Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,268 members, 7,815,446 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:37 PM

Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka (31385 Views)

The Nigerian Nation Against General Buhari, By Wole Soyinka / Jonathan’s Igbo Internet Warriors Are A Disgrace To Humanity By C. Don Adinuba / Bringbackjonathan2015: The Wages Of Impunity By Wole Soyinka (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka by thelastPope(m): 6:26pm On Sep 24, 2012
shymexx:

I understand your point, but you should have said no one can be without a BELIEF SYSTEM - because we all believe in something, including the the so-called; atheist...

Religion and belief system are interchangeable..

You are now paying attention bro. Nice one. Congrats!
Re: Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka by F00028: 6:27pm On Sep 24, 2012
Sagamite:

You are a person!

So how is that comparable to people that kill in the name of their God?

FOOOOL!

you have a very limited vocabulary. sad

Sagamite:

So how is that comparable to people that kill in the name of their God?

it hurts just as much!

the victims are still dead, maimed, rap.ed...
Re: Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka by thelastPope(m): 6:30pm On Sep 24, 2012
More from New York Times:

www.nytimes.com/2011/05/28/us/28beliefs.html?_r=0

Oprah started subtly but has graduated now. Serious new age stuff
Re: Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka by Sagamite(m): 6:36pm On Sep 24, 2012
F00028:

you have a very limited vocabulary. sad

it hurts just as much!

the victims are still dead, maimed, rap.ed...

What a moronic excuse for religious fanaticism!

Is it sane for people to find excuses to kill others for a God?

Is it sane for a religion to tell people to kill others?

Is it sane for religious people to kill others arbitrarily for something that offends them done by other people 1000s of miles away?

You reason like a person, that is why I called you a person!
Re: Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka by Sagamite(m): 6:40pm On Sep 24, 2012
thelastPope: More from New York Times:

www.nytimes.com/2011/05/28/us/28beliefs.html?_r=0

Oprah started subtly but has graduated now. Serious new age stuff

thelastPope:

Nypost.com not a reliable site? You kidding me. Even ABC has it on their site. Please I cant use my bandwidth for you. Are you on 20mb Etisalat? Haba. Google is your friend. The videos are all over youtube. They have started having services already. Abeg don't be lazy joor! Update yourself. Hip hop is also registered as a religion for so many years now. KRS 1 even calls himself the prophet of hiphop while African Bambata is the Amam Ra! Pay attention my friend.

You are a mooron!

Because some people used religion as a metaphor for the atmosphere Oprah creates, that is proof Oprah has started a religion?

Hip-hop is a religion my arsse!
Re: Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka by F00028: 6:41pm On Sep 24, 2012
Sagamite:

What a moronic excuse for religious fanaticism!

Is it sane for people to find excuses to kill others for a God?

Is it sane for a religion to tell people to kill others?

Is it sane for religious people to kill others arbitrarily for something that offends them done by other people 1000s of miles away?

You reason like a person, that is why I called you a person!

its not an excuse.

dead is dead anywhich way. you cant get that thru your dense skull. if did you would stop echoing that imbecilic alibi : "did he kill in the name if God"
Re: Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka by Sagamite(m): 6:45pm On Sep 24, 2012
F00028:

its not an excuse.

dead is dead anywhich way. you cant get that thru your dense skull. if did you would stop echoing that imbecilic alibi : "did he kill in the name if God"

You are a person!

We are talking about religion and killing, your dumb arsse is defending and excusing islamic religious killing by pointing out the effects of all types of killing.

Cretin!

Your type are the number one problem of Islam. The person muslims that would refuse to condemn those that kill in the name of their God.

And then whine when the world hates your religion!
Re: Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka by thelastPope(m): 6:45pm On Sep 24, 2012
Sagamite:

You are a mooron!

Because some people used religion as a metaphor for the atmosphere Oprah creates, that is proof Oprah has started a religion?

Hip-hop is a religion my arsse!

