Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,461 members, 7,816,082 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:10 AM

Why Do Churches Have Different Doctrines And Denominations? - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do Churches Have Different Doctrines And Denominations? (41617 Views)

Catholicism Doctrines And Its Biblical Root(debunking An Argument) / Why Do Churches Have Different Doctrines? Are We Not Heading Towards One Heaven? / Why Do Churches Pay Their Instrumentalists? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (32) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Churches Have Different Doctrines And Denominations? by Ukutsgp(m): 5:18pm On Oct 16, 2013
So where is mary now if she is not in the grave. Or she ressurected like Jesus abi? Stop deceiving yourselves. No one has ever said that he/she is alive forever more it is only Jesus the king of kings. Mary has never made that claims. Read your bible well.
And where do you see churches praying with their pastor's names? Liar.
Imagine me praying and calling on mary to help me beg God to answer my prayers when the name of Jesus can do wonders in my life. I just laugh u guys. It is really funny sha.
chukwudi44:

Did Timothy tell you that Mattew to Revelation is inspired by God or did he use the phrase "all scripture" .Who now told you that the letter of barnabas or acts of peter are not inspired?

To your other point.Yes I have seen other pastors praying for their congregation.Why didn't they allow them all to pray straight to Jesus? Why should he pray for them.

By the way who told you that Mary is no more? Where did you get that from?
So where is mary now if she is not in the grave. Or she ressurected like Jesus abi? Stop deceiving yourselves. No one has ever said that he/she is alive forever more it is only Jesus the king of kings. Mary has never made that claims. Read your bible well.
Imagine me praying and calling on mary to help me beg God to answer my prayers when the name of Jesus can do wonders in my life. I just laugh u guys. It is really funny sha.
Re: Why Do Churches Have Different Doctrines And Denominations? by Nobody: 5:23pm On Oct 16, 2013
Ukuts gp: So where is mary now if she is not in the grave. Or she ressurected like Jesus abi? Stop deceiving yourselves. No one has ever said that he/she is alive forever more it is only Jesus the king of kings. Mary has never made that claims. Read your bible well.
Imagine me praying and calling on mary to help me beg God to answer my prayers when the name of Jesus can do wonders in my life. I just laugh u guys. It is really funny sha. So where is mary now if she is not in the grave. Or she ressurected like Jesus abi? Stop deceiving yourselves. No one has ever said that he/she is alive forever more it is only Jesus the king of kings. Mary has never made that claims. Read your bible well.

stop pretending like you don't know what I am tking about!! Do you pastors pray for you ? Yes/no

BTW where did you read that Mary is in any grave?
Re: Why Do Churches Have Different Doctrines And Denominations? by okpurukata(f): 5:34pm On Oct 16, 2013
Enough digression and back to the topic. Why are there too many church denominations, competing and preaching different doctrines. If these catholic haters says they do not agree with the catholic church, fine. Why do they keep dis integrating. Is it that the same bible they claim that the Catholics don't know is further causing them confusion? I was just counting the number of Pentecostal churches on my street, almost 30 in number. Some of their pastors are even taking the selves to the police for one issue or the other bothering on competition. I wish one of these 'Bible Knowing Christians' can answer. Italo please keep off.
Re: Why Do Churches Have Different Doctrines And Denominations? by okpurukata(f): 5:40pm On Oct 16, 2013
I await an answer from Ukut. One female pastor near my house and her group breaks pure water satchets by 12 midnight at a t junction during their night vigils. They claim they are bible believing and as a catholic I don't know it. OPM in Port Harcourt has a programme called shoe blessing programme. They encourage people to collect sand from the alter and pour where they have problems. A friend told me how she collected the sand and poured in the land under contention by her husband and his brother. The husband's brother died shortly after wards. I told her to rejoice that she is now a killer. They also claim to be bible believing.

So why the continued branching and different Methods.
Re: Why Do Churches Have Different Doctrines And Denominations? by Enigma(m): 5:49pm On Oct 16, 2013
@okpurukata

Let me ask you a question (in fact I have more than one but I will ask just one for now). Please note that this is in an attempt for both of us to understand why we have different denominations and other problems.

Also please note that I will be most grateful to hear an answer that you have thought through yourself rather than one based on what any institution or body might have said historically.

