Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,652 members, 7,955,364 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 12:36 AM

My Friend Hates God. Don't Know What To Do. Advice - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / My Friend Hates God. Don't Know What To Do. Advice (22664 Views)

These Means That God Don't Know That Prevention Is Better Than Cure / Reasons Why Men Of God Don't Preach This Part Of The Scripture (bible). / Re: My Friend Hates God. Don't Know What To Do. Advice (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Friend Hates God. Don't Know What To Do. Advice by tpia: 8:10pm On Aug 12, 2008
huxley:

Absolutely WRONG. We have control over religions. Many of the religions of the past are now dead precisely because we failed to preserve them and because new one have evolved to take their place. Just as Christianity/Islam did not exist 3000 years ago.

Many millions of people today have made a deliberate choice of NOT belonging to any religions, a very sensible choice I might add.

were Christianity/Islam the only religions that didnt exist 3000 years ago? Do you think African traditional religion as you know it today, was around 3000 years ago?

a religion that remains static is a religion on its way to extinction.
Re: My Friend Hates God. Don't Know What To Do. Advice by Nobody: 8:10pm On Aug 12, 2008
mazaje:

which of the bibles? the one with the 66 books or the one with the over 70 books? by the way why are there so many types and version of the bible? which are people to believe and which are they to discard, my pastor once told me that the catholics and their bibles will all rot in hell. why is that so? and who says that the catholics and their bibles will all rot in hell? how do we know that their bible is false? in fact when did the bible become the bible? what about moslems, hindus etc that died before martin luther king and his 66 books of the bible will they all rot in hell too?  did the bible contain 66 books 50 years before martin luther king? by the way when did esua become jesus, why was his name changed to a greek name?

Its apparent you've lost the plot. when men find themselves intellectually at sea they start grasping at straws.

Stick to one point and debate it to a logical conclusion, i will not follow you down the path of just fishing about for anything to save face.
Re: My Friend Hates God. Don't Know What To Do. Advice by huxley(m): 8:17pm On Aug 12, 2008
tpia:

were Christianity/Islam the only religions that didnt exist 3000 years ago? Do you think African traditional religion as you know it today, was around 3000 years ago?

a religion that remains static is a religion on its way to extinction.

I mentioned Christianity and Islam, but that goes for almost all religions. Up until a few hundred years ago many religions could survive for hundreds of years, secure in the ignorance of its followers. Today with the tools of rationalism most religions are beating a retreat into the realms of allegory and metaphysics, abandoning explanatory area of reality to science. Today, any religions that make a claim about reality better be capable of defending that claim against science.
Re: My Friend Hates God. Don't Know What To Do. Advice by huxley(m): 8:19pm On Aug 12, 2008
onyinye2:

So huxley when you have kids or if you choose, will you allow them to believe in God?

Just turn the question around ( although I would not phrase it as you have). Do you allow you children to believe in Santa Claus or Fairies?
Re: My Friend Hates God. Don't Know What To Do. Advice by tpia: 8:25pm On Aug 12, 2008
huxley:

I mentioned Christianity and Islam, but that goes for almost all religions. Up until a few hundred years ago many religions could survive for hundreds of years, secure in the ignorance of its followers. Today with the tools of rationalism most religions are beating a retreat into the realms of allegory and metaphysics, abandoning explanatory area of reality to science. Today, any religions that make a claim about reality better be capable of defending that claim against science.

your reasoning is over 400 years old.

You must be reading books from the middle ages- the time of galileo and stuff. Everything you're mentioning here has been argued, discussed and straightened out, centuries ago.

Though going by what I see these days, it seems we're headed for another "middle ages" era anyway. Civilization seems to be backtracking, along with rational thought.
Re: My Friend Hates God. Don't Know What To Do. Advice by huxley(m): 8:33pm On Aug 12, 2008
tpia:

your reasoning is over 400 years old.

