Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,814 members, 7,956,078 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 12:32 AM

Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka (31770 Views)

The Nigerian Nation Against General Buhari, By Wole Soyinka / Jonathan’s Igbo Internet Warriors Are A Disgrace To Humanity By C. Don Adinuba / Bringbackjonathan2015: The Wages Of Impunity By Wole Soyinka (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka by bakila: 4:06pm On Sep 24, 2012
Ok, Prof. Dem don hear you, they shall all convert to that you thing. For us LaillahhaillaLah.
Re: Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka by Sagamite(m): 4:09pm On Sep 24, 2012
AjanleKoko:

Holy Book ke.
Though the fellow is right after a fashion; Moslem activism on a global scale started in earnest after the British drove the Ottomans from the Middle East, and a lot of puppet regimes were empowered. Moslems never had widespread access to Western Europe prior to then. The Ottomans ruled a significant portion of Eastern Europe and the Middle East, and was an alternative power to the Christian West back in those days.

Latter-day Moslem activism is by and large a product of Western Imperialism, to be honest.

I disagree.

Mohammed is an icon that shaped the thinking and being of majority of his people (Arab people).

People are going to model themselves on such icon that they also see as a Prophet that speaks to God.

Mohammed was a warrior in the 5th century. He was a warrior that had little qualms in waging war, taking slaves and dominating conquered people if one goes to read about his history.

These approach has been embedded in the culture of Arabs since then (5th century).

It is even evident from their mode of celebration (swords and shooting in the air) till this day.

It is a no-brainer people of respective religions would model themselves on their most prominent messenger.

Arabs are aggressive people that will turn to violence if they feel offended especially by non-muslims.

And as Mohammed said in his farewell speech, they should respect fellow muslims. That is part of the reasons why they they treat other muslims different to non-muslims.
Re: Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka by Josephchuks: 4:09pm On Sep 24, 2012
I AM A BOLD MAN AND WILL FOREVER BE BOLD.WHEN OYEDEPO SLAPPED THAT GIRL I WAS AMONG THE PEOPLE THAT CONDEMNED THE ACT BECAUSE IF IT WAS OUR JESUS ON THE ALTER PREACHING LIKE DAVID WAS DOING THAT DAY,HE WOULD HAVE PRAYED AND HEALED THE LAD. BUT THAT NOTWITHSTANDING THAT MIDDLE-EAST KORAN ORIGINATED ISLAM IS NOT EVIL. SUFFICE TO SAY HERE THAT THEM THAT WORSHIP THE JUJU OR FALSE god WILL ALWAYS BE LIKE THEM. CRISIS TEACHING ISLAM WILL ALWAYS PRODUCE CRISIS. CAN SOME BODY BET ME HERE. NORTHERN NIGERIAN IS DOOMED FOREVER. NO PEACE IN SAUDI ARABIA,NO PEACE IN SYRIA,NO PEACE IN LIBYA,PAKISTAN,EGYPT,ALGERIA AND NAME IT.... ONE COMPOUND FOOL REPLIED MY PREVIOUS POST AND MADE IDIOTIC COMMENTS ABOUT ISRAEL. WHOSE LAND DID THE PALESTINIANS OCCUPIED? OKAY,SO THE SYRIANS KILLING SYRIANS ARE FIGHTING ISRAEL? LIBYANS KILLING LIBYANS BECAUSE OF ISRAEL.PAKISTAN,IRAQ,IRAN ALL ARE FIGHTING ISRAEL,RIGHT? I WILL SAY IT AGAIN AND ANY BODY THAT SAYS OTHERWISE CAN JUMP THE BRIDGE OR A MOVING MACK TRUCK. ANY BODY OR ORGANIZATION THAT PROMISES ME TO KILL PEOPLE IN MILLIONS AND BE MADE SECOND TO ALLAH IS EVIL.ANY god THAT CAN NOT KILL FOR HIMSELF IS WEAK AND MUST BE DISCARDED. ONCE AGAIN ISLAM PROMISED GOOD FOR EVIL DEEDS AND THEREFORE CAME FROM PIT OF HELL,FINAL.
Re: Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka by Faun(m): 4:09pm On Sep 24, 2012
kola oloye:

It is well.

You had to quote the WHOLE thing just to write this?
What a shame.

1 Like

Re: Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka by Sagamite(m): 4:10pm On Sep 24, 2012
bakila:
Simply uninformed.

