Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,920 members, 7,835,072 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 03:07 AM

Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless - Politics (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless (46963 Views)

Fatal Auto Crash In Lagos Leaving Six Dead / Picture Of Slums In The Usa / Eye On Lagos - Emergency Services. Is Lagos Leaving Nigeria Behind? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by Godmann(m): 10:47am On Mar 04, 2013
Moukafoam:

Psychaitric patient on the loose tongue

Thanks. I admit the errors in what I wrote, but you should not I am at work, but is being distracted by the hardship in our land and the irresponsibility of our government.

My prayer is that you should document you thoughts and your believe so that one day, when the hardship will hit you; be it by lack of jobs; security or in whatever way, you can realise how you are part of the problem with our country.

Let it be known that refusing to be holistic in solving our collective problem and taking the easy way out in the manners that Fashola is doing will never be a solution. The poor deserve some protection. the government owe them jobs, housing, etc in the same manners it owes us security and infrastructure.

Destroying your poor, sending them to early grave and neglecting them will, never be a way to clean up Lagos. The present approach is like covering a wound. The solution is to clean the wounds and give a comprehensive treatment.

While PDP is not an option, Fashola and his ACN group is making it impossible for our people to see clearly the difference between and Irresponsible gangsters as PDP and what a responsible government can be. To those that know, ACN and PDP are two sides of an evil coin.

God will deliver Nigerians when the appropriate time.

2 Likes

Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by RealMccoy2(m): 10:48am On Mar 04, 2013
Some of the bloggers here praising Lagos state governor for displacing Lagosians from the SLUM they call home are same people that were cursing Fashola when he introduced Toll Gate in Lekki area. How many of you wannabe Lagosian would be able to afford rent in Lekki? Same empty vessels that were protesting during the Fuel Subsidy crisis are hear asking people that can actually afford to pay taxes in Lagos to go back to their village.

3 Likes

Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by dplomaticVal: 10:48am On Mar 04, 2013
[quote author=Neo-XVI]LAGOS, Nigeria — The young man with the crowbar stood on a heap of rubble — planks, pallets, remains of pots, bits of cardboard, wisps of clothing, chunks of concrete — indistinguishable from every other pile in a field of debris stretching far into the distance.
“This is the home I am staying in before Fashola demolished it,” said John Momoh, 28, looking down at the pile, referring to the governor of Lagos, Babatunde Fashola. Mr. Momoh, a driver fundamental hypocrisy @ its peak!!!
Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by RealMccoy2(m): 10:52am On Mar 04, 2013
Godman_n:

Thanks. I admit the errors in what I wrote, but you should not I am at work, but is being distracted by the hardship in our land and the irresponsibility of our government.

My prayer is that you should document you thoughts and your believe so that one day, when the hardship will hit you; be it by lack of jobs; security or in whatever way, you can realise how you are part of the problem with our country.

Let it be known that refusing to be holistic in solving our collective problem and taking the easy way out in the manners that Fashola is doing will never be a solution. The poor deserve some protection. the government owe them jobs, housing, etc in the same manners it owes us security and infrastructure.

Destroying your poor, sending them to early grave and neglecting them will, never be a way to clean up Lagos. The present approach is like covering a wound. The solution is to clean the wounds and give a comprehensive treatment.

While PDP is not an option, Fashola and his ACN group is making it impossible for our people to see clearly the difference between and Irresponsible gangsters as PDP and what a responsible government can be. To those that know, ACN and PDP are two sides of an evil coin.

God will deliver Nigerians when the appropriate time.
Very Rational thinker. Some of the people praising the displacement of the poor can not afford to pay taxes in lagos. Jakande estate is still standing, why can't Nigeria's present leaders emulate him.

3 Likes

Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by basadenet: 10:56am On Mar 04, 2013
abacus:

You are quite right with your accurate assertion.
Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by victorD3: 11:01am On Mar 04, 2013
GARRI (x7):

cheesycheesy

Ok Lagos State belongs to the Federal Government of Nigeria.. Are you happy now?? Now can you just get lost??

These people should go back to their village that's no way to live. It's not by force to stay in Lagos..

coolcool

Is it everybody that has a village? What about those that only knew that they where born and abandoned in the streets of Lagos?

1 Like

Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by omo9ja1(m): 11:17am On Mar 04, 2013
Fashola ti seko di tuntun ......
Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by rhymz(m): 11:24am On Mar 04, 2013
GARRI (x7):
They're paying the price of disregarding law and order under the guise of poverty, homelessness and helplessness.

Lagos isn't for everyone!!