You must be reading books from the middle ages- the time of galileo and stuff. Everything you're mentioning here has been argued, discussed and straightened out, centuries ago.

Though going by what I see these days, it seems we're headed for another "middle ages" era anyway. Civilization seems to be backtracking, along with rational thought.

I would be glad for you to show me where my reasoning is a problem. Should I expect a response?
Re: My Friend Hates God. Don't Know What To Do. Advice by LeMoor(m): 8:40pm On Aug 12, 2008
This is the problem with religious arguments,
emotion always takes over and folks rarely ever answer questions that were put to them,

4 pages strong, and noone has answered th questions that really started the thread.
Re: My Friend Hates God. Don't Know What To Do. Advice by ilysaporta: 8:41pm On Aug 12, 2008
well and acciden tof birth didnt qualitfy you for salvation over someone else, it just gave you a head start on salvation. The bible said that jesus cant come back until the word is preached to the four corners of the earth (basically meaning until EVERY living person has heard about jesus.) B/c then, nobody can claim that they didn't know of him.

And Christ has been proven. It is proven that Jesus Christ walked this earth. However, it hasn't been proven that he rose from the dead. The short answer to your question is that you cannot calculate supernatural things with natural measures. The rise of Christ hasn't been physically proven because it can be physically proven.
Re: My Friend Hates God. Don't Know What To Do. Advice by mazaje(m): 8:45pm On Aug 12, 2008
davidylan:

Its apparent you've lost the plot. when men find themselves intellectually at sea they start grasping at straws.

Stick to one point and debate it to a logical conclusion, i will not follow you down the path of just fishing about for anything to save face.

what face? you are the one who is clearly saving face. i asked you questions which i believe you know you have little or no answers to instead of answering them because the questions are pertinent to our discussion you resorted to attacking me and saying i am trying to save face. look who is talking. I am not fishing about for anything.

I must commend you for trying to provide reasonable answers to most of the questions i and others have asked, even though i find most of your answers irreconcilable and not coherrent enough i will still have to applaude you because you have really tried. instead of threatening us with perdition you decided to answer the questions head on to the best of your ability which is good. any way as i aforementioned i am not fishing about for anything if you feel you can't answer the questions fine, you have tried at least you are the only christain of all the many that i know that has gone thus far. all the others just just dance around it, spew the nonsense line about faith and all the other rubbish they can arm themselves with and threaten me with perdition. grin grin
Re: My Friend Hates God. Don't Know What To Do. Advice by Lady2(f): 8:48pm On Aug 12, 2008
Sweetheart, the people who invented the technologies that are driving the world today did not pray to acquire that knowledge. They actually challenged the beleifs that abound in their society to prove otherwise and they did.
Charles Dawin, Leonado Da Vinci, Micheal Faradays, Thomas Edisons, Graham Bells, e.t.c all went against the odds and prooved that man could do absolutely way beyond our imaginations. You just wait till life is found on the other planets then I wonder what religion would come up with

And then the civilizations before them? What did they do? Sit back and wait for Charles Darwin, Leonardo DaVinci, Micheal Faradays? Thomas Edison?

How then did they survive? Did it just become one big caboom when Charles, Leonardo, and such walked the earth?
Go back in history and see that civilization existed and they had technology which they came up with, and they thought out of the box, and they thought ahead of their time and they created technology to move them forward, without them there would be no Charles, Thomas, Leornado.

Look I'm sure you look up to those guys, there's nothing wrong with that. I thank them for their discoveries, but I also thank those before them who were religious for their discoveries, who pushed themselves to think outside of the box. You don't have to be an atheist to think outside of the box.

I will have to find an article on one of my good friends. A scientist as well as a Catholic. He addressed the issue regarding in his faith and his profession in there. Will get that back to you.

