Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,483 members, 7,816,143 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:29 AM

Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? (24990 Views)

Reno Omokri: Senate Should Learn From Jonathan's Tolerance To Freedom Of Speech / Debunking The Over-rated Religious Tolerance Claim of SWners / Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by ektbear: 12:34am On Aug 25, 2012
Q: Are The Yoruba The Number One?
A: Yes.

1 Like

Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by PeeDaVinci: 12:42am On Aug 25, 2012
of course, there is the internal tension and conflicts, but the yorubas have found a way of curtailing its degeneration into something really big.

i am especially thrilled by the fact that the role of religion in politics is not very significant among them, for instance, in lagos, we had jakande(muslim), otedola(xtian), tinubu (muslim), fashola (muslim). the gov of ondo state /which is predominantly christian) is a muslim (mimiko), osun state had a christian gov and deputy governor at the same time (oyinlola, erelu obada) . . . .

the only fear i have is that the polarization of nigeria along religious lines may damage the balance the yorubas have been able to keep over the years.

1 Like

Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by kpolli(m): 12:43am On Aug 25, 2012
Yorubas don't like Hindu worshippers. . . . So the ans is no
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by greatgod2012(f): 12:51am On Aug 25, 2012
i think d answer to dis question shd be either yes or no, to me, YES.

1 Like

Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by Tonitelli: 12:57am On Aug 25, 2012
bashr8: this is the second time am reading an article where a poorly brought up igbo child while trying to praise someone else for what ever reason makes a mockery of his own people. anyway this thread is about yoruba people so lets not derail it , am out.
naijababe:

I am curious, if I say the Igbos are the most hardworking set of people in Nigeria and their entrepreneurial can be surpassed by none, does that make a Yoruba that has not been brought up well? Just asking is all.

Abeg help me ask this mr.know-all..how has this guy made a mockery of the igbo people?and how does this article make him poorly brought up?the guy says something he has observed and done some research on,instead of engaging him constructively u talk crap..
The kinda stuff I read on NL....smh!

1 Like

Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by dayokanu(m): 1:04am On Aug 25, 2012
naijababe:

I am curious, if I say the Igbos are the most hardworking set of people in Nigeria and their entrepreneurial can be surpassed by none, does that make a Yoruba that has not been brought up well? Just asking is all.

Yoruba intelligence always makes Igbos look primitive, I am waiting for his response to your question

1 Like

Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by dayokanu(m): 1:06am On Aug 25, 2012
Yoruba realize that you are human first before religion or any other consideration

My aunt is a Moslem and my dad has never missed an Ileya without sending her ram or money for ram

1 Like

Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by LEXYLOV: 1:08am On Aug 25, 2012
Not only in term of religion tolerance yoruba ppl are best but also in many aspect, respect, manners, and caring make me love them also, If only yoruba ppl make the whole Nigeria, i believe till now Nigeria passport will still visa free to many country in europe and also in the whole world cause they are good ppl 75% of them i can say. wink

1 Like

Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by bashr8: 1:10am On Aug 25, 2012
dayokanu:

Yoruba intelligence always makes Igbos look primitive, I am waiting for his response to your question
i wanted to keep out but prinitive yprubas like you that lack class and run their mouth without thinking will always have a way to draqg me back , now if they create a thread that igbos are the most hard working will dumb ofenmanu like you allow that thread to thrive , anumani

2 Likes

Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by Ekukemania(m): 1:12am On Aug 25, 2012
Yoroobas have no principle.

To them, anything goes.

The author is Efulefu ( lost igbo who can't speak or locate his village ).
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by dayokanu(m): 1:12am On Aug 25, 2012
bashr8: i wanted to keep out but prinitive yprubas like you that lack class and run their mouth without thinking will always have a way to draqg me back , now if they create a thread that igbos are the most hard working will dumb ofenmanu like you allow that thread to thrive , anumani

