Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,419 members, 7,819,513 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:24 PM

Kalabari People! - Culture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Kalabari People! (115734 Views)

Intersting Facts About The Kalabari Ijaws Of Rivers State (PICTURES) / Rivers Wedding (opobo N Kalabari) / Kalabari Marriage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Kalabari People! by Nobody: 5:26pm On Jul 11, 2009
Kiwi,
You are my cousin if you are C I berepikis son. Cos my mom is a BEREPIKI an ABITE for for real. Kiwi why have yall left BEREPIKI compound in BAKANA to have been a wasted land ? Why did yall run away from it ?

Tom Alabraba

1 Like

Re: Kalabari People! by kiwi992(m): 11:42am On Jul 12, 2009
Hi Killayut,

I don't mean to come across as being unfriendly or anything like that but, what kind of question is that?  Why are you asking me?  How on earth would I know when I left Nigeria as a kid and haven't ever been back to the country (let alone Bakana), for nearly thirty five (35) years!  So much for our 'running away' from Berepiki's compound, as per your statement.

Come to think of it, what you've observed about the emptiness in Berepiki's compound is a clear sign of progress.  Yes, progress made by members of that family compound, having to seek their fortunes elsewhere in Nigeria and other parts of the world, inorder to better their lives, be it through education, business, professional or academic career, instead of being stuck in the same old compound, doing nothing decent to improve their lot.  Not a lot of families could just get up and go, if you ask me.  Good on them!

Oh yeah, if it were safe for them to return home to Bakana to improve the town, they'd have gladly done so and that most definitely includes me.  Yeah, moi!  You don't know how sick to the back teeth I am, about living in the UK for this length of time.  I would give an arm and a leg to go back to my hometown (and nowhere else in Nigeria) if only it were safe to do so.  What - with all the fighting that's going on?  Go there and get killed simply because I want to populate my family compound?  That sounds like a not-so-sensible thing for anybody to do.  Actually, it would seem a very stupid step to take 'cos the one's safety comes first.  Bollocks to anything that compromises the one's safety.

Having said that, I know that your surname - Alabraba - is an Abonnema name.  Tell you the truth, I couldn't see the connection with Bakana from there, so much so, as to give the one grave concern regarding the state of Berepiki's compound, or can you?  No offence meant, mind, just a factual statement.  Such name as Monima Alabraba springs to mind as being a typical Abonnema (aka Nyemoni) name.    

Just for your information, my dad, the late Dr C. I. Berepiki was the last son of Iriabo (aka Ine), daughter of Paramount Chief India Iyalla (aka Pina Pina Inai), the founder of Bakana.  In case you didn't know, any direct descendant of the Iyallas (aka Yellowe) never lives elsewhere in Bakana, except in Iyalla's compound.  That's how it is with the Iyallas for whatever reason, fullstop.

By the way, the Iyallas (aka Yellowe - only because of the complexion of their skin - hence Pina Pina Inai) do actually originate from Tombia and such compound still exists in that town.

Just as an aside, wouldn't it be nice if the Berepikis (as well as other families in Bakana) would instil that sense of undying loyalty in their children, just like the Iyallas/Yellowes.

In view of the above, my dad grew up with his mum, brothers, sisters, cousins and so on, in Iyalla's compound, despite the fact that his dad was Chief Iwo Daso Berepiki and ruler of Berepiki's compound, with direct family roots in the oil town of Kula.

Back to your question - being that Berepiki's compound exists in Kula as well, perhaps we should ship those family members over to Bakana, just to make up the numbers.  How's that?  Oh yeah, we could do that, couldn't we?  I'm sure, that would make you happy and ease your concern, wouldn't it?  Let's do that then.  On the other hand, you could, if you wanted to, set us an example (as you say you are related to the Berepikis) and I'm sure others would follow suit.  

Our main house in Iyalla's compound is the ancestral family home of the Iyallas, right bang in the centre of the square, next to the tomb where Paramount Chief India Iyalla is buried.  Offsprings of the Iyallas build their homes around the main family house in Iyalla's compound, and just like my late dad did, I would do exactly the same thing by building my house in Iyalla's compound, were I to go and settle in Bakana, although I doubt it very much, in view of the unrest in the town.

Yet another deserter, you would say, wouldn't ya?  Hey! each one to their own, right?  The good thing is that people have choices - the freedom of choice to live wherever the one sees fit, despite the one's family background.  Glad that no-one has to make that decision for me, except I.  How so bloody nice eh?

If you are an Abite, then perhaps, you should know that an uncle of mine - Mr A. G. Abite (Aga Brothers) is also an Iyalla from his maternal family, as his mum (the late Elesia) was my dad's elder sister, hence, was also brought up in Iyalla's compound even though his dad was from Abonnema.  Same goes with Auntie Majorba (Ibiteinso Maternity Home), whose mum was also the late Elesia.  Lloyd Romeo, Eman, Inedi (all direct descendants of the Iyallas) were brought up in Iyalla's compound.

