Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,305 members, 7,836,330 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 05:09 AM

The Wrath Of God: Discussion About Hell - Strictly Christians Only - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Wrath Of God: Discussion About Hell - Strictly Christians Only (16415 Views)

Is Hell Real? What The Bible Says About Hell / Why Has Preaching About Hell Reduced In Churches? / How I Got Born-again (Christians Only) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Wrath Of God: Discussion About Hell - Strictly Christians Only by CrazyMan(m): 6:05pm On Oct 22, 2012
ijawkid: Your point??

What did the rich man do that should make him burn for all eternity in hell fire.....??

Answer me...

I've read those verses and still can't pin point what the rich man did to roast in a fire.....

And it seems that from this parable(literally speaking) all poor persons and beggars will go to heaven....abi??
Why can't you understand that passage.

It was a parable...it didn't actually happen. Jesus told that story for the purpose of giving; he wants us to have compassion on the poor.
Re: The Wrath Of God: Discussion About Hell - Strictly Christians Only by Freksy(m): 6:07pm On Oct 22, 2012
Mr_Anony:
This is the reason why I asked everyone to give their introduction so that it will be easy to go back and see exactly what each person's position is instead of merely generalizing based on what you think the person is saying.

I have not claimed that the parable should be taken literally but I have pointed out that clearly the conscious suffering of a sinner after death is a core point of Jesus' parables.

If you had bothered to read my argument through and through, you would have noticed that I do not necessarily hold that hell is a literal fire. What I do hold is that there is definitely eternal suffering for the sinner after death and Jesus pointed at this in his parables.

Who are you trying to kid?

If truly you believe that Jesus' parable is figurative why then did you introduce it as follows:

"One may argue that the story is figurative but two things are quite certain from this parable"......by Mr Anony.

It's another way of saying: though others may claim Jesus' parable is figurative, but as for me, it's 100% literal.

Again, if you truly believe it is figurative why then do you frequently quote same to substantiate your teaching on a literally fiery Hell?

How would it sound if I claim that knife is not harmful but each time I talk about dangerous weapons I mention it as number one example? Is that not contradictory?

I am sure you are trying to avoid the questions that are associated with the literally meaning of the parable.
Re: The Wrath Of God: Discussion About Hell - Strictly Christians Only by Freksy(m): 6:21pm On Oct 22, 2012
Mr_Anony:
Interestingly Fresky, you omitted a large part of Christ talking about a suffering after judgment. What you are proposing sounds like this: Man sins and dies, God resurrects him and says something along the lines of "you have been a very bad boy haven't you? Now go back to sleep".

Annihilation is not preached in the scripture. It is only something you have assumed. It is special pleading to say that though the bible says that the devil will be tormented forever in the lake of fire, that man thrown into the same lake of fire will somehow be exempt from the same punishment but will simply go into another long eternal sleep. This is false.

Just to be sure, so that the above isn't just a conclusion I am jumping to. Do you agree that the wicked will be resurrected for judgment as it says in Rev 20? or do you hold that they will never even rise at all?

The part you cited in the book of Psalms where the wicked will be cut off was referring to a physical death. How do I know? I read the whole Psalm and nothing about that verse seems to indicate an afterlife cutting off.

One more thing Fresky. please stick to KJV or RSV as we have agreed, NKJV is not one of the translations we agreed upon (yeah I know it is very similar to KJV and it is also my favoured translation but then an agreement is an agreement. Let's respect that).

"Then Death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. This is the second death, the lake of fire;" - Rev. 20:14 RSV.

Do you agree with Rev. 20:14 that the lake of fire = the second death? If yes, what is your definition of death? Is death not a form of punishment?
Re: The Wrath Of God: Discussion About Hell - Strictly Christians Only by cyrexx: 6:23pm On Oct 22, 2012
Freksy:

Who are you trying to kid?

If truly you believe that Jesus' parable is figurative why then did you introduce it as follows:

"One may argue that the story is figurative but two things are quite certain from this parable"......by Mr Anony.

It's another way of saying: though others may claim Jesus' parable is figurative, but as for me, it's 100% literal.

Again, if you truly believe it is figurative why then do you frequently quote same to substantiate your teaching on a literally fiery Hell?

How would it sound if I claim that knife is not harmful but each time I talk about dangerous weapons I mention it as number one example? Is that not contradictory?

