Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,478 members, 7,812,473 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:55 PM

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 - Travel (326) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 (892051 Views)

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (323) (324) (325) (326) (327) (328) (329) ... (333) (Go Down)

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by shelly23: 1:02am On Oct 07, 2015
If your budget is tight, stay away from Orlando. There are no cheap hospitals or doctors and everything is billed separately so you'll end up paying a lot more that you planned.

I'm currently in orlando, had my baby here (Winnie palmer hospital) and i paid a lot more than the quotes you have so I know first hand that the cost is not friendly at all.

Marchmum:
Hello NLs,

New MTB here.. I have read alot and I am grateful for finding this site.

Answers to a few questions will help.

I Planned to have my baby in Orlando as I have family there, but the cheapest I got is 3500 doctors, 4700 hospital totaling 8,200k (WinterPark Memorial). I am working with a tight budget so I want to make sure I am getting the best and cheapest deal.

I have the option to go to any other city in Florida or San Antonio, Philadelphia and New Jersey (any experience in the mentioned cities or states? Figures will help)

Please please please. I promise to give back with my experience and tips to help other people.

Many thanks.

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by olokings(m): 1:14am On Oct 07, 2015
Update on ma story so far.
Had my precious one 29th September

Bills are as thus -

Obgyn - $2,990.00 (all inclusive as detailed earlier)
Hospital - $4,500.00
NICS (nursery pead) - $514.90 (discounted)
Epidural - they re quoting $1,500.00 buh I'm going to tackle them tmro Pronto. .. no be my head dem go open mkt. .mbah!

Got baby's birth cert ystrday 5th October.
Went for psprt and collected it same day 6th October.
Gonna mk contact for ETC.
Leaving ds hood next week while my lil prince n momma is coming as scheduled.

So there it is. ..
Missionary journey completed and the convert is gonna be coopted into our naija lifestyle very soon.
Hehehe
Best regards to all the prospectives in the house.

13 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by olokings(m): 1:18am On Oct 07, 2015
Terese69 I dey see u for background ooh. ....
Mk u go lick plenty honey so dt d words to sweeet wella for attacking things ooh
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Terese69: 1:49am On Oct 07, 2015
First missionary journey accomplished. Thanks to all too numerous to mention for your help and support. Especially Mr. and Mrs. Olokings.

My bills are as follows:
Doctors fee - $2,400 (Inclusive of all lab tests done at the doctor's clinic, sonogram and prenatal vitamins)
Hospital fee - $3,000 (Vaginal delivery, 2 days hospital stay. The 2 days start counting after delivery).
Non stress test - $50 (Was such a waste of time and money but the doctor insisted it was important)
Hospital paediatrician - $600.58 (Including hearing test of approx. $135)
External paediatrician - $180 ($90 per appointment, I had 2 follow up appointments. The second one was a total waste of money and time but don’t quote me)
Epidural - $700
Labs - $100.50
Total medical bill = $7,031.08

BC was ready 4 working days after delivery. The whole documentation process took 8 working days from the day I picked up the BC to the day I got the Nigerian visa.

I used an agent in Dallas so I didn’t have to post documents o

BC – $23 per copy + $2 for the plastic envelop for safekeeping (optional)
Passport – $165 expedited. Same day pick up
Nigerian Visa - $295 (Got it after 4 working days)

I used uber as my mode of transportation the whole time. It may seem cheap compared to other cabs but it adds up quickly. I spent approximately $1,300 in 2.5 months. I’m not sure how much it costs to rent a car but if you are adventurous and have a license, I think it works out cheaper to do so not to mention that it is way more convenient. I heard that “lyft” is cheaper than uber but I never tried it out.

Thank God it ended in Praise. Na Lagos I dey see so!

30 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by firsttymum(f): 2:07am On Oct 07, 2015
Awwwww

Olokings congratulations again
Teresa69 very detailed.. Congratulations... U saw and av conquered.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by deeore: 3:14am On Oct 07, 2015
@Gracemum....congrats on your successful poe. ..I guess we were on the same flight, but I never saw any other preggo aside from me, well maybe like you said it's cause your bump isn't showing that much....congratulations once again...
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by queenestty: 4:50am On Oct 07, 2015
Thank you. Did you write it all in full or the last four digit.

I have fill it though, but I fill the whole numbers and am thinking if I did it right.

