Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,405 members, 7,836,634 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 10:48 AM

Jonathan Asks If Violence A Sign Of ‘end Times’ - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan Asks If Violence A Sign Of ‘end Times’ (14223 Views)

I Am One Of Those Who Believed That Islam Is Not A Religion If Violence But? / Jonathan Asks Governors To Sign Death Warrants Of Condemned Criminals / What To Do If Violence Breaks Out In A Campaign Rally (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jonathan Asks If Violence A Sign Of ‘end Times’ by awodman: 9:44pm On Jan 01, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:
I can see the HATERS are feasting on this thread and having a swell time. It is very unfortunate that all the HATERS do these days is jump from pillar to post, hunting for any piece of negative or perceived negative report, and if they find any, they settle there and feast on it.
I agree the president erred by saying such in public but that does not mean the statement is wrong. I am a Christian and I believe that the "end times" will come. An important sign of the "end times" is upsurge in violence world wide. However, the doctrine of "end times" means nothing to non-christians. Perhaps the president got carried away thinking his speech will not get out of the four walls of the church. Perhaps the president has been visiting churches too frequently these days. But who will blame Mr president? Being a christian, he can only take solace in the church considering the unprecedented boko haram onslaught. I think it is very proper for Mr president to seek spiritual help to complement the physical efforts (JTF and co) in crushing boko haram, which is the biggest but man-made challenge confronting Nigeria now. But no one is under any illusion that the ungodly will understand these things.
I can also see some persons trying to build political capital or erect a mansion on this issue. All such intent will be NULL and VOID. Elections are not won on the basis of statements or mis-firing. If elections were won on the basis of speech, then the PDP candidate in the last Ondo election would have won, someone like Buhari would not be able to muster more than 10 votes in any election, and perhaps Shekarau would have won the 2011 elections. The real action is on ground.
In conclusion, I admit the president erred in making such statement in public but to err is human and the president is not some supernatural, all-knowing person that is mistake proof. At times, mistakes are made at the spurr of the moment.
I must also add that no one can say conclusively that Mr president actually said those things(no video confirmation)
Bros U̶̲̥̅̊ always make my day...doff of my heart ƒσя some1 who realy puts tins d way they aя̩̥̊ε̲̣̣̣̥..aptly said
Re: Jonathan Asks If Violence A Sign Of ‘end Times’ by DaLover(m): 9:46pm On Jan 01, 2013
elliottibanga: Jonathan, ever since the subsidy removal fiasco, has had bad public relations with the average Nigerian. The fact that he would rather put the brunt of corruption reform on the very poor and helpless instead of the corrupt politicians and co, has made him one of Nigeria's most disliked Head of state.

His daily statements have not helped either. If ever there was a president who critically needed public speaking lectures, Jonathan would be that president.

The way forward is simple my dear presido. Talk less, Think and act more! Let your positive actions do your talking for you.

....in other words stop talking like a du.mba$$. You're making us look bad.

Look, I don't understand your reasoning, itsnt it simple logic that, no subsidy no opportunity for corruption?
Again why are you entitled to pay less than market price for Pms? Are u disabled? A destitute or what?
Re: Jonathan Asks If Violence A Sign Of ‘end Times’ by DaLover(m): 9:48pm On Jan 01, 2013
ballabriggs: [s][/s]

Rubbish again.

If you decide to continue exposing your ignorance. Feel free
Re: Jonathan Asks If Violence A Sign Of ‘end Times’ by DaLover(m): 9:50pm On Jan 01, 2013
Jerie:

This is the reason why the strong do not mix with the weak, the rich with the poor, the smart with the stupid. The lack of ideas of Clueless Jona has so rubbed off on you that you are now conjuring up imaginary excuses for his abject failure. If the Commander-in-Chief of my countyr's Armed Forces can't defend me, who can? I stage a peaceful protest against hike in fuel price and he sends soldiers after me. BH kill soldiers on monday and GEJ negotiates wt BH on tuesday. On wednesday, he tells the soldiers to go after BH.
Lesson learnt: don't let GEJ's stupidity rub-off on you, you're too intelligent for that.

