Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,006 members, 7,814,428 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 12:44 PM

The Dangers Of Drinking Soda, Energy Drinks, Coke Or Mineral Water - Health (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / The Dangers Of Drinking Soda, Energy Drinks, Coke Or Mineral Water (67334 Views)

Energy Drinks Cause High Blood Pressure, Doctor Warns / Mixing Alcohol With Energy Drinks Can Raise Risk Of Heart Problems / American Soda And Nigerian Soft Drinks(coke, Fanta, Ect), Which Has More Sugar (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Dangers Of Drinking Soda, Energy Drinks, Coke Or Mineral Water by thaoriginator: 6:07pm On Aug 09, 2013
My guy here dey take like 99 bottles of coke daily starting from as soon as he wakes up and brush his teeth... I don taya for am, na water sure pass jooor!
Re: The Dangers Of Drinking Soda, Energy Drinks, Coke Or Mineral Water by Ominiriches(m): 6:17pm On Aug 09, 2013
how the companies go take make their money na? He get one boi were name Aboki in Unical were dey consume 111 bottles in 2days. And the guy where dey sele am dey make am well.
Re: The Dangers Of Drinking Soda, Energy Drinks, Coke Or Mineral Water by rodeo0070(m): 6:22pm On Aug 09, 2013
Ate247: Soon there would b dangers of drinking water
Of course, there are dangers of taking water excessively. Its called WATER INTOXICATION (Dilutional
Hyponatremia). Its not common though...
Google it...
Re: The Dangers Of Drinking Soda, Energy Drinks, Coke Or Mineral Water by biafranqueen: 6:22pm On Aug 09, 2013
Do you know any 70 year old that looks like this. Her husband is mistaken for her grandfather.

My Auntie died of diabetes and so did my mother in law. I know more elders in my village with diabetes then ones that don't have. My mother (whom still drinks sugar free soda cry) has diabetes and refuses to kick the habit. After my Auntie died (she drank 3-4 a day) I kicked the habit. I mostly drink water or mint tea that I grow. I lost 28 lbs after leaving it alone so I just want to share what I learned from research and experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6oJA_xhTa8

Re: The Dangers Of Drinking Soda, Energy Drinks, Coke Or Mineral Water by biafranqueen: 6:30pm On Aug 09, 2013
Rooneyboy: Nice write up dear, indeed, the rate @ which people consume these drinks is so frightening.

My twin bro and elder sis are total addicts,(taking @least a bottle of coke each time they have a meal)
I don't know how to talk them into coming out of this deadly habit.

.......Why I'm even more frightened is because diabetes challenges runs in the family.
Mine too my grandmother who just turned 103 is my inspiration she hardly ever drink anything but water and she only have a little stiffness in her knee. My father(her son) still walks on treadmill every day does not drink soda and eats correct he has no health problem and looks 20 years younger then his age. My mothers and sister are a different story cry Thank God I am the last born and was able to see the effect of healthy vs non-healthy. Yes we all die one day but don't want to end my life giving myself shots, taking pills or getting dialysis which is a terrible way to live the end of your life. Plus who wants to leave children with hospital bills or waste your savings giving it to doctors for injections and drugs undecided
Re: The Dangers Of Drinking Soda, Energy Drinks, Coke Or Mineral Water by biafranqueen: 6:36pm On Aug 09, 2013
emmysenior: These days, water does it for me. No need for gaseous substances in my system henceforth.

I even discovered that foods with preservatives are generally dangerous. Fresh and unadulterated foods/meats (chickens, not in cans, but live ones. And even meats) no beef too....

Even instant rumens (noodles) i.e indomie are dangerous to health too... I also learnt they cause cancer and kidney disease too, cos of the percentage of sodium and other harmful chemicals in em
You are very correct Indomie has loads of sodium and too much salt cause high blood pressure. Some people will be complaining of headache stomach problem this one that one when you tell them to stop eating it they will get irritated with you. My sisters cook with maggie and salt and wonder why they have high BP they drink soda everyday complain of over weight and wonder why after 3 children my body is slimmer then when I played sports in school. Anything in can is loaded with salt to preserve it and make it last a long time.
Re: The Dangers Of Drinking Soda, Energy Drinks, Coke Or Mineral Water by biafranqueen: 6:40pm On Aug 09, 2013
greatgod2012: WATER still remain the best and most healthy drink to take anytime, anywhere.

