Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,506 members, 7,816,207 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:39 AM

Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless (46916 Views)

Fatal Auto Crash In Lagos Leaving Six Dead / Picture Of Slums In The Usa / Eye On Lagos - Emergency Services. Is Lagos Leaving Nigeria Behind? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by babapupa: 10:27pm On Mar 03, 2013
TheBookWorm:

You will not see me disagreeing with all the assertions that you have made. I am in full support of progress and Nigeria as a whole needs to be modernized at all cost. However, I think where we disagree is how this modernization can be achieved. The slums that are throughout Lagos need to be removed. But we must not forget the human element. Governor Fashola is trying to move Lagos in the right direction, but I wish he handled this situation better. The people who inhabit these slums will not go back to their villages and towns, they will stay in Lagos. Where will they go? They will most likely find themselves in other slums in Lagos. Therefore, this is simply spreading the problem and not making it better. But what is done is done, but the fact that Nigerians have been rendered homeless, because of Governor Fashola's actions does not make me feel good about the situation.

You are actually not agreeing with me, what you are doing is trying to have it both ways. You want the slums removed but at the same time want to pass blame for doing the exact same think you admitted must be done.

What you are suggesting is for the state to always cater to illegalities and compensate illegalities with tax payers money which in return creates more problems and embolden other people to repeat the same thing knowing that the state will give them free accomidtion. Have you asked yourself if this state can even afford to do all the things you people are suggesting and when is it going to stop?

Makoko people did the same thing and the state resettled them and is also feeding them. When is this going to stop If your main answer is to always reward illegalities? can you even sustain it with taxpayers money or any kind of money...

1 Like

Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by labamo07(m): 10:30pm On Mar 03, 2013
~Bluetooth:

How many slums do you see in London,Dubai or New york ? You guys should learn to put sentiments away from governance.for a government to work and succeed,sacrifices must be made.

Government cannot build free houses to aLl poor Nigerians simply because they are homelessness and that is why there are urban and rural areas.if you find yourself lagging in Urban areas,migrate to the rural when life is cheap.Besides,government is not father christmas.

PS- I'm not blaming those poor guys for being poor and kicked out of their shanties but what need to be done must be done.
permit me for calling you fool, yes you are..... Have you been to the 3 cities you named, altogether ? Would you like me to remind you that there certain provisions made for citizens and residence of the cities? If any of your relation is residing in the slum, I trust you would make mobilization for placards to be raised at Alausa

3 Likes

Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by FXKing2012(m): 10:31pm On Mar 03, 2013
trolling:
partly true but all nations sacrifice to deities but i wouldnt call most of EuroAsian countries and some parts of the Anericas underdeveloped.The fact of the matter is one of Ham's son was cursed to be a servant of servants that is why many parts of Africa are what they are today.
But some folks doubt the whole Ham story having anything to do wt Africa's underdevelopment
Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by Nobody: 10:32pm On Mar 03, 2013
If he is providing alternatvs fine but if not he shud not inflict pain on d poor just to make name cos its sheer hypocrisy, my kobo

1 Like

Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by babapupa: 10:32pm On Mar 03, 2013
kross_01:
maybe i got carried away with the comparison but come on man, rolling back to africa, lagos can safely be compared to jo'burg, whch still hav shacks & funny settlements visible. But the govt doesnt jst go & drive them all off, rather the first thing u'ld notice in such area is that they'll cme construct an array of toilets dia for them & then keep managing them till they can get a lasting solution to them. While i'm not suggesting to the state gvt hw to run its affairs, 'm surely suggesting to it, hw to trt its citizens like humans & nt second class citizens. My pain with this whole demolition still remains that you as a gvt cnt wake up & send a bulldozer to a settlement without prior notice & or time frame, not even minding the fact that those people are the traditional indigenes/natives of there. If not for land use act, i wonder if such could be thot of in d 1st place.

You still can not compare Lagos with jburg or any other municipality. every society is unique based on a lot of things from money, history, culture and expectations from the elected officials.