I am sure you are trying to avoid the questions that are associated with the literally meaning of the parable.

you are most welcome to the awesomely skillful dodging skills of mr anony. He sure knows how to wriggle like a snake out of any situation anyway anyhow.
Re: The Wrath Of God: Discussion About Hell - Strictly Christians Only by ijawkid(m): 7:10pm On Oct 22, 2012
brainpulse:

Because you have seen yourself as to question God's judgement.

Was Christ capable of knowing what really happened after death? YES
Was He capable of knowing what happened doing the time of Moses? YES- because he knew what was going to happened to him even after His death.

Nope my bro.....

We are letting the bible explain itself......

That's what I want you to do.......
Re: The Wrath Of God: Discussion About Hell - Strictly Christians Only by ijawkid(m): 7:14pm On Oct 22, 2012
CrazyMan:
Why can't you understand that passage.

It was a parable...it didn't actually happen. Jesus told that story for the purpose of giving; he wants us to have compassion on the poor.

Now you are talking....

I thought you were one of those who believe that the rich man was indeed burning literally in a fire,and then using that as a prop for the hell fire dogma.......
Re: The Wrath Of God: Discussion About Hell - Strictly Christians Only by Nobody: 7:16pm On Oct 22, 2012
frosbel:

Sir, the spirit is not yours , it is GOD's breath !!

When you die, God takes it back , period.

"then the LORD God formed man of dust from the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living being." - Genesis 2:7
breathed into him is not a literal statement. spirits have been formed and created. they are standalone entities. breathe into his nostrils means he put his spirit into the being. each spirit is an entity. how you pay for your sins is that the spirit will be put in a new body and then tossed into the earth as a new born baby. then the new being formed but with the same spirit pays for the sin. no such thing as the spirit is a force or electricity from God. spirits are beings.
Re: The Wrath Of God: Discussion About Hell - Strictly Christians Only by Nobody: 7:22pm On Oct 22, 2012
obadiah777: breathed into him is not a literal statement. spirits have been formed and created. they are standalone entities. breathe into his nostrils means he put his spirit into the being. each spirit is an entity. how you pay for your sins is that the spirit will be put in a new body and then tossed into the earth as a new born baby. then the new being formed but with the same spirit pays for the sin. no such thing as the spirit is a force or electricity from God. spirits are beings.

Wrong.

Angels are spirits, MAN is a mortal soul.

Show me in the bible where GOD says MAN is a spirit.

"Who maketh his angels spirits; his ministers a flaming fire:" - Psalm 104:4

"And the LORD said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also is flesh: yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years." - Genesis 6:3
Re: The Wrath Of God: Discussion About Hell - Strictly Christians Only by Nobody: 7:24pm On Oct 22, 2012
frosbel:

No.

It states clearly that the spirit or breath of GOD returns back to him.

ruach: breath, wind, spirit
Original Word: ר֫וּחַ
Part of Speech: Noun Feminine
Transliteration: ruach
Phonetic Spelling: (roo'-akh)
Short Definition: spirit
you are not your body. your body is simply dust from the ground. you are your spirit. we are spiritual beings wearing a dust suit. the spirit is who you are.
Re: The Wrath Of God: Discussion About Hell - Strictly Christians Only by Nobody: 7:26pm On Oct 22, 2012
frosbel:

Wrong.

Angels are spirits, MAN is a mortal soul.

Show me in the bible where GOD says MAN is a spirit.

"Who maketh his angels spirits; his ministers a flaming fire:" - Psalm 104:4

"And the LORD said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also is flesh: yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years." - Genesis 6:3
Angel just means MESSENGER. you need to lay off the roman catholic doctrine. those angels that nearly got ra-ped in Sodom ? are you saying a spirit was about to get raped ?
Re: The Wrath Of God: Discussion About Hell - Strictly Christians Only by Nobody: 7:30pm On Oct 22, 2012
obadiah777: you are not your body. your body is simply dust from the ground. you are your spirit. we are spiritual beings wearing a dust suit. the spirit is who you are.

I am a combination of spirit and body.

My body belongs to me and my spirit belongs to GOD.

A combination of my body and God's spirit or breath = me as a living SOUL.

You seem to be making a mistake, spirit in the bible does not always means a being.

Of course where God and the angels are concerned it is true, but humans have a part of GOD in them, the power of this life giving breath or his spirit.

