Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,711 members, 7,809,697 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:25 PM

Atheists, Agnostics And Open Minded Persons. - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Atheists, Agnostics And Open Minded Persons. (7827 Views)

Challenge Go All Atheists, Agnostics, Deists And Liberals And Freethinkers / Atheists, Agnostics, Deists And Liberals And Freethinkers Lets Meet Here. / 5 Easy Steps To Debunking The Quran (for Christians, Atheists, Agnostics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Atheists, Agnostics And Open Minded Persons. by UyiIredia(m): 12:16am On Oct 23, 2013
*Kails*:
ok so i am not religious...but i believe in God...do i qualify? cheesy

No.

3 Likes

Re: Atheists, Agnostics And Open Minded Persons. by texanomaly(f): 12:20am On Oct 23, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

No.
Umm Iredia, I thought you were a Deist?
Re: Atheists, Agnostics And Open Minded Persons. by Secularist: 12:23am On Oct 23, 2013
*Kails*:
ok so i am not religious...but i believe in God...do i qualify? cheesy

Sure. Your interest counts as open mindedness.

1 Like

Re: Atheists, Agnostics And Open Minded Persons. by Secularist: 12:25am On Oct 23, 2013
The deist concept is actually interesting. It would have been a much better concept than the MONOTHEISM which according to Gore Vidal is and i quote

"The great unmentionable evil at the center of our
culture is monotheism. From a barbaric Bronze Age
text known as the Old Testament, three anti-human
religions have evolved - Judaism, Christianity, and
Islam. These are sky-god religions. They are, literally,
patriarchal - God is the Omnipotent Father - hence
the loathing of women for 2,000 years in those
countries afflicted by the sky-god and his earthly male
delegates."

2 Likes

Re: Atheists, Agnostics And Open Minded Persons. by texanomaly(f): 12:30am On Oct 23, 2013
Hmmm...so open minded Christians are not allowed?
Re: Atheists, Agnostics And Open Minded Persons. by Secularist: 12:33am On Oct 23, 2013
texanomaly: Hmmm...so open minded Christians are not allowed?

Sure. I believe most of us started out as being open minded religious persons. I count open mindedness as a first step of question asking that is often the first step toward enlightenment. smiley

1 Like

Re: Atheists, Agnostics And Open Minded Persons. by Nobody: 12:52am On Oct 23, 2013
Secularist:

Sure. Your interest counts as open mindedness.

cheesy cheesy cool! cool
Re: Atheists, Agnostics And Open Minded Persons. by Nobody: 12:52am On Oct 23, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

No.

grin

hater. tongue
Re: Atheists, Agnostics And Open Minded Persons. by texanomaly(f): 12:54am On Oct 23, 2013
Secularist:

Sure. I believe most of us started out as being open minded religious persons. I count open mindedness as a first step of question asking that is often the first step toward enlightenment. smiley
Hahaha

OK. You, and every other atheist I've met here. Its nice to meet you. I do like to research different religions. Interesting stuff.

I do not want to be an atheist, but I am interested in the concept. Several friends have piqued my curiosity. I am way to emotional to ever be logical. I'm afraid.
Re: Atheists, Agnostics And Open Minded Persons. by Secularist: 12:58am On Oct 23, 2013
texanomaly:
Hahaha

OK. You and every other atheist I've met here. Its nice to meet you. I do like to research different religions. Interesting stuff.

I do not want to be an atheist, but I am interested in The concept. Several friends have peaked my curiosity. I Am way to emotional to ever be logical I'm afraid.

It is nice to meet you too.

I understand what you mean. Your being eager to learn sets you apart from those who would blindly cut down what they dont understand, and quite frankly if more religious people just listened a bit instead of writing things off there would be a bigger shot at peace in the world.

I respect your courage, i know, i was in your shoe once.

1 Like

Re: Atheists, Agnostics And Open Minded Persons. by MrTroll(m): 1:02am On Oct 23, 2013
texanomaly:
Hahaha

OK. You and every other atheist I've met here. Its nice to meet you. I do like to research different religions. Interesting stuff.

I do not want to be an atheist, but I am interested in The concept. Several friends have peaked my curiosity. I Am way to emotional to ever be logical I'm afraid.
so sad there's no heaven sad

you're the perfect candidate, such honesty! kiss kiss

1 Like

Re: Atheists, Agnostics And Open Minded Persons. by texanomaly(f): 1:09am On Oct 23, 2013
Secularist:

It is nice to meet you too.