I still need you to tell me where the money to house millions of beggars, illegal settlers and every so called thousands of common man crossing into Lagos state everyday. Tell me where the money will come from...

1 Like

Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by stagger: 10:32pm On Mar 03, 2013
Nigerians like to use the excuse of lack of money to keep perpetrating behaviour worse than that of animals. Go to a typical slum in Lagos and ask yourself why human beings prefer living in such incredible filth.

Life is about planning. If Lagos is too expensive, get the hell out of that city and find yourself some place else to live in. My parents live in a state where a 3 bedroom flat is N100,000 per annum, and they have light 24/7. The same facility where I live in Abuja is N1.3million per annum. Yet people without any tangible means of livelihood will prefer to pack into Abj and be building slums which will sooner or later get demolished. Same thing in Lagos too.

We should stop being filthy and stop resisting positive change. Go to Abali Park area in PH. After the government drove all the traders off that area where the rowdiness was providing cover for these bad guys who were mugging and molestign girls and snatching their bags, they came back after three months. What does that tell you about the average Nigerian?

WE ARE TOO DAMN FILTHY!

3 Likes

Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by kross01(m): 10:37pm On Mar 03, 2013
~Bluetooth:

How many slums do you see in London,Dubai or New york ? You guys should learn to put sentiments away from governance.for a government to work and succeed,sacrifices must be made.

Government cannot build free houses to aLl poor Nigerians simply because they are homelessness and that is why there are urban and rural areas.if you find yourself lagging in Urban areas,migrate to the rural when life is cheap.Besides,government is not father christmas.

PS- I'm not blaming those poor guys for being poor and kicked out of their shanties but what need to be done must be done.
If you've bn to these places u mentioned, u'ld knw they all have their bad portions. What may pass for a shack in their area, myt b ok to us. Someone earlier in this thread talked about the location used for one of the olympic games being a slum b4 d gvt acquired it for tthat purpose but they wia well taken care of. They were given alternatives, they were not chased out of there with squads of mobile policemen.
Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by trolling(m): 10:38pm On Mar 03, 2013
FXKing2012:
But some folks doubt the whole Ham story having anything to do wt Africa's underdevelopment
thats because they dont do secular and biblical history,Ham's descendants occupy Africa,Africa was named after Africanus a caucasian

1 Like

Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by slimfit1(m): 10:40pm On Mar 03, 2013
Tigerhead: I have been reading your ill thought out childish bleats posts. I have always wondered why you think not having a sensible thought in your head is an achievement?

That land belongs to the Federal Government of Nigeria. I can not see how invading land that belongs to other people can ever be the way a democratic government should be run.

Well clueless jeg refuses to provide proper environment for this people. I know if fashola provide a place for this people more people will start coming to lagos stretching his resources so you can't really blame fashola as much as I don't like the action taken, but when is the right time to take a proper step to correct such illegality when somethin bad happens?
Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by infolekan(m): 10:40pm On Mar 03, 2013
Neo-XVI:

What you have written here is complete nonsense. I am sure you were one of the people campaigning against the removal of fuel subsidy because that one affects you. This one doesn't, so they can all go and burn in hell. After all, are they not poor people?

You are exactly the replica of the republican party here in the US. They only cater to the rich and powerful in society. The poor can go rot in hell as far as they are concerned. But the US also owes its greatness today to it's generosity on the not so powerful in the 1950s. They gave scholarships to all who fought in world war II so they can attend college. They set up medicare and social security so that people don't have to live out they old ages in abject poverty. That was how they built their middle class starting in the 50s. Right now most industrialized countries have free health care for both rich and poor. That is how countries develop - by catering to the poor. Cos once you are able to lift them out of poverty, the larger society is better for it. You wise men fail comprehend this immutable truth. Shame on you.