After IRA killed a lot of civilians and military people...guess what, they reached a negotiated settlement with the British government..
Re: Jonathan Asks If Violence A Sign Of ‘end Times’ by nagoma(m): 10:08pm On Jan 01, 2013
I used to think PhD holders were intellectuals outstanding in their fields and having( independently ) contributed knowledge to humanity would also be trusted and capable leaders. GEJ has changed all that. My BA is much better than many PhD's -certainly that of the former customs officer and zoology teacher Jona.
Re: Jonathan Asks If Violence A Sign Of ‘end Times’ by Truckpusher(m): 10:16pm On Jan 01, 2013
YOU'RE BRAGGING WITH A BA?...WTF...HOW OLD ARE YOU?
nagoma: I used to think PhD holders were intellectuals outstanding in their fields and having( independently ) contributed knowledge to humanity would also be trusted and capable leaders. GEJ has changed all that. My BA is much better than many PhD's -certainly that of the former customs officer and zoology teacher Jona.
Re: Jonathan Asks If Violence A Sign Of ‘end Times’ by DaLover(m): 10:24pm On Jan 01, 2013
nagoma: I used to think PhD holders were intellectuals outstanding in their fields and having( independently ) contributed knowledge to humanity would also be trusted and capable leaders. GEJ has changed all that. My BA is much better than many PhD's -certainly that of the former customs officer and zoology teacher Jona.

What's the relationship btw phd and politics?
What's the relationship btw intellectualism and leadership?

Where you thought any special course on politics and leadership in ur BA?
Re: Jonathan Asks If Violence A Sign Of ‘end Times’ by nagoma(m): 10:30pm On Jan 01, 2013
DaLover:

I was taught to spell correctly . What do you mean by " thought" in your post?
Re: Jonathan Asks If Violence A Sign Of ‘end Times’ by ballabriggs: 10:34pm On Jan 01, 2013
[s]
DaLover:

[/s]

Rubbish!!! A PhD is a leader. A true Phd possesses research skills, analytic skills and problem-solving skills. These are important attributes of leadership and I do not expect a dunce like you to know this.

Those who know ask the important question, "how did Jona get his PhD?", it is a shame on our education system.
Re: Jonathan Asks If Violence A Sign Of ‘end Times’ by awodman: 10:42pm On Jan 01, 2013
Eziachi:
I saw it in the American ABC News, good enough for your defence?
Sincerenigeria asked did ABC news report independently or quoted same AFP..thanks
Re: Jonathan Asks If Violence A Sign Of ‘end Times’ by Revolva(m): 10:50pm On Jan 01, 2013
Bleep up I believe in america now the cowboy president will be the laughing stock now !!!again he has no foresight na end time be him ideas now !!nothin to think about only end time because he has a weak perspective
Re: Jonathan Asks If Violence A Sign Of ‘end Times’ by Nobody: 10:52pm On Jan 01, 2013
awodman:
Bros U̶̲̥̅̊ always make my day...doff of my heart ƒσя some1 who realy puts tins d way they aя̩̥̊ε̲̣̣̣̥..aptly said
Thank you my brother.
Re: Jonathan Asks If Violence A Sign Of ‘end Times’ by DaLover(m): 10:54pm On Jan 01, 2013
ballabriggs: [s][/s]

Rubbish!!! A PhD is a leader. A true Phd possesses research skills, analytic skills and problem-solving skills. These are important attributes of leadership and I do not expect a dunce like you to know this.

Those who know ask the important question, "how did Jona get his PhD?", it is a shame on our education system.

A good auto mechanic should Also be able to research, analyse and resolve problems..auto problems...hence would make a good president abi....
Only a dunce like you would tie leadership skills to academics or a profession...ode!

