Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,576 members, 7,837,171 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 06:15 PM

Ask Your Questions About Islam And Muslims Here. You Are Highly Welcome :) :) - Islam for Muslims (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Ask Your Questions About Islam And Muslims Here. You Are Highly Welcome :) :) (10485 Views)

3 Things You Love About Islam / How Muslims Can Teach Non-Muslims About Islam / Hoaxes And Fabrications On Islam And Muslims (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ask Your Questions About Islam And Muslims Here. You Are Highly Welcome :) :) by Nobody: 3:40am On Jul 07, 2013
dem don't like Mickey mouse and Tom and jerry oooo, God forbid if a muslim watches such shows lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Ask Your Questions About Islam And Muslims Here. You Are Highly Welcome :) :) by tpia5: 3:41am On Jul 07, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: okay. be careful.

thanks, i try my best, the rest is left to God.
Re: Ask Your Questions About Islam And Muslims Here. You Are Highly Welcome :) :) by Nobody: 3:42am On Jul 07, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: dem don't like Mickey mouse and Tom and jerry oooo, God forbid if a muslim watches such shows lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

I am sure that scholars opinion on the matter will differ but I based my answer on what I know about drawing being haraam. Since cartoons are drawn pictures of living things then deriving pleasure from watching them should be wrong.
Re: Ask Your Questions About Islam And Muslims Here. You Are Highly Welcome :) :) by Nobody: 3:43am On Jul 07, 2013
tpia@:
^ so, basically you're saying no cartoons are halal, and all are haram?

My personal opinion is that yes, all cartoons are haraam. But like I said scholars opinion is likely to differ on the matter.
Re: Ask Your Questions About Islam And Muslims Here. You Are Highly Welcome :) :) by tpia5: 3:44am On Jul 07, 2013
^ what about video games, which are a form of cartoon, so to speak.

just more intense and less playful.
Re: Ask Your Questions About Islam And Muslims Here. You Are Highly Welcome :) :) by Nobody: 3:44am On Jul 07, 2013
mice are considered haram and disgusting in the "muslim world" they really don't like Mickey mouse and Tom and jerry, I have heard several imams/clerics talking about that . Anyway tbaba and lanxelran will probably give a better answer
Re: Ask Your Questions About Islam And Muslims Here. You Are Highly Welcome :) :) by Nobody: 3:47am On Jul 07, 2013
tpia@:
^ what about video games, which are a form of cartoon, so to speak.

just more intense and less playful.

I am sure the games that are made of drawn living things are haraam. Games like breaking blocks or car race are okay since they do not contain drawn images of living things.
Re: Ask Your Questions About Islam And Muslims Here. You Are Highly Welcome :) :) by Nobody: 3:48am On Jul 07, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: mice are considered haram and disgusting in the "muslim world" they really don't like Mickey mouse and Tom and jerry, I have heard several imams/clerics talking about that . Anyway tbaba and lanxelran will probably give a better answer

I am also interested in what they will have to say about this. I've never seen them write on it before.
Re: Ask Your Questions About Islam And Muslims Here. You Are Highly Welcome :) :) by tpia5: 3:50am On Jul 07, 2013
hmm, thanks to you both.

i was just wondering what types of tv shows muslims would consider ok.

not everyone watches tv, granted, but for those who do, i wanted an idea of their comfort zone.
Re: Ask Your Questions About Islam And Muslims Here. You Are Highly Welcome :) :) by Nobody: 3:51am On Jul 07, 2013
tpia@:
hmm, thanks to you both.

You're so welcome smiley
Re: Ask Your Questions About Islam And Muslims Here. You Are Highly Welcome :) :) by Nobody: 3:53am On Jul 07, 2013
welcome
Re: Ask Your Questions About Islam And Muslims Here. You Are Highly Welcome :) :) by lanrexlan(m): 3:30pm On Jul 07, 2013
tpia@:
what types of shows (cartoons, movies, etc), would you, as a muslim, consider halal?

question is for lanrexlan.