I am looking forward to the time where you will find life on other planet.  Go and keep searching. Come back and do the 'I told you so" we'll be waiting.
Re: My Friend Hates God. Don't Know What To Do. Advice by LeMoor(m): 8:52pm On Aug 12, 2008
ilysaporta:

well and acciden tof birth didnt qualitfy you for salvation over someone else, it just gave you a head start on salvation. The bible said that jesus can't come back until the word is preached to the four corners of the earth (basically meaning until EVERY living person has heard about jesus.) B/c then, nobody can claim that they didn't know of him.

And Christ has been proven. It is proven that Jesus Christ walked this earth. However, it hasn't been proven that he rose from the dead. The short answer to your question is that you cannot calculate supernatural things with natural measures. The rise of Christ hasn't been physically proven because it can be physically proven.

Explain to this child how he offended God by accident of birth? or is he paying for his fathers' sins?

Religious logic is amazing, how excuses can be made to justify stuff,
Re: My Friend Hates God. Don't Know What To Do. Advice by mazaje(m): 8:54pm On Aug 12, 2008
ilysaporta:

well and acciden tof birth didnt qualitfy you for salvation over someone else, it just gave you a head start on salvation. The bible said that jesus can't come back until the word is preached to the four corners of the earth (basically meaning until EVERY living person has heard about jesus.) B/c then, nobody can claim that they didn't know of him.

and your point is? you see dogma has blinded your eyes and you only see things from the christain perspective, do you sincerely believe that christianity will take over china,india,sri-lanka,thailand,burma,iraq,iran.saudi arabia etc? islam is now the fastest growing religion ironically and if i may ask why is that the case? most people are leaving christainity(most europeans have left the religion) what has that got to say to your assertion that jesus will not come until all the four corners of the world have heard about him?

Esau walked the surface of this earth not jesus. who is jesus and why was his named chaged from esau to jesus. why is there so much controversy about his resurrection and crucifixtion?
Re: My Friend Hates God. Don't Know What To Do. Advice by Thor(m): 8:57pm On Aug 12, 2008
I would leave her alone, does it really matter if your friend hates a pretend person?
Re: My Friend Hates God. Don't Know What To Do. Advice by LeMoor(m): 8:57pm On Aug 12, 2008
Jesus,
hmmm, even when the letter J didnt find its way into the alphabets until a thousand yrs later,
Re: My Friend Hates God. Don't Know What To Do. Advice by mazaje(m): 8:59pm On Aug 12, 2008
Le Moor:

Jesus,
hmmm, even when the letter J didnt find its way into the alphabets until a thousand years later,

Pls can you expound on the above statement?
Re: My Friend Hates God. Don't Know What To Do. Advice by ilysaporta: 9:06pm On Aug 12, 2008
Hearing about jesus and converting to christianity are two different things. So even if no one converts to christianity, christ can return (according to the bible) until they have HEARD of him and christianity.

Islam indeed is the fast growing religion, that doesnt make it right. Nor does being the most popular religion make Christianity right.

So that has nothing to do with anything about my assertion. I was stating what the bible said. Thats what it says.

and @ Le moor, i didnt quite understand your comment.
Re: My Friend Hates God. Don't Know What To Do. Advice by LeMoor(m): 9:07pm On Aug 12, 2008
Just wondering aloud how someone could have been called jesus, when the letter J didnt make it into the alphabet list untll the 15th century

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?l=j&p=2

http://www.hadavar.net/nameofjesus.html
Re: My Friend Hates God. Don't Know What To Do. Advice by Lady2(f): 9:08pm On Aug 12, 2008
Explain to this child how he offended God by accident of birth? or is he paying for his fathers' sins?

Religion did not make him that way, so quit with the finger pointing. Man made him that way evil people without consciences made him that way, some of them use religion to defend themselves, thwy are the ones that twist the Book.

Some of us are trying to come up with ways to help people like the poor boy in the picture (may God bless him). Some "religious fanatics" i.e. evangelists are busy stuck in their homes trying to make money off of religion. Trying to buy private jets and build mega churches to say oh mine is bigger than yours (the bunch of hypocrites)

However the religion teaching itself isn't what is harming people, the message of the religion is supposed to help the poor, the sick, and the dying, and help mankind and the earth survive or at least try to live in harmony.

