Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,216 members, 7,818,730 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:18 PM

185 Killed As Boko-Haram Fights With JTF - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 185 Killed As Boko-Haram Fights With JTF (26891 Views)

FG Names Abuja Streets After Jonathan, Sambo, Atiku, 185 Others / #PHOTO Boko Haram Fights With Snakes. / Nine Die As Boko-Haram Fights Fake Members (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

185 Killed As Boko-Haram Fights With JTF by citizenisb: 12:07am On Apr 22, 2013
Boko Haram Fights With JTF Over 2000 Homes Destroyed 185 Killed!

www.nairaland.com/attachments/1073321_boko_jpg88325015509a67a606808f5ab88ac61e

Intense fighting between the military and Islamist militants in north Nigeria is reported to have killed at least 185 civilians and destroyed 2,000 homes.

Rocket-propelled grenades and heavy gunfire bombarded the remote town of Baga near the border with Chad for hours on Friday evening, government and military officials say.

Nigeria faces a long-running insurgency in its predominantly Muslim north.

The Boko Haram insurgency has left thousands of people dead since 2009.
'Markets burnt'

Residents of Baga fled into the bush and only returned on Sunday afternoon to find much of the town destroyed and human and animal corpses strewn through the streets.
Map

One local journalist said this marked a significant escalation in the insurgency in the area, with the militants using heavier weapons than in previous attacks.

Residents said most of the bodies had been burned beyond recognition in blazes that had destroyed much of the town.

One resident, Bashir Isa, told Associated Press: "Everyone has been in the bush since Friday night; we started returning to town because the governor came.

"To get food to eat in the town now is a problem because even the markets are burnt. We are still picking corpses of women and children in the bush and creeks.''

Boko Haram wants to carve out an Islamic state across a swathe of Nigeria.

Its name in the local Hausa language means: "Western education is forbidden".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-22243834

2 Likes

Re: 185 Killed As Boko-Haram Fights With JTF by citizenisb: 12:08am On Apr 22, 2013
BAGA, Nigeria - Fighting between Nigeria's military and Islamic extremists killed at least 185 people in a fishing community in the nation's far northeast, officials said Sunday, an attack that saw insurgents fire rocket-propelled grenades and soldiers spray machine-gun fire into neighbourhoods filled with civilians.

The fighting in Baga began Friday and lasted for hours, sending people fleeing into the arid scrublands surrounding the community on Lake Chad. By Sunday, when government officials finally felt safe enough to see the destruction, homes, businesses and vehicles were burned throughout the area.

The assault marks a significant escalation in the long-running insurgency Nigeria faces in its predominantly Muslim north, with extremists mounting a co-ordinated assault on soldiers using military-grade weaponry.

Authorities had found and buried at least 185 bodies as of Sunday afternoon, said Lawan Kole, a local government official in Baga. He spoke haltingly to Borno state Gov. Kashim Shettima in the Kanuri language of Nigeria's northeast, surrounded by still-frightened villagers.

Edokpaye said extremists used civilians as human shields during the fighting — implying that soldiers opened fire in neighbourhoods where they knew civilians lived.

"'When we reinforced and returned to the scene the terrorists came out with heavy firepower, including (rocket-propelled grenades), which usually has a conflagration effect," the general said.

Sunday afternoon, the burned bodies of cattle and goats still filled the streets. Bullet holes marred burned buildings.

"Everyone has been in the bush since Friday night; we started returning back to town because the governor came to town today," grocer Bashir Isa said. "To get food to eat in the town now is a problem because even the markets are burnt. We are still picking corpses of women and children in the bush and creeks."

Read more: http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/Officials+Fighting+between+Nigeria+military+Islamic/8274052/story.html#ixzz2R8so63ja
Re: 185 Killed As Boko-Haram Fights With JTF by citizenisb: 12:10am On Apr 22, 2013
Brig. Gen. Austin Edokpaye, also on the visit, did not dispute the casualty figures. Edokpaye said the extremists used heavy machine-guns and rocket-propelled grenades in the assault, which began after soldiers surrounded a mosque they believed housed members of the radical Islamic extremist network Boko Haram.

