Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,136 members, 7,814,974 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:15 AM

Place all your difficult questions for Nairaland atheists here - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Place all your difficult questions for Nairaland atheists here (12704 Views)

Nairaland Atheists, Let's Rebrand. / Ways Christians evade Difficult Questions From Others. / Understanding Atheism. Nairaland atheists C'mon! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Place all your difficult questions for Nairaland atheists here by Nobody: 6:54pm On Jan 16, 2013

Big brother: A model of neanderthal man, which rose to prominence about 130,000 years and was far more robust that modern man

[size=14pt]Your ancestors , BTW[/size]
Re: Place all your difficult questions for Nairaland atheists here by Nobody: 7:40pm On Jan 16, 2013
frosbel:

Having conquered Everest and landed on the Moon, it is tempting to think we are bigger and better than our ancestors.
But on a purely physical basis, it seems, we just don’t measure up. Mankind is actually shrinking.
Cambridge University experts say humans are past their peak and that modern-day people are 10 per cent smaller and shorter than their hunter-gatherer ancestors.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2002684/Were-getting-smaller-brains-shrinking--farming-blame.html#ixzz2IA6QIIDx
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

grin

Dumbazz I am not comparing human and their nearthandal ancestors but humans against humans.

Knights of the early centuries to people of the 21st century. We are getting bigger in body size but with smaller jaws.

For better religious understanding...comparing people in Jesus's time to people of now......biblical to now
Re: Place all your difficult questions for Nairaland atheists here by Nobody: 7:40pm On Jan 16, 2013
Frosbel, jys give up.......you are zombie that wont die. I keep debunking you and yokep coming back with strawmen and half baked retorts
Re: Place all your difficult questions for Nairaland atheists here by Nobody: 7:41pm On Jan 16, 2013
frosbel:
Big brother: A model of neanderthal man, which rose to prominence about 130,000 years and was far more robust that modern man

Does this guy look like a knight in armour? Gaddem stoopid!

Logicboy03: This is serious.

People laughing at their own ignorance.

Frosbel, you live in the UK, you can go to the museums and look at the armours that the warriors were supposed to wear. Very small, and would fit an average 16 year old.

You can also go to your dentist and get him to explain why our wisdom teeth are giving us problems while many dont even grow wisdom teeth.

Examples of microevolution in humans
Funny how people laugh at their own ignorance.
Re: Place all your difficult questions for Nairaland atheists here by Nobody: 7:44pm On Jan 16, 2013
[quote author=Logicboy03]

Dumbazz I am not comparing human and their nearthandal ancestors but humans against humans.

So which is it, are we evolving into smaller or bigger frames, it cannot be both.

Which one is it ?

Logicboy03 I really feel for you , it must be confusing trying to defend the indefensible !

Knights of the early centuries to people of the 21st century. We are getting bigger in body size but with smaller jaws.

so it's only the Knights who are evolving, lol. grin

what's that school you went to again ?

BTW , mind your language before I say that thing you hate !
Re: Place all your difficult questions for Nairaland atheists here by Nobody: 7:59pm On Jan 16, 2013
frosbel:

so it's only the Knights who are evolving, lol.

what's that school you went to again ?

Re: Place all your difficult questions for Nairaland atheists here by Nobody: 8:02pm On Jan 16, 2013
Logicboy03:

the cartoon actually shows the state you are in , you need a break , honestly grin
Re: Place all your difficult questions for Nairaland atheists here by Nobody: 8:05pm On Jan 16, 2013
frosbel:
So which is it, are we evolving into smaller or bigger frames, it cannot be both.

Which one is it ?

Logicboy03 I really feel for you , it must be confusing trying to defend the indefensible !

Lol....bigger

[size=18pt]Why are we getting taller as a species?
[/size]
For most people, contemporary buildings do not prompt similar claustrophobic concerns. The reason for this difference, as many people have correctly guessed, is that modern humans are taller than those from the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries. In fact, over the last 150 years the average height of people in industrialized nations has increased approximately 10 centimeters (about four inches).

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=why-are-we-getting-taller
Re: Place all your difficult questions for Nairaland atheists here by Chedarking: 8:14pm On Jan 16, 2013
Logicboy03:

Lol....bigger

I have now come to the conclusion that.....

Should I even talk sef?

....natural selection, the process whereby differences in reproductive success account for changes in the traits of a population, does not explain why we are taller.

If evolution doesn't explain height increases, what does? Most geneticists believe that the improvement in childhood nutrition has been the most important factor in allowing humans to increase so dramatically in stature.

