Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,651 members, 7,816,666 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:46 PM

Who Is A Lagosian? - Politics (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Who Is A Lagosian? (22392 Views)

WHO IS A Lagosian?let The Truth Be Told. / APC Governorship Ticket In Lagos Akinwunmi Ambode Not A Lagosian,jamb(Photo) / Who Is A Lagosian ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Is A Lagosian? by Koolking(m): 5:39pm On Sep 26, 2012
Katsumoto:

When the Bini got to Lagos, they met a ruler called Olofin. The first Olofin himself met others at Iddo when he moved there from Ibefun.

And no, Lagos is not some land that anyone can lay claim to as home. That line of thought is for people who aren't proud of their origins, too lazy to make change in their homeland, and prefer to lay claims to someone else's home.

. . .oral traditions, well-known to historians of Lagos, indicate that Benin found pre-existing settlement on Lagos.

Any way, thanks for your attn.
Re: Who Is A Lagosian? by sbeezy8: 5:45pm On Sep 26, 2012
end of the day outside SW Nigeria im not paying attention like another world not even that im tribalistic or whatever i just dont want to live, invest or even visit.
Re: Who Is A Lagosian? by 2mch(m): 5:48pm On Sep 26, 2012
Koolking:

. . .oral traditions, well-known to historians of Lagos, indicate that Benin found pre-existing settlement on Lagos.

Any way, thanks for your attn.

LMAO! Only Alj Harem can come up with this. kool king must be insane. LMAO grin grin grin grin
Re: Who Is A Lagosian? by DuduNegro: 5:49pm On Sep 26, 2012
Here is a list of who is a Lagosian.

Ruling Class
1. A descent from Ife
2. A descent from Oyo
3. A descent from Awori
4. A descent from Bini
5. A descent from Ijebu
6. A descent from Egba
7. A descent from Ijesha
8. A descent from Idomey

Indigenious Class
1. Ijebu
2. Awori
3. Egun

Migrant Class pre- Portuguese
1. General Yoruba
2. Tappa
3. Bini

Migrant post-Portuguese, pre- English
1. Malians
2. Hausa

Migrants post-English, pre Amalgamation
1. Sierra Leones
2. Creoles
3. Brazilians,

Migrants post- 1950
1. Ibos

Migrants post- Independence, pre- War
1. Ibos
2. Hausas

Migrants post War
1. Refugee Ibos

Migrants post - 1975
1. Refugee Ibos
2. Hausas

Migrants post- 1993 political riots
1. Ibos

Migrants post - Northern riots
1. Refugee Ibos

Migrants post-bokoharam terror
1. Displaced Ibos (refugeed in Iboland but soon shipped out by sponsoring SE states to end in Lagos).

So find your level......wherever you are thats the class of Lagosian you are. If i left any group out let me know.

8 Likes

Re: Who Is A Lagosian? by sbeezy8: 5:52pm On Sep 26, 2012
Dudu_Negro: Here is a list of who is a Lagosian.

Ruling Class
1. A descent from Ife
2. A descent from Oyo
3. A descent from Awori
4. A descent from Bini
5. A descent from Ijebu
6. A descent from Egba
7. A descent from Ijesha
8. A descent from Idomey

Indigenious Class
1. Ijebu
2. Awori
3. Egun

1. General Yoruba
2. Tappa
3. Bini

1. Malians
2. Hausa

1. Sierra Leones
2. Creoles
3. Brazilians,

Migrants post- 1950
1. Ibos

1. Ibos
2. Hausas

Migrants post War
1. Refugee Ibos

Migrants post - 1975
1. Refugee Ibos
2. Hausas

1. Ibos

1. Refugee Ibos

1. Displaced Ibos (refugeed in Iboland but soon shipped out by sponsoring SE states to end in Lagos).

So find your level......wherever you are thats the class of Lagosian you are. If i left any group out let me know.

i agree

1 Like

Re: Who Is A Lagosian? by eaglechild: 5:59pm On Sep 26, 2012
sbeezy8: end of the day outside SW Nigeria im not paying attention like another world not even that im tribalistic or whatever i just dont want to live, invest or even visit.
Ehee! I thought as much.
This clearly explains your very limited reasoning abilities.