How many world leaders are phd holders....I don't know where dunce Nigerians like you get this warpped relationship btw phd and leadership
Re: Jonathan Asks If Violence A Sign Of ‘end Times’ by Jerie(m): 10:56pm On Jan 01, 2013
DaLover:

After IRA killed a lot of civilians and military people...guess what, they reached a negotiated settlement with the British government..
The way Shagari's government 'negotiated' with the Maitasine sect?
Re: Jonathan Asks If Violence A Sign Of ‘end Times’ by DaLover(m): 11:01pm On Jan 01, 2013
Jerie:
The way Shagari's government 'negotiated' with the Maitasine sect?

I advise you read what sincere 9gerian wrote about handling an insurgence and its delicate nature
Re: Jonathan Asks If Violence A Sign Of ‘end Times’ by ballabriggs: 11:03pm On Jan 01, 2013
DaLover:

A good auto mechanic should Alo be able to research, analyse and resolve problems...hence would make a good president abi....
Only a dunce like you would tie leadership skills to academics or a profession...ode!

And so an auto mechanic cannot be a leader in your own rotten brain.

A PhD researches at a very high level not gutter level and the skills which he gains in the course of his research is an important attribute of leadership.
Re: Jonathan Asks If Violence A Sign Of ‘end Times’ by earthgreeners(m): 11:08pm On Jan 01, 2013
DaLover: I advise you read what sincere 9gerian wrote about handling an insurgence and its delicate nature

Why are u always refering to silly 9gerian's post?, is he superior to you at the laptop arena?

Id.iot, you can't even construct simple sentences
Re: Jonathan Asks If Violence A Sign Of ‘end Times’ by ballabriggs: 11:08pm On Jan 01, 2013
DaLover:

How many world leaders are phd holders....I don't know where dunce Nigerians like you get this warpped relationship btw phd and leadership

Not all leaders are PhD's but all genuine PhD's (not the Goodluck Jonadunce type) are leaders. The skills they gain in the course of their research are important characteristics of leadership.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Asks If Violence A Sign Of ‘end Times’ by earthgreeners(m): 11:14pm On Jan 01, 2013
DaLover: Where you thought any special course on politics and leadership in ur BA?

GBAGAUN!!!!

Who is the human resources manager at the laptop arena?, This guy is not qualified.....
Re: Jonathan Asks If Violence A Sign Of ‘end Times’ by Jerie(m): 11:17pm On Jan 01, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:
This is an insurgency. It is a battle within, not nation vs nation war. If you'r not a child you would know that insurgencies(especially the types coloured with religion) are very delicate and complex situations that if not properly handled may split the Nigerian military into 2 camps and plunge the country into another civil war or balkanise the country. Insurgencies all over the world are very difficult to curtail and often takes decades to resolve simply because the enemies are within with significant part of the country sympathetic to the course of the insurgents
Oga, terrorism does not attempt to challenge government forces directly, but acts to change perceptions as to the effectiveness or legitimacy of the government itself.
This is done by ensuring the widest possible
knowledge of the acts of terrorist violence among the
target audience. Rarely will terrorists attempt to
"control" terrain, as it ties them to identifiable locations
and reduces their mobility and security. Terrorists as a
rule avoid direct confrontations with government
forces. A guerilla force may have something to gain
from a clash with a government combat force, such as
proving that they can effectively challenge the
military effectiveness of the government. A terrorist
group has nothing to gain from such a clash. This is not
to say that they do not target military or security
forces, but that they will not engage in anything
resembling a "fair fight", or even a "fight" at all.
Terrorists use methods that neutralize the strengths of
conventional forces Bombings and mortar attacks on
civilian targets where military or security personnel
spend off-duty time, ambushes of undefended
convoys, and assassinations of poorly protected
individuals are common tactics.
Insurgency need not require the targeting of non-
combatants, although many insurgencies expand the
accepted legal definition of combatants to include
police and security personnel in addition to the
military. Terrorists do not discriminate between
combatants and non-combatants, or if they do, they
broaden the category of "combatants" so much as to
render it meaningless. Defining all members of a
nation or ethnic group, plus any citizen of any nation
that supports that nation as "combatants" is simply a
justification for frightfulness. Deliberate de-
humanization and criminalization of the enemy in the
terrorists' mind justifies extreme measures against
anyone identified as hostile. Terrorists often expand
their groups of acceptable targets, and conduct
operations against new targets without any warning
or notice of hostilities.
Ultimately, the difference between insurgency and
terrorism comes down to the intent of the actor.
Insurgency movements and guerilla forces can adhere
to international norms regarding the law of war in
achieving their goals, but terrorists are by definition
conducting crimes under both civil and military legal
codes. Terrorists routinely claim that were they to
adhere to any "law of war" or accept any constraints
on the scope of their violence, it would place them at a
disadvantage vis-à-vis the establishment. Since the
nature of the terrorist mindset is absolutist, their goals
are of paramount importance, and any limitations on a
terrorist's means to prosecute the struggle are
unacceptable.
Re: Jonathan Asks If Violence A Sign Of ‘end Times’ by Truckpusher(m): 11:50pm On Jan 01, 2013
TALKING ABT HUMAN RESOURCES IN YOUR IMAGINARY 40 MAN LAPTOP ARENA SMACKS OF ABSOLUTE STUPI/DITY AND INEXPERIENCE OF THE HIGHEST ORDER ON HOW ORGANIZATIONS LIKE THE ONE YOU KEEP HALLUCINATING ABT RUN THEIR SHOWS LITTLE WONDER YOU AND YOUR LITTLE FRIES KEEP RAINING ABUSES WITHOUT FORESIGHT....YOU'RE A STAMPED EEDIOT.
earthgreeners:

GBAGAUN!!!!

Who is the human resources manager at the laptop arena?, This guy is not qualified.....
Re: Jonathan Asks If Violence A Sign Of ‘end Times’ by Truckpusher(m): 11:56pm On Jan 01, 2013
I just read thru ur post quIet ImpressIve .I really do thInk that the govt. should check you out because you sound lIke a man that has the potentIal to commIt terror acts.
Jerie:
Oga, terrorism does not attempt to challenge government forces directly, but acts to change perceptions as to the effectiveness or legitimacy of the government itself.
This is done by ensuring the widest possible
knowledge of the acts of terrorist violence among the
target audience. Rarely will terrorists attempt to
"control" terrain, as it ties them to identifiable locations
and reduces their mobility and security. Terrorists as a
rule avoid direct confrontations with government
forces. A guerilla force may have something to gain
from a clash with a government combat force, such as
proving that they can effectively challenge the
military effectiveness of the government. A terrorist
group has nothing to gain from such a clash. This is not
to say that they do not target military or security
forces, but that they will not engage in anything
resembling a "fair fight", or even a "fight" at all.
Terrorists use methods that neutralize the strengths of
conventional forces Bombings and mortar attacks on
civilian targets where military or security personnel
spend off-duty time, ambushes of undefended
convoys, and assassinations of poorly protected
individuals are common tactics.
Insurgency need not require the targeting of non-
combatants, although many insurgencies expand the
accepted legal definition of combatants to include
police and security personnel in addition to the
military. Terrorists do not discriminate between
combatants and non-combatants, or if they do, they
broaden the category of "combatants" so much as to
render it meaningless. Defining all members of a
nation or ethnic group, plus any citizen of any nation
that supports that nation as "combatants" is simply a
justification for frightfulness. Deliberate de-
humanization and criminalization of the enemy in the
terrorists' mind justifies extreme measures against
anyone identified as hostile. Terrorists often expand
their groups of acceptable targets, and conduct
operations against new targets without any warning
or notice of hostilities.
Ultimately, the difference between insurgency and
terrorism comes down to the intent of the actor.
Insurgency movements and guerilla forces can adhere
to international norms regarding the law of war in
achieving their goals, but terrorists are by definition
conducting crimes under both civil and military legal
codes. Terrorists routinely claim that were they to
adhere to any "law of war" or accept any constraints
on the scope of their violence, it would place them at a
disadvantage vis-à-vis the establishment. Since the
nature of the terrorist mindset is absolutist, their goals
are of paramount importance, and any limitations on a
terrorist's means to prosecute the struggle are
unacceptable.
Re: Jonathan Asks If Violence A Sign Of ‘end Times’ by Demdem(m): 12:03am On Jan 02, 2013
Truckpusher: YOU'VE NOT SAID ANYTHING REASONABLE. Between you and gej I know no who yab pass,