If you can't afford a decent place in Lagos why not stay in your village. They prefer to build illegal structures and then expect to be compensated for law-breaking.

Nonsense!!

angry
I don't know what FOLKS like mean by stay in your village. How many places in this country have you been to that makes you think that any non-indigent Lagosian is from a village. You lots keep making that ignorant statement, Lagos may be the financial capital of Nigeria hence the population explosion but it is not the best decent place to in all of Nigeria. Majority part of Lagos is a huge mess yet you are so quick to tell non-indigens to go back to their Villages like Lagos is some New York.
Pikin wey never comot for im papa house dey claim say im papa house na im fine pass for all of Nigeria. Imagine everyone going to their village, make we see who Fashola go tax take build Lagos.

2 Likes

Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by Truckpusher(m): 11:27am On Mar 04, 2013
Lagos wasn't meant for everyone ...........it's high time we begin to realize that for any meaningful development to take place lots of sacrifices must be made and of course the poor people will bear the consequences ,they shouldn't murmur but accept it as a part they played in building a better nation for their future generation this is where patriotism comes into play.
Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by ocheejemb: 11:31am On Mar 04, 2013
Love him..Hate hm..You cant deny he is working.

I feel bad for the people but living under planks and tin is no way to live.
Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by RealMccoy2(m): 11:33am On Mar 04, 2013
Truckpusher: Lagos wasn't meant for everyone ...........it's high time we begin to realize that for any meaningful development to take place lots of sacrifices must be made and of course the poor people will bear the consequences ,they shouldn't murmur but accept it as a part they played in building a better nation for their future generation this is where patriotism comes into play.

New York city is an expensive place yet her government built projects in different borrows to house the poor and low income. Most people clapping for Fashola are doing it out of tribal sentiment forgetting that the people living in those Slums are majority of their own people.

3 Likes

Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by AZeD1(m): 11:35am On Mar 04, 2013
Real-Mccoy:

New York city is an expensive place yet the government built projects in different borrows to house the poor and low income. Most people clapping for Fashola are doing it out of tribal sentiment forgetting that the people living in those Slums are majority of their own people.
I'm guessing you did not read the part where it was said that 1008 housing units are to be built in that place.
Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by cross50(m): 11:39am On Mar 04, 2013
Oga Fashola abeg take am easy o!
Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by RealMccoy2(m): 11:41am On Mar 04, 2013
A-ZeD:

I'm guessing you did not read the part where it was said that 1008 housing units are to be built in that place.
I am not against him demolishing those houses in the SLUM, my take is for him to provide alternative before embarking in such project. How many years will it take them to complete the project? How are we sure the next administration after Fashola won't have second thought?

1 Like

Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by benjaminedicha: 11:52am On Mar 04, 2013
Oh GOD..help us in Nigeria. pls give us leaders that will feel more for us than they do for themselves

1 Like

Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by Truckpusher(m): 11:56am On Mar 04, 2013
Real-Mccoy:

New York city is an expensive place yet her government built projects in different borrows to house the poor and low income. Most people clapping for Fashola are doing it out of tribal sentiment forgetting that the people living in those Slums are majority of their own people.
i agree with your opinion ,but in a country like ours that has been neglected in terms of infrastructure for far too long, for one to carry-out any meaningful development you'll have to step on toes and unfortunately these slums are standing on the direct line of fire........I'm still optimistic that one day the govt. will do something to cushion the effect of these drastic actions they are taking cos there will never be peace where the gap between the rich and the poor is too obvious .
Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by kacyfine(m): 11:57am On Mar 04, 2013
[/color][color=#990000]
FXKing2012: Sacrifices must be made for development to take place, but Africans usually dont like making sacrifices (except sacrificing to deities) which is why Africa is so underdeveloped.
[b][/b]true talk
Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by sucess001(m): 12:03pm On Mar 04, 2013
A-ZeD:

either you are being mischeivous or plain stewpid. you expect dem to sleep in the sun till the housing estate is completed? or which house built by the lagos state government is ever less than 10 million naira. how re they to afford that?

1 Like

Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by RealMccoy2(m): 12:04pm On Mar 04, 2013
Truckpusher: i agree with your opinion ,but in a country like ours that has been neglected in terms of infrastructure for far too long, for one to carry-out any meaningful development you'll have to step on toes and unfortunately these slums are standing on the direct line of fire........I'm still optimistic that one day the govt. will do something to cushion the effect of these drastic actions they are taking cos there will never be peace where the gap between the rich and the poor is too obvious .
The problem with Nigerian leaders are preparedness. The very day a Nigerian leader starts using "what if" logic, there will be less crime in major cities. Who ever thought kidnapping will be that rampant in Lagos? What was the alternative solution provided for those Okada riders roaming the street of Lagos as we speak?