Go ahead, inform me.
Re: Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka by Nobody: 4:10pm On Sep 24, 2012
During the first civilization; the Athens, they belive anything that occurs is attached to a particular god or some gods. They have the God of earthquake, God of thunder, God of the twins, God of rain, God of fire. Infact, if any disaster eg fire happens, they have to appease the God of fire. However, due to knowledge, science have made us to understand that these things are all geological changes and does not have anything to do with any God or whatsoever. Soon, when the eyes of people opens, they will know that reasoning is better than mere faith or religion. God is angry because most of us are foolish.
Re: Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka by Nobody: 4:14pm On Sep 24, 2012
Audukaya: Soyinka you look like an informed person but your notion on religion is loopsided.who ignite the recent violence across the glove? A christian ofcourse.

What glove?
Re: Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka by omodapson(m): 4:18pm On Sep 24, 2012
See them dey fight, muslims and christians, shio! This only gives credence to Soyinka's write-up. The solution to 90% of world's problems is to have no religion or have at most one religion.
Re: Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka by vanstanzy(m): 4:19pm On Sep 24, 2012
chimuchi: love ur neighbour as urself. hmmm

If Islam and everybody should stick to this phrase above, then the world as we know it would be a better place. But unfortunately, Islam and criminal minds think they know better.

1 Like

Re: Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka by AjanleKoko: 4:24pm On Sep 24, 2012
Sagamite:

I disagree.

Mohammed is an icon that shaped the thinking and being of majority of his people (Arab people).

People are going to model themselves on such icon that they also see as a Prophet that speaks to God.

Mohammed was a warrior in the 5th century. He was a warrior that had little qualms in waging war, taking slaves and dominating conquered people if one goes to read about his history.

These approach has been embedded in the culture of Arabs since then (5th century).

It is even evident from their mode of celebration (swords and shooting in the air) till this day.

It is a no-brainer people of respective religions would model themselves on there most prominent messenger.

Arabs are aggressive people that will turn to violence if they feel offended especially by non-muslims.

And as Mohammed said in his farewell speech, they should respect fellow muslims. That is part of the reasons why they they treat other muslims different to non-muslims.

So were Vikings, Norsemen, Huns, Barbarians, Franks etc. Yet Charlemagne is regarded as the father of modern-day Europe by most historians. No history tome is complete if there's no reference to Jenghiz Khan, the great emperor of the steppe. These guys were all barbarians, bloody butchers. The only reason why we don't hear these names anymore is simple: Their time don pass. And their descendants were the likes of Diderot, Talleyrand, Rosseau, Voltaire, etc. So we only think of them today as 'civilized'.

Forget all the religious small talk and slogans: Moslem extremism is the manifestation of 20th-century oppression of a large number of indigenous Moslem people, brought about by Western imperialists and the puppet leaders they installed in these countries. After all, Afghans, Tamils, Abu Sayaf (in the Phillipines), Pakistanis, are not Arabs ke.

Let's not stereotype Arabs. I work with a lot of them, and they are just like everyone else. Imagine stereotyping Nigerians because of Boko Haram or Tompolo's boys. The violence going on around the world today has nothing to do with religion, but more to do with striking a blow at the perceived oppressors.
Re: Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka by ignis: 4:27pm On Sep 24, 2012
He is right and he is wrong depending on perspective one look at it from.
Re: Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka by thelastPope(m): 4:34pm On Sep 24, 2012
My ReJoinder:

The writeup is eloquent and full of intellectual dexterity but the danger will be to applaud it because of its oratory powers instead of the contained facts.

Firstly, the definition of religion is so broad that many who say they are not religious do not realize how they quite easily slip into or even create their own religion. Here are some definitions of religion.

Definition of Religion:

1. The belief in and worship of a
superhuman controlling power, esp. a
personal God or gods

2. a personal set or institutionalized
system of religious attitudes, beliefs,
and practices

3. a cause, principle, or system of
beliefs held to with ardor and faith

The implication here is very implicating to all those who propose that religion is wrong and should be eradicated. Why? Because their stance quickly becomes a new religion as soon as they make it. Man is a religious being by birth just as man is a faith being by birth. For example when you hear the phrase, "you have no faith", it actually means you have no faith in a specific object or event. You actually do have faith in some other object or event. There is really nothing like faithlessness or non-belief. Unbelief means not believing in the object you are expected to believe in. A simple example is when a Christian calls someone an unbeliever. He is simply saying that person does not believe in the bible and it's truth. But that person believes something else. There is no vacuum in life.