Anuofia answer a simple question, Inferiority complex no go send you to hell before your time

naijababe: I am curious, if I say the Igbos are the most hardworking set of people in Nigeria and their entrepreneurial can be surpassed by none, does that make a Yoruba that has not been brought up well? Just asking is all.
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by blasterman(m): 1:12am On Aug 25, 2012
The truth is this yoruba ppl realize that Islam and xtianity are both foreign. Alhaji na stranger or hajj visitor infact Arab no like una. Rome sef na Italian zone where ballotelli is called king kong so no place like home. In ondo them still dey do ogun festival ( ogun na god of iron) And there is a saying that many roads lead into the market. With the market representing God so to speak. But anywAyz fhuck off my drick u pricks
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by bashr8: 1:12am On Aug 25, 2012
naijababe:

if you say igbos are the most enterprising and finish it by saying you thought your people where enterprising to but later found out they are lazy then i will take it that your parents did not bring you up well to in respect to educating you about your people , culture ,lifestyle etc.
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by bashr8: 1:13am On Aug 25, 2012
dayokanu:

Anuofia answer a simple question, Inferiority complex no go send you to hell before your time

ozu nwuru anwu did she ask you , typical yoruba loud mouth.
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by kunlemessi: 1:14am On Aug 25, 2012
The story about the father being a muslim, mother cele, first born pentecostal...is just like my family's story
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by Samsantos9: 1:34am On Aug 25, 2012
[quote author=johnie]Are the Yoruba the number one in religious tolerance?
August 24, 2012 by Azuka Onwuka

When it comes to religion, are the Yoruba people of Nigeria the most tolerant race in the whole world? It may not be wise to say yes because of the absence of any endorsement of such a position by a global body like the United Nations. But having travelled to many parts of Nigeria and some parts of the world; having read books about several peoples of the world, I can comfortably say that I have not seen or heard of any country or people that tolerate one another on the issue of religion like the Yoruba of Nigeria.

As a child growing up in Igboland, I thought the Igbo were the most tolerant in matters of religion. For example, the only mosque in my hometown Nnewi was built right at the gate of the Diocesan Church Centre of the Anglican Church, which was the central church for Anglicans in the town when the head of the diocese was in Onitsha. The mosque was owned by the Hausa-Fulani community. Items like sugarcane, carrot and kulikuli were sold beside the mosque, and cobblers took care of people’s shoes there. I never missed the sugarcane and kulikuli any time I had cause to be at the church. Christians never bothered that Muslims (who were not sons and daughters of the community) situated their mosque by the gate of the central church of the Anglican Communion in the town.

There was no Muslim in my primary school; in my secondary school, there was a Muslim boy – a boy whose father was a policeman posted to the town. On Thursdays when we had our moral instruction classes, the chaplain of the school who was also the vice-principal, always announced that the Muslim boy was the only one exempted from participating in moral instruction classes because the school had no Islamic teacher. Other pupils must either be at the Roman Catholic section or the Protestant section. We all envied the boy for the preferential treatment he always got as the only Muslim boy in our school.

With this type of background, I grew up with the assumption that the Igbo must be the most tolerant in matters of religion in Nigeria. But there were events that made me have a rethink later in life. When I was growing up, my community had two major Christian denominations: Anglicans and Catholics. Almost all the schools in the town were founded by the two churches. Parents usually sent their children to these schools based on their Christian denominations, even after the state government took over the schools. At the close of school each day, there was usually a point where pupils of the Anglican Church-founded schools met pupils of the Catholic Church-founded school. Preachers, church teachers and parents had indoctrinated the children that only their denomination was the one endorsed by God. So at such meetings, taunting songs would be sung and a fight would ensue between Anglican and Catholic children.

But that was not all. Many young men and women could not marry one another because one was Anglican and the other was Catholic. Especially from the Catholic community, it was always an uphill task for a girl to be allowed to be married by an Anglican or a member of the Protestant Church. But one thing that was shared by all the Christian denominations was that no married woman was allowed to attend a church different from the one her husband attended. The few who insisted on continuing with the church of their birth while in their matrimonial homes either caused a deep rift in their marriage or even lost their marriage entirely.

Compare that with a typical Yoruba family. A couple with six children could have a family like this: the man is a Muslim; the wife attends the Celestial Church of Christ; the first child started as a Muslim but converted to Christianity and is now a member of a Pentecostal church; the second child is a devout Muslim; the third and fifth children are members of the Methodist or Baptist church; the fourth child attends no church or mosque but prefers the Yoruba gods whenever he has any spiritual needs; and the last child is an Anglican.