tbaba can also contribute, would like your opinion.
Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him) was asked:What is the ruling on cartoons that appear on TV?
He replied:With regard to the cartoons which you say appear on TV,if they are in the form of humans,then the ruling on watching them depends on whether they come under the same ruling as realistic human images or not? It is most likely that they do not come under that ruling.If they are not in the form of humans,then there is nothing wrong with watching them,so long as they are not accompanied by anything haraam such as music and so on and they do not distract from obligatory duties.[ Majmoo’ al-Fataawa 2/question no. 333]

Secondly:The issue of animated drawings and cartoons is one of the most serious educational issues,because of the immense effect that these films have on children’s developing characters and because they have become a primary educational tool in many countries nowadays.At this stage the heart and mind of the child is like a blank page;nothing crosses it but it leaves an imprint.
Ibn al-Qayyim (may Allaah have mercy on him) said in Tuhfat al- Mawdood (240):One thing that the child desperately needs is for care to be taken with regard to his morals and attitude,for he will grow up with whatever the one who is raising him accustoms him to when he is small and when he grows older it becomes difficult for him to change what he has got used to;these attitudes and characteristics that have become deeply ingrained in him,even if he tries to suppress them,they will always surface and expose him.

And Allah knows best.....Peace
Re: Ask Your Questions About Islam And Muslims Here. You Are Highly Welcome :) :) by lanrexlan(m): 3:33pm On Jul 07, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: mice are considered haram and disgusting in the "muslim world" they really don't like Mickey mouse and Tom and jerry, I have heard several imams/clerics talking about that . Anyway tbaba and lanxelran will probably give a better answer
There are also Islamic cartoons,it just depends on the content of the cartoons.For example,some cartoons present beliefs and ideas that are contrary to Islam,as some movies include mixing and display of charms(tabarruj) that are haraam.Some cartoons,such as Tom & Jerry give distorted ideas about the Hereafter,Paradise and Hell and the Reckoning.Some cartoons include distortions of the stories of the Prophets and Messengers and some poke fun at Islam and Muslims,whilst others (such as Pokemon) include the beliefs of eastern and idolatrous religions.And there are many other examples.Even if a film does not outwardly go against Islam,it still carries notions of western culture that are alien to our society and religion and Allah knows best......Peace
Re: Ask Your Questions About Islam And Muslims Here. You Are Highly Welcome :) :) by lanrexlan(m): 3:39pm On Jul 07, 2013
tpia@:
no, i meant halal ie permissive.

i dont think tv is considered haram, i stand corrected if wrong.
The negative consequences of watching TV in general,of which there are many such as:damage to the eyes,getting used to laziness and inactivity,getting used to passive reception and not participating.It also stunts natural development of knowledge,because knowledge is acquired by learning, researching and seeking,but the television replaces seeking with mere receiving. Watching TV also weakens the bonds of love between family members,when they let watching shows keep them from speaking to one another.

Ibn al-Qayyim said,discussing the parent’s responsibilities in raising the child in Tuhfat al-Mawdood (241):He should avoid letting him became lazy and inactive and should teach him the opposite.He should not let him rest for more than he needs to refresh his body and soul for more work, for laziness and inactivity bring bad consequences and will end in regret,but hard work brings good consequences, either in this world or in the Hereafter or in both and Allah knows best.....Peace
Re: Ask Your Questions About Islam And Muslims Here. You Are Highly Welcome :) :) by lanrexlan(m): 3:43pm On Jul 07, 2013
tpia@:
hmm, thanks to you both.

i was just wondering what types of tv shows muslims would consider ok.

not everyone watches tv, granted, but for those who do, i wanted an idea of their comfort zone.
I personally do watch tv but only Islam programmes and light football.Tv do waste time if someone becomes addicted to it.But we should also be sure of the type of cable tv and Allah knows best.....Peace
Re: Ask Your Questions About Islam And Muslims Here. You Are Highly Welcome :) :) by lanrexlan(m): 3:55pm On Jul 07, 2013
fellis:

I am sure that scholars opinion on the matter will differ but I based my answer on what I know about drawing being haraam. Since cartoons are drawn pictures of living things then deriving pleasure from watching them should be wrong.
But there are advantages of cartoons to children.These are some of the positive effects of children watching these programs:
1) They give children a great deal of educational information in an easy and enjoyable manner.Some cartoons focus on particular geographical areas and others focus on scientific matters,such as the parts of the human body,which gives the child advanced knowledge at an early age.

