Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,416 members, 7,836,665 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 11:18 AM

The Wrath Of God: Discussion About Hell - Strictly Christians Only - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Wrath Of God: Discussion About Hell - Strictly Christians Only (16417 Views)

Is Hell Real? What The Bible Says About Hell / Why Has Preaching About Hell Reduced In Churches? / How I Got Born-again (Christians Only) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Wrath Of God: Discussion About Hell - Strictly Christians Only by Nobody: 11:29pm On Oct 22, 2012
[quote author=Lord_Reed]

Hell or what ever name you call it is not bogus. Contest it nature all you want but scripture says it exists and will be populated by those who God judges to be deserving of it.

Be a good bible student, judge nothing by emotion but TRUTH.

Show me in the bible from the OT to the NT (except of course your get out of jail free card in Luke 16 ) where a HELL exists today ?

Hell is simply the lake of fire and this is a future event.

I am beginning to worry that you guys do not take care to read your bible with discernment and a thorough analysis of scripture.

One thing we must credit God with certainly is intelligence. God knows what He is doing and is He created a prison for His enemies then there certainly is a strategic reason His master craft for such a creation.

Making points without scriptural backing is null and void in my opinion.

When you make you next comment be sure to back it up with the bible.

thanks
Re: The Wrath Of God: Discussion About Hell - Strictly Christians Only by ijawkid(m): 4:44am On Oct 23, 2012
Ihedinobi: ^^^ I don't care for running circles around Scriptures so I do not intend to interpret Isaiah 34:9,10. I would rather ask what you think of Isaiah 14:4-23. Who is the subject of that prophecy? Consider also Ezekiel 28:11-19 and answer the same question for me regarding it.

Edited.

I just went through isaiah 14...

And aLl it did was re-affirm the bibles stand on the fact that eternal death or everlasting destruction is what awaits persons or nations who don't obey God...

I would like to point out to you first that isaiah 14 was a ""proverbial saying"" against the ""babylonian dynasty.""..(isaiah 14:4-6)
The subject of that prophecy is ""BABYLON""....verse 4 transpicuously tells us that...

those expressions penned down through out this chapter are a symbol of what babylon will face and what it did Face....

Isaiah 14:7-8 shows how the kings of the nations round about were to babylons rulers,like trees to be cut down and used for their own purposes..well all of that is finished since the wood cutter(babylon) is soon to be destroyed....

So astonishing was babylons fall that even HELL reacts...
Mind you ihedinobi,HELL is sheol or hades, the coMmon grave of mankind,not a literal fiery place of torment...

This powerful poetic image depicts HELL(common grave of mankind) as waking up all those kings who preceded the babylonian dynasty into death so that they can greet the new comer..they mock the babylonian ruling power,which is now feeble,helpless and lying down on a bed of maggots...(Isaiah 14:9-11)...

This proverbial pronouncment coÑtinues in verse 12 as babylons kings A.K.A lucifer according to the KJV is cut down to the earth..babylon§ pomp and priÐe met its end...

Verses 15-17 shows the reversal that was in store for the proud babylonian dynasty..
The ambitious dynasty will come down to Hades(sheol) just like any human...

So ihedinobi I don't see how this chapter of isaiah supports your stance on the eternal fiery torment dogma...

Rather this chapter proverbially explains how the fall or destruction of the babylonian Dynasty would be.."" permanent and complete"".....it would be rooted out..there would be no renaissance of that dynasty....

Verses 21-23 tells us that...

21 Prepare slaughter for his children for the
iniquity of their fathers; that they do not rise,
nor possess the land, nor fill the face of the
world with cities.
22 For I will rise up against them, saith the
LORD of hosts, and cut off from Babylon the
name, and remnant, and son, and nephew, saith
the LORD.
23 I will also make it a possession for the
bittern, and pools of water: and I will sweep it
with the besom of ""destruction"", saith the
LORD of hosts.
(KJV)

Read verse 23 in particular....total destruction is what befell babylon,not some literal everlasting torment in a furnace...

The medo persian world power gladly carried out this proverbial sayings on babylon.....