But the people who claim to practice this religion are the ones who have twisted the word of God, for their personal gain. Believe me they will quote it but have nothing to show for it.

Don't blame religion itself, but the people who twist religion. Selfish people.

There are those who placed themselves with the poor and lived like them and try to help them feed and survive each day. They are the ones who practice what is taught by the religion.

Esau walked the surface of this earth not jesus. who is jesus and why was his named chaged from esau to jesus. why is there so much controversy about his resurrection and crucifixtion?

One his name was never Esau. If you were to live in his time and walk up to him and call him, you would call him Yeshua. He was a Jew and spoke aramaic.
Esau means red haired in hebrew.

Jesus,
hmmm, even when the letter J didnt find its way into the alphabets until a thousand years later,

Jesus is the english name for Yeshua.

For example. A girl is named Iyesogie in Edo language meaning "mother is supreme" if you were to call her in the igbo language you would call her Nneka meaning "mother is supreme"
But in essence the same thing.

Get it?
Re: My Friend Hates God. Don't Know What To Do. Advice by ilysaporta: 9:11pm On Aug 12, 2008
Le Moor:

Just wondering aloud how someone could have been called jesus, when the letter J didnt make it into the alphabet list untll the 15th century

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?l=j&p=2

http://www.hadavar.net/nameofjesus.html

Jesus is an english translation from the original form of his name, Yahshua.
Re: My Friend Hates God. Don't Know What To Do. Advice by LeMoor(m): 9:14pm On Aug 12, 2008
Lady, I guess the irony in that post is lost on you,

The guy claimed, Jesus will not come until everyone has heard of him. I post an image of a child in a war torn zone, whose life has been directly impacted because of people using religion to perpetuate their cause (by the way, the image is from somalia). And I wonder why God who is perfect and impartial will let that happen to a child, just because of 'accident of birth' as claimed by that poster.

Lady, I dont get it,

I understand the English interpretation, and I accept it is an excuse. And it still goes down to the inherent superiority of one over the other. Why should everything about God be a derivative of the jewish language? because they are 'chosen'? a term that also means they have carte blanche to do whatever? And annihilate a people. Isnt it convenient that, when God tells them in the bible to break down the walls of Jericho, they claim it is Gods words, but when Uthman Dan Fodio, also claims the same thing, christians are quick to say he didnt hear from God? Isnt it ironic that it was ok, in the bible for the chosen pple to take what wasnt theirs? Yet it is actually a sin for any other to do it? Are we accusing God of double standards by just accepting all these?

A God that directs a specific set of people to Go and invade/vanquish another set which he also created? All because the bible said they were chosen? And you still cant clearly see a pattern and correlation with modern day events in the middle east? It is ironic, how someone comes to your doorsteps and tll you what you have is inferior, and that his is superior?

Same person whilst preaching you turn the other cheek when wronged, is looting and ripping you off, yet wont turn the other cheek when he is wronged? I am sorry, I dont buy it,

I dont buy a book of stories that tells me about winged angels, when the same winged cherubs, appear in greek literature that predates any known christian literture. I dont buy the story of the lake of fire burning with sulphur and brimstone, when the river styx, which the guardian was ironically Hades, is also a lake whose major contituent is sulphur, and it predates christian literature.

I dont buy stories, that will refuse to answer glaring questions about such things as dinosaurs and yet try to play it as the devil planting shadows inpples heads. (or maybe they got annihilated by Noahs flood?). I dont buy stories that turn logic on its head whet it cant explain stuff and tell me its a miracle?

Why did God stop appearing to man like he did in the days of Moses? why did his stance become more detached, and more by proxy through Jesus Christ? why did he become less vengeful and more compassionate? Did we his creations change?