1 Like

Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by chadelicious: 12:07pm On Mar 04, 2013
undecidedClearing the area is not d problem, buh prior notice shud b given, innocent children r involved, wat happens wen dey r rendered homeless, den we sit back n begin 2 wonder y crime rate multiplies daily

1 Like

Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by AZeD1(m): 12:13pm On Mar 04, 2013
sucess001:

either you are being mischeivous or plain stewpid. you expect dem to sleep in the sun till the housing estate is completed? or which house built by the lagos state government is ever less than 10 million naira. how re they to afford that?
Either you are being mischeivous or plain stewpid. You don't know Government is not run on sentiments? Everybody is claiming they are poor and yes they are poor but does being poor means you should build illegal structures?
Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by Nobody: 12:14pm On Mar 04, 2013
Let us set some things straight, as humans we always have choices only that we often times take the wrong ones. People living in those slums indigene or not have a choice of not living in that place -they are not chained down there are they?
Go to places like ikorodu and badagry, you see thick forests unhabited by people, question is, what do these so called poor of the slums find so attractive in living like dogs in the city when there are places they can live better?
To the question of indigene or not, is the place demolished the village (agboole) of those people? The answer is no! Those people are not aboriginal to the particular area they've been ejected from! I noticed that almost all the people interviewed in the article are not even yorubas! Truth is MOST slum dwellers are not aborigene to lagos state, they might be yorubas but not neccessarily Lagos indigene. All yorubas know where their Agboole is, and no one can bulldoze any yoruba clan's Agboole without repercussion.
Things have been left in disarray for too long, time for change is here. Believe me, A.CN govt in Lagos and other SW states are doing the right thing by demolishing all shanties, that is the path to growth and development!
The poor people will have to learn to live within their means and not assume they are exempted from proper conduct in the society.

1 Like

Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by back2sender: 12:16pm On Mar 04, 2013
Fashola & double standard!!!!!. its only the defenseless he can deal with, what about the menace of area boys having a filled day in the city of lagos,what is he doing about it,NOTHING!!!!!!. come and see the traffic menace caused by them in the morning at Ajah and i thought there was an arrangement in place to call this touts to order? he cannot rein them in but can deal with helpless nigerians and flex his muscle that lagos is working

He instituted toll gate in lekki and where is the development in Lekki despite the amount of tax paid by those who lived in the axis? The development people are seeing in lekki are self made and not by LASG . In my locality (Alaguntan) for you to construct a gutter in front of your building you have to pay the local govt N75,0000,can you imagine !!!!!!!!. you will be levied for a service that they should have provided for you.

I grew up in Maroko and i know what eviction means because i experienced it during the demolition of Maroko on the flimsy reason that the area is prone to erosion while we all know it was as a result of the aftermath of the Orkar coup as the then Military GOVT said the coupist escaped thru Maroko and used the reason of erosion to pull down the structures.

The maroko evictees were resettled in Jakande and Ikota by the Military Govt and thanks to people like The late Gani(May his soul rest in Perfect peace) and Falana who fought for the defenceless at that time. As a result of the location many lives were lost as there was no amenities in the resettled location and i will use this opportunity to say a big thanks to the CATHOLIC CHURCH and BAPTIST who came in to fill in the gap(providing water,healthcare,foods etc). you need to see the condition that people were living during that periond it was a disaster.

it was the movement of the maroko evictees that opened up the axis and people can now know area suck as osapa, chevron, ikota, ajah,badore,sangotedo etc. I gave that little narration for those that just come up here and post without knowing wat it means to experience such.

Compare the IGR and rate of the so called development in lagos, there is a BIG DEFICIT. i know how much i pay as tax in lagos(above 20K) and i provide my own basic amenities in the house(rented apartment) so what am i benefiting from Lagos?

This same Fashola came begging for votes in this area during elections and why didnt he tell them he will destroy badia then? Mine is that development should have a human face.