Others include the late Chief Vincent Yellowe (my dad's eldest brother), my dad's cousin - the former Ambassador Joe Iyalla, his nephews - former Senator Dr Ibiapuye Martyns-Yellow, Dr Mpakaboari Abite, Ngo Martyns-Yellowe, Wisdom Dokubo, to name but only a tiny few.  These were all brought up in Iyalla's compound because the Iyalla's direct descendants never live elsewhere in Bakana, except in Iyalla's compound, as I said before.  Dr Mpakaboari Abite, although brought up in Abonnema, eventually settled in Iyalla's compound.

As a kid, I lived with my dad in Iyalla's compound.  At that time, Berepiki's compound was vibrant and thriving.  I don't know whatever happened to all that 'cos I don't live in Nigeria.  Moreover, I've only heard this from you, for the first time. 

Maybe you should ask some other person instead of me 'cos I don't have any answer for you except what's been said here.  Perhaps other Berepikis that grew up in Berepikis compound would be better placed to answer your question.

Then again, people don't remain rooted in one place for the rest of their lives or do they?  Surely, people move with their jobs, emigrate, marry and leave their family compounds/hometowns, and all what not.

Moreover, what has Bakana got to offer its citizens by way of employment, to entice them to move back to the town (hence populate their family compounds), except some oil installations in the town that are polluting the environment, especially the New Calabar River on which Bakana stands.  Indeed, those oil installations are manned and operated by foreign workers, when the local populace is almost entirely jobless.

How about the fact that there's so much unrest in Bakana?  Factions belonging to the Iyallas and the Braides fighting each other over some stupid notion as to who founded Bakana, sharing of oil revenues and such.  Who wants to live in such a town at the risk of the one's own life?  Definitely not me and I'm sure a lot of people would agree to that.

kiwi992.

1 Like

Re: Kalabari People! by edlando: 2:35pm On Jul 16, 2009
Hello Bros KIWI,

It's quite a while now, i have been offline, missed you all.
Permit me to comment on Killayut's recent post concerning descendants of Berepiki staying outside the Homestead, Berepiki's Compound.
First, I would want to point out that, it sound strange and worrisome for Killayut, TOM Alabraba; to accuse other Berepiki descendants for not living and growing up within the Berepiki homestaed, Because, the Tom i know if my memory still serves me well, Did not live and grow up in berepiki's compound in Bakana, rather he he lived in Iyalla's Compound, precisely Elder solomon iyalla's compound, popularly called abraham solo wari, besides the christ army Church.
Other well known friends and relatives in same compound with TOM are IGONIKONYE, IBISO YELLOWE, TARIBO YELLOWE, Dr. Bob Yellowe, Akonte Alabraba, Mr. Jene Braide just to mention a few.
So to acuse others like Bros Kiwi for their preference for Iyalla compound over Berepiki is really uncalled for.
The Tom i know, whose mother i only got to know recently is a Berepiki, introduced to me by my mum. I respected and admired TOM while he was in Bakana, not even knowing then, he was a relative.
If it is the same TOM, as described above, Then i say, " I bote" " I bolate ", because for a very long long time he was outside the country, precisely he left Bakana for America.
And if it's you, the same Tom, I would rather you Help and encourage Bros KIWI return and settle down to bring his wealth of experience to enhance the lives of fellow folks, just the WAY our Brother Ken Yellowe is doing by investing in GAS GATHERING PROJECTS, whereby many gain means of lively hood, Ken Yellowe is from the Bagshaw extraction, who left the shores whilse he was a baby. He is touching lives.
If i still have the chance to grow up in that environment i'll still choose to live in Iyalla's compound for many reasons, though some of the reasons may not hold water in today's Bakana. More because negative forces had polluted the entire landscape.

edlando
Re: Kalabari People! by kiwi992(m): 8:21pm On Jul 18, 2009
Hi Ed,

Thanks for the input. 

Be honest with you, nobody could ever persuade me to go back to Bakana as long as there's unrest in the town.  How so sad 'cos Xmas this year would have been an ideal time for me to visit home.  Still, never mind - the one's safety comes first.

kiwi992.
Re: Kalabari People! by kiwi992(m): 2:20pm On Jul 21, 2009
Hi All

TRIBUTE TO THE LATE REX LAWSON - A TRUE KALABARI SON

Here are some clips that I lifted from Youtube.  Credit to the posters:

[flash=425,344]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBOXi3bJ7ug[/flash]

[flash=425,344]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFilIFOlZe8[/flash]

[flash=425,344]http://www.youtube.com/watch/v/BwFZi2OecOI[/flash]

[flash=425,344]http://www.youtube.com/watch/v/RLouRlWs1EE[/flash]

[flash=425,344]http://www.youtube.com/watch/v/a1TrZbDCGcM[/flash]

[flash=425,344]http://www.youtube.com/watch/v/C3Fp_q2URt8[/flash]

[flash=425,344]http://www.youtube.com/watch/v/W2i0A2U3Xj0[/flash]

Here's a cover of the Sawale song:

[flash=425,344]http://www.youtube.com/watch/v/wE4_mL-JVQI[/flash]

Yes, he's long gone but is still with us in spirit.  May his soul rest in peace, Amen.

kiwi992.
Re: Kalabari People! by nnaiah: 8:49pm On Jul 24, 2009
KIWI ALL THE WAY
Re: Kalabari People! by kiwi992(m): 1:08pm On Jul 25, 2009
Hey Nna,

Fancy seeing you here!