1 Like

Re: Who Is A Lagosian? by Ngodigha: 6:01pm On Sep 26, 2012

Ruling Class
1. A descent from Ife
2. A descent from Oyo
3. A descent from Awori
4. A descent from Bini
5. A descent from Ijebu
6. A descent from Egba
7. A descent from Ijesha
8. A descent from Idomey

Indigenious Class
1. Ijebu
2. Awori
3. Egun

1. General Yoruba
2. Tappa
3. Bini

1. Malians
2. Hausa

1. Sierra Leones
2. Creoles
3. Brazilians,

Migrants post- 1950
1. Ibos

1. Ibos
2. Hausas

Migrants post War
1. Refugee Ibos

Migrants post - 1975
1. Refugee Ibos
2. Hausas

1. Ibos

1. Refugee Ibos

Odudu negro, what you posted here is similar to what I wrote in my first post in this thread. By the way, you are correct. All those Yorubas, Ndigbo, Binis etc you mentioned are Lagosians. End of story. Am not happy with the idle brains here who claim Lagos but find it difficult to accept others as Lagosians e.g the Binis, Ndigbo, Nupes etc.

1 Like

Re: Who Is A Lagosian? by Ngodigha: 6:04pm On Sep 26, 2012
Ngodigha: A lagosian is someone whose ancestors are natives of Lagos e.g the Badagry people.
A Lagosian is someone whose parents where of the Edo stock that founded Lagos.
A Lagosian is someone whose parents are part of the recaptives that settled in Lagos e.g Igbos, Anagos, Nupes, Urhobos, ETC.
A lagosian is someone whose parents came across the borders of Lagos to settle down in Lagos when the Lagos became a protectorate and a colony-eg Yorubas from Oyo, Osun, Ondo, Ogun etc.
A lagosian is someone whose great grand parents migrated to Lagos when Lagos became the capital of Nigeria. This includes Hausa-Fulanis, Igbos, Itsekiris, Kanuris, Tivs, Efiks etc.
A lagosian is someone who is born and raised in Lagos, or someone residing in Lagos for more than 6 years.
My first post.
Re: Who Is A Lagosian? by Ngodigha: 6:06pm On Sep 26, 2012
END OF STORY.

Re: Who Is A Lagosian? by Emary(f): 6:14pm On Sep 26, 2012
People will always find ways to segregate rather than integrate. There is no one indigenous to anywhere in the world if you want to be honest about it. From caveman to modern man, people move about in search of better pastures or why else are Nigerians prepared to go wash toilets and dead bodies in America? The principles of economy dictate that people will migrate for prosperity in search of a better life and as long as people legitimately enter an environment and contribute to the growth of the economy, why should there be a problem of origin? These are the contributing factors that are developing societies such as the United States and Great Britain. They keep those who make meaningful contributions and weed out the chaff. Fashola should tackle the Agberos and Omo-oniles Tinubu created first as they are the miscreants in Society. You can hardly find Igbos who are idle, they hustle. If you do a ratio of boys selling stuff in traffic, 5:1 is an Igbo person. The truth is if a people are lazy, the outsiders they bring in to do their work will over time dominate them. It is the reason that Pharoah tried to kill the Hebrew children. He should focus on empowerment programs instead of claiming over population. Yes, Lagos is densely populated but it is also the largest workforce in the country which gives it the most viable growth potential. For people who have been here above 15 yrs, it might be too late to start evicting them now.
Re: Who Is A Lagosian? by Paentera(m): 6:19pm On Sep 26, 2012
Emary: Lagos can never claim to be a place with only indigenous roots, For one, a lot of the land in Lagos is reclaimed. Who was occupying it before then. Two, there were many people who settled here before independence and contributed to the growth and development of the place. It would be impossible to chase away their descendants now. My maternal grandfather though half Igbo and half Ghanaian was a Councillor in Lagos as far back as 1953. There were also several resettled slaves who have intermarried with the communities. 95% of the families on Lagos Island have them. Three, this is a federation and our constitution gives all Nigerian citizens the right to live anywhere in the country so long as they are not convicted criminals. The governors you have in Lagos, Tinubu and Fashola inclusive are not full blooded Lagosians so who are they fooling?