2)They develop the child’s imagination and nourish his abilities and they develop the imagination in a way which helps the mind to grow and prepare it to be innovative and teach the child new ways of thinking and behaving.

3)They meet some psychological needs and have a beneficial effect,such as compassion, love,honouring one’s parents,competition, striving for success and meeting challenges and many other positive attitudes that can be instilled via cartoons.
It depends on the type of the cartoons and Allah knows best.....Peace
Re: Ask Your Questions About Islam And Muslims Here. You Are Highly Welcome :) :) by lanrexlan(m): 4:01pm On Jul 07, 2013
tpia@:
second question for lanrexlan:

is your user id your name *2?

ie lanre-x- then lanre.
My name Olanrewaju shortened as Lanre.My nick is lanrex,i just decided to add lan to it.....Peace
Re: Ask Your Questions About Islam And Muslims Here. You Are Highly Welcome :) :) by tpia5: 3:15am On Jul 08, 2013
thanks for answering

With regard to the cartoons which you say appear on TV,if they are in the form of humans,then the ruling on watching them depends on whether they come under the same ruling as realistic human images or not? It is most likely that they do not come under that ruling.If they are not in the form of humans,then there is nothing wrong with watching them,so long as they are not accompanied by anything haraam such as music and so on and they do not distract from obligatory duties

what if they're in the form of animals?
Re: Ask Your Questions About Islam And Muslims Here. You Are Highly Welcome :) :) by Nobody: 3:19am On Jul 08, 2013
interesting lanrexlan
Re: Ask Your Questions About Islam And Muslims Here. You Are Highly Welcome :) :) by tpia5: 4:29am On Jul 08, 2013
Lanrexlan

How do you feel about my posting here every so often, yet i'm a christian, and the section is for muslims.

Is it offensive, disturbing and do you feel its not conducive to Islamic interests?

I assume you're an old member with a new id?

Even if not, i've noticed you seem to be in the scholarly line ( ie an Islamic scholar), so your opinion is needed.
Re: Ask Your Questions About Islam And Muslims Here. You Are Highly Welcome :) :) by Nobody: 9:47pm On Jul 08, 2013
lanrexlan: But there are advantages of cartoons to children.These are some of the positive effects of children watching these programs:
1) They give children a great deal of educational information in an easy and enjoyable manner.Some cartoons focus on particular geographical areas and others focus on scientific matters,such as the parts of the human body,which gives the child advanced knowledge at an early age.

2)They develop the child’s imagination and nourish his abilities and they develop the imagination in a way which helps the mind to grow and prepare it to be innovative and teach the child new ways of thinking and behaving.

3)They meet some psychological needs and have a beneficial effect,such as compassion, love,honouring one’s parents,competition, striving for success and meeting challenges and many other positive attitudes that can be instilled via cartoons.
It depends on the type of the cartoons and Allah knows best.....Peace

The fact of the matter is that drawing living things is prohibited in Islam and when you patronise the people that draw these things, you are encouraging them to continue doing haraam.
If you subscribe to any cartoon station on your DSTV, it is haraam, if you buy cartoon DVDs or CDs, it is haraam cos you're helping the producers continue drawing life like creatures, which is something Allah does not like.
Fine, some cartoons are educative and what not but there are other non haraam ways to educate children. The benefit you gain from doing what is unislamic does not make the unislamic act permissible.
Cartoons are haraam in Islam.
Re: Ask Your Questions About Islam And Muslims Here. You Are Highly Welcome :) :) by Nobody: 9:56pm On Jul 08, 2013
@Lanre what's the difference/limit between extremism/fanaticism and being a good muslim?

Also what's the relation between Islam and African cultures. i'm asking because of some cultural dances up north and in West African muslim countries. the dances seemed Haram to me. Are they supposed to abandon their traditions?
Re: Ask Your Questions About Islam And Muslims Here. You Are Highly Welcome :) :) by Nobody: 10:02pm On Jul 08, 2013
I mean can follow your religion to the fullest without being an extremist? esp not in a Muslim country?
Re: Ask Your Questions About Islam And Muslims Here. You Are Highly Welcome :) :) by lanrexlan(m): 10:35pm On Jul 08, 2013
fellis:

The fact of the matter is that drawing living things is prohibited in Islam and when you patronise the people that draw these things, you are encouraging them to continue doing haraam.
Don't get me wrong sister,The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said:“The most severely punished of the people on the Day of Resurrection will be the image-makers.” Narrated by al-Bukhaari (5950) and Muslim (2109).So,I am not supporting image making.