From your OWN link...

SMH
Re: Place all your difficult questions for Nairaland atheists here by plaetton: 8:32pm On Jan 16, 2013
frosbel:

This is very interesting , and shocking too.
So Frosbel actually believes that Neanderthals existed?
Wow!
So tell me Frosbel, did neanderthal man exist before or after Adam and Eve.

Pls answer this question. Don't run away again.
Re: Place all your difficult questions for Nairaland atheists here by plaetton: 8:37pm On Jan 16, 2013
Chedarking:

I have now come to the conclusion that.....

Should I even talk sef?

From your OWN link...

SMH

I think its great folly to criticize something simply because you dont understand it.
If have any understanding of the mechanisms and processes of evolution, you would have known that even a change in diet, as you have posted above, can be a catalyst for a gradual and slow changes in an organism or species. And these changes can, over time, lead to new traits would enhance the survivability or the eventual doom of the species.
Re: Place all your difficult questions for Nairaland atheists here by Chedarking: 9:00pm On Jan 16, 2013
plaetton:

I think its great folly to criticize something simply because you dont understand it.
If have any understanding of the mechanisms and processes of evolution, you would have known that even a change in diet, as you have posted above, can be a catalyst for a gradual and slow changes in an organism or species. And these changes can, over time, lead to new traits would enhance the survivability or the eventual doom of the species.

Don't do that my man...

illogicalboy says we are EVOLVING into bigger specimens here:

Logicboy03:
We are getting bigger in body size but with smaller jaws.

here:
Logicboy03: This
Frosbel, you live in the UK, you can go to the museums and look at the armours that the warriors were supposed to wear. Very small, and would fit an average 16 year old.
Examples of microevolution in humans
Funny how people laugh at their own ignorance.

and here:

Logicboy03:
Lol....bigger

he then scours google for a link to back up his claim, reads the first 3 lines of a promising article posts this:
Why are we getting taller as a species?

For most people, contemporary buildings do not prompt similar claustrophobic concerns. The reason for this difference, as many people have correctly guessed, is that modern humans are taller than those from the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries. In fact, over the last 150 years the average height of people in industrialized nations has increased approximately 10 centimeters (about four inches)

Not realizing that the same article says this:
natural selection, the process whereby differences in reproductive success account for changes in the traits of a population, does not explain why we are taller.

If evolution doesn't explain height increases, what does? Most geneticists believe that the improvement in childhood nutrition has been the most important factor in allowing humans to increase so dramatically in stature.

and this:
First, the observed increase in height has not been continuous since the dawn of man; it began sometime around the middle of the nineteenth century. In fact, examinations of skeletons show no significant differences in height from the stone age through the early 1800s.
Also, during World Wars I and II, when hunger was a frequent companion of the German civilian population, the heights of the children actually declined. They only recovered during the post-war years.

and THIS: grin
Second, the trend toward increasing height has largely leveled off, suggesting that there is an upper limit to height beyond which our genes are not equipped to take us, regardless of environmental improvement

These guys are saying it CATEGORICALLY....

EVOLUTION IS NOT MAKING YOU TALLER...

One statement caught my eye though...
Chronic underfeeding during childhood, however, permanently affects stature and other traits, including intelligence.

grin grin grin

That explains A LOT...

3 Likes

Re: Place all your difficult questions for Nairaland atheists here by Nobody: 9:09pm On Jan 16, 2013
plaetton:

Thank you bros
Re: Place all your difficult questions for Nairaland atheists here by plaetton: 9:13pm On Jan 16, 2013
Chedarking:

Don't do that my man...

here:

and here:

he then scours google for a link to back up his claim, reads the first 3 lines of a promising article posts this:

and this:

grin grin grin

That explains A LOT...

Well considering that since the austerity measures of the Shagari and Buhari regimes of the early 80s, underfeeding has become a permanent part of the life of the average Nigerian.
Can we infer that that is perhaps the reason that there is a dearth of intelligence in the land and for explosion of religious fervour over the decades?
Hhhmmmm!
Something to to consider.
Re: Place all your difficult questions for Nairaland atheists here by Chedarking: 9:25pm On Jan 16, 2013
plaetton:

Well considering that since the austerity measures of the Shagari and Buhari regimes of the early 80s, underfeeding has become a permanent part of the life of the average Nigerian.
Can we infer that that is perhaps the reason that there is a dearth of intelligence in the land and for explosion of religious fervour over the decades?
Hhhmmmm!
Something to to consider.

Agreed...

Hunger has forced the Average Nigerian to look to God for respite...

