Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,293 members, 7,811,879 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:00 PM

FG Directs Federal Universities To Re-Open Immediately - Politics (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG Directs Federal Universities To Re-Open Immediately (31242 Views)

FG Directs Depots To Sell Kerosene At N73.37k Per Litre / Prophet To Fashola: Re-open Yaba Railway Market Or Lose Your Children / Nigerians To Enjoy Regular Power Soon • Fg Directs States To Provide Electricity (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG Directs Federal Universities To Re-Open Immediately by Leemak: 6:08pm On Nov 28, 2013
Useless order from useless government.Just sign an agreement and put an end to the strike.

2 Likes

Re: FG Directs Federal Universities To Re-Open Immediately by superstar1(m): 6:09pm On Nov 28, 2013
TeNDuLKaaY: Good move, although I doubt the practicality. If schools resume without lecturers, what do we achieve? Nevertheless ASUU has taken this too far. If they had new requests, why spend three weeks mourning a dead member, wasting the time of students who were patiently waiting for a resolution. Besides why is ASUU and the FG the only parties in negotiation for a deal that would affect state govts, students, parents, other academic bodies, and Nigeraia as a whole.... ASUU don cross boundary. https://www.nairaland.com/1531025/why-should-ASUU-run-life

govt can decide to make lecturing a contract job and paid on productivity basis.
Re: FG Directs Federal Universities To Re-Open Immediately by TeNDuLKaaY(m): 6:13pm On Nov 28, 2013
superstar1:

govt can decide to make lecturing a contract job and paid on productivity basis.
AMEN
Re: FG Directs Federal Universities To Re-Open Immediately by addictiv(m): 6:15pm On Nov 28, 2013
superstar1:

In this Nigeria When em never pay pension finish. Who ll supervise the productivity? How ll the lecturers be held accountable?
Re: FG Directs Federal Universities To Re-Open Immediately by nuclearboy(m): 6:22pm On Nov 28, 2013
I won't be surprised to find out government has just realised they don't have the liquidity (cash) to fulfill the terms of the agreement and decided to toe this path hoping the lecturers would continue the strike thus allowing them buy more time!

What is obvious is that they will still pay the strike period salaries and agree to the terms discussed! Seems there is no cash however, right now, to "do the needful"

1 Like

Re: FG Directs Federal Universities To Re-Open Immediately by lebienconnu: 6:23pm On Nov 28, 2013
i said it. ASUU has finally comitted suicide. they should not deceive themselves that thier positions cannot filled as there are many qualified aspirants home and abroad. did i hear that some phd holders applied for dangote truck drivers positions? something tells me there are many more presently unemployed or employed but poorly paid. its a good riddance. shame on them.

the junior ones who have not made enough to money should shine thier eyes
poverty is a bad thing.

1 Like

Re: FG Directs Federal Universities To Re-Open Immediately by superstar1(m): 6:24pm On Nov 28, 2013
addictiv:
In this Nigeria When em never pay pension finish. Who ll supervise the productivity? How ll the lecturers be held accountable?

who is holding them accountable now. all the billions they have collected before, where is the account? they want more because they NA members are earning stupendous money. As bad as NA members can be, they should also resign from lecturing and join politics if NA salary is their yardstick for demand. If everybody is asking for salary based on NAs salary, inflation would have killed the couintry and Nigeria would have been sold into eternal slavery.
Re: FG Directs Federal Universities To Re-Open Immediately by david290(m): 6:24pm On Nov 28, 2013
If ASUU are really innocent as claimed by some nairalanders,why can't dey just pursue d implementation of d newly agreed deal since FG has shown new commitment,why new demands of allowances dat u did not work 4,is strike d only way 2 get your voices across,why do we have courts? D strike is just like someone owe me and because he delays or refuse 2 pay me i now decide 2 refuse 2 collect my money now dat he is willing 2 pay on d excuse dat he has earlier refuse 2 pay. does it really make any sense,why do we've magistrate,appeal,high and supreme court?
Re: FG Directs Federal Universities To Re-Open Immediately by Kaydem(m): 6:26pm On Nov 28, 2013
i'm not here to trade word with anyone, but i've got this feeling of asking our striking lecturers some few questions....
If at all the said agreement is been put into pen,
(1) Will it put a stop to the burgeoning rate at which our female students faces molestation from the so called lecturer?
(2) Won't there be any form of misappropiation of this said fund or better still daylight embezzlement
(3) Will it stop the lecturers from forcing us to buy online-copy-&-paste handouts
(4) With this said money, will you be able to produced employable graduates and not the usual half-baked
(5) will our Uni's be able to have international recognition
(6) Will the crook and the lazy bones among you be shown the exit door
(7) will our ivory tower witness positive turnaround infrastructurely(just as proposed)
.....If our Dear lecturers can honestly fulfill this demands then i'm 100% in support of their struggle...
Re: FG Directs Federal Universities To Re-Open Immediately by otokx(m): 6:27pm On Nov 28, 2013
david290: If ASUU are really innocent as claimed by some nairalanders,why can't dey just pursue d implementation of d newly agreed deal,why new demands,is strike d only way 2 get your voices across,why do we have courts? D strike is just like someone owe me and because he delays or refuse 2 pay me i now decide 2 go on strike.does it really make any sense,why do we've magistrate,appeal,high and supreme court?

