Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,468 members, 7,816,104 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:53 AM

Who Is A Lagosian? - Politics (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Who Is A Lagosian? (22382 Views)

WHO IS A Lagosian?let The Truth Be Told. / APC Governorship Ticket In Lagos Akinwunmi Ambode Not A Lagosian,jamb(Photo) / Who Is A Lagosian ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Is A Lagosian? by Afam4eva(m): 4:50pm On Sep 26, 2012
dayokanu:
So who are the Yorubas who falsely claim Lagos
tintingz: My origin is ogun state ijebu boy. . .born and bred in Lagos i will always claim a lagosian anywhere cuz i got the yoruba blood. . .everywhere in the southewest-yorubaLand is my home. . .to the igbos, ijaws, hausas etc go park somewhere Lagos ain't your home and your father-Land
Re: Who Is A Lagosian? by Ngodigha: 4:51pm On Sep 26, 2012
saxywale:

No mind dem jare. Jide Omoworare from ifako/ijaiye constituency came all the way from Ife to become the speaker of the Lagos State house of Assembly. He is now a Senator representing Osun East. That's the essence of the great Yoruba lineage. The guy would proudly call himself a lagosian but he is from Osun by state of origin.
That was a last option. He couldn't survive the heat in Lagos, so he has to go where the competition is less.
Re: Who Is A Lagosian? by nduchucks: 4:51pm On Sep 26, 2012
These SWers on nairaland and their hatred for ndigbo, are not your typical Yoruba people. Most of them live in diaspora and simply come online to flex weak cyber muscles. The vast majority of Yorubas get along quite well with Igbos and Hausas alike.

Shame on you all for continuing to take backward steps.

2 Likes

Re: Who Is A Lagosian? by Emary(f): 4:55pm On Sep 26, 2012
Lagos can never claim to be a place with only indigenous roots, For one, a lot of the land in Lagos is reclaimed. Who was occupying it before then. Two, there were many people who settled here before independence and contributed to the growth and development of the place. It would be impossible to chase away their descendants now. My maternal grandfather though half Igbo and half Ghanaian was a Councillor in Lagos as far back as 1953. There were also several resettled slaves who have intermarried with the communities. 95% of the families on Lagos Island have them. Three, this is a federation and our constitution gives all Nigerian citizens the right to live anywhere in the country so long as they are not convicted criminals. The governors you have in Lagos, Tinubu and Fashola inclusive are not full blooded Lagosians so who are they fooling?

1 Like

Re: Who Is A Lagosian? by Nobody: 4:55pm On Sep 26, 2012
---
Re: Who Is A Lagosian? by Nobody: 4:58pm On Sep 26, 2012
Ngodigha:
Minus this few you mentioned, others claim Lagos state. It is nice though for them to see pride in their towns. Probably, they are following your footsteps.

Mention just one. Did I or anyone else ever claim Lagos when we are indeed from other states. If you cannot mention a single name, then you are making this up. You are lying.
Re: Who Is A Lagosian? by Ngodigha: 4:58pm On Sep 26, 2012
PStylish:

You are a class B Lagosian. You are recognized and accepted. Of course, you know your limits.When push comes to shove, your ancestry will be pointed out.

Modern day Binis are almost tempted to claim Yoruba citizenship how much more those who have been assimilated in Yorubaland.

PS: You are Ibo and a troll.Try harder.
If Desola or any other Yoruba here can claim Lagos, why can't he or she.
Leave Lagos alone and be proud of your own town. What is wrong with you guys.
Re: Who Is A Lagosian? by Yeske2(m): 4:58pm On Sep 26, 2012
This case is serious, shall be back.
Re: Who Is A Lagosian? by ichidodo: 4:59pm On Sep 26, 2012
Aigbofa:

The facts does not support your assertion. Yes, some ibos like other Nigerians have properties in Lagos, but the majority of them still pay rents to Yoruba landlords.
that fact also does not support ure exposition, as their r yoruba tenants and yes the so-called indigenes who pay rent to igbo landlords who dont even reside in LAGOS. NUF SAID.
Re: Who Is A Lagosian? by sbeezy8: 4:59pm On Sep 26, 2012
Bukola Saraki and his father Olusola- grew up in Lagos went to become Governor in Kwara.