I could go on and on,
Re: My Friend Hates God. Don't Know What To Do. Advice by mazaje(m): 9:18pm On Aug 12, 2008
~Lady~:

Religion did not make him that way, so quit with the finger pointing. Man made him that way evil people without consciences made him that way, some of them use religion to defend themselves, thwy are the ones that twist the Book.

Some of us are trying to come up with ways to help people like the poor boy in the picture (may God bless him). Some "religious fanatics" i.e. evangelists are busy stuck in their homes trying to make money off of religion. Trying to buy private jets and build mega churches to say oh mine is bigger than yours (the bunch of hypocrites)

However the religion teaching itself isn't what is harming people, the message of the religion is supposed to help the poor, the sick, and the dying, and help mankind and the earth survive or at least try to live in harmony.

But the people who claim to practice this religion are the ones who have twisted the word of God, for their personal gain. Believe me they will quote it but have nothing to show for it.

Don't blame religion itself, but the people who twist religion. Selfish people.

There are those who placed themselves with the poor and lived like them and try to help them feed and survive each day. They are the ones who practice what is taught by the religion.

One his name was never Esau. If you were to live in his time and walk up to him and call him, you would call him Yeshua. He was a Jew and spoke aramaic.
Esau means red haired in hebrew.

Jesus is the english name for Yeshua.

For example. A girl is named Iyesogie in Edo language meaning "mother is supreme" if you were to call her in the igbo language you would call her Nneka meaning "mother is supreme"
But in essence the same thing.

Get it?

why was his named changed from yahsau to jesus? why was'nt mohammeds name or all the other founders of the major religions changed? why should people accept jesus as his name when such a name never existed at the time of yahsau? its smacks of some shenanigan to me by the founders of the christain religion to fit into some pattern or agenda. what has jesus got to do with yahsua? does yahsua mean jesus  in greek? any co relation between the names?
Re: My Friend Hates God. Don't Know What To Do. Advice by Nobody: 9:23pm On Aug 12, 2008
Le Moor:

The guy claimed, Jesus will not come until everyone has heard of him. I post an image of a child in a war torn zone, whose life has been directly impacted because of people using religion to perpetuate their cause (by the way, the image is from somalia). And I wonder why God who is perfect and impartial will let that happen to a child, just because of 'accident of birth' as claimed by that poster.

Here is the reason i most times sneer at the posts of hypocritical athiests like you . . . You post a picture of a Somalian refugee . . . point fingers at God . . . (the christian God most likely since you're not placing the picture on the islamists section) FORGETTING that Somalia is a majority (over 90%) moslem nation?

Lady captured it perfectly when she said this - Religion did not make him that way, so quit with the finger pointing. Man made him that way evil people without consciences made him that way,

i dont however expect a hypocrite to see beyond his nose, its far easier to just pick up an earthquake victim and blame God for it all no?
Re: My Friend Hates God. Don't Know What To Do. Advice by Nobody: 9:27pm On Aug 12, 2008
ilysaporta:

Jesus is an english translation from the original form of his name, Yahshua.

Dont waste your time with people who are completely uninformed about that which they claim from rooftops.

mazaje:

what face? you are the one who is clearly saving face. i asked you questions which i believe you know you have little or no answers to instead of answering them because the questions are pertinent to our discussion you resorted to attacking me and saying i am trying to save face. look who is talking. I am not fishing about for anything.

I must commend you for trying to provide reasonable answers to most of the questions i and others have asked, even though i find most of your answers irreconcilable and not coherrent enough i will still have to applaude you because you have really tried. instead of threatening us with perdition you decided to answer the questions head on to the best of your ability which is good. any way as i aforementioned i am not fishing about for anything if you feel you can't answer the questions fine, you have tried at least you are the only christain of all the many that i know that has gone thus far. all the others just just dance around it, spew the nonsense line about faith and all the other rubbish they can arm themselves with and threaten me with perdition. grin grin

Saving what face? Your questions were initially pertinent to the discussion until you DELIBERATELY veered off course to nitpick at oddities like etymology, comparing God to man, age e.t.c.

