Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,411 members, 7,812,219 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:13 AM

Canadian Federal Skilled Worker Program-timelines Here - Travel (301) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Canadian Federal Skilled Worker Program-timelines Here (827868 Views)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here / Canada Freezes Federal Skilled Worker Program / Australian Immigration Visa GSM- Share Your Application Process Timelines (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (298) (299) (300) (301) (302) (303) (304) ... (322) (Go Down)

Re: Canadian Federal Skilled Worker Program-timelines Here by waleprizu: 9:21pm On Aug 03, 2015
This is for those asking about IELTS tips. I will write all I can below (Pardon the writing for being chaotic).

The first thing I did was to get the Cambridge Official Guide to IELTS (picture attached). The book is amazing and it contains all the tips you need to ace the test. Try to lay your hands on the book and study everything from cover to cover. Make sure you outline and strengthen your weakness(es).

Listening: For the listening exam, solve as many practice tests as possible. Also, you can improve your listening abilities by downloading different IELTS apps on your phone (android, iOS, Windows OS etc). Some apps have radio stations from different countries (Canada, England, Australia etc). This will attune you with the different accents. On the exam day, try as much as possible not to get distracted. If you miss an answer, don't waste time trying to ponder over it. Just go straight to the next question. Also, be wary of punctuation when writing down your answers in the listening section. On the test day, make sure you pre-read the question when they ask you to. Try to read the instructions and understand the maximum/minimum words required for each section. I'm not sure about the operating procedure for each centers. For my exam, I studied with earphones and I did the listening exam with loudspeakers (in an enclosed room). I was distracted and didn't answer 2 questions. I also made a mistake not to ask for a walkman/earphones which I was told that they would have provided if I asked.

Reading: For the reading, remember that the answers are in the passage (actually you just need to lift them verbatim from the passage except you're doing the true/false/not given or multiple choice section). Try to read the first 3-4 questions before reading the passage. Read slowly and try to answer without using common sense. Actually, my weaknesses are the true/false/not given section and using common sense to answer questions. Try to avoid that. If you have enough time, start with studying the Academic reading section (even though it is unnecessary) before approaching the General Training Section. It will make this section a lot more easier for you.

Writing: I didn't study for the writing part because I thought it should be intrinsic to my subconscious after writing several technical reports in the last few months (I also didn't have the time to study). However, try to write clearly and legibly within the box on the exam day. It's actually better to use pencils than pens. Time is a huge factor here, the first part should take approximately 20mins and the second part should take around 40mins. For the first part (letter writing), remember the different tricks and formalities for writing a formal, semi-formal and an informal letter. For example, ending an informal letter with 'yours faithfully' should be avoided. Learn the rudiments of paragraphing and try to put your thoughts into pen and paper quickly. Strengthen your vocabulary and avoid repetitions. Check online for sample IELTS letters and essays. Lastly, after each paragraph, count the number of LINES (not words) and assume that you write an average of 8-12 words per line depending on how tiny or big your handwriting is. For example, if you assume that you write about 10words per line, you should have at least 16-18 lines (160 - 180 words) for the letter writing. Do the same for the essay writing part.
Note: the minimum no of words for the first part and second part of the writing section are 150 and 250 words respectively.

Speaking: For this part, remember that your English speaking ability is being tested and it has nothing to do with how vast or intelligent you are (avoid arguments also). Be fluent and try to speak SLOWLY and steadily. We all tend to speak very fast if we are passionate about a topic. It's a trap, please avoid it. The mistake I made was that I didn't study at all for the speaking part too (I spent the 4days on Reading and listening). For the part two of the speaking test, I was asked to speak for about a topic for 1-2 mins. I spoke very fast for a little above one min and stopped before being asked by the examiner to continue (this is not a good sign). Try to speak calmly until you are interrupted by the examiner. There's no penalty for speaking beyond the time limit. Ironically, I learnt about the skills for the speaking test after seeing my results (I was worried about the score). I later stopped worrying when I found out that I got a CLB 10 in all section which is the maximum.