I understand what you mean. Your being eager to learn sets you apart from those who would blindly cut down what they dont understand, and quite frankly if more religious people just listened a bit instead of writing things off there would be a bigger shot at peace in the world.

I respect your courage, i know, i was in your shoe once.

Well thanks. I frequent chat rooms, and threads that are irreligious. I also like the Christian chat. Lolz. I even hang out in the Satanic chat room. Alfa is an interesting character. I would like to learn more about Islam, but I'm not sure I'm welcome in the Muslim section.
Re: Atheists, Agnostics And Open Minded Persons. by Nobody: 1:43am On Oct 23, 2013
Secularist:

Please NAH! Oya am a slave, i have chains on and all, u happy now?

Just leave this thread. If you are fascinated by atheist perhaps you should become one instead of chastising. I could send you Dawkin's book if you want. Send me your email and i'd send it to you now. You can keep yourself occupied with that for the time being.

If you only want to constitute a nuisance and wonder why we are smarter than you then google it, your answers are there. Please bro, go away before our intelligence on important matters confuse you.
pls send it to me. will send my email
Re: Atheists, Agnostics And Open Minded Persons. by Nobody: 2:00am On Oct 23, 2013
Re: Atheists, Agnostics And Open Minded Persons. by texanomaly(f): 2:11am On Oct 23, 2013
Mr Troll: so sad there's no heaven sad

you're the perfect candidate, such honesty! kiss kiss
Well aren't you sweet.
Re: Atheists, Agnostics And Open Minded Persons. by ladygogo: 3:06am On Oct 23, 2013
I'm no 4 right now.
Please we need more women to start questioning religion so we can make these pastors non muhfugging factors. You all should come out of the closet. grin

1 Like

Re: Atheists, Agnostics And Open Minded Persons. by Nobody: 4:27am On Oct 23, 2013
Ihedinobi:

You edited it without telling me na. Is it my fault that I quoted your unedited post?

After much much sha, na still dust you yarn!

Religious philosophy is a well-defined field in itself. There are skill sets necessary to operating effectively in it and you do not acquire them by merely reading the Bible. That much is an established fact. Established by the existence of academies and fellowships that regulate the field.

It's the rather silly arrogance that drives you to make such a curious statement that also drives Dawkins to debate established theologians on things he knows zilch about. And fill every argument he makes against theism and religion with pungent brain farts.

Another false accusation.

I never edited anything.

You christians try too hard at BS...

Are you telling me that you are not qualified to debate about the bible? Because you are telling me that all what you been discussing on Nairaland religion section is out of ignorance because you're not a theologian?
Re: Atheists, Agnostics And Open Minded Persons. by Nobody: 4:31am On Oct 23, 2013
Reyginus: Lol. Once again, how you think! How do you expect a theologian in a 'formal atheist' debate?

Much ignorance, sir.

Theologians are the ones that should be in atheist debates.
Re: Atheists, Agnostics And Open Minded Persons. by Nobody: 6:22am On Oct 23, 2013
Secularist: Word!

I dont believe in absolutes also, but i find it hard to impossible to believe in a God who created man and caused him to war with each other and blame it on his other creation, the devil. I find such a god malevolent and non deserving of any kind of adoration or worship.

I am not a 7 based on my lack of belief in absolutes, but in my case it would not matter if such a god existed or not, my mind is set on my idea of him.

If truely this supernatural power do not exist, how do you think the universe came about? and how did life come about?
Re: Atheists, Agnostics And Open Minded Persons. by Secularist: 7:19am On Oct 23, 2013
nwuyag: @ secularist
nw27788888888888888@gmail.com

Done.
Re: Atheists, Agnostics And Open Minded Persons. by Secularist: 7:22am On Oct 23, 2013
lady gogo: I'm no 4 right now.
Please we need more women to start questioning religion so we can make these pastors non muhfugging factors. You all should come out of the closet. grin

YES O! I could not agree more! Religion has done nothing but put you in guys at the mercy of men for way too long!

1 Like

Re: Atheists, Agnostics And Open Minded Persons. by Secularist: 7:23am On Oct 23, 2013
JMAN05:

If truely this supernatural power do not exist, how do you think the universe came about? and how did life come about?

Dude, i am really not here to have a debate with you. May you go to heaven and all that, me and you no get discussion O.

1 Like

Re: Atheists, Agnostics And Open Minded Persons. by sushieater: 7:23am On Oct 23, 2013
Ihedinobi:

Maybe sometimes. My own na epic boredom! When you argue the same thing over and over and over again, you start asking how anyone sees any sense in some things. Then you get epically bored. Then you don't argue. Then you're silent. Then you restrain yourself from speaking. grin grin grin

@ihedinobi GBAM!! Same Old arguments, just a different day.

