Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,334 members, 7,811,975 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:37 AM

Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? (25127 Views)

Italian Based Nigerian Stranded In The Village As Ladies Refuse To Marry Him / When Your House-help Is Straight From The Village (hilarious Photo) / For Ladies Who Grew Up In The Village. Did You Do This (picture) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by bukatyne(f): 7:27pm On Sep 19, 2013
pazienza:

Why do we still talk of queen of England in 2013?

What is the correlation between your post and mine?

Culture is a way of life of a group of people over time. Culture is dynamic and evolves. Culture is made for man and not the other way around.

Everyone does whatever rocks their boats jare
Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by Okeikpu(m): 7:27pm On Sep 19, 2013
vivianc: Ama m nke mga ekwu kita oputa okwu grin grin Most igbos wey dey do their trad for mba (outside) no get strong kinsmen relationship, or them no even dey in good terms with their kinsmen.

According to our culture, no be only the parents get the daughter.

So if you father no get umunna, it would be easier for you to do your trad na mba.
Ada nne don finish d whole matter.... All dis pple dat doesn't know their root, just gather here dey talk nonsense grin

1 Like

Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by pazienza(m): 7:33pm On Sep 19, 2013
tchidi:

When my best friend got married, d villagers demanded she holds a ceremony! She vehemently refused, together with her Dad who is a titled chief, so they grudginly obliged... So you see why I said that? Some people go just pin okoro say them must chop pounded yam for ya head!! grin

Lies. Nobody in Igboland force anybody to spend more than his ability,in the name of traditional wedding ceremony. What happens is that there is this silent competition going on,where shallow people try to outdo each other in the name of traditional marriage. Once you pay the dowry and everyother thing that comes with it,you are good to go.

1 Like

Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by Okeikpu(m): 7:35pm On Sep 19, 2013
eagle,eye:

I believe the father of the bride caused all this wahala in the first place, by thinking that 'Ala bu otu' and not bothering to bring his children home to acclamatize. Now marriage bells have started and he is insisting on trad in the village.
God forbid it, if that man dies his chilrdren may consider burying him in the cemetery instead of bringing his corpse to the village.
You just put a smile on ma face.. gringringrin
Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by pazienza(m): 7:37pm On Sep 19, 2013
bukatyne:

Culture is a way of life of a group of people over time. Culture is dynamic and evolves. Culture is made for man and not the other way around.

Of what use is queen of England to england in this modern era,why haven't they scrapped their monarchy totally,since according to you,culture should be dynamic?

3 Likes

Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by cinche(m): 7:41pm On Sep 19, 2013
Now listen , my young sis did her wedding last month .we are from delta .my parent are there .trad was done in deltsa desapite. All of us despising that . But @ the long run it turned out to be a succeess . Like somebody said ,d fada plays that divine role, we pleaded with him to have it in ibadan where all of us were born . He said no . But one tin stands out envelope urself with d blood of Jesus .for a smoth trad wedding
Lastly I want to say it always good we embrace our culture , our identity .it stands us out .

1 Like

Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by Okeikpu(m): 7:43pm On Sep 19, 2013
eagle,eye:

Are you Igbo? If yes,
did your Father/mother commit 'Aru' in your village?
If No. Then wetin dey pursue you from villa?
Eagle eye ga eji onu gbu mmadu dis place grin grin
Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by Arysexy(m): 7:44pm On Sep 19, 2013
Awakulowo: I don't know what a Yoruba woman is doing with ibo man ajokuta ma mu omi. Pls do your wedding in the North or any place outside ibo land.

"ibo summarily means Homo-Vandalism"

Amadioha nuke u with thunder and lightening. Anu mpama! Ewu Ogbomosho!

4 Likes

Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by Nobody: 7:45pm On Sep 19, 2013
pazienza:

Of what use is queen of England to england in this modern era,why haven't they scrapped their monarchy totally,since according to you,culture should be dynamic?

You dey mind them (Nigerian women especially) ?

Anybody except the Queen and her family is a 'commoner' grin but our own dey rubbish their own culture in name of 21st century.

**It's either you are for it or against it.... No need foaming from two sides of your mouth.

Ish

4 Likes

Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by Arysexy(m): 7:45pm On Sep 19, 2013
Awakulowo: I don't know what a Yoruba woman is doing with ibo man ajokuta ma mu omi. Pls do your wedding in the North or any place outside ibo land.

