Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,162 members, 7,829,152 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 08:30 PM

The Wrath Of God: Discussion About Hell - Strictly Christians Only - Religion (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Wrath Of God: Discussion About Hell - Strictly Christians Only (16389 Views)

Is Hell Real? What The Bible Says About Hell / Why Has Preaching About Hell Reduced In Churches? / How I Got Born-again (Christians Only) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Wrath Of God: Discussion About Hell - Strictly Christians Only by Nobody: 11:59am On Oct 23, 2012
Truthabounds:

Hell: A word used in the King James Version (as well as in the Catholic Douay Version and most older translations) to translate the Hebrew sheʼohl′ and the Greek hai′des. In the King James Version the word “hell” is rendered from sheʼohl′ 31 times and from hai′des 10 times. This version is not consistent, however, since sheʼohl′ is also translated 31 times “grave” and 3 times “pit.” In the Douay Version sheʼohl′ is rendered “hell” 64 times, “pit” once, and “death” once.
Concerning this use of “hell” to translate these original words from the Hebrew and Greek, Vine’s Expository Dictionary of Old and New Testament Words (1981, Vol. 2, p. 187) says: “HADES . . . It corresponds to ‘Sheol’ in the O.T. [Old Testament]. In the A.V. of the O.T. [Old Testament] and N.T. [New Testament], it has been unhappily rendered ‘Hell.’”
From my study of the Bible I have come to the conclusion that Hell is not a literal burning fire of torment, but it is only the common grave of mankind to which we all go. Even Jesus himself went into hades (sheol).
The doctrine that hell is a place of torment is not based on the Bible. Rather, it is a pagan belief masquerading as a Christian teaching.

Thank You.
Re: The Wrath Of God: Discussion About Hell - Strictly Christians Only by alexleo(m): 12:13pm On Oct 23, 2012
MY STAND ON THE ISSUE BEING DISCUSSED.

I have no doubt that there is heaven and there is hell. No doubt that if a sinner dies he goes to hell to be tormented while awaiting the second resurrection when hell will be cast into the lake of fire with all its content while the righteous goes to rest with the Lord while awaiting the day of resurrection. In Luke 16;19-31 Jesus told us the story of the rich man and Lazarus and i believe that the story is beyond a parable.

1. All the parables that Jesus gave in the bible he never mentioned names except this very one. For example the parable of the ten virgins, names were not mentioned. In the parable of the unfaithful steward, no name was mentioned. In that of the sower and the seed, no name was mentioned etc. Therefore, the fact that names of people we are already aware of in the scriptures were mentioned here takes it beyond just parables.

2. Assuming it is just a parable, what are the lessons that Christ was trying to pass here because he used parables to also teach? Every parable carries a lesson with it and if this is a parable then the simple lesson Christ is teaching here is that when a righteous man dies he is taking to a place of glory where he is comforted and when a sinner dies he is taking to a place of torment.
Note that the rich man requested that someone be raised to from among the dead to go and tell his brothers what was going on. In other words someone should go and tell his brothers that if they dont repent and dies that there is a place of torment awaiting them.

3. The rich man said that his brothers should REPENT which simply tells us that he (the rich man) was there because he didnt repent and not because he was rich. Abraham too was rich in his life time on earth but wasnt in hell with the rich man. So the idea that the man was in hell because he was rich doesnt hold water.

4, For those who are doubting the possibility of a conversation between Abraham and the rich man who were quite a long distance apart i want to say that there is nothing to doubt. The bible tells us that with God all things are possible so there is nothing hard for God to allow a conversation to go on between these two people irrespective of the distance. In the old testament God spoke from heaven and people on earth heard his voice irrespective of the distance between heaven and earth. In Matthew 17;4-6, God spoke from heaven and people heard it on earth. In acts 9;3-4, Jesus spoke from heaven to saul and he heard his voice. When we try to paint certain things as if God's power is limited that he cant make those things happen just to drive our point it becomes pathetic.

Those who are trying to cover the reality of hell are just deceiving themselves because at the end of the day they will still face the reality of it when they leave this world but it would have been too late to amend their ways. Jesus spoke so much about hell and its torments in the bible with so much emphasis so for some people to come here and deceive people with cheap gospel is at their own detriment and the ones they will succeed in deceiving. God is not man.

1 Like

Re: The Wrath Of God: Discussion About Hell - Strictly Christians Only by Nobody: 12:16pm On Oct 23, 2012
ijawkid:

I just went through isaiah 14...

And aLl it did was re-affirm the bibles stand on the fact that eternal death or everlasting destruction is what awaits persons or nations who don't obey God...

I would like to point out to you first that isaiah 14 was a ""proverbial saying"" against the ""babylonian dynasty.""..(isaiah 14:4-6)
The subject of that prophecy is ""BABYLON""....verse 4 transpicuously tells us that...

those expressions penned down through out this chapter are a symbol of what babylon will face and what it did Face....

Isaiah 14:7-8 shows how the kings of the nations round about were to babylons rulers,like trees to be cut down and used for their own purposes..well all of that is finished since the wood cutter(babylon) is soon to be destroyed....

So astonishing was babylons fall that even HELL reacts...
Mind you ihedinobi,HELL is sheol or hades, the coMmon grave of mankind,not a literal fiery place of torment...

This powerful poetic image depicts HELL(common grave of mankind) as waking up all those kings who preceded the babylonian dynasty into death so that they can greet the new comer..they mock the babylonian ruling power,which is now feeble,helpless and lying down on a bed of maggots...(Isaiah 14:9-11)...

