Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,909 members, 7,814,070 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 05:33 AM

How To Propose To A Man - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / How To Propose To A Man (27056 Views)

10 Signs He's Not Going To Propose Marriage / Is It Ever Okay For A Woman To Propose To A Man? / If You Propose To Ur Lady And She Refuses, What Next? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Propose To A Man by lalasticlala(m): 9:41pm On Aug 12, 2014
Now that you have finally met the man of your dreams, you are all ready to walk down the aisle. And yet despite you dropping hints so many times, if your guy just doesn’t seem to get it, it may be time to take matters in your own hand.

Here are a few tips on how to propose to a man and write the happily-ever-after script yourself.

BE HONEST WITH YOURSELF

Before you pop the question to your boyfriend, ask yourself if this is what you really want. Don’t think of marriage as a band-aid for relationship problems – if you think being married will paper over the cracks already appearing in your relationship, you couldn’t be further from the truth. Marriage will only deepen the cracks and make any future marital obligations unbearable. Also it is not a good idea to propose marriage to a man when you know him for a very short time. It takes at least six months or longer to find out how you can resolve differences in a relationship and about as much to discover a guy’s previous three convictions and miserable credit history.
By asking him some right questions you can know whether he's keen on marrying you without having to propose yourself. Besides if you turn this into a game, you can propose playfully if you have to.

CONSIDER IF HE IS READY

Despite the great relationship you have, if your boyfriend hasn’t proposed to you, go over the most likely reasons for it. He could be just out of a bad relationship and hence not emotionally ready. Or he could be angling for a different job, a promotion, a change in career and wish to propose when he is financially more settled. Then again there are issues of priorities, goals and dreams in life – if you and your boyfriend do not share these, maybe he feels that there is no point in proposing marriage. Finally, who knows your boyfriend may be secretly planning to pop the question himself and is simply working up the nerve – in such case he might feel robbed if you propose to him first.

BUCK THE TREND

If you feel like bucking convention and popping the question yourself, find a creative method of proposing as well. Apart from the fact that it can be quite hard getting down on one knee, especially if you're in stilettos, consider the fact that the spectacle may leave your guy feeling a little less than manly. And even if he seems to be enjoying the proposal, your elation may soon dissipate once you find his head tilting down straight at your breasts.

TUNE IT TO HIS PERSONALITY

Before you pop the question to your man, consider what is in keeping with his personality. If your boyfriend is the type who likes a bit of drama in life, you can call up his favorite radio show and propose while requesting a special song for him. On the other hand if he is a foodie, plan a special home-cooked dinner for him, with candles, romantic music et al. Follow it up by mind-blowing sex and then mention marriage in the wonderful afterglow. Then again if your man is crazy about his football team, wait till it has won an important game after which the euphoria should carry your proposal through. For men who tend to avoid a show of emotional intimacy like a fancy candlelight dinner, a homelier context might do the trick. For him a gentle query over the washing up like “Would you like to share these suds... Forever?” will be less likely to induce a heart attack rather than a full on string quartet or sky-writing with ‘Marry Me'.

TIME IS RIGHT

Once you have decided on the exact method of proposal, you need to plan the moment. You could you pop the question the first thing on a date, and then you can spend the rest of your wonderfully planned day as a – hopefully – newly engaged couple. For instance after you meet your boyfriend you could say something like "I have this wonderful day planned for us, but I just can’t wait...I want us to spend it together as more than just boyfriend and girlfriend" and then propose. Or you hang out together all day long and then at the end of the perfect day ask him for his hand. For instance, after reminiscing all day, you could say something like "We have so many awesome memories...From now on, I want all my memories to have you in them." and then propose. If you wish to opt for the former, make sure you have an exit ready in case things don’t work out. On the other hand if you chose the second option, try not to be too nervous all day or to talk yourself out of the ultimate goal. In the end it is going to be a personal choice, guided by what you and your boyfriend are most comfortable with.