Ihedinobi my bro always remember that the word ""HELL"" is never a place of torment but mans common grave....the KJV's mistransliteratiÓn is what has been causing thi§ confusion over time....

3 Likes

Re: The Wrath Of God: Discussion About Hell - Strictly Christians Only by Freksy(m): 5:04am On Oct 23, 2012
Ihedinobi: I really cannot add much to Lord Reed's, Image123's, Reyginius's and Mr Anony's intro, to mention the few believers I remember here represented. They fully capture my stand on the matter at hand. However, I will point out the following.

Man is, in a sense, eternal. The sense in which I mean is that he was a thought from eternity, an actuality in time and a perpetuation in eternity. He will continue to exist because he was made to. Sin only redirects his existence, it does not "delete" it. This is why the Salvation offered in Jesus Christ is such a big deal in the first instance. Man will go on either in actualizing all that he was created for or in failing utterly of it all, either way, he will continue to exist.

Now tell us, your position regarding death resulting from sin better fits which of the following two statements?

1. "But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil , thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die". - Gen. 2:17 KJV

God later shaded more light on Gen. 2:17 regarding death as follows:

"In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread , till thou return unto the ground ; for out of it wast thou taken : for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return". - Gen. 3:19 KJV

2. "And the serpent said unto the woman , Ye shall not surely die" - Gen. 3:4 KJV
Re: The Wrath Of God: Discussion About Hell - Strictly Christians Only by Freksy(m): 5:17am On Oct 23, 2012
Ihedinobi: I really cannot add much to Lord Reed's, Image123's, Reyginius's and Mr Anony's intro, to mention the few believers I remember here represented. They fully capture my stand on the matter at hand. However, I will point out the following.

Man as Man, I declare, was built to last. Why? Because he was created for dominion. He was created to be God's means of government over His whole creation. What we see in the beginning of Genesis is Man in potential, what follows is Man failing to reach full potential and essentially losing character. What we find finally in Revelation is Man, not only restored but in full actualization of his potentials. I have said this to point out that even though God knew that the entity called Man would be corrupted and therefore prepared beforehand to correct the anomaly when it happened, He still created Man to be Man.

6 And the LORD was sorry that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him to his heart.
7 So the LORD said, "I will blot out man whom I have created from the face of the ground, man and beast and creeping things and birds of the air, for I am sorry that I have made them." - Gen. 6:6,7 RSV

Ihedinobi, why would God feel sorry and be grieved over what He knew will happen? As "a good bible scholar", how would you explain that to the critics of God and Bible?

Falsehood is like a stone thrown into a pond, it generates a ripple, the ripple generates another - they keep multiplying and expanding - - - - ->
Re: The Wrath Of God: Discussion About Hell - Strictly Christians Only by cyrexx: 5:23am On Oct 23, 2012
Ihedinobi:

Twin bro, I get this tendency to civility, but I would rather you do not condone evil especially when it is evident in them who claim Christ. It will probably portray you as intolerant but it does pay to be on the Lord's side regardless who is on the other.

The antecedents of truthislight's crew is completely in agreement with what he said: they use Scriptures to refute Scriptures. He may have not meant to say that, or he may have but it is in fact what they do and why I do not hide the fact that I cannot tolerate their arguments. My first experience of such foolishness was with frosbel who would throw Scriptures at you when you questioned any position he held that appeared to contradict a particular Scripture. I warned him then that it is antichrist to pit Scriptures against themselves. Then I saw the liberality with which truthislight dispensed such wickedness.

True, there is a great deal that we do not know, especially what goes on in the heart of a man. But we may see what a man does and deal with him accordingly. These "brethren" hold no respect for the Bible and probably never will. Do not ever excuse them, I beg you, that you may not be taken in their snare. If they change, we will rejoice in the blessing of added brethren. But until they do, I beg you, cease from reckoning with them as brethren. It will only have you standing contrary to Christ in the most subtle ways.

What is the meaning of this?

You "forcefully" attach yourself as a twin to someone much more intelligent than you so as to feel you are "wiser" than you are, then you admonish him to ostracize himself from christians from other brand of christianity. If he has been acting like you are telling him to do now, do you think he would have gained all the respects he had from all types of christians and even non-christians?