Those are my two cents about acing the IELTS. Try to have a target score and work towards it.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Canadian Federal Skilled Worker Program-timelines Here by Ekpekus(m): 9:30pm On Aug 03, 2015
Chukky77:
HELLO HOUSE.

IF THEY SAY THEY NEED UPDATED BACKGROUND DECLARATION WITH ORIGINAL SIGNATURE DOES IT MEAN I SHOULD SIGN IN THAT SECTION WE WERE ORIGINALLY NOT ASKED TO SIGN BEFORE THAT WE WILL BE ASKED TO SIGN BEFORE A REPRESENTATIVE. IS GHANA OFFICE THE REPRESENTATIVE?
There is a column for signature and date before the section where you are advised to leave vacant as it will be signed before a representative.
And again please check if the said form has been updated cos CIC do update the forms from time to time.
wishing you all the best as you update your application. I hope this help
Re: Canadian Federal Skilled Worker Program-timelines Here by waleprizu: 9:33pm On Aug 03, 2015
akanni:
team, for the EE, i heard someone mention that you can indicate all provinces but when I tried,it says select one province, how does one go about this please? I am trying to put someone through in completing the express entry form ie the first step on the cic page.Thanks

Hi Akanni! I started filling my EE profile online and I was able to indicate three of the provinces. I know that depending on the province(s) you choose, you may be asked some (Yes/No) question about allowing some particular province (I'm sure about Ontario) to access your EE profile. Click on check for completeness after indicating the provinces and see what happens.

1 Like

Re: Canadian Federal Skilled Worker Program-timelines Here by Nobody: 9:40pm On Aug 03, 2015
@waleprizu...good one! Do u feel that only the two u didn't do got u the 8.5 in Listening or u could have failed any other u did put sth down?
Re: Canadian Federal Skilled Worker Program-timelines Here by akanni(m): 9:58pm On Aug 03, 2015
waleprizu:

Hi Akanni! I started filling my EE profile online and I was able to indicate three of the provinces. I know that depending on the province(s) you should, you may be asked some (Yes/No) question about allowing some particular province (I'm sure about Ontario) to access your EE profile. Click on check for completeness after indicating the provinces and see what happens.
Thanks waleprizu,will check.
Re: Canadian Federal Skilled Worker Program-timelines Here by waleprizu: 11:40pm On Aug 03, 2015
ferdiii:
@waleprizu...good one! Do u feel that only the two u didn't do got u the 8.5 in Listening or u could have failed any other u did put sth down?

According to this link (http://www.examenglish.com/IELTS/IELTS_Band_Scores.html), you need to get 37-38 questions right to get a band score of 8.5. So,there's a possibility that I failed one more.
Re: Canadian Federal Skilled Worker Program-timelines Here by Nobody: 11:56pm On Aug 03, 2015
waleprizu:

According to this link (http://www.examenglish.com/IELTS/IELTS_Band_Scores.html), you need to get 37-38 questions right to get a band score of 8.5. So,there's a possibility that I failed one more.
OK.
Re: Canadian Federal Skilled Worker Program-timelines Here by Etfash(m): 8:43am On Aug 04, 2015
Good morning people.
I just paid my WES evaluation service charge; I have been given a reference number but, my bank account is yet to be debited.

Does WES delay to debit or is my Naira Mastercard not an acceptable vehicle to effect this payment?
Re: Canadian Federal Skilled Worker Program-timelines Here by berexio1: 9:35am On Aug 04, 2015
waleprizu:

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, I was asked to submit ALL subsequent post-secondary school degrees/documents. I have already sent my US transcripts/certificate to them. BTW, I'm not using WES for a variety of reasons (they are expensive, pathetic customer service, long processing time etc). Instead, I am using ICAS of Canada which is one of the officially designated organization for CIC-ECA.
ICAS?? Mehn, you are in for a very long wait oo..
Re: Canadian Federal Skilled Worker Program-timelines Here by Nobody: 11:40am On Aug 04, 2015
berexio1:
My thought exactly... the manner he rubbished WES made me typeless.