But the republicans you are quoting have produced more Presidents in the US than the democrats and I'm talking about more than double the number of democrat President.
Nigerians always prefer status quo. People like you would prefer things to remain the way it is till there's a big hurricane that takes away half of Lagos & you'll now tackle the slum.
There are West London & East London.....you'll definitely know where you should belong whne you check your wallet. The issue of council house & all comes into play with time AFTER we clear all these slums.
You can build a shanty illegaly & then turn around & be talking about not being served notice when you know you shouldn't even be there initially. And some peeps are even talking about compensation.smh. The issue of the land being the Fed Govts land is someone overnight dream I'm sure.
Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by kross01(m): 10:42pm On Mar 03, 2013
babapupa:

You still can not compare Lagos with jburg or any other municipality. every society is unique based on a lot of things from money, history, culture and expectations from the elected officials.

I still need you to tell me where the money to house millions of beggars, illegal settlers and every so called thousands of common man crossing into Lagos state everyday. Tell me where the money will come from...
if the gvt decides that housing is its priority, it won't cost them half as much as they are spending on road infrastructures to house up to 50% of the pple u mentioned. They do not come to me to fund their previous projects my bro, administration is all about priorities. I still maintain my point which is that those guys are natives & even if they are not, doesnt justify the gvt sudden eviction without prior notification.

2 Likes

Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by Nobody: 10:43pm On Mar 03, 2013
kross_01:
maybe i got carried away with the comparison but come on man, rolling back to africa, lagos can safely be compared to jo'burg, whch still hav shacks & funny settlements visible. But the govt doesnt jst go & drive them all off, rather the first thing u'ld notice in such area is that they'll cme construct an array of toilets dia for them & then keep managing them till they can get a lasting solution to them. While i'm not suggesting to the state gvt hw to run its affairs, 'm surely suggesting to it, hw to trt its citizens like humans & nt second class citizens. My pain with this whole demolition still remains that you as a gvt cnt wake up & send a bulldozer to a settlement without prior notice & or time frame, not even minding the fact that those people are the traditional indigenes/natives of there. If not for land use act, i wonder if such could be thot of in d 1st place.
This is image of demolition in Johannesburg, South Africa.

Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by emiye(m): 10:44pm On Mar 03, 2013
kross_01:

I am almost certain they were issued quit notice, you people talk as if we are not nigerians, more often than not when quit notice are issued by government,Nobody quits. you will come back at that location to discover more people than they were when you issued the quit notice.

Some tough decisions has to be made, compensating illegality has a long term consequence.
Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by marvelousabah(m): 10:45pm On Mar 03, 2013
ROSSIKE:

Rubbish.

Maybe you've failed to check, but the overwhelming majority of Africans today actually worship your white imported gods, courtesy of foreign invasion and colonialism, as opposed to 'sacrificing to deities', so maybe you should check with Jesus, Mohammed and co for the source of their troubles. Leave the African deities out of it.
WHO IS DIS BASTARD CALLIN JESUS IMPORTD?

1 Like

Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by sammmiey1: 10:47pm On Mar 03, 2013
Fashola is working,Lagosians are suffering!wot an irony
Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by Nobody: 10:48pm On Mar 03, 2013
Osc: If he is providing alternatvs fine but if not he shud not inflict pain on d poor just to make name cos its sheer hypocrisy, my kobo
The condition of those living in Lagos squalor is worse than pain. There is no pain inflicted. They need to go back to their various state. If the government want to build for everybody in Lagos the state will be broke. The way it is done in the developed countries they have to be housed in another low cost housing buildings and pay for them through instalment. That I think Fashola should emulate here.

Lagos is over populated and the infrastructure is overstretched. The only way is to send them back to their states. Too many hoodlums and criminals will emerged at the end. These are people who could be better off in their various states yet come to Lagos and become nuisances on the streets.
Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by kross01(m): 10:49pm On Mar 03, 2013
emiye:

I am almost certain they were issued quit notice, you people talk as if we are not nigerians, more often than not when quit notice are issued by government,Nobody quits. you will come back at that location to discover more people than they were when you issued the quit notice.

