Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,563 members, 7,816,367 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:17 AM

Club-Lexus - Car Talk (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Club-Lexus (354010 Views)

Tokunbo Lexus Rx 300 Or Brand New Kia Rio 2014 / The Toyota / Lexus Hybrid Thread. / Guys, I Really Need Your Sincere Advice. Lexus RX300 Or Acura MDX ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (140) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Club-Lexus by kakameks: 6:39pm On Mar 09, 2015
This is a pix of the exhaust muffler after the weld. Sorry did not take pix b4.

Recall that i complained about my car's CD player and passenger A/C?

Well as for the CD i just discovered that it has reset itself. Though am yet to try it, still worried it might seize the disc again. B4 it does not respond to commands like eject or load and the disc door was permanently open. Now all those issues are gone. Will try the player this evening sha.

As for the A/C, This i fixed myself. I dismantled the glove box compartment and the cover to get access to the entire A/C unit under the dash board. I then saw the passenger air actuator that was the problem, i switched on the car and operated the temp. Control and discovered that the motor still rotates.
I then removed the unit and opened it to check to see if all the gears are in place (which they were). However on closer observation i found that a lever that connects the actuator to the A/C blend door (door that control cool and warm air mix ratio) was missing and after removing more panel in the leg area, i found the missing piece(thank God it did not break off ) i reconnected it fixed the actuator back crossed my fingers and tried the A/C and it WORKED!! After putting the car back together, i went to celebrate for fixing that problem all by my lonesome self!!

So if you have such AC issue, do and extensive research via google and youtube. Before buying replacement parts.

Re: Club-Lexus by kakameks: 6:54pm On Mar 09, 2015
Sorry no pix cos when i started i had no idea that i would fix it. I just wanted to remove the actuator to know what am to buy, thankfully the problem was not that bad and was an easy fix.

Next time am doing any other DIY jobs on my car, lots of pix will tell better.
Re: Club-Lexus by Bigflamie(m): 12:07pm On Mar 11, 2015
Please I don't know much about cars but I'll get one for myself before June.
I'm a bit confused on the car to purchase cos I don't want a car that gulps a lotta fuel, but I love Lexus Rx330, 350.
Please someone should enlighten me on their fuel consumptions.
Re: Club-Lexus by chukel(m): 5:39am On Mar 12, 2015
kakameks:

Well as for the CD i just discovered that it has reset itself. Though am yet to try it, still worried it might seize the disc again. B4 it does not respond to commands like eject or load and the disc door was permanently open. Now all those issues are gone. Will try the player this evening sha.

As for the A/C, This i fixed myself. I dismantled the glove box compartment and the cover to get access to the entire A/C unit under the dash board. I then saw the passenger air actuator that was the problem, i switched on the car and operated the temp. Control and discovered that the motor still rotates.
I then removed the unit and opened it to check to see if all the gears are in place (which they were). However on closer observation i found that a lever that connects the actuator to the A/C blend door (door that control cool and warm air mix ratio) was missing and after removing more panel in the leg area, i found the missing piece(thank God it did not break off ) i reconnected it fixed the actuator back crossed my fingers and tried the A/C and it WORKED!! After putting the car back together, i went to celebrate for fixing that problem all by my lonesome self!!

So if you have such AC issue, do and extensive research via google and youtube. Before buying replacement parts.
i know that feeling. when u engage in DIY and get good results. kudos
Re: Club-Lexus by Nobody: 7:24am On Mar 12, 2015
Bigflamie:
I'm a bit confused on the car to purchase cos I don't want a car that gulps a lotta fuel, but I love Lexus Rx330, 350.
read thru the whole of this thread and get enlightened.

2 Likes

Re: Club-Lexus by Nobody: 7:26am On Mar 12, 2015
kakameks:

See the big weld, chai na wa o! shocked. But I'm glad ur face is beaming with smile due to the duo puzzles solved by you yourself. Great testimony bro.
Re: Club-Lexus by Nobody: 7:51am On Mar 12, 2015
UPDATE: on monday, I finally met Emperoh, I was sooooo delighted to see a Nairalander of great repute, knowledgeable, young, successful yet humble.
We discussed lexus..... wink and we scanned..... cheesy he scanned my RX behold 2 DTCs showed up C1223& C1249 on further research, I discovered it is a stoplight switch. Located just under the brake pedal. Symptoms are VSC, ABS and TPMS lights which would come up then disappear when you restart the car. This malfunction is common in the entire lexus marque but does not pose any danger. However, my car hasn't displayed any such anomaly till date.