When a man dies this spirit returns to GOD.

You cannot know more than King Solomon, or can you ?

King James 2000 Bible (©2003)
Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it - Ecclesiastes 12:7

"His breath goes forth, he returns to his earth; in that very day his thoughts perish." - Psalm 146:4

spirit in the context of man means his breath which God breathed into him as soon as he came into being.

7307 ruwach roo'-akh from 7306; wind; by resemblance breath,
Re: The Wrath Of God: Discussion About Hell - Strictly Christians Only by Nobody: 7:35pm On Oct 22, 2012
frosbel: I have two questions for the house.

Is MAN an immortal soul ?

When MAN dies and his spirit returns to GOD as the wisest King on earth Solomon said, is there any other part of him that goes to somewhere unmentioned ?
man is an immortal soul. the body wears out and dies but the spirit lives forever. lets examine this verse

matthew 16 vs 28 I tell you the truth, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom." when was this statement made ? around 2000 years ago ? so are there 2000 year old men walking around today that we dont know about ? NO. what does that tell you ? that verse tells you that the spirit is what makes the man and not the body. some of those spirits in those men standing there with Christ will not die spiritually because they were part of the 144,000 sealed whose spirits reside in the lord forever and will keep on being alive and residing with the lord till Christ comes. what does that tell you again ? you are your spirit not your body. your spirit has a personality that it expresses through your body. your spirit is not an electricity used to jump start a flesh as Truthislight and Frosbel have said. thats just a ludicrous and preposterous assertion
Re: The Wrath Of God: Discussion About Hell - Strictly Christians Only by Nobody: 7:44pm On Oct 22, 2012
obadiah777: man is an immortal soul. the body wears out and dies but the spirit lives forever. lets examine this verse

matthew 16 vs 28 I tell you the truth, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom." when was this statement made ? around 2000 years ago ? so are there 2000 year old men walking around today that we dont know about ? NO. what does that tell you ? that verse tells you that the spirit is what makes the man and not the body. some of those spirits in those men standing there with Christ will not die spiritually because they were part of the 144,000 sealed whose spirits reside in the lord forever and will keep on being alive and residing with the lord till Christ comes. what does that tell you again ? you are your spirit not your body. your spirit has a personality that it expresses through your body. your spirit is not an electricity used to jump start a flesh as Truthislight and Frosbel have said. thats just a ludicrous and preposterous assertion

Man is not an immortal soul , there is nowhere in scripture were this is presented as TRUTH.

Please show me these areas of scripture that support your theology.
Re: The Wrath Of God: Discussion About Hell - Strictly Christians Only by Nobody: 7:46pm On Oct 22, 2012
frosbel:

Man is not an immortal soul , there is nowhere in scripture were this is presented as TRUTH.

Please show me these areas of scripture that support your theology.
daniel 7 vs 18 But the saints of the Most High shall receive the kingdom and possess the kingdom forever, forever and ever FOREVER AND EVER AND EVER ?
Re: The Wrath Of God: Discussion About Hell - Strictly Christians Only by Nobody: 7:49pm On Oct 22, 2012
obadiah777: daniel 7 vs 18 But the saints of the Most High shall receive the kingdom and possess the kingdom forever, forever and ever FOREVER AND EVER AND EVER ?

after they are granted immortality.

" For in the resurrection they neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are like angels in heaven." - Matthew 22:30
Re: The Wrath Of God: Discussion About Hell - Strictly Christians Only by Nobody: 7:56pm On Oct 22, 2012
frosbel:

after they are granted immortality.

" For in the resurrection they neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are like angels in heaven." - Matthew 22:30
THATS A PARABLE. and what the parable is trying to say is that when christ is on earth, no one will be married to their idols anymore. this is another reincarnation verse which further proves the point that spirits are forever. spirits dont get destroyed. souls are immortal
Re: The Wrath Of God: Discussion About Hell - Strictly Christians Only by Nobody: 8:17pm On Oct 22, 2012
obadiah777: THATS A PARABLE. and what the parable is trying to say is that when christ is on earth, no one will be married to their idols anymore. this is another reincarnation verse which further proves the point that spirits are forever. spirits dont get destroyed. souls are immortal

you lost me grin grin
Re: The Wrath Of God: Discussion About Hell - Strictly Christians Only by Nobody: 8:19pm On Oct 22, 2012
Mr_Anony:
I know you probably don't mean it that way but then if scripture becomes self-refuting, it breaks down.