Some tough decisions has to be made, compensating illegality has a long term consequence.
Good a thing u said almost certain, but my dear these people spoke during the press conference organised by a group that has agreed to defend their rights that have been violated(SERAP should be the grps name) & almost all said same thing. Few hours notice with area boys aiding in the demolition & carting away their stuffs while squads of mobile police are kept stand by, seriously is that humane enough?

1 Like

Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by indianin9ja(m): 10:50pm On Mar 03, 2013
As an Indian living and working in Nigeria. I observe that the trouble with Nigeria is there are too many Nigerians, just like India. This is especially the case with Lagos. So, well done, Governor Fashola. I wish you and Lagos State success in evicting these people who are overcrowding and ruining the once-pleasant city of Lagos.

1 Like

Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by ichidodo: 10:51pm On Mar 03, 2013
When i said FASHOLA was a dumb f**k,nobody believed me. Now i have been vindicated. EKO O NI BAJE MY HAIRY ARMPIT.

2 Likes

Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by NeoXVI: 10:52pm On Mar 03, 2013
infolekan:

But the republicans you are quoting have produced more Presidents in the US than the democrats and I'm talking about more than double the number of democrat President.
Nigerians always prefer status quo. People like you would prefer things to remain the way it is till there's a big hurricane that takes away half of Lagos & you'll now tackle the slum.
There are West London & East London.....you'll definitely know where you should belong whne you check your wallet. The issue of council house & all comes into play with time AFTER we clear all these slums.
You can build a shanty illegaly & then turn around & be talking about not being served notice when you know you shouldn't even be there initially. And some peeps are even talking about compensation.smh. The issue of the land being the Fed Govts land is someone overnight dream I'm sure.

Since when? Quit telling me about Republican-Democrat politics. Democrats have won 5 of the last 6 presidential elections. Bush's win in 2000 was inspite of losing the popular vote, and to this day majority of Americans still think he shouldn't have been president. The popularity of the republican party is at an all time low.
Let me be clear, there is nothing wrong with wanting a more humane place for these guys. Nothing wrong! Where it is wrong and indefensible is leveling their shanties without prior notice, and without providing alternatives for them or compensating those who had to lived there cos they were chased out of the national theater area originally. The feds got the place and moved them there. What do they do now? No government in the western world, no matter how noble their intent would do that to its citizens. NONE. Why? It is indefensible.
Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by FXKing2012(m): 10:53pm On Mar 03, 2013
trolling:
thats because they dont do secular and biblical history,Ham's descendants occupy Africa,Africa was named after Africanus a caucasian
Then how and why did Africans turn dark-skined? Does it have to do with suffering or is it just the intense solar radiation we experience in Africa.
Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by kross01(m): 10:54pm On Mar 03, 2013
all4naija: This is image of demolition in Johannesburg, South Africa.
Can u get me a pix of roodeport? Around that lerato hospital axis, a lot of them abound there.
Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by AZeD1(m): 10:55pm On Mar 03, 2013
OP you just posted half of the information. All those saying quit notices where not given should go and read the whole story. Below is a part of the story which the OP omitted

The Lagos state commissioner for housing, Adedeji Olatubosun Jeje, provided a different version of events.

“It’s a regeneration of a slum,” he said. “We gave enough notification. The government intends to develop 1,008 housing units. What we removed was just shanties. Nobody was even living in those shanties. Maybe we had a couple of squatters living there.”
Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:57pm On Mar 03, 2013
FXKing2012: Sacrifices must be made for development to take place, but [b]Africans usually dont like making sacrifices (except sacrificing to deities) which is why Africa is so underdeveloped. [/b]

[size=16pt]HEY HEY SHUT THE HELL UP MAN-WORSHIPPER! SHOULD I TEACH YOU THE SACRIFICES MADE BY YOUR XTIAN PASTORS! SACRIFICES LIKE BUYING 10 PVT. JETS INSTEAD OF 11, ON THE PEOPLES HARD-EARNED MONEY!
LEAVE OUR GODS OUT OF THIS!
[/size] angry angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by emiye(m): 10:58pm On Mar 03, 2013
kross_01:
Good a thing u said almost certain, but my dear these people spoke during the press conference organised by a group that has agreed to defend their rights that have been violated(SERAP should be the grps name) & almost all said same thing. Few hours notice with area boys aiding in the demolition & carting away their stuffs while squads of mobile police are kept stand by, seriously is that humane enough?