Question:

Would you call any of the Baptist Church, the Anglican Church or the Methodist Church -- a Church?

{Please, kindly give reasons/explanation for your answer, thanks.} smiley
Re: Why Do Churches Have Different Doctrines And Denominations? by okpurukata(f): 6:05pm On Oct 16, 2013
Enigma: @okpurukata

Let me ask you a question (in fact I have more than one but I will ask just one for now). Please note that this is in an attempt for both of us to understand why we have different denominations and other problems.

Also please note that I will be most grateful to hear an answer that you have thought through yourself rather than one based on what any institution or body might have said historically.

Question:

Would you call any of the Baptist Church, the Anglican Church or the Methodist Church -- a Church?

But I asked a question first. But to answer yours, they are churches. Since they all claim to profess Christ. Now why so many denominations and ideology? I am unbiased.

Re: Why Do Churches Have Different Doctrines And Denominations? by okpurukata(f): 6:08pm On Oct 16, 2013
My earlier response did not show. I said I asked the question first. However the denominations you mentioned are all churches, since they claim to profess Christ. But why the continued dis integration. I am unbiased but a bit bothered by the perpetual branching.
Re: Why Do Churches Have Different Doctrines And Denominations? by Ukutsgp(m): 6:10pm On Oct 16, 2013
@ chukwudi. From where also did u read in the bible that she did not die?
Re: Why Do Churches Have Different Doctrines And Denominations? by Ukutsgp(m): 6:24pm On Oct 16, 2013
@okpurukata. Dont u know that many worship centres disguise themselve as church but they are shrine. U dnt nid a prophet to tell you that those churches are fake and satanic in disguise.

But i am most glad to tell you that where i worshipped do no such things.
Re: Why Do Churches Have Different Doctrines And Denominations? by okpurukata(f): 6:30pm On Oct 16, 2013
Ukuts gp: @okpurukata. Dont u know that many worship centres disguise themselve as church but they are shrine. U dnt nid a prophet to tell you that those churches are fake and satanic in disguise.

OKAy ooo.
Re: Why Do Churches Have Different Doctrines And Denominations? by Nobody: 6:30pm On Oct 16, 2013
Ukuts gp: @ chukwudi. From where also did u read in the bible that she did not die?
Italo has earlier given you the response.Go back and read

"He who lives and believes in me will never die."--Jesus Christ.

If Mary cannot pray for me why should your pastors pray for you
Re: Why Do Churches Have Different Doctrines And Denominations? by kcjazz(m): 6:48pm On Oct 16, 2013
okpurukata: Enough digression and back to the topic. Why are there too many church denominations, competing and preaching different doctrines. If these catholic haters says they do not agree with the catholic church, fine. Why do they keep dis integrating. Is it that the same bible they claim that the Catholics don't know is further causing them confusion? I was just counting the number of Pentecostal churches on my street, almost 30 in number. Some of their pastors are even taking the selves to the police for one issue or the other bothering on competition. I wish one of these 'Bible Knowing Christians' can answer. Italo please keep off.

The thread question is simple. Some folks have answered and there are no Catholic haters. The Bible talks about false prophets in the last days so why bother yourself over the pastors taking themselves to court?

No Christian will argue that every church is of God but most are, all we need is the gift of discernment. Again always remember the goal - the great commission.

Even in the Roman Catholic church, there are divisions past, present and future. Some the Church has taken responsibility and apologised (Read... Memory and Reconciliation, The Church and the past). In the USA there are churches still under RC with female priests, is that not division? Here in Nigeria, the Catholic Charismatics are always in trouble due to their perceived "pentecostal practices" . Recently a diocese rejected a new Bishop based on tribal sentiments. Do we now call them Devils cos of their disagreements?

The Bible says "For where two or three are gathered in My name, I am in there midst" -Matthew 18.20. Also where two or three are gathered disagreements happen. Let us avoid all this my church is better than yours arguments, the work is much. Focus!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Churches Have Different Doctrines And Denominations? by Ukutsgp(m): 6:52pm On Oct 16, 2013
Now tell me. Is it physical death or spiritual? Which one are u talking about.
U cant even find a bible verse to support ur claims. I pity u. Tell me, is mary physically alive to pray for you or not.