Read more: http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/Officials+Fighting+between+Nigeria+military+Islamic/8274052/story.html#ixzz2R8t5BT9K
Re: 185 Killed As Boko-Haram Fights With JTF by citizenisb: 12:28am On Apr 22, 2013
So much for amnesty, this feels like Mutiny on the Bounty!! Ala Nigerian Army

1 Like

Re: 185 Killed As Boko-Haram Fights With JTF by Hadone(m): 12:32am On Apr 22, 2013
IF ALL THE PEOPLE KILLED WERE ACTUALLY MEMBERS OF THE BOKOHARAM SECT, THEN I'M VERY HAPPY. BUT VERY UNFORTUNATELY, RELIABLE REPORTS REACHING US PRESENTLY IS INDICATING THAT MAJORITY OF THOSE KILLED WERE INNOCENT CITIZEN. SOOO SAAAAD!! WHILE THEIR HOMES WERE SET ABLAZE.

5 Likes

Re: 185 Killed As Boko-Haram Fights With JTF by nedu2000(m): 12:54am On Apr 22, 2013
Had_one: IF ALL THE PEOPLE KILLED WERE ACTUALLY MEMBERS OF THE BOKOHARAM SECT, THEN I'M VERY HAPPY cheesy cheesy cheesy
they r not at least 4rm d report,the innocent once again lost der lives

2 Likes

Re: 185 Killed As Boko-Haram Fights With JTF by nedu2000(m): 1:00am On Apr 22, 2013
Secure our borders & military administrators imposed in the most heated states,politics shouldn't be played with people's lives.....GEJ should provide results,simple!!!if he can't,he shouldn't give excuses,let him leave so we can someone who can

7 Likes

Re: 185 Killed As Boko-Haram Fights With JTF by mancheeutd(m): 1:09am On Apr 22, 2013
i feel pity for the helpless women and children may their soul rest in peace

@op next time add a picture of tonto dike you will make frontpage cos she's now a moderator in nairaland

7 Likes

Re: 185 Killed As Boko-Haram Fights With JTF by kettykings: 1:19am On Apr 22, 2013
Edokpaye said extremists used civilians as human shields during the fighting — implying that soldiers opened fire in neighbourhoods where they knew civilians lived

Boko Haram members are the biggest cowards ever why use innocent people as human shield , this is not how brave people fight. The MEND does not use innocent people as shield , Biafran soldiers did not use innocent people as shields , only cowards do

30 Likes

Re: 185 Killed As Boko-Haram Fights With JTF by ektbear: 1:36am On Apr 22, 2013
Had_one: IF ALL THE PEOPLE KILLED WERE ACTUALLY MEMBERS OF THE BOKOHARAM SECT, THEN I'M VERY HAPPY cheesy cheesy cheesy

Bros...many innocents died. No way that they were all BH.

Anyway, very sad stuff.

1 Like

Re: 185 Killed As Boko-Haram Fights With JTF by sunch(m): 2:20am On Apr 22, 2013
Good riddance to bad nonsense.
I wld love more of such invasion.
Kudos to Nigerian Army

4 Likes

Re: 185 Killed As Boko-Haram Fights With JTF by sunch(m): 2:24am On Apr 22, 2013
ekt_bear:

Bros...many innocents died. No way that they were all BH.

Anyway, very sad stuff.
if people in a neighbourhood could notice suspicious movement around them without making report, it wld be termed that they are also collaborator in this evil act.

28 Likes

Re: 185 Killed As Boko-Haram Fights With JTF by Roland17(m): 3:20am On Apr 22, 2013
A government that is yet to show any sign of commitment to the security of lives and properties of its citizens but is notorious for embezzling and massively corrupt officials is nothing but a shame to the nation.

#Nigeriansdeservebetter

1 Like

Re: 185 Killed As Boko-Haram Fights With JTF by engrlarex(m): 3:50am On Apr 22, 2013
nigeria WAY FORWARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!......... i dont think there would still be a country like nigeria which my father dreamt about...coz nigeria is now a divisive state.

1 Like

Re: 185 Killed As Boko-Haram Fights With JTF by GeneralJ(m): 4:25am On Apr 22, 2013
I HATE ISLAM

57 Likes

Re: 185 Killed As Boko-Haram Fights With JTF by Nobody: 4:48am On Apr 22, 2013
How credible is this source? We need credible source to verify the authenticity of the report. The mere mentioning of Associated Press is not sufficient.

@Op..,look for credible sources to corroborate the report. 185 people dead is not 185 goats dead and should not be toyed with.

1 Like

Re: 185 Killed As Boko-Haram Fights With JTF by ayoola2002(m): 5:07am On Apr 22, 2013
GeneralJ: I HATE ISLAM
GeneralJ: I HATE ISLAM

I HATE U.
I HATE UU.
I HATE UUU.