This proverbial pronouncment coÑtinues in verse 12 as babylons kings A.K.A lucifer according to the KJV is cut down to the earth..babylon§ pomp and priÐe met its end...

Verses 15-17 shows the reversal that was in store for the proud babylonian dynasty..
The ambitious dynasty will come down to Hades(sheol) just like any human...

So ihedinobi I don't see how this chapter of isaiah supports your stance on the eternal fiery torment dogma...

Rather this chapter proverbially explains how the fall or destruction of the babylonian Dynasty would be.."" permanent and complete"".....it would be rooted out..there would be no renaissance of that dynasty....

Verses 21-23 tells us that...

21 Prepare slaughter for his children for the
iniquity of their fathers; that they do not rise,
nor possess the land, nor fill the face of the
world with cities.
22 For I will rise up against them, saith the
LORD of hosts, and cut off from Babylon the
name, and remnant, and son, and nephew, saith
the LORD.
23 I will also make it a possession for the
bittern, and pools of water: and I will sweep it
with the besom of ""destruction"", saith the
LORD of hosts.
(KJV)

Read verse 23 in particular....total destruction is what befell babylon,not some literal everlasting torment in a furnace...

The medo persian world power gladly carried out this proverbial sayings on babylon.....

Ihedinobi my bro always remember that the word ""HELL"" is never a place of torment but mans common grave....the KJV's mistransliteratiÓn is what has been causing thi§ confusion over time....

Re: The Wrath Of God: Discussion About Hell - Strictly Christians Only by truthislight: 1:17pm On Oct 23, 2012
obadiah777: you are not your body. your body is simply dust from the ground. you are your spirit. we are spiritual beings wearing a dust suit. the spirit is who you are.

let us look at what you are saying this way:

the radio is not talking it is the current that is talking,
the radio is current it is the current that is talking all radio are current.

Can you get get a living thing independent of the other? No.
Re: The Wrath Of God: Discussion About Hell - Strictly Christians Only by Nobody: 1:20pm On Oct 23, 2012
truthislight:

i thought it was written that "the spirit goes back to its owner"

now it is your property

Why not give it to another person since it is yours?

That is if you ca[/b]n?

Who ever had a property that cannot use it the way he wants?

Is that not why God is the source of our lives?
YOU OWN THE SINS ASSOCIATED WITH THAT SPIRIT SO YES YOU OWN THE SPIRIT. EVERYTHING IN THE WORLD IS OWNED BY GOD BUT I AM SURE YOU STILL SAY 'THIS IS MY CAR' OR 'THIS IS MY HOUSE'. SAME WITH THE SPIRIT. GOD OWNS IT BUT IT IS STILL YOURS. ALL THE CRIMES IN THE HARD-DRIVE OF THAT SPIRIT WILL NOT BE SERVED BY THE LORD. YOU OWN THE CRIMES IN THAT SPIRIT AND YOU WILL SERVE IT EITHER IN THE BODY THE SPIRIT IS CURRENTLY ATTACHED TO, OR THE NEXT BODY IT IS ATTACHED TO. ANY CRIMES LOGGED IN THAT HARD-DRIVE WILL NOT EXTEND PAST ONE LIFE-TIME. ONE JUDGEMENT PER LIFE. HEBREWS 9 VS 24 [b] And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment THE SPIRIT IS YOURS. YOU CANT RUN OR HIDE FROM YOUR CRIME BRAH grin grin EVEN PROFESSOR PELLER COULDNT MAGIC HIS CRIMES AWAY
Re: The Wrath Of God: Discussion About Hell - Strictly Christians Only by truthislight: 1:26pm On Oct 23, 2012
obadiah777: man is an immortal soul. the body wears out and dies but the spirit lives forever. lets examine this verse

matthew 16 vs 28 I tell you the truth, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom." when was this statement made ? around 2000 years ago ? so are there 2000 year old men walking around today that we dont know about ? NO. what does that tell you ? that verse tells you that the spirit is what makes the man and not the body. some of those spirits in those men standing there with Christ will not die spiritually because they were part of the 144,000 sealed whose spirits reside in the lord forever and will keep on being alive and residing with the lord till Christ comes. what does that tell you again ? you are your spirit not your body. your spirit has a personality that it expresses through your body. your spirit is not an electricity used to jump start a flesh as Truthislight and Frosbel have said. thats just a ludicrous and preposterous assertion

how easily you forgot that the disciple Philip saw Jesus "in his heavenly glory standing at the right hand of God"

since you forgot you got confuse by the scriptures.

Sorry friend.
Re: The Wrath Of God: Discussion About Hell - Strictly Christians Only by truthislight: 1:34pm On Oct 23, 2012
obadiah777: THATS A PARABLE. and what the parable is trying to say is that when christ is on earth, no one will be married to their idols anymore. this is another reincarnation verse which further proves the point that spirits are forever. spirits dont get destroyed. souls are immortal

hahahahahaha^^^ hahahahaha^^^hahaha

lol in 20 languages including chinese.

Kiakiakia, MOmom, Hohoho. Lalalala, nanana, bababababa, kokokoko etc.