What do you call someone who thinks he is right and everybody else is wrong and they must all listen to him and change to his point of view - a proud shortsighted bigot with a streamlined point of view who does not deserve recognition except from people in his tiny little group.

I'm just advicing you and i have zero interest in any back and forth with you especially with your mentality. But somebody needs to tell you this truth to your face that when you look down on other people, you lose all credibility, respect and audience appeal. This is basically empty pride (cos you really got nothing special) and it breeds more enemies and disrespect for yourself.

A word should be enough (not further-back-and-forth), i.e. if you are truly wise.

Everybody, enjoy your discussion and pls stay focused.

Peace

1 Like

Re: The Wrath Of God: Discussion About Hell - Strictly Christians Only by MrAnony1(m): 7:21am On Oct 23, 2012
Hmmm,
I had a busy day yesterday and thankfully this thread hasn't degenerated yet and we have been able to keep the insults and sectarianism to a minimum. I might not be able to post much today cause I've got a mountain of stuff to take care of (I might just be able to sneak in this post this morning before running off).

I'll give this as sort of a summary answer to objections raised so far.

It breaks my heart to have brothers who look the scripture in the eye and deny it. Thankfully, we have gotten rid of the emotional argument of a loving cuddly teddybear kind of God who won't hurt a fly.

One thing with scripture is that scripture is one. It is either all of it makes sense or none of it does. The validity of a post is not based on how many verses the poster was able to spit out but on whether the post is in alignment with what the scripture is saying.
It is bad practice to argue based on "I have 3 verses while you have 2 therefore I win" That is an insult to scripture. Scripture must be as a whole.

When we argue about hell and we raise the parable of the rich man and lazarus, and also the parables Jesus always ends with the sinner being thrown into the outer darkness where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth. Some of us immediately write it off as if it being a parable somehow makes it less true. What is even more surprising is that these same people quote a psalm (a song) or a proverb (which can also be called a parable) in order to make their points. As if a psalm and proverb are somehow more literal.
When we talk about the book of Revelations or souls and spirits of men, they say oh it is a "vision" only to quote a prophecy (which is also a vision).

Please I beg us all, let us stop insulting the Word of God like this. If a verse of scripture seems to conflict with another verse, The aim should be reconciling them so as to understand them. Instead of discrediting their value and trying to make one verse "more correct" than another.

Another tactic which I find equally puzzling is when they ask "what is the rich man's name?", "where are adam and eve","did fire burn Jesus", "who will torment the devil" (even when the bible clearly says that he will be tormented forever)etc. As if these irrelevant questions somehow mean anything or make a narrative any less valid.

If we read something from the bible, we must learn to submit to it and accept it as true even if we don't like it.

A quote I particularly like is one from Lord Reed. I believe he put it best. And I noticed everyone seemed to avoid the question he asked there.

Lord_Reed:

I don't need to pick and choose. The burning bush episode is just to illustrate that spiritually phenomenon do not always follow the rules of their physical analogues.

What was the name of the man Jesus healed of leprosy or the one He cast demons out of or the Samaritan woman? That names are not given do not make a narrative less real. However no other parables names a protagonist. Even if it was just a parable why would Jesus use false conditions to illustrate a truth something He never does.

Hell or what ever name you call it is not bogus. Contest its nature all you want but scripture says it exists and will be populated by those who God judges to be deserving of it.

I'll ask the same question to all of us.

[size=13pt]
Even if it is "just a parable", Why would Jesus use false conditions to illustrate a truth?[/size]

This is a question we must ask ourselves instead of merely writing it off because it is a "parable".

The thing is that if you try hard enough, you can escape from the truth. The real question is: At what price?
I urge us all, let us seek the truth instead of trying to escape from it.

The aim of this discussion is not to break into camps and "try to win" but to find out the truth of what awaits a sinner after he has died.