2 Likes

Re: Canadian Federal Skilled Worker Program-timelines Here by Diamondmirror: 2:35pm On Aug 04, 2015
i will appreciate your assistance

waleprizu:
Do we have anyone on this thread who is still trying to ace the IELTS? I studied for about 4 days and I think I did fairly well.
I can give my 2 cents on how to approach the exam.

Secondly, has anyone (living outside Canada) tried applying for a PNP program? Can he/she give a brief summary of the process, name of Province, outcome etc. Do you need a job offer to apply for PNP? I have tried searching for answers to the questions but each provinces have different program/process and some answers are rooted in obscurity. I also do not mind being referred back to an earlier page. Thanks!
Re: Canadian Federal Skilled Worker Program-timelines Here by Diamondmirror: 2:45pm On Aug 04, 2015
pla where did you buy your cambridge guide?

waleprizu:
This is for those asking about IELTS tips. I will write all I can below (Pardon the writing for being chaotic).

The first thing I did was to get the Cambridge Official Guide to IELTS (picture attached). The book is amazing and it contains all the tips you need to ace the test. Try to lay your hands on the book and study everything from cover to cover. Make sure you outline and strengthen your weakness(es).

Listening: For the listening exam, solve as many practice tests as possible. Also, you can improve your listening abilities by downloading different IELTS apps on your phone (android, iOS, Windows OS etc). Some apps have radio stations from different countries (Canada, England, Australia etc). This will attune you with the different accents. On the exam day, try as much as possible not to get distracted. If you miss an answer, don't waste time trying to ponder over it. Just go straight to the next question. Also, be wary of punctuation when writing down your answers in the listening section. On the test day, make sure you pre-read the question when they ask you to. Try to read the instructions and understand the maximum/minimum words required for each section. I'm not sure about the operating procedure for each centers. For my exam, I studied with earphones and I did the listening exam with loudspeakers (in an enclosed room). I was distracted and didn't answer 2 questions. I also made a mistake not to ask for a walkman/earphones which I was told that they would have provided if I asked.

Reading: For the reading, remember that the answers are in the passage (actually you just need to lift them verbatim from the passage except you're doing the true/false/not given or multiple choice section). Try to read the first 3-4 questions before reading the passage. Read slowly and try to answer without using common sense. Actually, my weaknesses are the true/false/not given section and using common sense to answer questions. Try to avoid that. If you have enough time, start with studying the Academic reading section (even though it is unnecessary) before approaching the General Training Section. It will make this section a lot more easier for you.

Writing: I didn't study for the writing part because I thought it should be intrinsic to my subconscious after writing several technical reports in the last few months (I also didn't have the time to study). However, try to write clearly and legibly within the box on the exam day. It's actually better to use pencils than pens. Time is a huge factor here, the first part should take approximately 20mins and the second part should take around 40mins. For the first part (letter writing), remember the different tricks and formalities for writing a formal, semi-formal and an informal letter. For example, ending an informal letter with 'yours faithfully' should be avoided. Learn the rudiments of paragraphing and try to put your thoughts into pen and paper quickly. Strengthen your vocabulary and avoid repetitions. Check online for sample IELTS letters and essays. Lastly, after each paragraph, count the number of LINES (not words) and assume that you write an average of 8-12 words per line depending on how tiny or big your handwriting is. For example, if you assume that you write about 10words per line, you should have at least 16-18 lines (160 - 180 words) for the letter writing. Do the same for the essay writing part.
Note: the minimum no of words for the first part and second part of the writing section are 150 and 250 words respectively.

Speaking: For this part, remember that your English speaking ability is being tested and it has nothing to do with how vast or intelligent you are (avoid arguments also). Be fluent and try to speak SLOWLY and steadily. We all tend to speak very fast if we are passionate about a topic. It's a trap, please avoid it. The mistake I made was that I didn't study at all for the speaking part too (I spent the 4days on Reading and listening). For the part two of the speaking test, I was asked to speak for about a topic for 1-2 mins. I spoke very fast for a little above one min and stopped before being asked by the examiner to continue (this is not a good sign). Try to speak calmly until you are interrupted by the examiner. There's no penalty for speaking beyond the time limit. Ironically, I learnt about the skills for the speaking test after seeing my results (I was worried about the score). I later stopped worrying when I found out that I got a CLB 10 in all section which is the maximum.