People like you through your parents' sweat and blood are Lagosians by association. You cannot be classified as sesede like these ignorant cyber trolls who want to simply claim ownership of what does not belong to them. Cos a vehicle has been parked on the street for a long time does not mean it does not have an owner - all these people trying to redefine what it means to be a Lagosian are doing it for selfish and self serving purposes.
Re: Who Is A Lagosian? by danjohn: 6:24pm On Sep 26, 2012
You cannot put eggs back into their shells after you have used them to make an omelet. Lagos is a melting pot. Shikena

1 Like

Re: Who Is A Lagosian? by donkross1(m): 6:24pm On Sep 26, 2012
Ngodigha: A lagosian is someone whose ancestors are natives of Lagos e.g the Badagry people.
A Lagosian is someone whose parents where of the Edo stock that founded Lagos.
A Lagosian is someone whose parents are part of the recaptives that settled in Lagos e.g Igbos, Anagos, Nupes, Urhobos, ETC.
A lagosian is someone whose parents came across the borders of Lagos to settle down in Lagos when the Lagos became a protectorate and a colony-eg Yorubas from Oyo, Osun, Ondo, Ogun etc.
A lagosian is someone whose great grand parents migrated to Lagos when Lagos became the capital of Nigeria. This includes Hausa-Fulanis, Igbos, Itsekiris, Kanuris, Tivs, Efiks etc.
A lagosian is someone who is born and raised in Lagos, or someone residing in Lagos for more than 6 years.
Abeg abeg abeg nobody come from lagos, lagos na ŊO̶̷̩̥̊͡ man's land, anibody 4rm lagos is either a refugee or a slave. EKO O NI BAJE O°˚˚˚°˚˚˚
Re: Who Is A Lagosian? by Paentera(m): 6:25pm On Sep 26, 2012
afam4eva:
I'm refering to sbeezy who says he can't do anything outside Yorubaland. And by east i'm talking about the old east which includes Igboland.

Chai you can so like to change goal posts to keep suiting your twisted thought process. SMH.
Re: Who Is A Lagosian? by Nobody: 6:26pm On Sep 26, 2012
Emary: People will always find ways to segregate rather than integrate. There is no one indigenous to anywhere in the world if you want to be honest about it. From caveman to modern man, people move about in search of better pastures or why else are Nigerians prepared to go wash toilets and dead bodies in America? The principles of economy dictate that people will migrate for prosperity in search of a better life and as long as people legitimately enter an environment and contribute to the growth of the economy, why should there be a problem of origin? These are the contributing factors that are developing societies such as the United States and Great Britain. They keep those who make meaningful contributions and weed out the chaff. Fashola should tackle the Agberos and Omo-oniles Tinubu created first as they are the miscreants in Society. You can hardly find Igbos who are idle, they hustle. If you do a ratio of boys selling stuff in traffic, 5:1 is an Igbo person. The truth is if a people are lazy, the outsiders they bring in to do their work will over time dominate them. It is the reason that Pharoah tried to kill the Hebrew children. He should focus on empowerment programs instead of claiming over population. Yes, Lagos is densely populated but it is also the largest workforce in the country which gives it the most viable growth potential. For people who have been here above 15 yrs, it might be too late to start evicting them now.

Why do you keep repeating the same rhetoric??