thanks for the joke but it was not funny.
Re: FG Directs Federal Universities To Re-Open Immediately by sakaguchi(m): 6:32pm On Nov 28, 2013
Kaydem: i'm not here to trade word with anyone, but i've got this feeling of asking our striking lecturers some few questions....
If at all the said agreement is been put into pen,
(1) Will it put a stop to the burgeoning rate at which our female students faces molestation from the so called lecturer?
(2) Won't there be any form of misappropiation of this said fund or better still daylight embezzlement
(3) Will it stop the lecturers from forcing us to buy online-copy-&-paste handouts
(4) With this said money, will you be able to produced employable graduates and not the usual half-baked
(5) will our Uni's be able to have international recognition
(6) Will the crook and the lazy bones among you be shown the exit door
(7) will our ivory tower witness positive turnaround infrastructurely(just as proposed)
.....If our Dear lecturers can honestly fulfill this demands then i'm 100% in support of their struggle...

Lol

But they cannot, unfortunately, most of the relevent point you listed above are not captured in the demands of our selfish lecturers.
Re: FG Directs Federal Universities To Re-Open Immediately by npn001(f): 6:33pm On Nov 28, 2013
Nice one FG, It's long over due...

You know if you are fighting a just cause and people are begging you to stop if you refuse you'll get to a point that you become guilty of what you're fighting for. This is what ASUU have found itself in. It has lost public sympathy and as such should cover its face in same.

When lecturers that are suppose to centre their energy into researching, impacting knowledge and carrying out community service are busy fighting for over 4months, what time will they have to teach something reasonable to their students?? These are the kind of lecturers that sell handout and read text books in class to their students without adding anything new.

When a man that's suppose to be selling cow is the chairman of ASUU this is what you get. Faggae should be relieved of his duties as a lecturer so that he can continue to fight for his pocket because he's not fighting for the students at all.
Re: FG Directs Federal Universities To Re-Open Immediately by lebienconnu: 6:39pm On Nov 28, 2013
i said it. ASUU has finally comitted suicide. they should not deceive themselves that thier positions cannot filled as there are many qualified aspirants home and abroad. did i hear that some phd holders applied for dangote truck drivers positions? something tells me there are many more presently unemployed or employed but poorly paid. its a good riddance. shame on them.

the junior ones who have not made enough to money should shine thier eyes
poverty is a very bad thing.
Re: FG Directs Federal Universities To Re-Open Immediately by SirTunechi(f): 7:04pm On Nov 28, 2013
I see tears in ASUU's eyes, i see hate in their heart, i see 5 naira in their bank accounts, and i smell lies in ZackiGp's mouth.
Re: FG Directs Federal Universities To Re-Open Immediately by IlajeOmuro: 7:09pm On Nov 28, 2013
Mandelaguy:

Here comes the resident retard on Nairaland with his i.mbecilic comments as usual.
President Jonathan is the first president to enter into direct negotiations with ASUU. He didn't do it out of weakness but a genuine desire to end the strike and get Nigerian students back to school.

It took the President 13 hours to reach a feasible agreement with ASUU (while you were asleep) and they had an understanding which includes a variation of the unimplementable 2009 agreement that ASUU reached under Yaradua.

President Jonathan told ASUU (and the facts are verifiable) that he is the president who has invested more in Education than any other.
He told them that he increased Education funding in the Budget from below 300B to 450 B. he also specialized tertiary funding through TETFUNDS.

He has undertaken the establishment of 12 new Federal universities to ensure that no state in the federation is deprived.
Since the strike started, FG has committee 100B for infrastructure and 30 B for earned allowances (no other administration has done this much)
In the same meeting, President said that despite the increased budgetary funding to Education by 450B, he will also mobilise 200 B in fulfillment of the agreement for the next 4 years.