How's the preparation for the SAP Consultancy certification going?  Hope you guys haven't given up.  It'd be a damn shame if that happens, in view of the time and effort that some of you guys had put into it.   

I had to leave that thread 'cos I got sick of people asking me questions after questions.  Do let us know when you've passed the exams.

All the best to you.

kiwi992.
Re: Kalabari People! by jimbakey: 1:58pm On Jul 29, 2009
Mbre,
come join the "lovely people of bakana" group on facebook and lets chat. I am also a Bakana man from Marion Braide/Suku.

Tom Alabraba is actually your relative from Berepiki. His mum is Berepiki.

Lets meet up please. Our organisation, Pan-Bakana community development Initiative is organising a value reorientation summit in November, 2009. Visit our website @ www.theleaguebakana.org or www.pbcdi.org.

Good to see you here

1 Like

Re: Kalabari People! by sweetcoint(f): 4:38pm On Jul 30, 2009
please is Bayelsans allowed to be here cos i can speake and hear kalabari,
please if yes tell me let me share my own views i really want to catch fun here with you guys

1 Like

Re: Kalabari People! by na2day2(m): 6:13pm On Jul 30, 2009
sweetcoint:

please is Bayelsans allowed to be here cos i can speake and hear kalabari,
please if yes tell me let me share my own views i really want to catch fun here with you guys

plz, knock urself out, dont let us stop u. u are most welcome.  wink wink wink
Re: Kalabari People! by kiwi992(m): 12:15pm On Jul 31, 2009
Hi Jim,

Thanks for the invitation but I'd rather not get involved.  Sorry!

It disheartens me to think that people in Bakana are too busy fighting and killing each other over nothing.  How so bloody stupid.   

kiwi992.
Re: Kalabari People! by Nobody: 8:36pm On Aug 11, 2009
Bakana has a great future.The entire Bakana land from the Isaka boundary through the Cawthorne to Eagle island in PH seem like the BAHAMAS.
Re: Kalabari People! by Niflheim(m): 6:03pm On Aug 25, 2009
Hi!!!
Re: Kalabari People! by na2day2(m): 7:19pm On Aug 25, 2009
Niflheim:

Hi, my name is Reginald Daopubo Dokubo from Bakana and I would like to know more about the history of the Kalabari people.Plus I would also like to know if there is any Kalabari Associations here in Lagos.

I can help u with the history free of charge just bring the location fee of just 50,000 naira only grin
Re: Kalabari People! by Ibime(m): 12:07pm On Aug 28, 2009
killayut:

Bakana has a great future.The entire Bakana land from the Isaka boundary through the Cawthorne to Eagle island in PH seem like the BAHAMAS.

hmmmm. . . . I never knew that Eagle Island belongs to the people of Bakana.

Interesting reading you guys tales on here. It is funny that Kalabari likewise Okrika is full of eminent sons, and yet it is claimed that the people of Niger-Delta are backward.
Re: Kalabari People! by kiwi992(m): 12:49pm On Aug 30, 2009
Iyo Ibime,

Nde ani la oku?  Iri so i bekin na ama emi e? 

Take no no notice of any bugger that says those of us from the Niger Delta are 'backward'.  Backward my arse!  What do they know?  Fools! 

How so bloody ignorant and mis-informed of them for thinking so.  We are ten times smarter as well as better educated than they are or indeed, would ever be.  The evidence is all here for everyone to see.   

kiwi992.

NB:

Na2day - that was Okrika language I was speaking, just in case you wondered! grin
Re: Kalabari People! by na2day2(m): 1:37am On Aug 31, 2009
kiwi992:

Iyo Ibime,

Nde ani la oku?  Iri so i bekin na ama emi e? 

Take no no notice of any bugger that says those of us from the Niger Delta are 'backward'.  Backward my arse!  What do they know?  Fools! 

How so bloody ignorant and mis-informed of them for thinking so.  We are ten times smarter as well as better educated than they are or indeed, would ever be.  The evidence is all here for everyone to see.   

kiwi992.