Yesterday, VSC and check engine light showed up and since no scanner again after unwillfully dashing out two good scanners embarassed ....I may have to snatch the scanner from my oga at the top lipsrsealed oga emperoh, calm down na joke I dey o grin

I finally did some DIY yesterday.... ATF and oil change, stabilizer linkage change..... Pictures below

The engine showing in the background is my highlander's.

Re: Club-Lexus by bravolad(m): 9:37am On Mar 12, 2015
Bigflamie:

Since fuel economy is your concern, I will advise you to stay away from the RX models. As I have always said, you will be highly disappointed if you go the RX way. The parts don't come cheap. There are other models that would guarantee good fuel economy to you such as a corolla, 4 cylinder Camry, yaris etc.

There is a great difference between your love for RX and the actual capacity to maintain it. You have to also weigh the long time cost of keeping the RX against your desire for a better fuel economy albeit cost of replacement parts.

@Lomomike, the stabilizer linkage of my RX330 is also bad and requires replacement. I have just been driving it like that while waiting to raise some money to be able to carry out some other repairs including the automatic headlight leveling system. The vehicle is smooth to drive, quiet and accelerate better than my 2004 Toyota Sienna with the same engine. My wife likes the feel of the car compared to the Sienna though she's still learning to drive.

1 Like

Re: Club-Lexus by demola9: 11:24pm On Mar 12, 2015
Hi, I stay in lag.i need a Lexus mechanic
Re: Club-Lexus by Emperoh(m): 7:59am On Mar 13, 2015
lomomike:
UPDATE: on monday, I finally met Emperoh, I was sooooo delighted to see a Nairalander of great repute, knowledgeable, young, successful yet humble.
We discussed lexus..... wink and we scanned..... cheesy he scanned my RX behold 2 DTCs showed up C1223& C1249 on further research, I discovered it is a stoplight switch. Located just under the brake pedal. Symptoms are VSC, ABS and TPMS lights which would come up then disappear when you restart the car. This malfunction is common in the entire lexus marque but does not pose any danger. However, my car hasn't displayed any such anomaly till date.

Yesterday, VSC and check engine light showed up and since no scanner again after unwillfully dashing out two good scanners embarassed ....I may have to snatch the scanner from my oga at the top lipsrsealed oga emperoh, calm down na joke I dey o grin

I finally did some DIY yesterday.... ATF and oil change, stabilizer linkage change..... Pictures below

The engine showing in the background is my highlander's.

Any weapon fashioned against my Scanner, i come against it. . . . . . . including weapons of unwillful dashing out. . . . choi!
Guys, Uncle Lomomike is a walking Lexus encyclopaedia. . . .i learnt quite a handful from my little time with him. Very unassuming as well. Looking all calm and calculated. I Couldn't believe this was the same guy delivering all these knowledge. Kudos to you bro. Here's to many more meetings and beers and fresh fish too grin grin grin

Nice one mate and keep the flag flying. Remember about our dreams for the GS350. . . . . . . grin grin

1 Like

Re: Club-Lexus by kakameks: 5:48am On Mar 14, 2015
I did a replacement for all my 2004 RX 330 tyres along with wheel balancing and rotation check. (2 bridgestone and 2 antres tyres), price no be here oooo for the bridgestone. Got the antres for 23500 not up to half of the bridgestone.

I observed the there was no pressure sensor in all the five tyres!! Just the normal valve, so i was wondering is it that the tyre pressure indicator on the dash is a dud? or if i fix a tyre sensor it will start picking the reading.

Is this normal for the 2004 RX 330 to come without tyre pressure sensors?

By the way my rims are after market rim not OEM.
Re: Club-Lexus by Nobody: 8:50am On Mar 14, 2015
kakameks:
I did a replacement for all my 2004 RX 330 tyres along with wheel balancing and rotation check. (2 bridgestone and 2 antres tyres), price no be here oooo for the bridgestone. Got the antres for 23500 not up to half of the bridgestone.

I observed the there was no pressure sensor in all the five tyres!! Just the normal valve, so i was wondering is it that the tyre pressure indicator on the dash is a dud? or if i fix a tyre sensor it will start picking the reading.