11 Likes

Re: 185 Killed As Boko-Haram Fights With JTF by EKONGKING: 5:23am On Apr 22, 2013
Nigeria fighting 'kills scores' in Baga

Much of Baga was destroyed in fires

Intense fighting between the military and Islamist militants in north Nigeria is reported to have killed at least 185 civilians and destroyed 2,000 homes.

Rocket-propelled grenades and heavy gunfire bombarded the remote town of Baga near the border with Chad for hours on Friday evening, government and military officials say.

Nigeria faces a long-running insurgency in its predominantly Muslim north.

The Boko Haram insurgency has left thousands of people dead since 2009.

'Markets burnt'
Residents of Baga fled into the bush and only returned on Sunday afternoon to find much of the town destroyed and human and animal corpses strewn through the streets.

One local journalist said this marked a significant escalation in the insurgency in the area, with the militants using heavier weapons than in previous attacks.

Residents said most of the bodies had been burned beyond recognition in blazes that had destroyed much of the town.

One resident, Bashir Isa, told Associated Press: "Everyone has been in the bush since Friday night; we started returning to town because the governor came.

"To get food to eat in the town now is a problem because even the markets are burnt. We are still picking corpses of women and children in the bush and creeks.''

Boko Haram wants to carve out an Islamic state across a swathe of Nigeria.

Its name in the local Hausa language means: "Western education is forbidden".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-22243834
Re: 185 Killed As Boko-Haram Fights With JTF by ektbear: 5:37am On Apr 22, 2013
sunch:
if people in a neighbourhood could notice suspicious movement around them without making report, it wld be termed that they are also collaborator in this evil act.

Well, if drug dealers operated in my neighborhood, I don't think anyone would think too poorly of me if I decided not to get involved in stopping them. Especially if they know where I live, know my house specifically, are armed and dangerous (as drug dealers usually are), etc.

Ever heard of the phrase "snitches get stitches?" Not sure if it applied to the Nigerian context, but it very well may.

Long story short, innocent bystanders may have legitimate reasons for not getting involved. Especially if the cost of getting involved is the Nigerian army turning your village into a war zone and wiping out nearly 200 of you sad

7 Likes

Re: 185 Killed As Boko-Haram Fights With JTF by austinsmat(m): 5:42am On Apr 22, 2013
i like the way army is fighting now, hit them hard both boko and co.

5 Likes

Re: 185 Killed As Boko-Haram Fights With JTF by alnaijiri(m): 5:50am On Apr 22, 2013
The Muslim North Nigeria will not continue tobe humiliated by the Crusader government of the South. This is a wakeup call to all who think the Muslims of the North will be subjugated quietly.

However, I weep for the innocent victims. Can't there be a less blood-thirsty way to liberate our land from the unbelievers? Allah knows best.

3 Likes

Re: 185 Killed As Boko-Haram Fights With JTF by stjudas(m): 5:56am On Apr 22, 2013
Allahu akbar...... Allah may u guide ur own as they fight against those who fight against Islam. Thanks for protecting ur mosque.
Re: 185 Killed As Boko-Haram Fights With JTF by alnaijiri(m): 5:56am On Apr 22, 2013
Make no mistake, the BH fighters are misguided and are committing unIslamic atrocities. But EVERY Nigerian Muslim, from Lagos to Katsina, must feel stirred to the soul by the violence that strikes our land. What was it to provoke Muslim youths to such barbarism. Was it a primal cry to defend Islam and our noble way of life passed on to us by our fathers but now under threat from the unspeakable filth of Nigerian (South-dominated) mainstream culture, a culture of wanton greed, of corruption, of adultery, of inhumanity, and above all of delusions.

3 Likes

Re: 185 Killed As Boko-Haram Fights With JTF by Nobody: 6:05am On Apr 22, 2013

4 Likes

Re: 185 Killed As Boko-Haram Fights With JTF by birdman(m): 6:13am On Apr 22, 2013
I dont think Nigerians fully understand what it means to lose 180 people from the same village. Try imagining this happening in your hometown... the number of your loved ones lost and the ripple effect is unimaginable. What kind of country does this to its own people? And some people are still singing for one Nigeria - lets see how loud you sing when the boots invade your neck of the woods.