NB:

Na2day - that was Okrika language I was speaking, just in case you wondered! grin 

i was wondering now that u said it grin grin
Re: Kalabari People! by kiwi992(m): 11:02pm On Aug 31, 2009
Hey Na2day,

As you know, the Okrika language is not too dis-similar to ours.  I'm sure you could speak it if you try. 

kiwi992.
Re: Kalabari People! by na2day2(m): 1:44am On Sep 01, 2009
kiwi992:

Hey Na2day,

As you know, the Okrika language is not too dis-similar to ours.  I'm sure you could speak it if you try. 

kiwi992.

yea i know, my friend is okrika and what he says sometimes sounds familiar smiley smiley
Re: Kalabari People! by kiwi992(m): 2:20pm On Sep 02, 2009
Hi All,

NA2DAY

Well, I told you so, didn't I?

The Okrika language, should I say, is like Kalabari with a twang.  No offence meant to our Okrika brothers and sisters, mind.  All the wars that we fought with them in the olden days are long forgotten.  Oh yeah, didn't we just?  We are all friends now - inikio.

Anyway, about this Reginald Dokubo guy - you've succeeded in driving him away from this thread with your demand for a sweetner (albeit a joke) before you could direct him to a source about Kalabari history, haven't ya?  Great!

I yim bere, i yeri so, ye kalaye igbigi ke i gbe.  Fua!!  I Tamuno i boi!  Mie ibi ke kini mien bara me so i bio bara te.  Okpai! grin grin

REGINALD

I learnt about Kalabari history whilst at primary school (CAC) in Bakana, as well as from the elders of our compound.  We were also taught how to write Kalabari at school, hence I'm able to do so. 

What I suggest you do is to write to the headmaster (or headmistress) at CAC School and ask him (or her) to recommend you a book or two about Kalabari history.  I'm sure he or she would gladly oblige.

You should also look-out for any book about Kalabari history written by one of our chiefs - Chief Dr Hutton of Buguma.  The guy is an English anthropologist but lived and settled in Buguma (Asari) and was crowned a Kalabari chief due to his immense interest and knowledge about Kalabari custom and tradition.  I don't know if he's still alive or not but any person from Buguma would confirm this.  I remember him correcting our Kalabari grammar, as kids.

As regards the Kalabari Association in Lagos, there's bound to be one.  Just ask around.  There used to be a Bakana Association in Lagos, whilst we lived there.  I remember Joe Iyalla and S D Akanibo meeting up with my dad at our house, before going to such meetings.  I'm sure it's still in existence.  That said, I'm going back many moons.

Good luck in your quest and don't take any notice of Na2day.  He was only kidding with his comments.

kiwi992.
Re: Kalabari People! by na2day2(m): 6:37pm On Sep 02, 2009
my intention was not to scare him off, just to make a dollar or 2 embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: Kalabari People! by kiwi992(m): 6:41pm On Sep 02, 2009
Hey Na2day,

You're alright man.  Just kidding.

kiwi992.
Re: Kalabari People! by jimbakey: 11:32am On Sep 08, 2009
Mbre omongibo Kiwi,
Ari erim mine se igani kpoma te ibu emi. Sisi ama ke fomu te ere ke oki. Bakana me sime ari bara me ani tombo toru owu minji pakama ari. Ama me gbosima obu da-ari bara me wa moku ye miea-a  bebe, ba turo koju wamine awome anie ani ke toru si eri bari ye.

Sisi, wamine ogbo me ye bete doki ari ayi ma, wa bim wa ida (Dr. CI Brepike na piki japu na) ama bio korite ibi korinama ma ge pakama bote tomi ani gote bebe e, ini so ba oko diki ma te ina dumo anga bari bara anie wa diki ari.(bekin ani sim "role model", "mentor").

Ida bu wa ge wurari ayi ma diki te sin be ye emi bebe ani sin wapiri. Aniania, swa be ye piki emi bebe piki ani ke swa wamine piri. Ari ani ke obolo wurari miju. Imiete!
Re: Kalabari People! by kiwi992(m): 1:05pm On Sep 09, 2009
Iyimbere Jim,

Tari ye - imiete.

Main karamaye - nde i mu i ere ke munju ke ari be bara?  Nde imiete i ere me nimi bara?  Pa sisi, ari i tekem - i ere me sin, i miete.  Mie anie internet.  Munju wa ke ari beye me so, go ari be bo so wa nimi ya.   

Tirei karamaye - nde i mu i da gbolo maye ke munju kuro mari be bara?  Sisi anie me so sin.  Imiete.

Ini karamaye - I dugo ye goye goye, a n-am. 

Mie wamine ama bu pakari beye me, sun te i biongbo sima lama wu rari.  I yeri, ama bo i tari lama te, gbala buro, bekin na ama me bu anga me i furo bin te.  Kuma, nde a miete ama bo bari be bara?  Ama ofiri ari!  Bakana be apu ini owuso so te i na bu ba-ari.  I yeri anie me miete i biongbo sun te si lama wu rari.  Ama bu n weni owuso-a kuma, bekin na ama bu apa sime te tiye doki ari?  A biye goye goye, Tamuno oke i piri fama te.  N weni owuso-a kuma Bakana bu, ngbe i yeri, ari ama bo kura bio i bere a-a.  Bekina ama buro i ya ama?  Bakana anie koko i ya ama - i da Bakana, i yingi Bakana.  I yeri gbo sima Bakana be furo tubo.  A mangi tanga mu be?  Wa pa Tamuno teke ari mine se owu me pa fa-a, Bakana bu.  I yeri jen ama anga me i furo bin te.  Ti ye paka?       