Twin bro, I get this tendency to civility, but I would rather you do not condone evil especially when it is evident in them who claim Christ. It will probably portray you as intolerant but it does pay to be on the Lord's side regardless who is on the other.

The antecedents of truthislight's crew is completely in agreement with what he said: they use Scriptures to refute Scriptures. He may have not meant to say that, or he may have but it is in fact what they do and why I do not hide the fact that I cannot tolerate their arguments. My first experience of such foolishness was with frosbel who would throw Scriptures at you when you questioned any position he held that appeared to contradict a particular Scripture. I warned him then that it is antichrist to pit Scriptures against themselves. Then I saw the liberality with which truthislight dispensed such wickedness.

True, there is a great deal that we do not know, especially what goes on in the heart of a man. But we may see what a man does and deal with him accordingly. These "brethren" hold no respect for the Bible and probably never will. Do not ever excuse them, I beg you, that you may not be taken in their snare. If they change, we will rejoice in the blessing of added brethren. But until they do, I beg you, cease from reckoning with them as brethren. It will only have you standing contrary to Christ in the most subtle ways.
Re: The Wrath Of God: Discussion About Hell - Strictly Christians Only by Nobody: 8:25pm On Oct 22, 2012
frosbel:

you lost me grin grin
most of the stories in matthew mark luke and john are parables. its a hidden way of making a point. the point being made with that parable is that during the ressurection ( of CHRIST OR 'THE RETURN OF CHRIST ON EARTH' ) people will not be given to marriage ( DOES NOT MEAN PEOPLE WILL NOT GET MARRIED TO THEIR SPOUSES. ITS TALKING ABOUT THEY WILL NOT BE MARRIED TO OTHER DOCTRINES AND PHILOSOPHIES AND IDOLS ). They will be as angels of God in heaven meaning they will be messengers of God. they will only obey God now. no more idols. total allegiance to God
Re: The Wrath Of God: Discussion About Hell - Strictly Christians Only by Nobody: 8:34pm On Oct 22, 2012
Ihedinobi:

The antecedents of truthislight's crew is completely in agreement with what he said: they use Scriptures to refute Scriptures. He may have not meant to say that, or he may have but it is in fact what they do and why I do not hide the fact that I cannot tolerate their arguments. My first experience of such foolishness was with frosbel who would throw Scriptures at you when you questioned any position he held that appeared to contradict a particular Scripture. I warned him then that it is antichrist to pit Scriptures against themselves. Then I saw the liberality with which truthislight dispensed such wickedness.

lol, grin.

Is the anti-Christ one who likes to use loads of scripture to validate a particular truth or is he one that goes on endless ramblings without one word of scripture mentioned in support of his argument.

The truth is , you have your understanding severely beclouded with tradition , and until you start to show some humility , you may never understand the deep truths of the bible.

4 Likes

Re: The Wrath Of God: Discussion About Hell - Strictly Christians Only by God2man(m): 8:37pm On Oct 22, 2012
What is the meaning of the word "parable"?
Cambridge international dictionary of English: A short simple story which teaches or explains an idea, especially a moral or religious idea.

There are 70 parables in the new testament alone. Jesus used parable to make people understand his teachings. He used it as an illustration, a proverb, or figurativelly.

Now, out of all the 70 parables in the new testament, no name was mentioned, i repeat, no name was mentioned. Looking at Luke 16: 19-31, names were mentioned
1. Abraham ( a real man in the old testament, not an illustration or a figure)
2. Lazarus. ( an unknown man) but he actually existed accrording to the first statement Jesus made, THERE WAS A CERTAIN RICH MAN,(no name), but look closely at the word "CERTAIN" Which is also applicable to other parables for example Luke 16:1-13, THERE WAS A CERTAIN RICH MAN(no name) again. We all know that this is the parable of an unjust steward.

I am concern about Luke 16:19 - 31. My people, THIS IS NOT A PARABLE. It actually happened. Why? Names were mentioned and also the word "certain" is a very powerful word in the context.