One would assume that with this seemingly cacophony of religions in this family, there would be constant religious tension, hatred, quarrels and fights in it. No. In Yorubaland, no one disturbs the other because of religion. Interestingly, during Islamic festivals, Christians join their Muslim relatives to celebrate. Also during Christian festivals, the Muslims join their relatives to celebrate. For example, the Governor of Lagos State, Mr. Babatunde Fashola, is a Muslim, while his wife is a Christian.
I totally disagree with u dere are examples of a yoruba man who would not allow his child 2 marry from a person 4rm another tribe I think u're a bit tribalistic on this issue there are pple other tribes dat are also religious tolerant while odas are nt tolerate jst like there are tolerant yorubas and intolerant ones.....
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by folahann(m): 1:37am On Aug 25, 2012
I've never thought of it at all. Just realised it's very true. There are uncoutable families in my hometown with Muslim father and christian mother.
I do have a huge galaxy of muslim friends too , I'm talking of very close friends here. Some of them even know the Bible more than I do.
I do like the southern muslims very much, they are violent-free and very calm.
What I observed though is that northern muslims in the south don't pray with a southern muslim leading the prayers. The northern ones gather themselves somewhere instead of going to a mosque.
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by Tolaaaaannni(f): 1:47am On Aug 25, 2012
Hmm very interesting topic. But i think im going to stay on the sideline for this one.
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by tintingz(m): 1:49am On Aug 25, 2012
paris10:

The Bible God says "Thou shall not kill", the Quran Allah says " Kill any infidel who does not believe". Does 70 virgins sounds familiar to you? The Bible God says " Forgive those who trespass against you and do good to them who despise you". Quran Allah the opposite. There are thousands conflicting views which we don't need to go through.

Who is who then? Bible says this, Quran says the opposite. Religion....a too big a word!
you are a monkey for saying this YORUBA WILL ALWAYS STAND AS ONE FAMILY...now let see comparisons are listed below:
Comparison commandment of verses from the Bible and Qur'an:
Bible Scriptures: Exodus 20
Qur'an
3: Thou shalt have no other gods before me.
17:22: Do not associate another deity with God.
47:19: Know therefore that there is no god but
God.
4-6: Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven
image, or any likeness of any thing that is in
heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath,
or that is in the water under the earth....
6:103: No visions can encompass Him, but He
encompasses all visions.
14:35: My Lord, make this a peaceful land, and
protect me and my children from worshiping
idols.
42:11: There is nothing that equals (like) Him.
7: Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD
thy God in vain; for the LORD will not hold him
guiltless that taketh his name in vain.
2:224: Do not use God's name in your oaths as
an excuse to prevent you from dealing justly.
73:8: Remember the name of your Lord and
devote yourself to Him exclusively.
76:25 Glorify the name of your Lord morning
and evening.
8-11: Remember the sabbath day, to keep it
holy. Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy
work: But the seventh day is the sabbath of the
LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work,
thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy
manservant [male slave], nor thy maidservant
[female slave], nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger
that is within thy gates....
See below.
12: Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy
days may be long upon the land which the
LORD thy God giveth thee.
17:23-24: You shall be kind to your parents. If
one or both of them live to their old age in
your lifetime, you shall not say to them any
word of contempt nor repel them, and you
shall address them in kind words. You shall
lower to them the wing of humility and pray:
"O Lord! Bestow on them Your blessings just as
they cherished me when I was a little child."
13: Thou shalt not kill.
17:33: And do not take any human being's life -
that God willed to be sacred - other than in [the
pursuit of] justice."
14: Thou shalt not commit adultery.
17:32: You shall not commit adultery. Surely it
is a shameful deed and an evil way.
15: Thou shalt not steal.
5:38 & 39: The thief, male or female, you shall
mark their hands as a punishment for their
crime, and to serve as an example from GOD.
GOD is Almighty, Most Wise.
16: Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy
neighbour.
25:72: And (know that the true servants of God
are) those who do not bear witness to
falsehood.
Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house,
thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife, nor
his manservant [male slave], nor his
maidservant [female slave], nor his ox, nor his
ass, nor any thing that is thy neighbour's.
4:32: Do not covet the bounties that God has
bestowed more abundantly on some of you
than on others.
BOTH COMMANDMENTS(Bible &Quran) ARE THE SAME WE YORUBA MUSLIMS AND CHRISTIANS BELIEVE IN SAME GOD ALLAH AND ELLAH...omo Yoruba nimi

1 Like

Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by Ekukemania(m): 1:51am On Aug 25, 2012
Igbos and yoruba's shouldn't mix.