@Uyi & Josh Lol! Y'all got me there.. I greet Una.

1 Like

Re: Atheists, Agnostics And Open Minded Persons. by lanaVello1(m): 7:35am On Oct 23, 2013
nice thread.....following up with great interest
PS-i think some peeps unknowingly have d wrong idea about the word 'theology'
Re: Atheists, Agnostics And Open Minded Persons. by Secularist: 7:37am On Oct 23, 2013
There is this quote i like so so much

[b]“Stood in firelight, sweltering. Bloodstain on chest like map of violent new continent. Felt cleansed. Felt dark planet turn under my feet and knew what cats know that makes them scream like babies in night.

Looked at sky through smoke heavy with human fat and God was not there. The cold, suffocating dark goes on forever and we are alone. Live our lives, lacking anything better to do. Devise reason later. Born from oblivion; bear children, hell-bound as ourselves, go into oblivion. There is nothing else.

Existence is random. Has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it for too long. No meaning save what we choose to impose. This rudderless world is not shaped by vague metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It’s us. Only us. Streets stank of fire. The void breathed hard on my heart, turning its illusions to ice, shattering them. Was reborn then, free to scrawl own design on this morally blank world.

Was Rorschach.
[/b]

We have fought so many wars in the name of an imaginary friend for so so so long, i dont expect this to stop soon, but i do believe we can change things dramatically for the next generation of Nigerians. For atheism to thrive one need only bring light to a few flaws of religion to another of an open mind, the rest would reveal itself to them. I believe we must take the pains to indoctrinate the next generation in the truth or run the risk of letting their religious parents alone be in charge of this.

It is funny, to shatter religion all one has to do is look at it objectively.

1 Like

Re: Atheists, Agnostics And Open Minded Persons. by lanaVello1(m): 7:43am On Oct 23, 2013
@secularist, Are you implying man is himself's greatest enemy cos GOD is not behind the evil he does or because he's deluded wid d concept of GOD?!?
Re: Atheists, Agnostics And Open Minded Persons. by Nobody: 7:44am On Oct 23, 2013
lana_Vello: nice thread.....following up with great interest
PS-i think some peeps unknowingly have d wrong idea about the word 'theology'

The thing is that people dont realise that theology is nothing more than a sham. Studying holy books and religion. It is even debated whether it should be in universities

"Since the early nineteenth century, various different approaches have emerged in the West to theology as an academic discipline. Much of the debate concerning theology's place in the university or within a general higher education curriculum centres on whether theology's methods are appropriately theoretical and (broadly speaking) scientific or, on the other hand, whether theology requires a pre-commitment of faith by its practitioners, and whether such a commitment conflicts with academic freedom."

1 Like

Re: Atheists, Agnostics And Open Minded Persons. by Secularist: 7:46am On Oct 23, 2013
lana_Vello: @secularist, Are you implying man is himself's greatest enemy cos GOD is not behind the evil he does or because he's deluded wid d concept of GOD?!?

Yes O!

1 Like

Re: Atheists, Agnostics And Open Minded Persons. by lanaVello1(m): 7:50am On Oct 23, 2013
Secularist:

Yes O!
Twas a YES or NO question pls..
Re: Atheists, Agnostics And Open Minded Persons. by Secularist: 7:52am On Oct 23, 2013
lana_Vello:
Twas a YES or NO question pls..

I gave you an animated answer mate. Yes, man has always been the problem, he created god in the first place to justify his narrow mindedness!

1 Like

Re: Atheists, Agnostics And Open Minded Persons. by lanaVello1(m): 7:53am On Oct 23, 2013
Logicboy03:

do you agree wit me that you need a concise and deep knowledge of&about THEOLOGY as a whole before you can debunk it or prove the alleged deception in it?!?
Re: Atheists, Agnostics And Open Minded Persons. by ajayikayod: 7:55am On Oct 23, 2013
Secularist: Hehehehe

Please O! I was very clear in my topic header, i dont want any christian or islamist person bringing anything to the table, this discussion is light years beyond you O.

Mayb a password protection request from d admin for ur solitary thread can achieve dt. U can then share it among ur same.
Seems not bad when u can spy on other ppl's thread and conceal urs.

Admin, pls honour him!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Is God Partial? / Plaetton's Pantheism / Is Jesus Christ Jehovah?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.