Bringing it down to the prof's position, the implication is that by dispelling religion, the prof is creating a new religion. The falsehood of those who want religion eradicated is founded on the ignorance that religions are formed when men gather together in a conference and make rules and laws to guide and govern them. Wrong! Every human has the potential of creating a new religion every other day. Infact, millions of religions are practically created everyday. What we call religions of the world today are those whose creators conquered or influenced territories long and large enough to make their message spread and influence millions or even billions. Religion is simply the personal thoughts and convictions of men.

In conclusion, the prof, in trying to eradicate religion from the world, will only end up creating a new religion. Indeed, this will be the end result if any government tries to eradicate religion. This is very much supported by the pirates religion the prof created while he was in school. To advocate a world with no religion is to advocate a world of zombies. A world of men without freedom of thought and reason because as long as men think, reason and rationalise, religions will always be created and propagated.

Addendum: The problem is not religion itself but human nature. A religion is basically a function of it's founder's inner mental and spiritual dispositions. This is transferred to his followers. The rest is history.

1 Like

Re: Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka by omoghana22: 4:36pm On Sep 24, 2012
Am soo happy for proff. We need more people like him to fight againt human assasination. Religion, the worst thing happen to this world. I hate with passion. Most of this religious people are ignorant; religion has cos lot of division in human race. Come, get enlignted and say no to religion to make the world a better place once again.
Re: Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka by yeswecan(m): 4:39pm On Sep 24, 2012
ignis: He is right and he is wrong depending on perspective one look at it from.

The prof is right from on his analysis- sorry that's not up for debate. We can debate his recommendation though.

And for those who think Islam is the problem as opposed to religion, i say you are incorrect. On principle, there is no difference between an Islamic terrorist who adheres to the book and an American /christian supporter of Israel based of the book also. The evils of religion cannot be explained in written form -YES religion is against humanity.
Re: Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka by olempe(m): 4:40pm On Sep 24, 2012
ebamma: Take Islam out and the world will be in peace

Gbam!
Re: Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka by IYANGBALI: 4:41pm On Sep 24, 2012
shymexx:

^^^^^I concur 10000%!!! Religion has to go!!

Humanity > Religion!! cool
wetin pastors go dey chop?

1 Like

Re: Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka by thelastPope(m): 4:42pm On Sep 24, 2012
omodapson: See them dey fight, muslims and christians, shio! This only gives credence to Soyinka's write-up. The solution to 90% of world's problems is to have no religion or have at most one religion.

Antichrist doctrine. Babel. This is probably where people like Soyinka are going. But it can not work naturally. It will have to be enforced. The doctrines of freedom of worship, speech and association will have to be discarded.
Re: Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka by Sagamite(m): 4:42pm On Sep 24, 2012
AjanleKoko:

So were Vikings, Norsemen, Huns, Barbarians, Franks etc. Yet Charlemagne is regarded as the father of modern-day Europe by most historians. No history tome is complete if there's no reference to Jenghiz Khan, the great emperor of the steppe. These guys were all barbarians, bloody butchers. The only reason why we don't hear these names anymore is simple: Their time don pass.

They can't be, they did not speak to God!

If one of them claimed to have spoken to God, then he would be the father of modern day Europe, that is how daft human beings are.

If Ghengis Khan had only added the dimension of God to his conquest we would have a Khanirite religion today. He did not, so he cannot be a father of nothing.

Mohammed's time WILL NEVER pass, he played the God angle.

AjanleKoko:
Forget all the religious small talk and slogans: Moslem extremism is the manifestation of 20th-century oppression of a large number of indigenous Moslem people, brought about by Western imperialists and the puppet leaders they installed in these countries. After all, Afghans, Tamils, Abu Sayaf (in the Phillipines), Pakistanis, are not Arabs ke.

Partly so but I will say it categorically that if it was not A, "20th-century oppression of a large number of indigenous Moslem people", it would have been B, some other excuse.

I have noted, muslim societies do not like to be dominated but are happy to dominate others. Reality is that in real life, one group will always dominate another. And it will not always be muslims that will end up dominating, hence you will find it hard to keep them happy.

I am sure it is not because of "20th-century oppression of a large number of indigenous Moslem people" that Abu Sayyaf are choosing to terrorise others, or my paddies, Boko Haram are choosing to blow up people. It is purely another reason.

AjanleKoko:
Let's not stereotype Arabs. I work with a lot of them, and they are just like everyone else. Imagine stereotyping Nigerians because of Boko Haram or Tompolo's boys. The violence going on around the world today has nothing to do with religion, but more to do with striking a blow at the perceived oppressors.

