Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,627 members, 7,820,215 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:35 AM

My Friend Hates God. Don't Know What To Do. Advice - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / My Friend Hates God. Don't Know What To Do. Advice (22255 Views)

These Means That God Don't Know That Prevention Is Better Than Cure / Reasons Why Men Of God Don't Preach This Part Of The Scripture (bible). / Re: My Friend Hates God. Don't Know What To Do. Advice (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Friend Hates God. Don't Know What To Do. Advice by irepme(f): 11:24pm On Aug 12, 2008
as 4 d second point,only by God's grace are we saved
Re: My Friend Hates God. Don't Know What To Do. Advice by mazaje(m): 11:40pm On Aug 12, 2008
irepme:

as 4 d second point,only by God's grace are we saved

what is god grace and saved from what? are the muslims ,hindus,shinto,buddist etc also included in his grace? who is god? is it allah, buddah ,jehova, zeus, sahinmaska etc. why do we need to be saved? saved from who and what?
Re: My Friend Hates God. Don't Know What To Do. Advice by Lady2(f): 2:16am On Aug 13, 2008
First let me say it is quite difficult to follow you without the quoting this. I don't want to misunderstand you or make an assumption as to what you are replying to. To quote, well the way I know it, you copy what the person said, pin pointing to what you want to reply to, then when you are replying you click on the quote icon and paste what you copied. Hope that helps.

How do you mean the teaching is the same, but understanding has improved? I will contend, it is the ease of interpretation to suit our lives/needs that have improved.

Ok the interpretation helps with the understanding, so how's that different from what I said?

I think you have totally missed my point on the in-breeding line i put in there. How could Moses have been millions of years after Adam and eve when the bible dates the earth to be 7000yrs at most?

I did get your point, and I am telling you that the in-breeding (incest) rule didn't come until Moses' day. oh sorry I meant thousands from Adam to Moses.
The Bible does not in anyway imply that the earth is about 7000yrs old. I stated somewhere (don't remember where) that creation may not have been in the seven days (sunday to saturday) literally as we know it, but may have been in seven intervals of time. This is an example of the style of writing as I mentioned. We ae too quick to take things literal in the Bible when not all things are meant to be literal.
The Bible doesn't make mention of what B.C. Adam and Eve were created and then tell us what B.C Noah's Ark was built. If it does then we could be able to make the claim that the Bible states that the earth was created about 7000yrs ago.
But not only that. A lot of people have the misconception that the earth itself was formed on the first day, it wasn't. It lingered for a while. It was just there empty. The God decided to create inhabitants of the earth, that's when he started creating everything.
The order of evolution actually follows the order of the Bible. I tried to find my friend's write up on it, takes too long, so when I have more time to devote to it, I will show you.

Again, i am not talking about the story-telling style of the different books of the bible. I have questioned the contents. Unless ou tell me, Genesis didnt say cain slew abel or that it meant a different thing. I am farmiliar with different writing styles, but the crux of any literature remains the crux, regardless of the mode of delivery,

No I am not stating that, but purely that the style of writing was to send a message to the people of that time, and we have to understand history in order to understand it. Unfortunately not everyone is a historian, fortunately there are those who are and have helped us or at least broken in down for us.
Understanding the style of writing at that time will help you in understanding the messge to be grasped. Most of what is in the Bible was not to be taken literally, and that has been the problem in understanding the Bible.

For example. Tales by the moon light that were told to us while we were kids usually talked about the tortoise or the lion or the elepphant and the spider, but does that mean that the elephant and the spider communicate in that way? No, but there is a message to be learned. We usually learned of the cunning way of the tortoise the mighty way of the lion and the smart way of the spider.

Lol, I am not talking about the christainity that started post-jesus 2000 years ago. i am talking about the road map (herein called the bible) that christians use as the proof of how they came to be (a la creation, garden of eden, etc etc). So please don't patronise me.

Then be clear and concise in your posts because you weren't. You stated Christianity, so if you were talking about pre-chrisitianity state so, and don't be so confusing.

