Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,162 members, 7,835,891 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 04:57 PM

Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless - Politics (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless (46965 Views)

Fatal Auto Crash In Lagos Leaving Six Dead / Picture Of Slums In The Usa / Eye On Lagos - Emergency Services. Is Lagos Leaving Nigeria Behind? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by JamesLucia: 8:29am On Mar 04, 2013
[quote
author=FXKing2012]Sacrifices must be made for
development to take place, but Africans usually dont like making
sacrifices (except sacrificing to deities) which is why Africa is so
underdeveloped.
[/quote]

good talk my friend at times if you want to succed, you take a bold step
Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by shos: 8:34am On Mar 04, 2013
GARRI (x7):

cheesycheesy

Ok Lagos State belongs to the Federal Government of Nigeria.. Are you happy now?? Now can you just get lost??

These people should go back to their village that's no way to live. It's not by force to stay in Lagos..

coolcool
MUMU

2 Likes

Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by JamesLucia: 8:35am On Mar 04, 2013
[quote
author=tiab]When you think of the mother with her kids, some innocents
that didn't ask to be born into the ignorance of their parents, I think
an alleviating measure should have been kept in place.A temporary camp
should have been provided, considering the poor shall never cease to
exist.With the intense rain expected this year, my heart cries out.Mr
Governor good job but,provide temps at thesame time.Help please.[/quote]

my dear the poor also should sacrifice towards the betterment of tomorow cos if parents dont enjoy toaday children will enjoy tomorow's development.
Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by JamesLucia: 8:40am On Mar 04, 2013
[quote
author=kross_01]
its easy to say that when its nt u dt is in their position. If you made
any research about the area in question or its people, you wld have
known that the people being displaced are traditional lagosians who wia
initially relocated to this present area when the FG took over their
initial settlement to build the national theatre. Now i ask u, which
village do u want them to go to? Why are we overtly insensitive to the
plight of others in this country? These people in question were NOT even
given notice b4 there settlement were demolished.during d press
conference whch SERAP or so did, a young man said his admission letter
& his travel docs wia all lost there as he never knew b4 hand of the
demolision.dont say its good because u were nt affected, tomorrow it might
get to u.[/quote] and you think govt can demolish a place without informing the residents? pls change is inevitable. those same people may be the one to benefit from the development
Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by Sike(m): 8:48am On Mar 04, 2013
Lagos will always be Lagos.

1 Like

Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by emmatok(m): 8:49am On Mar 04, 2013
James Lucia:

my dear the poor also should sacrifice towards the betterment of tomorow cos if parents dont enjoy toaday children will enjoy tomorow's development.

The poor should sacrifice, what about the Rich that has been looting us for dacades.

The Lekki you see is a glorified Slum.
Wait until it starts raining.
The government just grabs and sale lands to their cronies.

Why not develop low-cost housing for the poor.

3 Likes

Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by platinum131(m): 8:58am On Mar 04, 2013
@shymexx
u are obviously a very immature person,who does nothing but call people names when they are trying to have an intelligent argument.
'Dual citizenship indeed', Everyone knows Nigerians are nothing more than 3rd class citizens in the uk.So dont come here and claim nothing. If abroad was so wonderful,why are Nigerians in the diaspora coming back en-masse. Are u not 'Nigerian' or 'part' (LOL),What stops you from coming back and leading the struggle instead of hiding in a little hole in the uk and campaigning for a revolution.
@topic,nobody is saying the place should not be demolished,what some of us are saying is that provisions should be made for them in terms of relocation or at the very least quit notices should have been served . Like someone earler said a government should have a human face !

5 Likes

Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by sucess001(m): 9:03am On Mar 04, 2013
FXKing2012: Sacrifices must be made for development to take place, but Africans usually dont like making sacrifices (except sacrificing to deities) which is why Africa is so underdeveloped.

Perhaps you failed to realise that the article was done by New York times. That the media of a developed country can empathise with the poor tells you developed countries who must have also sacrificed to get to where they are did not go about it this way. Some of us have always said this fashola guy is elitist, guess you dont have to look far to see evidence of it.

2 Likes

Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by Pergrace: 9:04am On Mar 04, 2013
FXKing2012: Sacrifices must be made for development to take place, but Africans usually dont like making sacrifices (except sacrificing to deities) which is why Africa is so underdeveloped.