The emphasis is "work with".

You are of the educated class, so I am sure people you work with will be of the educated class. Never use the educated class to make a generalisation of the people.

No people are utterly violent in my view, but I can confidently say the proclivity of violence is, and proportion of violent people are, higher in the Arab and Muslim society.

That is a cultural phenomena.

I will direct you to the cultural web thing I gave you last year. Mohammed is part of the myths and stories that shape the cultural paradigm of Arabs. The scimitars and other swords/daggers used in their flags and other picturial representation, shooting in the air as celebration and murals of martyrs with guns are all part of the symbols that shape the cultural paradigm of Arabs. Sharia (pretty violent legal system) is part of their control systems that shape the cultural paradigm of Arabs.

[img]http://www.idea.gov.uk/idk/aio/21550856[/img]
Re: Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka by mko2005: 4:42pm On Sep 24, 2012
musKeeto:
Christianity is a religion... Love for your fellow man isn't.

Anyone can practice love despite his religion.
You don't need religion to have common sense, and a conscience ...
We are called to live a christ like life !
Religion seeks to follow rituals and set down dogmas !
Christ never came to establish a religion but to reveal a life style ! Surprisingly,most people see Christianity as a religion ! But actually,it's not.

1 Like

Re: Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka by gbadexy(m): 4:44pm On Sep 24, 2012
Sagamite:

I disagree.

It is a no-brainer people of respective religions would model themselves on there most prominent messenger.

Arabs are naturally violent and aggressive, it is actually prophet Muhammad that tamed them through Islam.
They bury their daughters alive, commit violent acts at the slightest provocation and it was the prophet that stopped these.
The prophet was uncompromising and detests oppression and injustice and he didn't attack innocent people. The jews were living peacefully in jerusalem during the time of the prophet and muslim domination generally.
Re: Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka by Sagamite(m): 4:48pm On Sep 24, 2012
gbadexy:
Arabs are naturally violent and aggressive, it is actually prophet Muhammad that tamed them through Islam.
They bury their daughters alive, commit violent acts at the slightest provocation and it was the prophet that stopped these.

No doubt he tamed them and improved them but not to the degree of being non-violent.

He reduced and refined it, he did not eliminate it by any stretch of the word.

gbadexy:
The prophet was uncompromising and detests oppression and injustice and he didn't attack innocent people. The jews were living peacefully in jerusalem during the time of the prophet and muslim domination generally.

No, the Prophet did oppress.

He took slaves, took loot, killed off whole clans after victory & their surrender, ordered a torture and exploited defeated people.

The Jews were allowed to live peacefully as long as they accepted the oppression. We still have that kind of oppression in modern day Islamic countries in the Middle East! And some people in the North of Nigeria are keen to do the same.

Those are examples of when I say people imitate their icons.
Re: Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka by Nobody: 4:52pm On Sep 24, 2012
m.k.o2005:

Christ never came to establish a religion but to reveal a life style ! Surprisingly,most people see Christianity as a religion ! But actually,it's not.
Do you have the stamina to continue with this argument?
Re: Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka by mko2005: 4:54pm On Sep 24, 2012
OYINBOGOJU: Legend Fela has spoken about it 1 Millionth times....

One more way that proved Fela is a Prophet.

Religion is a crime against humanity
Yes i agree with you but sure not Christianity because Christianity isn't a religion but most people practice it as such hence the atrocities inherent in it's practice !
Christ came not to establish a religion but to reveal a life style !

1 Like

Re: Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka by Katsumoto: 4:55pm On Sep 24, 2012
AjanleKoko:

So were Vikings, Norsemen, Huns, Barbarians, Franks etc. Yet Charlemagne is regarded as the father of modern-day Europe by most historians. No history tome is complete if there's no reference to Jenghiz Khan, the great emperor of the steppe. These guys were all barbarians, bloody butchers. The only reason why we don't hear these names anymore is simple: Their time don pass. And their descendants were the likes of Diderot, Talleyrand, Rosseau, Voltaire, etc. So we only think of them today as 'civilized'.

First, The Vikings, Huns, and other Barbarians did not murder in the name of religion.

Second, Muslims were not the only religious group to suffer from western imperialism.

Third, Christian crusaders stopped the crusades in the 13th/14th century. If we agree that both were bad in that they both waged religious wars, why is it that one stopped waging wars over 800 years ago while the other hasn't?