Those are my two cents about acing the IELTS. Try to have a target score and work towards it.
Re: Canadian Federal Skilled Worker Program-timelines Here by waleprizu: 3:18pm On Aug 04, 2015
Diamondmirror:
pla where did you buy your cambridge guide?

I actually got it from Amazon. Ask around if you can also get it from local bookstores (or if someone is willing to lend you the book).
Re: Canadian Federal Skilled Worker Program-timelines Here by waleprizu: 3:52pm On Aug 04, 2015
ferdiii:

My thought exactly... the manner he rubbished WES made me typeless.
berexio1:

Thanks for your concerns. It's more of a dilemma and not me trying to deliberately ditch WES (although they still have terrible ratings http://www.consumeraffairs.com/education/world_education_services.html). I started a WES ICAP (Transcript, course by course) evaluation four yes ago. They received all my documents and verified my transcript from Nigeria. Later, they asked for my SSCE certificate which I sent to them (Even though they stated that it's optional). They later told me that they have sent it to WAEC for verification and WAEC asked them to pay before anything can be done. I contacted WAEC and I didn't get any response (I won't go into details about the horrendous and appalling service I got from WAEC). I also gave WES the option of sending a scratch card pin number to them for verification and they rejected the option. I was applying into PhD programs then and I had to send transcripts directly from Nigeria to the schools.

Fast forward four years later, I tried approaching WES to start my ECA since they have my transcripts but it was difficult for me to login because I have a profile with them. I called their customer service (they picked their call after trying for four days) and I was asked to send a message/email requesting for change of evaluation types through the 'contact us' service. I have sent about 4-6 different messages in a span of one month without getting any reply. My experience with WES was terrible - their customer service reps are uncouth and unprofessional. My current plan is to start with ICAS and not give up on WES too (even though it's very unlikely that I will get a reply from them).
Re: Canadian Federal Skilled Worker Program-timelines Here by zandora: 5:10pm On Aug 04, 2015
waleprizu:

Thanks for your concerns. It's more of a dilemma and not me trying to deliberately ditch WES (although they still have terrible ratings http://www.consumeraffairs.com/education/world_education_services.html). I started a WES ICAP (Transcript, course by course) evaluation four yes ago. They received all my documents and verified my transcript from Nigeria. Later, they asked for my SSCE certificate which I sent to them (Even though they stated that it's optional). They later told me that they have sent it to WAEC for verification and WAEC asked them to pay before anything can be done. I contacted WAEC and I didn't get any response (I won't go into details about the horrendous and appalling service I got from WAEC). I also gave WES the option of sending a scratch card pin number to them for verification and they rejected the option. I was applying into PhD programs then and I had to send transcripts directly from Nigeria to the schools.

Fast forward four years later, I tried approaching WES to start my ECA since they have my transcripts but it was difficult for me to login because I have a profile with them. I called their customer service (they picked their call after trying for four days) and I was asked to send a message/email requesting for change of evaluation types through the 'contact us' service. I have sent about 4-6 different messages in a span of one month without getting any reply. My experience with WES was terrible - their customer service reps are uncouth and unprofessional. My current plan is to start with ICAS and not give up on WES too (even though it's very unlikely that I will get a reply from them).

That's okay as long as you're willing to wait 6 months for ICAS evaluation. If I were you I won't give up on WES and only evaluate your Master's degree. You don't need your SSCE or Bachelor certifications assessed.

1 Like

Re: Canadian Federal Skilled Worker Program-timelines Here by Vek2015: 6:30pm On Aug 04, 2015
Hello All

Thanks everyone for yoour immense supports. I'm about to apply via EE but first i would like to clarify something regarding the NOC. The reason is that I work in a bank as a relationship manager, but I can't see any title related to my job title except NOC 0122(Banking, credit and other investment managers).