Its easy to spot a fraud from 20 miles out, when they eventually run out of ideas they start talking about "how many versions of the bible exist".
Re: My Friend Hates God. Don't Know What To Do. Advice by Lady2(f): 9:31pm On Aug 12, 2008

I got it. Just because I don't agree with you does not mean that I did not get it.

why do people think that the only way to show that you understand them is to believe in what they believe or think what they think? or that you're stupid because you don't see things their way. Who says your way is the right way?

It's like saying "if you know anything about science you won't believe in religion or if you believe in science then you are against religion."

Why are both ends so close minded. Scientists and religious people.
Re: My Friend Hates God. Don't Know What To Do. Advice by LeMoor(m): 9:47pm On Aug 12, 2008
Lady,
Why do you assume I am an atheist just cause I question the bible?

if you read my 1st post on this thread, you might see where i am coming from.

The bible is a version a specific people's history to the exclusion and sometimes/later inclusion of others.
It amazes me how most christians are willing to wish away and pretend they understand how the earth suddenly became populated from 2people. Even though, Esau was scared of being sent east by God, because he didnt know what the 'others' would do to him.
Christians can't seem to explain how a diverse set of people can come from the 2people, and still remain genetically strong, even thoug we know in-breeding weakens the stock as you go down the line (not to mention the sin of incest).
it is amazing how noone can explain (or rather choose to ignore) literature from other people/cultures/traditions that have literature that predates christianiry and are astonishingly correct in accounts of things that can be proved and dated.
It is amazing how christians will not ask how men could live up to 900yrs old back then, but despite technological advances, a man will be lucky to get to a 100 ( i guess we have sinned, right?) and it conveniently gets dated to the 3scores and 10.

I could go on, but my angle is, just because someone comes to tell me God told him so, does not mean i wont question it, the same way i would question a pastor who performs a miracle on TV and the guy who has been blind from death can now identify all the different spectra of colors 5mins from miraculously receiving sight.

It is us africans that are the most laughable, buying everything that has been used to keep us down without questioning it. And this goes for religions in general, and not just christianity,

Finally, i dont expect you to believe what i believe, I just expect people should question things given to them especially when they have questions.
Re: My Friend Hates God. Don't Know What To Do. Advice by Lady2(f): 9:48pm On Aug 12, 2008
why was his named changed from yahsau to jesus?

1) His name was never changed from Yeshua to Jesus. That's like saying a piece of cloth changed from rouge to red. It is the same thing.
2) We all speak different language. My grandmother an edo woman calls him Ijesu, my yoruba aunt calls him Jesu Christi.
3) Because we all speak different languages and have different cultures.

why was'nt mohammeds name or all the other founders of the major religions changed?
To my knowledge, to be muslim you also adopt the arabic culture, and names and all. Islam was introduced to the world in arabic, and that stuck.

Christianity was introduced to the world in whatever language that part of the world speaks. Making it easier to be acceptable and showing that no one ethnic group is better than the other or more superior than the other.

I don't agree with the Islamic view that when you pray in arabic it is much more accepted than God, that makes every other language and culture on earth inferior and if God wants us to speak one language as in the case of calling God Allah alone then he would have made sure we all spoke the same language and had the same culture.
All that does is drive a wedge between cultures and in so doing people.

why should people accept jesus as his name when such a name never existed at the time of yahsau?

Because rouge in french is accepted as red in english and as rojo in spanish. It is the same thing.

its smacks of some shenanigan to me by the founders of the christain religion to fit into some pattern or agenda. what has jesus got to do with yahsua?

you're basically saying what has rouge got to do with red or rojo? I say a lot seeing that they are the same.

does yahsua mean jesus  in greek?

Did you read my post that you were replying to?

any co relation between the names?

It is the same thing.
Also did you read my post that you are replying to or are you just wanting to ask questions and not looking for answers. Because I have no time for you, I have spent a great deal of time dealing with those who have no need of a response but just wish to cast doubt.