Now with that being said. Scientists make it seem that what they find disproves Christianity, but if they actually study the Bible and the way it goes, it really doesn't disprove Christianity at all, but shows their misunderstanding of it. But just as science is being explained more and more with time, so is Christianity.

Like I said the literal sense of Christianity is just plain ignorance of the Bible, and thinking that the Bible is going to outline the exact animals that were created misses the point. The Bible would be much bigger today. there is no doubt that the Bible is less detailed than science but still doesn't mean that it is wrong in the order in which things came to be.

The Bible is a law of God book, an understanding of God book, and an understanding of man book. It is not a book of when was this technology invented. That has nothing to do with the worship of God or the understanding of man's conscience and moral ways and spirit.

Again, I laugh out loud, because you just called me ignorant. Life spans do change, but as dramatically as 800yrs? with improving technology? I would have expected you to come with another angle that might have better explained it (e.g the calendar and dating system), tha is assuming they did live to be 900yrs old. LOL!!!! My dear, i am anything but ignorant,

Yes with improving technology. You cannot tell me that last two centuries when people lived longer they had the technology of today. Infact even with the improving of technology, the average life span has decreased. I know it seems so hard to comprehend, because technology is supposed to make everything better, but it hasn't. Infact it has created a whole new set of problems for us.
Notice that people who live in the country are much happier and more satisfied with life therefore leading to a higher life span than those in those in the city.
We tend to believe that when we come up with all these different technology we can make things better, but all it's done is left us even more unhappy, even with those who think they are happy (those are the one lying to themselves or are measuring hapiness materially).

When did Christianity come to Africa? lol, i know my history, I know there is a clear difference between when it first reached africa and when it started getting influential, The influence didnt reallt start until the 15th century with the portuguese. But got to North Africa and Ethiopia a lot earlier than that,

hmmmmmm. ok o.
Re: My Friend Hates God. Don't Know What To Do. Advice by Ascony(m): 5:44am On Aug 13, 2008
@ poster

Do u know what to do? Walk up to ur friend, give him a big smile wink cheesy cheesy and tell him that he is right. God does not exist. He is only a making of our imaginations. The concept of God is the greatest fiction that has caught the fancies of men.
I mean look around u, isnt it obvious that there is no God? If there is a God, then why are we arguing this whole thing. If there is a God, he would have proved himself to unbelievers a long time ago. If there is a God, as nothing is too much for him to do, proving himself real would be a piece of cake to him.
So your friend is 100% right. Believe him. Trying to discourage his belief is a waste of time because he had found the absolute truth.
Re: My Friend Hates God. Don't Know What To Do. Advice by nguage(m): 5:53am On Aug 13, 2008
You have a smart friend, a very smart one.
Re: My Friend Hates God. Don't Know What To Do. Advice by Chrisbenogor(m): 8:58am On Aug 13, 2008
@mazaje once again enough respect for your ideas I thought I was alone summary religion is a necessary evil could not have been better said.
Re: My Friend Hates God. Don't Know What To Do. Advice by Gamine(f): 9:09am On Aug 13, 2008
Hating something dosnt show indifference.

It shows anger about something one cannot comprehend.

Tell your friend to calm down, ask him what the root of his issue is
Re: My Friend Hates God. Don't Know What To Do. Advice by Amax(m): 11:33am On Aug 13, 2008
God made you his/her Friend for you to add value to him.Do you belive in prayer? if yes, you can pray and change his heart.Every thing on this planet have solution.Stop complaining and pray for that.
Re: My Friend Hates God. Don't Know What To Do. Advice by mekk(m): 12:05pm On Aug 13, 2008
A fool has said in his heart there is no GOd the scripture said.
You friend must be some miserable fool,
what the heck is he going thru anyway,
that would warrant such hateful gusts to
challenge or question his creator?
Re: My Friend Hates God. Don't Know What To Do. Advice by nmadi(f): 1:02pm On Aug 13, 2008
My fellow nairalander, this is a personal experience I am telling you, I have found out that there is absolutely nothing prayer cannot change, the fact remains that there is nothing under the Heaven that prayers cannot change, NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE WITH GOD. Keep on praying for the salvation of your friend soul, it may take time for the result to manifest, but it will surely manifest because God is not a liar and His words stands forever.