Another question. Tell me, if mary didnt pray for u wont God answer ur prayer if u pray urself directly to him through christ?
Read matthew 7:7-9. Why dnt u believe that when you pray urself God will answer you. Must it be mary, mary and mary?
Re: Why Do Churches Have Different Doctrines And Denominations? by italo: 7:48pm On Oct 16, 2013
Ukuts gp: @ chukwudi. From where also did u read in the bible that she did not die?

I dont think you have ever seen this verses.

John 11

25 Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; 26 and whoever lives by believing in me will never die. Do you believe this?”
Re: Why Do Churches Have Different Doctrines And Denominations? by italo: 7:50pm On Oct 16, 2013
Ukuts gp: @okpurukata. Dont u know that many worship centres disguise themselve as church but they are shrine. U dnt nid a prophet to tell you that those churches are fake and satanic in disguise.

Where do you worship, brother. So that we too might be saved.
Re: Why Do Churches Have Different Doctrines And Denominations? by Nobody: 7:55pm On Oct 16, 2013
Ukuts gp: Now tell me. Is it physical death or spiritual? Which one are u talking about.
U cant even find a bible verse to support ur claims. I pity u. Tell me, is mary physically alive to pray for you or not.

Another question. Tell me, if mary didnt pray for u wont God answer ur prayer if u pray urself directly to him through christ?
Read matthew 7:7-9. Why dnt u believe that when you pray urself God will answer you. Must it be mary, mary and mary?

If your pastors do not pray for you will God not answer your prayer? Why must it be pastor!! Pastor!! Pastor!!
Re: Why Do Churches Have Different Doctrines And Denominations? by italo: 7:57pm On Oct 16, 2013
kcjazz:

The thread question is simple. Some folks have answered and there are no Catholic haters. The Bible talks about false prophets in the last days so why bother yourself over the pastors taking themselves to court?

No Christian will argue that every church is of God but most are, all we need is the gift of discernment. Again always remember the goal - the great commission.

Even in the Roman Catholic church, there are divisions past, present and future. Some the Church has taken responsibility and apologised (Read... Memory and Reconciliation, The Church and the past). In the USA there are churches still under RC with female priests, is that not division? Here in Nigeria, the Catholic Charismatics are always in trouble due to their perceived "pentecostal practices" . Recently a diocese rejected a new Bishop based on tribal sentiments. Do we now call them Devils cos of their disagreements?

The Bible says "For where two or three are gathered in My name, I am in there midst" -Matthew 18.20. Also where two or three are gathered disagreements happen. Let us avoid all this my church is better than yours arguments, the work is much. Focus!

Please provide the names of these Churches. If you cant, would you kindly recant your statement.

We are not talking about divisions. That is not good but is to be expected.

We are talking about contradictory doctrines.

Can God's Church teach false doctrine?

Yes or no?
Re: Why Do Churches Have Different Doctrines And Denominations? by Ukutsgp(m): 8:10pm On Oct 16, 2013
Did i told you dat i pray through my pastor's names. @chukwudi
Re: Why Do Churches Have Different Doctrines And Denominations? by italo: 8:11pm On Oct 16, 2013
@ kcjazz,

To be honest, I'm not here to say my Church is better than your Church.

You probably have a "church" but I dont per say. I only belong to the ONE Church that Jesus founded 2000yrs ago on the apostles.

So I am here to say Jesus' Church is the ONLY Church. All other "churches" founded by men are the reason for the many contradictory doctrines.

Jesus Church cannot, for example, teach that homosexuality is a sin, yet teach that it is not a sin.

Please point out any wrong comment I have made before I continue.
Re: Why Do Churches Have Different Doctrines And Denominations? by Enigma(m): 8:12pm On Oct 16, 2013
okpurukata: My earlier response did not show. I said I asked the question first. However the denominations you mentioned are all churches, since they claim to profess Christ. But why the continued dis integration. I am unbiased but a bit bothered by the perpetual branching.

My dear sister, do you see now that between you and I and in our little single question and answer, we have already demonstrated at least how denominationalism can start!

You say that the Baptists, Anglicans, Methodists are Churches.

BUT some Roman Catholics, including at least three on this very thread, disgaree with you because they say that the Baptists etc are NOT Churches!