Religious leaders keep preaching that God rewards the most pious...

So the average Nigerian is willing to give anything including human life to prove his piousness...

Hunger is a bastard...
Re: Place all your difficult questions for Nairaland atheists here by Nobody: 9:30pm On Jan 16, 2013
Chedarking:

Don't do that my man...

here:

and here:

and this:

grin grin grin

That explains A LOT...

lol....you are the one being desperate.

Even different diets are responsible for Evolution (adaptation to different environment). What the article was saying was that humans were not getting taller by natural selection alone but by different diets.

Remember the article doesnt say diets alone but that diets are the major factors.

Now the evolution of fruit flies can be seen with diet in their speciation

[img]http://evolution.berkeley.edu/evosite/evo101/images/drosophila_experiment.gif[/img]
Re: Place all your difficult questions for Nairaland atheists here by Nobody: 9:32pm On Jan 16, 2013
If evolution is not making you taller...does that mean everyone with good diet will become tall?

No, it is a mixture of many factors including diets. Natural selection is only one mechanism for evolution. There is also adaptation.
Re: Place all your difficult questions for Nairaland atheists here by 2good(m): 9:34pm On Jan 16, 2013
frosbel: I start with mine :

1. Using logic, reason and scientific evidence, kindly trace back to the beginning , the origin of MAN.

2. In your own words, describe how you think human reproductive organs evolved into what it is today

3. If we came from monkeys , how come we still have monkeys around today

Thanks,

Atheism is different from evolution theory. Not every Atheist have absolute believe in evolution. Just want to clarify that so ask more reasonable questions next time
Re: Place all your difficult questions for Nairaland atheists here by plaetton: 9:44pm On Jan 16, 2013
Chedarking:

Agreed...

Hunger has forced the Average Nigerian to look to God for respite...

Religious leaders keep preaching that God rewards the most pious...

So the average Nigerian is willing to give anything including human life to prove his piousness...

Hunger is a bastard...

He he. Glad that we can agree on something.
Re: Place all your difficult questions for Nairaland atheists here by Chedarking: 9:45pm On Jan 16, 2013
Logicboy03:

Even different diets are responsible for Evolution (adaptation to different environment). What the article was saying was that humans were not getting taller by natural selection alone but by different diets.

Remember the article doesnt say diets alone but that diets are the major factors.

You Lie

It's so funny how Atheists do a lot of the very thing they accuse theists of doing - LIE

The article goes to great lengths to prove that DIET not EVOLUTION is the reason we are growing tall:

Are we evolving to greater heights, vertically speaking?

Before answering these questions, we need to remember that evolution requires two things: variation in physical and/or behavioral traits among the individuals in a population; and a way of selecting some of those traits as adaptations, or advantages to reproduction.

For example, finches that have large, powerful beaks also have an advantage cracking large, tough seeds during periods when small, soft seeds are scarce. As a consequence, large-beaked birds are more likely to eat better, survive longer and reproduce than small-beaked birds. Because beak shape is an inherited trait (one that is substantially influenced by genes), more successful reproduction by large beaked birds means that the genes predisposing finches to large beaks are transmitted to the next generation in relatively larger numbers than those genes encoding small beaks. Thus, the population of finches in the next generation will tend to have larger beaks than finches in their parent's generation.

Let's use this basic operating principle of evolution to predict, retrospectively, the direction of change in human height if evolution were the cause of the change. We know from studies conducted in industrial England that children born into lower socioeconomic classes were shorter, on average, than children born into wealthy families. We also know that poorer families had larger numbers of children.

Given those initial conditions, what would evolution predict? [size=28pt]The average population should have become shorter because the shorter individuals in the population were, from an evolutionary fitness perspective, more successful in passing on their genes. But this did not happen. Instead, all segments of the population--rich and poor, from small and large families--increased in height. Thus, natural selection, the process whereby differences in reproductive success account for changes in the traits of a population, does not explain why we are taller.
[/size]

I'm all for intellectual discourse BUT

You make an assertion, ignorantly post a link to back up your claims, and then realize you've shot yourself in the foot....

How can I take you SERIOUSLY?
Re: Place all your difficult questions for Nairaland atheists here by Chedarking: 9:48pm On Jan 16, 2013
plaetton:

He he. Glad that we can agree on something.

Mate,I'm more agnostic than I am Christian...

A lot of the Christian doctrine don't make sense to me...