"ibo summarily means Homo-Vandalism"

Amadioha nuke u with thunder and lightening. Anu mpama! Ewu ekiti!

1 Like

Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by Afam4eva(m): 7:47pm On Sep 19, 2013
pazienza:

Why do we still talk of queen of England in 2013?
Nice response...It's only primitive if it's done by Africans.

4 Likes

Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by Nobody: 7:53pm On Sep 19, 2013
bukatyne:

My dear you are busy speaking big grammar. You already know that not everyone can discern deep concepts.

The same hypocrites that will balk at the idea of a woman staying at home while her husband cares for her are the same ones that want to embrace all culture with wide open arms. Funny as heck!

1 Like

Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by Afam4eva(m): 7:59pm On Sep 19, 2013
bukatyne:

It beats me why it's only Nigerian and African culture that is evolving. I'm yet to see other cultures taking something from Africa. We're always the ones on the receiving side.
Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by Trendy4gud(f): 8:04pm On Sep 19, 2013
Singing in the words of Rasta..."if you know your his-to-ry, you know where you're coming from..."

Isi nwa afo Igbo anaghi ato n'mba. Onye juru umunne/umunna ya ka ihe aƱuri mere, o buzi na ozu ka o ga a cho ha? Ndi na-agba nkwu na mba ozo aƱughijighi mmiri ara afo.

All these are effects of negligence of culture because I believe the West whom we tend to emulate also have their deep rooted cultures which generationally transcends over the centuries.

O gini ka a na-ekwudi ihe a? In as much as I believe in aculturation & civilization, I can't detest my root. Ubochi nkem ga-adikwa behuuge! na kpokponge! n'obi be nnam maka na a bu m nwa afo. A gutaghi ya n'akwukwo.

4 Likes

Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by Nobody: 8:10pm On Sep 19, 2013
Afam4eva:
It beats me why it's only Nigerian and African culture that is evolving. I'm yet to see other cultures taking something from Africa. We're always the ones on the receiving side.

^^ Abeg don't mix apples with oranges ... Nigerians adopt & practice other people's concepts without extremity like their life depend of it. * Feminism, Christianity for example

I've been attending the cultural Festival for over 15 years and I'm yet to see from other 30something other countries change their presentation except Nigerians.

Abeg what correlation is laying fallow at home while another person slave away has with respecting culture undecided ? Last time I checked even in archaic times , women go to farm and be productive while the men do the hunting.
Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by emmaebi: 8:15pm On Sep 19, 2013
angryIt is not compulsory , but it is necessary embarassed
Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by Awakulowo: 8:16pm On Sep 19, 2013
Arysexy:

Amadioha nuke u with thunder and lightening. Anu mpama! Ewu ekiti!
Asiwere ni e. Akpu has blocked your coco nut Head. Iran baba yin ni fi ipa ji obi lori ibu sun.
Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by Nobody: 8:19pm On Sep 19, 2013
Rotfl! All of a sudden men as breadwinners and women as homemakers is not a cultural concept anymore?

Lol! grin

Okay, since we have 'excluded' that one, how about polygamy? Osu system? Female circumcision? I'm hoping to hear firm support for not one, not two, but all of these since we must accept all of our culture and Nigerian culture must never change.

6 Likes

Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by Nobody: 8:40pm On Sep 19, 2013
The lady shouldn't hate her kinsmen. But come to think of it, why would some hungry men and women sit back expecting to feed fat on other's children to whom they contributed nothing to her upbringing? Hence the crazy dowry and other charges that makes it look like their daughter is being offered for sale.
Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by Nobody: 8:43pm On Sep 19, 2013
@Ileobatojo,

God bless you jare for your wonderful arguments on this thread.
May you live long, iseeeeee grin

I have been arguing many of the things same you are saying on this thread for years and doing that can get so tiring sometimes, honestly.
A person needs to have plenty of patience to deal with the blockheads in this country that have vowed to make sure the lot of females never improves.

Anyway I just came to commend you and give some words of encouragement for your good work on nairaland.

Keep it up smiley

2 Likes

Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by ladygogo: 8:52pm On Sep 19, 2013
ileobatojo: Rotfl! All of a sudden men as breadwinners and women as homemakers is not a cultural concept anymore?

Lol! grin

Okay, since we have 'excluded' that one, how about polygamy? Osu system? Female circumcision? I'm hoping to hear firm support for not one, not two, but all of these since we must accept all of our culture and Nigerian culture must never change.