Fool, then why do u have to quote me?
Go suck the retardeens dicck
Re: Jonathan Asks If Violence A Sign Of ‘end Times’ by DaLover(m): 12:10am On Jan 02, 2013
ballabriggs:

Not all leaders are PhD's but all genuine PhD's (not the Goodluck Jonadunce type) are leaders. The skills they gain in the course of their research are important characteristics of leadership.

The truth is very few world leaders, past and present with PhDs, there is no proven relationship. Stop deceiving yourself.
Except your phd is in the social sciences....nothing in a phd course prepare you for managing people, resources etc...
Re: Jonathan Asks If Violence A Sign Of ‘end Times’ by DaLover(m): 12:11am On Jan 02, 2013
earthgreeners:

GBAGAUN!!!!

Mr. Mouth, so what training did you receive in your under grad to prepared you for political leadership?
Re: Jonathan Asks If Violence A Sign Of ‘end Times’ by Demdem(m): 12:21am On Jan 02, 2013
Truckpusher: ......AND THE ULTIMATE FOOL JUST REPLIED AFTER HOW MANY HOURS ...I NO BLAME YOU SHA! ALARM DEY HOLD YOU SERIOUSLY AND IF NOT FOR CHINA YOU WOULD BE A DEAD MAN ..... OYA GO SUCK YOUR MOM'S PUZSY.small yeye COINTshocked shocked shocked shocked shocked 8 shocked

Fool, what does ur mum's rotten kunt has to do with the retardeens foolish words which is the main crux of this thread
Feel free to open another thread and raise the rotten kunt issue.
Re: Jonathan Asks If Violence A Sign Of ‘end Times’ by nagoma(m): 1:39am On Jan 02, 2013
DaLover:

The truth....nothing in a phd course prepare you for managing people, resources etc...

Your thesis may not be true but one is compelled to accept it when one looks at our Dear President - how Pathetic!
Re: Jonathan Asks If Violence A Sign Of ‘end Times’ by Jerie(m): 3:39am On Jan 02, 2013
DaLover:

I advise you read what sincere 9gerian wrote about handling an insurgence and its delicate nature
And I advise you, sincere-Nigerian, GEJ and everyone making excuses for his blunders to read my post on terrorism and insurgence. If you do not know the difference, you don't speak at the table of men.
Re: Jonathan Asks If Violence A Sign Of ‘end Times’ by Jerie(m): 3:44am On Jan 02, 2013
Truckpusher: I just read thru ur post quIet ImpressIve .I really do thInk that the govt. should check you out because you sound lIke a man that has the potentIal to commIt terror acts.
Yesterday, I allowed you advertise your stupidity all over the forum. However, if you make the mistake of insulting me, I promise to teach you a lesson today. Be my guest.
Re: Jonathan Asks If Violence A Sign Of ‘end Times’ by Meristem: 7:40am On Jan 02, 2013
chosen04: ABUJA (AFP) – President Goodluck Jonathan has questioned whether deadly Islamist attacks on churches in his country and other violence worldwide could be signs of coming “end times”.

Jonathan, speaking after 15 Christians had their throats slit last week in the country’s northeast, also suggested Islamist extremist group Boko Haram aimed to take over the Nigerian capital Abuja, but vowed the group would be defeated.

During comments Sunday in which he mentioned attacks on churches in Nigeria, Syria’s war and the situation in the Central African Republic, where rebels have pushed their way across the impoverished country, Jonathan spoke of the Biblical end times.