That might explain a lot why your cars TPMS was removed.

OEM lexus alloy wheels are veeeerrryyy expensive. I Always advice folks not to lose their OEM parts except when they do away with that car.
The picture grabbed are OEM TPMS and the part number. Take not of the part number.

Re: Club-Lexus by Nobody: 9:18am On Mar 14, 2015
kakameks:

You're doing that car a lot of harm. One way to know if you've driven for say 35km, go to the rear, under the car, use your hands to feel the rear differential. If its hot, you're killing it. All 4WD and AWD setup vehicles (RX) inclusive requires same tyre thread pattern, same manufacturer, same size and same rate of thread wear. If you're running different tyre setup, you're gonna destroy the differentials even the difference in each tyre is just 5%.
Re: Club-Lexus by kakameks: 3:22pm On Mar 14, 2015
lomomike:

You're doing that car a lot of harm. One way to know if you've driven for say 35km, go to the rear, under the car, use your hands to feel the rear differential. If its hot, you're killing it. All 4WD and AWD setup vehicles (RX) inclusive requires same tyre thread pattern, same manufacturer, same size and same rate of thread wear. If you're running different tyre setup, you're gonna destroy the differentials even the difference in each tyre is just 5%.

Wow. I just did the heat check after a very long drive, i could not go near the exhaust but i could touch and leave my palm pressed against the rear diff. It was not blistering hot but very warm.

As for the tyre i placed the ones from same manufacturer on the same axle, the difference in thread depth is less than an inch (around half an inch). Though the bridgestone thread pattern is more aggressive than the antras.

I understand that the power distribution for lexus rx are 90 (front) and 10(rear), so invariably the front tyres always wears out fast than the rear. Your very right in your assessment on different tyre not suited for awd or 4wd cars. However there are no clear cut no-no's for using same size and specification but different brands. (All four are all season tyres) and thread pattern on each axle. What i gathered was the cause of diff. or tranny failure are using different tyre size or makes for the same axle, which causes different rotation to the drive axle and that ruins the differentials.

I've always wondered if the lexus rx330 does have a slip differential, that prevent slippage of wheels on the same axle for both front and rear axle?

The first pic is the antras(front), while the second n third are the bridgestone (rear).

Re: Club-Lexus by Nobody: 5:46pm On Mar 14, 2015
kakameks:

Wow. I just did the heat check after a very long drive, i could not go near the exhaust but i could touch and leave my palm pressed against the rear diff. It was not blistering hot but very warm.

As for the tyre i placed the ones from same manufacturer on the same axle, the difference in thread depth is less than an inch (around half an inch). Though the bridgestone thread pattern is more aggressive than the antras.

I understand that the power distribution for lexus rx are 90 (front) and 10(rear), so invariably the front tyres always wears out fast than the rear. Your very right in your assessment on different tyre not suited for awd or 4wd cars. However there are no clear cut no-no's for using same size and specification but different brands. (All four are all season tyres) and thread pattern on each axle. What i gathered was the cause of diff. or tranny failure are using different tyre size or makes for the same axle, which causes different rotation to the drive axle and that ruins the differentials.

I've always wondered if the lexus rx330 does have a slip differential, that prevent slippage of wheels on the same axle for both front and rear axle?

The first pic is the antras(front), while the second n third are the bridgestone (rear).

Lexus, highlander, rav4, GS350/460 AWD, IS 250/350 AWD have a 50/50 power split to both front and rear wheels. Its only in 4WD systems and newer recent or highly complex and computerized systems such as the Acura's AH-AWD, Audi Quattro and Nissan/Infiniti's ATTESSA's systems that varies the power to any computer determined wheel at any time.

Still at that, different thread patterned tyres and different specs and manufacturers aren't suitable for any 4WD or AWD system.

As for that diff being warm, I am scared.
Re: Club-Lexus by maballack(m): 6:07pm On Mar 17, 2015
Please guys what oil do you use for servicing ....My engine states 5w-30 but i havent come across one yet with them total and co...
Re: Club-Lexus by Nobody: 6:16pm On Mar 17, 2015
maballack:
Please guys what oil do you use for servicing ....My engine states 5w-30 but i havent come across one yet with them total and co...