What's special about Lagos? - is your home state that bad, that you can't claim it??
Re: Who Is A Lagosian? by Nobody: 6:27pm On Sep 26, 2012

Ruling Class
1. A descent from Ife
2. A descent from Oyo
3. A descent from Awori
4. A descent from Bini
5. A descent from Ijebu
6. A descent from Egba
7. A descent from Ijesha
8. A descent from Idomey

Indigenious Class
1. Ijebu
2. Awori
3. Egun

1. General Yoruba
2. Tappa
3. Bini

1. Malians
2. Hausa

1. Sierra Leones
2. Creoles
3. Brazilians,

Migrants post- 1950
1. Ibos

1. Ibos
2. Hausas

Migrants post War
1. Refugee Ibos

Migrants post - 1975
1. Refugee Ibos
2. Hausas

1. Ibos

1. Refugee Ibos

[size=14pt]END OF STORY!!!![/size]

Claim your states!! cool
Re: Who Is A Lagosian? by Koolking(m): 6:38pm On Sep 26, 2012
2mch:

LMAO! Only Alj Harem can come up with this. kool king must be insane. LMAO grin grin grin grin

You are not serious dude. . .grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Thank God I am a true Nigerian.

Cheers!
Re: Who Is A Lagosian? by sbeezy8: 6:43pm On Sep 26, 2012
Emary: People will always find ways to segregate rather than integrate. There is no one indigenous to anywhere in the world if you want to be honest about it. From caveman to modern man, people move about in search of better pastures or why else are Nigerians prepared to go wash toilets and dead bodies in America? The principles of economy dictate that people will migrate for prosperity in search of a better life and as long as people legitimately enter an environment and contribute to the growth of the economy, why should there be a problem of origin? These are the contributing factors that are developing societies such as the United States and Great Britain. They keep those who make meaningful contributions and weed out the chaff. Fashola should tackle the Agberos and Omo-oniles Tinubu created first as they are the miscreants in Society. You can hardly find Igbos who are idle, they hustle. If you do a ratio of boys selling stuff in traffic, 5:1 is an Igbo person. The truth is if a people are lazy, the outsiders they bring in to do their work will over time dominate them. It is the reason that Pharoah tried to kill the Hebrew children. He should focus on empowerment programs instead of claiming over population. Yes, Lagos is densely populated but it is also the largest workforce in the country which gives it the most viable growth potential. For people who have been here above 15 yrs, it might be too late to start evicting them now.

I dont understand what ur saying- In America Majority of people who indulge in street hawking and selling oranges are Overwhelmingly Mexicans, El savodorians. has nothing to do with Lazy, people generally from outside places see opportunity in the easiest trades that require no concrete investments,and bring back easy cash- which tend to be those trades that people will not want to do.

Nigerians clean toilets abroad- is it because British, Americans are Lazy? NO but its not attractive, tends not to ahve any benefits such as health care, etc.

Fulanis cattle- is is because southerners are lazy? No, because it is not as attractive to most southerners like banking, engineering

pic below is in America- a non american lady selling oranges on the street.

Re: Who Is A Lagosian? by Emary(f): 6:46pm On Sep 26, 2012
@shymmex, it is because of persons like yourself that I rarely comment on Nairaland. I was merely stating the facts of the situation and if you don't agree, please use your brain to make an intellectual argument against it but kindly refrain from addressing me in such a manner again. If you read my post properly, I said my maternal grandfather contributed to the development of Lagos and fought for independence. I never said I claim Lagos.
Re: Who Is A Lagosian? by sbeezy8: 6:52pm On Sep 26, 2012
Emary: @shymmex, it is because of persons like yourself that I rarely comment on Nairaland. I was merely stating the facts of the situation and if you don't agree, please use your brain to make an intellectual argument against it but kindly refrain from addressing me in such a manner again. If you read my post properly, I said my maternal grandfather contributed to the development of Lagos and fought for independence. I never said I claim Lagos.

the same can be said about the many hausas yorubas edos urhobos that were commissioners, teachers, mayors council men in the south east during colonial times. but we know its not like that.
Re: Who Is A Lagosian? by Nobody: 6:52pm On Sep 26, 2012
Emary: @shymmex, it is because of persons like yourself that I rarely comment on Nairaland. I was merely stating the facts of the situation and if you don't agree, please use your brain to make an intellectual argument against it but kindly refrain from addressing me in such a manner again. If you read my post properly, I said my maternal grandfather contributed to the development of Lagos and fought for independence. I never said I claim Lagos.