If you subscribe to any cartoon station on your DSTV,it is haraam, if you buy cartoon DVDs or CDs, it is haraam cos you're helping the producers continue drawing life like creatures, which is something Allah does not like.
Fine, some cartoons are educative and what not but there are other non haraam ways to educate children. The benefit you gain from doing what is unislamic does not make the unislamic act permissible.
Cartoons are haraam in Islam.
Islam makes an exception from this prohibition in the case of images with which children play.
It was narrated that Aa’ishah (may Allah be pleased with her) said:The Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) came back from the campaign to Tabook or Khaybar and in her alcove there was a curtain.The breeze came and lifted the edge of the curtain,uncovering the “daughters” of ‘Aaishah, i.e., her dolls. He said:“What is this, O ‘Aaishah?” She said:“My daughters.And among them he saw a horse with two wings of cloth.He said:“What is this that I see among them?” She said:“A horse.He said:“What is this on it? She said:Two wings.He said:A horse with wings? She said:Have you not heard that Sulaymaan had horses with wings?” She said: And he smiled so broadly that I could see his eye teeth.[Narrated by Abu Dawood (4932)]
Dolls and cartoons,is there a difference?
But opinions of scholars differ on TV in general.So if the prophet(pbuh)allowed dolls and you are someone that doesn't consider TV haram,then cartoons can't be haram if they are to teach morals and Allah knows best.....Peace
Re: Ask Your Questions About Islam And Muslims Here. You Are Highly Welcome :) :) by Nobody: 10:42pm On Jul 08, 2013
lanrexlan: So if the prophet(pbuh)allowed dolls and you are someone that doesn't consider TV haram,then cartoons can't be haram if they are to teach morals and Allah knows best.....Peace
Dolls and cartoons are not the same thing. Besides, the knowledge about that hadith might have come to the prophet after that incidence with Aisha's doll.
Re: Ask Your Questions About Islam And Muslims Here. You Are Highly Welcome :) :) by lanrexlan(m): 10:48pm On Jul 08, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: I mean can follow your religion to the fullest without being an extremist? esp not in a Muslim country?
Allah said in the glorious Quran in surah Al-Baqarah 2;143-''We made you to be a community of the middle way, so that (with the example of your lives) you might bear witness to the truth before all mankind.”
It was reported by An-Nasaa'ee (5/268),Ibn Maajah (no.3029),Ahmad (1/215,347) with a saheeh sanad.The Messenger of Allah (pbuh)said,"I warn you of extremism in the Religion for indeed those that came before you were destroyed due to their extremism in the religion.Allah knows best.....Peace
Re: Ask Your Questions About Islam And Muslims Here. You Are Highly Welcome :) :) by lanrexlan(m): 10:53pm On Jul 08, 2013
fellis:
Dolls and cartoons are not the same thing. Besides, the knowledge about that hadith might have come to the prophet after that incidence with Aisha's doll.
What's the difference? Do you know dolls are even complete image which someone can see the whole body,but images on TV can't be seen fully?.I am not a scholar,but I know of scholars that aren't against cartoons and Allah knows best.....Peace
Re: Ask Your Questions About Islam And Muslims Here. You Are Highly Welcome :) :) by Nobody: 10:56pm On Jul 08, 2013
lanrexlan: Allah said in the glorious Quran in surah Al-Baqarah 2;143-''We made you to be a community of the middle way, so that (with the example of your lives) you might bear witness to the truth before all mankind.”
It was reported by An-Nasaa'ee (5/268),Ibn Maajah (no.3029),Ahmad (1/215,347) with a saheeh sanad.The Messenger of Allah (pbuh)said,"I warn you of extremism in the Religion for indeed those that came before you were destroyed due to their extremism in the religion.Allah knows best.....Peace
which begs the question is the sharia important for muslims? would u consider a muslim against the implementation of the sharia as a Bad muslim? knowing well that muslim are supposed to live under the sharia law.

also why are muslims shouting that if Christians knew what is sharia they would beg for it
Re: Ask Your Questions About Islam And Muslims Here. You Are Highly Welcome :) :) by lanrexlan(m): 11:06pm On Jul 08, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: @Lanre what's the difference/limit between extremism/fanaticism and being a good muslim?
Being a good muslim is strive and follow the teachings of the glorious Quran and sunnahs of prophet Muhammad(pbuh).

