Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,755 members, 7,955,870 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 05:31 PM

Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka (31769 Views)

The Nigerian Nation Against General Buhari, By Wole Soyinka / Jonathan’s Igbo Internet Warriors Are A Disgrace To Humanity By C. Don Adinuba / Bringbackjonathan2015: The Wages Of Impunity By Wole Soyinka (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka by Nobody: 5:07pm On Sep 24, 2012
thelastPope:

Are you religionless?
Yes I am.
Re: Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka by Sagamite(m): 5:08pm On Sep 24, 2012
Katsumoto:

You are mad. Gbonaa ko gbedii ni. Yeye man grin grin grin grin grin

grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka by thelastPope(m): 5:12pm On Sep 24, 2012
musKeeto:
Yes I am.

By the definition of religion, no man is. Maybe you need to read and learn some more. That is the f00lishness of Soyinka's position. No man is religionless. That you do not follow the major religion doesn't make you religionless. You have a religion. Even if you are the only member, it is still a religion
Re: Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka by Tonex(m): 5:19pm On Sep 24, 2012
I think many people have missed the main point. Religion is not bad, but the wrong practice of religion is the problem

1 Like

Re: Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka by redsun(m): 5:19pm On Sep 24, 2012
thelastPope:

By the definition of religion, no man is. Maybe you need to read and learn some more. That is the f00lishness of Soyinka's position. No man is religionless. That you do not follow the major religion doesn't make you religionless. You have a religion. Even if you are the only member, it is still a religion

By religion he means organised and brainwashing religions like christianity and islam.They opium of the masses,used by crooked minded people to subject the gullible and the weak to life of illusion,ignorance,fear and misery.
Re: Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka by estheta: 5:25pm On Sep 24, 2012
I 've been reading with keen interest how many are busy defending their own religion, resorting to vulgar words in some cases. That's how the fight usually starts. Religion is supposed to be a personal thing and it's practise should not harm another. Christians should learn and extract the truth from the bible and that truth is Jesus whose teachings are "new wine" as it directs to the true almighty God, his father. Muslims should do the same from their book extracting the simple message of only one God. Other religious people should also extract truth from their heros messages. Organising religion and setting rules and regulations is actually the babylon. In the end, the true worshippers of God will worship God in spirit and in truth. In the end, there will be no worship houses for the hearts of humans will be the worship houses. This is bitter truth but defenders of organised religion will fight it just like they fought Christ, but he defeated them all. Christians confuse the bible with the word of God which is Jesus Christ, while muslims confuse the message of one God with religious writings.
Re: Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka by Wsdm: 5:27pm On Sep 24, 2012
This man is great indeed! But intelligence can not be compared to WISDOM. One of the philosopher of old (al -Ghazali) once said; "the gold is found in mud, and is used as ornament". The claims that religion has its adherence deviate from the true teachings does not make it the worst way of life. Human mind is generally corrupt, then what else can stop someone from doing a bad thing while alone if not the fear of a 'WATCHER' unseen that religion have made us to know?
Re: Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka by F00028: 5:28pm On Sep 24, 2012
gbadexy:
Who is this bloody bas.tard?
Son of a basta.rd!
What do you know of history, why don't you point out facts instead of showing your ignorance, slow poison gentleman christian.
abeg help me tell am.
Re: Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka by thelastPope(m): 5:29pm On Sep 24, 2012
redsun:

By religion he means organised and brainwashing religions like christianity and islam.They opium of the masses,used by crooked minded people to subject the gullible and the weak to life of illusion,ignorance and misery.

Again, a false position. Every human has the potential to form a religion and every human has both the potential and tendecy to organise it and use it as a tool to brainwash anyone they can. Including you and I and muskeeto! The question is if they will or even still when they will. Religions have been hijacked and adopted since the time of Babel. As kingdoms overcame kingdoms, they adopted and incoporated different religions. The real problem lay with human nature. When evil men see a religion has influenced so many people, they can seek for ways to hijack it so they can commit their evil intentions. In some cases, the evil men were able to form their own religions and spread it and achieve their intentions.

Like I said before, no man is religionless. Soyinka is wrong and a bit hypocritical. Same goes for Fella who kept saying religion was bad but practised a religion nonetheless. And he also brainwashed the weak and gullible. Some have still not recovered themselves till date

1 Like

Re: Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka by Sagamite(m): 5:34pm On Sep 24, 2012
F00028:
abeg help me tell am.

You are a person!

You are still yet to tell me if he attack in the name of God? Foool!
Re: Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka by Katsumoto: 5:35pm On Sep 24, 2012
thelastPope:

Again, a false position. Every human has the potential to form a religion and every human has both the potential and tendecy to organise it and use it as a tool to brainwash anyone they can. Including you and I and muskeeto! The question is if they will or even still when they will. Religions have been hijacked and adopted since the time of Babel. As kingdoms overcame kingdoms, they adopted and incoporated different religions. The real problem lay with human nature. When evil men see a religion has influenced so many people, they can seek for ways to hijack it so they can commit their evil intentions. In some cases, the evil men were able to form their own religions and spread it and achieve their intentions.