Just as Christianity is a metaphor for the life Jesus lived. You making the same mistakes all over again. Trying to create different standards and positions for those you cherish is always a fruitless exercise that will come back and bite you in the butt.

And hip hop is indeed a religion registered with the state of New York. That's a fact and you need to update yourself.

And this is the last I will respond to you until you grow up. I don't engage kids or juveniles. Sorry!
Re: Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka by tochilastborn(m): 6:47pm On Sep 24, 2012
ebamma: Take Islam out and the world will be in peace
not only is even some christainity churches like chosen
Re: Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka by Sagamite(m): 6:52pm On Sep 24, 2012
thelastPope:

Just as Christianity is a metaphor for the life Jesus lived. You making the same mistakes all over again. Trying to create different standards and positions for those you cherish is always a fruitless exercise that will come back and bite you in the butt.

And hip hop is indeed a religion registered with the state of New York. That's a fact and you need to update yourself.

And this is the last I will respond to you until you grow up. I don't engage kids or juveniles. Sorry!

You are a person!

Next thing you will be saying is that vulcanizing and beer drinking are religions.

Proper cretin! Don't go and learn what a religion is.
Re: Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka by Katsumoto: 6:56pm On Sep 24, 2012
thelastPope:

You are deliberately obfuscating so as to blur the lines of the debate.

I take you back to your original premise, which is that all men have a religion.

You have used Oprah has an example just because someone described it as such. You are yet to prove that all men have religion.

The easiest angle to introduce to support that is to suggest that sleeping and eating are religions.

In any case, I am still waiting for you to prove that Fela said religion was bad.
Re: Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka by Sagamite(m): 6:59pm On Sep 24, 2012
Katsumoto:

I take you back to your original premise, which is that all men have a religion.

You have used Oprah has an example just because someone described it as such. You are yet to prove that all men have religion.

The easiest angle to introduce to support that is to suggest that sleeping and eating are religions.

In any case, I am still waiting for you to prove that Fela said religion was bad.

You really get time to waste!

I just call a person a person the minute I see they are fucktards! undecided

Waste your time for him to tell you eating chips is a religion.

1 Like

Re: Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka by F00028: 7:00pm On Sep 24, 2012
Sagamite:

You are a person!

We are talking about religion and killing, your dumb arsse is defending and excusing islamic religious killing by pointing out the effects of all types of killing.

Cretin!

Your type are the number one problem of Islam. The person muslims that would refuse to condemn those that kill in the name of their God.

And then whine when the world hates your religion!

couldnt care less 'bout them haters. cool

its you that condemn unlawful murder of innocent people. its why you parrot stuff like: did he kill in the name of God?
mtcheeew!

Sagamite:

Your type are the number one problem of Islam...

so am the problem now? I thought Islam WAS the problem. look! you're confused tongue
Re: Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka by tochilastborn(m): 7:01pm On Sep 24, 2012
bokohalal:

Christianity is just as bad as Islam or any other religion for that matter. The exploitation of the weak minded and poor Nigerians by flamboyant 'men of god' is worse than your enumerated good.

'The most potent weapon in the hands of the oppressor is the mind of the oppressed'-Steve Biko.
seconded.Even christianity must go.d only belief i support is 'DO UNTO OTHERS WHAT U WOULD LYK DEM 2 DO UNTO U.'
Re: Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka by thelastPope(m): 7:09pm On Sep 24, 2012
Katsumoto:

I have never changed anything one inch. Was just showing the shallowness of the poster.

Indeed, sleeping and eating can be a religion to someone. That's the point. What makes a religion one, is not the size or influence or persons involved but the elements of belief and worship and submission. So yes, eating can be a religion. That was why Jesus said, you cannot serve God and mammon (money) indicating clearly there that money can be an alternative God to someone.