I hate most of the same things you hate about religion...lol

I just choose to believe in Jesus Christ...
Re: Place all your difficult questions for Nairaland atheists here by Nobody: 9:51pm On Jan 16, 2013
Chedarking:

You Lie

It's so funny how Atheists do a lot of the very thing they accuse theists of doing - LIE

The article goes to great lengths to prove that DIET not EVOLUTION is the reason we are growing tall:

I'm all for intellectual discourse BUT

You make an assertion, ignorantly post a link to back up your claims, and then realize you've shot yourself in the foot....

How can I take you SERIOUSLY?

You people cant read. You just see what you want to see. Just like how people selectively read the bible and say that the bible is against slavery.

The article talks about evolution from a natural selection mechanism (fitness) and says that is not the reason. Majaze and I explain that a change diets/nutirition over time can lead to evolutionary changes.

Read the quote again;

"The average population should have become shorter because the shorter individuals in the population were, from an evolutionary fitness perspective, more successful in passing on their genes. But this did not happen. Instead, all segments of the population--rich and poor, from small and large families--increased in height. Thus, natural selection, the process whereby differences in reproductive success account for changes in the traits of a population, does not explain why we are taller. "

Re: Place all your difficult questions for Nairaland atheists here by mantraa: 9:53pm On Jan 16, 2013
Take look at this short video about evolution very well explained by a 15 year old girl.

Onision:Evolution is racist!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrAQpUAfgW8

If she can understand it, so can you. She has also provided some good links that explain it in more depth.

Hopefully you will understand why the simple question "if we evolved from monkeys, why are there still monkeys?" Is the same as asking "if all humans evolved from Africa, why are there still Africans?" Or if all dogs evolved from wolves, why are there still wolves.

Watch the video then let us know what you think
Re: Place all your difficult questions for Nairaland atheists here by plaetton: 9:54pm On Jan 16, 2013
@Chedarking:
Considering that you and Frosbel have post these scientific articles to boost your own side of the argument, it would seem that you both agree that the human species as a whole is capable of undergoing changes, whether taller or shorter. Right?

If you agree so, why would you both consider evolution , a gradual change from one species to another, as improbable?

Have you not considered that perhaps god designed living organisms to evolve towards perfection, in the same way that religious doctrine is said to be specially designed by god to evolve our souls towards perfection?
Re: Place all your difficult questions for Nairaland atheists here by Nobody: 9:55pm On Jan 16, 2013
mantraa: Take look at this short video about evolution very well explained by a 15 year old girl.

If she can understand it, so can you. She has also provided some good links that explain it in more depth.

Hopefully you will understand why the simple question "if we evolved from monkeys, why are there still monkeys?" Is the same as asking "if all humans evolved from Africa, why are there still Africans?" Or if all dogs evolved from wolves, why are there still wolves.

Bless you
Re: Place all your difficult questions for Nairaland atheists here by Chedarking: 10:00pm On Jan 16, 2013
Logicboy03:

You people cant read. You just see what you want to see. Just like how people selectively read the bible and say that the bible is against slavery.

The article talks about evolution from a natural selection mechanism (fitness) and says that is not the reason. Majaze and I explain that a change diets/nutirition over time can lead to evolutionary changes.

Read the quote again;

Wow...Are you just being OBTUSE?

Or do you suffer from dyslexia?

What is your point?

You asserted that we are growing taller as evidence for evolution.

Your backing article says otherwise...

You say:

Majaze and I explain that a change diets/nutirition over time can lead to evolutionary changes.

Your article says:
the trend toward increasing height has largely leveled off, suggesting that there is an upper limit to height beyond which our genes are not equipped to take us

DUDE!

What is wrong with you man? grin
Re: Place all your difficult questions for Nairaland atheists here by Nobody: 10:03pm On Jan 16, 2013
Chedarking:

Wow...Are you just being OBTUSE?

Or do you suffer from dyslexia?

What is your point?

You asserted that we are growing taller as evidence for evolution.

Your backing article says otherwise...

You say:

Your article says:

DUDE!

What is wrong with you man? grin

lol....I know you are dull but, how you couldnt see that evolutionary change is the hieght?
Re: Place all your difficult questions for Nairaland atheists here by Nobody: 10:06pm On Jan 16, 2013
the trend toward increasing height has largely leveled off, suggesting that there is an upper limit to height beyond which our genes are not equipped to take us

And this quote means that evolution has nothing to do with height or what?

I am still waiting for you and Frosbel to address the smaller Jaws that you are quietly ignoring to misinterpret the article on being taller
Re: Place all your difficult questions for Nairaland atheists here by Chedarking: 10:20pm On Jan 16, 2013
Logicboy03:
lol....I know you are dull but, how you couldnt see that evolutionary change is the hieght?

