Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,291 members, 7,954,152 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 01:16 PM

Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? - Car Talk (23) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? (105683 Views)

Has Anyone Driven An Innoson??? / Whats D Longest time U ve Driven Ur Car Without A Trip To Mechanic / Have You Ever Driven With Google Maps In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) ... (43) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? by Jacksolo4me(m): 1:01pm On Aug 20, 2014
Being following silently....

I think there's a misunderstanding here...

The badge of a stock sedan/SUV/Truck tells little of what's under the hood(Engine type/Block/Cylinder capacity)

For eg.A Honda Accord has a 1.8L badge trim at the rear...what type of Engine does it have?

Do you know if it's a V6 transplant or a 2.4L Honda Vtec or its actual 1.8L Honda Unit Until the hood is popped open?

Or a toyota TRD emblem on a Toyota Corolla S means it's probably a V6 cos it has dual exhaust and looks FAST

Or Boko Haram grin

What CityNG point(s) is to an extent is that a badge emblem/Exhaust note tells little of what a car outputs...Please see reason for it is highly correct.

And I understand the point raised by you sir.a 115hp camry vs a 2.7L 159 hp truck..my two cents goes to your whooping da blizzard outta it...

Your 115hp camry vs a V6 245 hp truck with almost twice the weight would most probably be a tough one but you coming out on top.

Your 115hp camry vs a 2.4L 145 hp transplant on a tacoma?..how would we know if it was the actual engine in the car?

Now please enough with the Toyota Hilux super speed acceleration shunt(regardless of where or how it's driven it's still is a plus size model!)..No offense intended.

A cars indicated Speed (on a speedometer tells - As referenced close to how fast the object is moving through the air - True or Actual speed)-How fast the GL450 ran and overtook -True Speeds should be lower than that Except if u have some precision speed measuring device.

Basic aerodynamics speaks of Drag and Air resistance which it would need be calibrated(corrected for instrument/interference error)for it be considered accurate.

A cars weight is manufactured so it's in tandem with how much Power and toque is required to efficiently run the vehicle putting the consumer into perspective.(now why do we modify a slow heavy sedan?)

The GL450 example is plausible with SUV'S in its class.

The camry thread would soon have its first sacrificial donor car for engine mods grin.
Re: Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? by skj1377(m): 6:54pm On Aug 20, 2014
king406: yes oga ikenna351 I've been waiting for u 406 geek, I want to know between a peugeot 406 EW12 and V6 vs honda accord 2008 V8, which one is faster?? I want to know this once and for all

sometimes its not about the speed 200km/h or 230km/h honda, toyota or whatever its more of safety at high speed and most importantly the braking system . 406 for example the v6 version gets to 170km/h very fast but starts taking time to go beyond at 190km/h it lacks all power. you will have to wait a bit to reach 200km/h besides the road might bend soon and you have to slow down again on and on like that. you also have to put an eye on the temperature the car might overheat when you list expect lastly 406 v6 does not have good brakes if you press the brakes with intensity at 190km/h the car might somersault into the nearest ditch or valley or at best the car will make a loud screeching sound and stop after a considerable distance.
406 is not stable at high speed it tends to dance v6 is worse you struggle to keep it on the road the car is crap, cornering and braking in a 406 is a no no no please slow down or you will be off the road in no time. finally never hit a dog at high speed the power steering hose is in front.
i think people should be careful with honda accord the car somersaults at the slightest provocation i have seen a few funny stuff like the tire pulling out after a pothole (2007 honda accord)at ningi kano road or the car rolling over because one tire was on the shoulder of the road in a corner along super smooth newly constructed yola kaltungo road i watched this happen it was a 2008 honda. finally i had to rescue the driver of a 2004 honda after he overtook me in my toyota hilux at 160km/h only to rollover at the next corner for no obvious reason other than the honda could not take that bend i have the picture will post if people want to see.
toyota camry 2007 also known as muscle is another rollover expert. in fact my friend was almost killed in his newly bough 3million camry luckily he insured it, when he was paid his claims he added money and bought a benz. i asked why he said if it where a benz he will not have somersaulted. how did it happen he was on high speed 140km/h! tried to avoid a car by going into the road shoulder only to somersault when he tried to get back on the road. besides to buttress his point i see a few of them somersaulted on the highway mostly solo accidents sometimes on straight roads sometimes you will wonder what caused it could it be this bump or that pothole. mallam nasiru el rufai's son died in a toyota lexus on a super smooth abuja road. if you ask me i will tell you thats toyota for you.
guys pls be careful speeding with some cars life has no duplicate forget all the talk of horse power and v6 think of how safe you are at those high speeds.

3 Likes

Re: Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? by Nobody: 7:21pm On Aug 20, 2014
over speeding kills...and if we don't get killed, we're just lucky or slammed the breaks on time. I remember driving a bit fast along Oba akran road towards agege end at dulux some sunday, back in the day, on the inner lane...but wasn't used to that road, cos it had been a while i drove on it. Unfortunately, i tried overtaking a mumu, who didnt want me to, but the inner lane is narrow and rough and there was this omo lanke (wheel cart pusher)...those aboki guys with 8 kegs and motorcycle tires, wheel barrows. Anyway...i couldn't brake because there was this large pot hole, my car literally flew over and when it hit ground managed to screech to a halt at the point where i cleared the aboki wheel cart....the guy kinda vanished when i hit it. kegs got spewed on inner lane, water up in the air like a fountain, then on my car, like a whole keg, engine still running, car safely halted on pedestrian pathway like lane, little scratch on the bumper. ( I think i had impact with my left chasis bar, for those of you familiar with Accord 07 chasis). I was just thinking at the time...OMG, why didn't i do that insurance.