“I was just wondering, could this be a clear way of telling us that the end times are so close?” he told the church congregation, according to a recording of his remarks heard by AFP.

Some Christians believe in the idea of chaos in connection with the second coming of Jesus Christ, commonly referred to as the “end times”. Such beliefs are based on passages in the New Testament’s Book of Revelation.

Jonathan was speaking at an evangelical Christian church service in the capital. The church belongs to the EYN denomination, common among Christians in the violence-torn northeast, where Boko Haram is based.

Local media quoted the church pastor as saying 109 EYN members have been killed and 50 branches burnt.

Violence linked to Boko Haram’s insurgency in northern and central Nigeria has left some 3,000 people dead since 2009, including killings by the security forces.

Muslims and symbols of Nigerian authority have often been their targets, but the group has also specifically targeted Christians, including suicide bombings of churches.

This Christmas season has however been notably less bloody than in 2011, when scores were killed in attacks on churches and other locations.

Jonathan has previously accused Boko Haram of seeking to destabilise the government and incite a religious crisis in Nigeria, Africa’s most populous nation, roughly divided between a mainly Muslim north and predominately Christian south.

On Sunday, while speaking of the rebels in the Central African Republic, Jonathan said: “They were quite close to taking over the capital city, just as Boko Haram is taking over Abuja for me and those working in government to run and hide somewhere else.

He vowed however that Boko Haram would not succeed and that the violence would be brought under control.

“If the idea of Boko Haram is to stop Nigerians from worshipping God, they will not succeed,” he said.

“If the idea of Boko Haram is to stop government from providing the dividends of democracy, they will not succeed…. God willing and with our commitment, the excesses of Boko Haram and other criminal organisations will be brought to a reasonable control.”

Jonathan spokesman Reuben Abati did not respond to a phone call to further explain the president’s comments.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/12/jonathan-asks-if-violence-a-sign-of-end-times/

This man is a simpleton, a misfit and sorry...this is 2013! I should rather pray for him!!!
Re: Jonathan Asks If Violence A Sign Of ‘end Times’ by Gbawe: 8:05am On Jan 02, 2013
Meristem:

This man is a simpleton, a misfit and sorry...this is 2013! I should rather pray for him!!!

This is the bottom line. Those holding brief for GEJ are also equally weak-minded because they simply have no appreciation of what obtains elsewhere, as a minimum standard , in this day and age. Yet we are talking about the biggest black nation on earth that should ordinarily and automatically display an intelligent, charismatic and analytical solutions-provider as an inspirational example of what a black African can be and can achieve. It is not rocket science. if processes are correct, not warped and as purist as obtains worldwide then our President , even as we know he is flesh and blood, would reflect this by having special qualities that justifies why he is the apex leader of the largest number of black folks on earth.

Yet we are never ashamed that instead we get a very, very,very mediocre man, with very poor skills that makes one doubt his purported training. Many of us cannot even respect him because of his bumbling ineptitude that is so elementary one would not expect to find a child displaying such!!! Yet we have unambitious, bigoted and politically gauche cretins always compelled to make excuses for what serious nations, with politically sophisticated folks, would unanimously turn their backs on as a gross failing of leadership.

I pity Nigeria with how it is a nation intrinsically contrived to keep itself down. We even see it here on Nairaland with how some cursed folks argue on behalf of what would not be entertained elsewhere and would compel all citizens , whatever their leanings, to unanimously say in unison "enough is enough".

Our is a nation that may yet fail because of one consideration. Many have not learnt and are not interested in learning to put their nation first. Allegiance, overwhelmingly and inflexibly, is to "brothers", ethnic group, religion, geo-political zone, region etc, etc. It is what brainwashes many to defend what must not be defended to the extent of the crazy talk we witness here I never see citizens of other Nations guilty of.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Obasanjo Made Four Mistakes In Office – El-rufai / Amaechi, Jang, Others Attend Jonathan’s Dinner / ''Area Boys'' Listed Among Notorious Gangs In The World

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.