Also what's the relation between Islam and African cultures. i'm asking because of some cultural dances up north and in West African muslim countries. the dances seemed Haram to me. Are they supposed to abandon their traditions?
If the culture isn't against the teachings of the Quran and authentic sayings of the prophet(pbuh),then scholars say it's permissible,but if it goes against the teachings of the Quran and hadiths,it's not allowed and if it neither go against nor agree with Quran and hadiths,then you can make a choice.
It was narrated by An-Nu'man bin bashir(may Allah be pleased with him):I heard the prophet of Allah(peace be upon him)saying;Both legal and illegal things are clear and evident,but in between there are doubtful(unclear)things and most people have no knowledge about them.So whoever saves himself from these unclear things,He saves his religion and honour.And whoever indulges in these unclear things is like a shepherd who grazes his animals near a private pasture of someone else,and at any moment he's liable to get it[Sahih Al-Bukhari 1/52].
Allah knows best.....Peace
Re: Ask Your Questions About Islam And Muslims Here. You Are Highly Welcome :) :) by lanrexlan(m): 11:24pm On Jul 08, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: which begs the question is the sharia important for muslims? would u consider a muslim against the implementation of the sharia as a Bad muslim? knowing well that muslim are supposed to live under the sharia law.
Sharia is very important For muslims.If a muslim is against the Sharia,then He is against Allah and his Messenger(pbuh).

also why are muslims shouting that if Christians knew what is sharia they would beg for it
The Governor of Zamfara state in 2005,Alhaji Ahmad Sani Yerima got the NIGERIA INTER-RELIGIOUS PEACE AWARD awarded by the Ecumenical Apostolic Church diocese of Virgina,Usa.The letter reads
you have been considered For this prestigious award because of your role in bringing peace between christians and muslims in your state.With the introduction of the Sharia law,christians have not been molested and this shows your leadership as a peace-loving governor.We are highly satisfied with your performance.
[Daily Sun Newspaper,April 6,2005,page 7]
Even christians respect the Sharia law.So,there's no way you will implement the Sharia law without getting the result.In Nigeria states where Sharia law is being practised,it's not forced on christians.If there's a case between a muslim and a christian,the christian is given preference to choose which court He prefers.....Peace
Re: Ask Your Questions About Islam And Muslims Here. You Are Highly Welcome :) :) by lanrexlan(m): 11:30pm On Jul 08, 2013
tpia@:
Lanrexlan

How do you feel about my posting here every so often, yet i'm a christian, and the section is for muslims.

Is it offensive, disturbing and do you feel its not conducive to Islamic interests?
Your posts and questions aren't offensive in any way so far.It's good you are curious to know about Islam,not following what many critics and media say about Islam.

I assume you're an old member with a new id?
I am a new member bro.

Even if not, i've noticed you seem to be in the scholarly line ( ie an Islamic scholar),so your opinion is needed.
I am not a scholar,far from being a scholar.I am just a student,still learning.....Peace
Re: Ask Your Questions About Islam And Muslims Here. You Are Highly Welcome :) :) by Nobody: 11:32pm On Jul 08, 2013
would u really cut the hand of your child because he stole a Candy? family put asides , do you find it reasonable? to flog(100 laches) a woman because she was wearing a trouser? cut the hand of a boy because he stole an orange? I'm not going to lie there are interesting stuffs in the sharia, but some(actually most) punishments are simply barbaric.

Ps: if Christians were interested by something like sharia they would have implemented in their religion.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

History Of Ibrahim Niass / Kinds Of Leisure And Entertainment That Are Permissible In Islam / 7 KIlled In Sallah Day Accident On Bauchi Road

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.