God bless you
Re: My Friend Hates God. Don't Know What To Do. Advice by Ynot(m): 1:51pm On Aug 13, 2008
Get a bottle of champagne for your friend and both of you should get busy with it for he has finally opened his eyes to the greatest lie ever told - GOD.

Ooooh if only our fore-fathers had the courage, they would've joined together and maim all those early christ-peddlers that showed up in africa. Situation would've been positively different in africa right now.
Re: My Friend Hates God. Don't Know What To Do. Advice by eminemkayc: 2:02pm On Aug 13, 2008
MY GOODNESS!! THIS IS VERY MYSTERIOUS AND STRANGE!! FOR SOMEONE NOT TO BELIEVE GOD? HMM, I DONT EVEN NO WHERE AND HOW TO RESPOND TO THIS ISSUE!! BUT ONE THING IS CLEAR GOD EXISTS!! WHETHER ANYONE LIKES IT OR NOT!! RATHER THAN BEING IMPIOUS, I THINK THE DUDE SHOULD PICK UP A BIBLE AND READ THE BOOK OF ISIAH!! THE BIBLE MAKES IT CLEAR IN JOHN 3:36 THAT THE WRATH OF GOD AWAITS THOSE THAT DON'T BELIEVE HE EXISTS!! FOR ONE THING, ALL THE BIBLE PREDICTED OF THE LAST DAYS IS WHAT WE SEE HAPPENING AROUND US!! THEN WHY THE DISBELIEF!! JOHN 1:1-2 TAKES STINT TO DELINEATE THE FACT THAT THE WORLD OF GOD IS GOD HIMSELF!! HEBREW 4:12 SAYS AGAIN THAT THE WORD OF GOD IS QUICK AND SHARPER THAN ANY TWO EDGED SWORD!! AGAIN, ISIAH 55:9 OR THEREABOUT LETS US KNOW HOW GOD VALUES HIS WORD WHEN HE SAYS THAT HEAVEN AND EARTH WOULD PASS AWAY IF HIS WORDS DONT COME TO PASS! SO WHAT ELSE!! IN CONCISE TERMS, GOD DEY KAMPE!! grin grin grin
Re: My Friend Hates God. Don't Know What To Do. Advice by tpia: 2:05pm On Aug 13, 2008
hmmm.

This le Moor, you seem to be another Huxley who posts questions but rejects any answer that doesnt conform to what you want to hear.
Re: My Friend Hates God. Don't Know What To Do. Advice by LeMoor(m): 2:13pm On Aug 13, 2008
tpia:

hmmm.

This le Moor, you seem to be another Huxley who posts questions but rejects any answer that doesnt conform to what you want to hear.

I didnt see any answers. Answers are concrete and backed up with facts, not conjectures or theories. Besides I dont have to accept it just cause someone said so.
Give me something tangible to work with,
Re: My Friend Hates God. Don't Know What To Do. Advice by eminemkayc: 2:14pm On Aug 13, 2008
Do u know what to do? Walk up to your friend, give him a big smile Wink Cheesy Cheesy and tell him that he is right. God does not exist. He is only a making of our imaginations. The concept of God is the greatest fiction that has caught the fancies of men.
I mean look around u, isnt it obvious that there is no God? If there is a God, then why are we arguing this whole thing. If there is a God, he would have proved himself to unbelievers a long time ago. If there is a God, as nothing is too much for him to do, proving himself real would be a piece of cake to him.
So your friend is 100% right. Believe him. Trying to discourage his belief is a waste of time because he had found the absolute truth.
MAY GOD HAVE MERCY ON U!!
Re: My Friend Hates God. Don't Know What To Do. Advice by tpia: 2:20pm On Aug 13, 2008
Le Moor:

I didnt see any answers. Answers are concrete and backed up with facts, not conjectures or theories. Besides I don't have to accept it just cause someone said so.