Ama ofiri ari go te, i yeri, ari ine te ama bo biya, gbala gbala.  Tamuno so duku ma!  A piki ine te ama be ogbo so, so biya.  I yingi fite, i da fite, ama ogono bu abo tiye mie ba?  Ama te ini owuso ari be ama anie a buro bo be ye?  A bo te ini iba?  Tubo i digi digi ba, a weni ama bo kuma?   I yim bere, anie woriso sisi.   

I ya ikia apu te wa iru wu rari saki, men gba goye goye, a ba ri ine te ina lekiri bi ya.  I nimgba n duba fama te.  I na dumo so kiri te, nye so kiri te.  I na bu be japu so fi te.  Mioku, ari ama bo kuma, ari ine tubo lekiri ba?

I yeri be, ma ama la-a be bra, koko ala lama te.  Jen ama, jen ama, anie mbo angari be ye, be-e kura bio.  Lagos na bekin na ama na. 

Mie, Nigeria be omu me te, Biafra a tomi Bakana be apu de sin wu rari kura bio, i yeri, i buo ma ama la-a.  I sim ama bo itari ya?

Sisi, a du go ayi ma, ke bio bara ma.  Imiete.

Dein na si me.

kiwi992.
Re: Kalabari People! by Ogaga4Luv(m): 12:25pm On Sep 10, 2009
hehehehe. . . . . . grin grin Those Nicked walking people in the Movie:The God's Must Be Crazy Well,i think there's some mix up here ,you trying to say ther are Nigerians or. . .
Re: Kalabari People! by jimbakey: 10:08am On Sep 14, 2009
Mbre Omongibo,
Igani ma ari i tomina ere ke isim gote, sisi. Ari ini na miju biama ye me kpoma te ibio belema lamam. Ida gboloma ye me te a ge ye meso ari ani sin te. Miemie so iganimari bebe si woriso ipiri.

Amiete inimi bara anie me buro ala? I ge ari ayi ma gban tombo ani go kuma mbo ine te ilekiri ba. Idukom mine se iyeri ci Berepiki tubo na piki Plane gboloma ye te ige ari ayi ma. Tombo ani ke google search ye kuma ilekiri me buro kuroye? Yeri so miju afi-ari be ere me ke google search ye kuma itomina ere pakabo ba.

Wamine ama me ani sibara sibara, wamine anie ine te piki ani telema bari ye. sigima bo goye, goye imbo ine te mie bari beye te amame ere gbusunuma bari ye goye, goye, imbo mie.
Wa bari ama me ere ke siye fie ma.

Omongiapu bem mine se ma opoli gboloma fulo anie miete ani bu gbem sigima bo goye, goye imbo inete miete ama me lolo bari ye goye, goye mie.

Ama me bo meni gbala, gbala itari ya beso, i pa bukuroma te ani bio korinama kori su bari-a. Ine te bara swa omina polo ania-nia omina wari bio su so, iye miete. Miemie ke kuroma bu su. Turoko, ba-a ju, ye sime bari bara gborubo so nimi-a. Imiete!

Take a virtual tour of Berepiki and Iyalla compounds. Click on the attached links.
http://www.maplandia.com/nigeria/rivers/portharcourt/bakana/squares/iyalla-compound/

http://www.maplandia.com/nigeria/rivers/portharcourt/bakana/squares/berepiki-compound/
http://www.maplandia.com/nigeria/rivers/portharcourt/bakana/
Re: Kalabari People! by kiwi992(m): 6:28pm On Sep 16, 2009
I yim bere,

Tariye - imiete, gbala buro i, i ere na piki i da gboloma ye me sin m, munju bu.

Main kara maye - i bem mine se:

Wa bari ama me ere ke siye fie ma.

I yeri so i koko nimi wu rari mine, wa mine ama me bu n koko gbosu ma owu so te ine abu ba ri. Anie me buro iruo ye?  Ani buro fiye ari mine se mbo si ere ke ama sin ari?  Mbo si ere ke ama sin ya, gbala gbala!  Kra kra ye ani mbo dugo ari be ye - ibi o, si o - kra kra ye anie kra kra ye.  Weni mgba nimi wu rari mine Bakana bu ini owu so ari te piki ini abu bari.

Mie owu so amie ye me, anie miete Bakana ene goye goye ani obu dari be ye.  Jumo jumo belema me wa mine ama bu ofori.