Anything goes for you.
Re: The Wrath Of God: Discussion About Hell - Strictly Christians Only by truthislight: 1:36pm On Oct 23, 2012
frosbel:
@Obedia77

you lost me grin grin

not only you bro, the guy has gut some skills of weight lifting.
Lol.
Re: The Wrath Of God: Discussion About Hell - Strictly Christians Only by truthislight: 1:46pm On Oct 23, 2012
obadiah777: most of the stories in matthew mark luke and john are parables. its a hidden way of making a point. the point being made with that parable is that during the ressurection ( of CHRIST OR 'THE RETURN OF CHRIST ON EARTH' ) people will not be given to marriage ( DOES NOT MEAN PEOPLE WILL NOT GET MARRIED TO THEIR SPOUSES. ITS TALKING ABOUT THEY WILL NOT BE MARRIED TO OTHER DOCTRINES AND PHILOSOPHIES AND IDOLS ). They will be as angels of God in heaven meaning they will be messengers of God. they will only obey God now. no more idols. total allegiance to God

my dear brother, please dont forget that that statement was made reply to a question that the pharisees ask Jesus about about a woman and seven brothers that got married to her and who will she marry at the recreation?

And he said the above that the "resurrected will be as the angels that they will not get married"

are you saying that Jesus christ was lying to them?
Re: The Wrath Of God: Discussion About Hell - Strictly Christians Only by Nobody: 1:49pm On Oct 23, 2012
truthislight:

how easily you forgot that the disciple Philip saw Jesus "in his heavenly glory standing at the right hand of God"

since you forgot you got confuse by the scriptures.

Sorry friend.
THAT VERSE WAS JESUS SPEAKING TO HIS DISCIPLES AND SOME OTHER PEOPLE. SOME STANDING THEIR WILL NOT SEE DEATH TILL HE ARRIVES. BEEN OVER 2000 YEARS NOW. YOU ARE YOUR SPIRIT.

JOHN 6 VS 63 It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh accomplishes nothing. The words that I have spoken to you are spirit and life YOU ARE YOUR SPIRIT NOT YOUR FLESH. YOUR FLESH IS JUST DUST
Re: The Wrath Of God: Discussion About Hell - Strictly Christians Only by Nobody: 1:51pm On Oct 23, 2012
truthislight:

not only you bro, the guy has gut some skills of weight lifting.
Lol.
grin grin grin grin BUT I AM SURE I FOUND FROSBEL AGAIN.
Re: The Wrath Of God: Discussion About Hell - Strictly Christians Only by Nobody: 1:55pm On Oct 23, 2012
truthislight:

my dear brother, please dont forget that that statement was made reply to a question that the pharisees ask Jesus about about a woman and seven brothers that got married to her and who will she marry at the recreation?

And he said the above that the "resurrected will be as the angels that they will not get married"

are you saying that Jesus christ was lying to them?
NOT SAYING JESUS WAS LYING TO THEM BUT WHILE THEY ASK HIM CARNAL QUESTIONS, HE REPLIES WITH 'HEAVENLY PARABOLIC ANSWERS'. YOU HAVE TO REMEMBER THIS >>>> And the disciples came, and said unto him, Why speakest thou unto them in parables He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given.

Re: The Wrath Of God: Discussion About Hell - Strictly Christians Only by truthislight: 2:16pm On Oct 23, 2012
Freksy:

Now tell us, your position regarding death resulting from sin better fits which of the following two statements?

1. "But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil , thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die". - Gen. 2:17 KJV

God later shaded more light on Gen. 2:17 regarding death as follows:

"In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread , till thou return unto the ground ; for out of it wast thou taken : for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return". - Gen. 3:19 KJV

2. "And the serpent said unto the woman , Ye shall not surely die" - Gen. 3:4 KJV

now, from the above it is either 1. Is tru or 2. Is true.

It is either man will die 1. Just as God said and God was right.
or
2. Man will not die but is an immortal soul and 2. Satan was right.

It is your call on whose side you are.

The devil is a con star.

2 Likes

Re: The Wrath Of God: Discussion About Hell - Strictly Christians Only by Nobody: 2:17pm On Oct 23, 2012
truthislight:

hahahahahaha^^^ hahahahaha^^^hahaha

lol in 20 languages including chinese.

Kiakiakia, MOmom, Hohoho. Lalalala, nanana, bababababa, kokokoko etc.

Anything goes for you.
grin VERY FUNNY
Re: The Wrath Of God: Discussion About Hell - Strictly Christians Only by truthislight: 2:42pm On Oct 23, 2012
Mr_Anony: Hmmm,
I had a busy day yesterday and thankfully this thread hasn't degenerated yet and we have been able to keep the insults and sectarianism to a minimum. I might not be able to post much today cause I've got a mountain of stuff to take care of (I might just be able to sneak in this post this morning before running off).

I'll give this as sort of a summary answer to objections raised so far.

It breaks my heart to have brothers who look the scripture in the eye and deny it. Thankfully, we have gotten rid of the emotional argument of a loving cuddly teddybear kind of God who won't hurt a fly.

One thing with scripture is that scripture is one. It is either all of it makes sense or none of it does. The validity of a post is not based on how many verses the poster was able to spit out but on whether the post is in alignment with what the scripture is saying.
It is bad practice to argue based on "I have 3 verses while you have 2 therefore I win" That is an insult to scripture. Scripture must be as a whole.

When we argue about hell and we raise the parable of the rich man and lazarus, and also the parables Jesus always ends with the sinner being thrown into the outer darkness where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth. Some of us immediately write it off as if it being a parable somehow makes it less true. What is even more surprising is that these same people quote a psalm (a song) or a proverb (which can also be called a parable) in order to make their points. As if a psalm and proverb are somehow more literal.
When we talk about the book of Revelations or souls and spirits of men, they say oh it is a "vision" only to quote a prophecy (which is also a vision).