Where did I insult in my post? I asked you a honest question, but rather than answer the questions, you chose smear campaign...

Again, is your maternal grandfather indigenous to Lagos(i.e is he Ijebu, Awori, or Egun)

My paternal grandfather fought for the British during WW2, but that doesn't make me an English guy...

1 Like

Re: Who Is A Lagosian? by jidestar: 6:54pm On Sep 26, 2012
Indigene not birth or migrant. omo onile awon olodo.
Re: Who Is A Lagosian? by Afam4eva(m): 6:55pm On Sep 26, 2012
shymexx:

Where did I insult in my post? I asked you a honest question, but rather than answer the questions, you chose smear campaign...

Again, is your maternal grandfather indigenous to Lagos(i.e is he Ijebu, Awori, or Egun)

My paternal grandfather fought for the British during WW2, but that doesn't make me an Anglo-Saxon...
You really don't know the difference between being from a tribe and being from a state. They are two different things. You can't be English because it's an ethnic group but you can be from England. Don't you just get it.

1 Like

Re: Who Is A Lagosian? by sbeezy8: 6:58pm On Sep 26, 2012
people really love lagos
sw mehn I cant blame them
Re: Who Is A Lagosian? by Emary(f): 7:07pm On Sep 26, 2012
@sbeezy8, the point I'm making is that even in societies like America today, there are citizens who are jobless today but are not prepared to stoop to do the menial work in order to survive but prefer to make themselves a burden to the society on welfare while the immigrants gradually come in and build their economy. Do you know that as of 2011, there are now more babies born to immigrant families in America than to the natives and pioneer descendants? History repeats itself. In Lagos, you find many young men of "yoruba" origin idling their time away instead of getting employment so people will stroll in and do their jobs for them. When they have put in so much effort, repatriating them becomes extremely difficult as you can see with the Latino population in the US. Why doesn't the Lagos State government work on tightening the borders first? I have personally strolled between Nigeria and Benin several times without any difficulty. If non-Nigerians can easily enter the state, why should true Nigerians who are gainfully employed attain refugee status in Lagos?

P.S. I am not condemning yoruba people or saying they are lazy in general but a lot of their youth now feel entitled to misbehave rather than work hard.

2 Likes

Re: Who Is A Lagosian? by ichidodo: 7:09pm On Sep 26, 2012

Ruling Class
1. A descent from Ife
2. A descent from Oyo
3. A descent from Awori
4. A descent from Bini
5. A descent from Ijebu
6. A descent from Egba
7. A descent from Ijesha
8. A descent from Idomey