My conclusion is that the story of Abraham, the unknown rich man, and Lazarus in Luke 16:19-31, is a literal one, and NOT A PARABLE,Christ never used lies to convey his teachings.
People may not believe that hell is real because Jesus had already predicted it, see:

" And he said unto him, if they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they(doubters) be persuaded, though one rose from the dead" Luke 16:31

God bless you.
God2man.
Re: The Wrath Of God: Discussion About Hell - Strictly Christians Only by Nobody: 8:43pm On Oct 22, 2012
God2man: What is the meaning of the word "parable"?
Cambridge international dictionary of English: A short simple story which teaches or explains an idea, especially a moral or religious idea.

There are 70 parables in the new testament alone. Jesus used parable to make people understand his teachings. He used it as an illustration, a proverb, or figurativelly.

Now, out of all the 70 parables in the new testament, no name was mentioned, i repeat, no name was mentioned. Looking at Luke 16: 19-31, names were mentioned
1. Abraham ( a real man in the old testament, not an illustration or a figure)
2. Lazarus. ( an unknown man) but he actually existed accrording to the first statement Jesus made, THERE WAS A CERTAIN RICH MAN,(no name), but look closely at the word "CERTAIN" Which is also applicable to other parables for example Luke 16:1-13, THERE WAS A CERTAIN RICH MAN(no name) again. We all know that this is the parable of an unjust steward.

I am concern about Luke 16:19 - 31. My people, THIS IS NOT A PARABLE. It actually happened. Why? Names were mentioned and also the word "certain" is a very powerful word in the context.

My conclusion is that the story of Abraham, the unknown rich man, and Lazarus in Luke 16:19-31, is a literal one, and NOT A PARABLE,Christ never used lies to convey his teachings.

People may not believe that hell is real because Jesus had already predicted it, see:

" And he said unto him, if they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they(doubters) be persuaded, though one rose from the dead" Luke 16:31

God bless you.
God2man.
http://www.web-ministry.com/religious/parables/lazarus/

http://amazingdiscoveries.org/S-deception-death-Lazarus-hell

http://www.tentmaker.org/articles/Lazarus-byHuie.htm
Re: The Wrath Of God: Discussion About Hell - Strictly Christians Only by ijawkid(m): 8:45pm On Oct 22, 2012
Ihedinobi:

Twin bro, I get this tendency to civility, but I would rather you do not condone evil especially when it is evident in them who claim Christ. It will probably portray you as intolerant but it does pay to be on the Lord's side regardless who is on the other.

True, there is a great deal that we do not know, especially what goes on in the heart of a man. But we may see what a man does and deal with him accordingly. These "brethren" hold no respect for the Bible and probably never will. Do not ever excuse them, I beg you, that you may not be taken in their snare. If they change, we will rejoice in the blessing of added brethren. But until they do, I beg you, cease from reckoning with them as brethren. It will only have you standing contrary to Christ in the most subtle ways.

Now what in the world do you think you are saying??

1 Like

Re: The Wrath Of God: Discussion About Hell - Strictly Christians Only by Nobody: 9:05pm On Oct 22, 2012
ijawkid:

Now what in the world do you think you are saying??

He hates bible quotations.
Re: The Wrath Of God: Discussion About Hell - Strictly Christians Only by Nobody: 9:16pm On Oct 22, 2012
I really cannot add much to Lord Reed's, Image123's, Reyginius's and Mr Anony's intro, to mention the few believers I remember here represented. They fully capture my stand on the matter at hand. However, I will point out the following.

§§ God is utterly just.

§§ God is utterly merciful.

§§ When God saves, He saves to the uttermost.

§§ When God destroys, He destroys utterly.

§§ When God's Mercy has been rejected, only His Wrath can be had and it will be had without respite.

§§ God is no respecter of persons.

What I think about hellfire or the lake of fire or the Second Death is recorded in 2 Thessalonians 1:5-10 which in the RSV reads thus

2 Thessalonians 1 vv 5-10 RSV:
This is evidence of the righteous judgment of God, that you may be worthy of the kingdom of God, for which you are suffering - since indeed God deems it just to repay with affliction those who afflict you, and to grant rest with us to you who are afflicted, when the Lord Jesus is revealed from heaven with his mighty angels in flaming fire, inflicting vengeance upon those who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus. They shall suffer the punishment of eternal destruction and exclusion from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of his might, when he comes on that day to be glorified in his saints, and to be marveled at in all who have believed, because our testimony to you was believed.