9 Likes

Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by olavoice(m): 12:25pm On Mar 04, 2013
Hey everyone! Dont forget:
1. Lagos is a state,
2. Whats the federal government doing about this?
3. Is the governor of a state the only one who is elected to govern? What about the the other arms of government, i thought the executive is only meant to enforce or implement
4. In the case of injustice whats the responsibity of the judiciary
5. To al that have problems with this decision; the last time i checked, what we practise is democracy,you can contest or vote for the "right" person irrespective of his party and lets see where we'l go from there at least fashola through constitutional provisions cannot contest again and 2015 is almost here...
Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by emmasege: 12:27pm On Mar 04, 2013
Re-building lagos goes beyond partisan or regional interest. Lagos is the commercial capital of nigeria, and until Fashola and Tinubuites see lagos as a national heritage, they will never achieve their aim of re-modelling lagos rather they will make more enemies out of every class and ethnic group in Nigeria. This is why for me, i think ACN has outlived its reign in Lagos state. It's time to vote in a a party that would ally with the ruling party. I can't imagine how far lagos would have gone in the past 14 yrs if they were properly allied with the FG.
It seems the new ID of ACN is demolition. It is not peculiar to algos alone. Go check other southwestern states- ogun, oyo, osun
Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by Alleinad(f): 12:29pm On Mar 04, 2013
(Clearing my throat), I have nothing to say. I sit as the judge in a debate competition, both sides have raised valid points.
Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by RealMccoy2(m): 12:38pm On Mar 04, 2013
back2sender: Fashola & double standard!!!!!. its only the defenseless he can deal with, what about the menace of area boys having a filled day in the city of lagos,what is he doing about it,NOTHING!!!!!!. come and see the traffic menace caused by them in the morning at Ajah and i thought there was an arrangement in place to call this touts to order? he cannot rein them in but can deal with helpless nigerians and flex his muscle that lagos is working

He instituted toll gate in lekki and where is the development in Lekki despite the amount of tax paid by those who lived in the axis? The development people are seeing in lekki are self made and not by LASG . In my locality (Alaguntan) for you to construct a gutter in front of your building you have to pay the local govt N75,0000,can you imagine !!!!!!!!. you will be levied for a service that they should have provided for you.

I grew up in Maroko and i know what eviction means because i experienced it during the demolition of Maroko on the flimsy reason that the area is prone to erosion while we all know it was as a result of the aftermath of the Orkar coup as the then Military GOVT said the coupist escaped thru Maroko and used the reason of erosion to pull down the structures.

The maroko evictees were resettled in Jakande and Ikota by the Military Govt and thanks to people like The late Gani(May his soul rest in Perfect peace) and Falana who fought for the defenceless at that time. As a result of the location many lives were lost as there was no amenities in the resettled location and i will use this opportunity to say a big thanks to the CATHOLIC CHURCH and BAPTIST who came in to fill in the gap(providing water,healthcare,foods etc). you need to see the condition that people were living during that periond it was a disaster.

it was the movement of the maroko evictees that opened up the axis and people can now know area suck as osapa, chevron, ikota, ajah,badore,sangotedo etc. I gave that little narration for those that just come up here and post without knowing wat it means to experience such.

Compare the IGR and rate of the so called development in lagos, there is a BIG DEFICIT. i know how much i pay as tax in lagos(above 20K) and i provide my own basic amenities in the house(rented apartment) so what am i benefiting from Lagos?

This same Fashola came begging for votes in this area during elections and why didnt he tell them he will destroy badia then? Mine is that development should have a human face.

Some people are very Myopic,they view everything in tribal angle. I would rather see a Fashola free of Tinubu as the president of Nigeria than GEJ but lately his poor decisions are very alarming.
Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by dash97: 12:40pm On Mar 04, 2013
exactly.... the population in lagos is growing day by day....with lots of trooping down to lagos.... the environment is sooo polluted
tomakint: Some people just want to come and 'die' in Lagos when actually what they are travelling down to look for in Lagos is right there where they were if only they can take a deeper look! cool Eko o ni baje o, o baje ti cheesy
Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by tyson55(m): 12:40pm On Mar 04, 2013
Nobody is against development, what most people opposing the destruction of those slums are saying is, the government should provide an alternate abode for this less previlege people. They shouldn't destroy their houses whereby alternate housing or compensation isn't given.

1 Like

Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by Nobody: 12:46pm On Mar 04, 2013
tyson55: Nobody is against development, what most people opposing the destruction of those slums are saying is, the government should provide an alternate abode for this less previlege people. They shouldn't destroy their houses whereby alternate housing or compensation isn't given.
Exactly. Government can turn Lagos to New York, its for our good, but those poor people sleeping outdoors at night are humans. They just need alternative place to pitch their tents. Fashola is just anti-poor.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply)

Buhari Gets Rousing Reception In Lagos - Dele Momodu Mocks Buhari, APC (Video) / The Moment President Buhari Slammed Saraki And Dogara On Live TV (Photos) / Just In: Court Orders Arrest Of CCB Chairman Over El Rufai's Assets Declaration

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.