Should ones' job title tally with the job title on NOC list?

Kindly help
Re: Canadian Federal Skilled Worker Program-timelines Here by zandora: 6:37pm On Aug 04, 2015
Vek2015:
Hello All

Thanks everyone for yoour immense supports. I'm about to apply via EE but first i would like to clarify something regarding the NOC. The reason is that I work in a bank as a relationship manager, but I can't see any title related to my job title except NOC 0122(Banking, credit and other investment managers).

Should ones' job title tally with the job title on NOC list?

Kindly help

No your job title isn't important, what's important are your job duties.

1 Like

Re: Canadian Federal Skilled Worker Program-timelines Here by Vek2015: 6:59pm On Aug 04, 2015
Thank Zandora.

One more thing. While completing the form should one be accurate with the date? Like when i started secondary - I know it was in 1998 but can't remember the month.

Kindly revert

Regards,
Re: Canadian Federal Skilled Worker Program-timelines Here by Nobody: 7:06pm On Aug 04, 2015
waleprizu:

WES is still better in turn around time with few requirements.
Re: Canadian Federal Skilled Worker Program-timelines Here by ANBAKO: 7:07pm On Aug 04, 2015
Vek2015:
Thank Zandora.

One more thing. While completing the form should one be accurate with the date? Like when i started secondary - I know it was in 1998 but can't remember the month.

Kindly revert

Regards,

If there is no specific date on your certificate, I am definitely sure it will be sometimes around September if you studied in Nigeria. My advise is that you are consistent with your dates throughout the application process.

Good luck!!!
Re: Canadian Federal Skilled Worker Program-timelines Here by Kevinoh: 7:11pm On Aug 04, 2015
waleprizu:

Hello sir, did you sit for your IELTS exams here in Nigeria? I have noticed the examiners here in Nigeria seem to be a bit miserly with their marks. They just feel next to no one here deserves to make a CLB 10 across all bands.
Re: Canadian Federal Skilled Worker Program-timelines Here by zandora: 7:39pm On Aug 04, 2015
Vek2015:
Thank Zandora.

Kindly revert

Regards,

It's okay if you can't remember the exact month you started, just use the month you think it is so that when you calculate say for example the years spent in your secondary school it'll give you roughly 6 years and for your Bachelor's roughly 4 years. However for the end dates use the month and year on your certificates.
Re: Canadian Federal Skilled Worker Program-timelines Here by Humblega(m): 8:21pm On Aug 04, 2015
Immigration to canada reality.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Canadian Federal Skilled Worker Program-timelines Here by zandora: 9:28pm On Aug 04, 2015
Humblega:

Looooool
Re: Canadian Federal Skilled Worker Program-timelines Here by twaj: 9:55pm On Aug 04, 2015
Etfash:
Good morning people.
I just paid my WES evaluation service charge; I have been given a reference number but, my bank account is yet to be debited.

Does WES delay to debit or is my Naira Mastercard not an acceptable vehicle to effect this payment?

Dear All, how can I pay for WES evaluation....can I use Gtbank Master card and how...Thanks
Re: Canadian Federal Skilled Worker Program-timelines Here by WoodcrestMayor(m): 4:49am On Aug 05, 2015
Hello bro.When did you put in your application?
Thank you.
Chukky77:
HELLO HOUSE.

IF THEY SAY THEY NEED UPDATED BACKGROUND DECLARATION WITH ORIGINAL SIGNATURE DOES IT MEAN I SHOULD SIGN IN THAT SECTION WE WERE ORIGINALLY NOT ASKED TO SIGN BEFORE THAT WE WILL BE ASKED TO SIGN BEFORE A REPRESENTATIVE. IS GHANA OFFICE THE REPRESENTATIVE?
Re: Canadian Federal Skilled Worker Program-timelines Here by chineloSA(f): 5:12am On Aug 05, 2015
Humblega:
grin grin grin
Re: Canadian Federal Skilled Worker Program-timelines Here by Humblega(m): 6:27pm On Aug 05, 2015
Summary of CIC mid-year repots in bar and pie chats