In Kalabari and English:

THE SHAMEFUL CONSPIRACY BY THE PEOPLE OF BAKANA TO TRY AND KILL THE LATE DR C I BEREPIKI ON TRUMPED-UP CHARGES OF BEING A BIAFRA SUPPORTER, SOON AFTER THE NIGERIAN CIVIL WAR - THE FACTS:

Tirei karama ye - Si si, ba ri Bakana tele ma bara dugo i pirima.  I da kori Bakana piri ye me ibi te.

Thirdly - please don’t talk to me about doing something to improve Bakana.  What my late dad did for the town before his death was more than enough.

Mie Biafra omu me fa ye, Bakana be apu kele kon te ini ida be ba te!.  Ini mu iruo te dugo ari mine se ori be, o Biafra be apu anga bu som.  Ku ma, oko sime ye so ofori.  Opu iruo anie ini iruo ari beye.  I ruo!!!

May it be known by all and sundry, that the people of BAKANA nearly killed my dad, the late DR C I BEREPIKI, falsely accusing him of being a supporter of the Biafran cause, during the Nigerian civil war.  This was all fabricated – lies upon lies, borne out of jealousy or pure evil-mindedness!

Mie, omu me saki bê te anie wa Lagos bu mangi ama bo ye.  Wa bote ma ala-a, ogbo anie, gboru din bu, Bakana be ALA PU weni legi te bibi oki te i da be ton, mine se ori be Biafra be apu na Bakana ama me bu o gboku bu sime.

The fact is - we ran home to Bakana from Lagos, just before the start of the Nigerian civil war.  One evening, not long after our arrival in Bakana, ALL the chiefs of Bakana held a meeting and APPOINTED my late dad – Dr C I Berepiki to LIAISE with the Biafrans, on behalf of our town, Bakana.  He was thus made the go-between by the chiefs – their mouthpiece, (if you see what I mean), in dealing with matters concerning Biafra and Bakana.     

Mi kori nama anie okori ama me piri te Biafra be apu Bakana de sin ye.

All he ever did was simply, liaise with the Biafrans, as he was appointed to do, by all the chiefs of Bakana, before the town was evacuated by the rebels.

Kuma, omu me fa gboru saki, Bakana be apu n saki te iruo te mine se o Biafra be apu anga som, anie go te, ini oba be te.

However, immediately after the war, the people of Bakana started spreading lies, saying that he (the late Dr C I Berepiki) was a supporter of Biafra, hence, wanted to kill him. 

Ama ogono be apu ma, gbala buro, i nimi wu rari mine, wa mine dabo be o piki sun te i belema lama wu rari go te, n bem mine:

‘Omu Port Harcourt bu o tubo Bleep be kun te ke Bakana bo.  O mine okun bom be be, oda Clifford be ori ogo te Bakana bo ba.  O bo te be be, wa weni o kun te ani ju bu o ba, ba’.

Knowing how much my late dad loved me (and how close he and I were – just like two best friends), the people of Bakana even plotted to kidnap me from Port Harcourt to Bakana, saying that if they did that, he - my dad would go to Bakana and try to save me, at which point they would catch him and have him killed.

Gboru ene baka, te wa wari bu sime ari saki Diobu bu, anie omu gbin a tomi wa mine wari bo ye.  N weni i da be kun te weni ori oki te ke Brigadier Danjuma turo ko mu, GRA, Port bu.  Bakana be apu, anie mu iruo opiri ye.  Ini bi ari mine se ori be ida be ba, mine se ori be Biafra be apu anga som. 

One day, we were at home in Diobu when some Nigerian soldiers came in a jeep, arrested my late dad and took him to Brigadier Danjuma at the GRA in Port Harcourt inorder to be executed, for being a so-called ‘Biafra supporter’.  The people of Bakana wanted him dead, hence reported him to the brigadier, so that he would kill him for them! 

Mie, omu gbin a tomi sibi dabo be (Brigadier Danjuma) weni saki ye ke ida be gbola we-e ni, ma awa lam!  O yeke ogbola fama te anie o bo eri ye mine se wa mine dabo be omieye ofori, gbala gbala!  Anie go te, ane Brigadier Danjuma weni saki Bakana be apu ma gbola mi nese ‘mien sime tombo anie o bi ari mine wa ba?  Mie, wa weni oba kuma, o tubo yanate o kiri oki ba?

On being taken to Brigadier Danjuma, my late dad was interrogated for up to two hours.  It was established that he (the late Dr C I Berepiki) never, ever supported the Biafran cause and that he was only performing the duties bestowed upon him by all the chiefs of Bakana (that is – simply to liaise with the Biafrans on behalf of the town).

Brigadier Danjuma then turned round and asked those people of Bakana present, that wanted my dad dead, saying:

‘You want us to kill someone like this.  If we do kill him, who do you have in Bakana to replace him? 

Ani ju bu anie ori i da be wori so ye, te n weni oke wari bo. 