And because of the tendency to read termination into the word, "destruction", which tendency should normally be checked by the words, "vengeance", "affliction", and "exclusion", I proceed to point out the following verse in the Revelation of Jesus Christ as given to John also reading from the RSV

Revelation 14:9-11 RSV:
And another angel, a third, followed them, saying with a loud voice, "If any one worships the beast and its image, and receives a mark on his forehead or on his hand, he also shall drink the wine of God's wrath, poured unmixed into the cup of his anger, and he shall be tormented with fire and sulphur in the presence of the holy angels and in the presence of the Lamb. And the smoke of their torment goes up for ever and ever; and THEY HAVE NO REST, day or night, these worshippers of the beast and its image, and whoever receives the mark of its name."

Already, I am fully aware of the arguments that may be raised against the passage in Revelation, but the thing that I think does clinch the discussion is the nature and purpose of man. It is easy to forget that sin or corruption or that departure from the correct and the normal is the aberration, not the normal. Man is first a man, before he is a sinner. What a sinner is is essentially a corruption of the entity called man. Therefore, if man is to be correctly analysed, sin must be put in its correct place: that of an aberration.

Having said so, I think it necessary to address the nature of man. What is man? The clearest statement in the Scriptures about man is that in Genesis 1:27 viz "in the image of God he created him". Man is that which was created to be like God. In other words, Man is what God would be if God were a creature. Sin is a corruption of the Reality called Man.

Man as Man, I declare, was built to last. Why? Because he was created for dominion. He was created to be God's means of government over His whole creation. What we see in the beginning of Genesis is Man in potential, what follows is Man failing to reach full potential and essentially losing character. What we find finally in Revelation is Man, not only restored but in full actualization of his potentials. I have said this to point out that even though God knew that the entity called Man would be corrupted and therefore prepared beforehand to correct the anomaly when it happened, He still created Man to be Man.

Man is, in a sense, eternal. The sense in which I mean is that he was a thought from eternity, an actuality in time and a perpetuation in eternity. He will continue to exist because he was made to. Sin only redirects his existence, it does not "delete" it. This is why the Salvation offered in Jesus Christ is such a big deal in the first instance. Man will go on either in actualizing all that he was created for or in failing utterly of it all, either way, he will continue to exist.

Physical Death is a condition that exists, just like time, to correct the issue of Sin. Without it, the corruption reigns unchecked. Consider Jeremiah 18:1-17 especially verse 4 as an illustration of this point. If within the time frame alloted a given individual is reclaimed, wonderful, if not, too bad. But the Spirit of the Lord will not strive with flesh forever. At a point, the man must be left to his fate. Said condition exists to truncate this strife for the stiff-necked and to reap the harvest of fruitful work.

TBC
Re: The Wrath Of God: Discussion About Hell - Strictly Christians Only by Nobody: 10:07pm On Oct 22, 2012
Continuing . . .

The temporal realms exist to facilitate the work of redemption. At the end of this effort of the Lord's, some of Man will be redeemed, some will not be. By physical death and by rapture (or catching up into heaven while alive), the fruit of this work is gathered. But this fruit will not be evaluated and separated until a Day, that Day of which the Scriptures speak so eloquently.

Upon that Day, the true worth of every life will be named by the One with the Eyes of Fire, the One Who sees all and comprehends all. That worth will say where each life belongs. Now, while the sentencing may be regarded as punishment and reward, and without error too, it is actually far more than that. The sentencing is actually the concluding of all matters: he that sins shall continue to sin, he that does right shall continue to do right. What this means is that heaven or hell is actually what the individual first is, before what they receive. If a man is in heaven, it is because heaven is in him. If he is in hell, it is because hell is in him.

Hell might be an actual fire or it may not be. But whether or not it is, it is definitely chaos, that is, purposelessness. How so? Because that which rejects God, rejects its very Purpose of existence and will end up in a state of utter, irreconcilable confusion. A world in which all that rules is self is one which has no rule at all. It might as well be a world on fire. This is what I know hell to be. Such a place exists because people who belong there exist. The torment that hell is is the torment of an everlasting discontent whatever else it might be. It is the condition of longing and not having because one rejects what they long for. It is a condition of regret without repentance. If hell had no fire and no worms, it wouldn't be any less calamitous for all that, because its very inhabitants are aflame with all that is evil.