For example- you posted a picture of a Somalian refugee, which you try to blame God for.

Someone posted a response, informing you that Somalia is a Muslim country, so why are you blaming the Christian God.

You ignored that, then went ahead and questioned why Jesus is spelled with a J, since the letter J wasnt used during Jesus time. What a question, by the way. Makes you sound rather daft, if you ask me.

Your logic is erratic at best, though you seem to consider yourself a genius.

And you're not interested so much in hearing the answers, as in showing off. Pride is a great barrier to knowledge.
Re: My Friend Hates God. Don't Know What To Do. Advice by FBS: 2:37pm On Aug 13, 2008
there is god! believe it!!!!
Re: My Friend Hates God. Don't Know What To Do. Advice by kufreabasi(m): 3:00pm On Aug 13, 2008
search him all round,such is not a living human being,he's a dead man
Re: My Friend Hates God. Don't Know What To Do. Advice by lexicon(m): 3:19pm On Aug 13, 2008
See let me make a point. the more you think about existence of God, the more you get lost in it and the more your sin. so just forget it. If you like worship him and if u like don'nt. My own is enough for me , u can't add your sin to my own.
Re: My Friend Hates God. Don't Know What To Do. Advice by irepme(f): 3:34pm On Aug 13, 2008
@mazaje yes its by God's grace and favour that we're saved.mchew
and as 4 pplz who dont believe there iz a God,u dont have to becuz one day every knee shall bow and confeesss that He is Lord
Re: My Friend Hates God. Don't Know What To Do. Advice by Sholeyb: 3:39pm On Aug 13, 2008
May I suggest that you pray for God to reveal himself to your friend and answer his questions.

If someone feels the way your friend does, u may try to answer their questions but I doubt it would resolve the matter. Furthermore, with some of the questions he is asking, only God can answer it correctly e.g why did he create satan when he knew that he would fall? No one knows why, it is not recorded in the bible.

On his question of why no christian has been able to prove conclusively that there is God, can anyone (especially him) prove conclusivley that there is no God?

One thing though, no matter how he feels he will see God face to face one day. Because someone cannot see air does not mean that it does not exist. Pray for him
Re: My Friend Hates God. Don't Know What To Do. Advice by iyeyemi: 4:55pm On Aug 13, 2008
guess there is a higher being, but noone really and truly knows who or what that being is, so texts like the bible and the koran are all just attempts and explainin what noone really understands or knows
Re: My Friend Hates God. Don't Know What To Do. Advice by mazaje(m): 5:05pm On Aug 13, 2008
iyeyemi:

guess there is a higher being, but noone really and truly knows who or what that being is, so texts like the bible and the koran are all just attempts and explainin what noone really understands or knows

Very true.
Re: My Friend Hates God. Don't Know What To Do. Advice by Nobody: 5:12pm On Aug 13, 2008
Le Moor:

I didnt see any answers. Answers are concrete and backed up with facts, not conjectures or theories. Besides I don't have to accept it just cause someone said so.

I dont see any alternative answers from you either. Answers should be concrete and backed up with facts, not conjectures, theories, meaningless questions, endless but intellectually poor arguments or spurius allegations.

I need something tangible to work with too. Between you, Mazaje and Okija . . . i am yet to come across some stimulating train of thought.
Re: My Friend Hates God. Don't Know What To Do. Advice by Nobody: 5:23pm On Aug 13, 2008
This post is from Le Moor

I think you have totally missed my point on the in-breeding line i put in there. How could Moses have been millions of years after Adam and eve when the bible dates the earth to be 7000yrs at most?

The biblical genealogy from Adam to Moses cannot be millions of yrs in between. The bible never says anything about the earth being at most 7000yrs old, if you read between the lines in Genesis and Jeremiah . . . it is clear that there was a world prior to the creation of man.