What do you expect them to say? That they were given a long quit notice?

Never has a demolition exercise taken place, and those displaced agreed they were given quit notice.

A-ZeD:

OP you just posted half of the information. All those saying quit notices where not given should go and read the whole story. Below is a part of the story which the OP omitted

The Lagos state commissioner for housing, Adedeji Olatubosun Jeje, provided a different version of events.

“It’s a regeneration of a slum,” he said. “We gave enough notification. The government intends to develop 1,008 housing units. What we removed was just shanties. Nobody was even living in those shanties. Maybe we had a couple of squatters living there.”

I hope you can see this
Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by Nobody: 10:59pm On Mar 03, 2013
Somebody should post images for us to know about the reality of the demolition and how that place looks like?
Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by NeoXVI: 11:00pm On Mar 03, 2013
A-ZeD:

Lol. How naive. The last person you should believe in a case of an injustice perpetrated by government is an official working for that same government. What did you expect him to say? Listen to the press conference by SERAP instead. Listen to the victims. Then make your judgement.
Meanwhile, I did provide the link for the rest of the story. It was too long to post.

1 Like

Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by PAGAN9JA(m): 11:00pm On Mar 03, 2013
Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by NEROSKY(m): 11:01pm On Mar 03, 2013
Eko Ile:

So what would you have done as a leader? Sit around and watch the same poor people live in slums, squalor, dangerous and unhealthy environment and on top of that turn your society into lawless and illegal settlements like some hopeless jungle?

I know we all want to make it in life, but if your dreams of making it in Lagos is not panning out, why not head back to your village or home town where you for sure have family house and decent roof over your head? It's not by force to live city life that you can not support or sustain in anyway. People have to start taking responsibility for their actions and quit hiding under this poor people nonsense. We all have responsibilities and you can not form an illegal settlement and think keep thing nothing is going to happen to you or the place you occupied illegally. The law will come knocking one day one day.

I like your English, composure n comprehensive illustrations, but your head is not correct.

Reading ur posts makes me think you're fashola's NL proxy!

You they think self

I wish such things come ur way, so you no how it feels, because you don't go around fire and xpect not to sweat!

Am not against change or development either, why no formal notification b4 demolition Are they not human
Even they were animals, won't you move them to a safer place

I believe in nemesis!!!

All the same, i lost my respect for fashola, he locked ladipo market and he's asking for 40million naira (legal stealing) the same thing he to Coker, odunade market, alaba suru e. T. C , wicked looters!

2 Likes

Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by PAGAN9JA(m): 11:02pm On Mar 03, 2013
ROSSIKE:

Rubbish.

Maybe you've failed to check, but the overwhelming majority of Africans today actually worship your white imported gods, courtesy of foreign invasion and colonialism, as opposed to 'sacrificing to deities', so maybe you should check with Jesus, Mohammed and co for the source of their troubles. Leave the African deities out of it.

YA JUST TEACH THESE MAN-WORSHIPPERS! DRAGGING OUR NATION IN THE DIRT! angry angry angry angry
Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by kross01(m): 11:03pm On Mar 03, 2013
emiye:

What do you expect them to say? That they were given a long quit notice?

Never has a demolition exercise taken place, and those displaced agreed they were given quit notice.
& now you expect me to believe the govt's side of the story cos they've suddenly turned saints ryt? What an irony!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

PDP Blasts Buhari For 'Embarrassing' Treatment Given To Him By Cameron In London / Buhari Settles Down To Work, Calls For Mdas’ Bank Account Balances / How Chibokgirl, Serah Luka, Was Rescued — Nigerian Army

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.