If that is your purpose I am not the one. I am deeply rooted in my faith and understand it and still learning but know the general idea and know it as truth. So go find a weakling, i am not one.
Re: My Friend Hates God. Don't Know What To Do. Advice by Betty605: 9:54pm On Aug 12, 2008
@ TOPIC,
WE REALLY CAN'T FORCE ANYONE TO BELIEVE IN ANY1 YEA,
WHAT WE MUST DO IS, PUT THEM IN OUR PRAYERS YEA; TRY SHOWING
THE PERSON A GOOD EXAMPLE OF WHAT A GOOD XTIAN IS ;
REMIND THE PERSON OF ALL THE BLESSINGS GOD HAS GIVEN, AND ALL THE THINGS
HE'z done, LITTLE THINGS LIKE THIS CAN MAKE HIM/HER HAVE A SECOND THOUGHT.[/color[color=#006600]](also try telling s/he bout testimonies and stuff, because during temptations like this, that's when the devil
knows God is about to give u so much blessings, so the devil would try to do everything possible, to stop u,
from receiving your blessing).

@~Lady~, happy now (was typing fast), dat y,
Re: My Friend Hates God. Don't Know What To Do. Advice by Lady2(f): 10:02pm On Aug 12, 2008
Lady,
Why do you assume I am an atheist just cause I question the bible?

I apologise

It amazes me how most christians are willing to wish away and pretend they understand how the earth suddenly became populated from 2people. Even though, Esau was scared of being sent east by God, because he didnt know what the 'others' would do to him.

Not all think this way. We have come a long way in understanding, the teaching is still the same but the understanding of it has improved.

Christians can't seem to explain how a diverse set of people can come from the 2people, and still remain genetically strong, even thoug we know in-breeding weakens the stock as you go down the line (not to mention the sin of incest).

Do you have samples of the first people to show that they were stronger than us today?
The incest law came in the time of Moses, millions of years after Adam and Eve.

it is amazing how noone can explain (or rather choose to ignore) literature from other people/cultures/traditions that have literature that predates christianiry and are astonishingly correct in accounts of things that can be proved and dated.

No one is disputing it or even ignoring it. We know that Christianity started 2000 years ago. We know that life existed before Christianity came to be. We have never dismissed that.
Do not mistake it to be that the Bible was written as one book and in one time period. It was written over thousands of centuries. As time went on and a book was written it was added to the previous one, over those thousands of centuries.
When reading the Bible one has to understand that the people who wrote the book wrote it over thousands of generations and the style of writing improved as time went on. The style in Genesis is completely different from the style in Ezekiel and that too is different from the style in Matthew, and Corinthians, and Revelations.
It wasn't just one person writing the books either.
Just as Zora Neal Hurston's style is different from Maya Angelou so is the style of Matthew different from John, yet they conveyed the same message.

It is amazing how christians will not ask how men could live up to 900yrs old back then, but despite technological advances, a man will be lucky to get to a 100 ( i guess we have sinned, right?) and it conveniently gets dated to the 3scores and 10.

Lolol. You just showed how ignorant you are of not just Christianity but also science. Incase you haven't noticed the life span of people do change. Just ask your doctor.

I could go on, but my angle is, just because someone comes to tell me God told him so, does not mean i wont question it, the same way i would question a pastor who performs a miracle on TV and the guy who has been blind from death can now identify all the different spectra of colors 5mins from miraculously receiving sight.

I agree you should question. I also question the pastors on t.v. if the person can immediately tell the different spectra of colours within 5 mins of receiving sight without anyone educating him or her. I won't agree.

Unfortunately for Christianity, it has been abused by so called pastors time and time again.