Needless to say, Brigadier Danjuma immediately set my dad (the late Dr C I Berepiki) FREE, thus bringing to an end, all the false accusations of being a Biafra supporter, spread by the people of Bakana, simply because they wanted him dead, for their own selfish reasons.

Shame on those evil buggers!  Any wonder as to why they are, today, still fighting members of Iyalla’s compound, trying to twist the history of Bakana inorder to suit them, all because of who founded Bakana as well as some cheap oil revenue. 

Like it or not, Bakana was founded by Paramount Chief India Yellowe who kindly handed over the ruling of the town to his cousin (Chief Braide) being that he was the elder of the two.  In Kalabari custom and tradition, an elderly person always comes first, hence this act of generosity.  Chief Braide then became the Amayanabo of Bakana.

Sadly, the history of Bakana as everyone knows it, is being twisted by members of Braide's family and their ilk, hence the senseless fighting and killing that's been going on for years, in that oil-producing town.

Bastards.

kiwi992.

NB:

Isn’t it so true that the pen is mightier than the sword?

Never in a million years did those blood-thirsty, evil buggers of Bakana dream that one day, the truth would come to light, espoused by one of the sons of the late Dr C I Berepiki that’s considered to be lost in the UK and never to surface again.

Well, I’m still here, doing fine, whilst you bloody lot are fighting amongst yourselves and killing each other over nothing, in Bakana.

Oh yeah, and read all what I’ve written here in Nairaland (and elsewhere), and see if any of you lot can ever match me in any way, shape or form, when it comes to education and smartness.  I got all that from the extremely intelligent and highly educated man you lot wanted to kill for no apparent reason.  It runs in the family.  Just remember that.

I’m here to avenge all what you buggers put my late dad through, after the Nigerian civil war, but for Brigadier Danjuma sparing his life because the man never did anything wrong.

By the way, my late mum, Joniba Ekwe Duke was from Sokunoma Polo as well as LongJohn’s compound in Bakana.  I’m not just a Berepiki or an Iyalla so, would never take sides.  Just laying down the facts exactly as they are.

Ever wondered as to why I never set foot in Bakana right from when the war ended?  Add to that, thirty five (35) years in the UK and go bloody figure!  I’m just a citizen of Bakana in name and nothing more. 

Tell you the truth, if I were my late dad, I’d never have done anything whatsoever, to help the people of Bakana or indeed, improve the town, in view of what its citizens wanted to do to him.
Re: Kalabari People! by jimbakey: 11:28am On Sep 17, 2009
kiwi,
My own dad, late Mr. C.J. Miller was also a victim as he was killed by the Nigeiran army over false accusations of collaborating with the biafrans right in front of Abraham Solo's house. They also looked for my sisters and i with my 3 months old yunger brother to be eliminated after my father. So you are not alone here. My experience is even worse. I never really knew my dad as i was about 2 yrs old at the time.

The tantrum and vile in your write up is not necessary at all. Yes, you were wronged but i had worse experience but i have since moved on. I dont have any other town to call my own apart from Bakana.

As for your achievement, well keep it to yourself. Its of no use if you can't use it to better your kith and kin back at home. Bakana will move on with or without you.

By the way, your father was a legend in his time and that's what matters to us. Have a nice day!
Re: Kalabari People! by kiwi992(m): 8:16pm On Sep 17, 2009
Mate,

You MUST learn to respect someone's:

1.  Privacy

You recently posted an attachment here, relating to my late dad's profile, as well as addressed me by my real Kalabari name.  You shouldn't have done that 'cos that's my own prerogative and never yours.  Get it?

Yeah, you did eventually remove them because I asked you to do so.  However, that wasn't a very wise thing to do 'cos my dad's profile should have come directly from someone like me, who is related to him by blood and definitely not you.  Again, I should have been the one to volunteer my real name in this Forum, had I wanted to do so.  My name is kiwi992, fullstop.

Moreover, I'm NOT interested in getting to know anyone here on personal terms.  That was very forward of you, if you really want to know.

2.  Wishes

As I've always hinted on this thread, I'm NOT interested in joining you lot on Facebook to chat about Bakana, okay?  I declined your invitation and you should have got the hint then.  Neither am I interested in doing anything to improve an unstable town such as Bakana.  You should stop telling people in terms of what they should and shouldn't do in Bakana.  STOP being so pushy.

Most of my life has been spent abroad and I can't see the point in getting involved in anything relating to Bakana.  I won't even be able to find my way around the town if I went there, let alone chat with strangers who say they are from that town. I'm a citizen of Bakana yes, but only in name, and nothing more.

3. Making a 'vile' statement and throwing a 'tantrum'?

You must be bloody joking if that's what you think about my speaking the truth.

There isn't anything vile or throwing a tantrum about what I posted in terms of what the evil buggers of Bakana nearly did to my late dad.