Again, I laugh out loud, because you just called me ignorant. Life spans do change, but as dramatically as 800yrs? with improving technology? I would have expected you to come with another angle that might have better explained it (e.g the calendar and dating system), tha is assuming they did live to be 900yrs old. LOL!!!! My dear, i am anything but ignorant,

You indeed are ignorant. There was nothing like HIV/AIDS some 100 yrs ago for example . . . should we then disregard its existence now?
There used to dinosaurs on earth just a few million years ago . . . why did they dramatically disappear . . . that is assuming they ever existed at all? How has science explained that?
Re: My Friend Hates God. Don't Know What To Do. Advice by huxley(m): 5:26pm On Aug 13, 2008
davidylan:

This post is from Le Moor

The biblical genealogy from Adam to Moses cannot be millions of years in between. The bible never says anything about the earth being at most 7000yrs old, if you read between the lines in Genesis and Jeremiah . . . it is clear that there was a world prior to the creation of man.

You indeed are ignorant. There was nothing like HIV/AIDS some 100 years ago for example . . . should we then disregard its existence now?
There used to dinosaurs on earth just a few million years ago . . . why did they dramatically disappear . . . that is assuming they ever existed at all? How has science explained that?

Chapter and Verse please? I thought it was THE FALL that brought death into the world. If there was a pre-adamite world, what happen to them since there clearly would have been no death in the pre-adamite world?
Re: My Friend Hates God. Don't Know What To Do. Advice by mazaje(m): 5:31pm On Aug 13, 2008
davidylan:

I don't see any alternative answers from you either. Answers should be concrete and backed up with facts, not conjectures, theories, meaningless questions, endless but intellectually poor arguments or spurius allegations.

I need something tangible to work with too. Between you, Mazaje and Okija . . . i am yet to come across some stimulating train of thought.

ok lets lets go now for god so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son that whosoever believes in him should not perish but have ever lasting life. which world was god referring to? the middle east? is the middle east the whole world? why was'nt it china, india or the americas who's history predated christ? why should god send his son or himself or what ever to a small population of people? why does god have a chosen people? the people living in china and indai alone at that time were over 100 times the population of the jews. why are they no prophets amongs the people living in china, indai and the americas in the bible? are you trying to tell me that your almighty god forgot about them. for god so loved the world? which world ? isareal? the jews never knew about the chinese and the indains when they were writting there stories and fables simple.
Re: My Friend Hates God. Don't Know What To Do. Advice by iyc(m): 6:47pm On Aug 13, 2008
I have tried to get a grasp of the issues on ground here, and this is my opinion, more like my belief.

I believe God is too big for one religion, though not all religions are addressing the same almighty. If you study the bible a bit, you will appreciate that the lineage of muslimsis highlighted, just as i hear that the lineage of christians is noted in the koran.

If your friend chooses to hate God, that's his choice. You can try to answer his questions and pray for him, and nothing might change. Its funny that those of us who believe in God find it really trying to walk with him like he requires us to. How then do you start being a minister to another, when you have not removed the speck of dust in your eye.

Talk to him about other things, make sure his sanity remains safe for now, and when God is ready he will address the issue in the way he knows best. These are the stuff testimonies are made out of. I say all this because I have been there and I am still trying to work out this tough thing called salvation, but like the bible says, and which I believe, "hope will not be shamed". So keep praying and hoping and, like always, God will do it.
Re: My Friend Hates God. Don't Know What To Do. Advice by Nobody: 6:51pm On Aug 13, 2008
huxley:

Chapter and Verse please?

Read Genesis 1 VERY CAREFULLY. come back and report your findings, then we'll go from there.

huxley:

I thought it was THE FALL that brought death into the world.