As with all things in the Scripture, these things are actual and here with us. We know that hell exists because it is among us today. We see it in every departure from the correct, the true and the good. Heaven is also seen in all that is correct, true and good. In part we see maybe, but we do see. Man is inexcusable.
Re: The Wrath Of God: Discussion About Hell - Strictly Christians Only by Nobody: 10:19pm On Oct 22, 2012
I finish finally with the mention that this current temporal reality is actually not the actual thing for man. It exists like school does: to fix the problem of sin. It's sort of a looping out of an original plan to deal with an anomaly before returning to the original purpose. Since it is with a view to returning to the original purpose, there will be elements of the original plan in it. But they will be in very limited display.

This means that that for which man was created is seen only in part here. It is to be seen in fullness only in the fuller, eternal realms. In those realms also, the full implications of a departure from this purpose for which man was made are also seen. For this reason I reiterate that man is first man before he's a sinner. When he becomes a sinner, he has departed from his original purpose and the eternal realms will find him pursuing an aimless path and achieving nothing. That is unless he is reclaimed and set back on the right path.
Re: The Wrath Of God: Discussion About Hell - Strictly Christians Only by Nobody: 10:42pm On Oct 22, 2012
Thankfully we have the inerrant word of GOD that debunks human opinions, reasonings and philosophy !!

"That your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God" - 1 Corinthians 2:5
Re: The Wrath Of God: Discussion About Hell - Strictly Christians Only by ijawkid(m): 10:43pm On Oct 22, 2012
Ihedinobi: I really cannot add much to Lord Reed's, Image123's, Reyginius's and Mr Anony's intro, to mention the few believers I remember here represented. They fully capture my stand on the matter at hand. However, I will point out the following.

§§ God is utterly just.

§§ When God's Mercy has been rejected, only His Wrath can be had and it will be had without respite.

What I think about hellfire or the lake of fire or the Second Death is recorded in 2 Thessalonians 1:5-10 which in the RSV reads thus

And because of the tendency to read termination into the word, "destruction", which tendency should normally be checked by the words, "vengeance", "affliction", and "exclusion", I proceed to point out the following verse in the Revelation of Jesus Christ as given to John also reading from the RSV

Already, I am fully aware of the arguments that may be raised against the passage in Revelation, but the thing that I think does clinch the discussion is the nature and purpose of man. It is easy to forget that sin or corruption or that departure from the correct and the normal is the aberration, not the normal. Man is first a man, before he is a sinner. What a sinner is is essentially a corruption of the entity called man. Therefore, if man is to be correctly analysed, sin must be put in its correct place: that of an aberration.

Having said so, I think it necessary to address the nature of man. What is man? The clearest statement in the Scriptures about man is that in Genesis 1:27 viz "in the image of God he created him". Man is that which was created to be like God. In other words, Man is what God would be if God were a creature. Sin is a corruption of the Reality called Man.

Man as Man, I declare, was built to last. Why? Because he was created for dominion. He was created to be God's means of government over His whole creation. What we see in the beginning of Genesis is Man in potential, what follows is Man failing to reach full potential and essentially losing character. What we find finally in Revelation is Man, not only restored but in full actualization of his potentials. I have said this to point out that even though God knew that the entity called Man would be corrupted and therefore prepared beforehand to correct the anomaly when it happened, He still created Man to be Man.

Man is, in a sense, eternal. The sense in which I mean is that he was a thought from eternity, an actuality in time and a perpetuation in eternity. He will continue to exist because he was made to. Sin only redirects his existence, it does not "delete" it. This is why the Salvation offered in Jesus Christ is such a big deal in the first instance. Man will go on either in actualizing all that he was created for or in failing utterly of it all, either way, he will continue to exist.

Physical Death is a condition that exists, just like time, to correct the issue of Sin. Without it, the corruption reigns unchecked. Consider Jeremiah 18:1-17 especially verse 4 as an illustration of this point. If within the time frame alloted a given individual is reclaimed, wonderful, if not, too bad. But the Spirit of the Lord will not strive with flesh forever. At a point, the man must be left to his fate. Said condition exists to truncate this strife for the stiff-necked and to reap the harvest of fruitful work.

TBC

Ihedinobi my bro have you ever tried allowing the bible explain itself...I always insist on this because if we don't let the bible completely do its work we'll end up adopting misconceptions and imbibing myths...