Please I beg us all, let us stop insulting the Word of God like this. If a verse of scripture seems to conflict with another verse, The aim should be reconciling them so as to understand them. Instead of discrediting their value and trying to make one verse "more correct" than another.

Another tactic which I find equally puzzling is when they ask "what is the rich man's name?", "where are adam and eve","did fire burn Jesus", "who will torment the devil" (even when the bible clearly says that he will be tormented forever)etc. As if these irrelevant questions somehow mean anything or make a narrative any less valid.

If we read something from the bible, we must learn to submit to it and accept it as true even if we don't like it.

A quote I particularly like is one from Lord Reed. I believe he put it best. And I noticed everyone seemed to avoid the question he asked there.

I'll ask the same question to all of us.

[size=13pt]
Even if it is "just a parable", Why would Jesus use false conditions to illustrate a truth?[/size]

This is a question we must ask ourselves instead of merely writing it off because it is a "parable".

The thing is that if you try hard enough, you can escape from the truth. The real question is: At what price?
I urge us all, let us seek the truth instead of trying to escape from it.

The aim of this discussion is not to break into camps and "try to win" but to find out the truth of what awaits a sinner after he has died.

@Ihedinobi:

My twin bro: Good to see you finally joined in. I have noted your comment and you know my heart. I will continue to pray and hope that these men see, I will continue to give a long rope until the Holy Spirit relieves me of the responsibility and then it is feet-dusting time. (You are like Paul and me like Barnabas...but let us not split over John Mark smiley)

Please ignore a certain someone who really isn't on this thread. Don't bother replying him.

if i call you a moslem you will say you are not, but what is the difference between?

Hell fire is not a bible based doctrine as can be seen from all other religion that you will say are worshipers of satan and satan says that God will burn people in fire in those religions.

when the nation of Israel leave God they burn there children on fire, God said that such an act of burning people in fire has not entered his heart, but you said it has.
Jeremiah 7:29-31.
but now you say you are a christian but you still carry the same things that satan teach his worshipers and think you are saying the truth and play down on use of the bible as a guide.

Without 100% use of the bible how can you claim to represent the God of the bible?

When the nation of Israel via off to satan, satan command them to sacrifce their children in fire and God says he hate such, but that is what you are saying that God will do.
*sigh*
Re: The Wrath Of God: Discussion About Hell - Strictly Christians Only by Nobody: 2:47pm On Oct 23, 2012
ijawkid:

I just went through isaiah 14...

And aLl it did was re-affirm the bibles stand on the fact that eternal death or everlasting destruction is what awaits persons or nations who don't obey God...

I would like to point out to you first that isaiah 14 was a ""proverbial saying"" against the ""babylonian dynasty.""..(isaiah 14:4-6)
The subject of that prophecy is ""BABYLON""....verse 4 transpicuously tells us that...

those expressions penned down through out this chapter are a symbol of what babylon will face and what it did Face....

Isaiah 14:7-8 shows how the kings of the nations round about were to babylons rulers,like trees to be cut down and used for their own purposes..well all of that is finished since the wood cutter(babylon) is soon to be destroyed....

So astonishing was babylons fall that even HELL reacts...
Mind you ihedinobi,HELL is sheol or hades, the coMmon grave of mankind,not a literal fiery place of torment...

This powerful poetic image depicts HELL(common grave of mankind) as waking up all those kings who preceded the babylonian dynasty into death so that they can greet the new comer..they mock the babylonian ruling power,which is now feeble,helpless and lying down on a bed of maggots...(Isaiah 14:9-11)...

This proverbial pronouncment coÑtinues in verse 12 as babylons kings A.K.A lucifer according to the KJV is cut down to the earth..babylon§ pomp and priÐe met its end...

Verses 15-17 shows the reversal that was in store for the proud babylonian dynasty..
The ambitious dynasty will come down to Hades(sheol) just like any human...

So ihedinobi I don't see how this chapter of isaiah supports your stance on the eternal fiery torment dogma...

Rather this chapter proverbially explains how the fall or destruction of the babylonian Dynasty would be.."" permanent and complete"".....it would be rooted out..there would be no renaissance of that dynasty....

Verses 21-23 tells us that...

21 Prepare slaughter for his children for the
iniquity of their fathers; that they do not rise,
nor possess the land, nor fill the face of the
world with cities.
22 For I will rise up against them, saith the
LORD of hosts, and cut off from Babylon the
name, and remnant, and son, and nephew, saith
the LORD.
23 I will also make it a possession for the
bittern, and pools of water: and I will sweep it
with the besom of ""destruction"", saith the
LORD of hosts.
(KJV)

Read verse 23 in particular....total destruction is what befell babylon,not some literal everlasting torment in a furnace...

The medo persian world power gladly carried out this proverbial sayings on babylon.....

Ihedinobi my bro always remember that the word ""HELL"" is never a place of torment but mans common grave....the KJV's mistransliteratiÓn is what has been causing thi§ confusion over time....

I only asked who you thought was the subject of those two prophecies smiley Anyway, you said Babylon.

You know, if you guys stopped thinking for a minute that someone is trying to defeat you in an argument, you might actually start saying things that really make sense. The question was not a trap. It was meant to see what you really know about prophecies. For instance, for whom were the words in Ezekiel 28 about being full of wisdom and beauty etc etc meant? That would help me deal with Isaiah 34:9, 10 without ripping Scriptures apart.