Anyway, gave aboki 2k for his Idiocy and suicidal tendency for pushing cart on inner lane, and left there b4 police join my matter. Nobody stopped to help. But luckily i got out unscathed.

Lesson learnt: Don't over speed on a road you are not familiar with
Re: Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? by Nobody: 7:33pm On Aug 20, 2014
gmyguy: over speeding kills...and if we don't get killed, we're just lucky or slammed the breaks on time. I remember driving a bit fast along Oba akran road towards agege end at dulux some sunday, back in the day, on the inner lane...but wasn't used to that road, cos it had been a while i drove on it. Unfortunately, i tried overtaking a mumu, who didnt want me to, but the inner lane is narrow and rough and there was this omo lanke (wheel cart pusher)...those aboki guys with 8 kegs and motorcycle tires, wheel barrows. Anyway...i couldn't brake because there was this large pot hole, my car literally flew over and when it hit ground managed to screech to a halt at the point where i cleared the aboki wheel cart....the guy kinda vanished when i hit it. kegs got spewed on inner lane, water up in the air like a fountain, then on my car, like a whole keg, engine still running, car safely halted on pedestrian pathway like lane, little scratch on the bumper. ( I think i had impact with my left chasis bar, for those of you familiar with Accord 07 chasis). I was just thinking at the time...OMG, why didn't i do that insurance.

Anyway, gave aboki 2k for his Idiocy and suicidal tendency for pushing cart on inner lane, and left there b4 police join my matter. Nobody stopped to help. But luckily i got out unscathed.

Pretty much don't over speed on any public road.

It's not you or your equipment but the other person. The faster you go the more control you loose or yield over to physics.

I have no desire to own any "fast" car in Nigeria. A basic solid axle (preferably two of them) SUV will suffice.

4 weeks ago on Lagos Ibadan road, I watched some fool pass us at very high speed in the rain. About two miles down the road there he was on the side of the road. He had apparently hit an unknown pothole. The impact sheared off the complete wheel assembly (shocks, brakes, wheel), inner and outer fender and the drivers door. He was seriously lucky to be alive.

Here in the US we do all this performance modifications but we have track days that we can take our cars to.

2 Likes

Re: Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? by abatically(m): 7:43pm On Aug 20, 2014
gmyguy: over speeding kills...and if we don't get killed, we're just lucky or slammed the breaks on time. I remember driving a bit fast along Oba akran road towards agege end at dulux some sunday, back in the day, on the inner lane...but wasn't used to that road, cos it had been a while i drove on it. Unfortunately, i tried overtaking a mumu, who didnt want me to, but the inner lane is narrow and rough and there was this omo lanke (wheel cart pusher)...those aboki guys with 8 kegs and motorcycle tires, wheel barrows. Anyway...i couldn't brake because there was this large pot hole, my car literally flew over and when it hit ground managed to screech to a halt at the point where i cleared the aboki wheel cart....the guy kinda vanished when i hit it. kegs got spewed on inner lane, water up in the air like a fountain, then on my car, like a whole keg, engine still running, car safely halted on pedestrian pathway like lane, little scratch on the bumper. ( I think i had impact with my left chasis bar, for those of you familiar with Accord 07 chasis). I was just thinking at the time...OMG, why didn't i do that insurance.

You are seriously overspeeding on Oba Akran road? I think u are probably the one with suicidal tendency. That road is one of the worst in Ikeja . You will never find 500 meters stretch of smooth tarmac on that road, its filled with pot holes and patched up at every few meters. Only if u don't love ur car will u do more than 80km/hr on that road with a sedan. Unless of course u are driving an SUV with high ground clearance and very good suspension.
Re: Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? by yungboss(m): 8:20pm On Aug 20, 2014
skj1377:

sometimes its not about the speed 200km/h or 230km/h honda, toyota or whatever its more of safety at high speed and most importantly the braking system . 406 for example the v6 version gets to 170km/h very fast but starts taking time to go beyond at 190km/h it lacks all power. you will have to wait a bit to reach 200km/h besides the road might bend soon and you have to slow down again on and on like that. you also have to put an eye on the temperature the car might overheat when you list expect lastly 406 v6 does not have good brakes if you press the brakes with intensity at 190km/h the car might somersault into the nearest ditch or valley or at best the car will make a loud screeching sound and stop after a considerable distance.
406 is not stable at high speed it tends to dance v6 is worse you struggle to keep it on the road the car is crap, cornering and braking in a 406 is a no no no please slow down or you will be off the road in no time. finally never hit a dog at high speed the power steering hose is in front.
i think people should be careful with honda accord the car somersaults at the slightest provocation i have seen a few funny stuff like the tire pulling out after a pothole (2007 honda accord)at ningi kano road or the car rolling over because one tire was on the shoulder of the road in a corner along super smooth newly constructed yola kaltungo road i watched this happen it was a 2008 honda. finally i had to rescue the driver of a 2004 honda after he overtook me in my toyota hilux at 160km/h only to rollover at the next corner for no obvious reason other than the honda could not take that bend i have the picture will post if people want to see.
toyota camry 2007 also known as muscle is another rollover expert. in fact my friend was almost killed in his newly bough 3million camry luckily he insured it, when he was paid his claims he added money and bought a benz. i asked why he said if it where a benz he will not have somersaulted. how did it happen he was on high speed 140km/h! tried to avoid a car by going into the road shoulder only to somersault when he tried to get back on the road. besides to buttress his point i see a few of them somersaulted on the highway mostly solo accidents sometimes on straight roads sometimes you will wonder what caused it could it be this bump or that pothole. mallam nasiru el rufai's son died in a toyota lexus on a super smooth abuja road. if you ask me i will tell you thats toyota for you.
guys pls be careful speeding with some cars life has no duplicate forget all the talk of horse power and v6 think of how safe you are at those high speeds.