This comment make sense die..I concur 100%
Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by Capnd143(m): 9:17am On Mar 04, 2013
i strongly agree with you, and by the way why the Zap is western media always increasing/inflating poverty figures about Nigeria? 70% of Nigerians live with less than 165 naira, when an average Nigerian child uses more than that to buy data bundles? Poo to western media, propaganda is their greatest goal.
Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by FXKing2012(m): 9:19am On Mar 04, 2013
sucess001:

Perhaps you failed to realise that the article was done by New York times. That the media of a developed country can empathise with the poor tells you developed countries who must have also sacrificed to get to where they are did not go about it this way. Some of us have always said this fashola guy is elitist, guess you dont have to look far to see evidence of it.
Perhaps you failed to realize that the developed world dont really want the developing world to develop; if every country is very well developed, who is gonna clean the shyt - where will all the goods being produced be dumped? Think of it this way: If every man in a community has equal wealth, who is gonna be the gardener, cleaner, gate man, etc
Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by Nobody: 9:20am On Mar 04, 2013
Elueme: Fashola is gradually sliding into running a government that excludes the poor but every society cannot be aristocratic and fortunate as him and his god father Tinubu. The poor has a right to live just like Fashola or another person. This madness should stop now!
For his ass lickers on NL, it's now you believe that sacrifices need be made to reposition society but you never shared this view as regards fuel subsidy. Your hypocrisy is limitless.
Once I saw this, I knew you just another chorus-singing-empty-brain hater!
Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by indianin9ja(m): 9:22am On Mar 04, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

THIS FILTHY INDIAN MAN, HE TAKES ADVANTAGE OF POOR PEOPLE IN HIS COUNTRY AND DOES THE ORGAN TRANSPLANT BUSINESS BY BUYING KIDNEYS FROM DONORS of POOR STARVING FAMILIES!

SUCH PEOPLE CANT BE TRUSTED! FILTH! angry angry angry angry

Kidneys still for sale

The buying and selling of kidneys, which is unethical and exploitative of the poor, was outlawed in 1994, but still thrives thanks to a built-in loophole in the law. And the easy availability of kidneys for a price has retarded the growth of the cadaveric transplant programme.

A FRONTLINE INVESTIGATION TEAM
S. SUBHASH, 35, and R. Govindan, 37, both from the small town of Pallipalayam in Namakkal district in Tamil Nadu, were deep in debt. Subhash ran up a debt of Rs.35,000 after the tea shop he owned caught fire; Govindan, a powerloom worker, borrowed Rs.45,000 when his daughter was married. With their creditors pressing them to pay up and nowhere to go, each decided - not without reluctance and a feeling that it would all come to no good - to sell an asset he did still possess, a kidney.

Kidneys, they knew, are commodities easily marketed in centres of renal transplantation, notably Chennai and Bangalore. Hundreds of others from their town and the nearby town of Kumarapalayam had done the same thing for the same reasons, and both knew how to take their kidneys to the market.

They met a broker who was delighted to find them buyers. Subhash pledged his kidney to a cinema theatre owner from Taramangalam in Salem district, for a promise of Rs.45,000; and Govin-dan his to a lorry owner from nearby Sankari. After the surgery was over, Govindan received the promised amount of Rs.35,000 while Subhash received Rs.30,000, one-third less than he was promised. They paid back a part of their debt but began to borrow heavily once again. They were weak and unable to work as earlier. Neither has visited a doctor since the surgery. Subhash is already in debt to the tune of Rs.25,000, Govindan of Rs.10,000.

The transactions of which Subhash and Govindan were victims, the buying and selling of kidneys, are punishable by law - by the Transplantation of Human Organs Act, 1994. All organ sales that have taken place after the Central Act was adopted by various States have occurred owing to an escape clause built into the Act. Both Subhash and Govindan had to convince an official committee, the Authorisation Committee, that they were "donating" their kidneys to the people who bought them because they were motivated by feelings that were non-commercial and altruistic.

read more: http://www.frontlineonnet.com/fl1425/14250640.htm

On the contrary, if you knew me (God forbid), you would know that I am a man of my word and have never deceived anyone that I do business with. I can sleep soundly every night knowing that I have helped to save lives and gave families a chance out of poverty. I don't thief and I don't cheat, and so I'm proud of what I do and what I've achieved to get to where I am today.