Amother4life:

It all depends on the post office. The one we used the guy told us point blank to wait until we received the SSN before he could accept our application. Thankfully it came two days later.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by kaakaa(f): 4:54am On Oct 07, 2015
Wow...@olokings I do marvel at the way your so involved in all this birthing process.... your wife is soo lucky, I hope she knows that.... congrats again
@terese69, congrats and welldone, quite an impressive writeup....

5 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by ozycy: 5:20am On Oct 07, 2015
gaggle:
Chim O, I don tire for obodo oyibo! (sorry guys, just exhaling... lol). Can't wait to go home o.

Congrats to all with successful poe stories, I wish you all a happy stay
You no taya pass me. I have really taya here. I want to go home. Nigeria my country grin
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by favoredgal: 5:31am On Oct 07, 2015
olokings:
Update on ma story so far.
Had my precious one 29th September

Bills are as thus -

Obgyn - $2,990.00 (all inclusive as detailed earlier)
Hospital - $4,500.00
NICS (nursery pead) - $514.90 (discounted)
Epidural - they re quoting $1,500.00 buh I'm going to tackle them tmro Pronto. .. no be my head dem go open mkt. .mbah!

It's $1500 for epidural at all Methodist hospitals even in Houston

Congrats on the successful journey
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by MumTee: 8:13am On Oct 07, 2015
neks31:

Yes in Texas! Waiting for more info I can't wait for them to wake up. I hope she wil be very detailed when I bombard her with all my questions.

@neks31, any news from your aunt-inlaw as regards the
hospital offering 4700 package for CS in san antonio ? we are
itching for information o. Thanks

3 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Nobody: 8:32am On Oct 07, 2015
dyout:
This is the consent form
http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/212243.pdf

You either notarized at the Embassy or Notary public

Confirmed that one can only notarise at the embassy if ur giving birth at el Paso.

My issue is hubby wnt be around at all,both in Nigeria and el Paso.has any mom been in my shoes before and how did they sort out the form without hubby?
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Nobody: 8:38am On Oct 07, 2015
FinanceFitness:
Not sure this is correct - You need the embassy one at Elpaso.

Thank you!
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Nobody: 9:11am On Oct 07, 2015
abiscomama:

Confirmed that one can only notarise at the embassy if ur giving birth at el Paso.

My issue is hubby wnt be around at all,both in Nigeria and el Paso.has any mom been in my shoes before and how did they sort out the form without hubby?

Is there any US embassy at the place hubby will be at that time? I doubt there is any other way around it.

Have you considered getting hubby to do it now with a Notary Public, send it over to you and you go to any other city in Texas where it will be accepted when baby is born?

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by justwise(m): 9:37am On Oct 07, 2015
@All

Please there is no need profiling a Dr, hospital and cost here while giving account of journey, this is not fair to hospitals that have to pay to place their ads here while others are having a free in-thread ad.

Please we need to understand this.

Thank you.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Nobody: 9:38am On Oct 07, 2015
Phema:

Is there any US embassy at the place hubby will be at that time? I doubt there is any other way around it.

Have you considered getting hubby to do it now with a Notary Public, send it over to you and you go to any other city in Texas where it will be accepted when baby is born?

Going to another city might be the best way out for me. I will just search for the closest city...thanks a lot.

Meanwhile pls which one is the ds-11 form someone just asked about?
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Gracemum: 10:20am On Oct 07, 2015
@firsttymum. Woke up to dis and jus started lafing. Hmmm! Kpekusing, mayb at d same time! Waow!!! Stil dey fink am. + d oda 3confirmed kpekuses. - olokings, etc cheesy
firsttymum:
Congratulations gracemum... Our stories are similar... I traveled to d US for vacation... Na so the kpekusing click o. Hehhehehhehehe

Valentines day kpekusing... #picksrace I no fit shout.

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by olokings(m): 10:22am On Oct 07, 2015
Hehe. .....hmmm see moni. ..
I go still gbege them sha even though I go carry d cash for Pocket. ....
Meehn epis is not smiling ooh. ..
Approx. #300k+ for pain mgt. ...see moni. ..
Okie na, mk I go look my boi fine face n smile dt d moni is change compare to ease n rest of his momma. . kiss

favoredgal:

It's $1500 for epidural at all Methodist hospitals even in Houston

Congrats on the successful journey

5 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by arisharpven: 10:24am On Oct 07, 2015
Hello everyone,
I joined this forum recently, and i have gained alot! Thanks to everyone for their contributions, its really been helpful. Please i have two issues bothering me, i got my visa last year (2014), and traveled for vacation, got pregnant early this year and will be due by Dec, i intend to travel to the US for the birth, do i need to email the embassy on change of intent? is it necessary, since i used the visa last year for vacation. secondly, my passport is still in my maiden name, will that affect me when traveling back with my baby since the baby's passport will be in her father's name? I would really appreciate your responses.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Gracemum: 10:45am On Oct 07, 2015
@deeore.
ThankU. Flight time wz 11:05 pm. Got to CDG Paris 6:20am. Left 8:20am got to JFK 10:25am. If I describe me& u were there, u wud defnitely hav noticed me, though not my bump. Was really surprised in MMIA wen the AF lady gave her advice as truly baby bump ain't noticeabl at a glance. I noticed anoda preggie from a distance. Above average height, dark complexioned, wearing a black top. Congrats to ur successful poe story too.

deeore:
@Gracemum....congrats on your successful poe. ..I guess we were on the same flight, but I never saw any other preggo aside from me, well maybe like you said it's cause your bump isn't showing that much....congratulations once again...
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by drfdee: 11:01am On Oct 07, 2015
Goodmorning evone,I got to houston yesterday 6th of October,my POE experience was fantastic.I spent less Dan 2 mins win the guy that questioned mi.he only asked mi for wre I intended to stay nd wen I told him the hotel name I already booked, he told mi it's cheaper to get an apartment.

he asked if my hubby will come to join mi later but i told him no because he is a businessman nd he is very busy.
last question was how much do i av nd i told him den he was like childbirth is usually between 6-8k .
He told mi to av a pleasant stay and name my child after him.
He did not check anytin apart from my printed copy of myself nd Dr Fagbohun exchanged a mail.
Passing tru Houston airport is very very ok sha
For now am stayin in one of d hotels in town
I need an apartment as soon as possible cos I only paid for 2 nyts in dis hotel
Fdee99@yahoo.com is my email address in case of see is anyone dat is interested in sharing an apartment wiv mi or if I can help mi out wiv an affordable accommodation.
Thanks.

(quote author=LadyGuinivere post=38728686]
Congrats.
Check www.skyscanner.com or www.wakanow.com[/quote]

4 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by twingirls: 11:32am On Oct 07, 2015
With God all things are possible, after praying and researching, I got my visa approved today. My interview can't be more dan a minute, maximum two, will be back to share d transcript.

6 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Nobody: 12:10pm On Oct 07, 2015
arisharpven:
Hello everyone,
I joined this forum recently, and i have gained alot! Thanks to everyone for their contributions, its really been helpful. Please i have two issues bothering me, i got my visa last year (2014), and traveled for vacation, got pregnant early this year and will be due by Dec, i intend to travel to the US for the birth, do i need to email the embassy on change of intent? is it necessary, since i used the visa last year for vacation. secondly, my passport is still in my maiden name, will that affect me when traveling back with my baby since the baby's passport will be in her father's name? I would really appreciate your responses.

-Yes, you should inform the embassy. Better safe than sorry.

-You shouldn't encounter any problems on your return leg because of your maiden being on your passport. Have your baby's birth certificate in your hand luggage, just incase. . .

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Nobody: 12:11pm On Oct 07, 2015
abiscomama:
Going to another city might be the best way out for me. I will just search for the closest city...thanks a lot.
Meanwhile pls which one is the ds-11 form someone just asked about?

It's a form you fill at the passport agency or post office when applying for your baby's passport. I think it can be filled online too.

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by shelly23: 12:13pm On Oct 07, 2015
It's not cheap in naija either, I paid 180k back in 2011 and i'm sure it's gone up since then.

olokings:
Hehe. .....hmmm see moni. ..
I go still gbege them sha even though I go carry d cash for Pocket. ....
Meehn epis is not smiling ooh. ..
Approx. #300k+ for pain mgt. ...see moni. ..
Okie na, mk I go look my boi fine face n smile dt d moni is change compare to ease n rest of his momma. . kiss

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by deeore: 12:22pm On Oct 07, 2015
@Gracemum
Yeah same flight and that preggie was me...lol
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Gracemum: 12:33pm On Oct 07, 2015
@anonymousmum. Thanks a lot. Truly #GodWin.

anonymousmum:

These are the stories that make me smile smiley congratulations
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by bestnews: 12:45pm On Oct 07, 2015
@ olokings na magic show me way oh, u know say our children na triplets from different mothers and fathers
I sent you a pm,

(1) (2) (3) ... (323) (324) (325) (326) (327) (328) (329) ... (333)

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 21 / Polish Student Visa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.