Don't bother about teaching me, just provide simple answers and I'll do my best to understand you.

Edited for word correction.
Re: The Wrath Of God: Discussion About Hell - Strictly Christians Only by truthislight: 3:11pm On Oct 23, 2012
Paris_Love: I really don't have a stance whether hell here is symbolic or literal. Of course as a sinner that i am, I'd love to think hell is symbolic or does not exist. But, does the bible really support this view?

For does who think hell fire here means grave, death or something should please explain this verse

Mark:9:47 And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out: it is better for thee to enter into the kingdom of God withone eye, than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire:

48 Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.

of what use is the hand if you dont have to use it?

Jesus is figurative saying that you should deprived yourself the use of the eyes by not looking at that which will make you ofFend God and merit his eternal destruction as symbolise by fire, everlasting death
(note, Jesus can not use the word death since all man will eventually die the Adamic death, but this death is a death with God's rejection due to the use of the eyes for something displeasing to God)

so, he is saying instead of the use of the eyes, "cut" it off by turning your eyes away.

Fire is a symbol of complete destruction.

Eg, tearing paper and burning paper (burning = absolute destruction)

Samething with the use of the hands.
Peace
Re: The Wrath Of God: Discussion About Hell - Strictly Christians Only by ijawkid(m): 3:15pm On Oct 23, 2012
Ihedinobi:

I only asked who you thought was the subject of those two prophecies smiley Anyway, you said Babylon.

You know, if you guys stopped thinking for a minute that someone is trying to defeat you in an argument, you might actually start saying things that really make sense. The question was not a trap. It was meant to see what you really know about prophecies. For instance, for whom were the words in Ezekiel 28 about being full of wisdom and beauty etc etc meant? That would help me deal with Isaiah 34:9, 10 without ripping Scriptures apart.

Don't bother about teaching me, just provide simple answers and I'll do my best to understand you.

Edited for word correction.

Ok sorry my comrade....I"m loyal......

I just added those few details to just give an over view of that chapter......

We are both learning....thanks.....
Re: The Wrath Of God: Discussion About Hell - Strictly Christians Only by Nobody: 3:16pm On Oct 23, 2012
Mr_Anony: Hmmm,
I had a busy day yesterday and thankfully this thread hasn't degenerated yet and we have been able to keep the insults and sectarianism to a minimum. I might not be able to post much today cause I've got a mountain of stuff to take care of (I might just be able to sneak in this post this morning before running off).

I'll give this as sort of a summary answer to objections raised so far.

It breaks my heart to have brothers who look the scripture in the eye and deny it. Thankfully, we have gotten rid of the emotional argument of a loving cuddly teddybear kind of God who won't hurt a fly.

One thing with scripture is that scripture is one. It is either all of it makes sense or none of it does. The validity of a post is not based on how many verses the poster was able to spit out but on whether the post is in alignment with what the scripture is saying.
It is bad practice to argue based on "I have 3 verses while you have 2 therefore I win" That is an insult to scripture. Scripture must be as a whole.

When we argue about hell and we raise the parable of the rich man and lazarus, and also the parables Jesus always ends with the sinner being thrown into the outer darkness where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth. Some of us immediately write it off as if it being a parable somehow makes it less true. What is even more surprising is that these same people quote a psalm (a song) or a proverb (which can also be called a parable) in order to make their points. As if a psalm and proverb are somehow more literal.
When we talk about the book of Revelations or souls and spirits of men, they say oh it is a "vision" only to quote a prophecy (which is also a vision).

Please I beg us all, let us stop insulting the Word of God like this. If a verse of scripture seems to conflict with another verse, The aim should be reconciling them so as to understand them. Instead of discrediting their value and trying to make one verse "more correct" than another.

Another tactic which I find equally puzzling is when they ask "what is the rich man's name?", "where are adam and eve","did fire burn Jesus", "who will torment the devil" (even when the bible clearly says that he will be tormented forever)etc. As if these irrelevant questions somehow mean anything or make a narrative any less valid.

If we read something from the bible, we must learn to submit to it and accept it as true even if we don't like it.

A quote I particularly like is one from Lord Reed. I believe he put it best. And I noticed everyone seemed to avoid the question he asked there.

I'll ask the same question to all of us.

[size=13pt]
Even if it is "just a parable", Why would Jesus use false conditions to illustrate a truth?[/size]

This is a question we must ask ourselves instead of merely writing it off because it is a "parable".

The thing is that if you try hard enough, you can escape from the truth. The real question is: At what price?
I urge us all, let us seek the truth instead of trying to escape from it.

The aim of this discussion is not to break into camps and "try to win" but to find out the truth of what awaits a sinner after he has died.

@Ihedinobi:

My twin bro: Good to see you finally joined in. I have noted your comment and you know my heart. I will continue to pray and hope that these men see, I will continue to give a long rope until the Holy Spirit relieves me of the responsibility and then it is feet-dusting time. (You are like Paul and me like Barnabas...but let us not split over John Mark smiley)

Please ignore a certain someone who really isn't on this thread. Don't bother replying him.

Twin bro, I actually barely ever have the time to get on nl these days. Thankfully, the project has gotten big enough to eat up far more of my time than before what with all the research involved. So, I post only when I find the time and I have learned to use my resources better so you need not worry about me wasting God's trust to me answering certain sentiments. After all, I've been in the know for long enough that our alliance is very nerve-wracking for some interests. I don't intend to help them break it down.