For the Fela issue, I don't want to derail the thread so make a new thread and I wll join you there. For a hint, Fela never mentioned African religion. He clearly said, African tradition!
Re: Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka by dekung(m): 7:12pm On Sep 24, 2012
It will be highly erroneous and outrightly stewpid to claim that the world would be a lot more peaceful without religion however without religion in our world we would have one less thing to bother about. Am an aagnostic athiest but if m asked to choose a religion Islam would not even feature in the list of what to choose from. I would rather be a satanist than be a muslim. The delusion and inhumanity in that religion is beyond me. Islam is a religion of peace alright but the caveat that most muslims dont talk about is that it becomes a religion of peace at the point where everybody on the globe is a muslim. Islam is a religion that forbids freedom of expression and association to the extent that the Pakistani PM is proposing, at the ongoing UN general assembly, that freedom of expression be removed human rights and make criminal expressions of insults cast aginst the monotheistic religions especially islam. How delusional can someone be. phuck mohammed and all his followers!
Re: Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka by Revolva(m): 7:16pm On Sep 24, 2012
Gorrbachev:

if you know the religion guilty of the bolded say, Hay!!!
Hay hay hay hay kongi has said it gbam that my menthor
Re: Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka by Sagamite(m): 7:23pm On Sep 24, 2012
F00028:

couldnt care less 'bout them haters. cool

its you that condemn unlawful murder of innocent people. its why you parrot stuff like: did he kill in the name of God?
mtcheeew!

so am the problem now? I thought Islam WAS the problem. look! you're confused tongue

You are a proper person!

Your comprehension and grammar are quite poor!
Re: Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka by F00028: 7:38pm On Sep 24, 2012
Sagamite:

You are a proper person!

Your comprehension and grammar are quite poor!

its you that CAN'T condemn unlawful murder of innocent people. its why you parrot stuff like: did he kill in the name of God?
mtcheeew!
Re: Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka by Sagamite(m): 7:41pm On Sep 24, 2012
F00028:

its you that CAN'T condemn unlawful murder of innocent people. its why you parrot stuff like: did he kill in the name of God?
mtcheeew!

You are a person!

Continue finding moronic excuses to justify why people are eager to kill in the name of Allah!

Cretin!

The vast majority of people that flash their Licence to Kill are followers of Islam.
Re: Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka by Katsumoto: 7:42pm On Sep 24, 2012
thelastPope:

I have never changed anything one inch. Was just showing the shallowness of the poster.

Indeed, sleeping and eating can be a religion to someone. That's the point. What makes a religion one, is not the size or influence or persons involved but the elements of belief and worship and submission. So yes, eating can be a religion. That was why Jesus said, you cannot serve God and mammon (money) indicating clearly there that money can be an alternative God to someone.

For the Fela issue, I don't want to derail the thread so make a new thread and I wll join you there. For a hint, Fela never mentioned African religion. He clearly said, African tradition!

So eating and sleeping can be religions but we can't accept what Fela practiced as religion because he said tradition rather than religion? ? ?

Ok, Fela said African tradition, now tell us WORD FOR WORD where Fela said religion was bad. You are only allowed to quote Fela now. You can either quote a song or a speech. Where did Fela state that religion is/was bad?
Re: Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka by Pukkah: 7:54pm On Sep 24, 2012
thelastPope:

Don't stand history on its head. Fela was against Christianity and Islam which he referred to as 'money-making organizations.

He never jettisoned African religion or spirituality and in fact had a shrine. He used palm wine, chickens, Schnapps, etc to worship at the shrine. Fela never said that the worship of Ogun or Sango (for example) was bad.

So where did you get the impression that Fela said African religion is bad from?
Re: Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka by thelastPope(m): 7:58pm On Sep 24, 2012
Katsumoto:

So eating and sleeping can be religions but we can't accept what Fela practiced as religion because he said tradition rather than religion? ? ?

Ok, Fela said African tradition, now tell us WORD FOR WORD where Fela said religion was bad. You are only allowed to quote Fela now. You can either quote a song or a speech. Where did Fela state that religion is/was bad?