Logicboy03:
And this quote means that evolution has nothing to do with height or what?

Sincerely, I have seen more intelligent orangutans at the Zoo.

Let me break it down for you into bite-sized chunks so your head doesn't explode from the sensory overload.

1. The Author gives a theoretical example of what should happen following Evolution theory here:
For example, finches that have large, powerful beaks also have an advantage cracking large, tough seeds during periods when small, soft seeds are scarce. As a consequence, large-beaked birds are more likely to eat better, survive longer and reproduce than small-beaked birds. Because beak shape is an inherited trait (one that is substantially influenced by genes), more successful reproduction by large beaked birds means that the genes predisposing finches to large beaks are transmitted to the next generation in relatively larger numbers than those genes encoding small beaks. Thus, the population of finches in the next generation will tend to have larger beaks than finches in their parent's generation.

2. The Author then provides us with a real life human population sample here:
Let's use this basic operating principle of evolution to predict, retrospectively, the direction of change in human height if evolution were the cause of the change. We know from studies conducted in industrial England that children born into lower socioeconomic classes were shorter, on average, than children born into wealthy families. We also know that poorer families had larger numbers of children

3. He then points out that the exact opposite of what evolution would predict happens:
Given those initial conditions, what would evolution predict?

The average population should have become shorter because the shorter individuals in the population were, from an evolutionary fitness perspective, more successful in passing on their genes. [size=28pt]But this did not happen[/size]. Instead, all segments of the population--rich and poor, from small and large families--increased in height. Thus, natural selection, the process whereby differences in reproductive success account for changes in the traits of a population, does not explain why we are taller.

4. The guy now tells you why it doesn't happen pointing out that height actually increases and decreases depending on diet.

5. Finally he tells you that if you like chop, if you like no chop, you no fit ever tall pass certain limit:

the trend toward increasing height has largely leveled off, suggesting that there is an upper limit to height beyond which our genes are not equipped to take us, regardless of environmental improvements.

Phew!!!

Thank me later!

[quote][/quote]
Re: Place all your difficult questions for Nairaland atheists here by Chedarking: 10:25pm On Jan 16, 2013
plaetton: @Chedarking:
Considering that you and Frosbel have post these scientific articles to boost your own side of the argument, it would seem that you both agree that the human species as a whole is capable of undergoing changes, whether taller or shorter. Right?

If you agree so, why would you both consider evolution , a gradual change from one species to another, as improbable?

Have you not considered that perhaps god designed living organisms to evolve towards perfection, in the same way that religious doctrine is said to be specially designed by god to evolve our souls towards perfection?

On the contrary, I'm a firm believer in evolution.

In Sheffield where I spent my early teenage years, I've witnessed many interracial relationships - and the offspring of these relationships forming more interracial relationships.

The world will consist of only one ethnicity in the future if we live that long...I know that for sure..

I only posted to register my disbelief at the utter stupidity displayed by one of the most intellectually-bankrupt confusionists ever to inflict himself on the good people of this forum...
Re: Place all your difficult questions for Nairaland atheists here by Chedarking: 10:27pm On Jan 16, 2013
mantraa: Take look at this short video about evolution very well explained by a 15 year old girl.

A lot of the stuff she said was personal opinion...

Lots of "I thinks" and "I guess" stated in an obnoxious manner....

But there was logic in there still...
Re: Place all your difficult questions for Nairaland atheists here by Nobody: 10:31pm On Jan 16, 2013
Chedarking:

Sincerely, I have seen more intelligent orangutans at the Zoo.

Let me break it down for you into bite-sized chunks so your head doesn't explode from the sensory overload.

1. The Author gives a theoretical example of what should happen following Evolution theory here:

2. The Author then provides us with a real life human population sample here:

3. He then points out that the exact opposite of what evolution would predict happens:

4. The guy now tells you why it doesn't happen pointing out that height actually increases and decreases depending on diet.

5. Finally he tells you that if you like chop, if you like no chop, you no fit ever tall pass certain limit:

Phew!!!

Thank me later!

I didnt read your comment because you are selectively reading and grasping at straws.

Generally you fail to realise that natural selection is just one mechanism for evolution.

When you are ready to acknowledge that the article was saying that natural selection didnt cause the height, get back to me.

http://evolution.berkeley.edu/evosite/evo101/IIIMechanisms.shtml

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Audio Messages / Zambian Pastor laments about Nigeria Gospel Junk exported all over Africa / What The Bible Say About Sports!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.