I use coastal oil 5w30. If you're willing, I can purchase and send to you. What model lexus are you driving?
Re: Club-Lexus by maballack(m): 6:17pm On Mar 17, 2015
IS250 AWD
whats the quote on it ...Living in Lagos
Re: Club-Lexus by Deloyd: 6:12pm On Mar 20, 2015
@ Maballack- I use a Full Synthetic Engine oil 5W 30 for my Lexus GX 470. Call me on 08093524229 for more info on the engine Oil
Re: Club-Lexus by maballack(m): 6:16pm On Mar 20, 2015
while waiting to here back from Lomomike...i was able to find one myself .....heres picture of what i currently now would be sing as its very much available to me...and close by

Re: Club-Lexus by Nobody: 7:22pm On Mar 20, 2015
maballack:
while waiting to here back from Lomomike...i was able to find one myself .....heres picture of what i currently now would be sing as its very much available to me...and close by

Imagine putting a motorcraft oil filter which is compatible with your lexus.... cool

Hope I'm not giving you ideas o! Better stick to your OEM toyota filter oil filter. tongue
Re: Club-Lexus by maballack(m): 7:54pm On Mar 20, 2015
Thats not an oil filter ....thats an engine oil synthetic 5w -30
Re: Club-Lexus by Nobody: 9:13pm On Mar 20, 2015
maballack:
Thats not an oil filter ....thats an engine oil synthetic 5w -30
I know, but I know motorcraft also have an oil filter.... That oil filter is what I am referring to. smiley
Re: Club-Lexus by kenx1(m): 6:29am On Mar 21, 2015
So enlighten i have to bookmark the page. I really dont know much about RX350, can someone through more light on this suv sad
Re: Club-Lexus by Carshopper(m): 12:41pm On Mar 21, 2015
HELP : error codes U0126 n U0073 popping up on my IS250
Re: Club-Lexus by Nobody: 1:29pm On Mar 21, 2015
Carshopper:
HELP : error codes U0126 n U0073 popping up on my IS250

U0126 =lost communications with Steering wheel angle sensor.

Did you carry out alignment., tampered with steering, tyres, shaft, brakes ABS system etc?

U0073=Control Module Communication Bus OFF
still refers to steering wheel angle sensor issue.

What really happened that made those codes wave their flags?

Do a battery disconnect wait a bit and reconnect procedure, drive for a day then scan again. If it shows same, we'll know next step to follow.
Re: Club-Lexus by Nobody: 1:30pm On Mar 21, 2015
kenx1:
So enlighten i have to bookmark the page. I really dont know much about RX350, can someone through more light on this suv sad
there are two variants of RX350. Which year model are you interested in?
Re: Club-Lexus by Carshopper(m): 1:40pm On Mar 21, 2015
lomomike:

Did you carry out alignment., tampered with steering, tyres, shaft, brakes ABS system etc?

Do a battery disconnect wait a bit and reconnect procedure, drive for a day then scan again. If it shows same, we'll know next step to follow.

Nope , codes jus came up ystday evening as I was driving.

Ws thinkin abt ba3 disconnect options n monitor it. Right now am doing tyre rotation, wen done wit dt will do d ba3 disconnect.

Re: Club-Lexus by Nobody: 2:14pm On Mar 21, 2015
Carshopper:

Nope , codes jus came up ystday evening as I was driving.

Ws thinkin abt ba3 disconnect options n monitor it. Right now am doing tyre rotation, wen done wit dt will do d ba3 disconnect.

Chair, see rain brekete... For Abuja, wuusaiiii where man g see rain, see as heat wan roast man pikin. embarassed
Re: Club-Lexus by Carshopper(m): 2:26pm On Mar 21, 2015
lomomike:

Chair, see rain brekete... For Abuja, wuusaiiii where man g see rain, see as heat wan roast man pikin. embarassed

Lol
Re: Club-Lexus by Carshopper(m): 4:24pm On Mar 21, 2015
lomomike:

Did a battery disconnect... Afta reconnect, code errors still showing
Re: Club-Lexus by Nobody: 4:41pm On Mar 21, 2015
Carshopper:

Did a battery disconnect... Afta reconnect, code errors still showing

We gonna do a zero point calibration test. Get ready, Emperoh, et al, come lemme show the honourable house how to perform a zero point calibration test.

Go find a flat ground, it should NOT be inclined at all. When you do, lemme know.

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (140) (Reply)

Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! / The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread / How Many Kilometres Can Your Car Travel Per Litre Of Fuel?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 114
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.