Bro, most of the stories you narrated had nothing to do with the cars, I have seen many Honda cars and Toyota Camrys take on easy bends on the highway, a driver naturally should not "fly" into a bend else, accident may occur,whether BMW or Mercedes. They are/were all designed to a limit,i.e, they have their cornering limits, some are more 'forgiveable' in such times though.

2 Likes

Re: Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? by Nobody: 8:57pm On Aug 20, 2014
yungboss:
Bro, most of the stories you narrated had nothing to do with the cars, I have seen many Honda cars and Toyota Camrys take on easy bends on the highway, a driver naturally should not "fly" into a bend else, accident may occur,whether BMW or Mercedes. They are/were all designed to a limit,i.e, they have their cornering limits, some are more 'forgiveable' in such times though.

I agree.

Princess Diana, as an example, died in an S class. Arguably one of the safest cars from one of the safety innovative leaders in the automobile arena. Clearly the safety limit of the vehicle was exceeded by the drunken driver.

4 Likes

Re: Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? by Nobody: 11:09pm On Aug 20, 2014
abatically:

You are seriously overspeeding on Oba Akran road? I think u are probably the one with suicidal tendency. That road is one of the worst in Ikeja . You will never find 500 meters stretch of smooth tarmac on that road, its filled with pot holes and patched up at every few meters. Only if u don't love ur car will u do more than 80km/hr on that road with a sedan. Unless of course u are driving an SUV with high ground clearance and very good suspension.
i know...i hadn't been in that area for months...lesson learnt, only crash i've ever had
Re: Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? by Nobody: 11:11pm On Aug 20, 2014
abatically:

i think i was doing btw 80 and 100, i just made a wrong decision at overtaking on the bad road segments, i wasnt doing like 140 or that
Re: Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? by auhanson(m): 1:00pm On Aug 21, 2014
CityNG:

But the badge can also be wrong.

A favorite car fad is debadging (at least here in the states), removing all badges completely. Now what?

I have seen normal Golfs here with GTi engine transplants. I have owned a VW Beetle (classic) with an early Porsche 911 engine, a mate has owned a Porsche 914 with a Chevy 454 engine in it, I have owned a Porsche 924 with a Buick V8 engine in it, a Mazda pickup truck with a comp lee Ford Mustang V8 power plant in it.

The most accurate way to tell is for the hop dot be cracked open.

However, this argument started because a car owner couldn't tell if his car had a turbo engine in it and thought it might be turbo due to the sound it made?

No badge can cure that condition unless you crack open the hood, look for turbo plumbings and the actual pump itself.

PS: I'm writing from the perspective of the actual car owner, not an observer.

Yes the badge can be wrong like in my own case: I have a benz 190 with 2.3e badge an 80s machine, now thats suppose to carry {a 230 4 cylinder engine with a displacement of 2,299 cc and 8V (2 valves per cylinder) with a torque of 205 Nm---151 ib-ft at 3500 rpm; with a power output of 136 bhp at 5100rpm; with a top speed of 203 km/h tho speedo reads 220km/h; with acceleration 0-60 mph in 9.50 sec. but on the contrary , my car is a complete tune up}it does much more better than that for years now:
Mine is a complete tune up with systems of couplers on the engine, nexus exhaust system,215/65/15 tyres with reinforce suspension and throttle system to impact an acceleration of 0-60mph(100km/h) in 8.4 seconds with extra 22hp output..i would always be infront of you no matter what if you get deceived by the badge, my c class(c180 esprit) is no match to this 80's machine , and i have had a couple of contest with it without any rival. So the badge do deceive so to say

1 Like

Re: Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? by abatically(m): 1:17pm On Aug 21, 2014
auhanson:

Yes the badge can be wrong like in my own case: I have a benz 190 with 2.3e badge an 80s machine, now thats suppose to carry {a 230 4 cylinder engine with a displacement of 2,299 cc and 8V (2 valves per cylinder) with a torque of 205 Nm---151 ib-ft at 3500 rpm; with a power output of 136 bhp at 5100rpm; with a top speed of 203 km/h tho speedo reads 220km/h; with acceleration 0-60 mph in 9.50 sec. but on the contrary , my car is a complete tune up}it does much more better than that for years now:
Mine is a complete tune up with systems of couplers on the engine, nexus exhaust system,215/65/15 tyres with reinforce suspension and throttle system to impact an acceleration of 0-60mph(100km/h) in 8.4 seconds with extra 22hp output..i would always be infront of you no matter what if you get deceived by the badge, my c class(c180 esprit) is no match to this 80's machine , and i have had a couple of contest with it without any rival. So the badge do deceive so to say

Yes badge doesn't matter sometimes, but here in Nigeria it does matter. I can tell u only a very few people tune their cars here. Moreover u will hardly find someone driving a newer car (2005 upwards) with modified engine. I mean what is really there to tune? So badge matters in case of newer cars. Most cars with modified or tuned engines are old cars.