I assure you there will not be any kind of split. We are as we should be. I really don't want you to become as hardhitting as myself, and while I totally appreciate your longsuffering, I am extremely conscious of the value of Christ and will quickly apprise anyone who names Him of that fact. We cannot split over that. If you were me, some people would probably never get into the Kingdom. If I were you, some people would probably never get through a day without spitting on Christ somehow. Together we make it possible for those who will be saved to be saved and for all who will know to know that Christ Jesus is God's All.

Don't let your heart be troubled. The thing does not exist that can destroy our communion.

1 Like

Re: The Wrath Of God: Discussion About Hell - Strictly Christians Only by Nobody: 3:18pm On Oct 23, 2012
ijawkid:

Ok sorry my comrade....I"m loyal......

I just added those few details to just give an over view of that chapter......

We are both learning....thanks.....

Ok then, I'll pick up the discussion later. Can't stay on right now. Hopefully, I'll go on to deal with it later tonight.
Re: The Wrath Of God: Discussion About Hell - Strictly Christians Only by truthislight: 3:22pm On Oct 23, 2012
cyrexx:

grin grin grin grin grin

this got me laughing in Aramaic and Koine Greek.

The posts of that certain someone will remain as a part of modicum of balance and sense on this thread whether you choose to ignore it or not and whether or not you like what he is saying

SUPPRESSION AND DENIAL of that someone's words is not the same as NEGATION AND REFUTATION that someonels words, especially when that someone explicitly states that he is just posting to air his views (and you cant tell him where to or where not to air his views; this is nairaland, not christianland) and he is not expecting responses that will distract or derail the thread.

there is no discrimination in christianity,

how can that be when you show this much interest?

Are you the only atheist on NL?
Where are the rest if they are like you?

God is the judge of the heart of man, what can man do to you? Nothing.
Re: The Wrath Of God: Discussion About Hell - Strictly Christians Only by LordReed(m): 3:25pm On Oct 23, 2012
cyrexx:

i hope you know that that statement was originally a spoken word by Jesus, not a written word. The comma was inserted later by scholars based on their understanding.
The comma could as well be placed elsewhere and the verse could equally have read like this
"I say unto you today, you shall be with me in paradise"

On what basis are you making that change? Where is the evidence?

ijawkid:

You didn't quote any scripture Jesus was conscious of his surrounding at death...or that he was somewhere else while still in the grave for 3 good days......

Did Jesus go to heaven the very day he made that promise to the robber??or did the robber go to heaven??

Here you go:

1 Peter 3
King James Version (KJV)
18 For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:

19 By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison;
Re: The Wrath Of God: Discussion About Hell - Strictly Christians Only by ijawkid(m): 3:33pm On Oct 23, 2012
Lord_Reed:

On what basis are you making that change? Where is the evidence?

Here you go:

Lol.....

So while in the grave Christ went to visit the spirits in prison??is that what you are saying??

If Christs spirit had already started roving about before his ressurection,then of what use was God ressurecting him again??

Why ressuect someone who doesn't need ressurection??

Chei I don die ooooo.............

1 Like

Re: The Wrath Of God: Discussion About Hell - Strictly Christians Only by truthislight: 3:53pm On Oct 23, 2012
DP
Re: The Wrath Of God: Discussion About Hell - Strictly Christians Only by truthislight: 3:54pm On Oct 23, 2012
Lord_Reed:

One thing is clear from scriptures that men are conscious after they die.

There is a holding place for the dead or Jesus would not have said "Today...".

O c'mon don't nitpick. Are you going to say you need scripture before I can say God is intelligent? This a universally held attribute that barely needs introduction into any topic. We would not even be having this discussion if we didn't accept it without reservation.

How can it be? Lets see.

Lord_Reed: One thing is clear from scriptures that men are conscious after they die.

^^^Thats a lie that actually supports satan's stance man will not die.

What story did the dead lazarus had to say on his resurrection? None

which he will have done had he been to heaven being Jesus friend as it were.

Why will Jesus have to bring him back from a glorious heavenly place?

Can you cite a scripture to support this your stance?

Lord_Reed: There is a holding place for the dead or Jesus would not have said "Today...".

error, you got it wrong.

Today means that the criminal should note that date, that he Jesus has promise him that he will be with him in paradise

as in note "today" the 23 of oct 2012, i am promising you, you will be with me in paradise.

How can he be with Jesus in paradise that same "day" when Jesus went back to heaven 40 days later?

How can he be with jesus in paradise when Jesus had promise his disciple that he will go and prepare a place for them first.

How can he be with Jesus in paradise that same day When Jesus was in the grave for three(3) days after then?

*sigh* you better start dong real bible study.
Lord_Reed:
O c'mon don't nitpick. Are you going to say you need scripture before I can say God is intelligent? This a universally held attribute that barely needs introduction into any topic. We would not even be having this discussion if we didn't accept it without reservation.

yes you are right, you have the knowledge that satan has been spreading befor God chose Israel and started teaching them and gave them the true knowledge.
Satan's knowledge, that is the knowledge that is available all over the place.

if you need the knowledge that is Truth you have to read God's word the bible well and trough away all others.

That is why you said the thief was with Jesus that same day

1 Like

Re: The Wrath Of God: Discussion About Hell - Strictly Christians Only by MrAnony1(m): 4:02pm On Oct 23, 2012
frosbel:

We are all busy mate, there is a word called multitasking , no ? grin
Lol, mine is more like procrastination.