THE FALL in the garden brought death to the MAN created in the garden. Whatever happened then would have no consequence on a pre-existent world as they were not under the same injunction not to eat of the tree of good and evil (the reason for THE FALL).

huxley:

If there was a pre-adamite world, what happen to them since there clearly would have been no death in the pre-adamite world?

the only way "there clearly would have been no death in the pre-adamite world" is if you were the one who created that world.
"Death" as defined by the fall in the garden simply means separation from God (note Adam did not die immediately he ate the fruit even though he had been warned that "the day thou eatest thou shalt die"wink. Adam was created to dwell in God's presence in the garden, the fall was his separation from that divine presence . . .

this has nothing to do with the pre-adamite world. Dont get things confused.
Re: My Friend Hates God. Don't Know What To Do. Advice by Nobody: 6:56pm On Aug 13, 2008
mazaje:

ok lets lets go now for god so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son that whosoever believes in him should not perish but have ever lasting life. which world was god referring to? the middle east? is the middle east the whole world? why was'nt it china, india or the americas who's history predated christ? why should god send his son or himself or what ever to a small population of people? why does god have a chosen people? the people living in china and indai alone at that time were over 100 times the population of the jews. why are they no prophets amongs the people living in china, indai and the americas in the bible? are you trying to tell me that your almighty god forgot about them. for god so loved the world? which world ? isareal? the jews never knew about the chinese and the indains when they were writting there stories and fables simple.

Your ignorance has made you mix two things up and gotten you confused beyond belief. You quote John 3:16 . . . which clearly talks about salvation AFTER the death and resurrection of Christ THEN you begin to compare the Jews (the chosen ones) with the gentiles PRE-John 3:16?

The death and resurrection of Christ fulfilled John 3:16 . . . that is why today brother Paul's missionary journey included the middle east, brother Philip preached as far as Ethiopia and parts of Africa . . . We are not conclusively told about the missionary journeys of the other apostles but 2000yrs after, the death and resurrection of Christ as told in the bible is house-hold knowledge in EVERY NATION on earth.

anymore foolish question?
Re: My Friend Hates God. Don't Know What To Do. Advice by mazaje(m): 7:02pm On Aug 13, 2008
davidylan:

Your ignorance has made you mix two things up and gotten you confused beyond belief. You quote John 3:16 . . . which clearly talks about salvation AFTER the death and resurrection of Christ THEN you begin to compare the Jews (the chosen ones) with the gentiles PRE-John 3:16?

The death and resurrection of Christ fulfilled John 3:16 . . . that is why today brother Paul's missionary journey included the middle east, brother Philip preached as far as Ethiopia and parts of Africa . . . We are not conclusively told about the missionary journeys of the other apostles but 2000yrs after, the death and resurrection of Christ as told in the bible is house-hold knowledge in EVERY NATION on earth.

anymore foolish question?

keep on providing meaningless and stupid answers. why didnt your brother paul and philip go to china, india and the americas. the death and resurrection of christ is house hold name in every nation? are you kidding me?
Re: My Friend Hates God. Don't Know What To Do. Advice by Nobody: 7:17pm On Aug 13, 2008
mazaje:

keep on providing meaningless and stupid answers. why didnt your brother paul and philip go to china, india and the americas. the death and resurrection of christ is house hold name in every nation? are you kidding me?

More proof of baseless bias. Do you have concrete proof that NOT A SINGLE ONE of the apostles ever went to China, India or the Americas? Or are you one of those slow witted ones who believe the hubris that a european explorer by name columbus "discovered" America?

- You initially included the middle east in your allegations, now that i provide proof suddenly you turn full circle and drop the middle east to cling to china and India . . . it is sufficient proof to anyone interested that you don't really have full grasp of what u're arguing about since you didnt know that Paul actually travelled as far as Syria, Lebanon, what is known as Jordan today and that Phillip preached as far as the horn of Africa.

There were so many other apostles whose journeys are not highlighted in the bible . . . do you have proof to show they went no where?

The bible is common knowledge in every nation on earth . . . tear your hair out all you want.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Pastor Adeboye: I Don't Reply My Enemies Because Of This... / Which Of These Two Sounds Like Good News To You? / What Personal Experience Made You Believe God's Miracles Do Happen?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 116
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.