Re: Canadian Federal Skilled Worker Program-timelines Here by akogun007: 8:19pm On Aug 05, 2015
akogun007:

I attached my marriage certificate and wife's passport data page in the first CSE

Thanks Tola73 and Kart042000. AVO finally responded to the new CSE logged with required documents

Application for Permanent Residence in Canada [IMM 0008]
Schedule A: Background/Declaration [IMM 0008 SCHEDULE A]
Additional Family Information form [IMM 5406]
Payment of the Application for Permanent Residence Fee for your spouse if he is accompanying.
Copy of State issued birth certificate for your spouse
4 passport photos of spouse
Copy of passport data page for your spouse.
Copy of your marriage certificate.

I just received an email from AVO this afternoon for my wife's medical examination.

Thanks guys for the advise.
Re: Canadian Federal Skilled Worker Program-timelines Here by kart042000(m): 9:47pm On Aug 05, 2015
akogun007:

Thanks Tola73 and Kart042000. AVO finally responded to the new CSE logged with required documents

Application for Permanent Residence in Canada [IMM 0008]
Schedule A: Background/Declaration [IMM 0008 SCHEDULE A]
Additional Family Information form [IMM 5406]
Payment of the Application for Permanent Residence Fee for your spouse if he is accompanying.
Copy of State issued birth certificate for your spouse
4 passport photos of spouse
Copy of passport data page for your spouse.
Copy of your marriage certificate.

I just received an email from AVO this afternoon for my wife's medical examination.

Thanks guys for the advise.

Congrats bro
Re: Canadian Federal Skilled Worker Program-timelines Here by ejirostephen(m): 7:38am On Aug 06, 2015
Good day my very good people. Please I need an urgent clarification. I am already swimming in the pool but, sincerely i have been applying for pnp and job offer to boost e.e point. None of the 2 has yielded result up till now. On a second thought, I decided applying to a cost-less university in Canada and continue my e.e things once admitted. Unfortunately, all univ. require the gmats/gre for admission to my field. Now I am thinking of applying to a college for post-graduate diploma (PGD). Note, not ordinary college diploma. I already have an MBA in business field though. These are my questions;

1. Will one be able to secure canadian student visa easily going by the above as compared to a university?
2. Is it compulsory i make first semester remittance from nigeria before i get letter of acceptance?
3. Is there any difference between letter of acceptance and offer letter? If yes, which of them is a requirement at the embassy.
4. Lastly, the account balance expected by the embassy for a student visa, is it to contain * Your total tuition fee or * Tuition + other fees.

Would appreciate succinct responses.
Re: Canadian Federal Skilled Worker Program-timelines Here by unibadan(m): 8:32am On Aug 06, 2015
ejirostephen:
Good day my very good people. Please I need an urgent clarification. I am already swimming in the pool but, sincerely i have been applying for pnp and job offer to boost e.e point. None of the 2 has yielded result up till now. On a second thought, I decided applying to a cost-less university in Canada and continue my e.e things once admitted. Unfortunately, all univ. require the gmats/gre for admission to my field. Now I am thinking of applying to a college for post-graduate diploma (PGD). Note, not ordinary college diploma. I already have an MBA in business field though. These are my questions;

1. Will one be able to secure canadian student visa easily going by the above as compared to a university?
2. Is it compulsory i make first semester remittance from nigeria before i get letter of acceptance?
3. Is there any difference between letter of acceptance and offer letter? If yes, which of them is a requirement at the embassy.
4. Lastly, the account balance expected by the embassy for a student visa, is it to contain * Your total tuition fee or * Tuition + other fees.

Would appreciate succinct responses.

Kindly visit this thread- https://www.nairaland.com/2367106/travelling-canada-part-8/315#2367106.10100

The thread is about those that wants to study in Canada.

cheers!

(1) (2) (3) ... (298) (299) (300) (301) (302) (303) (304) ... (322)

UK Skilled Worker Visa / Health And Care Worker Visa / Qualified Teacher Route / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 20

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.