They will tell you that those people are only "ecclessial communities" or "Christian communities". And that is when they are being charitable! Otherwise they say those people are "religious institutions" or even "shops".

And you know why they do it? Because the Roman Catholic Church told them to. They cannot think for themselves.

My dear sis, I said I had more than one question but would only ask you one. I am now going to pose another question in a following post. I am going to direct it to woky because of some recent exchange between me and him.

Please let us together watch what happens after I ask him the question. smiley
Re: Why Do Churches Have Different Doctrines And Denominations? by italo: 8:14pm On Oct 16, 2013
Ukuts gp: Did i told you dat i pray through my pastor's names. @chukwudi

Did Chukwudi tell you that he prays in any name except God's?
Re: Why Do Churches Have Different Doctrines And Denominations? by Enigma(m): 8:18pm On Oct 16, 2013
@woky

Bros, I hope you will answer me one question. Again, this is meant to help us understand the causes of all this denominationalism.

Question:

Myself and two other friends believe in Jesus Christ as the Son of God and God the Son born of virgin Mary.We meet regularly to pray and sing hymns together. Would you call us brothers or would you call us "separated brethren"?

Re: Why Do Churches Have Different Doctrines And Denominations? by Enigma(m): 8:28pm On Oct 16, 2013
kcjazz:

Bros, forgive me but I am very curious! Are you a (Roman) Catholic?
Re: Why Do Churches Have Different Doctrines And Denominations? by kcjazz(m): 8:32pm On Oct 16, 2013
http://romancatholicwomenpriests.org/worshippingcommunity.htm

Please provide the names of these Churches. If you cant, would you kindly recant your statement.[b][/b]

This will do for now.
Re: Why Do Churches Have Different Doctrines And Denominations? by Bograd83(f): 9:52pm On Oct 16, 2013
Ukuts gp: Why do we have so many different doctrines in churches today? Is the bible not one? Is God not one?.

Some will say pay tithe others will say no need. Some will say ladies can wear trouser others will say ladies should not wear trouser. Some will say, ladies must cover their hair others will say ladies should not cover their hair in church. Some will say, there is hell other will say there is nothing like hell fire. Some will say God is three in one others will say God is only one. Some will say u can pray through mary and jesus others will say pray only through jesus christ. Some will say fast others will say no need to fast. Some will say the earth shall be turned into paradise other will say there is no such thing, that we will all leave earth to heaven in the last day. Some will say give your first fruit offering other will say there no need for that anymore. Some will say we should worship God only on saturday which is the sabbath day others will say it is on sunday we should worship God. Some will say no christmas others will say there is christmas. Some will say christians can marry more than one wife other will say they cannot. Some say you can wear earing and fix nails others will say you must not wear earing and fix nail(for ladies). Some say you can do blood transfusion and take drugs others say you cannot do blood transfusion and take drugs that all you need is to apply faith. etc.

Somebody tell me, is this not confusion?. Hw can we know the truth now. Or who have a clear answers to the above different doctrines peddles by different denominations today. I wonder sha!

God help me o.
d reason is cos d way every1 sees God so is d way dy serve Him. Bible is 1,&there's only 1 God but xtian of 2day are serving 3 gods-trinity wc is an idol dats anoda reason y we see diff doctrine
Re: Why Do Churches Have Different Doctrines And Denominations? by Bograd83(f): 10:02pm On Oct 16, 2013
Ukuts gp: Hw can d church b unified into one doctrine
it is posible u know is gathering his own pple 2geda. Dy ll believe dsame doctrine,d doctrine of Jesus -one Lord, 1 faith etc
Re: Why Do Churches Have Different Doctrines And Denominations? by Bograd83(f): 10:05pm On Oct 16, 2013
italo:

That's the problem. You know you are confused and you know that all these communities that people call "denominations" will only add to your confusion. YOU KNOW!

Yet the devil will not let you go into God's one true Church...and you allow him.

Jesus had so many controversial teachings which the Jews felt were contrary to scripture which are still under debate all over the world. E.g (whether Jesus is God or man; prophet or liar).

Do you see any similarities?
the word of God doesnt contradict itself. Its all abt getin d revelatn
Re: Why Do Churches Have Different Doctrines And Denominations? by Bograd83(f): 10:20pm On Oct 16, 2013
chukwudi44:
Italo has earlier given you the response.Go back and read

"He who lives and believes in me will never die."--Jesus Christ.

