm On Aug 16, 2014
king406: yes oga ikenna351 I've been waiting for u 406 geek, I want to know between a peugeot 406 EW12 and V6 vs honda accord 2008 V8, which one is faster?? I want to know this once and for all
the accord is faster...

1 Like

Re: Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? by abatically(m): 8:35pm On Aug 16, 2014
king406: yes oga ikenna351 I've been waiting for u 406 geek, I want to know between a peugeot 406 EW12 and V6 vs honda accord 2008 V8, which one is faster?? I want to know this once and for all

The accord v6 is not only faster but also more aggressive. Forget this LION king of the jungle ish that u want to start here.

1 Like

Re: Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? by Ikenna351(m): 8:58pm On Aug 16, 2014

If you meant 2008 Accord V6, of course, the Accord will be faster.

But just like i told people at the Peugeot owners Meet today in Abuja, I am a car person, a petrolhead and a Peugeot freak. What i look for in a car is not just the speed (even though i like and want them powerful), but "handling". Thats why the fastest car in a race doesnt always win the race. Also, that why in 1988, Peugeot 505 Turbo, with just 180 hp, won a race in USA. The car was not the fastest car in that race. But if watch the video of that race, you could see how it handled better than other cars in the race and won.

The bigger the hp, the more fun to speed on a straight line. But with poot handling, it sucks!

Ikenna

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? by king406(m): 9:04pm On Aug 16, 2014
Ikenna351:

But just like i told people at the Peugeot owners Meet today in Abuja, I am a car person, a petrolhead and a Peugeot freak. What i look for in a car is not just the speed (even though i like and want them powerful), but "handling". Thats why the fastest car in a race doesnt always win the race. Also, that why in 1988, Peugeot 505 Turbo, with just 180 hp, won a race in USA. The car was not the fastest car in that race. But if watch the video of that race, you could see how it handled better than other cars in the race and won.

The bigger the hp, the more fun to speed on a straight line. But with poot handling, it sucks!

Ikenna
thanks boss! Do u know about peugeot 207 1.8turbo (Not 307)
Re: Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? by peterjero(m): 11:10am On Aug 17, 2014
You guys here on this thread are unexplanably awesome, @siena hope you don't mind me disagreeing with you? I was doing 100km/h and drove past a road speed indicator (led Road speed limit indicator or whatever name it's called) and it still told me 100km/h so where is d overclocking coming from. Thanks
Re: Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? by Nobody: 11:34am On Aug 17, 2014
peterjero: You guys here on this thread are unexplanably awesome, @siena hope you don't mind me disagreeing with you? I was doing 100km/h and drove past a road speed indicator (led Road speed limit indicator or whatever name it's called) and it still told me 100km/h so where is d overclocking coming from. Thanks

There are more scientific ways of measuring indicated speed vs actual speed. Using a speed indicator OUTSIDE the car as you drive past, isn't one of them. No human eye (on the same face) can view a car's speedo, and an external speed indicator at the SAME time. The same way using a stop watch to measure 0 - 62 mph (100 km/h) is inaccurate.

Production cars are designed to over read, that's a fact. And the more speed you pile on, the greater the error margin becomes.

1 Like

Re: Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? by Nobody: 11:56am On Aug 17, 2014
abatically:

The accord v6 is not only faster but also more aggressive. Forget this LION king of the jungle ish that u want to start here.

grin

He won't take any answer unless it's that the 406 is faster. I think I've counted 5 threads of this his question.

Re: Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? by Nobody: 12:02pm On Aug 17, 2014
peterjero: You guys here on this thread are unexplanably awesome, @siena hope you don't mind me disagreeing with you? I was doing 100km/h and drove past a road speed indicator (led Road speed limit indicator or whatever name it's called) and it still told me 100km/h so where is d overclocking coming from. Thanks

1) There's no way you were doing exactly 100mph so there was an estimate done.

2) Law Enforcement stuff like that is not very accurate, there radar guns are far more accurate and even that still gets question in court. It needs to be calibrated frequently.

3) The only true way to get your absolute speed is a 3rd wheel mounted on your car (up to some certain speed anyways).
Re: Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? by Nobody: 12:14pm On Aug 17, 2014
Ikenna351:

Ikenna

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TQpgdgPTog

This was in SCCA showroom stock class. So you have cars like underpowered MR2, Corollas, FIATS, etc competing with Peugeot with a bigger engine and turbo. This is not something to be proud of. If they were prepared cars then it will be more rewarding.

Number two 505 was disqualified for technicality (read cheating).

From the commenters "Chris, give it a rest, I know you said your family has an old one, but Peugeots failed here because they were unreliable and nobody knew how to work on them.".