1 Like

Re: Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? by 9icetoo(m): 1:24pm On Aug 21, 2014
skj1377:

I have a problem with your post. There is much more to speed and control. It doesn't matter if you are driving a Ferrari, BMW, Camry or Honda. Your ability to control a car at high speed depends a lot on your skills as a driver, the condition of your car (tyres, suspension, weight distribution etc), road condition and traffic condition. You can still flip a Lamborghini over if you are an unskilled driver. I have taken bends at 140km/hr with my Camry countless times and we have come come out of the experience unscathed. I know the limits of my car and I know my limits. I have seen countless folks take bends from the inside out rather than approaching the bend from outside and turning inwards and when they run into trouble, they slam their brakes and expect their cars to perform a miracle. Guess what; they lose control and spin out. You witnessed poor driving at best with the honda guy. He sped into a bend without calculating how he was going to get out of it. Your Hilux is actually the rollover expert and not the camry muscle. The camry muscle has a lower CG than your Hilux as does the Honda. Maybe the owners of the Hondas used substandard parts in their suspensions or ignored the warning signs (which a lot of Honda owners are guilty of). If you stay in Ph and know the road from from airforce bus stop to eliozu, you will recall that there are two crazy bends on that road. I used to race some friends on that road and guess where most of them come short; the bends! They almost always speed into those bends on the inside lane while i drop my gear while approaching the bend from the outside lane. When they step on their brakes to negotiate the bend, i just accelerate past them. Stopped it a while ago cos it was ruining my bearings and tires. I drive a Big For Nothing by the way and they are always surprised at how I manage to do it. By the way, the 406 you wrote about must have serious issues which the owner has refused to attend to. 406 is a heavy car, you do not expect it to have the same stopping distance as smaller midsized cars.

1 Like

Re: Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? by yungboss(m): 2:27pm On Aug 21, 2014
9icetoo:
I have a problem with your post. There is much more to speed and control. It doesn't matter if you are driving a Ferrari, BMW, Camry or Honda. Your ability to control a car at high speed depends a lot on your skills as a driver, the condition of your car (tyres, suspension, weight distribution etc), road condition and traffic condition. You can still flip a Lamborghini over if you are an unskilled driver. I have taken bends at 140km/hr with my Camry countless times and we have come come out of the experience unscathed. I know the limits of my car and I know my limits. I have seen countless folks take bends from the inside out rather than approaching the bend from outside and turning inwards and when they run into trouble, they slam their brakes and expect their cars to perform a miracle. Guess what; they lose control and spin out. You witnessed poor driving at best with the honda guy. He sped into a bend without calculating how he was going to get out of it. Your Hilux is actually the rollover expert and not the camry muscle. The camry muscle has a lower CG than your Hilux as does the Honda. Maybe the owners of the Hondas used substandard parts in their suspensions or ignored the warning signs (which a lot of Honda owners are guilty of). If you stay in Ph and know the road from from airforce bus stop to eliozu, you will recall that there are two crazy bends on that road. I used to race some friends on that road and guess where most of them come short; the bends! They almost always speed into those bends on the inside lane while i drop my gear while approaching the bend from the outside lane. When they step on their brakes to negotiate the bend, i just accelerate past them. Stopped it a while ago cos it was ruining my bearings and tires. I drive a Big For Nothing by the way and they are always surprised at how I manage to do it. By the way, the 406 you wrote about must have serious issues which the owner has refused to attend to. 406 is a heavy car, you do not expect it to have the same stopping distance as smaller midsized cars.
you are correct 9icetoo. There are techniques that make for excellent driving, it takes some calculation to drive on challenging roads, if we had race tracks in Nigeria, it would have helped alot of us understand better.
it's best to approach a bend from the outside and out from the inside. In performance, braking distance is as good as acceleration, what's the use of good acceleration with poor braking? When I look at cars, I consider that sometimes before 0-60...is what I prefer many atimes.
as for those cars mentioned by ski...their chassis are not as dismal as painted...

1 Like

Re: Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? by Ikenna351(m): 2:39pm On Aug 21, 2014
skj1377:

. 406 for example the v6 version gets to 170km/h very fast but starts taking time to go beyond at 190km/h it lacks all power. you will have to wait a bit to reach 200km/h besides the road might bend soon and you have to slow down again on and on like that. you also have to put an eye on the temperature the car might overheat when you list expect lastly[b] 406 v6 does not have good brakes[/b] if you press the brakes with intensity at 190km/h the car might somersault into the nearest ditch or valley or at best the car will make a loud screeching sound and stop after a considerable distance.

I am not surprised such a fable above came from Nairaland. I would be surprised if it came from real Car forums, expecially the French ones.

If I didn't own the same 406 V6 you talked about, I would have been confused that you could be right. In your fairly tale story, a car with 4 Brake systems, including ABS will make a screeching sound when hard braked on high speed? In your fairly story, a V6 406 might sumersault when braked hard on high speed? What 406 V6 were you actually referring to? Peugeot or the one they produced in your compound? Because if it was the same Peugeot D9 V6 parked right now in my office car park i drove to work in, then probably you were sleep-typing when you posted that post. Honestly. Please, if your ABS ECU is warning you on MFD or instrument panel, it means you should go and deal with it. We are not even talking about Electronic Brake Force that comes as standard in all D9 V6, aside ESP & ABS that works together. Let me educate you. A fault in ABS system on D9 will deactivate ESP (Electronic Stability Program), until the ABS fault is sorted out.