Like I said before, no man is religionless. Soyinka is wrong and a bit hypocritical. Same goes for Fella who kept saying religion was bad but practised a religion nonetheless.

Fela never said religion was bad; he stated that imported religion was bad. He was promoting the religion of his fathers.

And their are people without religion; you need to stop repeating that line about the hypothetical possibility of every man forming his own religion.
Re: Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka by AjanleKoko: 5:39pm On Sep 24, 2012
Katsumoto:

They murdered in the name of religion almost 1600 years ago while some are still murdering innocent people in the name of religion today. You can not treat a reformed murderer the same way as a man who keeps murdering even after he is forgiven and released.

The argument about imperialism is particularly when one considers that 1.4 Billion Chinese have a history of imperialism from the US, Britain and Japan. Why aren't the Chinese throwing around their WEIGHT today afterall they have population (there are more Chinese than Muslims) and the resources to do so?

LOL.
They are better at internalizing stuff. grin
Re: Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka by thelastPope(m): 5:42pm On Sep 24, 2012
Katsumoto:

Fela never said religion was bad; he stated that imported religion was bad. He was promoting the religion of his fathers.

And their are people without religion; you need to stop repeating that line about the hypothetical possibility of every man forming his own religion.

Google is your friend. Use it. Don't be lazy. Study. Oprah has formed a religion from preaching that she doesn't believe in religion. That's where they always end up because they are either ignorant or being mischievious and deceitful.
Re: Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka by redsun(m): 5:44pm On Sep 24, 2012
thelastPope:

Like I said before, no man is religionless. Soyinka is wrong and a bit hypocritical. Same goes for Fella who kept saying religion was bad but practised a religion nonetheless. And he also brainwashed the weak and gullible. Some have still not recovered themselves till date

I think you are trying to define religion here solely by name as you know it,not as a concept.The concept of any organisation depends on the people involve,their sense of reasoning,their drives and the unferstanding of the world around them.Christianity and islam in these regards,teaches the adherebnt to be ignorant of the surrounding,hate those that are not with them and put their faith/hope in eternal delusion.That is why they are bad for rationl society.
Re: Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka by Katsumoto: 5:45pm On Sep 24, 2012
thelastPope:

Google is your friend. Use it. Don't be lazy. Study. Oprah has formed a religion from preaching that she doesn't believe in religion. That's where they always end up because they are either ignorant or being mischievious and deceitful.

So because Oprah formed a religion, I equally have formed a religion?

You are insinuating that others are ignorant because you assume you are speaking from the most knowledgeable viewpoint. You can't even quote Fela properly.

I will attribute the condescending tone of your post to the probability that you are usually surrounded by morons who accept your godlike status.

1 Like

Re: Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka by danjalingo: 5:47pm On Sep 24, 2012
bokohalal:

Christians were also once promised earthly and heavenly rewards if they fought the 'mohammedans' in the 'holy land' of Jerusalem.
sometimes i wonder what sence we try to make with some of the things we say. are jews christians?
Re: Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka by Sagamite(m): 5:47pm On Sep 24, 2012
thelastPope:

Show us the link of the religion Oprah formed.

Point to us who/what they worship, the rituals and the other religious behaviours.

I wait.
Re: Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka by trent9002(m): 5:51pm On Sep 24, 2012
Organised Religion=Violence

Re: Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka by bokohalal(m): 5:51pm On Sep 24, 2012
dan jalingo: sometimes i wonder what sence we try to make with some of the things we say. are jews christians?

Do not see how your response is relevant to my posting
Re: Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka by thelastPope(m): 5:52pm On Sep 24, 2012
Katsumoto:

So because Oprah formed a religion, I equally have formed a religion?

You are insinuating that others are ignorant because you assume you are speaking from the most knowledgeable viewpoint. You can't even quote Fela properly.

I am not insinuating anything. Just following the book. I don't know more than anyone. I just pay more attention. Fela said religion was bad. I didn't misquote him
Re: Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka by Sagamite(m): 5:54pm On Sep 24, 2012
There is no other mainstream religion, bar Islam, or geographic people, bar Arabs, where it is acceptable for people to resort to "wish for Death" as preliminary approach to settle issues or where people raise kids to wish death on others and those that do are heroes (martyrs).

https://www.nairaland.com/1056934/anti-islam-movie-demonstration-kaduna#12301289

Only in Islam and mainly in Arab societies is such rampant.

They are violent people. Lets not be politically correct.
Re: Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka by Clemzy16(m): 5:56pm On Sep 24, 2012
bokohalal:

Christianity is just as bad as Islam or any other religion for that matter. The exploitation of the weak minded and poor Nigerians by flamboyant 'men of god' is worse than your enumerated good.

'The most potent weapon in the hands of the oppressor is the mind of the oppressed'-Steve Biko.
@bolded Atleast, it's better than killing innocent people for no good reason.
Re: Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka by Nobody: 5:56pm On Sep 24, 2012
thelastPope:

I am not insinuating anything. Just following the book. I don't know more than anyone. I just pay more attention. Fela said religion was bad. I didn't misquote him

I understand your point, but you should have said no one can be without a BELIEF SYSTEM - because we all believe in something, including the the so-called; atheist...