The truth is always bitter, I guess, in view of the ongoing fighting and killings amongst the citizens of Bakana (all due to some stupid notion as to who founded the town - as if that bloody mattered for one bit), is being posted here for everyone to read and see how senseless the fighting is.

My advice to you - in future, learn to use those two words in their proper contexts.  Failing that, don't even go there.

4.  Whatever I have achieved in my life is only for me and nobody else.

Understand?

That's what living in a higly individualistic society such as the UK in all these years, teaches the one.  You achieve things inorder to better your own life and nobody else's.  You must always look after number one, they say.  That number one is me, myself and I.  Sod everybody else!  I come first.  If you don't look after number one, then nobody would.

Moreover, you go and help somebody or try and do something in that bloody town and those evil people would use your own money to kill you with black magic.  Failing that, they'd set fire to your house in the middle of the night or indeed, destroy whatever you've done to improve the town!  Oh yeah - those bloody fuckers - that's what they are like!  Full of jealousy and hatred.  Who ever wants to go to a town like that?

My (late) friend - Ibanibo Lawson, went home to Abonnema on holidays, for just a couple of weeks.  He was fit and healthy when he left England.  Guess what?  He never came back!  The evil buggers in that town killed him off with black magic within just a week of his arrival there.  Sod all that!  If I haven't learnt a lesson from that, then I'd never learn again.

5.  Dr C I Berepiki was a 'legend' in his lifetime

Glad you can say that. 

Put it this way - if I were in Nigeria when he was helping all those people in Bakana, I'd have advised him never to do so, considering that they wanted him dead, in the first place.  Trust me, he'd have listened to me and nobody else.

6.  As long as there's continued fighting in Bakana, the town is doomed, with no future whatsoever, for its citizens

Take my word for it - not in a million years will Bakana improve, as long as the fighting and killings go on, in that town.

By the way, a town doesn't 'move on' - a person does.  Again, learn to use the English words in their proper contexts or don't even bother attempting to speak colloquial English. 

7.  In future

You must learn to show respect, take hints, stop being too forward and pushy.

Yes, you might be a very patriotic citizen of Bakana but not everyone of us is.  Some of us have our loyalties elsewhere, and that most certainly includes me.

kiwi992.
Re: Kalabari People! by fabian(f): 10:51pm On Sep 19, 2009
kiwi992:

I yim bere,

Tariye - imiete, gbala buro i, i ere na piki i da gboloma ye me sin m, munju bu.

Main kara maye - i bem mine se:

I yeri so i koko nimi wu rari mine, wa mine ama me bu n koko gbosu ma owu so te ine abu ba ri. Anie me buro iruo ye? Ani buro fiye ari mine se mbo si ere ke ama sin ari? Mbo si ere ke ama sin ya, gbala gbala! Kra kra ye ani mbo dugo ari be ye - ibi o, si o - kra kra ye anie kra kra ye. Weni mgba nimi wu rari mine Bakana bu ini owu so ari te piki ini abu bari.

Mie owu so amie ye me, anie miete Bakana ene goye goye ani obu dari be ye. Jumo jumo belema me wa mine ama bu ofori.

For someone who doesn't live in 9ja , speaking your language like this, Omo, I had to sign in and give you props, It's such a pleasure to see this, but I know how you feel about your town, Just wanted to say Tamuno dein e na sime, e sime anga sime anga, Tonkiri si lan were kuma wane Dabo ngeri ani sie woriso wane piri e. Ama bio pakarie ame, wane toru fingi ta pu ane digi te ibiye ke troko da bariye. Wa ke wane amowe na ina awome na toluma bariye ane ba pakabariye toluma bariye,
Re: Kalabari People! by na2day2(m): 4:50am On Sep 20, 2009
fabian:

For someone who doesn't live in 9ja , speaking your language like this, Omo, I had to sign in and give you props, It's such a pleasure to see this, but I know how you feel about your town, Just wanted to say Tamuno dein e na sime, e sime anga sime anga, Tonkiri si lan were kuma wane Dabo ngeri ani sie woriso wane piri e. Ama bio pakarie ame, wane toru fingi ta pu ane digi te ibiye ke troko da bariye. Wa ke wane amowe na ina awome na toluma bariye ane ba pakabariye toluma bariye,

i dey vex ooo, why u no give me props too, me self sabi speak the language na, i bi professional kalabari speaker, i dey level 7 angry angry angry
Re: Kalabari People! by ow11(m): 8:56am On Sep 20, 2009
I yimbere Kiwi and Jim, bari kam ma. . . . Omini Bakana awo.

na2day?:

i dey vex ooo, why u no give me props too, me self sabi speak the language na, i bi professional kalabari speaker, i dey level 7 angry angry angry

T'ye gote e kalabari kee a?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply)

Ramses, Cleopatra, Nefertiti: Original Egyptians Were Black? / If You Are From Cross River Or Akwa Ibom, This Topic Is For You. Sosongo. / Simple Yoruba Words / Phrases And Sentences?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 136
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.