So what is ASUU's problem? Since you were born, have you heard of any President that offered this much to ASUU just to call off a strike?
It's so unfortunate that politics has beclouded our sense of reasoning in this country.
President GEJ has tried, let FG go ahead to reopen the schools and it will be a popular move as you can see from comments on this thread

You are daft and I pity those who like your post! So you mean you are not aware that no money has been released other than the N30billion for earned allowances!
Re: FG Directs Federal Universities To Re-Open Immediately by mvem(m): 7:12pm On Nov 28, 2013
njokusboy:

(1) Not all professors and lecturers are part of ASUU, so interview wouldn't be a problem.
(2) The new professors would spring from where the previous ones sprung from besides unionism is about interests, many of the professors would return to their work and ASUU would become irrelevant... They are not too keen to be fired..
(3) ASUU does not accredit universities, the NUC does and they aren't even on friendly terms with ASUU..
(4) Joining ASUU is not neccesary, when this previously unemployed people are now getting paid and enjoying the goods, do you think they would bother about ASUU?

.....See ignorance oooo to d highest order....Every academic staff is part of the union ASUU.You should be saying not all Lecteurers are in support of ASUU
Re: FG Directs Federal Universities To Re-Open Immediately by mvem(m): 7:13pm On Nov 28, 2013
njokusboy:

(1) Not all professors and lecturers are part of ASUU, so interview wouldn't be a problem.
(2) The new professors would spring from where the previous ones sprung from besides unionism is about interests, many of the professors would return to their work and ASUU would become irrelevant... They are not too keen to be fired..
(3) ASUU does not accredit universities, the NUC does and they aren't even on friendly terms with ASUU..
(4) Joining ASUU is not neccesary, when this previously unemployed people are now getting paid and enjoying the goods, do you think they would bother about ASUU?

..Who makes up the NUC....The commission picks professors from various Universities to oversee accreditation
Re: FG Directs Federal Universities To Re-Open Immediately by jelel6: 7:25pm On Nov 28, 2013
In all honesty, the FG is the villian here. I was shocked when I first read about this latest action by the FG. Along I knew that one of both parties are hypocrites. For the first time since the beginning of this strike, am now convinced that ASUU has been the good guys. Pls lets be reasonable, both parties fell-out because of the unwillingness of FG to honour an agreement that the FG willingly reached. Now which sane person will trust someone who fails to honour his promise in his private dealings. But you all are applauding the FG for its directives. GED's team of advisers have let him down. Of All Conditions that must be meet which ASUU presented for the strike to be called off, only a HYPOCRITE will refuse to meet them. AND HYPOCRITES IS WHAT goodluck ebele jonathan AND HIS government ARE.
Re: FG Directs Federal Universities To Re-Open Immediately by sakaguchi(m): 7:29pm On Nov 28, 2013
mvem: ..Who makes up the NUC....The commission picks professors from various Universities to oversee accreditation
The will pick up the professors who resume work an professors in schools that didn't go on strike.
Re: FG Directs Federal Universities To Re-Open Immediately by Nobody: 7:33pm On Nov 28, 2013
Funny enough everyone is just saying their story,our government is a very corrupt 1 and every year trillions are shared by the so called leaders @ d top......if jonathan cared about the future of this country we won't even have stayed long at home.....yet we call our selves the giant of africa...giant of what....if jona had a child in 1 of the public universities won't he have found a way to get the strike matter settled.....but he doesn't.......As for ASUU they are just fighting for their right,what do you expect them to do after so many denials by the government...............the government should settle them with whatever they want if we don't want another strike by next year,next month..........even if they aint going to repair our infrastures to their deteriment let them have it.....................we are more than that in this country.......they should pay them their 4months salaries too.......have you taught of other universities that aren't as rich as unilag unilorin and the others.........let change start from now

2 Likes

Re: FG Directs Federal Universities To Re-Open Immediately by 99100(m): 7:36pm On Nov 28, 2013
Seconded.
#Is long overdue#
Re: FG Directs Federal Universities To Re-Open Immediately by emmymdk: 7:37pm On Nov 28, 2013
Now the Presidency is talking.......... ASUU be damned,enough of this nonsense
Re: FG Directs Federal Universities To Re-Open Immediately by sakaguchi(m): 7:46pm On Nov 28, 2013
Ace Events: Funny enough everyone is just saying their story,our government is a very corrupt 1 and every year trillions are shared by the so called leaders @ d top......if jonathan cared about the future of this country we won't even have stayed long at home.....yet we call our selves the giant of africa...giant of what....if jona had a child in 1 of the public universities won't he have found a way to get the strike matter settled.....but he doesn't.......As for ASUU they are just fighting for their right,what do you expect them to do after so many denials by the government...............the government should settle them with whatever they want if we don't want another strike by next year,next month..........even if they aint going to repair our infrastures to their deteriment let them have it.....................we are more than that in this country.......they should pay them their 4months salaries too.......have you taught of other universities that aren't as rich as unilag unilorin and the others.........let change start from now

You are talking through your a s s.
Re: FG Directs Federal Universities To Re-Open Immediately by Nobody: 7:46pm On Nov 28, 2013
mvem: ..Who makes up the NUC....The commission picks professors from various Universities to oversee accreditation

Hahahahahaha... Very funny.. One advice, go and read up....