@Ihedinobi:

My twin bro: Good to see you finally joined in. I have noted your comment and you know my heart. I will continue to pray and hope that these men see, I will continue to give a long rope until the Holy Spirit relieves me of the responsibility and then it is feet-dusting time. (You are like Paul and me like Barnabas...but let us not split over John Mark smiley)

Please ignore a certain someone who really isn't on this thread. Don't bother replying him.
Re: The Wrath Of God: Discussion About Hell - Strictly Christians Only by ParisLove1: 7:42am On Oct 23, 2012
I really don't have a stance whether hell here is symbolic or literal. Of course as a sinner that i am, I'd love to think hell is symbolic or does not exist. But, does the bible really support this view?

For does who think hell fire here means grave, death or something should please explain this verse

Mark:9:47 And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out: it is better for thee to enter into the kingdom of God withone eye, than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire:

48 Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.
Re: The Wrath Of God: Discussion About Hell - Strictly Christians Only by cyrexx: 8:08am On Oct 23, 2012
(You are like Paul and me like Barnabas...but let us not split over John Mark smiley)

Please ignore a certain someone who really isn't on this thread. Don't bother replying him.

grin grin grin grin grin

this got me laughing in Aramaic and Koine Greek.

The posts of that certain someone will remain as a part of modicum of balance and sense on this thread whether you choose to ignore it or not and whether or not you like what he is saying

SUPPRESSION AND DENIAL of that someone's words is not the same as NEGATION AND REFUTATION that someonels words, especially when that someone explicitly states that he is just posting to air his views (and you cant tell him where to or where not to air his views; this is nairaland, not christianland) and he is not expecting responses that will distract or derail the thread.
Re: The Wrath Of God: Discussion About Hell - Strictly Christians Only by Nobody: 8:39am On Oct 23, 2012
Remember we made you our moderator.
Dont troll.
(to the certain someone)
Re: The Wrath Of God: Discussion About Hell - Strictly Christians Only by cyrexx: 8:43am On Oct 23, 2012
Reyginus: Remember we made you our moderator.
Dont troll.
(to the certain someone)

Okay, sir

Enjoy your discussion, while the certain someone sits back, relax and observe the thread as it progresses.

Cheers
Re: The Wrath Of God: Discussion About Hell - Strictly Christians Only by LordReed(m): 9:22am On Oct 23, 2012
frosbel: Be a good bible student, judge nothing by emotion but TRUTH.

Show me in the bible from the OT to the NT (except of course your get out of jail free card in Luke 16 ) where a HELL exists today ?

Hell is simply the lake of fire and this is a future event.

I am beginning to worry that you guys do not take care to read your bible with discernment and a thorough analysis of scripture.

One thing is clear from scriptures that men are conscious after they die.
Luke 23:43
And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, Today shalt thou be with me in paradise.
Jonah 2
King James Version (KJV)
Then Jonah prayed unto the Lord his God out of the fish's belly,

2 And said, I cried by reason of mine affliction unto the Lord, and he heard me; out of the belly of hell cried I, and thou heardest my voice.

3 For thou hadst cast me into the deep, in the midst of the seas; and the floods compassed me about: all thy billows and thy waves passed over me.

5 The waters compassed me about, even to the soul: the depth closed me round about, the weeds were wrapped about my head.

6 I went down to the bottoms of the mountains; the earth with her bars was about me for ever: yet hast thou brought up my life from corruption, O Lord my God.

There is a holding place for the dead or Jesus would not have said "Today...".

Making points without scriptural backing is null and void in my opinion.

When you make you next comment be sure to back it up with the bible.

thanks

O c'mon don't nitpick. Are you going to say you need scripture before I can say God is intelligent? This a universally held attribute that barely needs introduction into any topic. We would not even be having this discussion if we didn't accept it without reservation.
Re: The Wrath Of God: Discussion About Hell - Strictly Christians Only by ijawkid(m): 9:33am On Oct 23, 2012
Lord_Reed:

Was Jesus conscious of his surrounding or existed somewhere else for the 3days he was in HELL before his ressurection??......

Kindly answer with scriptures...

I believe what happened to Jesus before his ressurection should help us make the right conclusions...