I hope you realize that not every Indian in Nigeria is bad, and that there are always two sides to every story. Most of us are just trying to survive like everyone else, so why so much hatred?

2 Likes

Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by sucess001(m): 9:39am On Mar 04, 2013
"The Nigerian government’s untender approach to its poor..."

Thats an American's view of the event...

Means even an American (citizens of countries Fashola wants to emulate) feels the act was extremely unkind...

Yet...some acclaimed 'lagosians'(who want us to believe only they own Lagos) cant feel for their fellow countrymen displaced...

For all of you defending this dastardly act, may God look upon you with same indifference and displace you from your highhorse and may he look upon you with the unkind heart you have looked upon this people...

On another note, i wonder how i would feel as a Nigerian...supporting Fashola and condemning my people to penury and homelessness whilst an American...working with Morka would leave her American base to defend these same displaced Nigerians...

Only means someting, once Nigerians are 'comfortable'...Others can go to hell! if you belong to this group, please learn from that American lady.

1 Like

Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by Biggyd2: 9:51am On Mar 04, 2013
I have always said that "Government should have a human face". Lagos needs to be cleaned up, yes, but after "wiping out" these slums, what happens to the former dwellers? And please don't give me the "Lagos is not by force" nonsense. We know that many of these people that are sent parking are Lagosians. Which state do you want to drive them to?

Many of the people on this forum don't live in such places, so it is not as if they have personal interests in this matter. All they are saying is that government should have a human face.

In fact, I believe that the people who should be disturbed are these big men with their house-boys/girls, gardeners, cooks, car washers, nannies, wash men, etc. Are they going to convince me that these people have personal properties in VGC, Lekki etc. Of course many of them actually come from these slums. The sad thing is that when these people have no jobs or where to go to, what do they do? Many of them resort to stealing (not making excuses for them though). But my problem is that they transfer their aggression to you who drives your jeep and flashy cars on the roads. They will aggressively visit your houses(uninvited and mostly at night) lipsrsealed because they see you(the ordinary middle class) as the cause of their problems. You are the government that they see. "You have it all but they don't"(stupid way of thinking but that's the truth). They will never think of going to Government House on the Island to vent their anger. We know that even when we cry that there is no security for us, governor's house is excluded. Abi, have you not seen the mean looking mopos that they have in such areas?

Too much talk already. I beg government should just do something. Start with low cost housing schemes or something. undecided

1 Like

Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:01am On Mar 04, 2013
indianin9ja:

On the contrary, if you knew me (God forbid), you would know that I am a man of my word and have never deceived anyone that I do business with. I can sleep soundly every night knowing that I have helped to save lives and gave families a chance out of poverty. I don't thief and I don't cheat, and so I'm proud of what I do and what I've achieved to get to where I am today.

I hope you realize that not every Indian in Nigeria is bad, and that there are always two sides to every story. Most of us are just trying to survive like everyone else, so why so much hatred?

YOU ARE STILL DOING AN EVIL BUSINESS! THESE POOR PEOPLE HAVE NO MONEY SO YOU BRIBE THEM TO SELL THEIR KIDNEYS! NOW WHAT IF THEIR LAST REMAINING GODS-GIVEN KIDNEY FAILS? THEIR BLOOD WILL BE ON YOUR HEAD! THEY DONT EVEN HAVE THE MONEY TO BUY A NEW ONE! angry angry angry angry

I HAVE ALWAYS MAINTAINED THAT INDIANS ARE NOT 1 PEOPLE! THERE ARE MANY DIFFERENT ETHNIC GROUPS IN INDIA! SO IT DEPEENDS ON THEIR ETHNICITY! MANY INDIANS ARE MIXED THOUGH. AND SOME INDIANS LIKE YOU ARE JUST PLAIN BAD!
Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by Orikinla(m): 10:04am On Mar 04, 2013
[size=18pt]I hate it for anyone to live in inhuman conditions.
It breaks my heart to see humans living like dogs in the slums.
But the worst is for people living in slums to have children in the slums and bring innocent children to suffer untold hardship.
Nobody should be born poor.
And that is the choice poor people can make by not having children until they can afford to provide basic things for their education and welfare.
Any couple who cannot guarantee good education and welfare of children should not have children and should not be allowed to have children until they are financially capable and stable to start a family.[/size]