You are mixing the the whole debate up. I never said Fela or Oprah or anyone else didn't have the right to propagate a religion. Am only stating that they are as guilty as anyone else in the push for religion and should not be exempted. Which is the whole point of Soyinka's position. Debating the standings of the different religions, which one is true or false, is another debate entirely and maybe another thread.
Re: Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka by F00028: 8:02pm On Sep 24, 2012
@sagamite

hitler murdered for your God...six million times.
and if you think that's ancient history, the jews haven't forgotten.

hitler: "My feelings as a Christian points me to my Lord and Savior as a fighter…

–Norman H. Baynes, ed. The Speeches of AdolfHitler,April1922-August 1939,
Vol. 1 of 2, pp. 19-20, Oxford University Press, 1942
Re: Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka by dartsidius7(m): 8:11pm On Sep 24, 2012
estheta: I 've been reading with keen interest how many are busy defending their own religion, resorting to vulgar words in some cases. That's how the fight usually starts. Religion is supposed to be a personal thing and it's practise should not harm another. Christians should learn and extract the truth from the bible and that truth is Jesus whose teachings are "new wine" as it directs to the true almighty God, his father. Muslims should do the same from their book extracting the simple message of only one God. Other religious people should also extract truth from their heros messages. Organising religion and setting rules and regulations is actually the babylon. In the end, the true worshippers of God will worship God in spirit and in truth. In the end, there will be no worship houses for the hearts of humans will be the worship houses. This is bitter truth but defenders of organised religion will fight it just like they fought Christ, but he defeated them all. Christians confuse the bible with the word of God which is Jesus Christ, while muslims confuse the message of one God with religious writings.

Very true. people are quick to support their religion and castigate others. like a person's personality does not matter. like a person's personal interpretation of his or her religious teachings dont count. the comments that i have read on this thread just goes to show that wole shoyinka is right. religion and racism are now competing for which breeds more hate. too many generalisations. so as soon as you meet an arab man, you just conclude that he is violent. how does it work? Have you ever asked yourself why God even allows the other religion to exist, since you claim that your religion is the only right one.
Do you even love your neighbor?

2 Likes

Re: Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka by F00028: 8:12pm On Sep 24, 2012
is "person" even a word

anyhow, if you can use your internet connection for something other than nl and downloading lipsrsealed for awhile you'll discover christianity and christians have given this world more bloodshed and destruction than any other people on the face of this earth
Re: Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka by dartsidius7(m): 8:13pm On Sep 24, 2012
tochi_lastborn: seconded.Even christianity must go.d only belief i support is 'DO UNTO OTHERS WHAT U WOULD LYK DEM 2 DO UNTO U.'

must go where?
Re: Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka by Heymus(m): 8:15pm On Sep 24, 2012
ebamma: Buddhism is mainly practised in china,singapore,taiwan,srilanka,mongolia and you will never hear of a buddhist terrorist organisation spreading terror or killing people,
Hinduism is mainly practised in india and you will never hear that there is a hindu terrorist organisation spreading terror
Christianity is mainly practised in vatican city,brazil,mexico,argentina and venezuela,but you will never hear of a christian terrorist organization spreading terror
Islam is mainly practised in saudi arabia,iraq,iran,somalia and pakistan,Terror and violence is their forte.
mybroda u get sense!
Re: Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka by dartsidius7(m): 8:16pm On Sep 24, 2012
dekung: It will be highly erroneous and outrightly stewpid to claim that the world would be a lot more peaceful without religion however without religion in our world we would have one less thing to bother about. Am an aagnostic athiest but if m asked to choose a religion Islam would not even feature in the list of what to choose from. I would rather be a satanist than be a muslim. The delusion and inhumanity in that religion is beyond me. Islam is a religion of peace alright but the caveat that most muslims dont talk about is that it becomes a religion of peace at the point where everybody on the globe is a muslim. Islam is a religion that forbids freedom of expression and association to the extent that the Pakistani PM is proposing, at the ongoing UN general assembly, that freedom of expression be removed human rights and make criminal expressions of insults cast aginst the monotheistic religions especially islam. How delusional can someone be. phuck mohammed and all his followers!