Olusegun Agagu grew up in Lagos- became governor of Ondo.

Rauf Areagbesola grew up in Lagos- and lived in Lagos over 30 something years Governor of Osun.

Wande coal said in an interview- that his father is into politics and that he is not from Lagos, that he to wanted to join politics back in his home state.
Re: Who Is A Lagosian? by Afam4eva(m): 5:00pm On Sep 26, 2012
Aigbofa:

Mention just one. Did I or anyone else ever claim Lagos when we are indeed from other states. If you cannot mention a single name, then you are making this up. You are lying.
Look at the first post on this page.
Re: Who Is A Lagosian? by Ngodigha: 5:01pm On Sep 26, 2012
Aigbofa:

Dudu negro claims Lagos, Desola claims Lagos, Sbeezy claims Lagos. You asked for one and I have given 3. If you ask for 30, I will give you 300.
Re: Who Is A Lagosian? by Nobody: 5:02pm On Sep 26, 2012
Ngodigha:
Dudu negro claims Lagos, Desola claims Lagos, Sbeezy claims Lagos. You asked for one and I have given 3. If you ask for 30, I will give you 300.

And you have a definite proof they are lying?
Re: Who Is A Lagosian? by Nobody: 5:03pm On Sep 26, 2012
dayokanu:

Ileke idi has always claimed Ekiti, Dapobear has always claimed Ekiti, Naijababe has always claimed Ogun and Jarus has always claimed Kwara, Sagamite has always claimed Ogun and Rhino has always been proudly Ondo, Fstranger is Osun through and through.

So who are the Yorubas who falsely claim Lagos

Katsumoto replied him but seems he enjoys winding people up.

Katsumoto:

Taking a position in a debate is not the same as laying claims. Why do some of you have thought process issues?

Re: Who Is A Lagosian? by tintingz(m): 5:03pm On Sep 26, 2012
afam4eva:
do i look like non yoruba to you?
Re: Who Is A Lagosian? by jude33084(m): 5:03pm On Sep 26, 2012
PStylish:

You are a class B Lagosian. You are recognized and accepted. Of course, you know your limits.When push comes to shove, your ancestry will be pointed out.

Modern day Binis are almost tempted to claim Yoruba citizenship how much more those who have been assimilated in Yorubaland.

PS: You are Ibo and a troll.Try harder.

Please explain Ŧħåϯ bolded part wink
Thank you
Re: Who Is A Lagosian? by sbeezy8: 5:08pm On Sep 26, 2012
Emary: Lagos can never claim to be a place with only indigenous roots, For one, a lot of the land in Lagos is reclaimed. Who was occupying it before then. Two, there were many people who settled here before independence and contributed to the growth and development of the place. It would be impossible to chase away their descendants now. My maternal grandfather though half Igbo and half Ghanaian was a Councillor in Lagos as far back as 1953. There were also several resettled slaves who have intermarried with the communities. 95% of the families on Lagos Island have them. Three, this is a federation and our constitution gives all Nigerian citizens the right to live anywhere in the country so long as they are not convicted criminals. The governors you have in Lagos, Tinubu and Fashola inclusive are not full blooded Lagosians so who are they fooling?

sorry my sister this makes no sense. maybe in another 200 years. they will all become Lagosian but not now wouldn't make sense.

You are talking about independence wetin concern us with independence ?
Re: Who Is A Lagosian? by Paentera(m): 5:08pm On Sep 26, 2012
Troll: I AM A LAGOSIAN.
I WAS BORN IN LAGOS.
MY FATHER WAS BORN AND BRED IN LAGOS.
MY GRANDFATHER HAS LANDS IN LAGOS.
MY ANCESTORS ARE FROM THE BENIN KINGDOM.
ANYBODY WHO HAS A PROBLEM WITH ME CLAIMING LAGOS CAN GO AHEAD AND DIVE INTO THE ATLANTIC OCEAN.