Because for you to say ""One thing is clear from scriptures that men are conscious after they die"" is a hoax........
Re: The Wrath Of God: Discussion About Hell - Strictly Christians Only by Nobody: 9:45am On Oct 23, 2012
Mr_Anony: Hmmm,
I had a busy day yesterday and thankfully this thread hasn't degenerated yet and we have been able to keep the insults and sectarianism to a minimum. I might not be able to post much today cause I've got a mountain of stuff to take care of (I might just be able to sneak in this post this morning before running off).

We are all busy mate, there is a word called multitasking , no ? grin

One thing with scripture is that scripture is one. It is either all of it makes sense or none of it does. The validity of a post is not based on how many verses the poster was able to spit out but on whether the post is in alignment with what the scripture is saying.
It is bad practice to argue based on "I have 3 verses while you have 2 therefore I win" That is an insult to scripture. Scripture must be as a whole.

Anony , remember what I said about context , truth and consistency ?

We MUST always compare scripture with scripture from the Old Testament to the New Testament.

You cannot and dare I say even allowed to form a doctrine from a parable in one chapter of the bible.

Quotation of the bible in context is key to verifying and understanding foundational truths.

When we argue about hell and we raise the parable of the rich man and lazarus, and also the parables Jesus always ends with the sinner being thrown into the outer darkness where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth. Some of us immediately write it off as if it being a parable somehow makes it less true. What is even more surprising is that these same people quote a psalm (a song) or a proverb (which can also be called a parable) in order to make their points.

No one is denying HELL , certainly not me.

The crux of the matter is the nature of this place called HELL.

Is it a NOW thing or a LATER thing ?

Will the Judge of the earth not do right as Abraham lamented to GOD when he was about to destroy Sodom.

God is JUST and therefore he cannot sentence a prisoner before judgement, otherwise the judgement becomes irrelevant.

King James Bible (Cambridge Ed.)
For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things done in his body, according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad - 2 Corinthians 5:10

To suggest that a criminal is punished before judgement is actually lying against GOD, even earthly judges will feel this is not appropriate. You only find this sort of thing in Nigeria where suspects languish behind bars in abject misery for years even before Judgement. And then we all fight against this injustice with the support of human rights groups etc. If we mortals can have this level of morality how much more GOD.

My friend, God always does what is right, the guilty will not be acquitted and must face the punishment , but not before judgement.

Which is why we have the resurrection unto judgement and the great white throne judgement etc.

Remember that famous scripture that goes, "it is appointed to MAN to die once and after that judgement". This cannot mean an immediate judgement, this is talking about the same judgement as mentioned previously.

Therefore once we die , we sleep , totally void of consciousness or memory until the trumpet sounds and then and only then will we face Jesus on his judgement seat.

To try and twist this TRUTH is to exhibit a disrespect for God's WORD and logic.

When we talk about the book of Revelations or souls and spirits of men, they say oh it is a "vision" only to quote a prophecy (which is also a vision).

Indeed it is , because John was in a vision , so the bible says , and he received prophecy or revelation from Jesus who in turn received this from GOD.

Revelation is an unfolding of TRUTH .

"The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, to shew unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass; and he sent and signified it by his angel unto his servant John" - Revelation 1:1

Please I beg us all, let us stop insulting the Word of God like this. If a verse of scripture seems to conflict with another verse, The aim should be reconciling them so as to understand them. Instead of discrediting their value and trying to make one verse "more correct" than another.

Actually , this is quite a dishonest statement, it is rather you and your twin brother who seem to have a knack for this increasing trend.

Another tactic which I find equally puzzling is when they ask "what is the rich man's name?", "where are adam and eve","did fire burn Jesus", "who will torment the devil" (even when the bible clearly says that he will be tormented forever)etc. As if these irrelevant questions somehow mean anything or make a narrative any less valid.

Is this all you have left, a get out of jail free card which actually is simply a Parable ?

Common you can do better.

And this same devil you talk about is the same one that will be destroyed in Ezeiekel 28 , no ? I bet you won't even go there, any scripture that lights up the truth to debunk your myth will always be avoided by you , this is something I have noticed.