If I may ask, is it the same Peugeot 406 which till date Federal govt uses as excorts for Ministers, Fed. Public office holders, Military & Para-military heads, etc? Those of us that do more of highway driving see the way these escorts drive these 406s on highways, yet they refuse to dump them since you claimed they are not safe on highspeeds. Funny thing is, these 406 they use are all PAN production, meaning none is V6. Now the V6 versions that were designed for speed, you are saying are non handlers, yet the I-4s still remain what these guys use, even as old as these 406s have become? If the 406 has been claiming the life of FG drivers and public officials, why still use the 406 till date for that purpose, even when they have become old cars? You think FG cant afford to replace them since they are not "Safe" as you claimed? Honestly, your Fable has no part 2.

As for what you said about 406 V6 power steering hose in the front, you were wrong. All Peugeots with V6 engine comes/came as standard with Variable Ratio Steering, not the conventional PAS (Power Assisted Steering), which started with 505 V6. In 406 V6, it has no steering hose where you claimed. Rather, it has 2 metal pipes directly under the condenser (close to 2 radiator fans) that supplies and returns ATF from Servotronic Regulator. And thats how all their V6 steering are been set up. Any impact that will touch those 2 pipes will touch the 2 radiator fans, A/C condenser and maybe the Radiator, depending on the impact. So preach what you are certain, not what you think or heard. I have hit and ran over a sheep along Lokoja - Enugu highway sometime in the past, on high speed with my then 605 V6 that had the 406 V6 steering set up, yet i didnt experienced your story above.

406 owners will tell you that their temp gauge needle have never exceeded 90 degree celsius, no matter the speed they do or dont do, once the engine runs more than 30 minutes & cooling system in good condition. So, where you got such information about 406 V6 cooling system is weird. Please, have you ever sat behind a Peugeot 406 V6 wheel, let alone drive one?

I dont come online to boast to the world the number of speeds I do. Not because I dont like speed, after all, I didnt acquire my V6s to admire their engine bays. But I need you to know you were completely wrong with how you described a Peugeot 406 v6. If you claimed yours "dance"on highspeed, thats a lie, a clear one. But if you are claiming that on highspeed, yours fishtail or shifts tail when you hit a pothole, then I would suggest you go and check your rear stabilizer/Anti-roll bar linkages and bushings. It will happen to any car, irrespective of brand, even the Benz you tried to portray in your post as "Perfect" Cars.

In one of the Peugeot forums i belong to, a guy took his Peugeot 406 v6 for a drive in Autobahn (Germany) with someone. His passenger took picture of the instrument panel while on the drive. He attached and posted the picture for all to see. The speedometer needle was resting on the maximum speed (find out the maximum speed of 406 V6 on Instr. panel yourself). But what amazed me was not what the speedometer showed, but what the tachometer showed. I mean, where the rpm was, at the speed the car was doing, was all that caught my attention. I couldnt help but appreciated mine more.

Please, you are free to carry on with your campaign, if that makes you feel good. I only needed to let you know someone else own that car you talked about and he "shaked his head"after reading your post. That's all.

Ikenna

3 Likes

Re: Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? by Nobody: 2:42pm On Aug 21, 2014
abatically:

Yes badge doesn't matter sometimes, but here in Nigeria it does matter. I can tell u only a very few people tune their cars here. Moreover u will hardly find someone driving a newer car (2005 upwards) with modified engine. I mean what is really there to tune? So badge matters in case of newer cars. Most cars with modified or tuned engines are old cars.

You should increase the depth of your automobile knowledge.

In fact newer cars are much easier to tune than old cars.

I increased the power output of my Audi A4 by self programming (loading a purchased pre configured tune) and added 25hp inside of 5 minutes without handling any wrench.

I am able to reprogram the ECU in my Pontiac Trans Am in 5 minutes and make all sorts of changes to the performance (shifting the performance curves from low end torque to high end horsepower).

Please do not continue to make ridiculous ascertations such as this.
Re: Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? by skj1377(m): 4:16pm On Aug 21, 2014
Ikenna351:

I am not surprised such a fable above came from Nairaland. I would be surprised if it came from real Car forums, expecially the French ones.

If I didn't own the same 406 V6 you talked about, I would have been confused that you could be right. In your fairly tale story, a car with 4 Brake systems, including ABS will make a screeching sound when hard braked on high speed? In your fairly story, a V6 406 might sumersault when braked hard on high speed? What 406 V6 were you actually referring to? Peugeot or the one they produced in your compound? Because if it was the same Peugeot D9 V6 parked right now in my office car park i drove to work in, then probably you were sleep-typing when you posted that post. Honestly. Please, if your ABS ECU is warning you on MFD or instrument panel, it means you should go and deal with it. We are not even talking about Electronic Brake Force that comes as standard in all D9 V6, aside ESP & ABS that works together. Let me educate you. A fault in ABS system on D9 will deactivate ESP (Electronic Stability Program), until the ABS fault is sorted out.

If I may ask, is it the same Peugeot 406 which till date Federal govt uses as excorts for Ministers, Fed. Public office holders, Military & Para-military heads, etc? Those of us that do more of highway driving see the way these escorts drive these 406s on highways, yet they refuse to dump them since you claimed they are not safe on highspeeds. Funny thing is, these 406 they use are all PAN production, meaning none is V6. Now the V6 versions that were designed for speed, you are saying are non handlers, yet the I-4s still remain what these guys use, even as old as these 406s have become? If the 406 has been claiming the life of FG drivers and public officials, why still use the 406 till date for that purpose, even when they have become old cars? You think FG cant afford to replace them since they are not "Safe" as you claimed? Honestly, your Fable has no part 2.