You're a Lagosian as far as I am concerned.
Re: Who Is A Lagosian? by Nobody: 5:08pm On Sep 26, 2012
afam4eva:
Look at the first post on this page.

I did and I answered your question. If you don't have the urge to take the next Ekenedili Chukwu whenever there's uncertainty in Lagos, then you are a Lagosian.
Re: Who Is A Lagosian? by Katsumoto: 5:09pm On Sep 26, 2012
Ngodigha:

Andrew Uweh,

They claim Lagos because they are from Lagos; do you have reason to think that they are not from Lagos?

Or are you arguing like the chap who insinuated that nobody lived in Lagos before it was built by the British?
Re: Who Is A Lagosian? by Nobody: 5:17pm On Sep 26, 2012
Ngodigha:
That was a last option. He couldn't survive the heat in Lagos, so he has to go where the competition is less.

Heat? That's not true, he actually has a lot of followers in Lagos than in Osun. It was not an easy ride for him at all. Hon. Rotimi Makinde represent ife federal constituency, another lagosian lost two brothers in an assassination attempt in his quest for a seat in the lower house.
Re: Who Is A Lagosian? by geeez: 5:17pm On Sep 26, 2012
CHESSBOARD: Any person thats a Nigeria because , LAGOS IS NO MAN'S LAND cool cool cool

Okay Imo , Ananmbra, Enugu, Abia and Ebonyi are also NO MAN''s LANDS

1 Like

Re: Who Is A Lagosian? by sbeezy8: 5:21pm On Sep 26, 2012
geeez:

Okay Imo , Ananmbra, Enugu, Abia and Ebonyi are also NO MAN''s LANDS

you cant even play those games with igbos mehn- even if I was given freeland and everything in the southeast I would not GO. I would not even go to any part of Nigeria that isn't yoruba speaking.

shiorr even everyone in my family that have mother from all over Nigeria will not even think about living outside Southwest Nigeria- I'd rather go to ghana, freetown, coutonou, Lome.

straight like that.

1 Like

Re: Who Is A Lagosian? by Paentera(m): 5:23pm On Sep 26, 2012
afam4eva:
Lagos is the name of a state that was created after Nigeria came into being and it's a culmination of people from different groups. It's not an ancestry. Ijebu is. Yoruba is. But not Lagos. No non-Lagosian is claiming to be Egba or Ijebu. They're saying that they're Lagosians. There's a whole lot of difference.

Not only are you wrong on many points - you refuse to learn from history which is abundant on the Internet. The name of a place called Lagos, existed way before Nigeria was amalgamated in 1914. There're maps done in 1800 that have the name Lagos simply because that name was named by Portuguese as far back as 1500s. That means there has always been a place referred to as Lagos on the world map that far back. History cannot be changed because you cannot grasp it or fail to do your own research. The name Eko was the name this same area (especially the Island) was referred to by the earliest recorded settlers - from the Benin Kingdom. As you may well know, an area can bear more than one name and considering that Lago de Curamo, the word that the Portuguese named for Lagos back then was bastardised to Lagos by the British means that a place can be known by several names. When West Africa was raided for slaves in the 1700s, there was a place called Agbadari, now it is known simply as Badagry - it does not rob it of its heritage. Also, there was a place known as Lagos as well.

We cannot be blamed that your lack of knowledge has made you wrongly ask this rather unnecessary question. BTW, I am Lagosian.
Re: Who Is A Lagosian? by dayokanu(m): 5:24pm On Sep 26, 2012
geeez: Okay Imo , Ananmbra, Enugu, Abia and Ebonyi are also NO MAN''s LANDS

Guy better watch your step where you go and claim else you become assorted meat inside Pepper soup for Abakaliki

cheesy grin
Re: Who Is A Lagosian? by sbeezy8: 5:25pm On Sep 26, 2012
Igbos can claim Lagos all they want I dont care- but at the end of the Day KNOW that I will never invest outside South west Nigeria.

even if they gimme free oil block in Imo- ill sell it as soon as they give it to me. use the money for agriculture in Ogun,Oyo,Osun,Kwara projects in Ondo. and banking in Lagos.
Re: Who Is A Lagosian? by Afam4eva(m): 5:25pm On Sep 26, 2012
Paentera:

Not only are you wrong on many points - you refuse to learn from history which is abundant on the Internet. The name of a place called Lagos, existed way before Nigeria was amalgamated in 1914. There're maps done in 1800 that have the name Lagos simply because that name was named by Portuguese as far back as 1500s. That means there has always been a place referred to as Lagos on the world map that far back. History cannot be changed because you cannot grasp it or fail to do your own research. The name Eko was the name this same area (especially the Island) was referred to by the earliest recorded settlers - from the Benin Kingdom. As you may well know, an area can bear more than one name and considering that Lago de Curamo, the word that the Portuguese named for Lagos back then was bastardised to Lagos by the British means that a place can be known by several names. When West Africa was raided for slaves in the 1700s, there was a place called Agbadari, now it is known simply as Badagry - it does not rob it of its heritage. Also, there was a place known as Lagos as well.

We cannot be blamed that your lack of knowledge has made you wrongly ask this rather unnecessary question. BTW, I am Lagosian.
Yet again, you quote me out of context. We're talking of Lagos state here and not another Lagos that exists somewhere in your head.
Re: Who Is A Lagosian? by Afam4eva(m): 5:27pm On Sep 26, 2012
sbeezy8: Igbos can claim Lagos all they want I dont care- but at the end of the Day KNOW that I will never invest outside South west Nigeria.

even if they gimme free oil block in Imo- ill sell it as soon as they give it to me. use the money for agriculture in Ogun,Oyo,Osun,Kwara projects in Ondo. and banking in Lagos.
We all know talk is cheap. I wonder why the Yorubas in oil companies in the east are not thinking like you.
Re: Who Is A Lagosian? by sbeezy8: 5:32pm On Sep 26, 2012
afam4eva:
We all know talk is cheap. I wonder why the Yorubas in oil companies in the east are not thinking like you.

cause they want to make money for themselves- like the whites in oil companies all over the world- but when it comes to concrete investments and infrastructure I would like to impact the area in which I live and its surroundings.

One of the reason I've grown not to care about Oil, fast money, not concrete development.

1 Like

Re: Who Is A Lagosian? by dayokanu(m): 5:33pm On Sep 26, 2012
afam4eva:

East? which Part of the East or you intended to say South South?
Re: Who Is A Lagosian? by Afam4eva(m): 5:35pm On Sep 26, 2012
dayokanu:

East? which Part of the East or you intended to say South South?
I'm refering to sbeezy who says he can't do anything outside Yorubaland. And by east i'm talking about the old east which includes Igboland.
Re: Who Is A Lagosian? by alleviate2002us(m): 5:35pm On Sep 26, 2012
safarigirl: 90% of those in Lagos are NOT of Lagos ancestry. All you other south westerners who feel that you're Lagosians need to visit the nearest Babalawo. If na to speak Yoruba, i know thousands of Igbos that chew the language. True Lagosians tend to bear English last names, and most of Yorubaland do not acknowledge them as true Yorubas. Now the same set of deprived m0fos want to claim it as Yorubaland, when they contributed nothing but touts, paedophiles and rap!sts to the city. Only the whites, and indigenes of Lagos, Ogun, Ekiti, and other tribes, mostly Igbos, Efiks and Ibibios made Lagos. After those states, the rest of Yoruba land can sink for all I care, starting with Ibadan, the disgrace of Yoruba land.

Lwtmb....I dunt know weda to agree with you buh atleast i remember way back in school den(Sec sch), i had true lagos breeds who were core. its just that most of them aren't as polished in their yoruba(language speaking and culture thing) unlike others from neighbouring states, because of the plenty wash-wash(oyinbo-oyinbo things and effizy)...

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (14) (Reply)

Saraki, Amosun, Oyegun And Ambode At Inauguration Ceremony Of Obaseki / Bribery Video: We Can’t Probe Ganduje Because He Enjoys Immunity – EFCC / Buhari Arrived Kwara State To Flag Off Presidential Campaign

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.