Lemme give u a tip, the NUC and ASUU are at loggerheads....
Re: FG Directs Federal Universities To Re-Open Immediately by Keshintin(m): 7:47pm On Nov 28, 2013
Kudos to dose that speaks d truth...Some are just saying rubbish since,wasting their sense of reasonin.#FACT: I see the FG voicing out rubbish as directed,we're not mugu as I knw FG dnt care about us anymore, dey jst want to do things to full NewsPaper...how can FG tel us they dnt hav enuf moni 2 fund public Sector bt Monex dey To fund Political Ambition...WALAHI, GOVT IS PERFORMING RUBBISH. Jst resume and waist time 4 d session coz ur lecturer wont perform to the fullest.#GBAM
Re: FG Directs Federal Universities To Re-Open Immediately by EUI2013: 7:47pm On Nov 28, 2013
;DU don't know what u are saying, it better u don't say anything

Demdem: Foolish Govt.

Its obvious they arent interested in fulfilling any agreement. Either the one signed in 2009 or the MOU signed in 2012 or even the promises of

Jonathan after several hours of meeting with them of recent. If Jonathan is serious, why cant he sign and make his commitments on paper for all

to see and monitor. All hail ASUU, they have mastered the way of holding the govt by its balls. It will be extremely foolish for them to go back to

classes knowing fully well that Jonathan wont do as promised. Their strike and death of Iyayi would have been in vain. I expect the strike to

continue. ASUU never shut down any school, Those that shut down the schools are opening it back, so no qualms.
Re: FG Directs Federal Universities To Re-Open Immediately by Nobody: 7:48pm On Nov 28, 2013
mvem: .....See ignorance oooo to d highest order....Every academic staff is part of the union ASUU.You should be saying not all Lecteurers are in support of ASUU

What is the difference? ASUU is lyk an umbrella and not every body is interested in staying under the umbrella...
Re: FG Directs Federal Universities To Re-Open Immediately by hillsate: 8:12pm On Nov 28, 2013
Promhize:

You are so daft, haven't FG agreed with ASUU? Didn't you hear of the new demands by ASUU? Why would FG pay them for 5months in which they not work?

How will we students who paid close to 100k to rent house outside school be refunded? Those of us that left foodstuffs in school? What do we get?

You are such an idi.ot

So the future of Nigeria should be compromised because you left foodstuff and paid a blood.y house rent?
Just wondering what type of graduate you'd be.
You obviously are the I.diot here.
Re: FG Directs Federal Universities To Re-Open Immediately by frankwhite776: 8:14pm On Nov 28, 2013
[/color][color=#006600][b][/b], ASUU are very sellfish and self centerd,very heartless.ASUU has distabilize a lot of students and business men. I don't need 2 sympatise with them anymore cos nigerians has seen there selfish interest. A lot of students all over nigeria has awasted money on accomodation n all other expenses. Some students hav lost dere lives in dis on goin strike. Yet ASUU refused 2 consider issues. They want 100 percent of there demand.its unfair. ASUU is so selfish that they can't call off an ongoin strike 2 honor their collegue. Its unpatriotic. They don't love theirselves but instead lov their pockets. They want 2 get rich like senators and b lazy in teachin. Its unfortunate that I have stayed at home as a student for five monthz doin notin. I wonder y we hav students union government n nans. They r weak nw cos they r being influence by politicians. God help nigerian education system. Government has played there role cos I kwn if d president of ASUU is in d shoes of jonathan,he will not give the the eductn system one third of what jonatn has given.government has a lot of sectors 2 handle.ASUU is demandin for 5months salry they didint work for. Can they promote student into another level without examz.

2 Likes

Re: FG Directs Federal Universities To Re-Open Immediately by hillsate: 8:20pm On Nov 28, 2013
Promhize:

And what do they produce? Abegi jare, I'm a student, I have like 3professors lecturing me. There's nothing special about them, only one is above average.

Three professors lecturing you and you see nothing special about them and you even know which of them is above average.
Students don't talk like this, only village touts claiming to be students.
Re: FG Directs Federal Universities To Re-Open Immediately by IlajeOmuro: 8:34pm On Nov 28, 2013
Who is afraid of being sacked? So the toddlers in NL think lecturers are jellies! See you kids on 4th of December.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Femi Adesina Sleeping During The Budget 2018 Presentation (Photos) / I’ll Leave If Impeached By Two-thirds Of The Senate, Says Saraki / Taraba Killings: Confessions Of Killer Soldiers Malami Shields From Trial

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.