As for what you said about 406 V6 power steering hose in the front, you were wrong. All Peugeots with V6 engine comes/came as standard with Variable Ratio Steering, not the conventional PAS (Power Assisted Steering), which started with 505 V6. In 406 V6, it has no steering hose where you claimed. Rather, it has 2 metal pipes directly under the condenser (close to 2 radiator fans) that supplies and returns ATF from Servotronic Regulator. And thats how all their V6 steering are been set up. Any impact that will touch those 2 pipes will touch the 2 radiator fans, A/C condenser and maybe the Radiator, depending on the impact. So preach what you are certain, not what you think or heard. I have hit and ran over a sheep along Lokoja - Enugu highway sometime in the past, on high speed with my then 605 V6 that had the 406 V6 steering set up, yet i didnt experienced your story above.

406 owners will tell you that their temp gauge needle have never exceeded 90 degree celsius, no matter the speed they do or dont do, once the engine runs more than 30 minutes & cooling system in good condition. So, where you got such information about 406 V6 cooling system is weird. Please, have you ever sat behind a Peugeot 406 V6 wheel, let alone drive one?

I dont come online to boast to the world the number of speeds I do. Not because I dont like speed, after all, I didnt acquire my V6s to admire their engine bays. But I need you to know you were completely wrong with how you described a Peugeot 406 v6. If you claimed yours "dance"on highspeed, thats a lie, a clear one. But if you are claiming that on highspeed, yours fishtail or shifts tail when you hit a pothole, then I would suggest you go and check your rear stabilizer/Anti-roll bar linkages and bushings. It will happen to any car, irrespective of brand, even the Benz you tried to portray in your post as "Perfect" Cars.

In one of the Peugeot forums i belong to, a guy took his Peugeot 406 v6 for a drive in Autobahn (Germany) with someone. His passenger took picture of the instrument panel while on the drive. He attached and posted the picture for all to see. The speedometer needle was resting on the maximum speed (find out the maximum speed of 406 V6 on Instr. panel yourself). But what amazed me was not what the speedometer showed, but what the tachometer showed. I mean, where the rpm was, at the speed the car was doing, was all that caught my attention. I couldnt help but appreciated mine more.

Please, you are free to carry on with your campaign, if that makes you feel good. I only needed to let you know someone else own that car you talked about and he "shaked his head"after reading your post. That's all.

Ikenna

good day sir i don't want to argue but you said "which started with 505 V6. In 406 V6, it has no steering hose where you claimed. Rather, it has 2 metal pipes directly under the condenser (close to 2 radiator fans) that supplies and returns ATF from Servotronic Regulator. And thats how all their V6 steering are been set up. Any impact that will touch those 2 pipes will touch the 2 radiator fans, A/C condenser and maybe the Radiator, depending on the impact" all these things are before the radiator which is in front of the engine. its a design flaw i know you love 406 so you don't see the flaw. check other cars most power steering assembly is attached to the engine and also a good distance from the radiator or condenser. so if you have a frontal impact you don't have to think of any power steering component to replace!!!
secondly the 406 v6 is still a front wheel drive (or is it a back wheel drive?) and suffers a phenomenon called torque steer its an engineering phenomenon so it will apply to your 406 v6 if you push it to the limits i have experienced it on rapid acceleration. that's another design flow.
well i don't own a 406 but it was once my dream car. 2002 my uncle bought one brand new imported from France and i loved to drive it fast from akure to abuja then abuja to lagos. I wanted 406 to be my first car but when i drove the likes of bmw, benz and audi i agreed there are safer and more comfortable cars to drive fast and stop smartly.
finally the 406 drinks water regularly mostly when it starts getting old, besides many stop on the road due to overheating look at the bonnet of most 406 cars you will notice signs of depression on the tip close to the lion sign if the car is as good as you say why do people depress the bonnet or is the bonnet so soft it easily gets depressed. Those are tell tale signs of needing to check this or that in the engine

i dont know if you have experienced this with your 406 " i was driving from abuja to gombe by 11 pm at night and 406 asked me to 'stop'" 406 is designed with a stop sign that lights up on the dashboard. yes its good for a car to be designed with a stop sign if it lights up during serious problems like over heating or low oil pressure and not when all you have to do is stop the car and start it again.
Re: Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? by abatically(m): 4:20pm On Aug 21, 2014
CityNG:

You should increase the depth of your automobile knowledge.

In fact newer cars are much easier to tune than old cars.

I increased the power output of my Audi A4 by self programming (loading a purchased pre configured tune) and added 25hp inside of 5 minutes without handling any wrench.

I am able to reprogram the ECU in my Pontiac Trans Am in 5 minutes and make all sorts of changes to the performance (shifting the performance curves from low end torque to high end horsepower).

Please do not continue to make ridiculous ascertations such as this.

Ridiculous ascertations u may call it, I call it reality. Only a minute percentage of Nigerians are real petrol heads that go the extra mile of tuning new cars. Rather than buying a new car and then tuning it to get an extra 25-30 HP, they rather buy the one with the required HP.