4 Likes

Re: 185 Killed As Boko-Haram Fights With JTF by stjudas(m): 6:13am On Apr 22, 2013
nedu2000: Secure our borders & military administrators imposed in the most heated states,politics shouldn't be played with people's lives.....GEJ should provide results,simple!!!if he can't,he shouldn't give excuses,let him leave so we can someone who can
Pls, don't be an isi ewu!!!!! GEJ has got no business with what is happening in the north. One man already vowed to make the nation ungovernable....... Hahaha, now its a boomerang. Let the blood of the innocent continue to fill the streets so they have a taste of what happened in Odi in 1999 which they found funny. Let the fight continue, even they can choose to launch nuclear warheads, i don't give a Bleep..... All I need do is tune to AIT and watch the level od destruction they've suffered from the south. I'd also love to see women disemboweled, children die from hunger and starvation, and businesses brought to a halt. Every southerner can remain in the north at his own peril.....

7 Likes

Re: 185 Killed As Boko-Haram Fights With JTF by Ejine(m): 6:16am On Apr 22, 2013
They remind me of the Hamas terrorists in the Gaza strip who hide in neighborhoods to fire their missiles at Israel, only for them to cry out when the Iron Dome returns the favor by smoking out that neighborhood in a couple of minutes.

If you really believe within yourself that your cause is not a stupiid one, then I see no reason why you should foolishly hide under innocent people to commit your atrocities instead of facing your enemy head-on.

And some shameless politicians still have the nerve to tell us Boko Haram is similar to MEND.

Similar in what sense? By fighting to protect your land from the injustice and inhumane exploitation it's gone through as opposed to trying to ISLAMIZE the entire country for no apparent reason?

Bastaards.

24 Likes

Re: 185 Killed As Boko-Haram Fights With JTF by Ejine(m): 6:22am On Apr 22, 2013
alnaijiri: Make no mistake, the BH fighters are misguided and are committing unIslamic atrocities. But EVERY Nigerian Muslim, from Lagos to Katsina, must feel stirred to the soul by the violence that strikes our land. What was it to provoke Muslim youths to such barbarism. Was it a primal cry to defend Islam and our noble way of life passed on to us by our fathers but now under threat from the unspeakable filth of Nigerian (South-dominated) mainstream culture, a culture of wanton greed, of corruption, of adultery, of inhumanity, and above all of delusions.

How exactly are you 'defending' your land by trying to invade other people's land in a bid to force your barbaric religion on them? "Islamizing the entire Nigeria"?

What phucking bullshiit are you talking about, you evolution-neglected caveman?

Seondly, if you feel your way of life is being invaded by the South-dominated mainstream culture, why not do the country a phucking favor, secede today, proudly embrace your polio, Lassa fever, cholera, VVF and NOMA (flesh eating bacteria), and leave us the hell alone?

30 Likes

Re: 185 Killed As Boko-Haram Fights With JTF by stjudas(m): 6:24am On Apr 22, 2013
nedu2000: Secure our borders & military administrators imposed in the most heated states,politics shouldn't be played with people's lives.....GEJ should provide results,simple!!!if he can't,he shouldn't give excuses,let him leave so we can someone who can
Pls, don't be an isi ewu!!!!! GEJ has got no business with what is happening in the north. One man already vowed to make the nation ungovernable....... Hahaha, now its a boomerang. Let the blood of the innocent continue to fill the streets so they have a taste of what happened in Odi in 1999 which they found funny. Let the fight continue, even they can choose to launch nuclear warheads, i don't give a Bleep..... All I need do is tune to AIT and watch the level od destruction they've suffered from the south. I'd also love to see women disemboweled, children die from hunger and starvation, and businesses brought to a halt. Every southerner can remain in the north at his own peril.....

1 Like

Re: 185 Killed As Boko-Haram Fights With JTF by Nobody: 6:26am On Apr 22, 2013
We are still picking corpses of women and children in the bush and creeks.'
This story is concocted from a previous one jor...most likely during the ND insurgency else which type of bush and creek do they have in Borno?

5 Likes

Re: 185 Killed As Boko-Haram Fights With JTF by stjudas(m): 6:28am On Apr 22, 2013
Actually, Buhari is making his place ungovernable and not Nigeria.

13 Likes

Re: 185 Killed As Boko-Haram Fights With JTF by Les: 6:33am On Apr 22, 2013
This ppl are not killing themselves as much as I want.... Let the blood flow, mr Bokos and mr armies....

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

We Are Battle Ready For Ballot Box Snatchers, Army Says / "it Is Really Bad": Nigerians Go Hungry As Food Inflation Soars / Sanusi: N197bn Went Missing In Jonathan's Administration Every Month

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.