Anony , remember what I said about context , truth and consistency ?

We MUST always compare scripture with scripture from the Old Testament to the New Testament.

You cannot and dare I say even allowed to form a doctrine from a parable in one chapter of the bible.

Quotation of the bible in context is key to verifying and understanding foundational truths.
I agree, but then in the same way, you MUST NOT and dare I say even allowed to discard one verse of scripture completely simply because it does not agree with you.

No one is denying HELL , certainly not me.

The crux of the matter is the nature of this place called HELL.

Is it a NOW thing or a LATER thing ?

Will the Judge of the earth not do right as Abraham lamented to GOD when he was about to destroy Sodom.

God is JUST and therefore he cannot sentence a prisoner before judgement, otherwise the judgement becomes irrelevant.

King James Bible (Cambridge Ed.)
For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things done in his body, according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad - 2 Corinthians 5:10
This is one of the reasons why I said that you were too quick to object to my original post that missed my stance entirely. My argument is simply this that Eternal torment is a definite. When we die, the next thing that awaits us is judgment. Either we resurrect to eternal torment or to eternal life. I don't necessarily hold the position that when a sinner dies he will be tormented only to resurrect face judgment and be tormented again. It will do you good to go and actually read my introductory post. Try to understand my position correctly first before kicking it.

To suggest that a criminal is punished before judgement is actually lying against GOD, even earthly judges will feel this is not appropriate. You only find this sort of thing in Nigeria where suspects languish behind bars in abject misery for years even before Judgement. And then we all fight against this injustice with the support of human rights groups etc. If we mortals can have this level of morality how much more GOD.
I get the point you are trying to make here but then I am careful not to define God based on what we expect for man.

My friend, God always does what is right, the guilty will not be acquitted and must face the punishment , but not before judgement.

Which is why we have the resurrection unto judgement and the great white throne judgement etc.

Remember that famous scripture that goes, "it is appointed to MAN to die once and after that judgement". This cannot mean an immediate judgement, this is talking about the same judgement as mentioned previously.

Therefore once we die , we sleep , totally void of consciousness or memory until the trumpet sounds and then and only then will we face Jesus on his judgement seat.

To try and twist this TRUTH is to exhibit a disrespect for God's WORD and logic.
Good, now the question is: What sort of condemnation does the sinner face? The lake of fire to be tormented forever or an annihilation were he disappears from existence?
(btw I don't totally agree with the highlighted but I won't dwell on it for now)

Indeed it is , because John was in a vision , so the bible says , and he received prophecy or revelation from Jesus who in turn received this from GOD.

Revelation is an unfolding of TRUTH .

"The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, to shew unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass; and he sent and signified it by his angel unto his servant John" - Revelation 1:1
No one is contesting that John was in a vision

Is this all you have left, a get out of jail free card which actually is simply a Parable ?

Common you can do better.

And this same devil you talk about is the same one that will be destroyed in Ezeiekel 28 , no ? I bet you won't even go there, any scripture that lights up the truth to debunk your myth will always be avoided by you , this is something I have noticed.
The question you are still avoiding is Even if it is "simply a parable", why would Jesus use false conditions to illustrate a truth?

You always talk about context, Now please let us do some contextual work. You and I know that the prophecy in Ezekiel 28 was directed at Tyre and Sidon. The references to Lucifer are metaphorical (interestingly, this time, no one is asking if the devil's name was mentioned here)
Notice also how Jesus talks about Tyre and Sidon in Matt 11:21. Ezekiel 28 was describing the destruction of a wicked city. In the book of Revelations, the devil is mentioned clearly and his fate is also clearly defined. Please don't overlook it in the desperate search for another verse to help you escape.

We are not fools who accept anything , just because Prophet Anony says it is true.

This is precisely why 85% of the church is in error.

We are called to careful study and meditate on the WORD of GOD , not some concocted blind FAITH.

God created logic and he gave us a brain to apply reason to logic , to suggest otherwise is to turn MAN into a robot who has not capacity to think, learn and make the right decisions.
Ad hominen. You know that your accusation isn't true. I have never asked anyone to accept a truth because just I say so. I will always point us to the bible. Also I have always said that faith is not blind. If your faith cannot stand the test of logic and reason (not emotion), then it is empty.

May I end this comment by saying that when you arrogantly prevent others from learning, though they may be Muslims or Atheists , you are actually a stumbling block to their salvation.
Says the "cast-not-pearls-to-swine man". You know very well that i am not against an unbeliever learning from this thread. I am however strongly against one trolling the thread. I'll take this as a friendly warning all the same (I might be showing arrogance without realizing it)
Re: The Wrath Of God: Discussion About Hell - Strictly Christians Only by MrAnony1(m): 4:04pm On Oct 23, 2012
Ihedinobi:

Twin bro, I actually barely ever have the time to get on nl these days. Thankfully, the project has gotten big enough to eat up far more of my time than before what with all the research involved. So, I post only when I find the time and I have learned to use my resources better so you need not worry about me wasting God's trust to me answering certain sentiments. After all, I've been in the know for long enough that our alliance is very nerve-wracking for some interests. I don't intend to help them break it down.

I assure you there will not be any kind of split. We are as we should be. I really don't want you to become as hardhitting as myself, and while I totally appreciate your longsuffering, I am extremely conscious of the value of Christ and will quickly apprise anyone who names Him of that fact. We cannot split over that. If you were me, some people would probably never get into the Kingdom. If I were you, some people would probably never get through a day without spitting on Christ somehow. Together we make it possible for those who will be saved to be saved and for all who will know to know that Christ Jesus is God's All.