CHOOSE THE RIGHT VENUE

If you are thinking of proposing to your guy, a great idea would be to do it someplace special to the two of you. This could be where you had your first date, your first kiss, your first “I love you” moment. Then again it could also be your favorite park or a place that set the scene for your sweetest memory or maybe even your funniest moment together. The key is to choose a venue which familiar with just a hint of sentimental.If you do something too fantastic, like a vacation or a billboard advertisement, your guy may feel so overwhelmed or embarrassed that he could clam up or excuse himself from the scene.

THE ACTUAL QUESTION

There are many ways you can propose to your boyfriend without mouthing the traditional question “Will you marry me?”. You could casually slip in a question like ‘Why don't we get married?’ Or ‘Let's get hitched’ in a conversation. Or even bring about a note of fun and teasing with a question like ‘Want to tie the knot?’ or ‘Want to elope to Vegas?’ Finally if you lose your nerve, you could drop back to the more traditional methods, like mooching very slowly past jewelry shops, sighing longingly before a diamond ring on display and then asking him whether he likes gold or platinum!

11 Likes

Re: How To Propose To A Man by Waspy(m): 9:50pm On Aug 12, 2014
White ladies are already proposing, my Naija ladies are still busy friend zoning and love peddling undecided undecided

67 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Propose To A Man by Ezedon(m): 9:53pm On Aug 12, 2014
Long sermon, u could. ve gone straight to the point,

6 Likes

Re: How To Propose To A Man by englishmart(m): 9:56pm On Aug 12, 2014
Thread for desperate and impatient ladies

grin

24 Likes

Re: How To Propose To A Man by englishmart(m): 9:57pm On Aug 12, 2014
Ezedon: Long sermon, u could. ve go straight to the point
killing English since 1996

106 Likes

Re: How To Propose To A Man by nurey(m): 9:57pm On Aug 12, 2014
Haba how will you be waiting for a woman to propose to a man na. She can only give the body and signal, it is left for the man to interprete the signal and act on it. If he doesn't then he is a slow poke or he doesn't deserve het.
If a girl should propose to you, it will be the topic of nairaland for years.

10 Likes

Re: How To Propose To A Man by purplesummer(f): 9:59pm On Aug 12, 2014
Interesting if it becomes a trend grin
Damn, ladies will have to swallow a lot of pride to be able to go down on one knee and pop the question.

4 Likes

Re: How To Propose To A Man by bustyhelen(f): 9:59pm On Aug 12, 2014
Nigerian Women propose to guys when they say "Baby , when r u coming to c my parents naaa"?

lol

Not all these steps or tips which r 4 very confident white women.

35 Likes

Re: How To Propose To A Man by Ezedon(m): 9:59pm On Aug 12, 2014
englishmart: killing English since 1996
whatever

4 Likes

Re: How To Propose To A Man by purplesummer(f): 10:00pm On Aug 12, 2014
englishmart: killing English since 1996
grin grin you are wicked o

5 Likes

Re: How To Propose To A Man by bustyhelen(f): 10:01pm On Aug 12, 2014
nurey: Haba how will you be waiting for a woman to propose to a man na. She can only give the body and signal, it is left for the man to interprete the signal and act on it. If he doesn't then he is a slow poke or he doesn't deserve het.
If a girl should propose to you, it will be the topic of nairaland for years.

some guys just want to b dragged to d alter.

lol

7 Likes

Re: How To Propose To A Man by Tallesty1(m): 10:08pm On Aug 12, 2014
The first lady that did something close that to me got NO and the next will get something worse.

1 Like

Re: How To Propose To A Man by Tattooboy: 10:17pm On Aug 12, 2014
not in Naija. They (Naija ladies) aint dat bold.

2 Likes

Re: How To Propose To A Man by Tattooboy: 10:18pm On Aug 12, 2014
Tallesty1: The first lady that did something close that to me got NO and the next will get something worse.
u criosly need 2 grow up

40 Likes

Re: How To Propose To A Man by englishmart(m): 10:19pm On Aug 12, 2014
purplesummer:
grin grin you are wicked o
damn!
grin
Re: How To Propose To A Man by Mutuwa(m): 10:28pm On Aug 12, 2014
bustyhelen: Nigerian Women propose to guys when they say "Baby , when r u coming to c my parents naaa"?

lol

Not all these steps or tips which r 4 very confident white women.