Now try comparing revelation 14:11 which you used as an evidence for persons spending eternity in a fiery Hell ,with the same prophecy that was directed at the nation of EDOm...God pronounced exactly the same Judgement he dished out to those who worshiped the wild beast and its image. In rev 14:11 on the Ñation of EDOM...

Now let's read that from isaiah 34:9 $ 10

9 And the streams thereof shall be turned
into pitch, and the dust thereof into
brimstone, and the land thereof shall become
burning pitch. 10 [It shall not be quenched night
nor day; the smoke thereof shall go up for
ever]: from generation to generation it shall lie
waste ; none shall pass through it for ever and
ever.
(KJV)

Now my question to you ihedinobi:::

From isaiahs prophecy can we say EDOM was hurled into some mythical hell fire to burn forever??is EDOM still Roasting in a fire that can never be extinguished for
ever??

NO I think should be your answer...

Rather the nation completely disappeared from the world scene as if she had been totally consumed with fire and sulphur...

The final result of the purnishment on EDOM was not everlasting torment but ""emptiness""....""wasteness""...""NOTHING""...read isaiah 34:11-12 to confirm that....

The smoke ""going up forever"" vividly illustrates EDOMs complete destruction and wasteness...

Even till today Gods people remember The lesson to be learned from the destruction of EDOM...in this way the ""smoke of her burning"" is still going up in a symbolic way....

In the same vain those who have the mark of the wild beast will be completely destroyed,as if by fire..as the prophecy in revelation later reveals ,their dead bodies will be left unburied for animals to eat...
Revelation 19: 17-18 confirms that.....

So it is clear that worshippers of the wild beast ,along with satan will not be tormented or tortured literally forever,rather complete annihilation is what they'll face...

you will have to go back and read 2 thesselonians 1:5-10 that speaks about eternal destruction...

Also revelation 20:14 that speaks symbolically of total destruction(2nd death)....

Also remember sodom and gomorrah under went the same purnishment of eternal fire.....

once again I re-iterate:::

It is either LIFE ETERNAL or ETERNAL DEATH ....

4 Likes

Re: The Wrath Of God: Discussion About Hell - Strictly Christians Only by ijawkid(m): 10:43pm On Oct 22, 2012
Ihedinobi: I really cannot add much to Lord Reed's, Image123's, Reyginius's and Mr Anony's intro, to mention the few believers I remember here represented. They fully capture my stand on the matter at hand. However, I will point out the following.

§§ God is utterly just.

TBC

Re: The Wrath Of God: Discussion About Hell - Strictly Christians Only by LordReed(m): 11:20pm On Oct 22, 2012
frosbel:

No Sir.

It is either the fire is literal as Jesus stated or it is not.

You cannot pick and choose some parts of the parable as literal and others as not.

We have to be consistent here.

Btw what is the rich man's name ?

What does the burning bush have to do with this ? Or should we start looking for fire all over the bible and qualify these occurrences as evidence to support your bogus hell ?

God is a consuming fire, and just because the bush Moses saw was not consumed does not mean God's fire will not consume his enemies.

I don't need to pick and choose. The burning bush episode is just to illustrate that spiritually phenomenon do not always follow the rules of their physical analogues.

What was the name of the man Jesus healed of leprosy or the one He cast demons out of or the Samaritan woman? That names are not given do not make a narrative less real. However no other parables names a protagonist. Even if it was just a parable why would Jesus use false conditions to illustrate a truth something He never does.

Hell or what ever name you call it is not bogus. Contest its nature all you want but scripture says it exists and will be populated by those who God judges to be deserving of it.

If God going to simply annihilate His enemies how is it that Satan can be bound and then loosed again after a thousand years?

One thing we must credit God with certainly is intelligence. God knows what He is doing and if He created a prison for His enemies then there certainly is a strategic reason in His master craft for such a creation.

1 Like

Re: The Wrath Of God: Discussion About Hell - Strictly Christians Only by Nobody: 11:22pm On Oct 22, 2012
^^^ I don't care for running circles around Scriptures so I do not intend to interpret Isaiah 34:9,10. I would rather ask what you think of Isaiah 14:4-23. Who is the subject of that prophecy? Consider also Ezekiel 28:11-19 and answer the same question for me regarding it.

Edited.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

Clothing And The Believer In A 'Modern World' / Why Christianity Is Wrong / Death Is Proof That A Higher Power (god) Exists

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 168
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.