Yesoo end of story
Re: The Dangers Of Drinking Soda, Energy Drinks, Coke Or Mineral Water by biafranqueen: 6:41pm On Aug 09, 2013
Lilimax: @ OP- nice write up and very educating.
Thanks luv kiss
Re: The Dangers Of Drinking Soda, Energy Drinks, Coke Or Mineral Water by biafranqueen: 6:43pm On Aug 09, 2013
Balkan: Man must die of one thing
For me I rather die natural then give all my life saving to doctor and hospital
Re: The Dangers Of Drinking Soda, Energy Drinks, Coke Or Mineral Water by biafranqueen: 6:45pm On Aug 09, 2013
rodeo0070: GARRI Water remains the best "beverage" so far. Ever Energizing and soothing. I wonder why its not bottled...
This idea might make you a million dollars00 wink
Re: The Dangers Of Drinking Soda, Energy Drinks, Coke Or Mineral Water by jayR17(m): 6:45pm On Aug 09, 2013
Very soon researchers will say water equally causes health problems,abegi

1 Like

Re: The Dangers Of Drinking Soda, Energy Drinks, Coke Or Mineral Water by Jodasy: 6:48pm On Aug 09, 2013
Gud write up.i hav stopped takin tea with sugar since 2006 and soft drink since 2011.Remeber what you eat has great effect on your health

1 Like

Re: The Dangers Of Drinking Soda, Energy Drinks, Coke Or Mineral Water by Cynsky76(f): 6:56pm On Aug 09, 2013
Make una hear am.ndi mmadu
Re: The Dangers Of Drinking Soda, Energy Drinks, Coke Or Mineral Water by biafranqueen: 6:59pm On Aug 09, 2013
P.Stacks:

I think moderation is the Key word here! He hasn't said you shouldn't take sugar at all, and he hasn't called any sugar company's name.. 8 cubes of sugar in a soft drink is rather on the high side.. These are our actions that generates reaction in the body, unfortunately nobody wants to be responsible for their actions and forgetting that there's no such thing as a free lunch no where.. We either use our hands to make or mar ourselves..
There's sugar in almost all our staple foods, so y add more sugar thru un-necessary soft drinks?.. A word is enough for the wise tho! Nice article @op
Your absolutely right thanks, I notice that people will drink Ovaltine and add 3 or more sugar cubes, shocked with out sugar it already has 9 grams of sugar undecided
Re: The Dangers Of Drinking Soda, Energy Drinks, Coke Or Mineral Water by Nobody: 7:02pm On Aug 09, 2013
Joe50: i dont even like minerals, cos anytime i take it my stomach boils.

i take also alot of water cos is healthier than those junks.

Na hot mineral you dey drink?
Re: The Dangers Of Drinking Soda, Energy Drinks, Coke Or Mineral Water by kacheezy: 7:03pm On Aug 09, 2013
But a chilled bottle of coke still make sense under this hot Naija sun...
Re: The Dangers Of Drinking Soda, Energy Drinks, Coke Or Mineral Water by biafranqueen: 7:06pm On Aug 09, 2013
Jodasy: Gud write up.i hav stopped takin tea with sugar since 2006 and soft drink since 2011.Remeber what you eat has great effect on your health
Thank you I have stop drinking soft drink since 2001 and my tea is plain since then too, who wants to grow older taking drugs everyday or shooting yourself with drugs just for food/drink Eat to live is my motto. Forget about what others say, they should not take our word for it just look inside your own elders that share the same blood check they habits and their health and take if from there.
Re: The Dangers Of Drinking Soda, Energy Drinks, Coke Or Mineral Water by kacheezy: 7:07pm On Aug 09, 2013
biafranqueen: Mine too my grandmother who just turned 103 is my inspiration she hardly ever drink anything but water and she only have a little stiffness in her knee. My father(her son) still walks on treadmill every day does not drink soda and eats correct he has no health problem and looks 20 years younger then his age. My mothers and sister are a different story cry Thank God I am the last born and was able to see the effect of healthy vs no-healthy. Yes we all die one day but don't want to end my life giving myself shots or getting dialysis which is a terrible way to live the end of your life.
But you can still be hit by a bus or blown to smithereens by Boko Haram bombs...
Re: The Dangers Of Drinking Soda, Energy Drinks, Coke Or Mineral Water by biafranqueen: 7:25pm On Aug 09, 2013
Ishilove: What of malt drinks? Are malt drinks safe?
I am not sure, never did research on it, but if it fizzes when you pop it this is what it does to your body
After just ten minutes, 10 teaspoons of sugar hit your body, 100% of the daily recommended
dose. You do not immediately vomit from the overwhelming sweetness because the
Phosphoric acid in the drink cuts the taste.