Any igbo that mix with them should be banished.
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by Tolaaaaannni(f): 1:53am On Aug 25, 2012
paris10:

The Bible God says "Thou shall not kill", the Quran Allah says " Kill any infidel who does not believe". [/b]Does 70 virgins sounds familiar to you? The Bible God says " Forgive those who trespass against you and do good to them who despise you". Quran Allah the opposite. There are thousands conflicting views which we don't need to go through.

Who is who then? Bible says this, Quran says the opposite. Religion....a too big a word!

I just couldn't help but disagree with you on this one, because the bible also talked about this. Even though I'm a

christian i can't help but bring this issue up because jesus also preached about jihad in

Luke 19 verses 27-28 it says:

"27- [b]But those enemies of mine who did not want me to be king over them—bring them here and kill them in

front of me

28- After Jesus had said this, he went on ahead, going up to Jerusalem."

So its not just only islam that preaches about violence, christianity also did. The only difference is that there

aren't any psychos following this part of the bible. undecided

Christianity and Islam are so similar, I don't know why people don't see it. Me personally, I think that we serve the same God, but that's just me talking.

3 Likes

Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by Nobody: 1:54am On Aug 25, 2012
TRIBALISM IS THE BIGGEST OPPRESSOR IN NIGERIA, IT ISNT GOVERNMENT. DAMN IT
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by crown777(m): 1:56am On Aug 25, 2012
In order to have faith in our own path, we don't need to prove that someone else's path is wrong.

3 Likes

Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by MRMICKMEN: 1:59am On Aug 25, 2012
who cares
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by akintun: 2:00am On Aug 25, 2012
Yoruba's are not even d most tolerant in Nigeria. D Igala's are pretty tolerant.
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by Nobody: 2:24am On Aug 25, 2012
We are extremely tolerant overall, i mean, how can you explain a Yoruba phucking and marrying an ibo?
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by Sweetnecta: 2:26am On Aug 25, 2012
@Desola: Aburo, return back to Islam. It is the way of Success; Ahya lal Falah [part of the call to prayer]

@ileke idi: amerika o gba tribalism lowo omo yi. Visit big city then.
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by Nobody: 2:28am On Aug 25, 2012
Sweetnecta: @Desola: Aburo, return back to Islam. It is the way of Success; Ahya lal Falah [part of the call to prayer]

@ileke idi: amerika o gba tribalism lowo omo yi. Visit big city then.

My Ekiti sister, how you dey? kiss

Weren't you trying to turn me towards Islam a while ago? Now it's Desola's turn? grin grin
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by Nobody: 2:30am On Aug 25, 2012
kpolli: Yorubas don't like Hindu worshippers. . . . So the ans is no

Walahi!!! You have to be Igbo. . . .lies comot from una anus like watery shoit!!

Same Igbos who lied to their sister to come for business in a Lagos hotel, but ended up killing the poor child. What a set people!

8 Likes

Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by Nobody: 2:34am On Aug 25, 2012
*Ileke-IdI:

Walahi!!! You have to be Igbo. . . .lies comot from una anus like watery shoit!!

Same Igbos who lied to their sister to come for business in a Lagos hotel, but ended up killing the poor child. What a set people!

were you banned? why do u have an asterisk in front of your user name? Or are you a fake Ilekie-Idi? either ways, i would love to see your Ileke-Idi....

1 Like

Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by bittyend(m): 2:34am On Aug 25, 2012
engineerd: We are extremely tolerant overall, i mean, how can you explain a Yoruba phucking and marrying an ibo?

Bwahahahahaha

This is hysterical!!!

Sorry, I had to laugh. cheesy
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by Nobody: 2:49am On Aug 25, 2012
engineerd:

were you banned? why do u have an asterisk in front of your user name? Or are you a fake Ilekie-Idi? either ways, i would love to see your Ileke-Idi....

Either way, it aint gonna happen. tongue
Banned as usual. . . .Love, Seun.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

AKIRS Seals Off Guarantee Trust Bank Over Tax Default (Photos) / Zamfara: Full List Of PDP Candidates To Get INEC Certificates After Apc’s Loss / Fashola Tutors Anambra Political Appointees On Governance

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.