Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,277 members, 7,811,826 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 08:25 PM

Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? (25119 Views)

Italian Based Nigerian Stranded In The Village As Ladies Refuse To Marry Him / When Your House-help Is Straight From The Village (hilarious Photo) / For Ladies Who Grew Up In The Village. Did You Do This (picture) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by s3nn2x(m): 5:57pm On Sep 19, 2013
Amelian: Pls lemme ask a question, what if the parents are late ....both mum and dad? Is it also compulsory to do it in the villa , head by extend families? undecided
my father died last year, and my mother is not even from my state, but my sister did her traditional wedding in the village. The good thing is that virtually all my parent's siblings are based in Lagos. So we are familiar with them. BTW, we don't even go home regularly, it was my father's burial that took us to the village last year.
Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by nneh1(f): 6:02pm On Sep 19, 2013
Chillisauce:

Our tradition states I be with my husband. To love and cherish cheesy grin....

I can do the traditional any where I want. In my dictionary, safety first! Am very uncomfortable with security men with guns posing as a body guards for such occasion, the main thing is the church wedding.

Tradition ko, tradition ni....one thing I understand in life is that you reap what you sow. You did yours in the small city, in 20yrs ur daughter might do hers without inviting you after all she must love and cherish her husband and live with her husband.
As long as my present famile came for my wedding..I couldn't careless about fvck tradition. tongue

Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by Nobody: 6:03pm On Sep 19, 2013
Nwa Anambra: look at this retard. u and ur family were banished from ur godforsaken village, that was why u did ur trad wedding in ur shiitty base.

I don hear eh! We are banished. EOD.

Niw go and massage ur small p rick.

1 Like

Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by Nobody: 6:05pm On Sep 19, 2013
D thread don enter front page., small small cockroaches have come to roast cheesy.

Oya make haterz begin chop my s hit!
Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by eagleeye2: 6:17pm On Sep 19, 2013
stillwater:

People like you. cheesy

I don't live my life by what culture dictates, tufiakwa. It is how it pleases me and what's convenient for my guests when that day comes. If that is too hard for people like you to understand in the 21st century, please beg the forces that be to spit you back to 1656 BC.
It is only an Efulefu, that talks like this..... you should have begged the gods to create you as a alian

4 Likes

Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by akpomeme(m): 6:30pm On Sep 19, 2013
Phiozy: Please I need an answer ASAP. My cousin is getting married soon, and this has been bothering her seriously. She happens to be Igbo, but with a mother from Kwara state(yoruba).

The children are very close to their mother who despite being married to an Igbo man, despises the Igbos(especially Umu village). Unfortunately, they(my cousins) were all born and brought up in the North, and they understand yoruba only, depise Igbos too, and have never being to the village.

Now my cousin is getting married(to a yoruba man) and wants her wedding(white and traditional) here in Abuja, but the dad insists that they must do the traditional marriage in the village or no traditional marriage at all.

I've asked friends around and they said it depends on the village, tradition and her position in the family(1st or 2nd daughter), and luckily for her, she happens to be the second(the 1st daughter who married a yoruba man too, also had same issue, but only did an introduction in form of Traditional marriage and a court marriage here in Abuja).

Although I'm an Ada, grew up in Abuja, but have no problem doing mine in the village if that be the case(maybe because I schooled in the East).

But Please I would like to know, is it COMPULSORY for an Igbo lady to do her traditional marriage in the village?

Nope...mine was done and dusted in Lagos. The logistics of taking friends and family on bad road and riskingeverything else kept guyz in Lagos. Had to beg my inlaws sha.

1 Like

Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by odohokechukwu(m): 6:41pm On Sep 19, 2013
vivianc: Ama m nke mga ekwu kita oputa okwu grin grin Most igbos wey dey do their trad for mba (outside) no get strong kinsmen relationship, or them no even dey in good terms with their kinsmen.

According to our culture, no be only the parents get the daughter.

So if you father no get umunna, it would be easier for you to do your trad na mba.
gbam! "Oya amago nkakwu"

1 Like

Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by ejiyke2007(m): 6:53pm On Sep 19, 2013
go to your village
Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by Okeikpu(m): 6:55pm On Sep 19, 2013
All dis children wey dem born outside d land too dey fall hand angry dem just dey turn our culture upside-down....

1 Like

Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by Okeikpu(m): 7:02pm On Sep 19, 2013
debrief08:

Biko, what is fake about Abuja marriage abeg? I got married in Abuja should I go and redo it in a village?
you did what in abuja , ur traditional marriage ?angry y not in ghana ?
Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by COOLDUN: 7:03pm On Sep 19, 2013
Chillisauce:

Our tradition states I be with my husband. To love and cherish cheesy grin....

I can do the traditional any where I want. In my dictionary, safety first! Am very uncomfortable with security men with guns posing as a body guards for such occasion, the main thing is the church wedding.

Tradition ko, tradition ni....
As long as my present famile came for my wedding..I couldn't careless about fvck tradition. tongue

There are two people you may represent if you are an Igbo, one is OSU and the other one is UME, if you are not from either of these two outcasts, then your family is EFULEFU. It is only people from these two outcasts that rush their marriages outside their villages. And Online.

For the girl in question, i don't blame her for choosing to marry in the township. I lived most of my life in Yoruba towns, then i discovered that the main Yorubas don't marry from Kwara because they see them as Yoruba OUTCAST. So their mother knows why she married their father and why she is preaching hatred to their minds towards their kinsmen.

I am a full born Igbo man, never an OSU nor UME, i am advising the husband to be of this girl in question to ask deeply of the origin of this girl before you marry a wife that will make your kinsmen to outlaw you, if really you are an Igbo man. Unless you are the same cast with her, because they say that the birds of same feathers flock together.