1 Like

Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by fadamekus(m): 10:10am On Mar 04, 2013
Make i coment well well if lagos is not made for everyone then who does lagos made for? Make una name them
Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by indianin9ja(m): 10:15am On Mar 04, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

YOU ARE STILL DOING AN EVIL BUSINESS! THESE POOR PEOPLE HAVE NO MONEY SO YOU BRIBE THEM TO SELL THEIR KIDNEYS! NOW WHAT IF THEIR LAST REMAINING GODS-GIVEN KIDNEY FAILS? THEIR BLOOD WILL BE ON YOUR HEAD! THEY DONT EVEN HAVE THE MONEY TO BUY A NEW ONE! angry angry angry angry

I HAVE ALWAYS MAINTAINED THAT INDIANS ARE NOT 1 PEOPLE! THERE ARE MANY DIFFERENT ETHNIC GROUPS IN INDIA! SO IT DEPEENDS ON THEIR ETHNICITY! MANY INDIANS ARE MIXED THOUGH. AND SOME INDIANS LIKE YOU ARE JUST PLAIN BAD!

I will try for the last time to get this message through your thick skull:

I don't exploit people. I tell them the risk they are taking. The "donations" are completely voluntary. I match people who need money and people who need an organ to live. In the case of a liver transplant, part of the liver is removed but the rest will regenerate in time. I'm doing God's work. It's your embarrassing prejudices that has made you narrow-minded.
Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by letsdobusines: 10:18am On Mar 04, 2013
FASHOLA HAS GONE MAD AGAIN OOOOO

2 Likes

Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by NaLaugh: 10:18am On Mar 04, 2013
sometimes you have to destroy and rebuild it.
Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by Godmann(m): 10:18am On Mar 04, 2013
Orikinla: [size=18pt]I hate it for anyone to live in inhuman conditions.
It breaks my heart to see humans living like dogs in the slums.
But the worst is for people living in slums to have children in the slums and bring innocent children to suffer untold hardship.
Nobody should be born poor.
And that is the choice poor people can make by not having children until they can afford to provide basic things for their education and welfare.
Any couple who cannot guarantee good education and welfare of children should not have children and should not be allowed to have children until they are financially capable and stable to start a family.[/size]

I put it to you that most that most of those people never wanted or even merited their condition.

What has your government done to better their lives? How many of us have your government sent to such penurious condition daily by the wicked policies of our government? As one that cares, how have you tried to positively influence our Government for a change?

We are all doomed in this country, bet me. Today, it is hitting the down-trodden; very soon, it will hit always. Even Boko haram have not excluded you wicked and lazy elites in their killings

1 Like

Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by Moukafoam(f): 10:19am On Mar 04, 2013
kross_01:
its easy to say that when its nt u dt is in their position. If you made any research about the area in question or its people, you wld have known that the people being displaced are traditional lagosians who wia initially relocated to this present area when the FG took over their initial settlement to build the national theatre. Now i ask u, which village do u want them to go to? Why are we overtly insensitive to the plight of others in this country? These people in question were NOT even given notice b4 there settlement were demolished.during d press conference whch SERAP or so did, a young man said his admission letter & his travel docs wia all lost there as he never knew b4 hand of the demolision.dont say its good because u were nt affected, tomorrow it might get to u.

I wonder how people live their life,...all in the Ɲαмe of "I am in Lagos"

Ogun state is open and Land there is almost ƒя̩eǝ. Why not go there and settle if you must stay or live close to Lagos? undecided

Some people live in swamp and they call it home,...must we all live in Lagos?

Otta is not far from Lagos and a room there is cheap, no agent wahala.

Make una stay make Fashola dεy use una shine angry
Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by slimfit1(m): 10:20am On Mar 04, 2013
Tigerhead: What is wrong with you people? Why do you have so much problems with due process? That land was acquired by the federal government to house the people fashola is trying to evict. If some rampaging state government wants to shift them , they should go and meet the FG and tell them to move their tenants, YOU CANNOT INVADE A FEDERAL GOVERNMENT RESERVATION. I can just imagine if GEJ was to order solders into a lagos state owned estate to evict everyone their. these same fools would not let anyone hear anything.