Religion and belief system are interchangeable..
Re: Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka by Katsumoto: 6:00pm On Sep 24, 2012
thelastPope:

What book are you following? Where did Fela say religion was bad? Please provide supporting facts quickly or accept you were wrong.

See Coffin for Head of State
I waka many business anywhere in Africa
I waka many business anywhere in Africa
North and South them get them policies
One Christian and the other one Muslim
Anywhere the Muslims them they reign
Na Senior Alhaji na him be Director
Anywhere the Christians them they reign
Na the best friend to Bishop na him be Director
It is a known fact that for many thousand years
We Africans we had our own traditions

These moneymaking organizations
Them come put we Africans in total confusion

Also Colomentality

The thing wey black no good
Na foreign things them dey like

No be so? (He be so!)

Them go turn air condition
And close them country away
No be so? (He be so!)

Them Judge him go put white wig
And jail him brothers away
No be so? (He be so!)

Them go proud of them name
And put them slave name for head
No be so? (He be so!)

Colo-mentality now make you hear me now

[Chorus]
Colo-mentality!

Mr. Ransome you make you hear
Mr. Williams you make you hear
Mr. Allia you make you hear
Mr. Mohammed you make you hear
Mr. Anglican you make you hear
Mr. Bishop you make you hear
Mr. Catholic you make you hear
Mr. Muslim you make you hear

Na Africa we dey o make you hear
[size=12pt][/size]
Colo-mentality hear
Colo-mentality hear
Colo-mentality hear
Colo-mentality hear
Re: Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka by bokohalal(m): 6:04pm On Sep 24, 2012
thelastPope:

Invariably,that was how Jesus and Mohammed founded their religion because anyone could found one. So you now reasoning like some of us who do not have faith in anything than form a set of rules to confuse people for eternity.
Your Christianity and Islam started out just like Scientology and some others that worship aliens.
Re: Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka by thelastPope(m): 6:06pm On Sep 24, 2012
Sagamite:

Show us the link of the religion Oprah formed.

Point to us who/what they worship, the rituals and the other religious behaviours.

I wait.

Just a few links. Please use your own bandwidth. Bandwidth is expensive:

m.nypost.com/p/entertainment/tv/eat_pray_love_oprah_8HUBevZzxvyUjKdvwX1DXJ

westerngh.com/2010/04/oprah-winfrey-opens-church-founds-religion/

Do you know hip hop is a registered religion?
Re: Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka by F00028: 6:12pm On Sep 24, 2012
Sagamite:

You are a person!

You are still yet to tell me if he attack in the name of God? Foool!

whether he killed them in the name of God or abraham lincoln IT IS STILL MURDER!

and all that time your God didn't counsel him in their regular chats.
Re: Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka by bokohalal(m): 6:13pm On Sep 24, 2012
Clemzy16: @bolded Atleast, it's better than killing innocent people for no good reason.
I would rather die than suffer indignities at the hands of a fellow human being.
Re: Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka by F00028: 6:15pm On Sep 24, 2012
shymexx:

^^^^^I concur 10000%!!! Religion has to go!!

Humanity > Religion!! cool

IYA NGBALI: wetin pastors go dey chop?
Re: Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka by Sagamite(m): 6:17pm On Sep 24, 2012
thelastPope:

Just a few links. Please use your own bandwidth. Bandwidth is expensive:

m.nypost.com/p/entertainment/tv/eat_pray_love_oprah_8HUBevZzxvyUjKdvwX1DXJ

westerngh.com/2010/04/oprah-winfrey-opens-church-founds-religion/

Do you know hip hop is a registered religion?

Do this look like reliable sources to you?

Try and bring something from reliable sources.
Re: Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka by Sagamite(m): 6:19pm On Sep 24, 2012
F00028:

whether he killed them in the name of God or abraham lincoln IT IS STILL MURDER!

and all that time your God didn't counsel him in their regular chats.

You are a person!

So how is that comparable to people that kill in the name of their God?

FOOOOL!
Re: Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka by thelastPope(m): 6:23pm On Sep 24, 2012
Sagamite:

Do this look like reliable sources to you?

Try and bring something from reliable sources.

Nypost.com not a reliable site? You kidding me. Even ABC has it on their site. Please I cant use my bandwidth for you. Are you on 20mb Etisalat? Haba. Google is your friend. The videos are all over youtube. They have started having services already. Abeg don't be lazy joor! Update yourself. Hip hop is also registered as a religion for so many years now. KRS 1 even calls himself the prophet of hiphop while African Bambata is the Amam Ra! Pay attention my friend.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply)

Fuel Scarcity: NNPC Moves Against 3 Marketers, Revoke Licenses / Sheikh Khalid Suspended For Criticising Buhari Over Kaduna Train Bombing / Osinbajo At APC Presidential Primary In Elegushi, Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.