You sound like a victim of modern day media. i hope you know that both christians and muslims believe that you are going to hell, right? (as an athiest) smiley smiley
Re: Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka by dartsidius7(m): 8:18pm On Sep 24, 2012
sconsults:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_terrorism
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saffron_terror

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewish_religious_terrorism

Buddhism have terrrorist like aum shinkryo cult that are responsible for poison attack in japan metro that killed dozens.buddhist terrorist organisations in burma kill people always.

Hindu terrorist in india carried out the 2007 samijauta express bombings and the 28 september 2008 bombing in western india etc

Christian terrorist group  Manmasi National Christian Army in assam india forces hindus to convert at gunpoint and carry out killings and burning of hindu temples.
In August 2000, a tribal Hindu spiritual leader, Shanti Tripura, was shot dead by about ten guerrillas belonging to the NLFT who said it wanted to convert all people in the state to Christianity. In December 2000, Labh Kumar Jamatia, a religious leader of the state's second largest Hindu group, was kidnapped by the NLFT, and found dead in a forest in Dalak village in southern Tripura. According to police, rebels from the NLFT wanted Jamatia to convert to Christianity, but he refused.A local Marxist tribal leader, Kishore Debbarma, was clubbed to death in Tripura's Sadar (north) by militants belonging to the Biswamohan faction of the NLFT in May 2005.He was dragged away at gunpoint by a group of NLFT militants. His body was found with multiple head injuries in a roadside ditch in the Katabon area.
The Lord's Resistance Army, a cult guerrilla army engaged in an armed rebellion against the Ugandan government, has been accused of using child soldiers and committing numerous crimes against humanity; including massacres, abductions, mutilation, torture, rape, and forced child labour as soldiers, porters, and sex slaves.it is led by Joseph Kony, who proclaims himself the spokesperson of God and a spirit medium, primarily of the "Holy Spirit" which the Acholi believe can represent itself in many manifestations.LRA fighters wear rosary beads and recite passages from the Bible before battle.
Beginning after the Civil War, members of the Protestant-ledKu Klux Klan organization began engaging in arson, beatings, cross burning, destruction of property, lynching, murder, rape, tar-and-feathering, and whipping against African Americans, Jews, Catholics, and other social or ethnic minorities.
They were explicitly Christian terrorist in ideology, basing their beliefs on a "religious foundation" in Christianity. The goals of the KKK included, from an early time on, an intent to "reestablish Protestant Christian values in America by any means possible," and believe that "Jesus was the first Klansman
Etc
All religions have terrorists,please try and study more and dont be so naive.because you are not seeing it doesnt mean it is not happening

Good one.
Re: Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka by Katsumoto: 8:21pm On Sep 24, 2012
F00028: @sagamite

hitler murdered for your God...six million times.
and if you think that's ancient history, the jews haven't forgotten.

hitler: "My feelings as a Christian points me to my Lord and Savior as a fighter…

–Norman H. Baynes, ed. The Speeches of AdolfHitler,April1922-August 1939,
Vol. 1 of 2, pp. 19-20, Oxford University Press, 1942

You have got to be kidding.

So WW2 was a religious war? shocked shocked shocked

27 million Russians died in WW2, was it because they were Orthodox?

Hitler was full of contradictions and he passed through many phases in his life. When you quote someone, make sure you understand the context very well.

Read Hitler in Mein Kampf: "In the Jew I still saw only a man who was of a different religion, and therefore, on grounds of human tolerance, I was against the idea that he should be attacked because he had a different faith."
Re: Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka by bakila: 8:22pm On Sep 24, 2012
F00028: is "person" even a word

anyhow, if you can use your internet connection for something other than nl and downloading lipsrsealed for awhile you'll discover christianity and christians have given this world more bloodshed and destruction than any other people on the face of this earth
Simple.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply)

Fayemi Appoints Joe Komolafe As Amotekun Corps Commander / Two Die As Military Officers Clash In Lagos / Igbos Didn’t Endorse Atiku, We Are Still Behind Buhari – Uche Nwosu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.