After twenty minutes, t he level of sugar in your blood erupts, forcing a rush of insulin. The liver responds by turning all the sugar it receives into fat.

After forty minutes, the caffeine absorption is complete. Your pupils dilate, blood pressure
r ises, the liver responds by pumping more sugar into your bloodstream. Adenosine receptors in the brain are now blocked, preventing drowsiness and giving you an energy rush.

After 45, the body increases dopamine production stimulating the pleasure centers. This same process takes place with the consumption of heroin, for example.

50 minutes. The phosphoric acid binds calcium, magnesium and zinc in the intestine,
increasing the metabolism. High doses of sugar and artificial sweeteners also increase
Calcium excretion in the urine, or in other words, you are urinating your bones away, one of
the causes of Osteoporosis( weak bones you know how you will see elders bent over.

60 minutes: One hour after consuming. The caffeine's diuretic properties come into play. You urinate. Now it is guaranteed that will be putting out of your system calcium, magnesium and zinc, which your bones need. As time goes on, you'll experience a sugar crash. You'll be cranky. You will already have flushed everything that was in the drink, but also essential properties which your body needs.

Then you’ll reach for another one. As for me I plan to keep looking younger then my age, like the women in the video. To each they own.

Re: The Dangers Of Drinking Soda, Energy Drinks, Coke Or Mineral Water by Phikom(m): 7:31pm On Aug 09, 2013
Blessmira: Drink responsibly. Dats all! smiley
abi ooo
Re: The Dangers Of Drinking Soda, Energy Drinks, Coke Or Mineral Water by othuskyTM(m): 7:43pm On Aug 09, 2013
biafranqueen: When ever you visit someones house the first thing they offer you is soda/mineral water. These drinks are harmful to your health and researhers have linked them to Kidney problems. These sugary drinks also contribute to diabetes/sugar disease. Every single person I know that has diabetes or kidney problems consumed these drinks daily. On top of soda some even consume beer and other alcoholic beverages which further strains your kidney. I was astonished on seeing the amount of sugar people put in tea and pap All of these take a toll on your body. Please live to eat not eat to live mumu is not live to eat rather eat to live

Back to soda and energy drinks I have pointed out dangers and added credible articles below:

Type 2 Diabetes
Owing to the presence of large amounts of sugar, soda pop beverages and energy drinks are capable of increasing the risk of developing type 2 diabetes in individuals. Since obesity and diabetes are related to each other, obese people consuming soft drinks on a daily basis are susceptible to develop insulin resistance. When a can of soft drink is consumed, sugar is directly poured into the blood stream and the pancreas has to produce more insulin to metabolize the sugars. Long-term consumption reduces the insulin-producing capacity of the pancreas, thus disrupting the regulation of sugars in the body, ultimately leading to diabetes.

Kidney Problems
Studies suggest that consumption of soda pop also leads to the development of kidney problems like reduced kidney function and kidney stones. Researchers inferred that women who drank more than 2 cans of diet soda everyday had reduced kidney function over a time span of 20 years, which was thrice the rate of reduction in women who did not consume it. Formation of kidney stones is triggered by the depletion of calcium from bones, leading to the formation of calcium stones in the kidneys.

Cardiovascular Problems
Obese and diabetic individuals who do not control the intake of soda pop are highly susceptible to develop cardiac problems like high blood pressure, arrhythmia s, and other vascular problems. Studies have also revealed that people who consumed only one can of diet soda per day had 20 percent increased risk of suffering a heart attack over a time span of 22 years. This shows that heart problems are not particular to sweeten or diet soda pop, and can occur with excessive intake of any of these.

Caffeine Addiction
Caffeine, being a mild stimulant, brings about a feeling of well-being when consumed. Since it is a component of soda pop, people consume significant quantities of it when they drink 3-4 cans of the beverage every day. Daily consumption of soda develops into an addiction due to caffeine's mild addictive nature, and people start suffering from withdrawal symptoms like headache, irritation, etc., when the daily dose is not consumed.