@ile. well said! To the people comparing Us with the British Monarchy. Do you think Prince William would have married Kate Middleton(Commoner) if it were to be during the Industrial Revolution? abi why are you all following oyinbo man religion sef? Why you no dey worship Amadioha, obatala and sango? grin Now thats a good one.

1 Like

Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by Nobody: 8:54pm On Sep 19, 2013
Culture is not about the parties and funerals or when it's time to eat rice, akpu and goat meat. Culture is the way of life of a people. If you know you are not living your authentic culture per se, my friend let me hear word grin All what you are doing is remembrance not the practice itself. grin grin

Location of your wedding has absolutely nothing to do with whether you appreciate your culture or not. wink

4 Likes

Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by bukatyne(f): 8:58pm On Sep 19, 2013
pazienza:

Does scraping totally and evolving dynamically mean the same to you?

Is it how the British monarchy was that it is now?

Is kate from the royal family?
Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by Nobody: 9:02pm On Sep 19, 2013
obicentlis: It is the father that caused this poo. He married a woman that doesn't love his culture and transferred that hatred to her children. I pity the man, he will be buried in the city when he dies.

Lesson no. 1, always bring your kids home to get acquainted with your culture. Stop telling your kids lies about your village. Your root is your root,protect it.
Don't mind the man a real nwa afo Igbo will not marry ndi ofe m, no matter d pressure. It is a lesson to the intending to be ndi ofe m inlaws

3 Likes

Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by U90INDIVERSIT(m): 9:06pm On Sep 19, 2013
yellowpawpaw: If I were the guy, I will back off. Love will not make me to marry a gal that hates her root. That's how we will give birth to children that will equaly hate mine eventually.
Mcheeew to Abuja marriage. So fake.

U are on point jare!!! I admire u for saying this.....so so fake people all over the place....
Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by bukatyne(f): 9:07pm On Sep 19, 2013
ileobatojo:

My dear you are busy speaking big grammar. You already know that not everyone can discern deep concepts.

The same hypocrites that will balk at the idea of a woman staying at home while her husband cares for her are the same ones that want to embrace all culture with wide open arms. Funny as heck!

God bless NL and Nigeria!

Suddenly, we are all culture conscious!

From the people who don't know their dialect to those who can't speak it. Some don't own a piece of traditional clothing nor give their kids native names. Some even boast they do not eat local foods to importing pants from US.

I guess they all trek to their farms daily with their bubas and soros or choose 3rd wives for their husbands
Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by bukatyne(f): 9:10pm On Sep 19, 2013
Afam4eva:

So you think the where the world was in 1700 is the way it is save Nigeria?
Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by bukatyne(f): 9:13pm On Sep 19, 2013
jidegirl12:

You dey mind them (Nigerian women especially) ?

Anybody except the Queen and her family is a 'commoner' grin but our own dey rubbish their own culture in name of 21st century.

**It's either you are for it or against it.... No need foaming from two sides of your mouth.

Ish

Really?

I guess you have nothing against polygamy, female circumcision or wife battery and dehumanization.

Like you said, you are either for it or against it.
Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by Nten: 9:13pm On Sep 19, 2013
Ok, village is compulsory in traditional marriage
Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by Afam4eva(m): 9:13pm On Sep 19, 2013
bukatyne:

So you think the where the world was in 1700 is the way it is save Nigeria?
If i get your comment, i don't expect us to remain the way we were but our culture is gradually being eroded and in no distant future, the only thing that will be cultural about us, is our skin color. Let's take it jeje and also export our culture to other parts of the world and not always being the one importing.
Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by bukatyne(f): 9:17pm On Sep 19, 2013
Afam4eva:
If i get your comment, i don't expect us to remain the way we were but our culture is gradually being eroded and in no distant future, the only thing that will be cultural about us, is our skin color. Let's take it jeje and also export our culture to other parts of the world and not always being the one importing.

Which culture are we importing?
Re: Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? by meforyou1(m): 9:21pm On Sep 19, 2013
In my family in imo state, it is over compulsory. My sis and her husband had to come from uk, did d trand. And went and did court marriage in uk

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Its Our One Year Anniversary / Life With Two Stubborn Teenage Boys : My Experience. / Has Your Mum Priced Something In Your Presence & You Start To Pity The Seller?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.