If we read something from the bible, we must learn to submit to it and accept it as true even if we don't like it.

We are not fools who accept anything , just because Prophet Anony says it is true.

This is precisely why 85% of the church is in error.

We are called to careful study and meditate on the WORD of GOD , not some concocted blind FAITH.

God created logic and he gave us a brain to apply reason to logic , to suggest otherwise is to turn MAN into a robot who has not capacity to think, learn and make the right decisions.

May I end this comment by saying that when you arrogantly prevent others from learning, though they may be Muslims or Atheists , you are actually a stumbling block to their salvation.

6 Likes

Re: The Wrath Of God: Discussion About Hell - Strictly Christians Only by Nobody: 9:51am On Oct 23, 2012
[quote author=Lord_Reed]

Can you kindly show me scriptural backing to this position.

Can you show me ONE , only ONE verse in the OT or NT , with exception of your get out of jail free card in Luke 16 , that validates your claim
Re: The Wrath Of God: Discussion About Hell - Strictly Christians Only by truthislight: 10:26am On Oct 23, 2012
CrazyMan:
I gave a passage luke 16:24...it proved that the dead was actually kept in a hilding place pending the final punishment.

theology!!!

Imagine building a whole theology on a pareble?

For a plan of such a magnitude should the true not have done better?

Or it is the theology that has no leg to stand but is grasping on straws?
Re: The Wrath Of God: Discussion About Hell - Strictly Christians Only by Ubenedictus(m): 10:40am On Oct 23, 2012
Mr_Anony: The wrath of God is a part of Christianity you don't hear much anymore these days. What I want to do on this thread is to have a discussion on the the nature of God, God's wrath and leading on eventually to a discussion about the nature of Hell.

This thread is in fulfillment of a promise i made to here: https://www.nairaland.com/1068988/god-truly-god-justice-then/1#12555017

I want us to have a really serious discussion and not some haphazard nonsense so I'll set some ground rules here:

The Rules/Guidelines

I would like to invite all Christians accepting that the bible is our final authority on this matter. If the bible is not your final authority, please don't bother commenting.

Also we will choose 2 translations alone as the only ones acceptable in this discussion. This is to avoid the practice of "translation jumping" and in the process focusing on the letter at the expense of the Spirit.

Everyone who wishes to participate must start with a declaration that the bible is his/her final authority and then nominate one translation of scripture that may be used. At the end of the day, the top two voted translations will be the official ones for this discourse.

If you are an atheist or anything other than a christian and the bible does not have the final say for you, Your opinion is not needed here. If you comment, you will be ignored. I want to respectfully ask you to please stay away. There are a number of other threads on this forum that we can play in. Not this one.

The discussion proper will start tomorrow after we have agreed on the bible translations to use and the boundaries of our discussion. For now, let those interested in partaking declare their interest and suggest a bible translation.

does a spirit have emotions?
Re: The Wrath Of God: Discussion About Hell - Strictly Christians Only by ijawkid(m): 10:49am On Oct 23, 2012
Mr_Anony:

It breaks my heart to have brothers who look the scripture in the eye and deny it. Thankfully, we have gotten rid of the emotional argument of a loving cuddly teddybear kind of God who won't hurt a fly.

You and your twin bro are doing exactly that...I just showed ihedinobi a replica of the scripture he quoted to support his stance to help him see the real meanings of bible truths..but you guys turned a blind eye to it...

Mr_Anony:

One thing you should know is that the more the verses the better...because the bible should be our final authority like you earlier said......if you claim or hold on to your position that billions of persons would be burning eternally in HELL fire,then you'll have to agree that nations like EDOM,babylon,sodom and gomorrah are still burning till this moment....the bible has to agree....

Mr_Anony:
When we argue about hell and we raise the parable of the rich man and lazarus, and also the parables Jesus always ends with the sinner being thrown into the outer darkness where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth. Some of us immediately write it off as if it being a parable somehow makes it less true. What is even more surprising is that these same people quote a psalm (a song) or a proverb (which can also be called a parable) in order to make their points. As if a psalm and proverb are somehow more literal.