Don't let your heart be troubled. The thing does not exist that can destroy our communion.
I love you, my brother.
Re: The Wrath Of God: Discussion About Hell - Strictly Christians Only by Nobody: 4:07pm On Oct 23, 2012
Mr_Anony:
I love you, my brother.
YOU DO KNOW THAT SCRIPTURE DO SAY IF A MAN SLEEP WITH MANKIND AS HE DO A WOMAN, HE SHALL BE PUT TO DEATH shocked grin
Re: The Wrath Of God: Discussion About Hell - Strictly Christians Only by LordReed(m): 4:09pm On Oct 23, 2012
ijawkid:

Lol.....

So while in the grave Christ went to visit the spirits in prison??is that what you are saying??

If Christs spirit had already started roving about before his ressurection,then of what use was God ressurecting him again??

You wanted scripture you got it now you contest it. The onus is on you to counter with scripture instead of just passing comment.

truthislight:

yes you are right, you have the knowledge that satan has been spreading befor God chose Israel and start teaching them and gave them the true knowledge.
Satan's knowledge, that is the knowledge that is available all over the place.

if you need the knowledge that is Truth you have to read God's word the bible well and trough away all others.

That is why you said the thief was with Jesus that same day

This is supposed to be a reasonable discussion, you do not need to start insinuating nonsense. Is God unintelligent? What is Satan's lie about saying God is intelligent?
Re: The Wrath Of God: Discussion About Hell - Strictly Christians Only by MrAnony1(m): 4:11pm On Oct 23, 2012
ijawkid:

Lol.....

Unfortunately, mockery does not count as a valid counter argument. How do you explain 1Peter 3:19?
Re: The Wrath Of God: Discussion About Hell - Strictly Christians Only by MrAnony1(m): 4:12pm On Oct 23, 2012
obadiah777: YOU DO KNOW THAT SCRIPTURE DO SAY IF A MAN SLEEP WITH MANKIND AS HE DO A WOMAN, HE SHALL BE PUT TO DEATH shocked grin
Lol, you need Jesus
Re: The Wrath Of God: Discussion About Hell - Strictly Christians Only by truthislight: 4:16pm On Oct 23, 2012
frosbel:

We are all busy mate, there is a word called multitasking , no ? grin

Anony , remember what I said about context , truth and consistency ?

We MUST always compare scripture with scripture from the Old Testament to the New Testament.

You cannot and dare I say even allowed to form a doctrine from a parable in one chapter of the bible.

Quotation of the bible in context is key to verifying and understanding foundational truths.

No one is denying HELL , certainly not me.

The crux of the matter is the nature of this place called HELL.

Is it a NOW thing or a LATER thing ?

Will the Judge of the earth not do right as Abraham lamented to GOD when he was about to destroy Sodom.

God is JUST and therefore he cannot sentence a prisoner before judgement, otherwise the judgement becomes irrelevant.

King James Bible (Cambridge Ed.)
For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things done in his body, according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad - 2 Corinthians 5:10

To suggest that a criminal is punished before judgement is actually lying against GOD, even earthly judges will feel this is not appropriate. You only find this sort of thing in Nigeria where suspects languish behind bars in abject misery for years even before Judgement. And then we all fight against this injustice with the support of human rights groups etc. If we mortals can have this level of morality how much more GOD.

My friend, God always does what is right, the guilty will not be acquitted and must face the punishment , but not before judgement.

Which is why we have the resurrection unto judgement and the great white throne judgement etc.

Remember that famous scripture that goes, "it is appointed to MAN to die once and after that judgement". This cannot mean an immediate judgement, this is talking about the same judgement as mentioned previously.

Therefore once we die , we sleep , totally void of consciousness or memory until the trumpet sounds and then and only then will we face Jesus on his judgement seat.

To try and twist this TRUTH is to exhibit a disrespect for God's WORD and logic.

Indeed it is , because John was in a vision , so the bible says , and he received prophecy or revelation from Jesus who in turn received this from GOD.

Revelation is an unfolding of TRUTH .

"The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, to shew unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass; and he sent and signified it by his angel unto his servant John" - Revelation 1:1

Actually , this is quite a dishonest statement, it is rather you and your twin brother who seem to have a knack for this increasing trend.

Is this all you have left, a get out of jail free card which actually is simply a Parable ?

Common you can do better.

And this same devil you talk about is the same one that will be destroyed in Ezeiekel 28 , no ? I bet you won't even go there, any scripture that lights up the truth to debunk your myth will always be avoided by you , this is something I have noticed.

We are not fools who accept anything , just because Prophet Anony says it is true.

This is precisely why 85% of the church is in error.

We are called to careful study and meditate on the WORD of GOD , not some concocted blind FAITH.

God created logic and he gave us a brain to apply reason to logic , to suggest otherwise is to turn MAN into a robot who has not capacity to think, learn and make the right decisions.

May I end this comment by saying that when you arrogantly prevent others from learning, though they may be Muslims or Atheists , you are actually a stumbling block to their salvation.

this reply to Anony got 5 likes up there, let me go back and make it 6 likes.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

Leke Adeboye: Politicians Become Strong Church Members When Election Is Near / RCCG 70th Annual Convention; Perfect Jubilee, August 8-14, 2022 / Jesus Christ Is The Saviour Of The World

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 188
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.