It is us africans that are the most laughable, buying everything that has been used to keep us down without questioning it. And this goes for religions in general, and not just christianity,

I would like to know when you think Christianity came to Africa.
Re: My Friend Hates God. Don't Know What To Do. Advice by Lady2(f): 10:05pm On Aug 12, 2008
@ TOPIC,
WE REALLY CAN'T FORCE ANYONE WHO OR WHO NOT TO BELIEVE IN YEA,
WHAT WE MUST DO IS, PUT THEM IN OUR PRAYERS YEA, TRY SHOWING
THE PERSON A GOOD EXAMPLE OF WHAT BEING A CHRISTIAN CAN BE LIKE,REMIND THE PERSON OF ALL THE BLESSINGS GOD HAS GIVEN, AND ALL THE THINGS
HE HAS MADE, LITTLE THINGS LIKE THIS CAN MAKE HIM/HER HAVE A SECOND THOUGHT.[/color[color=#006600]](also try telling s/he bout testimonies and stuff, because during temptations like this, that when the devil
knows God is bout to give u so much blessings, so he would try to do everything possible, to stop u,
from receibing your blessing).

Ok sister, don't mean to offend you bt can you do a little spelling or grammar check before you post. We're not perfect and we may not catch all but it wouldn't hurt to do a little check.

I do aree with you though. We can only pray for them and show them through our own actions.
Re: My Friend Hates God. Don't Know What To Do. Advice by LeMoor(m): 10:27pm On Aug 12, 2008
lol,
there goes the condescension again, 'pray for them', and save them from sure perdition eh?

Lady, back to your response,
I am not quite adept at quoting here, so i will just take your points bullet by bullet,

How do you mean the teaching is the same, but understanding has improved? I will contend, it is the ease of interpretation to suit our lives/needs that have improved.

I think you have totally missed my point on the in-breeding line i put in there. How could Moses have been millions of yrs after Adam and eve when the bible dates the earth to be 7000yrs at most?

Lol, I am not talking about the christainity that started post-jesus 2000 yrs ago. i am talking about the road map (herein called the bible) that christians use as the proof of how they came to be (a la creation, garden of eden, etc etc). So please don't patronise me.

Again, i am not talking about the story-telling style of the different books of the bible. I have questioned the contents. Unless ou tell me, Genesis didnt say cain slew abel or that it meant a different thing. I am farmiliar with different writing styles, but the crux of any literature remains the crux, regardless of the mode of delivery,

Again, I laugh out loud, cos you just called me ignorant. Life spans do change, but as dramatically as 800yrs? with improving technology? I would have expected you to come with another angle that might have better explained it (e.g the calendar and dating system), tha is assuming they did live to be 900yrs old. LOL!!!! My dear, i am anything but ignorant,

When did Christianity come to Africa? lol, i know my history, I know there is a clear difference btw when it first reached africa and when it started getting influential, The influence didnt reallt start until the 15th century with the portuguese. But got to North Africa and Ethiopia a lot earlier than that,
Re: My Friend Hates God. Don't Know What To Do. Advice by rampant(f): 10:33pm On Aug 12, 2008
May God have mercy on the atheists smiley smiley
Re: My Friend Hates God. Don't Know What To Do. Advice by chucksd: 10:45pm On Aug 12, 2008
WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE IGBO BELIF IN CHUKWU THE SUPREME GOD WHOM THE NEED INTERMIDIARIES LIKE AMADIOHA IN IMAGE FORM(IDOL) TO COMMUNICATE TO AND THE CATHOLIC BELIF IN GOD WHOM THE COMMUNICATE TO THROUGH VIRGIN MARY IN IMAGE FORM(IDOL).I THINK IT IS ALL THE SAME SO I WONDER WHY OUR FOREFATHERS WHERE CALLED PAGANS BY THE EUROPEANS WHILE STILL ACCEPTING CHUKWU AS THE SAME GOD WITH THEIRS

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Bishop Simeon Okah Bans Members Without PVC From Flock Of Christ Mission, Warri / Which Of These Two Sounds Like Good News To You? / Why Sex Videos Would Lead Many Souls To Hell

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 128
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.