Ok and you think the federal government dont know of this situation ? You are not helping federal govt spoke man.
Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by sucess001(m): 10:25am On Mar 04, 2013
FXKing2012:
Perhaps you failed to realize that the developed world dont really want the developing world to develop; if every country is very well developed, who is gonna clean the shyt - where will all the goods being produced be dumped? Think of it this way: If every man in a community has equal wealth, who is gonna be the gardener, cleaner, gate man, etc

Good God!

I fear this kind of reasoning in this century. So in other words, displacing people is your idea of development? Making people sleep in the open is development? if thats development...may God never allow us development!
Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by letsdobusines: 10:26am On Mar 04, 2013
FASHOLA HAS GONE MAD AGAIN OOOOO
The Governor on Rampage trying to gain more fame and popularity. But he is sadly mistaken because one day he will face to face with the enemies he has made during his tenor as Governor.
And then we will see how he will dance to the tunes of the Beat of the Drums of POOR AND THE SPIRITS.

WHEN YOU TROUBLE THE KID OF A GOAT TO- MUCH, YOU WILL HAVE TO PAY THE PRICE FOR IS DEATH ONE DAY.

2 Likes

Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by Moukafoam(f): 10:26am On Mar 04, 2013
Godman_n:

I put it to you that most that most of those people never wanted or even merited their condition.

What has your government done to better their lives? How many of us have your government sent to such penurious condition daily by the wicked policies of our government? As one that cares, how have you tried to positively influence our Government for a change?

[s]We are all doomed in this country, bet me. Today, it is hitting the down-trodden; very soon, it will hit always. Even Boko haram have not excluded you wicked and lazy elites in their killings[/s]

Psychaitric patient on the loose tongue
Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by letsdobusines: 10:29am On Mar 04, 2013
Moukafoam:

I wonder how people live their life,...all in the Ɲαмe of "I am in Lagos"

Ogun state is open and Land there is almost ƒя̩eǝ. Why not go there and settle if you must stay or live close to Lagos? undecided

Some people live in swamp and they call it home,...must we all live in Lagos?

Otta is not far from Lagos and a room there is cheap, no agent wahala.

Make una stay make Fashola dεy use una shine angry

Who told you there are no AGENTS in Ota
Fake information. What is the difference between the Ota and Lagos.
Metcheeesh

1 Like

Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:31am On Mar 04, 2013
indianin9ja:

I will try for the last time to get this message through your thick skull:

I don't exploit people. I tell them the risk they are taking. The "donations" are completely voluntary. I match people who need money and people who need an organ to live. In the case of a liver transplant, part of the liver is removed but the rest will regenerate in time. I'm doing God's work. It's your embarrassing prejudices that has made you narrow-minded.

WHAT YOU TELL THEM DOESNT MATTER! THEY ARE POOR ILLITERATE PEOPLE AND IN DESPERATE NEED OF MONEY! THE INDIAN GOVT. HAS BANNED THIS PRACTICE YET YOU INDULGE IN THIS SHAMEFUL ACT! I WAS TAKING ABOUT KIDNEY TRANSPLANT , NOT LIVER TRANSPLANT! DONT TAKE ME FOR A FOOL! GODS WORK , ILL TEACH YOU GODS WORK YOU SON OF A...
Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by basadenet: 10:32am On Mar 04, 2013
His style of leadership is worst than that of a dictator, may be he has forgotten so fast that the same downtrodden poor are the people that voted for him. Almighty will surely judge him accordingly.

1 Like

Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by myidols: 10:37am On Mar 04, 2013
Democracy is all about d people. Afterall its a govt of d people by d people ad for d people. Therefore irrespective of d fact dat its govt reserve land, Known dat people whom u serve are livn der, provision shd b made 4 dem such as compensation 2 get a new area 2 live, havn dat sacrificing spirit on d people will go a long way in establishn peoples relationship,dat of course foster unity ad orderliness in governance. Pls its not about beautifyn d state dat matters but beatifyn ourselves as people to make it a better place 4 man 2 live.

3 Likes

Re: Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless by abacus(m): 10:43am On Mar 04, 2013
Leboska:
Have you bother to read how responsible government do theirs? Fashola i lose every respect i have for u. U can never rule nigeria lagos will be your last.

Mumu

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (17) (Reply)

Just In: Court Orders Arrest Of CCB Chairman Over El Rufai's Assets Declaration / Guys Turn Lagos Road Into A Boxing Ring On Election Day / Man Wants Buhari, Nigerians Dead Over Fuel Scarcity

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.