I will say it again, only people with old cars care about tuning. Owners of newer cars don't care.
Re: Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? by Nobody: 5:28pm On Aug 21, 2014
abatically:

Ridiculous ascertations u may call it, I call it reality. Only a minute percentage of Nigerians are real petrol heads that go the extra mile of tuning new cars. Rather than buying a new car and then tuning it to get an extra 25-30 HP, they rather buy the one with the required HP.

I will say it again, only people with old cars care about tuning. Owners of newer cars don't care.

You're all over the road.

What I call a ridiculous assertions was your statement that older cars are easier to improve their performance than new cars. This shows a lack of automotive maturity and acumen. It would have been okay if you accept that you were wrong and submit to learning a thing or two. But then you wouldn't be the typical Nigerian if you did that.

So now you've went from saying that Nigerians do not improve their vehicles to admitting that a few percentage does. SO I was right all along. Do you just like to argue for no reason? I should leave you alone to wallow in your ignorance but then someone else may run into this thread and take your nonsensical ramblings as the truth.

Let me give you an assignment.

You have a 1972 BMW Bavaria and a 2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution. You're looking to get at least 50 horsepower from both. Tell me your action plan.
Re: Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? by Okijajuju1(m): 5:32pm On Aug 21, 2014
CityNG:

What I call a ridiculous assertions was your statement that older cars are easier to improve their performance than new cars. This shows a lack of automotive maturity and acumen. It would have been okay if you accept that you were wrong and submit to learning a thing or two. But then you wouldn't be the typical Nigerian if you did that.

So now you've went from saying that Nigerians do not improve their vehicles to admitting that a few percentage does. SO I was right all along. Do you just like to argue for no reason? I should leave you alone to wallow in your ignorance but then someone else may run into this thread and take your nonsensical ramblings as the truth.

You have a 1972 BMW Bavaria and a 2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution. You're looking to get at least 50 horsepower from both. Tell me your action plan.

^^^^ This Nigga must be a Lecturer cos he just schooled abatically and have him some home work as punishment... grin

@ Topic.. 210Km/Hr.. twice on PHC - Uyo via Ogoni & Benin - Ore express road. Vehicle - 2010 Hyundai Sonata Gls.

3 Likes

Re: Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? by Ishilove: 5:42pm On Aug 21, 2014
Okijajuju1:

^^^^ This Nigga must be a Lecturer cos he just schooled abatically and have him some home work as punishment... grin

@ Topic.. 210Km/Hr.. twice on PHC - Uyo via Ogoni & Benin - Ore express road. Vehicle - 2010 Hyundai Sonata Gls.
Dassalie. No be dat kabukabu I see dat day wey I give you lift go Okoko?? I vivdly recall a volkswagen passat... It broke down and you were flagging vehicles down. I saw this pimpled faced, skinny fella beside this smoking, pre-historical contraption, and I was like, "is this not Okija ma nigga??" So I stopped, and behold it was truly you...

Tok true and shame the devil angry
Re: Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? by Okijajuju1(m): 5:49pm On Aug 21, 2014
Ishilove:
Dassalie. No be dat kabukabu I see dat day wey I give you lift go Okoko?? I vivdly recall a volkswagen passat... It broke down and you were flagging vehicles down. I saw this pimpled faced, skinny fella beside this smoking, pre-historical contraption, and I was like, "is this not Okija ma nigga??" So I stopped, and behold it was truly you...

Even Devil sef say make you no call ehn name inside this your lie o!!

shocked

Shooo.. So you see me inside Range Sports come dey lie say na passat because I go gree stop for you that day abi..

2 Likes

Re: Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? by Nobody: 6:06pm On Aug 21, 2014
You can add 21 horsepower and 19 pounds of torque just by using Cobb on a modern Mitsubishi Evolution. No tools, no automotive knowledge.

Tell me how you're going to get 21 horsepower from any old car without touching a tool.

Re: Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? by skj1377(m): 6:21pm On Aug 21, 2014
Ishilove:

Ok this is one of the reasons i love Nairaland some comments just make me laugh to the point of shedding tears. In this case people had to see the joke and they laughed too.
this is a simple matter Okija, snap the range rover sports and the sonata 2010 and post, that should keep Ishilove away from you for some time. Ishilove show us the car you picked okija in since you did not specify any thing any car will do thanks.
Re: Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? by abatically(m): 6:45pm On Aug 21, 2014
CityNG:

Geez must u spew rubbish all the time or u just make things up to buttress ur points? Can u tell me where I wrote that older cars are easier to tune? Oh yes, of course I never said that.

I only said people with old cars are more interested in tuning their cars to get extra power than newer ones which is true. A 1992 BMW 325 owner who has so much sentimental attachment to his car than buy a newr model would be more interested in a v8 swap than someone with a 2006 model. Here in Nigeria nobody (or only a very few) would buy a 2010 Toyota Camry v6 and then do a v8 transplant. It makes no sense, he would rather buy a Lexus with v8 engine as default. Even to add a few HP with cold air intake etc requires importing of parts, really doesn't worth it.

3 Likes

Re: Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? by Ishilove: 7:06pm On Aug 21, 2014
Okijajuju1:

Even Devil sef say make you no call ehn name inside this your lie o!!

shocked

Shooo.. So you see me inside Range Sports come dey lie say na passat because I go gree stop for you that day abi..