That is why they shouldn't be taken literally....rather should be applied symbolically.....

Revelation,isaiahs prophecy all speak the same thing....the lake of fire,fire containing sulphur and brim stone all connotes everlasting and complete destruction....

Mr_Anony:

Those questions are actually very pertinent to verify if really the HELL fire is a literal place or a symbol of total destruction or death........if you try to runaway from those questions then you aint sincere.....
Re: The Wrath Of God: Discussion About Hell - Strictly Christians Only by LordReed(m): 10:50am On Oct 23, 2012
frosbel: Can you kindly show me scriptural backing to this position.

Can you show me ONE , only ONE verse in the OT or NT , with exception of your get out of jail free card in Luke 16 , that validates your claim
ijawkid:

Was Jesus conscious of his surrounding or existed somewhere else for the 3days he was in HELL before his ressurection??......

Kindly answer with scriptures...

I believe what happened to Jesus before his ressurection should help us make the right conclusions...

Because for you to say ""One thing is clear from scriptures that men are conscious after they die"" is a hoax........

I already quoted a scripture for you:

Luke 23:43
And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, Today shalt thou be with me in paradise.

Is Jesus talking of Heaven? Why does He say "Today....."? If there is no consciousness after death why would time and place be important?
Re: The Wrath Of God: Discussion About Hell - Strictly Christians Only by cyrexx: 10:53am On Oct 23, 2012
Ubenedictus: does a spirit have emotions?

Good question.

Another important question is what exactly does the word "spirit" mean?

And what does the authors of the bible mean when they use the word "spirit"?
Re: The Wrath Of God: Discussion About Hell - Strictly Christians Only by Nobody: 11:00am On Oct 23, 2012
Lord_Reed:

Is Jesus talking of Heaven? Why does He say "Today....."? If there is no consciousness after death why would time and place be important?

What happened when Jesus died, did he go to paradise that same day ?
Re: The Wrath Of God: Discussion About Hell - Strictly Christians Only by cyrexx: 11:01am On Oct 23, 2012
Lord_Reed:

i hope you know that that statement was originally a spoken word by Jesus, not a written word. The comma was inserted later by scholars based on their understanding.
The comma could as well be placed elsewhere and the verse could equally have read like this
"I say unto you today, you shall be with me in paradise"

3 Likes

Re: The Wrath Of God: Discussion About Hell - Strictly Christians Only by truthislight: 11:04am On Oct 23, 2012
DP
Re: The Wrath Of God: Discussion About Hell - Strictly Christians Only by ijawkid(m): 11:11am On Oct 23, 2012
Lord_Reed:

You didn't quote any scripture Jesus was conscious of his surrounding at death...or that he was somewhere else while still in the grave for 3 good days......

Did Jesus go to heaven the very day he made that promise to the robber??or did the robber go to heaven??
Re: The Wrath Of God: Discussion About Hell - Strictly Christians Only by CrazyMan(m): 11:11am On Oct 23, 2012
truthislight: theology!!!

Imagine building a whole theology on a pareble?

For a plan of such a magnitude should the true not have done better?

Or it is the theology that has no leg to stand but is grasping on straws?
It was a parable Jesus gave...you asked me to prove it, I gave you the passage where I found it...what else do you seek for?
Re: The Wrath Of God: Discussion About Hell - Strictly Christians Only by ijawkid(m): 11:13am On Oct 23, 2012
cyrexx:

i hope you know that that statement was originally a spoken word by Jesus, not a written word. The comma was inserted later by scholars based on their understanding.
The comma could as well be placed elsewhere and the verse could equally have read like this
"I say unto you today, you shall be with me in paradise"

Cyrexx you are a very good bible student.....

I go buy you 1 carton of beer......:-)
Re: The Wrath Of God: Discussion About Hell - Strictly Christians Only by cyrexx: 11:26am On Oct 23, 2012
ijawkid:

Cyrexx you are a very good bible student.....

I go buy you 1 carton of beer......:-)

grin grin

LOL

so where can collect it, make we jollificate?