Indigenious Class
1. Ijebu
2. Awori
3. Egun

1. General Yoruba
2. Tappa
3. Bini

1. Malians
2. Hausa

1. Sierra Leones
2. Creoles
3. Brazilians,

Migrants post- 1950
1. Ibos

1. Ibos
2. Hausas

Migrants post War
1. Refugee Ibos

Migrants post - 1975
1. Refugee Ibos
2. Hausas

1. Ibos

1. Refugee Ibos

THIS YORUBA IMMIGRANT THAT IS TRYIN TO CLAIM LAGOS INDIGINESHIP, WE THE 'REFUGEE' IGBOS HAVE COME TO LAGOS FROM OUR HOMELAND. WE, THE REFUGEE IGBOS TO THIS DAY OWN LANDS AND PROPERTIES IN LAGOS,WE ARE LAGOS LAND OWNERS, WE OWN LAGOS AND WE,THE REFUGEE IGBOS, OWN U.IF U R NOT HAPPY ABOUT THIS. YOU CAN ALSO KISS OUR,THE REFUGEE IGBOS, BLACK A55ES! PIECE OF YIRIBA SHYITE.
Re: Who Is A Lagosian? by Lero15(m): 7:11pm On Sep 26, 2012
berem: I was born and bred in Lagos but that doesn't classify me as a Lagosian! I am an Imolite for life! Nothing do me! grin
...then go back to Imo State...lolz
Re: Who Is A Lagosian? by dayokanu(m): 7:12pm On Sep 26, 2012
ichidodo: THIS YORUBA IMMIGRANT THAT IS TRYIN TO CLAIM LAGOS INDIGINESHIP, WE THE 'REFUGEE' IGBOS HAVE COME TO LAGOS FROM OUR HOMELAND. WE, THE REFUGEE IGBOS TO THIS DAY OWN LANDS AND PROPERTIES IN LAGOS,WE ARE LAGOS LAND OWNERS, WE OWN LAGOS AND WE,THE REFUGEE IGBOS, OWN U.IF U R NOT HAPPY ABOUT THIS. YOU CAN ALSO KISS OUR,THE REFUGEE IGBOS, BLACK A55ES! PIECE OF YIRIBA SHYITE.

You can own as many properties as you want. When the time comes its either you go and carry your property with you or leave the property

Ask your ancestors what happened with the abandoned property in Port Harcourt
Re: Who Is A Lagosian? by Nobody: 7:17pm On Sep 26, 2012
afam4eva:
You really don't know the difference between being from a tribe and being from a state. They are two different things. You can't be English because it's an ethnic group but you can be from England. Don't you just get it.

Ethnicity makes the state... If I can't be English, then I'm definitely not from England albeit I'm from Britain/United Kingdom, or British born of Nigerian ancestry...

The same applies to Lagos... People can be Nigerian born in Lagos of Imo/Kano/Delta ancestry...

Don't talk about something you know nothing about...

1 Like

Re: Who Is A Lagosian? by Cleanman(m): 7:17pm On Sep 26, 2012
y them ibo peepz so sacastic abt claiming lagos?...na una papa get am 4 lasgidi ni?....we knw those who own lagos so dnt sweat yaself bourit..k

1 Like

Re: Who Is A Lagosian? by Emary(f): 7:17pm On Sep 26, 2012
@Shymmex, to put this in perspective for you, who is an american? It can be a person of american descent, a person born in America or a person who has immigrated into America and has satisfied the constitutional requirement for citizenship. All of you trying to make it tribalistic or indigenous have failed because the question did not ask who is an indigene of Lagos State. So even the Lebanese born here who wish to can claim to be Lagosians and there is nothing anyone can do about it.
Re: Who Is A Lagosian? by Nobody: 7:22pm On Sep 26, 2012
Emary: @Shymmex, to put this in perspective for you, who is an american? It can be a person of american descent, a person born in America or a person who has immigrated into America and has satisfied the constitutional requirement for citizenship. All of you trying to make it tribalistic or indigenous have failed because the question did not ask who is an indigene of Lagos State. So even the Lebanese born here who wish to can claim to be Lagosians and there is nothing anyone can do about it.

America isn't Lagos/Nigeria - America was created by immigrants, so everyone born and raised there has a sense of entitlement to the place...

Lagos/Nigeria was founded by the indigenous/tribal/ethnic groups just like most of the other countries in the world... And the indigenous people are the only ones entitled to claim ownership of the place...

There is also UN charter created for indigenous people around the world... You just can't claim what doesn't belong to you, period...

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

South-West PDP Party Chairmen To Makinde: Who Cares If You Join APC? / Ihedioha Denies Hosting Tambuwal / Newspaper Vendors Blame Online Media For Drop In Sales

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.