Hian... Okija... I fear you. Guy, so you sabi lie like this? This your lie dey wear facecap, come wear canvas and socks on top, even tie wrapper join... So you are denying I saw you stranded along Agbara-tollgate-Badagry road, I stopped for you, picked you and dropped you at your residence in Okoko, where you now went in search of your mechanic to tow your vehicle?? Hiaaaaan!!! shocked undecided

Anyway, when I post the pictures we shall see who has a Range Rover and who drives a passat. undecided

I'm at work now. Waiting for traffic to subside. That Lekki road is hell cry. When I get home I will post pictures and shame the devil angry
Re: Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? by Ishilove: 7:09pm On Aug 21, 2014
skj1377:

Ok this is one of the reasons i love Nairaland some comments just make me laugh to the point of shedding tears. In this case people had to see the joke and they laughed too.
this is a simple matter Okija, snap the range rover sports and the sonata 2010 and post, that should keep Ishilove away from you for some time. Ishilove show us the car you picked okija in since you did not specify any thing any car will do thanks.
Its a Toyota Rav4, 2012. When I get home I will post pishures. Okija is just doing bad-belleism. Nothing wrong with a Passat so I wonder why he is denying it. Afterall is owning a Passat not better than Legedes Benz?? undecided
Re: Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? by Edipee(m): 7:13pm On Aug 21, 2014
Ishilove:
Hian... Okija... I fear you. Guy, so you sabi lie like this? This your lie dey wear facecap, come wear canvas and socks on top, even tie wrapper join... shocked undecided

Anyway, when I post the pictures we shall see who has a Range Rover and who drives a passat. undecided

I'm at work now. Waiting for traffic to subside. That Lekki road is hell cry. When I get home I will post pictures and shame the devil angry
The rate at which you post on nairaland makes it difficult for me to belief that you are working. Pictures of you at work or Idonbelivit.
Re: Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? by abatically(m): 7:14pm On Aug 21, 2014
CityNG: You can add 21 horsepower and 19 pounds of torque just by using Cobb on a modern Mitsubishi Evolution. No tools, no automotive knowledge.

Tell me how you're going to get 21 horsepower from any old car without touching a tool.

And tell me how many Nigerians would own this device? We don't even have garages that do this. You don't expect me to go through the hassle of importing one of these, and then downloading a very large data and then flash my ecu just to add only 20hp. If I can add 100hp with this then it would be worth the trouble but just 10-20 HP? Bro not worth it and I believe majority of Nigerians would reason with me.

Adding more HP in Nigeria is mainly through engine swap. And rather than someone who owns a 2010 car to swap in a v8, he would rather buy another car that comes with v8. Only someone who drives a 1989 Benz 190 would swap a bigger engine. FACT.

1 Like

Re: Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? by Ishilove: 7:16pm On Aug 21, 2014
Edipee: The rate at which you post on nairaland makes it difficult for me to belief that you are working. Pictures of you at work or Idonbelivit.
Check my dp. I OWN that place so I can afford to take time off to post on Nairaland!! angry

3 Likes

Re: Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? by Nobody: 7:20pm On Aug 21, 2014
abatically:

Geez must u spew rubbish all the time or u just make things up to buttress ur points? Can u tell me where I wrote that older cars are easier to tune? Oh yes, of course I never said that.

I only said people with old cars are more interested in tuning their cars to get extra power than newer ones which is true. A 1992 BMW 325 owner who has so much sentimental attachment to his car than buy a newr model would be more interested in a v8 swap than someone with a 2006 model. Here in Nigeria nobody (or only a very few) would buy a 2010 Toyota Camry v6 and then do a v8 transplant. It makes no sense, he would rather buy a Lexus with v8 engine as default. Even to add a few HP with cold air intake etc requires importing of parts, really doesn't worth it.

Stop being melodramatic and simmer down so you can learn a thing or two.

If you display this penchant for being an alarmist on a public fora I wonder how you are in your personal life. It's not that serious.

While it's not really my job to educate you but I cannot not stand by and watch you post idiocies and untruths.

You only know what you like to do and you can't speak for others. That you're probably lazy and have no automotive ability or incentive doesn't mean that others share your fate.

You're simply inept when it comes to automotive.

Submit your discipline in automotive including your experiences. Try not to lie and your Uncles car doesn't count.

1 Like

Re: Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? by Edipee(m): 7:20pm On Aug 21, 2014
Ishilove:
Check my dp. I OWN that place so I can afford to take time off to post on Nairaland!! angry
I SEE!
Re: Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? by Nobody: 7:23pm On Aug 21, 2014
abatically:

And tell me how many Nigerians would own this device? We don't even have garages that do this. You don't expect me to go through the hassle of importing one of these, and then downloading a very large data and then flash my ecu just to add only 20hp. If I can add 100hp with this then it would be worth the trouble but just 10-20 HP? Bro not worth it and I believe majority of Nigerians would reason with me.

Adding more HP in Nigeria is mainly through engine swap. And rather than someone who owns a 2010 car to swap in a v8, he would rather buy another car that comes with v8. Only someone who drives a 1989 Benz 190 would swap a bigger engine. FACT.

That's the issue right there, you are still stuck in visiting garages. This is why you are not aware of what is possible to do in modern cars.

Why do you need to visit a garage or even crack a tool to gain a simple 20hp in 2014??

And by the way 20hp increase is no joke. You wouldn't know since you have never made any attempt in your life to increase the performance of a vehicle. Prove me wrong with detailed pictures where you did this.

(1) (2) (3) ... (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) ... (43) (Reply)

Meet Nigerians Who Own Bugatti Veyron Car(Photos) / Ayo Fayose's New Official Ride (PHOTOS) 1957 Mercedes Benz 220S Sedan / Lagos Number Plate Abbreviations & What They Mean

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 270
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.