It's a different thing to shine on the racetrack (one season) and another to be a successful marque that is in peoples garages.

Another commenter "Peugeot flunk trough in comparison. And you are asking where the R30's is, heh the 505 was quite simply outclassed, read it and weep rookies."

And another "What happened to all the Peugeot 505 turbos in the US? I come across turbo volvo 740's quite often, and Peugeot 505's occasionally, but never a Peugeot turbo.".

There're are other cars of that era still rolling around in the USA but very very few 505s.
Re: Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? by king406(m): 12:21pm On Aug 17, 2014
CityNG:

grin

He won't take any answer unless it's that the 406 is faster. I think I've counted 5 threads of this his question.
@cityNG the front of the car still looks mighty wink

1 Like

Re: Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? by Nobody: 12:29pm On Aug 17, 2014
king406: @cityNG the front of the car still looks mighty wink

grin

And the red colored mirror. We all know red makes a car go faster so that should be at least 5 more horsepower right there.

1 Like

Re: Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? by peterjero(m): 5:36pm On Aug 17, 2014
Siena:

There are more scientific ways of measuring indicated speed vs actual speed. Using a speed indicator OUTSIDE the car as you drive past, isn't one of them. No human eye (on the same face) can view a car's speedo, and an external speed indicator at the SAME time. The same way using a stop watch to measure 0 - 62 mph (100 km/h) is inaccurate.

Production cars are designed to over read, that's a fact. And the more speed you pile on, the greater the error margin becomes.
Thanks Mr siena, but this thing we are talking about is close to my house and I do it everyday just to test accuracy and I seem not to fault it, thanks for the eye opening though. Still trying to be like you.
Re: Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? by peterjero(m): 5:42pm On Aug 17, 2014
CityNG:

1) There's no way you were doing exactly 100mph so there was an estimate done.

2) Law Enforcement stuff like that is not very accurate, there radar guns are far more accurate and even that still gets question in court. It needs to be calibrated frequently.

3) The only true way to get your absolute speed is a 3rd wheel mounted on your car (up to some certain speed anyways).

@cityng you are the man, I was doing 100km /h and for someone who can drive and snap a speedo of 240km/h and me doing 100km/h I can look anywhere that's small speed. Thanks for the enlightened explanations given, I will be disturbing you more often.
Re: Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? by Nobody: 5:52pm On Aug 17, 2014
peterjero:
@cityng you are the man, I was doing 100km /h and for someone who can drive and snap a speedo of 240km/h and me doing 100km/h I can look anywhere that's small speed. Thanks for the enlightened explanations given, I will be disturbing you more often.

No disturbance at all, it's car talk, we're supposed to talk cars.
Re: Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? by Ikenna351(m): 6:12pm On Aug 17, 2014
king406: thanks boss! Do u know about peugeot 207 1.8turbo (Not 307)

No, I dont know much about the engine, including Peugeot 207.

Ikenna
Re: Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? by yungboss(m): 7:29pm On Aug 17, 2014
king406: thanks boss! Do u know about peugeot 207 1.8turbo (Not 307)
hmmm, seems you want a rally car...i know that the 205 had the 1.8l turbo or somethin like that...

1 Like

Re: Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? by king406(m): 7:51pm On Aug 17, 2014
Ikenna351:

No, I dont know much about the engine, including Peugeot 207.

Ikenna
please if u can help me find the right specifications of my 207 I would really appreciate, I bought it from a friend and I donno what engine is in the car, its a 2007 model, I4 (don't knw the displacement), 5speed manual, this is not a common car so its very hard to know the engine, but from the sound of the engine I think its a turbo engine, there is nothing written on the engine or any badge on the body of the car, it has a large single exhaust pipe, I can post pictures of it if u need it, and u know how peugeot sell their hatchbacks, there is trendi, sport, GTi, SW, I've searched google so many times but fail to find the right car and engine spec, thanks @ikenna351
Re: Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? by Nobody: 7:58pm On Aug 17, 2014
yungboss:
hmmm, seems you want a rally car...i know that the 205 had the 1.8l turbo or somethin like that...

The 205 range-topper was the 1.9 GTI. Awesome handling, a cracking little pocket rocket.
Re: Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? by Ikenna351(m): 8:17pm On Aug 17, 2014
king406: please if u can help me find the right specifications of my 207 I would really appreciate, I bought it from a friend and I donno what engine is in the car, its a 2007 model, I4 (don't knw the displacement), 5speed manual, this is not a common car so its very hard to know the engine, but from the sound of the engine I think its a turbo engine, there is nothing written on the engine or any badge on the body of the car, it has a large single exhaust pipe, I can post pictures of it if u need it, and u know how peugeot sell their hatchbacks, there is trendi, sport, GTi, SW, I've searched google so many times but fail to find the right car and engine spec, thanks @ikenna351

Post or text me the VIN. With that, i can post what engine is in that engine bay.