Occasional consumption of soda pop, in moderation, may not pose any health risk. However, the extent to which people have started consuming these beverages nowadays is a big reason to worry. Youngsters fall for soda pop due to its great taste, but unknowingly drag themselves towards several health problems. Awareness of these dangers must be spread to people all over, and sessions must be held to teach people how to stop drinking soda pop. Few measures like drinking water or other substitutes, like iced tea, juice or flavored water frequently, will curb the desire to drink soda pop and take a person towards the healthy path of life.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/05/18/health/jampolis-dangers-drinking-soda
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2181290/Having-seen-evidence-I-dont-touch-fizzy-drinks-Frankly-theyre-evil.html
http://www.kidneyfailureweb.com/kidney-failure-diet/167.html
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/25/health-risks-energy-drinks_n_2009529.html
Re: The Dangers Of Drinking Soda, Energy Drinks, Coke Or Mineral Water by Fash20: 7:48pm On Aug 09, 2013
SAY NO TO EXCESS INTAKE OF CARBOHYDRATE grin

1 Like

Re: The Dangers Of Drinking Soda, Energy Drinks, Coke Or Mineral Water by Adagba1: 7:48pm On Aug 09, 2013
Enough of all these dont drink this,dont drink that,dont eat that,if you want to listen to them you will end up not drinking anything.Let them close coca cola,indomie,malts companies.I know of somebody who have never taken sugar before yet he is diabetic.Take whatever drinks satisfies you(not kai kai) Anything can kill somebody.
Re: The Dangers Of Drinking Soda, Energy Drinks, Coke Or Mineral Water by Annibiteye: 7:56pm On Aug 09, 2013
All u pple saying wetin una go dey drink, I adviced you to go for water. Somebody said water is not sweet. Don't you know that it is sweet things that kills? At 35yrs, one should desist totally from taking sugary foods. If u're close to 35, start cutting down your sugar intake now, so that it will be easy to totally abstain from such as from 35yrs. It only requires self discipline. A word is enough for the wise. Live heathy!

1 Like

Re: The Dangers Of Drinking Soda, Energy Drinks, Coke Or Mineral Water by Adagba1: 8:00pm On Aug 09, 2013
greatgod2012: Most times, some people think they're enjoying their lives when they take to drinking all these sugary drinks, not knowing that they're only dragging themselves to health problems.
May God help us o
abegiii make we hear word,una no go die one day?
Re: The Dangers Of Drinking Soda, Energy Drinks, Coke Or Mineral Water by bebechuks: 8:02pm On Aug 09, 2013
True talk,tanks for these.
Re: The Dangers Of Drinking Soda, Energy Drinks, Coke Or Mineral Water by dgysoft(m): 8:11pm On Aug 09, 2013
And i quit smokking. Praise Jehovah
Re: The Dangers Of Drinking Soda, Energy Drinks, Coke Or Mineral Water by AjCityOne: 8:25pm On Aug 09, 2013
Okimski: One day one of these companies will charge you to court for discouraging its consumers. Everyday we see different articles of don't take this, don't take that. Yet there is also implications of not consuming sugar at all in the body. The advise should be don't take it often. If we don't take it who will?

My friend no one asked you not to have a little bit of sugar in your system but these are bad sugar and there are great ways to consumer good sugar into your system which you can get from fruit and vegetables. And just so know, the consumption of sugary drinks have dropped 7 percent in last 10 years and still counting. And my personal prediction is that soon there will be warning signs on sugary drinks label in the near future. Remember how the whole thought smoking cigarette was fashionable. Well I think sugary drinks is on the same dangerous level as cigarette because they both posed dangerous and toxic harm to human body. And thanks to the person that posted the origin article because my people do need to wake up and realize the danger of these things.
Re: The Dangers Of Drinking Soda, Energy Drinks, Coke Or Mineral Water by Nobody: 8:27pm On Aug 09, 2013
HARDDON: could it really be true?

the more men know, the more problem(fear) they create?

how come our great great grand parents knew none of all these and their average life expectancy was way higher than what we got today even with our discoveries et all?

Did your 'great great grand parents' drink coke?
Re: The Dangers Of Drinking Soda, Energy Drinks, Coke Or Mineral Water by imarena(f): 8:37pm On Aug 09, 2013
moderation is key.Enough said!
Re: The Dangers Of Drinking Soda, Energy Drinks, Coke Or Mineral Water by olumentain: 8:45pm On Aug 09, 2013
I think the truth need to be said too much of fried food or preservation of food are part of things that course Cancer

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Pastor Prosper Obum Igboke Commits Suicide, Jumps Down Storey-Building / My Fiancée Has Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS), She Is Always In Pains / Panic As Nigerian Lady Leaves Suicidal Notes On Facebook

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.