My fellow real Igbo men/women, The Igbu bu Igbos, please think twice when a girl/man rushes you to do your marriage in the township, be careful so that you will not buy Taiwan goods in the name of American goods. Just an advice.

No reasonable fellow would ever dump her/his kinsmen all in the name of security reason; there is no country with 100% security free. Not all that glitters is gold o, this Igbo girl with Kwara mother is so doubtful to me. I will never marry OSU/UME even if i am POPE FRANCIS. My parents are never OSU/UME, and i will never make that mistake. Religion apart.

We all know our roots. Thank you all. if you married online, then expect your corpse to be buried online too.Nonesesense

2 Likes

Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by Orikinla(m): 7:04pm On Sep 19, 2013
Only among primitive people in Nigeria.
Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by manny4life(m): 7:06pm On Sep 19, 2013
yellowpawpaw: If I were the guy, I will back off. Love will not make me to marry a gal that hates her root. That's how we will give birth to children that will equaly hate mine eventually.
Mcheeew to Abuja marriage. So fake.

Gbam.

Proper Igbo man, regardless of how exposed or traveled or learned someone is, they MUST return home. Our culture and tradition remains the same.

1 Like

Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by Okeikpu(m): 7:08pm On Sep 19, 2013
Phema:

Such a myopic view! Like seriously? What is wrong in one having her trad wedding in her father's base? Be it Abuja, USA or London. Does that have anything to do with the sustainability of that marriage? And yes! Some people hate their roots for some reasons best known to them. How does that make them bad husbands/wives? I know you are just ranting cos they mentioned Ibo.

OP, if your friend's father insists that the wedding must be in the Village, there is really nothing your friend can do. Let her just keep all her hatred for now, do her wedding and then go back to hating the villa again.
(-,-)
Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by pazienza(m): 7:10pm On Sep 19, 2013
Vivian said it all. Nne dalu,you put a smile on my face with that your post.
Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by pazienza(m): 7:12pm On Sep 19, 2013
Orikinla: Only among primitive people in Nigeria.

What exactly are you trying to say?
Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by unmask: 7:14pm On Sep 19, 2013
what the eff is it with traditional marriages and even burials........

What is the use of traditional marriage anyways....get a judge and get married for the women its better, that way your husband won't throw you out at a whim.....customs my foot.....

Is the dowry and all the others going to your God in heaven? Isn't it going to one god or the other.....

Only God can bless your union whether you do 1million trads, it won't matter

so if the lady says she doesn't want to go to the village, what happens the papa refuses to give her out in marriage?......I trust the gal nah she knows her stock is drying out fast, so when she sees a mugu willing to waste his life by getting married she won't want to let go

life na jeje o......u can't serve God and serve mammon.....

Jesus' blood has deleted all those from our lives

shikena
Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by bukatyne(f): 7:15pm On Sep 19, 2013
Are we having this discussion in 2013? Lol!

2 Likes

Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by Nobody: 7:16pm On Sep 19, 2013
eagle,eye:

wetin you think say be traditional wedding?
You think that dancing and eating is traditional wedding? SMH
Chai.... the paying of bride price or dues as you labelled it, is the traditional wedding..... and the money (no matter how small or big) is collected in the village. Other things you decide to do after that is Jara.

When my best friend got married, d villagers demanded she holds a ceremony! She vehemently refused, together with her Dad who is a titled chief, so they grudginly obliged... So you see why I said that? Some people go just pin okoro say them must chop pounded yam for ya head!! grin
Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by pazienza(m): 7:17pm On Sep 19, 2013
omonnakoda: I believe the OP is Ibo as all Ibos identify with one village or the other(Umunna Tinz grin) .Not all Nigerians are from a village though

Yea,in a part of Nigeria, west to edo state,everybody there hail from a city,as they all claim to be lagosians,even those from mud house infested jungles.

3 Likes

Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by Nobody: 7:17pm On Sep 19, 2013
eagle,eye:

It is only an Efulefu, that talks like this..... you should have begged the gods to create you as a alian

Better an alien than a tribal police, lol.
Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by asagal(f): 7:17pm On Sep 19, 2013
yellowpawpaw: If I were the guy, I will back off. Love will not make me to marry a gal that hates her root. That's how we will give birth to children that will equaly hate mine eventually.
Mcheeew to Abuja marriage. So fake.

God bls U my broda..
My fiance insists we mst hv ours in my villa wn I jokingly said we wr gonna hv it in town
n he jst snapped.. wt r u hidin
no mata wt fellas, neva neglect umunna.it may seem lik u dnt nd dem nw bt in tym 2 kom u go knw hw far!!!

1 Like

Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by pazienza(m): 7:20pm On Sep 19, 2013
bukatyne: Are we having this discussion in 2013? Lol!

Why do we still talk of queen of England in 2013?

4 Likes

Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by Nobody: 7:21pm On Sep 19, 2013
Chillisauce: D thread don enter front page., small small cockroaches have come to roast cheesy.

Oya make haterz begin chop my s hit!

Ahh no wonder tribal warlords have invaded the family section, lol.
Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by pazienza(m): 7:23pm On Sep 19, 2013
claremont: It's a good thing I didn't get married to my Igbo ex, so I would have been compelled to go all the way to her remote village for the traditional?!

Nonsense and backward culture.

You are a backward fellow,condeming what you know nothing about,that's the hallmark of backwardness.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

What Is The Appropriate Age To Register A Child In School? / 14 Year Old Boy Jailed For Killing Step Mother's Chicken / How To Make Vegetable Soup With Bitter Leaves And Water Leaves.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.