Please read Bernard Lewis' "The Roots of Muslim Rage" where he traces the origins of rage from the conception of the religion, the requirements of followers to wage war when necessary, to imperialism and emasculation of the Muslim male.

2 Likes

Re: Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka by Sagamite(m): 4:55pm On Sep 24, 2012
m.k.o2005:

This is what I am talking about when I say people try and imitate the life and ways of their most prominent messenger!
Re: Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka by Nobody: 4:56pm On Sep 24, 2012
m.k.o2005:

Yes i agree with you but sure not Christianity because Christianity isn't a religion but most people practice it as such hence the atrocities inherent in it's practice !
Christ came not to establish a religion but to reveal a life style !
Buddha also came to establish a lifestyle and people made a god out of him, just like the Christians did with Christ... so Buddhism isn't a religion too...

Hindus will also tell you that Hinduism is also not a religion..

At least, all of you agree on one thing: religion is evil and causes more problems than it claims to solve..
Re: Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka by Sagamite(m): 4:59pm On Sep 24, 2012
Katsumoto:
Please read Bernard Lewis' "The Roots of Muslim Rage" where he traces the origins of rage from the conception of the religion, the requirements of followers to wage war when necessary, to imperialism and emasculation of the Muslim male.

I have not even read the book but I am inchoately already self-formulating similar perception from my little research as people that have done large-scale research and written a book.

Kai! Mo wah extremely intelligent! Mo Gbonaa! (I am extremely intelligent! I am hot!)
Re: Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka by AjanleKoko: 4:59pm On Sep 24, 2012
Katsumoto:

First, The Vikings, Huns, and other Barbarians did not murder in the name of religion.

Second, Muslims were not the only religious group to suffer from western imperialism.

Third, Christian crusaders stopped the crusades in the 13th/14th century. If we agree that both were bad in that they both waged religious wars, why is it that one stopped waging wars over 800 years ago while the other hasn't?

Bros.
They murdered in the name of whatever gods they believed in.
And the Crusades generally petered out due to the lack of resources, and bickering between the many states.
True, Moslems are not the only group to suffer from Western imperialism. But you misunderstood me there; I am not saying it justifies their reactions. Just saying that religion is a good motivation for them to cause trouble everywhere. Seeing as the rest of the world has assimilated them.
Re: Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka by thelastPope(m): 5:02pm On Sep 24, 2012
musKeeto:
Buddha also came to establish a lifestyle and people made a god out of him, just like the Christians did with Christ... so Buddhism isn't a religion too...

Hindus will also tell you that Hinduism is also not a religion..

At least, all of you agree on one thing: religion is evil and causes more problems than it claims to solve..

Are you religionless?
Re: Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka by Katsumoto: 5:05pm On Sep 24, 2012
AjanleKoko:

Bros.
They murdered in the name of whatever gods they believed in.
And the Crusades generally petered out due to the lack of resources, and bickering between the many states.
True, Moslems are not the only group to suffer from Western imperialism. But you misunderstood me there; I am not saying it justifies their reactions. Just saying that religion is a good motivation for them to cause trouble everywhere. Seeing as the rest of the world has assimilated them.

They murdered in the name of religion almost 1600 years ago while some are still murdering innocent people in the name of religion today. You can not treat a reformed murderer the same way as a man who keeps murdering even after he is forgiven and released.

The argument about imperialism is particularly weak when one considers that 1.4 Billion Chinese have a history of imperialism from the US, Britain and Japan. Why aren't the Chinese throwing around their WEIGHT today after all they have population (there are more Chinese than Muslims) and the resources to do so?

Edited

2 Likes

Re: Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka by redsun(m): 5:06pm On Sep 24, 2012
Sagamite:

I have not even read the book but I am inchoately already self-formulating similar perception from my little research as people that have done large-scale research and written a book.

Kai! Mo wah extremely intelligent! Mo Gbonaa! (I am extremely intelligent! I am hot!)

No,you are a clown.Are you really serious praising yourself like a male lizard(akatankpo) for guessing the obvious truth?
Re: Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka by Katsumoto: 5:07pm On Sep 24, 2012
Sagamite:

You are mad. Gbonaa ko gbedii ni. Yeye man grin grin grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply)

Fuel Scarcity: NNPC Moves Against 3 Marketers, Revoke Licenses / N5,000 Stipend: ​PDP Slams ​buhari, ​APC Senators / Sheikh Khalid Suspended For Criticising Buhari Over Kaduna Train Bombing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.