1 Like

Re: The Wrath Of God: Discussion About Hell - Strictly Christians Only by ijawkid(m): 11:45am On Oct 23, 2012
cyrexx:

grin grin

LOL

so where can collect it, make we jollificate?

If you dey the niger delta zone I go locate you come......lol.....
Re: The Wrath Of God: Discussion About Hell - Strictly Christians Only by truthislight: 11:47am On Oct 23, 2012
obadiah777: your spirit is a part of you. the question was 'is there a part of you that will exist apart from your body after you die '. the body does not exist alone. so the spirit is a part of you that will exist after you die.

i thought it was written that "the spirit goes back to its owner"

now it is your property

Why not give it to another person since it is yours?

That is if you can?

Who ever had a property that cannot use it the way he wants?

Is that not why God is the source of our lives?
Re: The Wrath Of God: Discussion About Hell - Strictly Christians Only by Truthabounds: 11:51am On Oct 23, 2012
Paris_Love: I really don't have a stance whether hell here is symbolic or literal. Of course as a sinner that i am, I'd love to think hell is symbolic or does not exist. But, does the bible really support this view?

For does who think hell fire here means grave, death or something should please explain this verse

Mark:9:47 And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out: it is better for thee to enter into the kingdom of God withone eye, than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire:

48 Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.

Hell: A word used in the King James Version (as well as in the Catholic Douay Version and most older translations) to translate the Hebrew sheʼohl′ and the Greek hai′des. In the King James Version the word “hell” is rendered from sheʼohl′ 31 times and from hai′des 10 times. This version is not consistent, however, since sheʼohl′ is also translated 31 times “grave” and 3 times “pit.” In the Douay Version sheʼohl′ is rendered “hell” 64 times, “pit” once, and “death” once.
Concerning this use of “hell” to translate these original words from the Hebrew and Greek, Vine’s Expository Dictionary of Old and New Testament Words (1981, Vol. 2, p. 187) says: “HADES . . . It corresponds to ‘Sheol’ in the O.T. [Old Testament]. In the A.V. of the O.T. [Old Testament] and N.T. [New Testament], it has been unhappily rendered ‘Hell.’”
From my study of the Bible I have come to the conclusion that Hell is not a literal burning fire of torment, but it is only the common grave of mankind to which we all go. Even Jesus himself went into hades (sheol).
The doctrine that hell is a place of torment is not based on the Bible. Rather, it is a pagan belief masquerading as a Christian teaching.

4 Likes

Re: The Wrath Of God: Discussion About Hell - Strictly Christians Only by cyrexx: 11:52am On Oct 23, 2012
ijawkid:
If you dey the niger delta zone I go locate you come......lol.....

Too bad. Cos i am far away in one of the big cities in the southwestern zone of Nigeria. But notwithstanding, we can still manage to do some e-jollification.
cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Cheers, bro
Re: The Wrath Of God: Discussion About Hell - Strictly Christians Only by truthislight: 11:57am On Oct 23, 2012
Antivirus92: poor you! The catholic doctrine is based on the bible. Let me tell you, you people are like pharisees of the old. You follow the bible strictly and you fail to understand that the bible is for man and not man for bible. You ignoramus should know that the scripture is flexible and not as rigid as you make it to look. If the scripture is rigid then mary magdalene should have been stoned to death according to the scripture. The catholic doctrine is based 90% on the bible. Do you know how many years it takes the vatican council(bible philosophers) to make out a single doctrine?
^^^
thank you.

Meanwhile, stay on the topic,

peace
Re: The Wrath Of God: Discussion About Hell - Strictly Christians Only by ijawkid(m): 11:59am On Oct 23, 2012
cyrexx:

Too bad. Cos i am far away in one of the big cities in the southwestern zone of Nigeria. But notwithstanding, we can still manage to do some e-jollification.
cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Cheers, bro

E-jollification??lmao.....

Don't worry...we'll drink some rum eeeeeely....lol....

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

Clothing And The Believer In A 'Modern World' / Why Christianity Is Wrong / Death Is Proof That A Higher Power (god) Exists

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 147
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.