You may want to consider reposting this in Peugeot thread, so that we dont derail this thread.

Ikenna
Re: Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? by yungboss(m): 8:28pm On Aug 17, 2014
Siena:

The 205 range-topper was the 1.9 GTI. Awesome handling, a cracking little pocket rocket.
you,sir,are right. High revving little engine...
Re: Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? by auhanson(m): 12:05am On Aug 18, 2014
Siena:

Yes you are right, when i max out my w202 Benz c180 esprit, hoping to hit the 240 km/h calibrated mark , it almost hit the 200km/h mark but never exceeded it, where as my Benz 190(230 engine) will always hit the 200km/h mark out of the 220 km/h speedo calibration.

I wouldn't use it for contest except my 190, not until such a time i should be able to install turbo to it, cos even my 190 does faster take off than it. Also, the auto gear kickdown to 3 in my 190, is an added advantage compared to the manual gearbox of the c180
Re: Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? by Nobody: 2:21am On Aug 18, 2014
king406: please if u can help me find the right specifications of my 207 I would really appreciate, I bought it from a friend and I donno what engine is in the car, its a 2007 model, I4 (don't knw the displacement), 5speed manual, this is not a common car so its very hard to know the engine, but from the sound of the engine I think its a turbo engine, there is nothing written on the engine or any badge on the body of the car, it has a large single exhaust pipe, I can post pictures of it if u need it, and u know how peugeot sell their hatchbacks, there is trendi, sport, GTi, SW, I've searched google so many times but fail to find the right car and engine spec, thanks @ikenna351

1) You can't tell the engine that is inside a car based on the badge. I had a 505 STi that had a turbo engine in it. I had a Mazda pickup truck that came with a 2.2 liter 4 cylinder and I replaced the engine with a 5.0 liter V8 engine, I left the badge alone to further confuse Corvettes on why a lowly pick up truck is continuously in front of them despite their best intention.

2) A personal recommendation, stop asking questions on NL until you have single handedly figured out if your car has a turbo engine in it or not. I know NL is to educate but what you have here is that you lack the most basic understanding of your car. How can you buy a car without knowing what engine it has in it?

2 Likes

Re: Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? by king406(m): 11:25pm On Aug 18, 2014
CityNG:

1) You can't tell the engine that is inside a car based on the badge. I had a 505 STi that had a turbo engine in it. I had a Mazda pickup truck that came with a 2.2 liter 4 cylinder and I replaced the engine with a 5.0 liter V8 engine, I left the badge alone to further confuse Corvettes on why a lowly pick up truck is continuously in front of them despite their best intention.

2) A personal recommendation, stop asking questions on NL until you have single handedly figured out if your car has a turbo engine in it or not. I know NL is to educate but what you have here is that you lack the most basic understanding of your car. How can you buy a car without knowing what engine it has in it?
I have my own reasons for buying the car, I mean u don't even know how I got the car whether I was desperate to buy a car or I got it at a low price, or if someone gave it to me for free. Anyway are u in Nigeria? Coz there are no corvettes in nigeria, maybe a few in abuja and lagos but its not a car that can be easily seen
Re: Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? by Nobody: 11:42pm On Aug 18, 2014
king406: I have my own reasons for buying the car, I mean u don't even know how I got the car whether I was desperate to buy a car or I got it at a low price, or if someone gave it to me for free. Anyway are u in Nigeria? Coz there are no corvettes in nigeria, maybe a few in abuja and lagos but its not a car that can be easily seen

Where I live has no bearing on you not knowing the propulsion system in your car.

You're still on here arguing and don't even know the gravity of your automotive cluelessness.

Ps: you also need some English comprehension skills.
Re: Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? by Nobody: 11:58pm On Aug 18, 2014
king406: I have my own reasons for buying the car, I mean u don't even know how I got the car whether I was desperate to buy a car or I got it at a low price, or if someone gave it to me for free. Anyway are u in Nigeria? Coz there are no corvettes in nigeria, maybe a few in abuja and lagos but its not a car that can be easily seen

Dude, simply admit you messed up, buying a car without knowing what engine it has. Buying a car BLIND, so to speak.

Paid for, received as a gift, knowing what engine your car has is as basic as knowing what colour it is. How on earth would you buy parts for your car, if you don't know what you car actually is??

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) ... (43) (Reply)

Meet Nigerians Who Own Bugatti Veyron Car(Photos) / Ayo Fayose's New Official Ride (PHOTOS) 1957 Mercedes Benz 220S Sedan / Lagos Number Plate Abbreviations & What They Mean

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.