Uv said it all

1 Like

Re: How To Propose To A Man by CharlieMaria(m): 10:30pm On Aug 12, 2014
I Don hear.

2 Likes

Re: How To Propose To A Man by Mutuwa(m): 10:31pm On Aug 12, 2014
Tattooboy: not in Naija. They (Naija ladies) aint dat bold.

Either thee become bold..or watch anoda bold chic takeaway her bread..joyfully..

6 Likes

Re: How To Propose To A Man by rattlesnake(m): 10:31pm On Aug 12, 2014
The good news is she will start paying the bills

1 Like

Re: How To Propose To A Man by sirjohnson(m): 10:31pm On Aug 12, 2014
Women should never propose to men. It will backfire. Read my reasons [url=2ck1zzd7vi]here[/url] and you will agree with me that its very dangerous.

2 Likes

Re: How To Propose To A Man by Nobody: 10:31pm On Aug 12, 2014
I didn't read this post but I have to put my thumbs up for the OP
Re: How To Propose To A Man by Jaideyone(m): 10:32pm On Aug 12, 2014
long method... just say the words "baby will you marry me?" while u are on top of him playing cow girl wink

you'll get a yes 95% of the time.

trust me...

5 Likes

Re: How To Propose To A Man by freshness2020: 10:32pm On Aug 12, 2014
Propose to a man? Na τ̲̅ђe woman marry the man, not the other way round!
Re: How To Propose To A Man by Jerrick(m): 10:33pm On Aug 12, 2014
They can't do it. grin Those lazy set of people always leave the job to be done by we men! grin...... For their ugly mind, they'd be like; ' what if I make a move and he says no, omo my own don finish be that ooo'. grin

2 Likes

Re: How To Propose To A Man by hatux: 10:33pm On Aug 12, 2014
This isn't possible in my own country! Woman proposes to a man!
Re: How To Propose To A Man by lalasticlala(m): 10:34pm On Aug 12, 2014
LeoAdewale: I didn't read this post but I have to put my thumbs up for the OP

lol
Re: How To Propose To A Man by 9jahubcom(m): 10:35pm On Aug 12, 2014
ha
Re: How To Propose To A Man by skyface00(m): 10:35pm On Aug 12, 2014
The shy guys require a little luring out of their shells, as they tend to wait in the wings for discovery. If you are into a shy guy, take note that you will have to ask him out (unless you feel like waiting around while he musters his courage). So why not put your outgoing personality to good use? Mr. mumuful lols will be eternally grateful that you made the first move

With a smooth hand touch, a door courteously opened with his hand on your lower back, dramatic eye contact and a lingering hug, he is telling you that he likes you without saying a word. Does his face light up when he sees you? Is he thoughtful and chivalrous? His body language is perhaps saying the things he cannot articulate. In fairness, he may just be a gentleman, but these little clues can also indicate an affection for his leading lady – YOU! Why not take the wheel and put your romantic relationship in gear?

5 Likes

Re: How To Propose To A Man by maryhaam(f): 10:35pm On Aug 12, 2014
Hmmmm,no way
Re: How To Propose To A Man by 9jahubcom(m): 10:35pm On Aug 12, 2014
hatux: This isn't possible in my own country! Woman proposes to a man!
were
Re: How To Propose To A Man by MrRhymes101(m): 10:35pm On Aug 12, 2014
Naija babes r not bold enough to do this. Did u notice they r not even bold enough to comment on this thread?

1 Like

Re: How To Propose To A Man by Nobody: 10:35pm On Aug 12, 2014

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Would Relationships Survive If "Sex" Was Removed / Name One Bad Habit Your Partner Has? / Ladies What Do Guys Really Do That Annoys You?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.