If Mary cannot pray for me why should your pastors pray for you
sorry if l interup. why mary?
Re: Why Do Churches Have Different Doctrines And Denominations? by Alwaystrue(f): 10:28pm On Oct 16, 2013
Different doctrines and divisions have been characterised right from the bible days.
Jesus is the way, the truth and the life and He is the Word of God who came to dwell in the flesh amongst us (John 1:14) full of grace and truth.
Any glorying that we should glory shoul only be in Jesus Christ and any pastor we should follow should be following Christ Himself just as Paul said follow him as he follows Christ, and the only way you can know who is following Jesus is by yourself knowing the word of God as spoken by Jesus

I Timothy 6:3-4
3 If any man teach otherwise, and consent not to wholesome words, even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to the doctrine which is according to godliness;

4 He is proud, knowing nothing, but doting about questions and strifes of words, whereof cometh envy, strife, railings, evil surmisings,

I Corinthians 1:11-13,30-31
11 For it has been made clear to me, my brethren, by those of Chloe’s household, that there are contentions and wrangling and factions among you.
12  What I mean is this, that each one of you [either] says, I belong to Paul, or I belong to Apollos, or I belong to Cephas (Peter), or I belong to Christ.
13  Is Christ (the Messiah) divided into parts? Was Paul crucified on behalf of you? Or were you baptized into the name of Paul?
30 But it is from Him that you have your life in Christ Jesus, Whom God made our Wisdom from God,
[revealed to us a knowledge of the divine plan of salvation previously hidden, manifesting itself as] our Righteousness [thus making us upright and putting us in right standing with God], and our Consecration [making us pure and holy], and our Redemption [providing our ransom from eternal penalty for sin].
31 So then, as it is written, Let him who boasts and proudly rejoices and glories, boast and proudly rejoice and glory in the Lord.

Apostle Paul was sent by Jesus like the other apostles to minister the gospel, same way your pastor is called to ministry so like the bereans who went to scriptures to confirm Paul's words, we are to also confirm the words we hear in scripture.
On the last day all of us including Paul, Cephas, Appollos, our pastors will stand before the Master Jesus to be judged by His Word that is infallible, Spirit and Life.
The ball is in your court. May the Spirit of God continually guide us in all truth.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Churches Have Different Doctrines And Denominations? by Ukutsgp(m): 10:44pm On Oct 16, 2013
Everyone knows that this mary doctrine is false. We are just on the mary issue and u are here blabbing. U cant even provide any verses of the bible to back up your baseless claims that we can pray through mary. All you are just saying is tales by moonlight. Dont you know that you people have many doctrines that contradicts the word of God? What if i bring the issue of bowing down to statue, the use of rosary, burning of incense, purgatory, baptism by sprinkling, baptism of infants and many more too numerous to mention which have no basis in the bible. Sometimes i even wonder if your so called church is a shrine.
Re: Why Do Churches Have Different Doctrines And Denominations? by italo: 10:57pm On Oct 16, 2013
kcjazz: http://romancatholicwomenpriests.org/worshippingcommunity.htm

Please provide the names of these Churches. If you cant, would you kindly recant your statement.[b][/b]

This will do for now.

Dear friend,

I want to assume that you are not aware that this group only deceptively refer to themselves as Catholics but are not.

Please read these links thoroughly and educate yourself more about this issue.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_Catholic_Womenpriests

www.catholic.org/national/national_story.php?id=45782

...then please recant your statement honourably.

God bless you.
Re: Why Do Churches Have Different Doctrines And Denominations? by italo: 11:00pm On Oct 16, 2013
Bograd83: d reason is cos d way every1 sees God so is d way dy serve Him. Bible is 1,&there's only 1 God but xtian of 2day are serving 3 gods-trinity wc is an idol dats anoda reason y we see diff doctrine

Oh! God the Father, Son and Holy Spirit are idols too?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (32) (Reply)

Reigners Church Building Collapse: I Don’t Want To Be A Bishop Again - Akan / What I Was Offered By An Occultist While Preaching In A Bus Park / Reverend Father Visits Fulani Herdsmen While Grazing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.